• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 2,506 Views, 47 Comments

The Club's Connected to the Boutique - firebirdabirdoffire



After an interview Octavia was curious about of her best friend, she was acting odd around them, and then she realized that she doesn't know much about her herself. So after the night of her DJ-ing Octavia follows her back home...

  • ...
5
 47
 2,506

Special Bonus Chapter - Hearth's Warming Eve with the Family and Co. (and others)

A firebirdabirdmadeoutoffire very special Hearth's Warming Eve extraordinary special unique special story special of fire special special:

Hearth's Warming Eve with the Family and Co. (and others)

Belle residence. Hearth's Warming Eve, afternoon.

'Twas a swell today for the Belles. There's a tree somewhere in the living room, with the presents underneath it while they're waiting for all their guests to arrive. "This is gonna be awesome. Rarity and Vinyl are gonna be awesome. The whole family is going to be here. This is so totally boss." Said Sweetie as she bounced up and down and all-around.

"Still not over that fact that you have two sisters, are you deary?" Pearl asked her daughter from the kitchen.

"Seems like you picked up more of Vinyl's lingo." Remarked Magnum who's lying lazily on the couch.

"But exaggerated."

"Sorry, I try to stop now."

*Ding-Dong*

"I'll get it. That must be one of the girls."

"No doubt about that, honey."

Magnum opened the door. Revealing a blue scarf wearing Rarty covered slighty in snow (not that can notice it that much, since she she's almost just as white) with a bag. "Happy Hearth's Warming Eve, Dad." Rarty gave her father a giant hug.

"Happy Hearth's Warming Eve to you too, sweetheart. Come inside."

"Don't mind if I do."

"Rarity!" Sweetie zoomed and embraced her stylish fashionista sista's neck. "Happy Hearth's Warming Eve, Rarity."

"Sweetie, I need to breath." Said Rarty really, really raspy.

"Sorry." Sweetie let her go.

"No matter." Rarty said after deeply inhaling. "Happy Eve, to you Sweetie, and Mom." Rarity muzzled her little sister and hugged her mother. Rarty levitated two presents from her bag under the tree.

"Happy eve." Pearl replied. "Everything's prepared when we need to cook." Pearl eyed her Purple maned daughter. "Since when do you not wear accessories this year, Rarity? Besides the scarf."

"I wanted to be simplistic this year."

"Too bad, I was wondering what you would come with this year."

"Sorry mom."

*Ding-Dong*

"I'll get it." Magnum said again. "My guess that's Vinyl."

Magnum opened the door. Revealing red cape and hat with fluffy edges (and a fluffy tip in the hats case) wearing Rarity, with a bag. "A delightful Hearth's Warming Eve father." Rarity hugged. He was silent. "Something wrong?"

"Yes. Weren't you inside already?" Magnum was clearly confused.

Rarity was also clearly confused. "No. No I was not."

"Heeey, since when are you a ventriloquist Rarity?" Rarity heard her younger sister say inside. She walked inside. And saw Rarty, her doppelgänger.

"Darn it Vinyl, I thought we agreed we would save that trick for April Foals Day." Said Rarity sternly to Vinyl/Rarty.

Vinyl started cracking up. "Sorry sis. I couldn't resist it." Dropping Rarity's already fake accent. "And I wanted to be you again for a little while." Now you could easily see the difference, since Vinyl has the more mischievous eyes out of the two right now. Rarity was admittingly chuckling too. But Rarity's still a little mad that Vinyl didn't keep their promise. "'scuse me dad, but can I go to the bathroom to change myself into me?"

"Sure, go ahead sweetheart." Magnum said. Vinyl took her bag with her. Probably where she stores her disguise and her shades.

"Rarity?" Sweetie said to catch her sister's attention.

"Yes Sweetie, darling?"

"Home come you didn't know that Vinyl was gonna prank us? You two have special twin communication powers right?"

