• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 2,506 Views, 47 Comments

The Club's Connected to the Boutique - firebirdabirdoffire



After an interview Octavia was curious about of her best friend, she was acting odd around them, and then she realized that she doesn't know much about her herself. So after the night of her DJ-ing Octavia follows her back home...

  • ...
5
 47
 2,506

Carousel Boutique Starring: Rarity, Sweetie Belle and today's guest star: Octavia

Somewhere, where Rarity usually digs for gems...

"Scootaloo, are ya shore this will work?" Questioned Applebloom.

"Of course, I know what to do with this powder." Said Scootaloo confidently.

"How do you know how to use it and where did you find the powder?" Asked Sweetie Belle.

"I got it from Pinkie Pie. And I know how it works. Trust me, my former orphanage caretakers showed how to do this. It will be as awesome as new-years fireworks!" Scootaloo was a little over excited. "And maybe we get finally get our cutie marks."

"Is it safe?" Said Sweetie Belle curiously.

"No. But it is with these vests Pinkie Pie gave to me along with the powder, I promised her that we return them after use. No Pinkie Promise, just a regular one." Scootaloo hooved over two over-sized and bulky vests "Put them on. Better put your saddle bags in it too. For safety." The girls did so. Scootaloo also put one on herself.

"Are you rlly shore thi' will protect us from the dynamite explosion?" Questioned Applebloom. "Somhow Ah doubt tha' blowing up that rock for ain't worth it."

"It shoul- Oh wait almost forgot." She pulled out something (with some difficulty) from her saddlebag. "With these earplugs and glasses we should be completely safe."

"If you say so." Said Sweetie Belle.

"CUTIEMARK CRUSADERS DEMOLITIONISTS YAAY!!!!!"


Around half-a-hour earlier. Outside Vinyl's club.

"Alright, I got more than enough time to browse for dresses at the 'Carousel Boutique'. Now where can I find it?" She asked the nearest Pony. It was funnily enough a Pure Blue Pegasus stallion with a clover cutie mark. "Excuse me but I need directions to the 'Carousel Boutique'. Do you happen to know where it is?"

"Oh that's easy, just go straight into alley until-" Methinks you don't need to know rest. "And then you're there." He explained just normally.

"Thank you Mister."

"Luck." He said thinking she asked for his name.

Octavia started walking to her destination once again. Her mind had a scratch (the lowest form of a mind blow). 'Seems like Vinyl didn't make him up, do I need to go out more? And we had an unfinished conservation we needed to finish that involved him somehow. Now what was it about again?' She could not remember. She was still walking until a realization made her facehoof. A facehoof that hit her half as hard as her Cello could. 'You know what's a good idea Octavia? Bringing your saddlebag and purse along to a boutique.' She trotted towards home. On her way she saw Vinyl galloping quickly towards home in the distance. She seemed in a hurry, Octavia did not know why. So she raised an eyebrow. When Octavia arrived home there was no sign of her friend. That and the door to her room was locked again. "What a surprise..." Said Octavia flatly. She pressed her right ear against Vinyl's door... Nothing. 'Strange, but nothing unusual for Vinyl.' She went to her room grabbed her bag with her purse in it. Now she was ready for some shopping.


A trip that-wasn't-noteworthy-enough later... (Besides that Octavia almost tripped.)

"Wait, I know this building." Said Octavia to herself in front of the front door of Carousel Boutique. "I should have figured that the carousel shaped building was Carousel Boutique. And how many times have I missed that 'Carousel Boutique' sign?" She opened the door.

*Tuh-Ring* Rang the bell. And a white unicorn hurried from upstairs to downstairs. Her mane was a mess. She was panting too. "Welcome to... Carousel Boutique. Where everything is... chic, unique and... magnifique...." Said you know who.

"Are you sure? You don't look so chic and magnifique at the moment. But you are unique right now, I can give you that." Snarked Octavia.

