• Published 13th May 2013
  • 3,482 Views, 342 Comments

A Vivid Dreamer - Kronoxis



Luna finds the dreams of something that doesnt belong in Equestria.

  • ...
13
 342
 3,482

Ch2: The Journey begins

A Vivid Dreamer – Ch2
The Journey begins

Looking down at the ball of light once more Luna couldn’t help but to be overcome with curiosity. She had never seen anything like this. It was, for all she could discern, a dream. But it was unlike anything either her ponies or any other thinking creature within her domain could create.

“Well there is one way to for Us to find the dreamer.” With this said Luna set about entering the dream. Her horn began to glow as she manipulated the Dreamscape with her magic. Through the use of magic a small halo formed above the ball of light and began to expand outwards. How odd, Luna thought to herself as she noted the wisp like tendrils that flowed from the ball. They seemed to wrap around the edges of the halo, and stretch out while it expanded. Once the halo was large enough to fit a pony of Luna’s stature, she dimmed her horn releasing the spell. An orange desert faded into focus within the confines of the halo.

“The Badlands? Perhaps this is the dream of a dragon entering a one hundred year slumber?” Luna was trying to rationalize why she had never seen something like this before. But it was common knowledge, to those who were interested, that such forms of sleep were dreamless lest the dreamer go insane.

Luna closed her eyes before taking the steps that would lead her across the portals threshold into the dream.

Suddenly Luna felt a wind buffeting against her side, but she could not feel the wind blowing through her fur. When she opened her eyes she found herself wearing a robe, hood and scarf. Her hood covered her mane and draped down around her horn. The scarf was wrapped around her muzzle to protect it from the sand being blown along in the wind, the scarf was then wrapped around her neck and lead out the back of her hood flowing freely in the wind. The robe covered her from her neck to half way down here tail, both tail and robe flowing in the strong wind. only her hooves were exposed. All of her new garments were a deep purple in colour. Stitched into the hood and robe along all the edges was a pattern of golden, rectangular, segmented runes. Her scarf through was still deep purple but completely blank around her face, but the section that flowed out behind her had small runes stitched in parallel along the edges, while much larger versions of the runes seemed to have a golden glow about them ran straight down the middle.

Luna was suddenly taken aback by her appearance. Whenever she would enter a pony’s dream she would appear as herself, but there were occasions where she would have to change her appearance. Those times were almost always due to the fact that the pony she was attempting to help would still believe that she was still Nightmare Moon. But this was another in a line of firsts, as she was not experienced to having changes forced upon her. All in all the clothing seemed appropriate for the local, so she would not shed them.

After overcoming the shock at her sudden appearance change, Luna began to survey her surroundings. Looking across the horizon, all she could see were dunes of sand in three or the cardinal directions, the fourth was taken up by a large steep rock face. All Luna could think about was how this looked nothing like the Badlands, the colours were off; too bright. There was also way too much sand. Looking up to the sky in an attempt to get her bearings Luna immediately fell to her haunches, her breath caught in her throat and her eyes wide.

Luna looked to the sky expecting to see her sister’s sun, and to realign herself with the cardinal directions. What Luna saw instead stole her breath and left her mind frantic. There in the sky rose not one but two suns, the first being nearly twice the size of Celestia’s while the second was easily a faction of that. The two suns drifting through the sky reminded Luna of a mare dragging her foal through the park. Luna’s mind snapped back to normalcy with a revelation.

“This creature is having a nightmare; they believe the suns with scorch Equestria to dust. We must find them and set their mind at ease.” With this said Luna went to her next task; to find the dreamer. Her horn began to glow as Luna sent out her magic to detect the boundaries of the dream, only to blink in response. “How is this possible?” Luna couldn’t find the any bounds to the dream she was inhabiting, not even the rock face behind her seemed to have- there, she found it. But she didn’t at the same time, Luna had found the bounds to this dream but every time she would she would reach for it, it would pull away. But when Luna would pull her magic back the bounds would follow just out of reach of her magic. The more Luna learned about this dream the more questions it raised. This was just another oddity Luna had never experienced before, the dreams of ponies were normally small, generally they would encompassed a house or even a large forest clearing. But here was a dream that, for all Luna could tell, was as big as the Badlands themselves and could just keep going if pushed. The questions just kept piling within her head, she would only get her answers if she found the one that was dreaming. Calling upon her magic once more, Luna sensed for the dreamer themselves. Once she had the direction Luna rose and began to trot, cresting the first dune.

***

Luna had been trotting for a while now, she wasn’t tired at all; this was a dream. But the silence was getting to her, all she could hear was the wind. The land felt… dead. This was not helped at all by the fact that on top of every odd dune there were a set of tall stone tablets, similar to a tombstone, etched with a single rune in the center. When she would approach one and lay a hoof on the rune it would glow white, along with the corresponding rune on with her robe or scarf. These sadden Luna to the point where she tried to ignore them.

For a while longer Luna just kept trotting towards her target. She continued to ignore the stone tablets and the occasional stone pillars that she would come across. In the silence Luna was trying to keep questions like “Where is this place?” and “What happened here?” from overwhelming herself. She once again sensed for her target only to find that she had not closed the distance as much as she would like; her target was moving in the same direction as she was. Just then the wind died down, leaving Luna to her thoughts.

Just as the silence became unbearable, Luna decided that she had to find this dreamer NOW! Lest she drive herself mad with questions. And with that Luna spread her wings causing her robe to bundle about her back. With a powerful pump Luna rocketed into the sky leaving behind a ring of sand to dance about the spot she was standing just prior.