"The synchronized memories?" Sweetie nodded. "You're almost correct, darling. We do have synchronized memories, but it's an unintentional side affect that spell's creator (the one that let's Vinyl and I live separate,) kept in because it, frankly comes in handy. But it wasn't finished, therefore it's inconsistent whenever it does or doesn't work. And if he tried to fix that little thing he might have botched the formula of the whole spell. That what I recall from Twilight's long winded explanation anyway." Rarity was done speaking. Sweetie just mindlessly nodded. "I almost forgot, happy Hearth's Warming Eve, Everypony." Rarity gave her friendly hugs. Vinyl came back around the corner, having her mane, tail, cutie mark and shades back. She chose to wear magenta contacts. "And to you too, Vinyl."

"Again, sorry sis."

"It's not the end of the world dear sister, we just can't prank our family with it anymore, I'm sure we can find someone else prank on. It wouldn't be fun to try it with Fluttershy?"

"I guess it's harmless enough for her. All it be amounting to is 'Psych! I'm actually Vinyl.' and we'll be laughing our flanks off."

"Look at you two. Almost you are two entirely different ponies or something." Pearl said.

"I suppose we have really been our own ponies these last few months. Haven't we Vinyl?"

"Well our personalities have been so accustomed to our roles that we just are ourselves. We also had difference in opinions lately, hadn't we, sis?"

"Yes we had. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we couldn't merge back into one, like 'Tavia and Twilight said we could."

"Have you ever used it?" Sweetie asked.

"Actually no." Rarity replied.

"We never found a use for it." Vinyl finished.

"Truly. Say Mother, are we going to do things differently?"

"Well it depends. Is Vinyl's lover still coming over?" Pearl teased.

"Why you?!" Vinyl said as Rarity and Sweetie held her back from lunging at their mother. Their mother who chuckled by the way.

"Watch your temper Vinyl." Rarity said. "It's undignified."

Vinyl took a deep breath and calmed down. "Sorry." She sighed a little. Her sisters let her go. "I've gotten a nasty temper lately concerning my preferences. There's a reason I'm not visiting that often. Especially with 'Tavi."

"You still make cute couple together." Sweetie said.

"You are not helping, Sweetie." Rarity said.

"Sorry."

"Whatever..." Vinyl deeply sighed.

"You still need to answer her, Vinyl. Is Octavia still coming over?"

"Nah. She's invited at Fancy Pants' holiday party. The private-family-only version."


Fancy Pants' mansion, somewhere in Canterlot, current time: Meanwhile

There weren't many family members present. Basically just Fancy Pants, Fleur, Octavia, her parents, several non-Pinkie cousins. Octavia was bored. Everypony was already taken to talk to. So she was just sitting outside the balcony. The freezing balcony. The freezing balcony on which it's snowing. The freezing balcony on which it's snowing without a scarf. The freezing balcony on which it's snowing without a scarf while drinking a glass of water. Octavia was pretty sure she was catching a cold. In retrospect this was a stupid plan. Octavia went back inside. There was a nice fireplace.

"What's the matter Octavia?" The now pregnant (not that it's noticeable) Fleur-De-Lis asked her niece. "You have the 'I just want to go home look' children usually have."

"How would you know dat?" *Sniffle* Octavia most definitely had a cold now.

"There's nothing wrong with being prepared. I am having a baby after all."

"Dath's some preparathion. AH-Chooo!" She sneezed. With her hoof in front of her mouth.

"Bless you. I am also prepared with blankets for any guests who happened to arrive with a cold."

"Convenienth." Octavia snarked.

"Of course it is. You have a cold. And we have to do something about it." Fleur gave her niece a blanket.

*Sniffle* "Danks aunthie. Have I ever dold you that I liketh you more dan my parenths?"

"Every year Octavia, every year. Reminds me of my parents, just as neglectful. I'm trying to avoid that when I have a baby of my own."

"Soundths like an goodth idea. Ah-chooo!"

"Bless you."

"Dank you. Ugh I feel miserable."

"Homesick?"

"Maybe..."

"Not to rub salt on the wound, but I've always meant to ask you what Ponyville's like."

"It's a quieth thown. dere is a loth do. Dere's almost every month a celebration. And almost everyday a Pinkie Pie Party. Everypony is friendly. And now I'm really homesick. Thank you for that."

