• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 21,601 Views, 3,440 Comments

The Thousand Year Change - Darthvalgaav



After seeing what happened when she accidently changed her friends destinies, Twilight is curious about about the 'what if'. Like, for example, what if Luna had ponies a thousand years ago who noticed her.

  • ...
125
 3,440
 21,601

PreviousChapters Next
Big Brother is Watching

Cadence let out a shiver as she walked towards the balcony. It was close to ten, but there was a bitter chill to the air despite it being the middle of summer. It was almost as if all warmth had left Equestria.

So far her day had been every bit as eventful as she had predicted. As soon as the sun came up reporters had gathered at the front gates demanding answers. Cadence and Midnight had gone out to speak with them, the small of the two scared out of her wits. While the reporters yelled out accusations that Midnight might be plotting something, the bat filly hid behind her adopted mother. The alicorn of love stood tall while she did her best to squash every vile question they had. She stated that Midnight wasn’t plotting anything evil nor did she have any ill intent. The whole thing had taken almost two hours ending with many of the reports returning to their offices to find some way to twist Cadence’s words around.

“Why are we up here mommy?” asked Midnight as she broke Cadence out of her thoughts.

“We’re waiting for waiting for Auntie Celestia, Princess Luna, and Shining Armor to return,” said Cadence with a smile which Midnight returned.

“Do you think we can play some more with Mr. Shiny?” asked Midnight. “I really liked him.” Cadence let out a giggle as playfully messed up her daughter’s mane.

“I do to,” admitted Cadence. Just then, she heard the guards begin to shout something. Looking in the direction of Ponyville, Cadence saw a single chariot flying through the skies. As it got closer she grew worried due to the fact that the only pony she could see was Celestia. When it landed Cadence held back a gasp at the sight of her aunt’s bruised cheek. “Auntie, what happened?”

“My sister,” said Celestia in a quiet voice as she left the chariot. “It seems she had sent her own student to Ponyville as well. It seems that she found out some things that upset the both of them and, before she could give me a chance to explain, lost her temper. She then canceled the union between our nations before demanding that she never hear from me again.”

Cadence narrowed her eyes. “What ‘things’ did she find out Auntie?”

“I will tell you once this is over,” said Celestia as she walked part her niece. As she did a scroll and quill appeared next to her. “Right now I have to try and reason with Luna.”

-x-

Shining Armor let out a sigh. Currently he was staring out of a window in the palace that faced the planet. Even though he had been there for a brief amount of time, he now found himself missing it for some reason. ‘Or perhaps’, he thought to himself, ‘you’re missing somepony.’

It was true; he had felt a connection to the pink princess. She was different from the mares here on the moon. She was…good. There was no other way he could explain it. Cadence was so determined to do the right thing and to help. He liked how quickly she took to her role as a mother figure as if she had been practicing it for years. The time they spent playing with Midnight had been the most fun he had since Twilight had moved out. Speaking of Twilight, he regretted that they never got the chance to meet. If they had he was sure that they would have become friends.

Slowly he pulled himself away from the window…only to crash into Princess Luna.

“P-Princess,” stammered Shining as he backed up. “Please forgive me! I wasn’t watching where I was going.”

“At ease,” said Luna with a hint of a smile. “I think I might know what has my-” She was then cut off as a scroll surrounded by a golden glow appeared next to her. Sighing in irritation she picked up the scroll with her magic before magically summoning a recycling bin. With a look of annoyance, Luna then dropped the scroll into the bin.

Shining blinked. “Princess, what was that about?” he asked.

“Just another letter from my sister,” said Luna as she rolled her eyes. “This is the third one she has sent this hour. We will have to do something about this. That or enchant the shield spell surrounding the palace to redirect her mail to the recycling plant.”

“I will get on it right away,” said Shining Armor as he bowed. Luna, however, shook her head.

“There are others in the Shield Corps that I can ask,” she said. “I want you to go home and relax.” Shining Armor opened his mouth to argue, but Princess Luna gently placed a hoof on his shoulder to silence him. “You have been up for over twenty four hours. You’re thoughts are also focused on Cadence right now. It’s written all over your face so please don’t say it isn’t.”

