• Published 14th Feb 2014
  • 7,495 Views, 38 Comments

Unexpected Love - M Specter



After getting rejected by Rarity, Spike thinks that he's going to spend another Hearts and Hooves Day alone. That is until he runs into a certain pink filly.

  • ...
16
 38
 7,495

Chapter 1

Spike X Tiara OneShot

Spike sighed as he exited the Carousel Boutique. It was Hearts and Hooves Day, and he had mustered up all of his courage to ask Rarity to be his special somepony.

She’d declined his offer.

It would’ve been okay if she had simply left it at that, but she had added salt into his wounds by saying that he was simply a foal.

He knew that she didn't mean anything insulting by it, but it didn't stop his heart from feeling pain.

"Another Heart’s and Hooves Day by myself,” Spike sighed. He didn't mean literally, Twilight would be there but he'd rather be with a special somepony, rather than someone who he considered family.

The dragon walked down the streets, with his head hung low, letting his feet take him wherever they pleased. His heart was in pieces and nothing he could do would ever repair it.

Because Spike had his head down, he couldn’t stop himself from colliding into the pony in front of him. Spike and the unsuspecting pony, fell to the ground from the impact, and after dusting himself off tried to help the pony in front of him.

"Sorry," he said, holding his claw out to help the filly get back to her hooves.

"Why don't you watch where you're going," she exclaimed as she swatted his claw away and got up herself.

When Spike took a closer at the pink pony in front of him, his heart nearly stopped.

"I'm S-Spike," he stuttered as he held out his claw for a shake. "What's your name?"

"I'm Diamond Tiara, but I bet you knew that already."

"No, I would’ve remembered a beautiful filly such as yourself," Spike said as his eyes turned to hearts.

Diamond blushed. "Well, I am the greatest pony to ever walk this earth. Whenever I'm near anypony, my presence alone immediately brightens their day."

"W-will you be my very special somepony?" Spike asked hesitantly.

"No," Diamond Tiara said flatly. "You can't just ask to be my very special somepony. You have to give me a gift first."

"A gift?"

"Yes, a gift. If you don't get me one, how will I know that you're serious about us?"

"I see,”Spike said scratching his chin. “What would you like then?"

Diamond rubbed her hoof on her chin, before saying, "It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's from the heart."

"Don't worry Diamond Tiara, I'll make sure to get you the most amazing gift you've ever seen."

Spike left to find something suitable for her. At first he thought Diamond would enjoy a flower, but decided against it. A flower was too simple. A Pony like Diamond needed something better than just a cheap flower. After thinking for a little while longer he realized that he was completely stumped..

"Hmm, I'm gonna need some help if I want to pull this off."

Spike considered going back to Rarity, but decided against it. He didn’t want to be reminded of Rarity for awhile. Thinking about it further, he decided that he would ask Twilight. Although she knew next to nothing about love, excluding her knowledge from books, she was a mare herself. If anything, she would tell him what girls would like for a gift. With this in mind, he made his way to the library to see the purple mare.

"Twilight," Spike shouted as he barged in through the door, startling Twilight from her book.

"Spike, what's got you all energetic?"

"I need to know what girls like, and since you're one I figured you could tell me."

Twilight, thinking that Spike was trying to impress Rarity said, "It doesn't matter what you give her as long as it's from your heart."

"That's what she told me too, but I want something extra special to impress her with."

"Ok, what does this pony like?"

"I'm not sure. Jewelry, I guess. If her cutie mark and tiara are anything to go by."

"Wait," Twilight said in confusion, "I thought you were talking about Rarity."

Spike sighed, "Thanks for reminding me, Twilight."

Twilight pulled her scaly friend into a hug, "Would you like to talk about it?"

"No, I just need an idea on how to impress this filly. Besides Rarity said that it would never work out."

“Well who’s the pony you like now?”

“Diamond Tiara,” Spike said as an expression of pure bliss, plastered itself on his face. “She’s gorgeous Twilight.”

"How about you look for some gems for her, since she likes jewelry?"

"That's a great idea. Thanks, Twilight."


As Spike was off looking for gems on the outskirts of Ponyville, Diamond Tiara was hanging out with her best friend Silver Spoon. The two of them had decided earlier that they would have lunch together and discuss how well their day was going for them.

They chose The Ponyville Cafe for their meeting spot. The two fillies each ordered something to eat and drink as they chatted.

"So how have you been since this morning?" Silver Spoon asked Diamond.

"Alright, I guess. Nopony worthy of me has arrived to claim my hoof for the day."

"Well there was a dragon Spike, I believe his name was."

