• Published 13th May 2013
  • 3,482 Views, 342 Comments

A Vivid Dreamer - Kronoxis



Luna finds the dreams of something that doesnt belong in Equestria.

  • ...
13
 342
 3,482

Ch5: Nightmare 1-Opened Flood-gates

A Vivid Dreamer – NM2
Opened Flood-gates

The platform finally completed its descent leaving both Luna and Celestia in a chamber similar to the one they just left, but instead of a ramp leading outside the wall before them had a single door flanked by two green lights. Looking down Luna could clearly see that the shaft continued again till all there was left to see was darkness, looking over to her sister Luna could that her sister was also perplexed by the fact they after such a long descent they had not reached the bottom. As they disembarked from the platform they had only managed to get a few steps towards the doorway before a shiver went down Luna’s spine, her sister shuddered. Both princesses hackles began to rise, Celestia was the first to comment.

“You sense it was well don’t you?”

“Yes, the very air down here seems wrong.” Once Luna put her feelings into words she noticed it; the air, it was an extreme contrast to the air of the swamp they were in just before hand. The swamp air was hot, humid, and carried the sounds of wildlife. The air this far underground was cold, stale, and silent. So silent in fact that Luna could hear her sister breathing. The silence seemed almost supernatural; as if waiting for Luna to make the wrong sound before bringing untold horrors down upon her. Luna tried to think of something to say in order to bring comfort, “It is but a dream, we cannot be truly harmed. Although it does show the symptoms of a nightmare.”

Luna could see her sister forcibly calm her body before putting a stoic expression upon her muzzle. “I believe we should find our dreamer before he wakes.” With this said they made their way to the only door set before them. Neither of them dared to speak after that, the silence was all encompassing.

When Luna was within legs reach of the door it hissed open, splitting into three pieces which receded into the surrounding frame. The door opened to reveal a corridor that was barely wide enough to accommodate the two alicorns side by side. The corridor had lead to a cross way where two of the four doors were flanked by red lights; they didn’t respond when Luna approached, she assumed them to be locked. Leading her sister, the remaining door opened for them Luna crossed its threshold closely followed by her sister Celestia.

Entering another chamber Luna found herself on the second floor, each corner of the chamber containing a pillar. These supported a platform that circled the chamber allowing access to the doorways mirroring those on the ground floor but halfway up the wall. Luna could observe eight in total; two for each wall. Many were flanked by red lights indicating it to be locked. Catching her sister’s attention Luna directed with her horn the doorway the dreamer had taken; the doorway of the far side of the room, on the second floor. Spreading their wings they quickly covered the distance and went through the door.

The sisters trotted in silence, with only the sound of their hooves to keep them company and break the silence. Both of them were still not talking, uncertain of what wraith breaking it would cause. Occasionally they would reach a fork in the corridor, or a wide open chamber similar to the first one they encountered after their lift ride into these catacombs. Some of these chambers were empty but others would have large machines of unknown function situated in the center, all of them bearing the same odd angular designs found etched into the flooring and certain walls. Whenever they were presented with multiple paths of travel that were not barred by locked doors, Luna would call upon her magic to trace the path that dreaming creature had taken. They were gaining ground; while their target was still a ways off they were indeed getting closer.

Luna was leading her sister down a ramp, what lay in wait at the bottom was another door. This one however was different from the others as the lights on either side flickered occasionally; one was red while the other was green. But on the door itself was a strange box, the surface facing Luna held a large green button. Luna calling upon her magic once again found that the dreamer had indeed passed through this door. Luna turned to her sister, “be prepared, our dreamer has traveled this way.” Celestia took on an aggressive stance; horn aglow and wings flared. Luna tentatively reached a hoof out and pressed the button, the door immediately hissed open.

A shadowed figure nearly as tall as Luna lurched forward through the door way. Luna gasped and stumbling backwards nearly fell to her haunches, just then Celestia threw the figure into the chamber beyond with a wave of telekinetic magic. The air that washed of the sisters was horrid with the smell of black powder and the reek of iron; it was so overwhelming Luna began to taste copper on her tongue. The look of disgust was evident on Celestia’s face as her nose scrunched up, but what could be sensed under all the reek raised both their hackles and set their hair on end. It was death.

