• Published 13th May 2013
  • 3,482 Views, 342 Comments

A Vivid Dreamer - Kronoxis



Luna finds the dreams of something that doesnt belong in Equestria.

  • ...
13
 342
 3,482

Ch21: Memory-The Smithing Kid

A Vivid Dreamer – Ch21
Memory-The Smithing Kid

Iron Ingot was busy on his anvil, working on a recent order. Using a specially shaped horseshoe he was able to hold the iron as he hammered it into shape. The iron would glow a bright red as each resounding hammer slowly caused it to yield into shape. The iron and the ringing sound of the hammer against metal was his world, and nothing else mattered. Until he heard the bell of his store entrance ring out between swings.

Placing the iron back in the forge near the edge of the flames in order to maintain the heat, he hung up his horse shoe on the anvil so he could deal with his new customer.

Ingot walked up to his counter, and was able to see his customer observe his wares. Ingot was not inexperienced when it came to dealing with diamond dog pups; they would occasionally frequent his store out of curiosity, trying to find out where their parents get the ‘pointies’. The pup that had walked into his store looked like a diamond dog, but that was just it. He looked like a diamond dog but there were plenty things that seemed contrary.

First were his arms; they still held the basic shape seen in all diamond dogs. Wide wrists and large forearms, but his arm length was not nearly as long as they should be, meaning that he could not walk on all fours while standing. Because of this, the pup before him held his back perfectly straight, instead of the more natural hunched forward posture.

Secondly were his ears; while it was not uncommon for a diamond dog to have pointed ears, this pup’s was nearly ridiculously large. They were nearly as tall as his face was long, with his pointed muzzle. This seemed wrong to Ingot however, since diamond dogs had a sensitivity to high pitched sounds, having such large ears would most likely a detriment.

Third was the pups fur, not only was it an obvious shade of white, but he was positively fluffy. Such long hair had no place underground, it would constantly get dirty in the underground environment. His tail, which was longer than necessary, was an elongated ball of fluff. This was nowhere near the clubbed, spiked tail of a normal dog; should this pup find himself in a collapsing tunnel there is no doubt his tail would become a liability, getting caught under a rock would be highly probable. By this time Ingot realised that this pup had caught him staring, he just seemed to smile back.

Ingot decided to take the initiative, “Hello, and welcome to Ingot’s Smithing. I’m Iron Ingot, how can I help you today?”

The smile the pup wore faltered into nervousness, and he started to run his paw over the back of his head, “Hi. My name’s Lodestone, and I was hoping to apprentice under you.”

Ingot raised an eyebrow in a questioning expression before turning serious, “Listen, kid. I’ll tell you the same thing I’ve told every other pup that’s asked me. This is my place of business, not some playground. You can’t come here asking for me to teach you, just so you can get access to all the ‘pointy’ toys.” Reaching under the counter, Ingot pulled out a short sword and slammed it onto the counter, “THIS is not a TOY, this is weapon. I know some of the things your pack deals with in those tunnels, but there is a reason your mothers have you training with blunted, wooden sticks. This can kill you, if you don’t treat it with the proper respect.”

Ingot watched Lodestone nod in understanding, “If you feel so strongly about it, I could just learn how make your armors, I’ll stay away from your weapons and won’t ask about them.”

Ingot was a little taken back by this response, usually the pups he had dealt with would press, give up, or whine; which always ended in himself laughing his flank off as they irritated themselves more than they would Ingot. But here was a pup that somehow accepted his refusal to teach him, but pressed through another means. Not a lot of people knew about his armor smithing, mainly because he only had his weapons on display; he occasionally worked on the armors for the Lunar guard. Putting the shortsword away, Ingot took on a less threatening posture.

“Okay then, first answer me this. Why do you want to learn armour smithing?”

Lodestone held a crestfallen expression as he drew circles with his foot, “Well, the Badlands pack took me in. They’ve made sure I am well, feed me, and even allow me a place to sleep. But I have no means to repay them, the other pups can already dig tunnels. They may be small but they can still help, but, it turns out I’m terrible at digging. I was hoping that if I could learn from you, then I would be able to maintain and repair most of the pack’s tools and armour.”

Ingot thought about what he said until it clicked, “Ah, so you’re the pup Bertha decided to take in?”