“Go on,” Silver Spoon encouraged sweetly. “Give me all the details.”

"He's cute, but too nice."

"Well you better choose somepony soon. Almost everypony has their special somepony to hang out with for the day."

"That's impossible. Who's left?"

“Well Rumble is with Scootaloo, Sweetie Bell with Button Mash, Apple Bloom is with Truffle Shuffle, and Twist and Snails are together."

"How did all those idiots manage to find their special somepony but not me?"

"Well, your standards are pretty high."

"No, all somepony has to do is give me something from their heart."

"And every time they do, you turn them down. Pretty harshly as well, I might add."

At this point Diamond’s anger was building towards her friend.

"Oh yeah? Well, where's your special somepony?"

"You mean Pipsqueak? He decided that he wanted to buy me something. I told him he didn't need to, but that spurred him to do it even more. He's such a sweetheart," she remarked radiantly

"See there's your problem, Spoon. What happens if somepony’s trying to mug you? Will he protect you if the time calls for it?"

"Diamond, stop acting as if we’re going to get married or something . For all I know we could break up next week."
Silver took a sip of her tea before continuing.
"Plus we’re still kids."

Diamond sulked inwardly. She knew Silver Spoon was wrong but she didn't want to have a fight with her best friend on Hearts and Hooves Day so she left it at that.


"Finally," Spike said after he dropped the gems he had in his mouth onto the small pile of gems on the ground.

Without Rarity to guide him in finding gems, it had taken Spike a while to find all the gems that he wanted, but finally he had done it?

"Now to trade these gems for bits," he said as he placed them in a small brown sack and hurried off to Ponyville.

He made his way to the gem exchange pony's stand and traded his gems for bits. For once, he had managed to not eat all of his gems on the way back. Although he couldn't resist popping one into his mouth every now and again.

An idea then surfaced into the dragon’s head.

"I may not know what to get her, but that doesn't mean I can't show her a good night," he said, smiling at his newly thought out plan.

“I’ll need a jewelry store though. If I remember correctly, there’s one… over there!”

He barely remembered looking at a jewelry store around this part of the market place.

A door bell signaled his arrival as he entered, the worker behind the counter glanced at him before returning to his book.

Spike looked through the glass of the jewelry boxes, looking for the right ring to give Diamond. At last his eyes fell upon a simple ring with a small jewel on it. The ring he was looking at was a gold, and had the shiniest diamond he had ever seen.

“How much for that ring?” He asked the stallion behind the counter.

The stallion chuckled and said, “Kid, that’s way too expensive for you. Why don't you come back when you’re older.” He rubbed the dragon’s head playfully before returning his attention to the book.

“I have the bits. Just tell me how much it is,” Spike said as he held out his bag of bits.

“Where did you get all that money?” The stallion said as his eyes widened at the bag the dragon was holding.

“I don’t believe I'm under any obligation to tell you that. I am a paying customer and deserve to be treated as such. Unless of course, you want me to speak to your manager about this,” Spike said as he began walking to the door labeled manager.

“No, wait,” the stallion said nervously. “Sorry I was so rude. I didn’t realize you had the bits to pay for it.”

He pulled it out of the case and set it on the table. “She’s a real beauty alright, and she could be yours for the low price of 300 bits.”

Spike counted his bits and realized that this ring would take out three-quarters of his money, and if he spent most of his money on one gift, he wouldn’t be able to show Diamond the best night of her life.

“You know that’s a bit too high,” he said, trying to be sly. “I could take that ring of your hooves for 250.”

“Absolutely not. The ring is 300.”

“200.”

“300.”

“150.”

The stallion sighed “No. It’s 300 and that’s final.”

“Fine, I guess I’ll just tell your boss about your behavior.”

“No, wait!” The Stallion exclaimed as Spike’s claw was just about to hit the door. “Fine, 150,” the stallion said with an exasperated sigh.

“Thanks for your cooperation,” Spike said as he handed him the bits and carried his purchase outside.

“Now where are you my princess?” He mumbled as he began to search the town for her.

He found her talking to a grey filly with a spoon for a cutie mark.

"Diamond Tiara," he called out as he approached her. "May I have the honor of taking you out tonight for the best of your life?" he asked while kneeling down and showing the ring.

Silver Spoon let out an "aw" as she watched the scene in front of her.

"Sure,” Diamond said while shrugging. “I have nothing else to do tonight."

"Thank you, Diamond. Trust me; you won't regret this."

“I better not,” Diamond said as she slipped the ring on.

“This is a really beautiful ring, Spike. See you tonight.”

“I’ll come pick you up at six, alright?”

