• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 3,118 Views, 53 Comments

Silent Lovin' - Harmony Charmer



Applejack isn't known for being romantic. She's sometimes too blunt and straightforward with what she has to say, so it's not exactly easy for her to play mysterious. But, when it comes to a certain Pegasus, she can't seem to for

  • ...
17
 53
 3,118

Take A Wild Guess

Applejack wasn't exactly one to let somepony get to her. She's confident in who she is and she knows exactly what she's doing, even if sometimes what she's doing isn't exactly the best thing.

But, if she was being really honest with herself, which she had trouble doing ironically enough, she knew that things weren't exactly the same now that she's realized her feelings. Feelings that, if she was right, were seriously affecting her.

Then again, anypony who has been in love knows that.

'Well, maybe not 'love',' Applejack told herself, 'love's a strong word for it.' She shook her head. There she was, lying to herself again. 'Wait a sec, how am Ah lyin' to myself? Ah mean, it's not like we know each other that well!' She paused. 'OK, that's another lie.'

And it didn't exactly help that she was a total dork about it, either. Everytime they were around, Applejack would find herself saying the most ridiculous of things and soon enough, she'd end up arguing with them. Not that she minded, of course, seeing as how it was one way of getting to talk to them more.

'Yet, when Ah do argue with 'em, Ah just make it worse by bein' a total jackass about it,' she reminded herself, 'and there Ah go again. Ah'm glad donkeys can't read minds.' She paused again. 'Or can they?' She shook her head. 'No, they can't. Ah'm sure that'd make the news or somethin'.'

Applejack sighed. Everytime she thought about anything that even correlated to her undeniable crush, she ended up thinking the most ridiculous things and would more than likely just shake her head at her own thoughts.

'Well, it's not gonna be long 'til they get here,' Applejack remembered. It was usually in the afternoon when they visited the orchard, mostly just to chat and sometimes mooch off a few apples. Of course, Applejack didn't mind it anymore. Besides, it was just a few apples.

She shook her head rapidly once more. Apples were her livelihood! Just what was she thinking to say that they were insignificant?

'Well, it's not like we don't have a few to spare,' Applejack admitted to herself as she spared the trees a glance, each one heaping full of apples waiting to be bucked. She looked to the tubs that waited at the bottom of the trees, each sitting patiently and empty from lack of work on Applejack's part.

Applejack knew that slacking off wasn't part of her farming lifestyle. She really did. But, sometimes it was hard to remember when her special somepony came flying by from the weather team...

'Well, they're not exactly a special somepony, now are they?' Applejack told herself, ''Specially 'cause they ain't interested. At least, Ah don't think so.'

Applejack knew that she wasn't the most ideal mate for anypony to have. Heck, Rarity was definitely a better pick than herself, she knew. Maybe that's why she was so upset whenever they were around each other. Or maybe it had something to do with Rarity herself. Either one was fine.

Applejack looked to the skies and saw that the sky was a silvery blue that day, especially with the streaking white clouds that adorned it. It was peaceful, though, and rain wasn't planned for the day. She'd been told that yesterday.

'Maybe Ah should get back to work,' Applejack admitted to herself, 'Ah mean, they'll be here later.'

And that thought was the one thing that kept her going as she worked through the afternoon, waiting for her special Wonderbolt to come flying in.

* * *

"Hey, AJ!" called out a voice from above.

Applejack was mid-buck when she heard the voice. And it was mid-buck when she froze, which wasn't exactly the most balanced position to be in. So, of course, when Applejack froze, she almost immediately fell over.

"Whoa, nelly!" Applejack exclaimed as she fell face first into the ground. She hoped and prayed that they didn't see that.

"Whoa, AJ, you OK?" they asked as they landed near her.

Applejack struggled to stand up on her own and she tried hard to keep her face from turning as red as the apples in the bushels. "Y-Yeah, Thunderlane, Ah'm fine."

Thunderlane gave her a worried glance. "Ya sure about that? You look like you took a heavy hit."

