• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 21,601 Views, 3,440 Comments

The Thousand Year Change - Darthvalgaav



After seeing what happened when she accidently changed her friends destinies, Twilight is curious about about the 'what if'. Like, for example, what if Luna had ponies a thousand years ago who noticed her.

  • ...
125
 3,440
 21,601

PreviousChapters Next
Preparing for the Worst

The halls where the Lunar Senate met were jam packed with various ponies. All thirteen senators sat in their seats with Princess Luna sitting in the middle. On one side of the room were members of the Royal Guard, lining the wall with their weapons in hoof. On the other side were members of the LBI, all of them dressed in black suits while wearing black shades. Shining Armor was there standing off to the side, ready to cast a wide range of protection spells on the Senate in case something happened. Shadow Blade was there as well, standing in front of Princess Luna with his eyes on the prisoners.

Standing in front of the Senate were the five mares from Equestria. Rarity, who was wearing one of her finest blue gowns with emeralds sewed in, stood with poise and dignity despite sporting a magic suppression ring around her horn. Both Rainbow and Fluttershy had their wings bound by a strange band that seemed to glow a pale blue color. All of them had their hooves bound to the floor by what looked like iron shackles.

Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Spike were there as well. The three of them were standing off to the side of the Equestrian mares looking untouched.

In the air was a black sphere, a recording device that was capturing every moment onto film. It orbited around the room, stopping from time to time on a random pony from the Senate or one of the prisoners.

“My little ponies,” said Luna as she addressed the room. As she spoke, the black sphere zoomed towards her and stopped a few feet to her side where it then simply hovered. “Earlier today, Assistant Director Twilight Sparkle was found by her fiancé, Captain Shadow Blade, in a near death state. An investigation was called and, standing before you, is one of the possible assailants as well as her associates. They all now stand before the judgment of the Lunar Senate. If found guilty they shall receive a punishment fitting their crime.”

“Now hold on one darn sec!” yelled Applejack causing all ponies in the room, as well as the black sphere, to look at her. “If this here is some kind of fancy trial, then don’t we get a lawyer or something?”

“The last pony who defended you is the reason you’re here facing a murder charge on top of everything else you terrorists have done!” snapped Gigawatt as he slammed his hoof against the table he and the other Senators muttered in agreement.

“Senator Gigawatt, please calm yourself,” said Luna before her icy gaze became fixed on Applejack. “The last pony who willing came forward to defend your group now lies in the hospital wing in critical condition. I doubt that there would be a lawyer in the entire Republic who would want to defend you. But do not fear. We have a method of determining the truth that has never failed us. Should we discover that the LBI has made a mistake you shall be released.”

Luna then nodded at Scorpio who stood up.

“The Senate calls for Director Sealed Document,” said the Senator from Dome One. When his name was called, one of the black suited ponies walked towards the middle of the room and stopped once he was standing right in-between the Equestrians and the Senators. He was an elder pinto earth pony with a folder for a cutie mark. He also had a black mustache which he kept perfectly trimmed. By the time he had stopped, the black sphere was now in-between Sealed and Scorpio.

“Sealed Document,” said Scorpio after he cleared his throat. “The LBI presented evidence that one of the mares from Equestria is responsible for what happened to Assistant Director Twilight Sparkle. We ask that you present this evidence.”

“Certainly,” replied the stallion. Instantly the room went dark earning a gasp from various members of the Equestria group. Then, a light appeared in the middle of the room from four square shaped images that seemed to hover in mid-air all by themselves. Each one of these squares was pointed towards a different corner on the room while showing the same thing, allowing everypony in the room to see what was going on.

After a moment, an image appeared in the boxes. It looked like a random hallway with nopony in it. Then, Applejack appeared to be walking in it just as Twilight and Gigawatt came out of the room yelling at each other.

“The castle security system recorded these events,” said Sealed as he muted the footage so that everypony could hear him. “While I and a few other agents were interviewing Senators Land Share, Gigawatt, and April Showers, I had a few ponies going over the security to see if anything was abnormal.”