“Sure.”

Diamond was so lost in observing the shine the ring casted when in the light, that she didn't even notice that Spike didn't even know where she lived in the first place.

“Wait,” Silver hollered at Spike, “Do you even know where Diamond lives?”

Spike face clawed at the shocking realization of what he had almost done.

“Think you can point me in the right direction?” Spike asked, blushing embarrassingly.

Silver and Diamond giggled at his expense before Diamond replied, “go down this street, and make a right at the Sofas and Quills store and it should be the manor to your immediate left understand.”

Spike nodded and said “I’ll see you later then.”

WIth that the two split up to go home and prepare for the night ahead of them. Spike took a bath and ironed his tux for the special occasion.

Taking a last look at the mirror, he said, “Looking good, Spike. Looking good.”


Spike arrived at Diamond’s manor at six o'clock and knocked at the door. He quickly adjusted his tie one more time while waiting for the door to open.

When the door opened, he was surprised to see Diamond standing there, even more beautiful than the last time he had seen her. She was now on par with Rarity’s beauty.

She wore the most stunning dress Spike had ever seen, her hair was styled in an elegant Canterlot mane design, and her eyes had blue eye shadow over it.

“Wow, you look amazing,” Spike said after his brain finally caught up.

“I know. You look good too, by the way. So what are we doing tonight?”

“I was thinking dinner and a movie.”

“What kind of movie?” Diamond asked as they both began to walk.

“You know that new scary movie that came out a week ago?”

“The one with the robots and zombies? I've been wanting to see that movie all week, but I never had the time.”

“Well, I guess today’s your lucky day,” Spike said as they approached the eating establishment.

“Fab and Fancy? I love this restaurant. It’s one of the only places where the soup is made just right, and their garlic breadsticks are to die for.”

“I thought you’d like it. My friend comes here all the time on dates and stuff. She always goes on and on about how marvelous it is.”

They both went inside and waited for a hostess to bring them to a table. The wait wasn’t long and before they knew it they were seated at a table that had a gorgeous view of the moon. A unicorn soon arrived with two menus and a plate of breadsticks. He placed them on the table and went to another table to take care of other customers.

“This food is expensive Spike. How are you going to pay for it? If you can’t, I can always put it on daddy’s tab.”

“That won’t be necessary. I’ll worry about the payment, you just order whatever you like the best.”

“You’re such a gentlecolt, Spike.”

“There's many qualities that you don't know about me, and I plan on showing them to you as long as we’re dating.”

“If this date goes well, this wont be the last you’ll see of me.”

Soon after that the waiter returned, and they each gave him their order. Diamond ordered vegetable soup while Spike ordered a salad with gems sprinkled over it. They didn’t have any gems of course so Spike settled for just a plain salad. While they waited they spoke about a variety of topics. From the crusaders to what they did this morning, to Snips embarrassing himself in front of the entire class at recess two weeks ago.

The waiter returned to the table and placed each of their orders in front of them with a “bon appetite” before moving on to other tables. They ate their food in silence, talking every once in awhile, before moving on to the movie theater.

Spike paid for the tickets, the popcorn, and the soda, before the two of them made their way to their seats.

As the movie started Spike sat back and enjoyed it for the sixth time. When he first saw the movie, it hadn’'t been enough for him to only see it once, so he had sneaked back in four times to watch it over before he was finally found and kicked out. Lucky for him he knew when all of the scary parts were so he knew exactly when to make his move.

As soon as the pony on the screen tried to hide herself in a broom closet, he faked a yawn as he sneaked his arm over her shoulder. Any filly who had gone on a date numerous times to the movie theater would have known what Spike’s trick was. After all it was one of the oldest tricks in the book.

When the zombie scared the pony within the closet she was glad his arm to be their. As she leaned into it, she felt her heartbeat race.

After the movie, Spike brought her home. They stood on the front steps waiting for the other to speak.

Diamond decided to break the silence. "I had a great night, Spike. Thank you for being my special somepony."

"Anything for a beautiful mare," he replied back.

They both stared at each other, enjoying the way the moonlight reflected into the other’s eyes. Without thinking they began to lean in, and before they knew it their lips were locked together.

They then broke up the kiss and looked at each other,blushing.

"Wow," they both whispered in unison, blushing even more at saying the same thing at the same time.

"So... see you tomorrow?" Spike asked.

"Sure,"

"Good night, my princess."

"Good night, my dragon prince."