Applejack laughed nervously. "Yeah, no, Ah'm fine, really." She shifted her hooves awkwardly. "So, how ya been?"

Thunderlane shrugged. "Same old. I ran into Rainbow on the way here and it turns I got my info wrong today on the weather. We have a light spill today and you might wanna head on inside so you don't get wet."

Applejack nodded in acknowledgement, her cheeks still read. "Th-Thanks, Thunderlane. Ah appreciate it."

Thunderlane smiled at her, which made her heart skip a beat. "Anytime. Tell the family I said 'hi'."

"Yeah, sure, no problem," Applejack replied quickly, "thanks for coming by."

Thunderlane readied his wings. "You don't mind if I snag an apple, do you? I had to skip lunch to make up for lost time on cloud gathering."

Applejack shook her head. "Naw, Ah don't mind." She kicked a tree beside her, careful to hit a spot that would jostle an apple near her. Of course, when the apple fell, it didn't fall into her hoof exactly like she planned, and instead landed on her head. "Ow!"

"You OK?" Thunderlane asked as he took a step towards her.

"Yeah, yeah, fine," Applejack told him as she picked up the apple, "here ya go. Ah'd ask if you wanted to eat and talk, but since yer on a schedule..."

"Hey, it's no problem," Thunderlane told her, "I'll come by tomorrow. Heck, I might even try to make you something myself!"

"Oh, you don't have to--" Applejack tried to say.

Thunderlane held up a hoof. "Please, I don't mind it." He put it down as he prepped his wings for takeoff. "Besides, I know how to cook. Who else do you think makes Rumble breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday?"

Applejack blushed. "It's really no trouble. Besides, that's a thing you two do together."

Thunderlane waved a hoof. "I don't think he'll mind. He's always making stuff for Scootaloo and her friends, so it won't be a big deal."

"Well, if you say so," Applejack said, "you might wanna hurry up so Rainbow doesn't get yer tail for bein' late."

Thunderlane's eyes widened. "Oh, right!" He bit into the apple. "Thanks, AJ!" However, with the apple, it sounded like, "Fankth, Ack!"

As he zoomed into the air, Applejack watched him as he grew smaller and smaller in her eyes. She sighed to herself and put a hoof to her face. "Ah am such a dork."

Comments ( 50 )

A cute little scene for AJ. I like it. Good job.:rainbowkiss:

:rainbowkiss::heart:
You ma'am have earned Mustaches :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
EDIT; Sorry couldn't help myself, erased the spoiler. :twilightblush:

Comment posted by Bilbo Swaggins deleted Jul 30th, 2014

4771795 HUSH YO'SELF CHILD! Seriously, you just said the bucking ship when you weren't supposed to.

I like it ever if it is a pony I've never heard of in the show before

2 views, 12 likes and 8 comments? WTF? Oh, and I like it.

Let's just I am glad its not an appledash fanfic for once. No I aint telling who it is I wont be the type who spoils the story in the comment section.:pinkiecrazy:

I was surprised, although since you described "they"-- as a Wonderbolt that might have something to do with it.

Well I had a few candidates, but then you mentioned they were one of them... so yeah. Had no clue.

OK. Totally NOT gonna tell...

Yay I called it! Cute story, I enjoyed this more then I thought going into it :derpytongue2: gold star :)

Applejack is so cute! I kinda want to know where this romance will go. Love how she kept fighting with herself.

4771804 shh! They can't know it's not! Harmony Charmer wanted to keep 'em guessing! Edit out the part where you say it's an A******* story (please? Don't wanna sound pushy or anything)

*looks at blog post comment* *looks back at story* Called it! Who else did?

4771932 you kinda half-did. Although I TOTALLY agree!

Hmm. A whole fic just to guess which pegasus AJ is talking about? Talk about a weak premise. :ajbemused:

4772636 Umm, I think it is who it is, as I've already read the story.

Now, trying to avoid spoilers, part of my problem is how forced the misdirection is. The mystery pony, who we know little about from the show, is described as having a number of traits that we know match someone we do know from the show very well. I mean, there's nothing really wrong with that, it's just too easy a way of misdirecting the reader to be worth dedicating a fic to, in my opinion.