“What did they find?” asked Scorpio as the footage showed Twilight and Applejack entering Twilight’s room.

“Everything was in perfect working order,” said Sealed Document with a sigh. “The computer logs showed that the teleportation redirection field was never deactivated so nopony could teleport into Twilight’s room. Thus we were forced to look at this footage with a filter that would try and spot distortions and body temperatures to see anypony was using an invisibility spell or cloaking device. We spotted none.” By this point, the footage showed Applejack leaving Twilight’s room.

“Thus, what you are about to see speaks for itself,” said Sealed Document as he began to fast forward the images. For a minute or two, nothing was shown besides an empty hallway. Then it stopped as Applejack once again began to walk down towards Twilight’s room.

Shadow pressed his ears against his head as he watched Applejack knock on the door. A moment later the door opened and Applejack walked in. Shadow scanned the image and saw that there was a time stamp at the bottom. According to this, Applejack met up with Twilight a second time a half hour before he heard Land Share scream. A few minutes later, Applejack left the room.

Shadow Blade tilted his head as the footage began to fast forward once more. Something didn’t seem right. What it was he couldn’t put his hoof on, but he felt like he had missed something. He glanced over at Applejack and saw that her eyes were wide with shock. Normally, he would assume that they thought they were smart enough to get away with the crime or something like that. However, mixed with the shocked expression was something else. Confusion?

The footage slowed down once again to show Land Share now walking towards Twilight’s room. Everypony in the room watched Land Share knocked again before opening the door. He then let out a scream and backed up against the wall.

“As you can see,” said Sealed Document as the image vanished and light returned to the room, “The only pony to enter Twilight’s room that night was the name known as Applejack. No other pony could have done so.”

“That’s a lie!” yelled Applejack. “Ah’d never hurt a friend.”

“Silence!” roared Princess Luna. “One more outburst like that and you shall be silenced until you are questioned. Is that clear?”

“But she didn’t do it!” yelled Rainbow Dash. “She couldn’t have. She was with us all night! I don’t know what we just saw but-” That’s as far as Rainbow Dash got as a red light washed over her and the other mares. Rainbow continued to talk, but no words left her mouth.

“Better,” said Luna with a nod. She then looked at Sealed Document with a slight frown. “Are you sure this footage hasn’t been tampered with?”

“It hasn’t,” said Sealed Document. “I verified it myself.”

Luna looked at him for a moment longer before nodding. “Are there any more questions for Director Sealed Document?”

“None from me,” said Scorpio. The other Senators responded similarly.

“Very well then,” said Princess Luna as she looked at Sealed Document. “You may step down.” Once he had done so, Luna addressed everypony in the room. “We will now allow the defendant Applejack to tell her side of the story underneath the truth light.”

“Just a moment Princess,” said Gigawatt as gained the attention of the entire room. “I would request that we start with the two who should have been under the truth light yesterday. I wish them to be questioned so that we will be able to see how deep Equestria’s treachery goes.”

“I agree,” said Land Share as heads turned to look at him now. “While I do hope that what happened yesterday was not intentional, I would still like to hear it from them.”

“This is unusual,” said Luna as she place a hoof on her chin. She debated over the issue for a moment or two before nodding. “Very well, we shall hear from Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie first. However, I wish to keep it brief.”

“As you wish,” said Gigawatt.

From his spot, Shadow watched as the light on Fluttershy shifted from red to neutral. As it did, Shadow thought he heard a very soft thud overhead. The stallion quickly looked around to see if anypony else had heard it as well. From the looks of it none of the other guards had reacted at all nor had any of the LBI. In fact, the only pony who did seem to hear it was Gigawatt who was glaring at the ceiling.

“Senator,” said Princess Luna. “The truth light is on. You may begin your questioning.”

This caused Gigawatt’s attention to snap towards Fluttershy. “Could you state your name for the court?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

“F-Fluttershy,” she said.

“Good,” said Gigawatt with a slight nod. “Now, according to file submitted my Twilight Sparkle, you are in charge of the trees in Ponyville. Is that correct?”