With that they both parted ways, leaving Spike to think about the kiss they just shared as he walked home. It was his first kiss, and he loved it. He had always dreamed of giving his first kiss to Rarity, but always had a slight feeling that it would never come true. She was older and no matter what he would have done Rarity would have rejected him anyway. He was glad that Rarity had broken his heart this morning. After all, if she hadn't, would he have had such an awesome day?

With that thought, the baby dragon returned home and slept, waiting for the sun to rise so he could see his love again.

Comments ( 38 )

First one to comment... first one to read. Alright. Oh and to like. :rainbowlaugh:

This was cute, completely out of no where, but cute

Read the chap, it's great by the way. :scootangel:

3945484
I try my best to please.

Nice story. I've become interested in DiamondSpike so this was a nice read.

A very nice Happy Hearts and Hooves Day story.
Most of the baby dragons approve. ( though the oldest ones went "ew mushy" :facehoof: but what do you expect from preteens.)

The love, the romance it was all so CUTE!:pinkiehappy: Very well done I loved the whole thing. Shame it is a one shot would have loved to see more!

I normally not a fan of Spike being pair with a filly. But Diamond Tiara is probably the only filly from the show that i don't mind being pair with Spike. Anyway this is a good story i give it a nice 7.9/10 good work :twilightsmile:

The cover art looks like she's giving Spike head. :rainbowderp:

3946046
..It does. I can't see it as anything else really. I actually clicked this, going,

Is this clop?.....Okay, it's apparently not, since it's rated Everyone.

3946046
I thought so to when I first saw it.

It's nice to see this two paired up. Anyway, great chapter. I enjoyed it.

it sounds wonderful to read a story about young love and its clean. stuff like this is so rare i just love this. wonderful story M Spector. you did so good. i am tearing up. i got to go :fluttercry: :pinkiehappy:.

3947045
Thank you. I normally don't write romance, so its great to here that I did it well.:pinkiehappy:

That was rather cute. Short and sweet. :heart:

Could use a quick look through to add the word "look" after closer, remove that quotation mark in "hadn't" and fix up the line where Spike asks if she would allow him to show her the best night of her life. You'll know when you read it. If not ask Mudpony.

Good job :twilightsmile:

That was a good. Read... Keep up the good work.

Out of character Diamond Tiara is a good Diamond Tiara, :D
Nice story.

Spike and Diamond Tiara? This is new. Valentine's day tends to be one of those annoying days where people just ship their favorite mane 6 pairing and although there's a flurry of new stories, most of them are as plain as they get. This is different. If nothing else, you've stepped out of the whole of mediocre shipping. Bravo.

Unconventional... but nice :twilightsmile:

It was interesting, different for sure, but not bad. I give it a 6/10

OOC Diamond Tiara is the only acceptable Diamond Tiara.

IC Diamond Tiara's nickname is Football.

"I suddenly like you."
"I suddenly feel like like you too... but only if you buy me a gift."

[Later, after slapstick fetch quest]
Do-doooo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yic7IRO9d6I

"I like you."
"I like you too."
"Let's go on a date."
"Okay."

I love this satire on relationships, how they are often based to be superficial and materialistic due to the nature of our corporate, consumer-driven lifestyle dictated by commercialism.

It's perfect, especially how the lack of detail, beige writing, reflects the lack of true commitment. After all, like Sliver said: ""Diamond, stop acting as if we’re going to get married or something . For all I know we could break up next week."

Everything's fragmented and rushed because that's what their love is. Half-hearted and insincere. They've only just met and had little to nothing in common. One wants to get a date simply because she doesn't want to be left out while the other wants to overcome a sense of loss from being rejected. They praise themselves over only their physical features.

Also, nobody seems to care that Spike is a dragon.

3952864
John Madden!

I saw the cover and I was like.........."Is this clop?"

3953860
Haven't read the story, yet, but reading your comment with the interpretation that you disliked the story and are subtly mocking it is an amusing story in itself.

...That was alright.... :twilightsmile:

3954622
Satire is an untapped genre of comedy.
I am just kidding, it's the most overused one. But still.

I don' even know what to say about this:pinkiesmile::twilightsmile:

the fic was great it really touch my heart to see romance like that

When I saw the pic I thought this would be inappropriate. :twilightblush:

3998810
That's what most think. I had to get a good look at the pic to make sure it wasn't before I made it the cover art.

4001752 i was like "oh sweet Celestia " :pinkiegasp::fluttershbad:

As much as people down right hate that little filly... it is very nice that she has found her self a very spical somedragon.

am i the only one who wants a sequal?:twilightsheepish:

oh my gosh:derpyderp2:

a nice sweet story with a completely unique pairing I just got around to read... well done good sir, well done *tips my hypothetical hat*

Login or register to comment