• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 21,602 Views, 3,440 Comments

The Thousand Year Change - Darthvalgaav



After seeing what happened when she accidently changed her friends destinies, Twilight is curious about about the 'what if'. Like, for example, what if Luna had ponies a thousand years ago who noticed her.

  • ...
125
 3,440
 21,602

PreviousChapters Next
To the Republic!

To say that the griffons were a brutal race would be untrue. Far from it, but it was understandable why so many of the races thought that. They were a warrior race, much like the pegasi were a thousand years ago. Their eyes were sharp during the day, able to see a fly bussing by from a block away. Their powerful claws have been known to rip a timberwolf to pieces with a single swipe. The land they inhabited, the Drakecrest Mountain Range, was an unforgiving piece of land where only the strong could survive.

Yet, griffon culture was very different from what many thought it was. Any griffon that had any sense of pride valued honor above all else. It was the corner stone of their very culture. An honorable griffon served his family, his community, and, above all else, his emperor. Those who thought only of themselves, or caused too much trouble for their neighbors, were shunned, eventually leaving the Drakecrest Mountains.

A griffon would wake up and start his or her day with a prayer to the family’s ancestors. Once that was done, the family would eat breakfast before going to work. A majority of griffons were peasants. Some worked in the rice fields, while other hunted for whatever game they could find. Then, there were those that built homes, traded, and so on.

The most well regarded profession in the griffon culture was the blacksmith. Griffon steel was the envy of all the races. Their sword and armor making skills were a well-kept secret. In any of the towns, a blacksmith held the same amount of respect as a noble. Those who had reached the highest level were then offered a place in the capital, where their work would be used for the good of the empire.

The capital of the griffon empire was known as known as the Talon Palace. It was built into a mountain that had once been an active volcano. Now the griffons used the heat and lava to not only to help some of the finest blacksmiths in the land, but also to save on coal during the winter months. After all, heating a place this large without magic was not cheap.

In his room was Emperor Eagle Eye, who sat in front of a table as he sipped his morning tea. He was a large, brown griffon with teal eyes, wearing silk robes that had a summer pattern on them. On the table in front of his was a 3D replica of his kingdom. This diorama had been made with the greatest of care and dated back to the time of his great grandfather. In that time, nothing had been added to it, except for three red X’s, which were giving Eagle Eye no small amount of grief.

As he was about to take another sip of tea, the emperor felt a tug on his robes. Turing his head around, he saw a sight that made him smile. On the floor was a four year old female griffon with golden feathers.

“Papa, papa,” she cried out happily, while bouncing up and down. “Play with me?”

The emperor’s smile fell. “I’m sorry, Goldie,” he said, causing his daughter to become still. “But, there is a really, really big mess that papa has to take care of.”

“W-What is it, papa?” asked Goldie.

“The tickle monster!” cried Eagle Eye as his smile quickly return. Goldie cried out in surprise as her father grabbed her and began to tickle her without any mercy. The young griffon struggled to get out of her father’s grasp, but he was too strong.

“Emperor,” came a loud voice above the laughter and giggling. Eagle Eye looked towards the door to see Tundra, his most trusted adviser, bowing to him at the doorway. He was a snow white griffon who wore red silk robes. Letting out a sigh, Eagle Eye released his daughter who looked both relieved and disappointed that their play time was interrupted.

“Rise, my friend,” said the emperor as he himself stood. “Please tell me that you do not come bearing bad news.”

“I am sorry, but I can’t do as you say,” replied Tundra as he pulled out two scrolls from his robes. “These came from Equestria. They require your most urgent attention.”

A groan escaped Eagle Eyes as he took both scrolls. He slowly opened the first one and began to read it silently. The scroll informed him of the death of the Captain of the Royal Guard, and that a griffon feather had been at the scene of the crime. It continued on with news that his embassy in Equestria was, at this very moment, surrounded by Celestia’s guard. The only good news was that they hadn’t invaded it yet.

As he finished reading, Eagle Eye felt mixed emotions. The first was anger at the idea that he would order something like that. True, ponies and griffons had been at odds for a very long time. But, just because a griffon killed a high ranking member of the Equestrian military, didn’t mean that it was under his orders.

Yet, there was also understanding. Celestia was doing her best to take care of her subjects, and had to be ready for the worst. She had to play things safe.