Lodestone returned a questioning look, “How did you know?”

Ingot chuckled, “most of my regulars are dogs and griffons, other ponies frown at my art. And you are the talk of the pack kid. That, and I don’t think I've seen Bertha so happy before.”

“How do you know Bertha?”

Smirking, Ingot continued, “I'm pretty sure you noticed by now, that Bertha is the largest dog anyone has seen. That doesn’t really lend itself well to detailed tasks, so she brings her armor in for me to clean and polish every week. Also that greatsword of hers is the only weapon big enough for her, but not even a weapon as fine as that one can stand up to her strength so I’m regularly restoring it.” Ingot tapped his chin in thought for a moment, “Okay. I can see where you’re coming from. If you were an adult dog, Zak would probably have just made certain you would live, before throwing you back out. I guess it’s because Bertha took you in that the others are able to accept your presence, but without a collar you're still an outsider to them. I can see you trying to make yourself useful to the pack.” Giving himself a satisfied smirk he walked around the counter to face Lodestone, “Alright you’ve proven yourself to be more responsible than the other pups that have tried, but what can you do, that I can’t get another pony to?”

Ingot watched as Lodestone tried to devise a reason. He was a bit confused when the pup presented a balled up paw, and he raised an eyebrow to display as much. It was then that Lodestone popped his thumb straight up, giving Ingot a thumbs up. It wasn’t until Lodestone mirrored the gesture with his other paw, and started to wiggle his thumbs that Ingot couldn’t hold it in anymore. With a deep hearty laugh, Iron Ingot laughed his flank off.

“Alright kid, I see you’ll fit in just fine around here,” he said, through his chuckles, “If you can put up with me and not quit, I’ll teach you everything I can.”

Putting his paws flat together and holding them in front of himself; Lodestone gave Ingot a deep but sharp bow. “Thank you, you won’t be disappointed.”

Ingot just gave Lodestone a questioning scowl, “what the hay was that?”

“You don’t know? That bow can be a greeting, sign of respect, and in this cause to signify either the start or end to training.”

Ingot felt his eye twitch, as he let out a sigh, “You know kid? I give you about a week.”

/*\

Iron Ingot spent the better part of that afternoon shaping the blade he had been working on before meeting Lodestone. With his final swings he managed to get the edge of the blade just right, all that was left, was to heat the entire blade, and work out the stresses created from his shaping. So placing the blade in a trough filled with burning coals he made sure that the blade received the heat evenly, it would sit there until the entire blade was white hot. So Ingot decided to take this time to see how Lodestone was progressing in his tasks, he was a little quiet for Ingots tastes.

Walking into one of the side rooms Ingot found Lodestone sitting on one of the stools. Placed around him were various pieces of the tarnished armor he had asked him to polish. In his lap sat the barrel piece, at his feet was the tub of polish, and Lodestone was vigorously rubbing away. Ingot watched as he was able to use his paw digits to get the polish cloth in between the individual plates, something that would have required Ingot to use a cloth wrapped stick. And would require him to use his mouth to manipulate, giving him mouthfuls of the distasteful polish. He was more than happy to pawn this task off to Lodestone, as that armor had been a nagging presence; reminding him with it’s blemished surfaces that somepony had paid him to restore it.

Ingot continued to watch the pup in silence, he was busy muttering something to himself. He continued to listen as Lodestone repeated the same phrase over and over again. "Wax on. Wax off."

Ingot decided to make himself known, “so how’s it going kid? you do know that's polish right, and not wax?”

Ingot watched as one of his ears spun around to face him before his head followed suit. Lodestone looked down at the armor in his lap before looking back up at Ingot. “Oh I know, this just reminded me of a... story I know. Anyway, still working on the chest piece—“

“Barrel,” Ingot retorted.

“Huh?” Lodestone tilted his head at the interruption.

“This armor is for a pony, it wraps around the barrel. Its slightly different from chest pieces that a dog or a minotaur would wear.”

Looking down at the armor he held, Lodestone was able to make note of the different positioning the binding straps took, “Oh, I see.” Looking back up at Ingot he continued, “Well it’s a little tougher than I thought but I’m making progress.”

“What’s that, there?” Ingot queried, with a raised eyebrow.