“I never get to say goodbye,” said Shining as he looked out the window once again. He then shook his head. “I don’t know why I’m feeling like this! I knew her for barely a day! I…I just don’t understand why I’m feeling like this. It makes no sense.”

‘Love rarely ever does,’ thought Luna as a sad smile appeared on her face. She had seen the signs clear as the night under a full moon. It might not have been the moment the two of them made eye contact, but it happened. A connection had been made, one she had seen countless times in the Republic. Sadly, however, it looked like it was never going to be.

“Shining, please go home and get some rest,” she said. “Or you can go spend some time with your new niece. Whatever you do just relax, get your mind off the planet, and…you’re not listening to me anymore, are you?” It was true. As soon as Shining heard the word niece his mind went into overdrive as a look of horror appeared on his face.

‘She’s adopted,’ he thought to himself. ‘Even though she has a purple mane like Shadow’s, it’s impossible for her to her to really be Twily’s daughter. I mean, Twily would have to use a birth acceleration spell and then and age spell to make her look like a nine year old filly. Unless she had her nine years ago and has been hiding it from me! No, I would have noticed something! My imagination is just running away with me right now. She’s part of the family. Twily will make a great mother. And Shadow…I guess he’ll take on the role of father.’ Shining’s eye began to twitch. ‘He might try to take advantage of the situation. Spending more time with Twily then pushing her into doing things she is NOT ready for!’

“I think I’ll go home now,” said Shining as he began to walk away. As he did, Luna smirked as she wondered what the captain of the Shield Corps was going to do. But before she could wonder about anything in great detail another scroll from her sister appeared next to her only to be tossed into the recycling bin.

-x-

“THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY EVER!” Twilight groaned as she heard somepony practically screaming in her ear. Slowly Twilight opened her eyes to see Scootaloo buzzing through the air. The look on the young filly’s face was that of pure joy as she simply circled around the room. However she was going too fast and soon crashed into a wall. “I’m ok,” she said as she peeled herself off said wall.

“Well it seems like everything went well,” said Twilight as she gave Shadow a nudge. The stallion grunted in response causing Twilight to nudge him again only a little harder. Clicking his tongue, Shadow opened his eye and then yawned loudly.

“So, is flying everything you thought it would be?” asked Shadow as the couple stood up. Scootaloo turned to look at them with a big smile on her face. Once again she took to the air.

“Yes! Yes! A thousand times YES!” she cheered as she tried to do a summersault only to crash into the ground. Shadow chuckled.

“Looks like I’m going to have to give somepony some flying lessons soon,” said Shadow with a grin. He then glanced at a wall clock and then groaned. “I have to get back to work. Knowing Lightning, she’s probably been goofing off since we left.”

Twilight giggled. “It’s alright,” she said as she gave her coltfriend a peck on the cheek. “I’ll take Scootaloo home for now and then later we can see if she can be enrolled at Princess Luna’s School for Gifted Ponies.”

“Can I fly there?” asked Scootaloo as she once again started to fly. Sadly her lift off was a bit too powerful and she crashed her head on the ceiling.

“I think it would be better if you walked for now,” laughed Twilight as she patted Scootaloo on the head. “Just until you get a few flying lessons.”

“Okay,” grumbled Scootaloo. With that, the trio parted ways. As Shadow made his way down the corridor leading towards the training grounds, Twilight and Scootaloo walked towards the main entrance. As they did, Scootaloo kept skipping happily next to Twilight. Her body felt lighter and she felt like she had more energy than before. She also noted that her wings were slightly bigger as well.

As the two stepped out of the castle, Scootaloo looked up at the sky…and her jaw hit the ground. Above her were countless stars as well as a blue and green planet. The filly’s knees began to shake as confusion began to take over. She then looked around her only to notice the white, rocky surface around her. It almost looked like a desert. She didn’t know where they were, but it certainly wasn’t anywhere near Equestria.