As he said this, a few Senators turned and gave Gigawatt an odd look. Even Shadow, who kept his gaze of Fluttershy, wondered why he asked that question. Hadn’t he read the file? ‘Maybe he is worried about that noise from earlier and wants to make sure the truth light is working right,’ thought Shadow.

“Ah, no,” said Fluttershy as she shook her head. “I’m in charge of taking care of all the animals in Ponyville, not the trees. But I’d like to be a tree.”

A wave of not-quite humor rippled through the crowd, and even Gigawatt scrunched his eyebrows in confoundment at the yellow pegasus’ answer.

‘Well that was an odd response,’ thought Shadow. ‘But at least we all know that the truth light is working.’

“You are the one who brought a parasprite into the Republic, is that correct?” asked Gigawatt.

“Yes,” she said with a nod. “It had been given to be right before I arrived.”

“Interesting,” replied Gigawatt as a small smile appeared on his face. “By whom?”

“Prince Blueblood,” said Fluttershy. As soon as she said that, nearly everypony in the room began to talk at once. The Equestrian mares looked at each other in shock except for Rarity whose eyes narrowed. Silently she vowed to make the Prince pay for using one of her friends like this.

“Did you willingly release the parasprite, knowing what it would do?” yelled Gigawatt, his voice cutting through the rest of the crowd. The room then went quiet so all could hear Fluttershy’s answer.

“Yes,” she said as a shocked look appeared on her face. “I did it in the name of Celestia and for the good of Equestria.”

Angry voices filled the room while Shadow stared in disbelief at the mare. She looked horrified by what she had said and seemed to be on the verge of tears. He had seen similar looks before from other ponies who had confused under a truth light believing that they could get away with their crime. Yet while he had felt no pity for them, for some strange reason it wasn’t the case with Fluttershy. He simply couldn’t believe that she could have done such a terrible thing. Even the spectrum-maned pegasus was agape with a look of complete shock and utter confusion at her friend.

But, at the same time, a part of him was saying that it had to be true. Nopony before had been able to keep a secret or tell a lie while standing underneath a truth light. Gigawatt had even done a warm up question to make sure that the light was working. What she was saying had to be the truth no matter what he personally felt.

Meanwhile, the light on Fluttershy turned red as the tears began to run down her face. As it did, the truth light above Pinkie Pie activated. Gigawatt opened his mouth to ask his questions but was cut off by April Showers.

“I’m going to cut to the chase,” snarled the Senator as she glared at Pinkie Pie with obvious hatred. “Did you purposely dump our water into the vacuum of space?”

“Yes,” said Pinkie Pie. As soon as she said that, she began to shake her head ‘no’ while she continued to talk. “I did it in the name of Celestia and for the good of Equestria.”

Once again, all ponies in the room began to talk. Most were yelling angrily at the pink mare while a few others seemed to whisper darkly to each other. Shadow, for his part, felt his jaw drop slightly due to shock. He couldn’t believe it! He quickly glanced around to the room to see if anypony else was as shocked and confused as he felt. Most just looked angry.

Gigawatt, he noticed, had a looked of triumph on his face. ‘Not surprising,’ thought the bat pony. ‘He said we couldn’t trust Equestrians and now it looks like he’s been proven correct.’

It was then that Shadow noticed the Senator from Dome Three. Land Share seemed to look saddened before he turned his head to look away. ‘Poor guy,’ thought Shadow. ‘He was always the one to give Equestria a chance. It must feel like a buck to the gut to hear this.’

It was then that Shadow noticed something out of the corner of his eye that made him cringe. Princess Luna as raising her right front leg. The captain of the guard quickly brought up his forelegs to cover his ears just in as Luna stomped on the ground creating a noise like thunder. Everypony in the room suddenly went silent as she looked at the crowd for a moment.

“I believe we are done with Miss Pie,” she said slowly as her chilling gave fixed on Pinkie Pie. “Call up Miss Applejack so we may finish this.”

“Y-Yes,” said Gigawatt as Pinkie Pie was enveloped in red light.

A half second later Applejack found herself under the truth light. She could feel herself becoming lightheaded, but did her best to fight it and stay focused.