Lodestone looked at Ingot with a questioning face, before putting the armor piece down along with the cloth he had been using. He then began to look himself over, searching his chest and legs, “What? Did I get some in my fur?”

Ingot tried his hardest to stifle a laugh, as he watched Lodestone pat himself down looking for imaginary stains. What Lodestone didn’t realise that while his fur wasn’t stained, his paws were stained by both the polish and the tarnish it was used to remove. Lodestone looked himself over and once he realised his mistake his ears folded back and a saddened expression grew upon the features of his face. Lodestone stood there, his snow white fur, easily stained, highlighting all the areas he had patted himself down with smears of grey and brown.

It was at this point that Ingot lost it, and started laughing. Lodestone looked up at the laughing stallion, then down at himself again before he started giggling. Wiping a tear that had started to form Ingot spoke to Lodestone, “You know what kid, If I can get you to polish a few more armors I’m sure I can get your fur the proper colour for a dog.”

Looking himself over Lodestone said, “Heh heh, maybe it would help me fit in with the pack more. But I doubt Bertha would want such a dirty dog in bed with her.”

“…” The room seemed to fall into a deadly silence, it seemed that even the world outside Ingot’s shop stood still. That was, until Ingot fell over, and began laughing his head off while rolling on his back. The recognition of what had left his mouth could easily be seen broadcasted from his face; his eyes shot open in shock, as his pupils shrank and his mouth was left agape. Lodestone shook the shock from his head as Ingot continued to roll on the floor.

“No, no, I don’t mean it like that. She is an adult,” he looked himself over, “and I’m just a pup. What I meant to say is that I’m sure she would appreciate it if I was clean before she slept with me.” Ingot, who was still laughing, was in the middle of getting up when Lodestone finished. Upon hearing his utterance Ingot found himself once more on the floor, but this time laughing a full on belly laugh.

It took a minute and a half before Ingot could settle himself enough to try and stand again. “HA HA, HA, HA. Jeez kid I nearly bust a gut, ho, that was fun.” Ingot looked up to see the flustered expression all over Lodestone’s face, he was busy racking his mind for some way to redeem himself, without using any more easily misinterpreted words. Seeing Lodestone so panicked Ingot couldn’t help but poke a little fun.

“Look kid don’t worry about it.” Lodestone looked at him, slightly calmer, but still searching for words to explain himself. So Ingot continued, “Bertha wouldn’t be interested, you're way too small to please her.”

Ingot watched Lodestone’s face redden, his tail tuck up between his legs and his feet cross. He barely managed to catch himself from falling over again as he let out another bout of full on laughter.

Once Lodestone managed to get his body under control and Ingot composed himself Lodestone spoke up. “Okay… all innuendos aside, I am sleeping in the same chamber as Bertha and she only has one bed. She tells me I’m too young, and that she doesn’t trust the rest of the pack around me just yet.”

Ingot dusted of a piece of lint that had clung to his shoulder. “No, I understand, I’ve been around enough diamond dogs to know that they are territorial, possessive and can be highly aggressive to those of another pack. If I am understanding their culture correctly; the reason you are even in this situation is cause they found you without a collar, correct?”

Lodestone felt around his neck for what was not there, “Yeah.”

“You probably don’t know this, seeing as you don’t have one. But a collar is very sacred to a Diamond Dog; it signifies their connection to their pack and their family. They are given to pups as a rite of passage, generally when they first open their eyes. Now, seeing as you don’t have one, you’ve been without family or a pack for a long time. As that can be a trying experience, probably one you’re not comfortable with sharing I’m not going to press the matter,” Lodestone gave him a small smile, “plus, we barely know each other. But, now listen carefully, you make friends and prove you can benefit the pack, and they will accept you as their own. You will gain a strong pack and family, one of the few that has taken in Equestria’s ideals as their own.” Placing his hoof on Lodestones shoulder, He gave a curt nod. Pulling back Ingot began to look about the room, “Now why did I come in here again?”

Ingot spotted the pieces of armor laid around the stool that Lodestone had been seated in when he walked in. “You seem to be taking this a little well,” He waved a hoof across the spread of armor segments, “Most others that try to learn under me always complaining about how they can't start hammering iron yet. Which leads me to my next question, why are you taking this so well?”