"Do you miss your soul mate Vinyl?"

"Why you?!"


Belle residence

"I'm sure she's having the time of her life, darling." Rarity said to Vinyl.

"Somehow I doubt it." Vinyl said.

"Actually, So do I."


Fancy Pants' Mansion

"AH-CHHHOOOOoo!!" Octavia sneezed over a chocolate milk.

"Maybe someone is talking about you." Fleur said.

"I wouldn't be surprised. Everypony in Vinyl's family besides Rarity and Vinyl herself have de dendency do pair us dogether."


Belle residence

"AH-CHHHOOOOoo!!" Vinyl sneezed with hoof in front of her mouth.

"Gesundheit." Magnum, Pearl and Sweetie said unison.

"Thank you. Why were we supposed to come early?"

"Why not?" Pearl said.

"I suppose." Rarity answered for Vinyl. "Who wants to play Monopoly?"


Fancy Pants' Mansion.

"So you're not a le-"

"Don't say dat word." *Sniffle*

"But you would love to spend new years eve close by her side?"

"Dat sums it up."

"That's sweet. Reminds me of our second honeymoon. Except with two mar-"

"Cut it out auntie!"


Belle Residence

"Sweetie dear, what's your secret? I must know." Rarity asked.

"What secret?"

"The secret of how ya play so well." Vinyl explained. "Ya already have several hotels, are not even close to bankrupt and played your cards wisely."

"I dunno. I'm not even sure how this game works, what am I supposed to do?"

Rarity's eye twitched it's safe to assume that Vinyl did so too.

"Let me explain deary." Pearl said.


Fancy Pants' Mansion

"...has beautiful eyes, dey're greenish, she also looks great with those magenta contacts. She's nice. She clearly cares for me. She gets on my nerves." *Sniffle* "And dere's a whole other side to dat mare dat could induce an headache, and de least I need right now's a headache."

"There's no doubt that you are in love, and slightly homesick. Do you want to go home?"

"With dis cold?" *Sniffle*

"I have coat you can borrow. Don't worry, you can adjust it's size."

"But we haven't had dinner yet. It would be impolite not to attend."

"Fancy would understand it. And we'll make the rest understand."

"Can you keep it vague?"

"How do you want to keep it vague?"

"Please, just dell them I just wanted do go home?"

"I will. Happy Heath's Warming Eve Octavia."

"Happy He-Ah-choo!"

"Bless you."

"Dank you. Happy Hearth's Warming Eve do you doo Auntie."


Belle Residence

"I won!" Sweetie shouted.

"Somehow. Good game." Vinyl said.

"Can we play something else?" Sweetie said. "Like Checkers?"

"Do you know to play it, darling?" Rarity asked.

"Sure do! I need to make sure the king can't go anywhere."

"That is chess dear."

"Let's play that, Rarity."

"If you insist."

"I'll sit this one out. Like I have a choice. I'll just be sleeping on that sofa over there till dinner, yanno to pass time." Vinyl levitated her shades onto the table. Everypony the room wished her a good sleep.

Except for Magnum. He felt like he had to ask something. "Vinyl?"

"MMM-Yeah?" Said the curled up mare, she already sounded tired somehow.

"I know we joke about it a lot, Vinyl. But how do you really feel about Octavia?"

"Why do ya wanna know?" Vinyl said annoyed.

"Just curious. Sweetie told me a while ago that she tried to pair you up with her friends. You spend a lot more time with her since your birthday. And you must have a reason for originally wanting her to be here tonight. Maybe you've fallen for her without realizing it."

"Let's pray that only you have fallen for her then. We don't need a love triangle." Rarity chimed in.

"Check!" Sweetie said.

"Wait. Check? Already?"

Back to the conversation, Pearl also had her two bits. "And partially thanks of the reverse psychology we-"

"Forced down my throat?"

"To put it bluntly, yes."

"I am glad I got that of my back almost as soon as it started." Rarity admitted. "How did you? You have half of my pieces already."

"Sorry." Apologized Sweetie.