The unicorn smirked at her comment. She stopped panting. "I'm dreadfully sorry, I've been dealing with..." A brief thinking pause. "a little stress..." She said quietly, bitterly and somehow still politely. "The door bell ringing didn't help."

"I'm sorry." Said Octavia apologetically.

"No don't be, I'll just patch everything as quick as I can and fix my mane, in the meantime feel free to look around."

"Okay." The white pony who I shall not name (even though I already did in earlier chapters, that and it's already pretty obvious who she is) until Octavia knows for herself went back upstairs, Octavia looked around as suggested. She was pretty impressed by the fashionista's work. 'She must have a huge creative sparks. These are so beautiful, too bad I made my decision: none of these until I know for sure what suits me.' She looked at the lazy cat in a basket in a corner, just so I can check if I remember Opal exists. Then she spotted a commissioned green and orange dress. Octavia giggled at dress. But not because it was painful to look at and make anypony wonder who in the right mind would want one of those. 'Vinyl would love that one.' She thought to herself imaging Vinyl wearing that abomination.

"Ahem." Octavia turned her head to where the sound came from, the stairs. "Let's start over, shall we?" The white pony looked refreshed, her mane had a curl now and so did her tail. And she spoke with an elegant tone not unlike herself. "Welcome to Carousel Boutique. Where everything is chic, unique and magnifique. How can I help you?" She put up a smile.

"I'm looking for a dress for my uncle's birthday get together."

The shop keeper observed the musician. "Yeah I can work with that, I already envisioned the perfect dress for Fancy Pants' birthday. Are you willing to measure for the dress?" Octavia was about to answer but...

*BOOM!!* weeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh! *CRasH!!!* Went the sound outside in front of the entrance. As a fast shadow zoomed by the window. It attracted a small crowd of ponies mostly only in the general vicinity.

"Pardon me." Said the dress maker, as she went to the entrance/exit. She saw an unconscious white filly in a over sized vest with a singed mane. "SWEETIE BELLE!!" That caught Octavia's attention. The purple maned pony held her hoof where Sweetie's heart should be. "Thank goodness she's alive. Quick, help me bring her that sofa!" No hospital was brought up that day. Octavia immediately helped the white unicorn bring the unconscious white unicorn filly to the Drama Sofa™, they took of that vest and pulled out the emergency blanket drawer out of the sofa to wrap Sweetie Belle in it. Her saddle bag was put aside. "I'm not sure what happened, but I'm glad you're okay, dear little sister." Said the shop keeper gladly/sadly to the sleeping filly while hugging her. "Please don't let it be something I have to punish you for." She broke the hug and levitated a pair scissors to her to snip off the singed part of her mane. "Thanks for help." She was referring to Octavia of course.

"It was nothing. It did happen so suddenly however. I have yet to take it all in." Said the cellist sincerely. She tried her best to process what happened. While it did that it came across something said earlier that day. "Did you say that you two are sisters?"

The unicorn gulped "Yes." She said blandly.

"Are you per chance 'Rarity Belle'?"

"Yes I am."

"That's just convenient, now I don't need to find you later. I want to discuss something with you."

"If we must. But can we do that after you answered my question: 'Are you willing to measure for the dress?' We can do it during it. And after that's done we can do it over a cup of tea."

"I say we do it that way, it's the most sensible way."

"Agreed then, now if you would sit over there." Rarity (I can finally use less syllables) pointed to the place where she usually did her measuring. Octavia sat, and Rarity started measuring.

"Sweetie Belle had told me and my friend (DJ P0N-3) that you said nasty things about DJ P0N-3. Despite you know barely anything about her, and vice-versa." 'Though this begs the question why Vinyl sent me here. Words on the street are wise apparently' "Before you say anything I am going to refer her as Vinyl from now on, I never was really fond of her stage name."

Rarity sighed "Yes, yes I have."

"May I ask why?"