Neither Luna nor Celestia were prepared for what they saw through the doorway. They carefully entered the elongated room, several doors running along each side of the chamber and a single door on the far wall. As Luna continued into the room her hoof clinked against something; sending it skittering across the floor. Looking down Luna found that the floor was littered with tiny brass cylinders, with the occasional red plastic tube. Levitating one close to her face for inspection Luna realised that they were the source for the smell of black powder. It was upon hearing a strangled gasp Luna looked over to her sister. Celestia was standing over the figure she thrown into the room with her magic, a look of shock clear across her muzzle. Celestia was looking at a corpse.

As Luna walked over to her sister she began to notice the rest of the room. There were drying pools of blood scattered throughout the chamber, it was also splattered on the ceiling and streaks smeared across the walls. As Luna scanned the destruction a thought entered her mind, there is too much blood; there should be more than one body. That was when Luna turned her gaze to the corpse that lay before her sister. Celestia was snapped out of her stunned state when she noticed Luna moving.

Luna had occasionally walked the dreams of griffons; being omnivorous predators they would occasionally dream of hunting. Having seen them hunt both in dreams and the waking world Luna couldn’t help but be awed at their grace, stalking their prey till it was the time to strike. What Luna noted most was that when griffons went for the kill it was quick and clean. Looking at the remains that lay before her she nearly gagged; this creature was brutally mutilated. Glancing over to her sister before investigating the carcase, Celestia was scanning for threats while trying to avoid filling her vision with the signs of death. Being rulers of a nation both princesses were familiar with death, but Celestia ruling through nearly a thousand years of peace had softened her to the cruelties. Luna being banished to the moon had no such luxuries, for a thousand years all Luna had were her memories.

Looking over the corpse in closer detail Luna came to her first conclusion, based on the shape she was able to observe it was not like anything she had seen in Equestria. Other than the fact that this creature was wearing armor; its body was covered in a fabric with a green camouflage pattern with olive green plates along the straight surfaces of its limbs. She was unable to piece together any discernible features due to the massive bodily damage it had received. Its head was smashed in; all that remained was a pulpy mess of muscle, bone and a few scattering of teeth. Tracing the damage down to the creatures barrel Luna gagged once again; its chest was cleaved open from its lower abdomen to its right shoulder. Both the creature’s ribs and chest plate were pried apart exposing a surprising lack of internal organs; the remains of which were sitting above its groin as a shredded mass of browning flesh. Moving back to its shoulders Luna’s gaze traced down its forelimbs only to find that they ended abruptly, after its elbow joint all that remained of each forelimb was the shattered shards of bone, its marrow exposed, surrounded by browning muscle.

When Luna finished her observations she turned to her sister, a little shaken at being surrounded by the signs of such death and destruction. “Sister we should prepare ourselves, we will most likely run into whatever caused this in any attempts to get to the dreamer.”

Celestia’s response came after a heavy pause, “This creature’s mind frightens me, to have something so violent so close to our little ponies. It scares me Luna, I need answers.”

“And We shall have them once We are able to glean them from its mind. But in order to do that We have to find it first.” Luna’s attempt at comfort did not go unnoticed.

Celestia was about to thank Luna for the gesture when she was interrupted. A loud crash was heard from the door on the far end of the room. Luna and her sister immediately dropped into a combat stance, horns glowed as they prepared spells for whatever they would face. The crash sounded again and then for third time before the room was filled with screech of metal, the door being sheared from its frame revealing what stood on the other side.

Author's Note:

A/N: if you still haven't gotten the crossover yet, SHAME ON YOU. when coming up with ideas for this story I originally intended to use a recent nightmare as a bases for Luna's little venture. but i doubt Luna would know what to do with a human being bounced around in a mile long tumble drier while a fifty foot teddy bear spectated. so i decided to go for the nightmares i had when i was younger.
The first time i played Halo i was around 12 or 13 years old, when i got my first glimpse of the Flood i had nightmares for a week. the terrified me, and in next chapter ill be going over that aspect of the Flood scared me the most.

Q: What nightmare, if any, can you not forget?