"I'll ask again:" Magnum said. "How do you feel about 'Tavi?"

"Can I say it without any consequences and letting me have a peaceful nap afterwards?"

"We promise. You're gonna Pinkie Promise us, don't you?"

"Eeyupper."

"We Pinkie Promise."

Vinyl sighed. "...I've fallen in love with her about a week after Sweetie tried pairing us up." She admitted.

Eyebrows were raised. "We thought so, dear." Pearl sounded slightly regretful.

"We did?" Rarity said.

Vinyl jumped off the couch. "No need to disown me now. I'll kick myself out of the family tree." She said in a monotone, for a seemingly good reason. She forgot the Pinkie Promise.

"Wait!" Pearl said.

"Please listen us." Magnum asked.

"I've read enough romance novels to know that I should listen." Vinyl's cracking voice said. Rarity didn't know how to feel, ditto for Sweetie. She wasn't facing them.

They were relieved. "Thank you. You know we like to joke. But we might have gone to far."

Pearl continued. "It feels like we are responsible all responsible for forcing you to fall in love with her." Rarity wanted to object to that, but it was for the best that she didn't. "Even if it's not our fault, we will support you, deary." Magnum, Rarity and Sweetie were agreeing.

Vinyl sighed again as she turned around. There were some tear stains on her face. "Thank ya all." Vinyl slowly approached the sofa she was lying on.

"How and when did it happen, darling?" The definitely straight clone/sister asked, seriously curious.

Vinyl climbed back onto the sofa. "It kinda happened naturally." She kinda sounded like she didn't wanna tell it. But everypony looked with anticipation, she felt she had to. "I started to notice several things, the way she reacts when I annoy her are cute. Her teasing me too, she calling me Sweetie finally got to me. My inner Rarity mannerisms just go crazy for her. And thanks to her that I can spent more time with her. She's always comfortable around me, even what others might say is too close for comfort. Even if we seen very different we have a lot in common. And I also really like her mane, it's an unique style that I've never seen elsewhere. But it ain't anything special when ya get right down to it." Vinyl sighed. "I just kinda love her."

"How romantic. Does Octavia know?"

"No, and if she likes me that way... Well... Time will tell. Can I get my sleep now?" The room echoed 'sure'.

"Checkmate!"

"Congratulations, darling." Rarity happily cringed. "Best two out of three?"


A train wagon

"I could go home, or attend de Belle's house a liddle late. I really should start planning dings out better." Octavia said to herself. "Decisions, decisions, decisions..." Suddenly Octavia had a headache. 'I hope they serve aspirins on this train.'


On the set of the popular show "Rockin' Knights Melodrama", based on a tale written by Rarity Belle. Today's episode: Lady Melody Philharmonica Part 1.

"Lady Melody Philharmonica Part 1, scene 3: Queen Elusive's request!, Action!"

"I know better than just to pass of the blame to you, Sir Scratching." Said Rarity playing the part of Queen Elusive, the queen of Aerope to Vinyl playing the role of Sir Danielle 'Record Scratching' Fortesque. "You are her childhood friend after all, and the mage scan who scanned you detected no lies in you. You are the only one who is competent to entrust with finding my daughter. if. You may marry her as a reward, if she's willing."

"Yes my queen."
"Cut!"
"Lady Melody Philharmonica Part 1, scene 6: Exposition at the bar!, Action!"

"It is my belief that that the evil overlord Fire Bird captured the fair Princess Melody. He's a sentient unknown sub-species of bird, that's on fire twenty-four/seven on fire." Said the grumpy Marecomb Seepgood played by Pinkie Pie.

"That's awesome, and that last bit you muttered was redundant." Vinyl said.

"So is his full title. Just be careful he has an army of Cyber-grizzly-Lightning-Timber-Pony-Wolves of fire on his side. And he's Equestrian."

"Again, awesome. Minus the whole being Equestrian thing."

"Doesn't change the fact the he's potentially dangerous. But he has two major weaknesses."

"I'll pay ya extra if you tell me what they are."

Marecomb laughed. "I was gonna do that anyways. One: He's pyrophobic. Two he's Acrophobic."