“Please state your name and profession,” said Gigawatt.

“Mah name is Applejack an ah’m farmer from Sweet Apple Acres,” replied Applejack automatically.

“Now, let’s get right to the point,” said Gigawatt. “Earlier in the trial you witnessed the footage submitted by the LBI. Did you visit Twilight Sparkle a second time that night?”

“Y-” began Applejack, but then she stopped. Sweat began to pour out of her body and she shut her eyes tightly. After a few moments and with a look of strain Applejack blurted out, “Y-Yes.”

“When you went to see her that second time, did you attack her?” demanded Gigawatt as he ignored Applejack’s reaction.

“Ynn…Ynnghh-YES!” screamed Applejack as she fell to the floor, tears rolling down her face as she clutched her head. “I went there with the apple peeler hidden under my hat and I stabbed her!”

“Why?” demanded Gigawatt.

“Princess Celestia ordered her death for ruining the merger back in Ponyville!” cried out Applejack so that all could hear her though her face was still twisted in agony. “I did it the name of Celestia and for the good of Equestria!”

As the chamber erupted in angry shouting and hoof-stomping, Applejack then opened her eyes and for a moment they locked onto Shadow’s. It lasted only seconds, but in that time Shadow felt a deep unease. Her eyes seemed to beg to him. Telling him that what she said wasn’t the truth. And then Applejack’s eyes rolled to the back of her head as she collapsed onto the floor convulsing.

“Turn it off!” yelled Shadow as he approached the twitching mare to check her vitals.

“Do it,” said Land Share, looking sickly green at the mare lying on the floor in her own sweat and spittle, as the light changed to red. “We…we have what we need.”

“Yes,” said Gigawatt, ignoring the fallen mare, as he turned to Princess Luna. “Princess, you have heard their testimonies while under the effect of a truth light. They have admitted to not only assault and attempted murder but acts of terrorism as well. I beg you to call for the death vote!”

Princess Luna closed her eyes. “You are correct,” she said. “We have heard them admit their guilt. And based on the evidence, I know what I must do.” Slowly, Luna opened her eyes. “All those in favor of the death penalty please raise your hoof.”

The Equestrians watched in horror as hooves began to raise. The first was Gigawatt’s which shot into the air with lightning speed. One by one their hooves raised until Land Share remained. He looked around and then he to raised his hoof. When he did, Princess Luna nodded.

“Very well,” she said. “The vote is unanimous. The five of you shall be put to death which will be set at a later date. The method of death shall depend on whether or not Twilight Sparkle lives. Should she pull through, you shall be granted a quick death via vacuum of space once Twilight is awake so that she may witness it herself. However, should she die, the five of you shall be placed in prison pods and then ejected towards the sun. It will be a long, painful, and maddening death as the prison pod keep you alive for years as you fly towards the sun.”

The mares looked horrified by this declaration. However, their fear was ignored by most of the ponies in the room. Many of they cheered and stomped their hooves in agreement with their sentence.

“Princess Luna,” called out Senator Scorpio, cutting through the celebration. “What of the others?”

“What others?” asked the princess as the room began to quiet down.

“I am talking about the fillies and the dragon,” replied Scorpio. “We know that they snuck into the Republic. We cannot rule out they were also sent here to assist their older counterparts. We also know that Celestia sent us a dragon which Assistant Director Twilight Sparkle wisely shot with a DNA nanobullet to neutralize its potentially catastrophic threat. For now it is a pony, but there is a chance that it will return to its draconic state and go on a rampage. I believe that in the interest of national security that they should share the same fate as those five.”

For a moment, nopony spoke. A few ponies around the room looked like they were considering it which shocked Shadow. He looked over at Shining to see that he had a look of disgust on his face.

Meanwhile, Applejack opened her eyes to look at her sister and her friends as she laid there on the floor. All three of them looked both shocked and confused by what was going on. ‘No,’ thought Applejack as she tried to move her body. ‘They won’t hurt mah little sis.’ Sadly, her body refused to move due to the pain and disorientation she was experiencing.

“Perhaps it might be for the best,” said one of the other senators.