Once he was done with the first scroll, Eagle Eye began to read the second. Apparently Celestia wanted to meet with him later today in order to talk. The talks were to happen in a neutral country called the Lunar Republic.

“I take it you have read these already,” said Eagle Eye, setting down the scroll. It wasn’t the first time Tundra had done so. He usually read documents before the emperor, so that he had time to digest the information in order to better advise his ruler. Normally, reading such documents without the emperor’s approval would have been a serious offence. Eagle Eye, however, trusted Tundra with not only his life, but also that of his daughter.

“Yes,” said Tundra with a nod. “I do not recommend this. They accuse you of plotting, and then want you to go to a neutral location. I smell a trap.”

“Have you ever heard of this ‘Lunar Republic’?” asked Eagle Eye.

“No, my Emperor,” replied Tundra. “And we only have their word that they are neutral in all of this. The decision is easy.”

“Sadly, there is never an easy decision for any ruler,” replied Eagle Eye with a sigh. “If I agree to their terms, I run the risk of being captured in a foreign land. If I don’t, then it will make me look guilty, and might end in war.” Eagle Eye glanced at the diorama. “And, war is something that we cannot afford to have at this moment.”

“But-” began Tundra, however Eagle Eye held up a claw to silence him.

“I will agree to go, but not alone,” said the Emperor. “I will only go if I am allowed to take thirteen of my own warriors. They will consist of the fastest flyers we have. Now, while I’m away, I want you to prepare the army, in case something happens.”

Tundra opened his beak to say something, but Eagle Eye was no longer looking at him. Instead, he was looking at his daughter. The white griffon knew what his friend was thinking. He would go in the hopes of preventing a war. If this was a trap, or something went wrong, his soldiers would be forced to abandon him in order to war the empire.

“I will have everything ready for you,” said Tundra with a bow.

“Thank you,” said Eagle Eye as his friend walked out and closed the door behind him. Once he had, the emperor looked down upon his daughter with a smile. “Now then, how about we spend the next couple of hours playing? Just you and me.”

Goldie let out a cheer, happy to have her papa all to herself.

-x-

“Seriously, what is taking her so long?” asked Rainbow Dash aloud.

“Calm down, Rainbow,” said Applejack as she helped Rarity unload her luggage. “Fluttershy only left for the bathroom a few minutes ago.”

Rainbow sighed, tapping her hoof on the ground in order to ease her boredom. A short while ago, they were in Ponyville as the rainbow maned mare told everypony what she had found out about Scootaloo. Apparently, Miss Foster had been waiting for the letter that Rainbow had delivered and explained the situation. However, she was far from relieved as she read it aloud.

The girls were not alone as they heard this. Both Rainbow and Applejack noticed that, as Rainbow talked, several stallions looked shock, while other looked away with guilt written all over their faces. However, the strangest reactions were from Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, who huddled together for a bit and began to whisper to each other. Then, they simply left without saying a word to anypony. Heck, Applejack and Rarity never saw their sisters leave.

Shortly after that, a second chariot from Canterlot arrived with the help Princess Celestia had promised them. Fluttershy made sure to tell the stallion, who would be looking after her animals, to treat them nicely. Rarity told the dress maker to simply follow the designs she had left for her. Applejack informed the three guards to listen to her brother at Sweet Apple Acres. Once that was done, the girls piled into the second chariot since Rarity’s luggage took up all the room.

After a while, the two chariots landed in front of an open plot of land in Canterlot. As the mares climbed out, Fluttershy excused herself to use the little filly’s room.

“Hmm, that’s odd,” said Rarity as she took out the last suitcase. “I was sure I only packed seventeen bags. Oh well, must of miscounted.”

“Ah good, you’re here,” said a familiar voice behind them. The girls turned around to see Prince Blueblood walking towards them, with Fluttershy next to him. For some reason, the yellow pegasus had a blush on her face.

“Fluttershy,” cried Rarity. “What are you doing with Prince Blueblood?”

“Well, I, um,” stammered Fluttershy, bringing a hoof to lightly touch her mane. For a moment, it looked like she was touching something inside of it.

“It’s very simple,” said Blueblood as he gently touched Fluttershy’s hoof, earning a squeak from the mare. “I was asked by my aunt to come see you off, since she couldn’t be here herself. Something about getting ready to go on a diplomatic mission with Princess Luna. On my way here, I ran into this lovely creature.”