Vinyl's mouth hang open. "That's stupid. What business does he have in Aerope?"

"You got me there. Maybe studying magic so he can bring it back to his home land? That's all I know."

"Thank ya, Threepwood."

"Seepgood!"

"Whatever, here's your bits, and I'll stop threatening your brother, for now."

Alfredo Seepgood played by Jumping Jukebox was terrified by Sir Scratching's rapier against his neck. "Yo! Please don't kill me! That totally not cool." The Knight's sword was no longer against his neck. Alfredo sighed in relief.

"It's gonna happen one day brother," Marecomb 'comforted' her brother. "don't you deny it."
"Cut."
"Lady Melody Philharmonica Part 1, scene 8: Up her arsesal, Action!"

"Your majesty! I figured out where your daughter might be located!"

"Splendid! Where is she Sir Scratching?"

"In the underwater tower of wood of fire."

The Queen gasped. "You mean she's captured by Hydro Worm!? The worm made out of so called 'Hydro?'"

"Close enough, It's actually Fire Bird."

"That's a dumb place for him to hide. ½ miles under the sea, in a flammable base..."

"Actually, no." Sir Scratching.

"He could easily touch the wall and flood the whole bloody thing."

"Besides that implausibility it's logical for him to hide there."

"That sense didn't make sentence. Oops."
"CUT!"

"That sentence doesn't make any sense."

"That's besides the point Queenie. Under the sea is the perfect place for him to hide. He's afraid of heights and fire."

Every guard, mage, servant and Queen laughed their flanks off.

"It's not that funny." Vinyl deadpanned. Once everypony collected there cool Sir Scratching explained the dangers she'd be up against.

"Hmm I see... As my possible future daughter-in-law you need to be properly equipped." The queen stomped her hoof three times. A wall behind her opened up. "Here's my personal arsenal: My collection of swords, my golden shields, spears, bombs, clubs, war-hammers, axes, throwing daggers, a magic cane, dragon armour, crossbows, long bows, lighting magic scroll, a skeletal arm, pistols, blunderbusses (my personal favorite), a Gatling gun and a rubber-chicken-with-a-pulley-in-the-middle."
"Cut."
"Lady Melody Philharmonica, scene 12: The climb, Action!"

I'll do anything in my power to stop ya from... Whatever you're planning with her! Because I care about her! And she doesn't deserve being imprisoned!

"BWRRAAAAaaaaaawk!" Went the medieval intercom. "Just try to stop me Danielle, I can hear your loud stomping upstairs. That means you're nearby. You broke my favorite porcelain hippogriff. Prepare to die."

"How do you know my name?"

"That doesn't matter! Bwraaawk! Okay minions, start dancing. Copy their moves and they'll let you go!"

"What if I don't?"

"They'll dispose of you with casual prejudice! Bwraaawk! And believe me, it's a lot more painful then it sounds."
"Cut."
"Lady Melody Philharmonica, scene 15: The reunion crasher, Action!"

Sir Scratching bursted through the door. "Ouch..."

"Danielle!" A familiar happily voice shouted.

Sir Scratching looked to her left to see the alicorn Princess Melody played by Octavia, chained by her hind leg. "Melody!" Sir Scratching hugged her.

"Bwraawk! Shouldn't we tackle and capture her now, sir?!" The screeching intercom voice said behind them.

"Caw?" I said. It translates to: (No, why would I ruin a moment like this?)

"Bwraaaawk! Because she's the enemy!"

"Caw?" (Would you want me to do this to you the next time you're in a similar situation?)

"No, Bwraak!"

"Caw." (Then let them have their moment.) Sir Scratching turned around. Seeing a golden hued parrot with an bandanna and a glass eye and me, Fire Bird. "Caw." I said.

"Bwraaawk! He said: So you're finally here." My parrot pal translated for me.

"What? The Fire Bird cannot speak?." Sir Scratching said.

"Caw. Caw. Caw. Caw!"

"Bwraawk! That's A Fire Bird, thank you. And I'm not proud of it thank you. I'm Pyrite Parrot his translator. It's time for you to suffer for breaking my porcelain narwhal."