“That, of course, includes the Equestrian filly Scootaloo,” continued Scorpio. “For all we know she was an advance scout of some kind.”

“That is outrageous!” yelled Shadow as he turned around fully to look at them all.

“Is it?” yelled Scorpio as he pointed a hoof at the captain. “Not only did the Equestrian slip past all of the Republic’s security, but it also managed to ingratiate herself with two of the highest security-cleared ponies within the Republic! Not only that but she has been graced with our technology which now resides with her body, nicely tucked away so that when she returns to Equestria they will be able to study it and reverse engineer it. Now you will be silent! This is a matter for the senate to decide.”

“No, I will not,” said Shadow as he stretched out his wings. “Twilight brought Scootaloo to the Republic to help her fly in the heat of the moment. She never had any idea where we were from so your theory already has a huge hole in it. And, if she was some kind of scout, then how was she supposed to contact Equestria? Heck, how was she supposed to return?”

“Well…” began Scorpio, floundering.

“I agree with Captain Shadow Blade,” interupted Luna. “Since Scootaloo came to the Republic she has done nothing to warrant something this serious. Nor have the other two fillies. As long as I am your princess, we will not execute ponies on mere suspicion. Is that clear?”

“Yes Princess,” replied Scorpio. “But all the same, something should be done. Perhaps, in order to have Scootaloo better adapt to the Republic, we should have her sentenced to the Living Death. Perhaps we could do the same to the other two fillies so that they can become members of the Republic.”

“She’s a filly!” roared Shadow as he flattened his ears. “You can’t do that to her!”

“And we won’t,” said Luna as she glared at Scorpio. “Scootaloo has, from what I have heard, been adjusting to life in the Republic just fine. She has shown great courage during the Sunset Shimmer incident. And I am sure that Twilight would be furious with us if we tampered with her daughters mind.”

“And what about the other fillies from Equestria?” asked April Showers. “We could make them members of the Republic and they would never know about their time in Equestria.”

“That is unacceptable,” said Gigawatt as he stomped his hoof. “Using the Living Death on fillies is simply wrong.” He then looked up at Princess Luna. “Princess, please consider this. Allow me to take in Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. I am sure that my wife would be fine with it.”

Luna nodded. “If that is true then I have no problem. At a later date we shall decide if they should remain or be sent back to their families after our dealing with Equestria are over.”

“And the dragon?” asked Scorpio. “It still poses a danger to the Republic.”

Luna tapped her chin a few times before answering. “We shall send him to Director Bunsen Burner. Perhaps he can make the change permanent. If that proves to be impossible, then he can study the dragon in order to improve on our anti-dragon defenses. Once that is over he shall share the same fate as the other mares. Court is adjourned.”

-x-

About an hour later, Shadow found himself standing next to Twilight’s bed. She was lying there with her eyes closed while wearing a breathing mask. There was also an IV drip sending a green liquid into her body. In the background he could hear the steady beeping of a heart monitor.

“Hang in there Twilight,” said Shadow as he moved some strands of her mane away from her face. The doctors had told him that Twilight was almost out of the danger zone, that they were confident that she would wake up within a day or two and then she would be fine.

If only he could stay here so that he would be the first pony she saw when she woke up. Right now he was lucky to be here at all. After the trail, Princess Luna had called a closed session of the Senate to discuss how they would proceed now armed with this new information. Right before the meeting began there had been a call from the doctors saying that Twilight had just come out of surgery. While Princess Luna couldn’t leave due to the meeting, she did allow Shadow to go see her for a short amount of time.

“I have to go now Twilight,” said Shadow as he gently kissed her cheek. “I’ll come back as soon as I can.”

He lingered for another moment before he forced himself to leave his beloved’s side. It took him several minutes until he found himself in front of the doors that lead to the throne room. He opened them to find only two ponies in the room: Princess Luna and Land Share.

“There is no need to apologize Princess,” Land Share was saying. “I was a suspect at the time.”

“It was hard to see you as such,” said Luna as she lowered her head slightly. “Believe me, I would have never of-” Luna then turned her head towards Shadow’s direction. “Ah, Shadow. Excellent timing. How is Twilight?”

