• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 4,797 Views, 91 Comments

Twilight of Equestria - Aeondragon



Twilight awakens the true power of her element just in time for war to engulf Equestria

  • ...
3
 91
 4,797

Thunder Interlude

Thunder Interlude

Ironhoof glared at the fading rainbow trail. One pony. Eleven elite guards against a single unarmed and exhausted filly, and the cyan mare had managed to get away. On the other hand, he’d obviously been right not to deal with the brat himself. Whatever treachery Celestia had placed on her had obviously enabled the Element of Loyalty to escape. Unfortunate, but not entirely unexpected.

He hadn’t really expected her to join him, though that would have been an unbelievable coup. There was a reason that he’d placed a full squad of ponies outside his room, after all. He’d thought about simply killing her himself, but he’d been wary of Celestia’s precautions. There was no way that one of the six Elements of Harmony wouldn’t have protective enchantments on her, and he didn’t dare trigger them himself.

He gnashed his teeth. Even if he had planned for it, he’d hoped that they’d still be able to take her down. He’d carefully measured her stamina and strength throughout her Wonderbolt training, and had ordered Spitfire to increase the final test accordingly. She should have been too tired to fight, let alone trigger yet another of her signature Rainbooms as she escaped.

Malevolent plans came together behind his ebony eyes as he watched a legion of pegasi return from Canterlot. Things were in motion now, and no one, not even the precious princesses, could stop the coming storm.


The dark grey pony smirked savagely as he looked over the map of Equestria. With casual ease, he crushed a miniature town beneath a single hoof, destroying the mock town on the three dimensional map. Everything had gone according to plan. It had been weeks of careful manipulation, but it had paid off in the end. Manehattan had been completely obliterated by the massive storm. He had no illusions about the process being successful on a much wider scale, but it was still a major success, and one that he knew would be repeated in the coming days. Per his orders, clouds were now blocking out the sky across the whole country. Equestria was going to fall, and the pegasi would take their place as the rightful rulers of ponykind.


Ironhoof stared into the basin with relish. It was an old artifact, one that had been quite difficult to acquire. It allowed one to see great distances. Essentially, the bowl was linked to any water placed within it. If somepony should remove some water and carry it with them, then the bowl could be used to watch everything that occurred around them. It was very limited, and often stopped functioning for no reason, but it was still enormously useful.

He’d given a small container of water to the leader of his strike force so he could personally see the effects of the Battle Cloud. It was his secret weapon. He’d had ponies working on it for years, and it had only recently been completed. Effectively, the clouds were immune to both unicorn and earth pony magic, and even resistant to conventional damage. They would still detonate if ruptured or if they struck with sufficient force, but attacking them with projectiles was futile. It was an extremely delicate process to fill them with unrefined liquid rainbow. However, the result was a weapon of incomparable power.

He knew the clouds worked on a small scale, but this would be the first true combat test. Of course, with any luck, the actual combat test would be postponed. If the enormous Super Battle Cloud worked, it would destroy the village completely.

He’d picked the home of Celestia’s secret weapon, Ponyville, for the test. If it worked, the threat of the Elements of Harmony would be eradicated. Even if the giant cloud failed, he had sent enough battle clouds to reduce most of the town to rubble. It would be another great show of the power of the pegasi.

Ironhoof watched with great anticipation as the giant cloud neared the small village. He frowned as he saw a cyan figure fly towards the cloud. It had to be Rainbow Dash. He smirked. She might be able to stop the cloud, but not without killing herself in the process. The blue blur paused for a moment, hurling something at it. Nothing happened, obviously, so he knew she would proceed to try and break it like she would any other. He grinned savagely as he watched eagerly.

Sure enough, the blue pony flew into the cloud. He cursed as a rainbow propelled her away from the explosion. How? He’d studied her abilities, and there was no way that she could trigger one of her signature Rainbooms in the complete opposite direction of her flight.