"Wasn't it a hippogriff?"

"Caw! Caw-caw, caw." (Whatever! Pyrite Parrot. Here's my favorite blanket. You know how to use it.) I winged over a shoddily stitched together cape over to Pyrite.

"Yeah, I know how to use it. So I'm supposed to cast that spell on the princess?"

"Caw." (Yes.) I deadpanned at his specificness.

"What are you planning to do to me?" The princess asked nervously.

"You'll see." Pyrite said taking the words out of my beak. "BRAAaaawk, Kazeem-Kazaam-Kazoom!" Melody was now a glass statue, a statue made out of glass. I laughed quietly, it slowly became really loud. My evil bird laugh sounds kinda pathetic in retrospect.

"No!" Sir Scratching screamed in tears and rage. Out of rage she pulled out a rubber chicken-with-a-pulley-in-the-middle. And with she smacked me and Pyrite dead (pulleys really hurt). But she accidentally shattered the glass Princess Melody. Sir Scratching was just plain broken. And then she died. Because I said so!


"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Vinyl gasped awake.

"You were muttering in your sleep, seems like you had an interesting dream." Pearl said.

"I did. Can't wait when 'Tavi returns."

"What? Back from the dead?" Magnum said.

"Wha?" Vinyl said confused.

"Don't you remember Vinyl?" Magnum looked uneasy telling her this. "She's killed years ago. The Octavia you've been mostly living with a changeling. And you didn't realize it. She also tinkered with your mind."

"It- it- can't be true."

"But it is."

"What happened to the changeling?" Hoping that the changeling was the pony she prank, annoys and loves.

"A doses of bug-spray took her out easily." Sweetie said.


"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Vinyl gasped awake at a funeral. Vinyl thinking it's Octavia's, sobbed. "'Tavi..."

"Yeah, Vinyl?"

Vinyl jumped back a bit. "'Tavi!?"

"Not so loud. This is Fluttershy's funeral."

"That's a relief. Wait. That's just as bad."


"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Vinyl gasped awake. And this time seemingly for real.

"Are you okay, Sweetie?" A familiar grey voice said, with seemingly a cold. Vinyl recognized it immediately.

"'TAVI!!" Vinyl threw at herself at her friend.

Octavia was enjoying it, but there's no doubt that's she confused why Vinyl's bear-hugging her, normally when Vinyl hugs her like this she's drunk. The rest were just looking at them, not wanting to intervene with this possible future couple. "Please tell me you're not a changeling." Brows were raised.

"Had a nightmare?" Octavia reasoned. Vinyl nodded against her neck. "Do you want to dalk about it?"

"I don't think I can tell it and live it down. All I'll say is that it involved you, a ridiculous amount of fake-outs and death." Vinyl held her tighter. "And man, your nose sounds stuffed and what're ya doing here anyway?"

"Felt homesick. Or just sick. I got better on the way back."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Vinyl echoed back what Octavia said three paragraphs ago.

"No. I just strangely missed you. Even the bits I can't stand. Partially thanks to the headache I earned through a cold."

"Ya're such a sweet talker." Vinyl rubbed her head against Octavia's neck again. "That's why I love you. Oops, I let that slip, didn't I?" Vinyl loosened her grip just in case.

"Don't worry Sweetie. It's mutual. I realized that I love just today." Vinyl tightened her grip in happiness.

"What a coincidence."

"See Sweetie. That is how relationships should happen. They happen naturally." Rarity whispered. It was debatable if that will ever process through Sweetie's skull, as she was to busy mentally scratching them of her ship list. "I'm jealous. An alternate version of me has found a special somepony before I did."

The parents were filming this.

"Can you let me go of me now, Vinyl?" Octavia said with little air. "You're stronger than you think you are, I'm sure."

"Sorry." Vinyl let go of Octavia. Octavia felt she needed to stretch now, as she did so she sniffled again. "I'm sure mom's cooking will help you with the cold."


Later... After dinner.

