• Published 15th Feb 2014
  • 870 Views, 87 Comments

And I Will Love You... - Scootareader



Forced to see each other only in their dreams and wishing for a life that can never be had, Tom and Bloomberg try to find out how to survive apart.

  • ...
8
 87
 870

When There is Nothing Else

Ash falls from the sky like snow, blanketing me with my lover. It offers no comfort; I am alone.

All that remains of Bloomberg is a blackened trunk. He has been dead for countless centuries. I can see it in his wood. I can feel it in the barrenness of the land around me. He is dead. He is gone.

Still, he calls to me. Tom, come to me. I love you, Tom. Please don’t give up now.

I have given up. My Bloomberg is dead. I can see you, Bloomberg. You are dead... and I was a fool to believe we might be together.

He insists. He urges me. Just come to me, Tom. I know we can be together. Please, come to me.

Where? Where can we be together? There is nothing for me. A rock cannot give up a life that it never had. All I have are dreams and memories of a time long gone and a life I never lived. I think and I feel, but I am not alive. We can never be together. Not even in death.

Tom, come to me. Just believe that we may be together, and we will be. We’re... closer now than we’ve ever been before. I don’t want to lose you now.

ENOUGH! The word reverberates through my thoughts, squelching the tiny voice that has been squeaking falsehoods at me the entire time. I am sick of listening to hollow promises and guarantees of a life that can never and will never be had.

My love is dead. All I have left of him is his corpse to mourn over. I dared to love, and love found a way to destroy everything I had.

My mind is still intact. This is the final irony: I can feel every last iota of pain this causes me. Love found a way.

To say that this has embittered me is laughable; rather, it has exposed me to a full range of emotion that I thought I’d buried in the past. If words could describe it, I would do just that. I can’t, though; this sea of doubt and anger and fear and denial can’t be told in words.

Bloomberg is dead. The sooner I come to terms with this, the better off I will be.

It’s no use, though. I love him.

I love Bloomberg.

He’s dead. Bloomberg is dead.

And I love him.

What is wrong with me? I love a blackened piece of wood that my body presses up against. It’s not even alive.

Then again, neither am I. Bloomberg must have known this. We both had to know that I would be alone in the end. I just... thought we would have had more time together. I never even got to tell him goodbye.

How long have I been listening to only my memories of Bloomberg? How long have I forgotten what his voice truly sounds like? Could I even hear him in the first place? Was I talking to the very tree that I have finally found, only to learn that he has been long dead, possibly before I even dreamed of him?

No, the love we felt for one another is real. The love I still feel for him is real.

Nothing will ever take away what Bloomberg and I shared. I will always remember the tree root that touched me so lovingly. I will always remember feeling my body pressed up against his, even after he had left it. I will always remember the love I felt for him and the love I still feel for him. For better or for worse, I love Bloomberg.

Nothing, not even death, can make me stop loving him.

It is not maddening, not anymore. He is dead. Nothing can bring him back to me. All I have left of him are memories and a corpse. That will have to be enough.

The world has already ended, in a way. Just as life has been snatched away from Bloomberg, so has it been snatched away from everything else. There is nothing here anymore, only an endless blanket of ash covering everything. I alone stand vigil until the apocalypse.

I could not have asked for better company.

Comments ( 36 )

So beautiful.:fluttercry: *sniffles* Don't look at me!:fluttershyouch:

Is it strange that I just now realized that I haven't liked or favorited this, also, sad Tom makes me sad.:fluttershyouch:

And to think we mocked Maud Pie for her devotion to stones.

4269431
Was it the ending you saw?

4269942
No. I did anticipate Tom outliving (so to speak) Bloomberg, but I didn't expect anything quite so apocalyptic.

Which is just as well, since the Real Ending is shattering enough.

...shit man. That was more intense than I thought it would be.

Damn son. To think that this was always a crack ship and you came along and made it something real.

:fluttercry:/10

This beautiful work does not have the recognition it deserves. The amount of emotion in this story was so incredible to read that I would say it rivals some of the current top stories on the site.

That feels trip was absolutely amazing. You get a favorite and a follow for this one. You deserve it!

4586073
You're mighty welcome :ajsmug:

This...was unusual. A pairing between a rock and a tree, executed so beautifully. And they held out even after the world had ended.