“Is something wrong?” asked Twilight as she noticed Scootaloo’s confusion.

“W-Where are we?” asked the orange filly.

“Oh that’s right,” said Twilight as she face hoofed. “I forgot to tell you earlier. Now please stay calm. You are in the Lunar Republic on the moon.” Scootaloo blinked for a moment before fainting.

Twenty minutes later Scootaloo woke up wondering what happened. The last thing she remembered was Twilight telling her… Jumping up, Scootaloo saw that Twilight was standing a few feet away from her. The orange filly began to back up until her hind legs told her that there was no more ground. Looking behind her she saw that she was on a floating piece of metal that was zipping across the ground.

“Scootaloo, please stay calm,” said Twilight.

“But you said we’re on the moon,” said Scootaloo as she pointed a hoof at Twilight. “Isn’t the moon full of pony eating monsters?!”

Twilight shook her head. “Scootaloo, you’ve been mislead your entire life,” said Twilight calmly. She then gave the filly a small smile. “I’ve lived here my entire life. Tell me, do I look like a pony eating monster? Does Shadow?”

“N-No,” admitted Scootaloo. “But the stories-”

“They’re all lies,” said Twilight. “A thousand years ago, we left Equestria because of the way they treated us. They were afraid of us because we enjoyed the night instead of the day.”

“Really?” asked Scootaloo as she raised an eyebrow. “That’s it? That sounds dumb.”

Twilight giggled. “Yes, it does sound dumb today. But a thousand years ago it was a really big deal.” The platform the two had been standing on began to slow down until it stopped altogether. “Well, this is our stop.”

As the two left the platform station, Scootaloo’s eyes were trying to take everything in. The ponies looked just like the ones back home. They were walking down the streets, talking to others, laughing with each other. From time to time she would see a street performer playing an instrument. It was…so normal. When Scootaloo pictured what it was like to live on the moon, she saw a nightmarish place were death lurked around every corner. Or at least that’s what she had attempted to draw for a Nightmare Night assignment for Miss Cheerilee.

Another thing that Scootaloo noticed were the houses. Each one looked exactly the same, a giant egg with a ring floating around the top. As Scootaloo noticed this, she wondered how Twilight could tell her home from the others. The homes were placed directly next to each other, the same space apart. It was like all of the ponies in the Republic owned the same amount of space.

The Twilight just stopped right in the middle of the sidewalk causing Scootaloo to bump into her. Looking forward, Scootaloo saw there were several ponies moving large boxes into one of the egg homes. One of the ponies, a white unicorn she had seen in the princess’s throne room, was standing outside barking orders to the other ponies. Twilight then snorted before charging towards him.

“Hey Twily,” said the stallion as he saw the two racing towards him.

“What’s going on here Shiny?” demanded Twilight. She then pointed a hoof at the building. “Why are you bringing all this stuff into my house?”

“Well I thought I’d help out by buying you some stuff for your new daughter,” said Shining Armor with a nervous grin. Twilight blinked at him for a moment before she walked inside the house. As Scootaloo followed, she felt she was back in the Ponyville Library. There were shelves filled with books everywhere. The only furniture she could see in the living room were a sofa with a small table next to it. Of course on the table was a couple of books.

Scootaloo noticed that Twilight was heading up a spiral staircase. Not knowing what else to do the young filly followed her up to a room halfway between the living up and the top of the stairs. Inside the room was a brand new bed, a couple of dressers, some stuffed creatures that Scootaloo had no idea what they were, and a brand new metal scooter. Scootaloo’s eye went wide as she fought the urge to cry. She had never had this much stuff before. Back in Equestria, the only thing she owned was a scooter that she had dug out of a trash can.

“Shiny, I…I don’t know what to say,” said Twilight as she turned to look at her brother. “I thought you were trying to move in with me. Again.” Shining let out an uncomfortable laugh.

