• Published 19th Feb 2014
  • 3,308 Views, 191 Comments

At The Drop of A Hat - Tchernobog



A particularly strong gust blows Applejack's hat away. What follows is a chaotic chase across all of Equestria to retrieve it.

  • ...
20
 191
 3,308

FierceRainbow

“This ain’t my hat.”

Rainbow Dash could only stare blankly at her best friend, the stetson perched on her head. Finally, her brain put together a response. “What do you mean… that’s not your hat?”

“I mean it ain’t my hat,” Applejack shook her head, plucking the accessory off her scruffy mane to hold between her hooves. “Jus’ doesn’t feel right.”

Rainbow snorted, her stomach churning with a sudden flash of anger. “Of course it doesn’t! You haven’t worn it in like, forever.”

“S’only been ‘bout a day sugarcube.”

“Whatever, it’s the same thing.”

Applejack sighed, replacing the hat. “I’m sorry, Rainbow. I know my hat, and this ain’t it.”

“But it’s got to be!” she protested, her mind rejecting the idea of retracing their steps to go and find the hat again. “I mean, that dude had it in his safe. It’s obviously it.”

“It ain’t my hat!”

Her sudden outburst shocked Rainbow, clamping her mouth shut as Applejack thrust herself forwards so their muzzles were almost touching. Her green eyes sparked defiantly, her lips twisted into a scowl. She blinked at the smoldering look in their depths, unable to look away.

“Oh!” Applejack broke contact, stumbling backwards. “I- I… Don’t want no fighting, okay? I didn’t mean to lash out at ya’ll like that.”

“No, it’s fine,” she mumbled, staring down at her hooves shifting on the ground. “You’re right. Nopony knows hats like you.” She chuckled quietly, giving her a shy smile.

“Thanks, sugarcube,” Applejack tore her gaze away, refusing to look at her with those green eyes.

“So, uh,” Rainbow attempted to break through the thick silence that had settled over them. “What now?”

“I don’t know.”

Rainbow Dash bit her lip to prevent herself from moaning in frustration. For all she said Dash messed around too much, she could be annoyingly indecisive sometimes. “Well, this is your thing. Just give me the word and I’ll do whatever.”

Applejack smirked. “Anythin’?”

Rainbow raised her eyebrows, matching her smirk with one of her own. “Don’t go getting any ideas. I’m just talking about the hat here.”

“I think we’d better get this back where it belongs then. Although I might hold onto it fer now. I’m startin’ to really miss my good ol’ stetson.”

Rainbow chuckled. “Why don’t you just keep that one then? You seem perfectly happy with it.”

Applejack scowled at her words. “I ain’t keepin’ it. I want my real hat, not some stolen fake.”

“Woah, calm down,” she frowned, feeling a slight twinge in her chest. “It was just a joke.”

The mare scuffed at the ground with her hooves. “Maybe ya’ll shouldn’t make jokes. This is serious, Rainbow.”

“Getting your hat is serious?” she grinned, unfurling her wings proudly. “Please, it’ll be a piece of cake with me around.”

“But it ain’t been a piece of cake!” Applejack thrust herself forwards again. “We gone through Granny Smith knows what, heck, I almost died, an’ now it’s been stolen by some fancy stallion. It ain’t no piece o’ cake no more.”

Blowing air out her nose, she stepped backwards. “Have a little faith, AJ. It’s not been easy, but I can do it.”

“We can do it. Ya cain’t do this thing all on yer own.”

The sketchy outlines of a plan began to form in her mind. Rainbow Dash flexed her wings, feelings the smooth muscle rippling beneath the glossy feathers. “I could do it on my own. I can fly, I can get into high places.”

“Are ya’ll sayin’ I cain’t do it ‘cause I’m an Earth pony?” Applejack sputtered indignantly. Rainbow suddenly realized her mistake. “Of all the nerve! I’m plenty capable without wings, thank ya very much, Rainbow Dash.”

“I didn’t mean that,” she protested. “I just meant there are some things I can do that you can’t, not that I’m better than you. Although, I am faster,” a sly smirk drew itself onto her lips.

“What?” the short word confused Rainbow, tilting her head slightly. Before she could open her mouth to ask for an elaboration, Applejack fulfilled her wish. “What can ya’ll do as a Pegasus that I cain’t do as an Earth pony. Tell me.”

“Uh, I can fly,” she pointed out the obvious answer. “Now, if you don’t want me putting my talents to use, then I think you’d better come up with a plan, ‘cause I’ve got nothing.”

Applejack sighed, rolling her eyes. “I’ll get somethin’. Jus’ go out of the way somewhere while I do.”

Fuming, Rainbow Dash stomped away from her friend. Just go out of the way somewhere? What the hay was that supposed to mean? Well, she’d show her just how good her plan was, and Applejack would have to admit Rainbow was right and she was wrong.