***

Luna was soaring high above the sand, what she was seeing nearly made her regret taking flight. The stone pillars that Luna observed before began to take shape. Pillars became bridges, bridges became roads, roads lead to buildings these buildings formed cities. All of which were destroyed, worn and swallowed by sand, these were ruins. It looked to Luna as an entire civilization was just left for the sands to swallow.

“What happened to this creature and where would it have come from in order to have dreams such as these?” Luna asked herself. More questions were piling up onto the ones she already had in mind, question she would ask the dreamer when she had found them.

That’s when Luna spotted it. A depression in the desert nearly as big as the Evergreen forest, with the sand from around the hole pouring into it as if they were waterfalls. As Luna drew closer she could see a tower rising above the edge. This tower was part of a massive structure that sat in middle of the hole, surrounded by building of a smaller nature.

“The capital?” was all Luna could say before something caught her eye, near the edge walking towards a broken bridge that was jutting out a few meters above the hole.

There starting it walk across the broken bridge was a figure robed in a snow white robe, with crimson runes running along the hems and scarf. Luna began her decent towards the only living thing she had seen since she had entered this dream, the dreamer. Luna landed at the foot of the outstretched bridge just as the robed figure reached the edge, the runes of it robe began to glow a bright red as it jumped.

Calling on her magic again Luna brought forth the Royal Canterlot Voice. “WAIT!” but it was too late the figure had already jumped, and continued to float up, higher and higher. Luna was perplexed but what she saw, the creature had no wings. Could it be self-levitating, Luna questioned as it turned around. As soon as, what Luna considered its eyes, meet hers the glow from the runes stopped. And the creature fell.

NO!” Luna yelled in the Royal Voice, while simultaneously leaping into the air to chase it. All Luna could think of was that if the creature fell it would wake up before it hit bottom. Luna couldn’t let this happen she still had too many unanswered questions. As soon as she flew over the edge she saw the robed creature diving, not falling, not flailing and not screaming as it descended. But head down limbs tucked, as it flew towards a cave entrance. Luna entered a dive and gave chase.

Luna had lost sight of the white robe when she passed the threshold of the cavern entrance. The dream hadn’t ended or become unstable so she could only assume that the creature’s actions were intentional. Taking in her new surroundings Luna was once again taken aback by the contrast. Where above everything nearly glowed orange and was constantly being blown about in the wind. Underground everything was aglow from the blue light that radiated from the ceiling, although the light never seemed to go far enough leaving everything that was not directly underneath the source shrouded in darkness. The air itself was also different, above ground there was the wind and a heat that was just bearable. But underground the air was silent, cold and still. Luna shivered.

The cavern was similar to that of the great halls in Canterlot castle. Larger ornate pillars and arched ceilings, but taken to a scale where two of Canterlot’s tallest towers could be stacked and still have room to spare. You could also fit a cargo train end to end across the width of cavern, and the sand had claimed this as well with dunes reaching almost halfway up some of the pillars. Luna continued to observe until she spotted the robed creature trudging along in the sand as it entered a fallen pillar that had been hollowed out.

Luna flew over and landed at the same entrance the creature used and entered. Only to find the makeshift tunnel was unoccupied. Luna continued along the tunnel until she exited the other side, and found herself on the crest of a dune looking into a valley with a large piece of ceiling arch lying in the middle. But what caught Luna’s eye was the white robe that sat crouched behind the rock. There was the creature Luna sought, if only she could get it to stay still so she may question it. The head of the creature turned around and stopped once its eyes made contact with Luna’s. its robe began to shift as a slender limb ending in a set of blunted ‘claws’ were brought to its face. its claws where balled into a fist except for one which it brought up to its scarf wrapped face, similar to how a pony would cover their muzzle with a hoof. Luna saw the creature recognise her, and took the opportunity to address it.

WE BEG THEE, STAY STILL! WE WISH TO QUESTION THEE.” Luna was unsure if her normal voice would carry down to the creature. As her declaration echoed through the grand hall they were situated in, the creature below gave her a wide eyed expression before its focus was snapped skyward. Luna was pondering how she managed to startle the creature when it looked straight into her eyes. Her thoughts didn’t get too far when they were interrupted by a loud bellow, which seemed to be a cross between a train whistle and a foghorn. When Luna’s world seemed to start glowing a bright red she followed the creatures gaze skyward.

There above Luna staring down at her was the singular red glowing eye that constituted the face of a giant segmented stone serpent. When the eye suddenly turned green and lunged Luna called on the quickest spell she could recall, and teleported. When the world had come back into focus Luna noted she was at least a hundred meters in the air. Looking down she could not spot the creature anymore, but when the cloud of debris settled Luna could see the construct attempting to pull its head free from the dune. Luna was about to ponder what kind of menace that was when her thoughts were again interrupted by another train whistle, foghorn wail. Spinning around Luna found her world filled with green light, as another stone serpent flew towards her.

Luna’s eyes flung open as she gasped for air then proceeded to jump to her hooves only to trip over her hind legs; she landed on her back when her vision was greeted with a concerned looking Celestia. While on her back Luna tilted her head so she could peer through the railings of her balcony, her sister’s sun was peeking just above the horizon.

“Lulu what happened? You were dream walking all night and when I found you in such a state I could not wake you.” Celestia’s voice was full of concern for her sister’s well being.

“We had been observing the most peculiar of dreams.”

Author's Note:

A/N: If you've stuck around this far, then let it be known dialogue shall be picking up dramatically and more characters are added.

Dreams can bother be wonderful and terrifying.