“Really, is that all?” demanded Rarity. She hadn’t forgotten the last time she had seen Blueblood. She knew he thought himself above anypony that wasn’t a noble. So, why in the wide world of Equestria was he being so nice to Fluttershy? There had to be a reason.

“It is,” replied the prince as he pulled out a pocket watch. “Now then, where are those two?”

“Ah, who are ya talking about?” asked Applejack.

Before Blueblood could answer, there was a flash of pink that forced every pony, but Pinkie, to look away. Oddly, the pink mare had sunglasses already on. When the light died down, there stood Trixie and Spike.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie is here,” she announced, standing on her hind legs as fireworks shot out behind her. After that, there was a moment of silence before Spike spoke up, getting everypony’s attention.

“Seriously?” he asked before letting out a sigh. “Why couldn’t the princess just send me and Moon Dancer?”

“Is that a baby dragon?” asked Fluttershy. Not waiting for an answer, she rushed right towards and stopped as soon as they were face to face. “I’ve never seen a baby dragon before. Oh, I have so many questions!”

“Well, that will have to wait till later,” said Trixie. “The Great and Powerful Trixie has been given a job only Trixie can do. Spike here is only coming along, so that he can send progress reports to Princess Celestia. So, tell me Blueblood, when are we departing?”

Blueblood opened his mouth to speak when there was another flash of light. When it cleared, there was a pink unicorn standing in front of them with a blond, curly mane. The pony’s cutie mark was covered up by silver armor with Princess Luna’s cutie mark on the chest plate.

“Hi, guys,” said the pony with a very male sounding voice. “Private Donut Hole of the Lunar Royal Guard and it’s a pleasure to meet you!” As he did this, he pulled out a business card with his name on it. Like his coat, the card was pink and the O’s were shaped like hearts.

Rainbow began to giggle. “I’ve never met a stallion with a pink coat before,” she noted with glee.

“Oh, Dashie,” said Pinkie with a wave of her hoof. “He’s not pink. He’s more of a lightish red. Trust me; I know pink when I see it. My name is Pinkie Pie after all.”

“Finally, somepony who sees it,” said a happy Donut.

“I take it that you are one of the Lunar ponies who will be working at the embassy?” inquired Blueblood.

“That’s right,” said Donut with a smile as he looked at the noble. “I’m in charge of security. That mean I get to do all the coolest jobs, like performing full body cavity searches.” The way Donut said that made Blueblood take an uneasy step backwards.

“Just one of ya?” asked Applejack with a raised eyebrow. “Seems like a bit much for one pony ta handle.”

“Oh, don’t worry about me,” said Donut. “I’m part of the Shield Corps, because of all the protection spells I learned during my training. And, I studied under some of the top instructors, like Rear Passageway and Backdoor Assault. They taught me everything I know today.”

“Well,” said Blueblood with a fake cough. “This has been… informative. Now, where is the rest of your party?”

Donut blinked. “Oh, right,” he said, pulling out a small black pyramid shaped object with a red blinking light on top. “Thanks for reminding me. I need to set this on the ground, where the embassy is supposed to be, before they can come. Where is it, anyways?”

Blueblood pointed to the vacant lot. Nodding, the pink stallion walked right in and stopped in the middle, before settling the device on the ground. As soon as he did, a beam of red light shot out of the top. Then, for a moment, nothing happened as Donut walked away with the device in hoof. A moment or two later, everypony in Canterlot saw it.

It was shaped like a five story silver egg, falling towards the capital at an alarming speed. All over Canterlot, the elite citizens began to scream and run around like chickens that had just lost their heads. Blueblood himself dropped to the ground, put his hooves over his head, and began to cry. But, as the object got closer, it also seemed to be slowing down. When it finally touched the ground, it did so lightly. A moment after it landed, a door opened up.

“Ok, then,” said Donut. “Right now our embassy is empty, but they should be sending somepony down really soon. For those of you going to the Republic, you will find a red circle in the middle of the room. Just stand on that and you will be teleported to the Republic. Once you get there, you will meet our representative who will be showing you around. But, before that, I will have to check your bags.”

With that, Donut’s horn began to glow pink. A second later, everypony’s bags were covered in his magic as he scanned for anything metallic. The first bag he checked was one of Rarity’s only to find several necklaces.

