• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 32,767 Views, 3,011 Comments

My Twilight Facade - axelsempai



Suddenly, I'm Twilight Sparkle and I don't want to be here.

  • ...
100
 3,011
 32,767

PreviousChapters Next
Loose Ends

My friends and I, as well as Spike, sat at the usual table of the usual cafe we visit together. For a while, I was just listening to my friends take turns explaining what happened in Appleloosa. It started with a boring train ride, when disaster struck as a bunch of buffalo stole one of the train cars early in the morning. From there, my friends were split up; Rainbow, Pinkie, and Spike were hangin' with the buffalo (who knew they revered dragons so much?) while the others continued into Appleloosa. They met up later and explained both sides to each other, but they couldn't agree on who was in the right.

When Pinkie told me about the song she sang that sparked the conflict into a full-scale battle, I threw my head back with laughter. "There's no way a song could be so bad that it starts a culture war! I'll have to hear it for myself!"

"Okie-doki-loki!" Pinkie ducked under the table and hopped back up moments later, wearing a burlesque stage dress complete with those fish-net leggings on her forelegs. Pinkie breathed in and began to sing.

We may be divided

But of you a-

Rainbow shoved a hoof in her mouth to silence her. "Yeah, maybe we can do that some other time."

I was puzzled about everyone's reaction to her singing, but I didn't press the issue. We had an otherwise cheerful meal together and finished eating a little later. Since I was in such a good mood, I picked up the bill, but that was no reason to split up just yet. Rarity was the first to ask about my week. "So, we know you've worked on magic, but what else did you do, Twilight?"

I recounted my week. "Well, first I saw a movie-"

"Which one?" Rarity asked.

"Rainmaker."

"Ooh, was it good?" Rainbow inquired excitedly.

"No, it sucked." Rainbow deflated at that, while I continued. "Then I went to the gym, got kicked out of the gym, walked around town for a bit, I drank a little, and I slept in a lot."

My friends stared at me, obviously expecting more from me. That was understandable, considering what they did with their week. "That's it?" Rainbow asked, being the first to voice her disappointment.

"Pretty much." I confirmed with a shrug.

"But weren't you lonely all on your own for a whole week?" Fluttershy asked.

I waved her concern away. "I don't get lonely."

"What!?" Pinkie barked in disbelief. "How can you not be lonely after a week of living alone? That would drive me bonkers!"

We all shared a moment looking at Pinkie, remembering what kind of behavior Pinkie thinks is "normal". "...Well, it helps that I was reading a lot of comics."

"Is that all? That's sounds boring!" Pinkie commented. "You really should have come to Appleloosa with us. It was a blast!"

I propped my head up with a hoof, hiding the glint of indignation in my eyes. "Yeah, sounds like it. Too bad I didn't go, huh?"

"Indeed, it would have been nice to at least get your input on the situation." Rarity agreed. "You do seem to be full of helpful advice."

"Well, I didn't go, so what can you do?" I asked with a sliver of irritation.

Rarity stood up from her seat. "Anyway, it was nice catching up with you, but I'm afraid I must be going. I haven't quite finished unpacking, and I need to check on Opal."

Pinkie hopped to her hooves. "Yeah, and I have to make sure the Cakes aren't too swamped with orders! Oh, and I have to check on Gummy, too!"

I was going to ask who Gummy was, but Fluttershy spoke first. "And I'm sure the animals are so worried about me!"

Rainbow said a quick farewell and flew off. I waved off the others as they left, all except for Applejack. "So, don't you have something you need to be checking on?" I asked her.

"Actually, ah do. Ah need to talk to ya."

I tilted my head curiously. "Okay, what do you want to talk about?"

"Well, it's about yer lyin'."

I thought I knew were this was going, so I sighed. "We've been over this, remember? I'm lying to cover up a secret, and I'm not going to tell you what I'm hiding."

"No no, ah think ah understand what's goin' on." Applejack corrected. I narrowed my eyes in anticipation. She thinks she figured me out? This ought to be good. "Yer not comfortable tellin' us about yerself because ya think we'll shun ya fer yer differences."

"True." I admitted.

Applejack stared at me in silence for a moment, not expecting such an easy admission from me. "...Right. So ah just want ya to know that we care about ya, sugarcube. You can tell us anything."

"Noted and dismissed." I said, which made her expression harden. "I'm still not telling you anything."

"What? But we're yer best friends!" She protested.