Lodestone picked up the barrel piece, and began to turn it over in his paws, “Well, how am I supposed to forge anything if I don’t even know what I’m making is going to look like?” Ingot was a little surprised by the response, Lodestone seeing this decided to continue. “how am I supposed to start making a barrel or chest piece if I don’t know what they look like. I didn’t even know there was a difference until you told me. Polishing this armor meant I get to see not only what it looks like, but also how it’s put together. Only once I know what I making can I actually start making it.”

Ingot gave a satisfied smile as he bumped Lodestone in the shoulder with a hoof. “You know you’re the first apprentice I’ve taken in that has actually gotten what I was trying to teach them.”

“Really?” Lodestone said in surprise. he then muttered to himself under his breath, "I was just assuming he was pulling a Mr. Miyagi."

“Yes. I’ve had dogs and griffons come to me, trying to learn how to make weapons. Even had foals come to me trying to find their cutie marks in smithing. Every single one of them complained about having to clean my wares, or griped about not being taught how to make them. To be honest, since I hadn’t heard anything from you I thought you had fallen asleep.”

Lodestone gave Ingot a thoughtful expression, “So the reason you came to check up on me was because it was too quiet?”

“In a way, yes. When I'm working on someone’s order my shop is filled noise, but on the slow days the quiet can be quite unbearable. “

An almost evil smirk appeared on Lodestones muzzle, “So, you’re saying you took me in ‘cause you missed the whining? I’m sure I can fix that.”

“Oh please do, it will bring back so many memories.” Lodestone’s smirk turned into a smile as he began to clear his throat.

“Okay how about this,” Ingot smiled a knowing smile as he watched the canine before him proceed, his voice raising half an octave. “Why does this polish smell so bad, it’s gone and stained my fur,” Ingot waited for the inevitable as Lodestone’s voice rose another half octave, “I think I’ve cracked a nail, this stool is too short,” as Lodestone’s voice began to crack as he tried to reach a higher pitch, Ingot knew what would happen next. “Why does this armour have to be so RU-AAAHHHHH” Lodestone’s squeals became a squeaky howl, as he clutched his ears trying to ease the pain he has induced on himself.

Ingot was clutching his stomach as he found himself in another round of heavy laughter. As Ingot once again composed himself he watched as Lodestone massaged the base of his ears, He had not seen a reaction this strong in any other pup; proving that Lodestone’s ears were most likely a fair bit more sensitive. As he got his breathing under control he barely caught Lodestone muttering under his breath, “note to self; don’t upset Rarity.”

“Who’s this Rarity?” Ingot asked, but when Lodestone snapped around to face him with shock on his face Ingot knew he never meant for him to hear.

“Ah… She’s no one,” Lodestone said with a little too much force. But a lecherous grin planted itself on Ingots snout as his mind put pieces together.

“Oh really now? Does little Lodestone have a crush?” Ingot watched as his pupils shrunk.

“No!” Ingot could see through the pups ruse, as if it was tissue paper.

“Now lets see, Rarity isn’t a dog name so… Oh? Does Lodestone have his eyes set on a mare?” Ingot chuckled lightly as he could see Lodestone’s pink nose slowly turn red and the color creep across his muzzle.

“No, no, no… besides it wouldn’t work out. She is a pony, and I’m not a pony. Then there is also the matter of age. The implications—“

“Oh stop, everypony knows that forbidden love is always the strongest.” The colour of his cheeks suddenly shot up another shade as his flustered expressions got the better of him. Lodestone quickly picked up the barrel piece and cloth off the floor and planted himself on the stool, back towards ingot.

“I need to get back to work!”

“Alright then, but remember: if you need any help, Iron Ingot can teach how to please a mare.” As Lodestone let out a frustrated growl Ingot turned and left towards the forge. Stopping at the door way Ingot looked over his shoulder to see the back of Lodestone, he was back to polishing the piece of equipment he held between his legs. He was rubbing with a lot more energy, as if to try and rub out the memories of their little conversation.

Iron Ingot smirked, and muttered to himself, “Poor kid has no idea what he’s gotten himself into… This is going to be so much fun.”

Author's Note:

A/N: Okay this chapter was supposed to be done a while ago, but due to procrastination and recent complications I've only manged to get it out today.

