• Published 28th Apr 2014
  • 4,580 Views, 50 Comments

Leave All The Lights On - FamousLastWords



Time and circumstance can break a lot of things, but true love isn't one of them. Spike and Rarity learn this powerful lesson together

  • ...
7
 50
 4,580

Leave All The Lights On

Spike stepped onto the gravel road leading to downtown Ponyville. Having just exited the midnight train from Canterlot, he was happy to finally be home again. It had certainly been a long day, but there was still one pony who he needed to see.

As he made his way down the quiet path home, he took a moment to enjoy his surroundings. He took in the scent of the trees and grass that laced the fresh country air. Everything was so peaceful and quiet.

As he came closer to the town, he quickened his pace. He was excited to see all of his friends again: Twilight, Fluttershy, Big Mac—The list went on, but one pony in particular occupied his thoughts more than any other.

He could still remember the conversation they had had when he had told her he was leaving...

*****

“Leaving?!”

Spike wiped a stray tear from his cheek. “Yeah. I’m sorry, Rarity.”

“Darling, you can’t be serious,” Rarity said, tears forming at the edges of her eyes. “Why do you have to leave?”

Spike walked over to Rarity’s couch, slumping into it. “Princess Celestia wants me to travel to Draconia for some time to assist with political negotiations.”

“She can’t force you to go anywhere. Stay here, please?” Rarity pleaded.

“I want to, more than anything. But I have a duty to protect the land and everypony in it. As a dragon, the negotiations will go a lot smoother if I’m there.”

Rarity took a spot next to Spike on the couch. “How long is it going to take?”

Spike gently wrapped his arms around the white mare, and she rested her head on his shoulder. “I don’t know. It could only be a few weeks. But if things don’t go smoothly like she hopes, it could be a lot longer.”

“But... but that’s just not fair!” Rarity screamed, tears freely flowing down her cheeks. “And what about me? Don’t I get a say in this?”


The dragon searched for words to say, but none would come. This wasn’t something that could be explained with words.

“Or tell me, Spike, does this engagement band you gave me mean nothing to you?” She levitated the sparkling diamond band from her hoof and put it right in front of his eyes.

Spike looked down at his own engagement band she had given him in return, and a tear fell down onto his cheek. “Rarity… I’m sorry. I love you more than anything. That’s why I have to do this.” He gently grabbed her band and placed it back on her hoof. “And to answer your question: this band is just a piece of jewelry. It’s you mean everything to me.”

Rarity stroked his claw as he gently wiped away her tears. “I love you, too.” Collapsing into his arms, she let her tears free and buried her face in his chest.

*****

Spike quickened his pace. Entering the residential area of town, he saw the various houses that still populated the area, houses that belonged to friends he knew would be excited to see him again. But they were going to have to wait.

He took a moment to see how things were compared to when he had left. The small home where Carrot Top resided seemed to have not changed a bit. Her empty produce baskets on the front porch hadn’t seemed to move an inch, along with her small carrot garden in the back.

To the left he could see the small one-room home that his friend Vinyl most likely still occupied. Empty bottles of vodka and random soda cans decorated the porch along with with neon lights that were visible through her window. Still a mess, the same way it was when he left—but he wouldn’t want it any other way.

Up a ways would be the Library, the building he called home for all his years growing up. First thing tomorrow, he was going to go see Twilight. Boy would she be happy to see him.

Just to the right was Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie Pie, the Cakes, and their children all shared the business now, and if the desserts and streamers in the windowsill were any indication, it was still going as strong as ever.

He turned the corner that led to the place he had been so excited to see. The Carousel Boutique would be just up the path. He felt his heart rate rise however as he remembered the very last conversation he and Rarity shared before he left.

*****

“Are you sure you’ll be safe, dear?” Rarity asked, her voice laced with concern.

“I’m sure. But I’m more worried about you, Rares,” Spike said.

“Me?”

Spike cast his gaze to the floor before meeting her eyes. “I know that the timing of this is terrible, and that I promised I’d be by your side forever. I promised that this would be my home now, and that you wouldn’t ever feel alone again.”

Rarity choked back her tears and walked up to Spike, nuzzling his arm. “Sweetie, I know this couldn’t be helped. But you’ll be coming back.” She cracked a small smile as Spike gently wrapped his arms around her. “And as long as I keep thinking of you I’ll never feel alone.”

The dragon hugged her tighter, resting his chin on her head. “I know, but it could be a long time. You could get lonely. What if you find someone else while I’m gone?” His body shuddered at the thought.

“Spike, I’m surprised you’d even entertain the idea!” Rarity looked up at him with a grimace, but softened her gaze the moment she saw the fresh tears running down his face. “Spike, follow me.”

Spike followed Rarity out the front door. The white unicorn levitated two unlit lanterns from the ground and hung them on the crossbeams on each side of the porch.

“Spike, listen to me,” she said. “Every night that I’m waiting for you to return, I’m going to keep these lanterns lit all night. When you return, if you see them lit, you’ll know I’m still waiting for you, and that I am as much in love with you as I am right now.”

Spike felt his heart jump in his chest when she sent a warm smile toward him, moisture glinting in her eyes. He ran over and placed a soft kiss on her lips, which she gladly returned.

When he pulled away, Rarity ignited the lanterns with her magic, illuminating the night. “I’m starting tonight, because the moment you leave, I’ll be waiting for you to come back.”

