• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 21,594 Views, 3,440 Comments

The Thousand Year Change - Darthvalgaav



After seeing what happened when she accidently changed her friends destinies, Twilight is curious about about the 'what if'. Like, for example, what if Luna had ponies a thousand years ago who noticed her.

  • ...
125
 3,440
 21,594

PreviousChapters Next
Appleloosa

“Fall back,” yelled Silver Star as the buffalo smashed through their defenses. The Sheriff of Appleloosa couldn’t believe it. He had hoped that they would fall for at least one of their traps. But, instead the buffalo plowed through the piles of hay while avoiding the ones that had anvils inside of them.

While that was going on, Silver Star looked over at their ammo of steaming hot pies, only to receive another shock. Large rocks, carried by the bat ponies, were dropping from the sky! Luckily no pony was hurt, but their catapult as well as the pies suffered heavy casualties. This wasn’t something that they had planned for. Perhaps it was a mistake to leave all of their pies out in the open like that.

In the air was Thunder Shot, flying towards each of the attacking bat ponies. How he managed to fly at those high speeds with that cloak on was a mystery to the sheriff. The pegasus stallion looked like he was trying to get in their way, trying to buy time so that those below could move the pies, by waving his front hooves wildly in the air while shooting things at them. Sadly, there were too many bat ponies armed with the large rocks and only one of him. Personally, Silver Star was expecting something better from him.

Silver Star could feel despair wash over him as he ran with the rest of the citizens of Appleloosa. There were just so many buffalo. If only they had a few unicorns, or if the soldiers from Canterlot had gotten here in time, maybe then they might have a chance. But, now it was too late.

Now they were cornered in the center of town. All around them, buffalo filled the streets, leaving nowhere to go. Looking up, Silver Star saw the bat ponies circling above them like vultures. Closing his eyes, Silver Star waited for the end to come.

Yet, after about a minute of waiting, Silver Star slowly opened his eyes to see what was taking his immanent doom so long. What he saw was that a pink wall of magical energy had appeared in between them and the buffalo. The buffalo, at first, appeared confused by this and just stood there, staring at the energy wall. It didn’t last long, because soon, they began to snort loudly as they charged at the wall. This proved to be wasted energy as the wall held firm.

Looking up, Silver Star and the rest of the ponies from Appleloosa spotted a flying chariot in the sky above their town. The kind that belonged only to members of nobility and Princess Celestia! The bat ponies, who had been circling them, had flown away from it and closer to the buffalo. Looking back down, the settler ponies saw the wall pushing back the buffalo with the ease of pushing toy blocks across the floor. Yet, for some reason, the wall in front of them didn’t move an inch.

As Silver Star and the others stood there confused, the magical wall vanished, leaving a wide open space between the ponies and the buffalo. It was in that space that the chariot landed, causing many of the ponies to gasp in shock. First of all, the chariot was being pulled by bat ponies wearing pink armor. Second, the pony in the chariot was a pink alicorn and not Princess Celestia. Finally, there was no army or anypony else to help fight against the buffalo.

Calmly, the pink alicorn walked out of the chariot. Walking next to her was a small bat pony filly. As one of the bat ponies helped her comrades remove the reins from the chariot, Silver Star began to seethe in rage. What in Equestria was an alicorn doing with bat ponies? And, why were they wearing armor?

As for the buffalo and their bat pony friends, they were also wondering what was going on. They had been on the verge of victory, before the pink wall appeared and pushed them away. Chief Thunderhooves motioned those behind him to stay where they were. He had witnessed before what unicorns could do with their magic, as well as the powerful magic that an alicorn had. If his guess was right that she was the one who pushed them back with her magic, then he would not want to charge recklessly at her.

The desert dwelling bat ponies, on the other hoof, were having mixed feelings about all of this. On one hoof, they were both shocked and amazed to see bat ponies wearing the armor of the Royal Guard. Yet, on the other hoof, they couldn’t help but to feel embarrassed for them for having to wear pink armor!

“I am Princess Mi Amore Cadenza of Equestria,” said the pink alicorn in a loud voice, so that all could hear her once she and her group had made their way to the middle of the street. “I have come here in the name of Princess Celestia, so that we can find a peaceful solution for all parties. I would ask that both sides send over representatives, so that we may talk.”

For the buffalo, Chief Thunderhooves looked over at Darkwing. Normally, he would have preferred Weeping Willow to be at his side for an event like this, since she was not only his friend, but also the Flight Master of her colony. However, she had stayed behind at the camp along with the other elderly and those too young to fight.