He watched her plummet towards the ground, propelled by the blast. She was going too fast for even a pegasus to survive, he thought gleefully. Unfortunately, she had already gone beyond the range of the bowl, so he couldn’t watch her body collide with the ground.

A moment later, a huge dome of energy materialized over the town. A lavender figure stepped out of it. It could only be Twilight Sparkle, Celestia’s protégé. He felt hatred build within him. Despite his rage, he could only watch as the unicorn decimated his forces, the surface of the bowl going dark as the pegasus carrying the water hit the ground, obviously breaking the vessel containing it.

He roared in absolute fury as he struck the basin. The stone bowl fell to the reinforced cloud floor, the water within spilling out in an instant. His black eyes seem to burn, growing even darker. They seemed to emanate a foul light.


Ironhoof stood on one of Cloudsdale’s new walls, staring into the distance. Celestia had returned not long after her student had foiled his plan with the Super Battle Cloud. Her presence meant that he had to move much more carefully. As he had been one of her top advisors, he had a better idea than most of just what she was capable of. Because of that, he knew his moves had to be planned carefully.

He’d planned out an ambush for the reinforcements from the Crystal Empire. His second in command, Spitfire, was in charge of more than two hundred and fifty pegasi for this attack. He’d picked out a point along their probable route and had planned everything out.

Everything had been going according to plan, until the basin failed. Unfortunately, there was no way to reestablish a link, so he was forced to wait for the return of his army.

Hours later, he finally saw ponies coming towards him. In the lead was Spitfire, but almost all of them, even the captain of the Wonderbolts, were injured. What’s more, there were far fewer ponies than there should be.

Ironhoof listened coldly as Spitfire gave her report. He heard of Twilight Sparkle’s creation, of how her insignificant ‘Twilight Brigade’ managed to overcome his pegasi, saving the wounded Crystal Empire forces. He ordered her to the medical wing without betraying an ounce of emotion.

Once the returning ponies were gone, he allowed his emotions to boil forth. Black smoke actually emerged from his eyes as he roared to the evening sky.

“Twilight Sparkle!” He roared, his voice filled with pure hatred.

He smashed his hoof into the ground, tearing the reinforced cloud beneath, which was stronger than steel. A massive gash was ripped in the wall, large enough for even a pony of his large size to walk through with ease. Considering the wall shielded the entirety of Cloudsdale, a rift of this size would take days to repair.

His anger temporarily sated, he stalked away from the wall. He had plans to make. Celestia and her precious Equestria would fall, and Twilight Sparkle would be nothing more than a minor obstacle, even if he had to kill her himself.

Author's Note:

Well, here's the first Thunder Interlude. There will be at least one more later. This one's short, but I wanted to give an idea of Ironhoof's character, as well as show his reactions to the events so far. In case it isn't obvious from the ending, he is ridiculously strong. Picture a steel wall that blocks all of Cloudsdale, then picture a pony tearing it completely with a single strike. For anyone who's worried about Twilight being too powerful, I hope this relieves at least some of those doubts. I measure character power levels to a scale (or several, in the case of this story) to make sure that characters fit where they're supposed to. Twilight is OP when you compare her to regular ponies. But so are many other characters.

Next time: Aftermath. We see the results of the Twilight Brigade's victory and more.

I need a lot more OCs, so keep sending them to me! Also, I really want to know what people think of the story so far, so please let me know. Any comments, good or bad, are welcome!

Comments ( 26 )

OCs huh? Are minotaurs accepted? :rainbowhuh:

Tis good, do you plan on having any neutral parties added into the fight>? if so I have a few characters I could give ya. just send me a message.:twilightsmile:

I'm guessing you could find a use for my OC.

Name:Garm
Race: Northern Minotaur (AKA VIking Minotaur)
Age: around 55

Profession: Mercenary. Before that he was a Blacksmith that was conscripted by his government's military .