"Best friends? I doubt that, since you could obviously be better."

Applejack paled at my words. "How can ya say that, Twi? What's gotten into ya all of a sudden?"

"Oh, I don't know." I initially pretended ignorance, gradually escalating into sullen frustration. "Maybe a best friend would at least extend an invitation for a trip to her other best friend, especially when she invites everyone else?"

"What are ya talkin' about?" Applejack angrily demanded.

"Appleloosa, Applejack. You invited everyone except me. Really, you should have expected me to be a bit more upset about it than I am."

"But ah did invite ya!" She protested.

"How was I supposed to receive this 'invitation'? Was I supposed to get a message from your telepathy, or...?"

"Ah don't even have magic! Ah just told Spike to let ya know when he came by the farm!"

"Yeah right, because Spike never said anything about a trip to Appleloosa until he was already gone!"

We glared at each other for a few seconds as realization slowly dawned on us. If Applejack sent an invitation through Spike, then why don't we ask Spike about it? We turned to Spike for answers, and it looked like he was pretty nervous about something. "Well, Spike? Did Applejack really invite me on this trip to Appleloosa?"

Spike looked between the two of us and knew that he couldn't bluff his way out of this one. "Yeah."

"Alright, so what happened to the invitation?"

Spike shrunk back and lowered his voice. "I forgot to tell you."

"Bull." I snapped. "You didn't forget, because you at least knew well enough ahead of time to prepare for the trip and leave without me. I only knew you left because there was a note on the kitchen table, and you could have told me at any point before then. So I'll ask again: What happened to my invitation?"

Spike looked down, unwilling to meet my eyes. "I didn't tell you."

I shook my head in disapproval. "So you intentionally kept it a secret. You didn't want me to go on a trip with my friends, so you just left without a word! So you know what? I'm going to make sure you regret doing this to me."

Spike looked up with fearful eyes. "What are you gonna do to me?"

I briefly thought about it. "You know how they built up to that finale in Power Ponies? You know how Masked Matterhorn is on her own to save the other ponies from being brainwashed into a hair-obsessed death cult with only that colossal fuck up, Humdrum, to help her?"

"Yeah?"

"You're not allowed to read that for a month."

"Aw, come on, Twilight!"

I crossed my arms resolutely. "I've made up my mind. You will not see that satisfying conclusion until it is four weeks out of date." Spike moaned and slouched into his chair. I turned back to Applejack. "I'm sorry I accused you of ditching me like that."

"That's okay." Applejack said. "So, am ah still not one of yer best friends?"

"No, you're definitely one of my best friends." I assured her.

Applejack cracked a smile. "That's good to hear, you're one of my best friends, too." She paused. "So, do ya think you could talk to us about yerself?"

I shook my head with a chuckle. "I don't think so. I'll continue being mysterious."

"So you still don't trust us?"

I lowered my head. "I'm still thinking about it."

Applejack sighed. "Oh well, ah can't force ya to tell me anythin'." She stood up from her seat. "Still, if ya ever want to talk about it, you can come to us anytime."

"Thanks, AJ. I will."

"Right. Ah gotta get back to the farm. Heh, Apple Bloom an' Granny are probably blowin' a gasket wonderin' where ah am right now. See ya around, sugarcube."

I waved at her. "Bye, Applejack." She departed back to her farm, leaving Spike and I alone. I told Spike that we should head home as well, and we left, too.

I didn't look at Spike the whole way home. Not just because I was upset that he would hide something like that from me, but I was also lost in thought. I doubted Spike would do something like this with the real Twilight. It was too callous for siblings as close as them, so Spike's actions were only explainable if he still knew about me. It turns out he wasn't fooled by my bluffing earlier, despite my best efforts to make it more believable. This was a regrettable turn of events, but I would have to deal with it. The game was on once again.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It was the middle of the afternoon, somewhere around two. I entered Carousel Boutique with a saddlebag, and the entry bell chimed to signal my arrival. The room was as pristine as it ever was. Emerging from an adjacent room was the one pony that I was hoping to see at that moment. Rarity smiled in welcoming. "Ah, hello Twilight! It's good to see you."

"Hey Rarity, nice to see you, too. Are you busy?" I asked.

"Not at all." She assured. "Did you need something?"

"Yes, I was hoping you could make something for me. I wanted you to make me a custom outfit for my human form, remember?"

"Oh, right, I remember now! Go on by the mirror, darling."