“It looks like she’ll make it,” replied the bat pony as he walked into the room.

Land Share let out a sigh. “That’s good to hear,” he said. “Now, if you don’t mind Princess, I’d like to pay her a visit myself.”

Luna gifted him a gentle smile. “Of course you may.”

“Thank you,” said Land Share as he made his way to the door. “Poor mare. S-She didn’t deserve what happened to her. If only it had never come to this.” And with that he left the room just as Shining Armor entered the room.

“Well, looks like we’re all here,” began Shadow who was still somewhat unsure about what he had observed during the trial. He knew there was something off, but he just couldn’t put his hoof on it. Still, he thought it best just to at least mention it and see if the others noticed something was off as well. “Princess, there is something I need to talk to you about.”

“It’s about the trial,” said Luna with a smile. “I thought you would notice something was wrong. I would have been very disappointed had you not.”

“You noticed it too?” asked Shadow.

“Yes, that odd phrase they all used,” replied Luna. “I find it very odd that they all said ‘I did it in the name of Celestia and for the good of Equestria’.”

Shadow brought a hoof to his chin as he thought back to the trial. It was true, they had all said the same thing. Funny he hadn’t noticed it until Luna had brought it up.

“But what does that mean?” asked Shining Armor.

“I believe that it is meant to make us believe that my sister ordered those mares to attack Twilight or cause trouble for the Republic,” said Luna as she slipped out of her formal regalia and into another set with micro-circuitry extensively lining the interior.

“Yet,” continued Luna as she locked the regalia pieces together, as they glowed and hummed briefly with the connected lines of energy that then faded, “the more I take a step back and look at this situation, the more it seems that somepony else planned all of this. Remember what Fluttershy said, that Blueblood gave her the parasprite? It is my belief that he was the one giving them orders and telling them that Celestia had approved it. That, or he used a spell on them. We’ll know more once Twilight wakes up.”

“Is that why you postponed their executions?” asked Shadow who was slightly awed by his Princess’ thinking.

Luna nodded. “When Twilight wakes up, she will be able to inform us of everything that happened in that room. If Applejack looked hesitant or seemed in a trance or anything out of the ordinary. If something odd was going on we can hold a retrial and then lessen their sentence.”

“So what do we do in the meantime?” asked Shining Armor.

“We are going to Equestria,” said Luna as her face hardened slightly. “The three of us, along with several others from both guards, are going to have a talk with Celestia. I discussed the situation with the Senate in a close session after the trial and, while they aren’t thrilled about it, they realize we are in desperate need of food and water. And while I’m sure they would all love to see those mares ejected into the vacuum of space, it would do us little good if we starve shorty afterwords. So, we are willing to consider letting them return to Equestria in return for the food, water, and Blueblood.”

“Consider?” echoed Shining Armor.

“It depends on what we find out from him as well,” replied Luna. “While I find it extremely unlikely, I cannot discount the off-chance possibility that Celestia may have indeed planned this.”

“And if she refuses our demands?” asked Shadow.

Luna sighed. “We will have a backup plan,” replied Luna. “Of which I have orders for the both of you.” The two captains straightened into attention.

"Shadow," Luna nodded to the bat pony, "you are to have Sealed Document report to me immediately. He is to bring all the security camera footage we have from our Embassy in Canterlot, both interior and exterior of the facility."

"Shining," continued Luna, turning to the white unicorn, "you are to inform Captain Starway report to me as well. She is also to prepare the Crescent Hope for departure to the planet before reporting to me for her own mission details."

"Finally," said the alicorn as she took a step back, "you both are to personally select your best ponies to form an Honor Guard to provide escort for our mission to Equestria. Be sure they are fully prepared for anything we may face in Canterlot."

Luna's face wore a frown, "Our relations with Equestria are at an end," she said grimly, "and if my suspicions are on track, there may not be a diplomatic solution to end things cleanly between our nations. Even from my sister..."

Author's Note:

Once again, hope you all like it. Not much to say right now.

PreviousChapters Next