Appearance: Fairly short for a minotaur, Garm stands about a foot shorter than Iron Will. Coat is deep gray, Bald with a long braided orange goatee. Short chipped horns, fading from black to gray with tips darkened with blue warpaint.

Scars from his life as a smith and soldier run along his chest and forearms, which bulge with muscle from long years of practicing his craft.

Personality: Does not get along with many magic users due to painful experience, As a result, he will only trust those who prove themselves with loyalty, Absoluting hates pegasi for reasons unknown. Has accented speech similar to stereotypical Scottish. Loves to get close to his foes to rip and tear them to pieces with his bare hands or massive battle axe: Skullcleaver the Mountain. Or he'll just crush them under his hooves. Despises heavy armor due to lack of movement and will only wear chainmail. Also uses a harpoon of sorts to pull unfortunate flyers out of the sky in order to mangle them.

Pretty much your stereotypical Tabletop RPG Barbarian with a ranged ability.


(And I just came up with this on the fly) :pinkiecrazy:

Whatever treachery Celestia had placed on her had obviously enabled the Element of Loyalty to escape.

This line is contradicting itself so much that either
a - You made a blunder or
b - Ironhoof is such a gigantic idiot that he does not realise just where Rainbow's loyalty lies :3

I like it. I sent you the description for my OC but I did not see a reply, I just wanted to know it you are going to use Caboose in the story. :pinkiehappy:

Oi, you mentioned how you measure them in a scale.

So... Now I'm curious, what's the scale and where are my characters on said scale? xD

3208998
Neither. The idea is that Celestia placed some sort of protection on Rainbow, as he doesn't know about the bracelet. If it's really that confusing, I can fix it. As for the scale, it's both simple and really complex. I can tell you if you really want, but I wrote more than six hundred words for the explanation before I even realized it. :twilightblush:

3208761
I didn't really have any plans in mind for minotaurs, but the plans are relatively easy to adjust at the moment. Then again, I can always just use him as a mercenary, so I guess it works either way.

3210578
I'd really like to know :3 You could just PM me a Gdoc link. That, and a a list of where they are on the list xP

Also, my point is that Rainbow is the Element of Loyalty, and her loyalty lies with Equestria as a whole, NOT the pegasi race.
Ironhoof seems to think that Rainbow is loyal to Pegasi by default because she's a pegasus, and thinks that Celestia made her betray her race :derpytongue2:

3212461
He wasn't really expecting her to join him, as I mentioned in the chapter. In fact, I said it almost word for word. That line referred to him being wary of any sort of protection that Celestia had placed. I'm pretty sure that this whole thing was covered by paragraph 2.

Nice, I can't believe it took until now for me to read this story. I like seeing Twilight fight so this naturally is going into my favorites list.

So when will you Mack more of this amazing story

I've got an OC for you. His name Shadow Blaze. He's a unicorn with a black coat with red markings that look like slashes from claws. His cutie mark is a flaming sword in front of a shattered shield, he has a blood red mane and tail, and silver eyes. His horn is crimson and jagged. He stands taller than most unicorns but is slim rather than bulky.

Great chapter, though I do wonder, after that battle last chapter, where Twilight uses Pegasus magic to hover in midair, will she develop a spell to fly easier since she realized that that method left her vulnerable in midair. Looking forward to the next chapter.

3212518 I've got an OC you could use

Name: Tome Keeper
Race: Unicorn
Coloration: Brown with a white mane with a black stripe
Cutie Mark: A closed book with chains keeping it closed, with a shield shaped lock.
Special Talent: Defensive magic, primarily in the form of wards.
Personality: Shy when meeting new ponies, but when around those she knows can be quite chatty. A master of keeping secrets, and knowing when it's necessary to tell them.
Cutie Mark Story: When she was a little filly, her brother kept reading her diary, so she cast a ward on it to shock him when he tried to open it again. After her parents praised her for figuring out something so tricky, after scolding her for shocking her brother, it appeared.