“Yeah well I learned my lesson the last time I tried that,” said Shining as shifted on his hoofs. “Anyways, I also got you some new books as well. They’re in you room if you are interested.” Interested she was indeed. As soon as Shining finished speaking Twilight ran right out of the room towards her own. This left Scootaloo and Shining alone. “Well, I hope you like all this.”

“I do,” said Scootaloo as she bounced. She then began to hug Shining Armor. “I don’t know what to say!”

“Thank you works,” chuckled Shining. He then leaned down so his head was next to Scootaloo’s. “I was wondering if you might do me a big favor.”

The orange filly’s ears flattened. “What kind of favor?” she asked as she took a step back, slightly worried.

“Nothing bad,” said Shining calmly. “I just would like it if you could keep an eye on Twily for me. Let me know if Twilight and Shadow are getting a little too close or if he spends the night. Can you do that for me?”

Scootaloo blinked. “You mean if I see them sleeping together?” she asked innocently. Shining slowly nodded. “Well, I sort of saw them doing that earlier today in the doctor’s office.”

For a moment, Shining said nothing. He just stared into empty space. ‘They did THAT in a doctor’s office? And in front of a filly?!’ However, it never occurred to Shining that Scootaloo might have been literal when she said she saw them sleeping together. But, with his protective big brother mode in overdrive, Shining Armor raced out of the room to hunt down Shadow Blade.

Meanwhile, up in Twilight’s room, the purple unicorn was checking out the books Shining had given her. They were all about foal raising and a guide to being a single parent. All in all, they looked like they were good choices. She would really have to thank Shining for all of this later. It much of cost him a small fortune.

Out of the corner of her eye, Twilight thought she saw something shine. She put down the book she had been looking at to investigate. It turned out to be a stuffed star that was on her dresser. Funny, she never had one there before she left. She then shrugged, thinking that one of the movers put it in her room by mistake. Yet as she picked it up she noticed something odd about it. One part of the star was a slightly different shade of yellow. As her eyes narrowed she cast a detection spell only to find there was a camera in the stuffed star.

Twilight growled. So this was what Shining was really up to. He had placed nanny cams in her house to spy on her. Most likely to make sure she and Shadow didn’t do anything that he didn’t like. Slowly a smile appeared on her face as she thought of her first mother/daughter bonding exercise: hunting down all the expensive nanny cams and destroying them!

Author's Note:

Well, I got a lot of people who thought that lunar justice was a bit harsh. I had planned on explaining it in better detail within story, but got stuck on how I wanted to present it. So I scrapped it for now. Right now I want to show that Demolition Man wasn’t the only source of inspiration for the last chapter. In the second season of Stargate: Atlantis, they came across a world were their method of justice was to send killers to an island were the Stargate was so that when the Wraith came they would take them instead of the rest of the people on the planet. This caused crime rates on the planet to drop drastically. Pretty much the same logic I used in Lunar Justice. If ponies knew what could happened to them if they committed a serious crime like that I don’t think that many would. In the Republic, the only real criminals are those that think they can get away with it or those that do horrible things in the name of science. Keep that in mind for future chapters.

Before anyone begins to ask why Shining Armor is like this, please think back to previous chapters. After all of the shit he has been through, it’s not surprising that he would be a little overprotective of Twilight.

The number five spot in my mane six list goes to Pinkie Pie. Now I like her a lot more than I do Rarity. Pinkie always gets a laugh out of me and is very enjoyable to watch. So, I bet your wondering why she is so low on this poll. Well, for the longest time I had no idea why she acted the way she did. I get that she likes parties since that’s her special talent and all, but everything else was just so random it got confusing. At least with the other characters we got a sense of why they did the things they did. It wasn’t until the Smile song (which I LOVE by the way) that the show finally gave me a clue as to why Pinkie was so random. She just wants to make others happy. On another note, Pinkie’s belief that every situation calls for a party does get to me at times. What if you just need a moment to yourself and then she crashes through your wall with her party cannon? While I strongly dislike Rarity and sometimes wish she wasn’t part of the show, I would throw a fit if they removed Pinkie. She’s just not my favorite, that’s all.

PreviousChapters Next