"Your celery-tomato-kumquat-grape fruit-melon surprise was delicious, Pearl. Was it made out of?" Asked Octavia stupidly.

Pearl was lifting the dishes. "It's made out of the blood of the innocence." Octavia's eyes grew before she realized that she was kidding.

"Good one." Octavia sarcastically replied.

"Ah. I remember when you said to Little Vinyl and Sweetie Belle. Their reactions were priceless." Magnum said as his daughters looked sheepish.

"To answer your question, Octavia. It's made of celery, tomatoes, kumquats, grape fruits, several kinds of melons, along with several other fruits and vegetables and topped all off with a secret ingredient that makes it edible."

*BURP!!* Vinyl loudly and shamelessly let out. It made Sweetie laugh on the inside.

"Vinyl!" Rarity yelled.

"Mind your table manners." Octavia followed up on. Both know that she will do it are slim.

"She doesn't really have to." Magnum said.

"Besides, ya all know I have them." Vinyl said. They nodded in agreement.

"I think we talked enough about food and table manners." Pearl gave her opinion. "Why don't we open the presents now?"

"Don't ponies usually open the presents before dinner?" Octavia asked.

"They do?" Sweetie said.

"We always did it like this, 'Tavi." Vinyl said.

"Okay then... I'll just watch you opening presents." Octavia said.

"I brought your present as well."

Octavia just looked at her friend/love(?). "But I was supposed to be at my Uncle's mansion, shouldn't it be at home?"

"Fleur once told me that never hurts to prepared. So I brought your present just in case."

"I'm not sure how to classify that. Fate? A lucky guess? Hope?"

"I'm gonna answer that question with a yes. But it might have been a mix of hope and luck." And incompetence on on my part, because this chapter originally started out differently. But I digress.

"It's nice that you always think of me, Sweetie."

"You're welcome. And for the umpteenth time, only when the others aren't around. We have three Sweeties here, and one actually answers to that name."

"It doesn't bother me." Sweetie II said.

"Okay Swee- Vinyl. Doesn't quite have the same ring to it." Octavia lamented. "It's nothing major, I guess."

Later... Like, now sitting at the tree later.

"In my hat I have everypony's name written down on a folded piece of paper. Who I pull out gets to open her present." Magnum explained.

"We know./We know./We know." The daughters said. In Vinyl's and Rarity's case it was deadpan. For Sweetie's case it was just pan.

"But our newcomer doesn't. Speaking of which, I need to write her name down."

As Magnum wrote her name down, Rarity further explained how this works. "We each get a present for the pony we pulled from a similar game to this. For example: if Vinyl pulled Sweetie Belle she has to get her something."

"Kinda childish if you ask me. Not that is a bad thing." Octavia replied.

"Done." Magnum said. He shook his hat and pulled a name out. "Honey bunch, this one's from me." He lifted Pearl's gift over to her. It was flat.

Pearl open it revealing a voucher for. "Another vacation? Deary, you shouldn't have." Pearl kissed Magnum on the cheek.

"Again?" Octavia whispered.

"I'm resisting the urge to faint." Rarity whispered rather casually.

"Ditto." Her twin said.

"I don't feel anything." Sweetie said.

Magnum pulled another one out. "Sweetie Belle."

"That one's from me, Darling." Rarity said.

It was a moderately sized box. Inside were three revamped Cutie Mark Crusader Capes. Sweetie beamed. Rarity deserved a hug, so she received one.

Another was pulled. "Rarity."

"We have each other, sis!" Sweetie said.

It was a tiny box. Rarity opened it, it was a necklace. "It's beautiful, darling. Even if it's made out of plastic." Rarity was honest. But it's probably something she wouldn't wear in public.

Another has the privilege to be pulled. "Me." It was the size of a book.

"It's from me, dad." Vinyl said.

"It's a copy of 'How not embarrass your daughter above her teenage years for dummies.' subtle. I'll read it one day."

"Do it before Sweetie gets old enough."

Next one. "Vinyl."

"Must be from mom." Vinyl figured.

"Indeed." Pearl confirmed.