Next, came Applejacks saddlebags. Inside Donut found several bottle of Sweet Apple Acres cider, whose metallic caps set off his metal alarm spell. He also found a couple of metal apple peelers that looked a bit dangerous. Each one was shaped like a knife with the part that peeled the apple in the middle. The handle was green and ended with a red apple.

At first Donut wondered if he should allow her to bring them with her, since they could be used as a weapon. But, then Applejack explained that she was planning on giving both the peelers and cider away as gift, in order to encourage the lunar ponies to visit Sweet Apple Acres. Seeing nothing wrong with wanting to give somepony else a gift, Donut allowed her to take them with her.

Last bag that needed to be checked was Pinkie Pie’s. Apparently, she had her party cannon on her. As she pulled it out for Donut to check, all of the sweets she planned on bringing with her fell to the ground.

“Wow, you must really have a sweet tooth,” commented Donut as he hand back her stuff.

“Yeah, and I really can’t wait to try out all the delicious treats on the moon,” expressed a bouncing pink mare. “I mean, there is no way they can compare with Sugarcube Corner. But, I’m sure they’ll be just as tasty.” She then let out a gasp. “But, what if the treats on the moon are tastier than what the Cake’s make. Then, I’ll have to tell them and that’ll make them super disappointed! Oh, I know, I’ll just have to bring back of the sweets, so that they can try for themselves. Then, they might be able to taste the difference, so that they can make their own amazing treats even more amazing! Pinkie Pie, you are a genius.”

“Ok then, you can all carry on,” said Donut.

Together, the mares, plus Spike, walked into the embassy to find it oddly empty. In the center of the main room on the first floor was the circle Donut spoke of. Wanting to go first, Rainbow Dash landed on it and instantly vanished before everypony’s eyes.

Taking a breath, Applejack then stepped on it, as did the others, until it was just Rarity and Fluttershy. Fluttershy, who was terrified beyond all accounts, decided to make a dash for the door to go home. However, Rarity’s magic prevented her from doing so, picking her up and sat her on the circle.

Then, before Rarity stood on the circle, she heard Donut speak from outside. “Ok, time for random security inspection. I’m going to have to frisk you.”

“But, I’m not going to the Republic,” shouted Blueblood. “Hey, keep your hooves away from there!”

Laughing, Rarity stepped onto the circle. In an instant, she found herself no longer in Equestria, but in a very cramped white room. All around her were her friends, Trixie, and Spike, as well as all of their stuff. Sadly, most of the room was being taken up by Rarity’s luggage. If it weren’t for that, they all would have been able to fit in there comfortably.

Luckily, a door opened up from the wall, and in walked a very familiar purple unicorn, flanked by two members of the Lunar Royal Guard.

“Hello,” said Twilight. “My name is Twilight Sparkle and I…” It was at that moment that she realized who had just arrived. Her jaw dropped for a moment as she realized that the mares she and Shadow had encountered in Equestria were the other bearers.

Twilight was about to say something, when she noticed that one of them wasn’t a pony. The small reptile-like creature looked at her, and she at it. For a moment, the two stood there staring at each other, before Twilight took a step back as her eyes widened in fear.

“A-a dragon!” she screamed, before racing out the door. The girls all looked at each other in confusion, especially when Twilight returned a moment later with a weird looking object. She pointed it at Spike, and a moment later, it shot him with a weird, green projectile. It hit the baby dragon, piercing right through his hard scales. And, a moment afterward, his world went black.

Author's Note:

Well, I hope you all liked this chapter.

I wanted to do something different with the griffons. Whenever I hear about them in stories they are usually bullies. And whenever they do something wrong, Celestia caves in and punishes the pony who stands up to them. Like in the Golden Armor: Part II, Angel gets fired from the guard after a griffon attacks one of the members of her guard and she stops him. And in Stairway to Equestria, Midnight stops a griffon from killing Rainbow and gets punished!

The opening of season 4 was awesome. I really like how they set up the quest for the season which is similar to season 1 with the Grand Galloping Gala. The only thing I have a problem with is when they all tell Twilight to go home. I can understand their logic, but at the same time it makes me shake my head. I mean, how can you use the Elements when one of you is missing? What if you get to the Tree of Harmony and you don't know what to do? Other than that, I really liked it.

Finally, I have decided that later on in this story I will be showing my version of why Luna became Nightmare Moon. I know that the show has shown us, but this is fanfiction and I have my own idea based in this story.

PreviousChapters Next