I sat myself in front of the mirror and put my saddlebag down. I charged up my horn for the transformation, but Rarity spoke up and stopped me. "Actually, could you hold off on transforming yourself? I just want to get your pony measurements first."

I shrugged. "Alright." I cancelled the spell. Rarity brought out her tape measure with her magic, and took my measurements one limb at a time.

"So, somepony has been keeping quiet about a very special talent of theirs, haven't they?" Rarity prodded in a sing-song tone.

"Are you talking about me? Because if you are, I have no idea what you're referring to."

"No need to be coy, darling. Having an affinity for matchmaking is a wonderful gift. Forelegs."

I held out my forelegs, which Rarity began measuring. "Oh, are you talking about Snowflake and Blossomforth? Yeah, how are they?"

"They are doing marvelously. Blossomforth was just in for a new outfit for their date this weekend!"

"Well I'm glad that's working out for them."

"Indeed! Blossomforth told me how they met, and I must say that was nice of you. Please stand up, darling."

I got to my hooves. "Eh, it wasn't that big a deal. Poor Snowflake needed a pick-me-up after I shot him down."

Rarity stopped measuring my hindlegs to stare at me in surprise. "I hadn't heard that part from her. So Snowflake asked you out first?" I nodded. "Pray tell, why did you refuse?"

"Well, he's not exactly my type."

"You aren't into bodybuilders?"

"Actually, it's more that he's a he."

Rarity's eyes widened in realization. "Ohhhh. Yes, I should have figured that was a factor."

It wasn't the only factor, but I wasn't going to be bringing that up. Seriously, me dating a pony? Nuh uh. "So you should have figured that I was gay?"

Rarity nervously retrieved her measuring tape and resumed her work. "Well, technically you are, but it's a bit more complicated regarding your history."

"What history?"

"You know... that you're a colt?"

Ah, that's right, I said that at some point. Thanks for reminding me, Rarity. "Oh, of course. Yeah, to be honest, I was starting to forget about that."

Rarity jotted down the final measurements for my torso. "Personally, I'm glad to see that you are beginning to embrace your femininity. It shows that you are leaving your troubles in the past."

"And I'm sure it has nothing to do with wanting to see me in frilly clothes and at makeovers, right?" I joked.

Rarity chuckled. "Oh please, I'm not that transparent! Anyway, I've finished taking your pony measurements. You may transform at any time, now."

"Alright." I opened my saddlebags and pulled out a white towel.

"You brought the towel." Rarity observed.

"Yep." I wrapped it around my torso and cast the transformation. I morphed into my human form with the towel thankfully still wrapped around me.

Rarity looked like she wanted to say something about the towel, but thought better of it. "Well, I'm just glad at least one of my friends is interested in getting some fashionable attire." She began by taking measurements of my shoulders.

"What about Fluttershy? She goes to the spa with you every week."

"I suppose she does, but that doesn't mean she's interested in fashion. Especially not after the Photo Finish fiasco. Could you lift your arms?"

I raised my arms for measuring. "So you don't really have anyone to talk to about it?"

"Fluttershy listens, but she has little to add. I adore our time together, but I wish I had somepony with which to share a dialogue about dresses."

I sighed. It was my time to shine, unfortunately. "Well, do you have some kind of dream designs on your mind? I'm sure there are dresses you'd like to make."

Rarity smiled excitedly. "Of course! I dream of the day I can make something fabulous for my friends!"

"Oh, so I'm sure you have some ideas for what you could make for them?"

While Rarity continued to half-heartedly measure me, she was even more interested in listing off her ideas. "Absolutely! I think the ideal dress for Fluttershy would be something natural, perhaps with some floral designs."

"Makes sense; she loves animals."

"For Rainbow Dash, I would definitely utilize her natural colors. Hmm, do you think she could pull off a hat?"

"Uhh, maybe?"

Rarity hummed thoughtfully. "Applejack would be the most difficult. I know she would want to wear a stetson of some sort, but I think she would appreciate some stylized country boots. I'm thinking she could wear a saddle."

"Why a saddle?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Why a saddle? I mean, saddles seem a little demeaning don't they? Saddles are used to keep a rider from falling off their mounts, so doesn't a saddle seem more like a symbol of oppression than a fashion choice, seeing as how other races are the ones riding ponies?" Rarity paused her activity and stared at the floor. "Rarity?" I said, trying to get her attention. There was no response; she kept her eyes locked on a stationary point on the floor. I snapped my fingers. "Rarity!"