'Twas a box. "A new headphone. Thanks mom, I needed another reserve." Vinyl said. Genuinely happy with it.

"The last one's for Octavia."

"You know from who it is... Darn it. I can't think of another affectionate nickname for you, other than ''Tavi' anyway." Vinyl said.

"'Tavi is enough." Octavia said smiling. It was an kinda flat but large rectangle box, like a painting. Octavia shook it, she could barely hear the results. Maybe it was a pair of socks like Vinyl gave her last year, and every year before. "Are the-"

"They're not socks. Just open it, 'Tavi."

'Tavi did just that. "Wow..." It was a framed cross-stitched portrait of herself. It seemed to be carefully crafted. "It's beautiful, Vinyl."

"A beauty ain't she? I thought that you deserved an ego boost this year. She I did it in the fanciest way I could think of."

"It's certainly impressive, it's too bad I already knew about it." Rarity said. The rest gave their opinions too.

They had all several conversations afterwards, but Everypony grew tired eventually. They all went their separate ways, to whatever bed they regular sleep in. But not before saying good bye of course.

On their way home the musical couple were negotiating their relationship. "Should we start dating like a couple?" Vinyl asked.

"Sounds great, Sweetie." Octavia answered while muzzling her friend's neck.

"Alright! Have any ideas where and how we should do it?"

Octavia was physically thinking. Yes, and I think you'll enjoy it.


Meanwhile, in a hired Sweet Apple Acres barn. Known on Hearth's Warming Eve as "The loner bar", for the unfortunate adults who don't have a family (or a family who doesn't want them) to spend the night and/or drink away their problems. Two of the five "pointless characters" of the main story were hanging out there.

"...and even the at times flirty Vinyl and her sister I never knew she had are not into me. Ever felt so pathetic that you can't talk properly to them mares?" A depressed Jumping Jukebox asked to his old school mate. "Or just plain pathetic?"

"A lot actually." Said the jaded Dumb Ester Luck. "Most examples go right back to my name."

"Big surprise there," Those three words were filled with sarcasm and annoyance. Complete with an eye roll. "sucks to be you I guess."

"Yup, sucks to be me indeed." Mr. Luck said with sincerity. "But I've been feeling slightly better as of late. I cheated Death." He said in an unenthusiastic tone. "After being killed by a football of all things. That was pretty pathetic too."

"It totally was. How did you get back to life anyway?" He was curious. "Did ya spit in Death's eye?" Juke said with a spit motion.

"I..." Luck was trying to recall. "honestly have no idea."

"Well, it don't matter, you're alive now, you do live up to your name ya know?"

"Just partially."

There was silence between them. But not in the barn. IT. WAS. LOUD!

*Sigh* Why does my parents reject me? Jukebox asked himself.

"Lemme guess," Luck took a tone of slyness. "the same reason why I'm alive?"

"Hm-mmm."

"For no good reason?"

"Yes." Juke cried a little on the inside. "Waiter! More milk please."


Vinyl's house, the balcony, New years eve.

The musical ponies were lying against each other on the balcony. They snuggled each other with a passion, smiling while they share a blanket in which they're wrapped in.

Author's Note:

This is the true ending. The actual bonus chapters have yet to be written, but you might have read one of them. So if the continueity seemed off, that's why. But everything is cannon.
It's also my first real shot at romance, hence the several uses of the word 'special' in the title. I wanna know well you thought I handled it. That I know what genre to avoid writing. Personally I think I rushed it, but it's not entirely unbelievable.


Dropped Idea: Magnum's father (Kreativiteit van Belle) and Pearl's mother (Diamond Tiara (coincidence)) came to visit.

Comments ( 6 )

The dream part had me lost???:rainbowhuh:

6579430
So wait, you're telling me that no one else saw through that?:ajbemused:

6579483 It was my experiment at Subtly. And yes, and if they did they kept quiet about it.

6579565
You did a good job with the subtlety. I suspected but wasn't exactly sure until it said in the letter, 'Starry Skies, of the moon.' That was the clue that tipped me off.:scootangel:

7021403 Surprised you went to the trouble, honestly.

Login or register to comment