Celestia smiled, knowing that her student would arrive soon. She couldn't wait for that energetic mare to burst through the door, full of excitement for learning new magic and history. She paused for a moment, and wondered if her student had had the time to hang out with her older brother recently. Perhaps she'd have to see if he'd like to join Ponyville's guard, so that he could be closer to his sister. That was an idea she could discuss with her student when she arrived.

She was disturbed by her thoughts by the sound of a door opening beside her. Smiling widely, she turned to her student.

"Hello, Lyra."

See? Too easy.

4772592
No it's not it's obvious! Only a brony in the actual mlp desired age group would think that! Wait it's thunderlane right!?!

4772606
Well woops but yeah thanks for getting what i mean. :twilightsheepish: And look at all those downvotes wow someone's disgruntled over my appledash comment :rainbowhuh:

Nice lil' story ya got there. :twilightsmile:

I like how her crush was really I-Ain't-Telling. Thanks again Harmony Charmer! :twilightsmile:

You can't even tell me if they're a mare or a stallion?

Sequel?


4773539 If you read it you'll find out.

It took me 10 reads, but I think I've finally got it. I think...

Well played ma'am. Well played. :trixieshiftleft:

4773231 again, stop saying the AD word...

4774553
And we both got downvotes for it.

4776139 uh-hi, no spoiling!

4772739 Pretty much this.

The target of affection has almost no defined personality in the show (and what little he has drastically contradicts what we see here,) so there's no moment of recognition for the reader when we find out who it is. It's more of just a "Oh, that's who the author chose. Okay." Misdirection works well when the reader can go back and see how they should have been able to figure it out but didn't. Here the author's just written a name on a piece of paper and told us to guess what they wrote down.

Also, while I understand why you had to avoid using gendered pronouns, it was really obtuse and made the whole thing irritating to read. English just isn't a language you can do that in.

All in all, meh. At least you tried to do something creative. Not gonna vote on it either way.

4776334
What? I am not spoiling anything and can we take this elewhere I don't want to clog up the comment section.

4776683 agreed. PM me sometime

I really wanted the pegasus to be Rainbow. :trixieshiftright:

I would like to see more of this ship.

I thought it was awesome :twilightsheepish:

4785148 third... But Thunderlane was a interesting surprise.

Nice story :ajsmug:

4772636 is your avatar Ferris Bueller?

Ooooh...

An Applejack X _________ story...

Me likey! :pinkiehappy:

My reaction when i finished reading

And harmony charmer i suggest you to read "The Weight of Responsibility by Calm Wind" is very neat and has this special ship on it :twilightblush:

The writing and content is really good but it doesn't feel like there's any payoff. If this is a one shot I feel like there should be a satisfying ending instead of a chapter that feels like a prologue.

...

Surely didn't see that coming.

I have little words to offer, so have this:

imglulz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/funny-pics-enough-with-the-nazi-jokes.jpg

That was one of the best, if not the best, romance-based one-shots I've ever read. Great job!

4868636
thanks for giving it away. :flutterrage:

Very cute story! Although I think that the story would have been better if you didn't try to obscure who AJ's crush was.

Applejack and Thunderlane huh? Never seen that ship before.

'Yet, when Ah do argue with 'em, Ah just make it worse by bein' a total jackass about it,' she reminded herself, 'and there Ah go again. Ah'm glad donkeys can't read minds.' She paused again. 'Or can they?' She shook her head. 'No, they can't. Ah'm sure that'd make the news or somethin'.'

Lol a donkey joke it's been awhile ever since season 3

Applejack nodded in acknowledgement, her cheeks still read. "Th-Thanks, Thunderlane. Ah appreciate it."

You mean red

Aww this was a very short Cute story and Applejack feeling a little embarrassed when she acts like that in front of Thunder Lane which it's a very interesting shipping I only seen one story those two together which I thought that's actually kind of cool but anyway this is a cute one keep up the good work

Login or register to comment