I have no words to describe how well crafted this story is. If only it were longer, though. Then again, you put in the best effort for this one great story.

While my feels truly haven't been evoked from this, this did indeed play out very well. The romance, the dreams, the ending...just everything. It was so magnificent.

You also took into account Tom's immobility. That in itself was amazing. The way fate brought them together, only to tear them apart in the end, was amazing.

DUDE! This is a level of awe that has gone unnoticed by many of the site's readers. You crafted something elegant, for crying out loud! I'm tempted to hire you as one of my editors!

It's just...:pinkiesad2:

4973409

While my feels truly haven't been evoked from this

*snaps fingers* Blast!

I'm tempted to hire you as one of my editors!

I'd love to, but I have a busy life and a busy schedule, sadly. :fluttershysad: As it is, I am a member of The Royal Guard editors, but haven't been able to work on any of their fics for, like... 2 or 3 months? Somewhere around there... yeah, it's bad. :unsuresweetie: I will sometimes do editing odd jobs for 3k word stories, which is about my limit.

I'm flattered that you would consider me for editing, and I would probably be happy to edit for you, if I had the time and devotion to do so. :pinkiesmile:

5005931
I look forward to the rest of your feelings. :pinkiesmile: Glad you are enjoying it thus far.

5006818
Only three more chapters, my friend. :pinkiesmile: Thank you for sharing your journey thus far.

I more or less figured this out at the beginning of the last chapter, but it's still a touching end. Let this story stand in tribute to the concept that any ship – any ship – could work. My only disappointment here is that so many people lack the literary appreciation to see this as more than a crackship.

You impress me, sir. I shall be perusing your material for another story to add to my RiL.

5010903
Surprisingly, no one has told me this is a crackship. The only reason it has so little views is because it has had so little exposure, I'd imagine.

And that's just fine with me. :pinkiesmile: I'm happy for what readers it does attract. Thank you for sharing your journey.

5011325

The only reason it has so little views is because it has had so little exposure, I'd imagine

I disagree. It's been featured by people with 1,000+ followers, that's how I found it. I think most people look at the subject matter, laugh and move on.

But then, I'm very cynical regarding the average reader.

5011367

It's been featured by people with 1,000+ followers, that's how I found it.

It... it has? :pinkiegasp: No one ever told me!

It got into TRG and Twilight's Library, but I never heard about it being anywhere else. :twilightsheepish: I'd like to know so I can thank the kind soul for promoting it. :pinkiesmile:

*heads to Google*

I had no idea this was even getting exposure. I seriously thought the low views were due to lack of exposure. I guess the premise is somewhat stranger than what most would be looking for in a romance. Thanks for the information. :pinkiesmile:

5011399
I'm sorry to say it's been so friggen long since I saw the promotion that I can't specifically remember who did it. I want to say it was The Parasprite, and seeing that he did read the whole thing... still, can't say for certain.

5011468
I remember para finding it. Maybe. :pinkiesmile:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Wow, shit. The story to read while drunk.

5451050
I can only imagine. Trees and rocks communicating? So surreal. :twistnerd:

*starts chanting*
Sequel, Sequel, Sequel.

5684660
On a scale of 1 to 10, how forced would that be? :rainbowlaugh:

5684693 around a 4, because if you think about, their spirits could meet , all lives come to an end and i believe you will be with the people whom you love and care for. Me and my bro have already decided that we will travel the universe and explore

5684856
Tom is mostly timeless. I guess he will probably be dropped into a lava flow and slowly melt away eventually, though. :eeyup:

Whatever the case, I think the message I communicated in this story is exactly what I wanted. A sequel would feel too over-the-top for me. :pinkiesmile:

And yet I don't think that this is the strangest ship that I've seen. Crackships and rare pairs done seriously are always a treat.

3947829
I read the description and I was confused then I noticed there wasn't a comedy tag and got extra confused.

8559396
I hope you read it, friend. :pinkiesmile: No one ever expects Tom x Bloomberg to be played seriously.

This is almost bizarrely well written. I didn't think you could play such a bonkers premise so straight, but kudos. One of the few stories I've read with the tragedy tag that actually earns it, and what's more, earns it in a weirdly earnest way. Excellent work.

Login or register to comment