That moment when you look at a fic your interested than glance at the last time it was updated and all desire to read it flees like rats from a sinking ship.

Nope, wont be hurt again.

Pegasui can be so stupid. Dont they realize that they need unicorns just as much as unicorns need them XD

7941644
I know what you mean:raritydespair:

My OC, Bright Shadow
Bright is a black coated unicorn with a bright electric blue mane that has a navy blue and forest green stripe. She styles it like Twilight’s because she’s always admired her half-sister. Her eyes are blue, changing hue with her mood. Her mother was a blacksmith, named Black Viper, her father Night Light was unknown to her until she met Twilight. She thought her dad was one Green Pie, an uncle of Pinkie’s. She was raised indoors, Black having had her in secret, being not allowed to have children because of her husband. On her sixth birthday, both Black and Green were brutally tortured and killed. She had a magic surge that turned her horn navy blue and killed her parents’ killer. She got her cutie mark that day. I have three alternate cutie marks for her, depending on her purpose in the story. One is pretty much Twilight’s cutie mark recolored to represent that it’s for Dark Magic, or Shadow Magic. An ability unique to her is that she can travel through and become shadow. Another is a 3D image of a coiled viper, coloration blue, preparing to strike, representing her ability to strategize, and her deadly skill, as well as her deeply rooted beliefs regarding family. The third is a book with a skull-embossed star on it, showing that her talent is in understanding death in all its forms. All three leave her childhood home, staying close by, until she overheard guards talking about how the filly that lived here has a live parent, and that when they find her, they’ll release her to Night Light’s custody. She sets off to find her father, and discovers his family.
The first grows up to stalk Twilight, killing any who dares hurt her beloved sister, starting with Night Light for cheating on his wife with her mother, to save her sister from finding out. The second grows up to become a serial killer with seemingly no loyalty until she gives her life to save her sister.In other words, she will do literally anything for her sister. Bright is a sociopath who loves her sister over even her own life. The third reveals herself to the family, and eventually becomes an investigator for the Royal Guard, specializing in catching killers. Sociopath she may be, but she loves her sister, and fears if Twilight were to treat her like the intruder she feels she is. So, she joins the Guard, and uses her lack of empathy for good, because that’s what her sister would want. Sometimes, I use all three at once as triplets. The visual differences being in their manes, one has the blue stripe, one has the green stripe, and the third has neither. I hope you can use her in some form. A little editing is just fine by me. I hope to see her at some point, though.

3212518
*in caveman voice* You write. update story. *proceeds to make ape noises*

3212518
you better have another chapter up soon... eager to read more

Awh That was the best 6 chapters of my life. There’s just something about a Supercharged Twilight that gets me so hyped. It’s adrenaline-pumping! I’m honestly pretty sad this hasn’t been updated in almost a decade, wow- who can believe that much time has passed? This was so fucking awesome to read my dude! :c Just sad there isn’t more to read.

It would be quite the twist if Lightning Dust was part of the good guys in this story and are some other background ponies making a appearance? Like Sweet "Bon Bon" Drops, agent and monster hunter? Or Starlight Glimmer?

10638560
Considering this was written before Twilight even became a princess, I don’t think there was ever any plans for Starlight to come into play

For anyone who's worried about Twilight being too powerful, I hope this relieves at least some of those doubts. I measure character power levels to a scale (or several, in the case of this story) to make sure that characters fit where they're supposed to. Twilight is OP when you compare her to regular ponies. But so are many other characters.

Why do people hate Twilight being to powerful? I don't get it, do people want to watch fiction characters struggle? To die? To be tortured? I have seen a lot of stories on this site and I gotta say, most of it does not please me. It sickens me seeing what stories Arthur's make nowadays, it's like they don't even have any empathy.



Anyways this is a great story, I really hope I see more.

Login or register to comment