So those who have read my latest blog post would know. I have lost all contact with my previous Editor and Pre-reader Queue. So in order to keep this story moving this chapter and possibly future chapters as well will be edited by Narlepoax III.

But now I'm out a pre-reader, so to any interested in helping me in this regard please PM me.

Due to these recent events no progress has been made on next chapter, but i hope to get it done soon.

Comments ( 33 )
rex

I hope celestia and luna caught on to the part with rarity xD

Finally! (Reading)...


Edit: Wow, you made Iron Ingot one of my favorite characters, speaking of which, I like very much how you're taking your time for building the characters on your story, it's makes it very enjoyable to read.

If I where I'd just say he'd heard story's of them and their adventures. Maybe they'd buy that and technically he wouldn't be lying at all. All cartoons and anime start off on paper.

Wow Lodestone just hung himself with that slip up about Rarity.

2965874
He could write it off as a cautionary tale that spread amongst the diamond dog packs.

Sweet chapter.

2965874

I know right? With the Princesses viewing these memories, there is no doubt they'll question his knowledge of the element of generosity.
And with Celestia as she is, she'll take this as an opportunity to detain him even longer... and be harsher...

all this over the human species ability of imagination and creativity?

Loved the new chapter man, keep up the good work! :pinkiehappy:

2970358
If i can get over my massive bout of laziness, i would definitely make more progress sooner.

2968446

And he also proved to know Twilight in his Star Trek dream.

2991250

He did? How did I miss that...

Is there no way you could continue this great story?

Any chance for more?

[youtube=Kgrt7XZ-BQw]

Please good my sir, can we have more?

I hope this story will be resurrected. Sadly I do not believe in it.

Please author, prove me wrong and continue that story.

3954963 Author's last login was 20w, 6d ago. This seems to be on extended hiatus, or dead. Might be worth checking back in summer, as last blog mentioned doing schoolwork.

3996555
I'm totally aware of the fact that the author wasn't on for over 20 weeks. That's the reason I don't really believe that the story will be continued.

Still I though it wouldn't hurt, if I wrote that I would like to read more of it.

Man, I really liked this story.

I come and check more or less once every 2 weeks to see if anything changed...

Even if he's not going to complete it, I'd like to know at least that he's alright. :pinkiesad2:

fuck, this was really good... and apparently the author's dead (either in reality, or just in activity)...

Awe, it seems this book is dead. Like all the other really good fanfics I read. :fluttercry:

5809661

One year later... no change. Makes me wonder if the author really did up and die or just lost all inspiration with MLP in general?

Ah well, it was a good run while it lasted. :pinkiesad2:

7112468 The author's been offline for 131 weeks, so yeah- dead and or gone, sadly enough. *sigh*

Mannn i just read this, loved it. However seems like i have bad luck, snd it is dead story. What a shame

Having read all that’s here, to date of course, I give this story... 5 mangled bodies out of 5 mangled bodies

Pretty damned good story, Kronoxis.
I hope you continue it someday. I'd very much like to know what your Celestia's reaction is going to be when she learns that not only did Ryan know about Shining Armor (from the dream she visited), but also Twilight (I don't recall it was mentioned that Luna telling Celestia about Twilight was on the ship when she finally met Ryan), and now Rarity through Iron Ingot's memories.:trollestia:

Also, I'm betting that Celestia is dealing with more than a little bout of guilt--seeing as she's the one who exterminated the Shard Foxes while Luna was on the Moon. So, of course, Celestia has tons of suspicions about Ryan: How could a mythical creature possibly know about the species she obliterated?:twilightoops: Did Ryan (personally?) or his people see her do it?:twilightangry2: Does he intend to blackmail her over it?:facehoof:

I've gone and found myself a dead little corner of the internet, and I can't help but be a little sad. I'll add this to my favorites so I don't lose it.

9950825
You and me both I just binged it and I’m sad there isn’t more but I did love the Silent Hill nightmare sequence. I just wished that Celestia could see ‘herself’

There are no words for how good this abandoned story is.

Always the best stories fizzle out.

Easily the best story Ive listened to in months.

Monk
“Puberty was a curse for those inflicted with it, and boundless amusement for others who survived the process.” -Scarheart

Login or register to comment