The other bat ponies looked towards Darkwing as their second in command during this fight. And, it wasn’t like he hadn’t earned that right. It had been thanks to his scouting that they were able to avoid the traps set by the ponies of Appleloosa, as well as learning where their pile of apple pies were. Looking at the younger bat pony, Chief Thunderhooves motioned with his head to follow him.

As the two desert dwellers walked towards the princess, Silver Star was losing it. He was a sheriff! Bat ponies were nothing but criminals, and here before him were criminals dressed as Royal Guards, pretending to protect Princess Cadence. What lie had they told her to get this job? What did they tell her that could cause a member of the royal family to come out here, without an army, and talk to this scum?

Silver Star didn’t know, and right now, he didn’t care. He would not allow his home, which he had just finished building along with the rest of the settler ponies, to be put in danger by their kind. Eyes narrowing, Silver Star took off at full speed.

Ruby was the first to notice the charging sheriff. It looked like he was heading towards the princess and her foal. Images appeared quickly in her alarmed head of the stallion attacking either of them. ‘Oh, that is not going to happen,’ thought Ruby fiercely and quickly moved in between the princess and the sheriff. Wishing that she had more time spent in training, Ruby dug in her hooves and braced herself for the attack.

She didn’t have to wait long, for the motion transpired very quickly. Silver Star tackled Ruby with full force, knocking her to the ground. In response to this, Darkwing’s wings stood up and he moved to a pouncing position. He wouldn’t let anypony try a sneak attack like that on Thunderhooves. Speaking of whom, the Chief glared at Cadence for a moment, wondering if this was some sort of trick. Yet, judging by the princess’s face, she was equally shocked by what was happening.

Back on the ground, Ruby was doing her best to get up. However, Silver Star had one of his hooves on her wing. The other hoof was trying to take off her armor.

“Your kind shouldn’t be wearing this,” he growled as he struggled to remove the pink armor with one hoof. Sadly for him, this proved to be very difficult. Using her front hooves, Ruby tried in vain to push him off. This only served to enrage him further, causing the sheriff to stop trying to remove the armor and raise a hoof to punch her in the face.

But, the sheriff never got the chance. Before his hoof could descend upon her face, he got bucked hard by Thunder Shot’s hind legs. The force of the kick sent the sheriff flying into the air and then rolling in the dirty street. Before he could get up fully, Cadence created a giant bird cage with her magic and placed him inside, slamming the door shut.

Meanwhile, Ruby looked up at her rescuer, panting hard. She had never been so frightened in her life. And, while she was thankful to whoever saved her, she was still somewhat frightened by this cloaked stranger, wondering why he did that.

It was then that she smelled something very familiar: garlic. This stallion reeked of the smell as if he had bathed in it. Yet, the smell brought back memories. There had only been one stallion in her life that smelled like he did.

“D-Daddy?” stammered Ruby. The stallion removed the hood and Ruby found herself staring into the golden eyes of her smiling father. She remembered that when she was younger, his light green mane was slicked back, but now looked messy and rugged.

“Ruby,” cried the voice of her mother as the bat pony feel her front hooves wrap around her neck. They were so close that she felt her mother’s tears run down her neck. “We were so worried! We had no idea where you were, or if you were ok.”

“Mom,” gasped Ruby as her air supply began to leave her. “Choking!”

“Oops,” replied Dreamy, taking a step back. Without her cloak and hood, everypony could see her long orange mane. “I’m just so happy that you are alright. We’ve been looking everywhere for you.”

“I’m sorry I made you both worry,” said Ruby as she stood up. “I never meant to leave either of you. I got lost and I didn’t know how to get back home and-”

“It doesn’t matter,” said Thunder, hugging his daughter. “What matters is that we found you alive and well. And, that’s what matters most.”

Meanwhile, Cadence watched as Dreamy Words also began to hug Ruby. It gave the princess a warm feeling inside as she felt the true, unconditional love they had for each other. It was so obvious that everypony around could see it. The ones who it affected the most were the ones of the buffalo side. Many of the bat ponies had tears in their eyes, while many of the buffalo just began to bawl. Chief Thunderhooves nodded at the sight, seeing that perhaps not all ponies were like the ones from Appleloosa.

Yet, on the Appleloosa side, the reaction they got was confusion.

