• Published 19th Feb 2014
  • 3,307 Views, 191 Comments

At The Drop of A Hat - Tchernobog



A particularly strong gust blows Applejack's hat away. What follows is a chaotic chase across all of Equestria to retrieve it.

  • ...
20
 191
 3,307

Brony Eagle Scout

The pair looked around the buildings around the tree they were previously snuggling under. The few buildings that surrounded the park looked to be apartment buildings built a few decades ago, judging from their faded bricks and out of style designs. Applejack looked for a random passerby to ask for directions, but none seemed to be around in the park at the moment.

“Come on Rainbow. Let’s get on back home.” Applejack said as she absentmindedly rubbed her hat.

“You got it.” Rainbow Dash replied with a nod and a smirk.

The pair walked out of the park until they are back onto the cobblestone streets filled with ponies. Before Applejack could ask somepony for directions, Rainbow Dash walked down the road with the flow of ponies back to city central. She gave a sigh before working her way back toward Dash.

“Do you have any idea where we are going?”

“Not particularly. I just figure we’ll run into Pinkie soon and all will be well.”

“When has it gone that smoothly these past few days?”

“I figured the last few minutes have gone over pretty good.”

“Ah’ll grant you that. Hopefully, the party that happens later will make this mess with Demule a far off memory.”

“Knowing Pinkie, it’s gonna be a good one considering all the stuff that happened.”

The streets started to get even more packed by the minute. As ponies bumped into her with not so much as an apology, Rainbow Dash started heading toward an open doorway of a simple looking single story building. Applejack followed her to the less crowded area and sat down on the slightly warm concrete entryway.

“Everything okay Dash?”

“Yeah, being in crowds on the ground is not my favorite thing in the world.”

Applejack shrugged as she watched the mass of ponies continued on pass her. Rainbow Dash sat down next to her and draped a wing over her. Applejack could only smirk at Dash as she shuffled closer. Not many ponies paid them any mind, merely continuing on to their next appointment. A few mares whispered among themselves as they passed the couple.

Suddenly, the door behind Applejack and Rainbow Dash opened slightly with a loud squeak. Rainbow Dash was the first to spring back to her hooves and look into crack inside the building. Seeing little light and a slightly moldy smell, she took a step back and looked at Applejack.

“It doesn’t seem to be occupied. Wanna take a look?”

“Ah think Ah lost my sense of adventure back when a spider goddess cult nearly killed us.”

“Haha. Come on; let’s have a look see before Twi and the rest of them find us.”

“Okay, but we leave at the first sign of trouble.”

“Don’t have to tell me twice.”

Rainbow Dash smiled and pushed the door open and headed inside. Applejack looked back out to the busy street and her common sense was currently screaming at her to remain outside for safety’s sake. Unfortunately, a certain blue mare overrode this vital instinct as she followed Dash inside. The damp moldy smell was not as bad as its first impression as she walked in the seemingly abandoned office building. A few cobwebs decorated the various corners of the offices inside, which only made Applejack more uneasy. Rainbow Dash was looking in one of the larger rooms and called Applejack over.

“It looks like to be an old accounting firm that got shut down a few months back.” Rainbow Dash said as she passed along an eviction notice to Applejack.

“Ah can’t say that fills me with confidence. Ah figure we should get on out of here before something falls on us.” Applejack said with a bit of caution.

“Yeah. I bet Pinkie is outside with her detective hat on and is looking around for us.”

Before either mare moved, a small spider crawled down a string of web in between them. Both of them looked at the little spider with some curiosity as it continued down to the floor and started heading out deeper into the office. Having seemed to abandon their plan, the two mares followed it toward the conference room doors that were closed. Both of them looked at each of other before pushing the doors open.

Suddenly, spiders.

Spiders everywhere.

Applejack froze in place as she could see all their eyes go toward her.

“OUR LEADER!” The arachnids chittered out in a high pitch.


Twilight Sparkle was walking against the crowd of ponies toward a park she had seen before. She got off the street and looked around for the distinct Stetson of Applejack or the prismatic mane of Rainbow Dash. She was walking past a simple single story building when she starting to hear shouts of alarm from inside. She walked up to the door and peered inside. Her eyes widened as she saw her two targets of her search barreling toward her.

“TWILIGHT! TELEPORT SOMEWHERE NOW!” Applejack and Rainbow Dash nearly screamed as they could feel the legs of thousands spiders crawling toward them.

Twilight’s magic enveloped her horn and her entire body as the pair sprinted on fear and adrenaline. As their hooves grabbed hold of a limb of Twilight, a white flash encompassed their bodies and a sudden weightlessness took hold for a briefest of moments. The trio was now in an orchid of trees on very dry soil.

Applejack stood up with an alarming speed and bellowed to the sky.

“NOW WHERE ARE WE?!”

This was met by an equally loud ‘HOWDY Y’ALL WELCOME TO APPLELOOSA’.

Applejack sat back down on the dirt and looked back to her companions. The new princess laid passed out in a fit of magical exhaustion and Rainbow seemed to be not looking so sporty as she could see a bit of green coming to her cheeks. Applejack could only come to this solution.

“Ah got the hat and Ah got the girl. Seems good to me.”

Comments ( 22 )

And that's a wrap, folks! This was very fun to do, and it turned out just as good as the first collab. Thanks everyone for participating! :pinkiehappy:

Congratulations everyone. This was a lot of fun to do. See you for the three-hundred prompt special! :pinkiecrazy:

4172697
You'll probably end up writing half the ones we'll need to get to 300~ :trixieshiftright:

Suddenly, spiders.
Spiders everywhere.

OH GOD RUN

Daw that Title pic is adorable.

4172713

Provided someone else gets off their butt and does the other half. :rainbowlaugh:

That was fun, albeit whimsical, ride. Good job, all.

What a beautiful ending. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

SHL

Wiii, we finished it!!!! We're awesome :pinkiehappy:

*Grins* Bizarre fun, nicely done.:pinkiehappy:

I definitely enjoyed taking part in this. The story was fun and it ended really nicely. I am a little sad though that neither Trixie nor Discord were brought back. I really thought he'd return at the end.

Guys and girls...what have we created here?

Anyways, that was a pretty good way to end a story as crazy as this one.
It was quite the ride.

LEADER?!? OH FRICK

Why does the AppleDash ship get all the fun projects? *grumble grumble*

T'was a fun if nonsensical ride, though. Had my fair share of chuckles and more than my fair share of surprises. You all did great! *platonic smooches for everyone involved*

4663772
Would you believe the idea stemmed from the first sentence in the description? We thought "well shit, that sounds like a fun idea!", gathered some people to write, and bam, this happened. Turned out really well too! :pinkiehappy:

I'm pretty sure Applewood is rather annoyed at their sudden sapient spider invasion.

Well... that certainly a sequence of events featuring lovable characters, romance, comedy, and excitement... that happened.

Quite the ride!
Honestly, I'm still not really sure what to think :rainbowlaugh:.
I guess, if at the end of it all, Applejack is satisfied - then so am I!

Suddenly, spiders.
Spiders everywhere.
Applejack froze in place as she could see all their eyes go toward her.
“OUR LEADER!” The arachnids chittered out in a high pitch.

soooooooooooooo I missed the memo do you do anymore writing or do you now just blog and stuff.

Login or register to comment