Rarity rattled her head and returned her focus on me. "W-what? I'm sorry, darling, did you say something?"

I thought about asking about the saddles again, but decided against it. I wouldn't want her to lock up on me again. "Let's move on. What would you make for Pinkie?"

"... Pink."

"Pink." I repeated.

"Mm-hm. I have so many ideas for Pinkie's dress, and the only common thread between them is the color pink. I'm sure Pinkie could pull off a flat mane style if we could find a way to straighten her mane, but that's an impossible task. Believe me, I've tried. That limits my ideas somewhat, but I'm still trying to decide between candy patterns or pastry patterns."

"They're both food related, so I'm sure she'd like either of them."

"That's what I was thinking." Rarity removed the tape measure and stood in front of me. "Now it's time to discuss what you would like. I know you don't want a dress just yet, so what would you like me to make for you?"

I placed a thumb on my chin in thought. Seeing as how Ponyville was practically a nudist colony, I figured that I could get away with just about anything. "Well, priority one would be something that won't restrict movement. I plan on spending lots of time in this form, and I'm sure much of that time will be spent on exercise."

"I see, so you would want something akin to Wonderbolts flight suits?"

"Yeah, that sounds good." I agreed. "I don't need it to be full-body, though. I only need it to cover my upper chest and... uh, pelvic region." I motioned to the body parts I meant. "And I don't suppose you could make it fit my pony body as well? I might be changing between forms a few times, and I don't want to get caught without some clothes."

"Hmm, I'm not only designing clothes for a mythical creature, but I'm making a functional outfit that can fit two species at once? This will be the greatest challenge of my young career! I shall get it done!" Rarity confirmed with a nod.

"Wait," I interrupted. "Uh, this is a little embarrassing, but could you also make under-garments?"

"May I ask why, darling?" Rarity asked with confusion.

"I just have a feeling that certain... bits, will poke out otherwise."

Rarity stared at me (or more aptly, my body) with suspicion. Eventually, she agreed. "Alright. Are there any specifications you need to address?"

"Did you notice the protrusions on my chest?"

"I was politely ignoring them, but yes, I noticed. Why, did you need to cover them?"

"Yeah. The bra just needs to be a bit padded, and I'm sure it will be fine. Oh, and something for my lower body as well."

"... You know an awful lot about your new body." Rarity said. "Just how do you know so much, anyway?"

Good question. Should I plead the fifth? Wait, Equestria doesn't even acknowledge the United States constitution, so that would be a bad idea. Wait, I know! "I've been making observations about the human body ever since I first made one. I should hope I know a few things about humans by now."

"Is that what you were doing yesterday in front of the mirror? Observing your body?"

"Yes." I answered. My eyes widened when I realized what I inadvertently admitted to doing. "Wait, it's not like that! I'm not even interested in what I saw! I mean, I'd wait until after dinner to look! I mean... Fuck!" Stop talking, man, stop talking! I pounded the side of my head until I stopped thinking of embarrassing things to say, and therefore stop thinking of things that would dig me deeper into my hole.

"...Would you like me to pretend that I didn't hear you say anything just now?" Rarity so graciously asked.

"That'd be swell." I accepted with a nervous sweat.

Rarity smiled nervously. "Okay then! I think I shall begin working! Would you like me to bring your clothes to the library when I'm finished?"

"Sure, that sounds nice. How much would I owe you?"

"Oh, think nothing of it, dear. The challenge itself is rewarding enough."

"Ha ha, no. This is going to cost you money, I'm going to compensate. How much for materials?"

"Seriously Twilight, no charge for you."

"I know you're the Element of Generosity, but I'm not going to take advantage of that fact."

"I am the Element of Generosity, and I'm willing to exercise my generosity from time to time. You owe me nothing."

I dug out a small bag of bits and levitated it to Rarity's hooves. "Oh, would you look at that: someone dropped thirty bits in your house! Oh well, I guess they belong to you now!"

Rarity pushed the bag over to me. "I think I shall return them to their rightful owner. Sounds fair, doesn't it?"

I pushed them back over to her. "Seriously, just take the money."

Rarity pushed it away. "No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes!"

"No!"

We pushed the bag between the two of us for a bit of time, each exchange making us progressively more belligerent. That was fine; Rarity would have to give in eventually.

PreviousChapters Next