“I-I don’t understand.”

“She’s a bat pony. How can they be near her?”

“I don’t understand this.”

“They’re helping the bat ponies. We should run them all out!”

“Enough!” shouted Cadence, turning to face the ponies of Appleloosa. “What is the matter with you?”

“Don’t you know that bat ponies are born criminals,” shouted Silver Star from his cage. “We all know it!”

Cadence rolled her eyes. “Yes, I am aware of that rumor,” she calmly noted. “And I am also aware that many of them are thieves. But, it is not because they are born that way. No, they have been forced into that life, because of ponies like you.” As she ended that sentence, Cadence pointed her hoof at the pony crowd, earning a gasp of shock.

“You all repeat the same thing over and over again,” Cadence continued. “Not one of you has given them a chance to be anything other than what you proclaim them to be. From the time they are born, ponies like you have pointed your hooves at them and claimed them to be thieves, even when they have done nothing wrong. You made those rumors and then lie about them to further justify your actions. But, I am here to tell you that they are false.

“I may not know everything about bat ponies, but I have met with those who do, and have talked to them. I have gotten to know them well. They are just like any other pony out there, except that they are better suited for the night life. Their eyes can see during the night, just as well as the day. Their wings, while different, allow them to fly well during the night. They do not drink blood, but they love fruit.

“In the end, they are simply night pegasi!”

“How-” began a mare, but fell silent when Cadence turned her head to look at her. Slowly, the princess of love walked over to her.

“Tell me, have you ever met one before today?” asked Cadence, looking directly at the mare. The mare shook her head no. “Have any of you lost anything since coming here?” The ponies began to glance at each other while whispering. After a short while, they came to the conclusion of no.

Cadence turned and looked in the direction of the buffalo. “Tell me, have the bat ponies ever stolen anything?”

“Never,” said Thunderhooves as the others nodded in agreement. “They have been nothing but polite and respectable.”

Cadence nodded before returning her attention back towards the crowd. “The way we have been treating them ends today. No more will a mother toss her bat pony child out to the streets, and not suffer any penalty for it. They have the right to live like any other pony here. Free to pursue their dreams, fall in love, and have a family.”

“You expect us to just accept them?!” howled Silver Star. “To work besides them like nothing is wrong? It can’t be done!”

“It can,” said Cadence strongly. “For I have seen it. There is a place where bat ponies live alongside the three other tribes. A place where they are given equal rights like any other pony. In fact, their Captain of the Royal Guard is a bat pony! Like the buffalo, they know that bat ponies aren’t thieves by nature.

“Now, I am sure there is a thief or two that is a bat pony, just as I’m sure that there are earth, pegasus, and unicorn thieves out there. I am willing to work to see Equestria like that. Not just for my daughter’s sake, but for the sake of everypony in Equestria.”

Every pony’s and buffalo’s eyes widened when Cadence said that last bit. All eyes turned to look at the bat pony filly, who now seemed to be trying to hide behind her mother, yet failed. All of them thought the same thing: there was a bat pony princess in Canterlot. The bat ponies of the desert could only stare in disbelief that one of them was now royalty. Perhaps, they thought, there might be hope for them.

To the Appleloosa group, that had to mean that Princess Celestia was ok with it. If she wasn’t, there would be no way she would have allowed it to happen. Sure, they had heard her talk about treating bat ponies fairly and all that, but she had never done anything before to back up what she was saying. Realizing this, they began to talk with each other as to what to do next.

Cadence looked at the Appleloosa group and saw that they were talking to each other, which to her, was a good sign. Hopefully, they would see the errors of their ways. While they talked, the pink princess walked over to Ruby with her daughter behind her. As she near, Dreamy Words turned her head to gaze at Cadence.

“I can’t thank you enough for everything you’ve done for our little filly,” she cried.

“It was all her doing,” said Cadence. “She was the one who came to me and asked for this chance, which I happily gave. I cannot imagine how hard it must have been for the two of you. Not knowing if your daughter was dead or alive. It must have been quite the struggle.”

“Well, I won’t lie that it was hard,” said Thunder, pulling out some garlic and bit into it. “We were afraid to go to the police, because we knew how they would treat her. So, we decided we would look for her ourselves.

“At first, we looked all over the nearby towns, but had no luck. We checked newspapers, asked homeless ponies, and just about everything we could think about. Then, after a year or so, I left my job as a storm breaker at the Cloudsdale weather factory and sold our home, so we could look for her. Going from town to town looking for any bat ponies and asking them if they had seen our little filly.”