*****

It was the moment of truth. The moment he turned the next corner, the Boutique would be in plain sight. One part of him wanted to tear across the town and see the mare he’d been waiting for. Another part of him, however, couldn’t help but think that things had changed while he was gone.

He slowly made his way around the corner, and there it was—the Carousel Boutique was in plain view.

Spike’s heart stopped at the sight before him.

There were no lanterns on the porch waiting for him. Instead, every light in the house with the exception of her upstairs bedroom was on.

He raced down the path and onto the porch, tears streaming down his face. He knocked on the door repeatedly, unable to fully believe what he was seeing.

After what seemed like ages, the door cracked open, and a white unicorn he knew all too well poked her head out.

“Can I help y—” Before she was able to finish her sentence, she recognized him”

Tears streaming from her eyes, she leapt in the dragon’s waiting arms. “SPIKE!”

Spike held her tighter than ever before, and she wrapped her hooves around his neck as he cradled her. “Rarity, I’ve missed you.”

Rarity responded with kisses all over his face. “Spike, I’ve missed you more than you could imagine!”

Holding her in his arms, Spike walked into the Boutique and collapsed onto the couch therein. Rarity immediately cuddled up to him, and he wrapped her into an affectionate embrace.

Spike let out a gently chuckle. “You know, the two lanterns were the only lights you had to leave on to let me know you cared.”

“Well, it’s been so long, and I was worried you may have forgotten about me. I wanted to make sure you knew I was still here, and that this was your home.”

Spike simply responded with another kiss and a gentle nuzzle to her cheek. “Don’t worry, Rarity. I’m home now, and this is where I’m staying.”

Author's Note:

'Sup guys! Quick one-shot that randomly came to me for no apparent reason. Peace!

Comments ( 50 )

Mah feels:applecry:

Happy Ending, had me scared for a moment. Then I need to remember who wrote this:rainbowkiss:

Well done:moustache:

That was nice.

good job bro ::yay:

Nice. You got me for a moment there, I thought that Rarity had found someone new *wipes sweet from my brow* glad to see that she waited for Spike :raritywink::moustache: Great story!

you really like Spike, Dustin... :trixieshiftright: good story

4306249 thank you :heart:that;s what i was going for

4306285 yeah, i like to keep things happy :scootangel:

Just one minor mistake, you forgot a space.

Spike walked over to Rarity’s couch, slumpinginto it

Sorry.

Great story! Really had me worried when the lanterns wasn't there. I was like 'NO!', but it was a happy ending :heart:

I really enjoyed reading this story :twilightsmile:

4306818 thanks for catching the mistake - i shall fix it! :scootangel: thanks for reading!

4306860 Thank you, for the great story :twilightsmile:

I usually avoid this kinda stuff, but Sparity is my kryptonite, :heart:

It was good. I could see this two diffrent other ways aswell...

One being he showed up in town and Rarity had grown old and died. But their kids had remained in the small town keeping the establishment alive!

The other being that when he returned that Rarity could be older. Not extremly older but perhaps having some gray within her mane or the start of some crows feet at her eyes.

Thats just two thoughts I had while reading this and it was a very good fiction! Thanks for that!

You know me. Not much into Sparity anymore, but I still like to read a good fic about this shipping every so often.

the only problem I had was that she didn't have the lanterns lit, he could have easily just walked back to the library after thinking she had another lover and wishing them the best... but that fact aside, it was a good, heart-wrenching story

4308860 thanks man. this was my first attempt at writing a sad story, so I have a lot that needs working on. Thanks for the comment and criticism :twistnerd:

I love a good ship fic now and again, and I'm never really in to Sparity. However, I made an exception for this. Well done!

4310313 thank ya sir! i'm not the biggest Sparity fan either, but this idea wouldn't stop bothering me, so i had to write it :twilightblush:

He took in the scent of the trees and grass that laced the fresh country air.

There is more than one space between "laced" and "the".:twilightsmile:

4311014 that's kuz i'm a rebel :twistnerd:

Comment posted by Muggonny deleted Apr 29th, 2014

4311017 is your avatar from the pony moved movie?

4312645 So what will your famous last words be?

4312661 probably something like - "Hey everyone! Look what i can do!"

Short and cute and very enjoyable :raritywink:

Just so you know Famous, this story pushed me to finish one of my story that has been sitting unfinished for the past month so I have you to thank for that small push. :raritystarry:

It's also a SpikexRarity as well.

Good story I give it a nice 8/10 :twilightsmile:

Cute story.Manly tears were made :raritycry:

I read this story, and here's my little Review on it.

If you would like more reviews, you could submit your stories in this group within my folder for review.

This story feels OH SO familiar. Something about yellow ribbons...:scootangel:
Nonetheless, this is a pretty nice story. Have a green thumb, use it to grow plants, or whatever they're used for these days.

sparity :moustache: :heart: :raritywink: awwww it was so cute and sad and cute

This is such a beautiful story!

Pre-readers are the people who read the story before you post it in order to get some outside opinions, correct?

4743402 Yeah. They read it to make sure it doesn't suck, basically.

This is such a touching story as I recall, so I simply had to find it and read it again. Well done.

9171929
Thank you so much! This is an older one, but it kind of was a jumping point for the more emotional writing I did over the past few years. I appreciate you reading it!

Fuller review here, but in brief: nothing wrong with this, as such, but I think you probably need to be already at least somewhat invested in Sparity (which I'm not) to get the most out of this. Noted that it's an older fic.

Login or register to comment