“A storm breaker?” asked Midnight, poking her head out from behind her mother out of curiosity.

“Yeah,” said Thunder as he finished his garlic. “See, when storm clouds are made, they are usually too large for a pegasus to move. So, I use a wooden hammer and spike to break them apart into more manageable sizes. Has to be wood, since it doesn’t conduct the lightning. Lucky for us that while we were on the road, I found some freelance work.”

“Interesting,” replied Cadence. “So tell me, how did the two of you ended up out here.”

“Well,” began Thunder as he began to look a bit embarrassed. “That’s, ah, a funny story.”

“We got lost and he refused to ask for directions,” said Dreamy in a deadpanned tone. “Stallions!”

Cadence giggled as Thunder Shot turned his head away to hide his growing embarrassment. It was, however, at that moment that a member of Appleloosa group stepped forward. Cadence saw that he was a middle aged stallion with a brown mane and a beard that had a grey stripe running through it. His coat was yellow with a cutie mark that looked like an apple being peeled in a spiral. Taking a breath, the princess of love, her guards, her daughter, the buffalo chief, and the young bat pony stallion all met in the middle of the street.

“My name is Apple Peel,” introduced the earth pony stallion to the group. “Ah’m gonna speak for the ponies of Appleloosa. We talked about it an’ have come to a decision.”

“I see,” said Cadence. “And what have you decided.”

Apple Peel looked at Cadence for a moment before turning his attention to Darkwing. “We talked about it an’ you’re right, nothin’ has been stolen, except for the trees that them buffalo stole. If we hadn’t of seen them, we’d never have known they were here. But, to be honest, we’re not too keen on the idea of them living side by side with us right now. No offence.”

“None taken,” replied Darkwing. “We’re in no hurry to live beside you either.”

“Still, you’re welcome in town anytime,” continued Apple Peel. “I’m sure you can find work around here, and maybe bit-by-bit, we can bury the hatch.”

“I guess that will work for now,” replied Darkwing with a slight nod. “We get by pretty well right now, but that doesn’t mean that we have everything we need. The buffalo have shown us a lot about medicine, but there are some things that they can’t help us with. We’d be willing to work in exchange for doctor visits and such.”

Apple Peel smiled. “I think we can work something out.”

“Then that matter is settled,” said Darkwing. “However, there is another matter that we still need to attend to.”

“Yes, those apple trees need to go, so that we may continue our stampede,” declared Thunderhooves.

“But, we need those trees!” cried Apple Peel.

“Can they be moved?” asked Cadence, but Apple Peel shook his head.

“The land they’re on is the flattest land we could find with the best soil,” he replied. “If we move them, we might as well move the entire town!”

“I see,” said Cadence as she looked at Thunderhooves. “And, tell me, is it not possible for you to move your stampede path around the trees?”

Thunderhooves let out a loud snort of displeasure. “Never,” he said. “We buffalo have stampeded across that land for generations. And, even if we were to do so, the land around it is too rugged for us to stampede safely as we have been. Therefore, those trees must go!”

“Are you telling us to-”

“Can’t you just go through the trees?” asked Midnight, interrupting Apple Peel. All the adults turned their attention to the little filly, who ‘eeped’ before trying to hide behind her mother once more.

“Go through the trees?” repeated Cadence as she thought about the idea. She was a bit confused by what the filly had said, but knew that Midnight was still very young. “Do you mean make a space for the buffalo to run through the orchard?”

“What’s an orchard?” asked Midnight.

While Cadence explained what an orchard was, it allowed both Apple Peel and Chief Thunderhooves to think about the idea. By only moving a few trees, the buffalo could continue their sacred stampede and the ponies of Appleloosa wouldn’t starve. Heck, the buffalo might even help knock down a few apples as they charged through!

“This…might work,” said Thunderhooves as Cadence finished her explanation.

“Can’t say I have any problems with it,” agreed Apple Peel.

“There now,” said Cadence. “Finding a peaceful solution wasn’t that hard, was it?”

“No, princess,” said Apple Peel. “I guess we’d better get ta work moving them trees.” He then paused before looking over at Silver Star. “But, I have ta ask, what’ll happen ta the sheriff?”

Cadence sighed. “I’m afraid that I can’t overlook what I have seen,” she said sadly. “Charging and attacking a member of the Royal Guard is a very serious crime. He will be removed from his position as sheriff and taken back to Canterlot to await trial.”

“Then, who will be sheriff?” asked Apple Peel.

Cadence wondered about that too. If they elected or just hired a new one, then there was a chance that he or she might cause problems with the bat ponies. She thought about it for a moment more before she got an idea.

“Thunder Shot,” said Cadence, looking over at the stallion. “How would you like the job?”

“M-me, princess?” stammered Thunder Shot.

“Yes,” said Cadence. “I need a sheriff here who will show respect to the bat ponies, as well as the ponies of Appleloosa. Do you think you can do that?”

Thunder Shot blinked as he looked up at Cadence. He knew what he was being asked and what it could mean. His job would be to show the rest of Equestria that bat ponies weren’t the scum they had been made out to be. To be a fair and just sheriff that wouldn’t first blame the bat ponies when things went wrong, simply because they were bat ponies.

Sure, there would be ponies out there who would say he was being biased, because his daughter was one, but maybe that would change in time as long as he can found the real criminal. But, it sounded so…big. So important that a simple storm breaker like him could never do. And, what about Ruby?

“I don’t know,” admitted Thunder Shot, hanging his head. “It sounds real nice and all. But, I just found my daughter. I was hoping that we could make up for lost time, and we can’t do that when she’s living in Canterlot while I’m here.”

“I understand,” said Cadence. “That’s why she’s going to be coming here twice a month after her basic training is finished.”

“What?” asked Ruby and her parents at the same time.

“What is happening here will be a very delicate matter,” said Cadence. “I am sure that there will be ponies who won’t like the idea of bat ponies being treated fairly. Therefore, I would like it if a member of my guard visited on a regular basis to see how things are going and report back. And, I know that all of you would rather live in Canterlot together, but the cost of living there is very expensive.”

Dreamy let out a sigh. “I hear what you’re saying, princess,” she said. “We only have five bits to our name right now.”

“Then, will you accept?” asked Cadence.

Thunder Shot looked at Ruby for a moment before looking at Cadence. “I guess so,” he said. “For now, at least. I do want to see my daughter more than a couple of times a month, though.”

“Don’t worry, Daddy,” said Ruby as she gave her father a hug. “I’ll be coming by every time I get some time off.”

Meanwhile, Chief Thunderhooves and Darkwing were off on their own a respectable distance away. While Darkwing stared onward at the scene with the two princesses and company, Thunderhooves was watching Darkwing with a small smile. At first, the young bat pony did his best to ignore it, but after a while he became annoyed.

“What?” he simply asked.

“Oh, nothing,” said Thunderhooves as he looked over at Apple Peel. “I am just proud that you did what was right for your colony.”

“To be honest, I don’t like the idea of working besides them,” stated Darkwing softly. “The ponies of Equestria have rarely ever treated us with any kind of friendship. For all I know, this could all be an act while the princess is here. But…the Flight Master is getting older and her health is fading. After everything she has done for us, I could never forgive myself if I didn’t do everything I could to see that she gets some kind of help. Also…”

“Also?” echoed Thunderhooves.

Darkwing pointed to the little bat pony filly. “We finally have a bat pony princess. If there was ever a moment where we bat ponies had a chance to have a better life, it’s now with her.”

“I see,” said Thunderhooves with a nod. A moment later, Cadence walked over to the two with her guards.

“I wanted to thank you both for listening,” she began. “And I was hoping that we could continue to talk about a few other things.”

“Such as?” asked Thunderhooves.

“I would like to know which other areas of the desert are sacred to you,” explained Cadence. “That way, we can avoid situations like this in the future. Also, I would like to get to know you, your buffalo, and the bat ponies that live here.”

Thuderhooves and Darkwing exchanged a look for a moment. Thunderhooves expression was asking Darkwing if he didn’t mind. The bat stallion shrugged, signaling that he didn’t mind. With that done, the two looked at Cadence and nodded.

Author's Note:

Well, Rainbow Falls was a good episode. Loved seeing a new location as well as a few really awesome griffon designs. Derpy making an appearance was just...ok. Sorry, I'm not that big of a Derpy fan.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hoof, I could understand her situation and not wanting to pick between a really good team and her own that looked more like they were getting ready to have a tea party, It just makes the other team look more inviting. So I could understand her faking an injury. But the Wonderbolts aren't looking all that great seeing how they treated one of their own.

PreviousChapters Next