"Gossip sections in fashion magazines." Rarity said bluntly as she put her glasses on, always important to know.

'That's 'lady' for word on the street. Not to mention déjà vu. Well time for a speech.' "You should know better than believing those sections, Vinyl is a sweet if annoying mare."

Rarity cringed, smirked and then laughed on the inside, not that Octavia could tell with back turned and all. "I admit it was rude of me to assume all this. I apologize." She said just to get this over with quickly.

"Don't apologize, Vinyl made it worse."

"*Gasp* How?" Said Rarity with little seriousness.

"She called you a 'Four-hooved white narwhal'-" She was interrupted.

"That scoundrel, nobody insul-" SHE was interrupted.

"Please hear me out on this, she said this in front of your sister, she seems to love you like one too. She may have hurt her feelings. And you two are daughters of Magnum and Pearl Belle. And those two are good friends of ours and we wouldn't ruin the friendship we have. That and I hate imaging a child hurt emotionally."

"Oh, that's it? Do not worry; my parents couldn't be angry even if you tried. Well I can think of a few exceptions... But you'll have to really try and have a black heart." Said Rarity reassuring Octavia.

"And I don't feel insulted at all." Cracked a voice, which surprised the adults. "And I am not hurt, that vest absorbed all the damage."

"Sweetie, I'm glad you're alright." Said Rarity sincerely. "How long have you been conscious?" She asked.

"During most of the conversation, I was thinking about a few things. Like; what is Octavia doing here?" Octavia waved. "And I suddenly just realized how much you two sound alike."

"We do not." Said Rarity disagreeing.

"I see some similarities. We both sound like upper-class ponies, but not much else." Said Octavia agreeing.

"See?" Said Sweetie.

Rarity rolled her eyes. "'Ta--" *Cough* "Excuse me. Um... Octavia do you mind if I talked to Sweetie Belle for at most half an hour?" She asked.

"Not at all."

"Now Sweetie Belle, tell me who or what happened that made you fall out of the sky."

"Cutie Mark Crusaders Demolitionists." She said with a cheery tone. "Oh that reminds me..." She looked at her flank. "Aw..."

Both Octavia and Rarity were stunned. "C-C-Cut-t-tie M-Mark Crusssader'sss D-D-Demol-l-lit-tionists?!" Said Rarity shakily, while Sweetie just nodded, the smile she might have had faltered. "Darling, that is most likely the most dangerous and dumb things your group has ever done. Please tell me there was somepony to make sure you were safe."

'Does Scootaloo's disturbing knowledge about explosives count?' "Yes."

"Hmmmmm, I'll just have to trust you on this one." Said Rarity. "Just, don't do something that foolish ever again. Mother wouldn't be happy if she happens to outlive you." Rarity embraced her little sister.

"We won't." Said Sweetie who unconsciously set her 'lesson-forget' timer to tomorrow.

Octavia might have shed a tear. I wouldn't know, this is a text based media after all, so I can't see.

"I have something for you Rarity. Where did you put my bag?" Rarity pointed in the that-wards direction. "I wanted to give you this on your birthday," She pulled out a piece paper. "But since your favorite musician is here..." Octavia smiled, she knew what she was going to do. "This is for you sis." She hooved it over to her sister.

Rarity had her hoof in front of her mouth as she chuckled. Octavia raised an eyebrow at the laughter. Rarity levitated the autograph in front of her glasses. "Does it read 'Octavia' and 'DJ P0N-3' followed with 'Happy Birthday Rarity!!' all in different writing styles?"

"It should. I wrote it partially." Said Octavia.

"It does Rarity." Said Sweetie Belle.

"Aw, thank you Sweetie." She hugged her sister. "I'm framing it tomorrow."

Sweetie Belle sang an early and small verse of Happy Birthday.

"Aw indeed, I can see the love in the entire family. And that was some marvelous singing there; would you like to take some music lessons?"

"I'd love too!" Sweetie said shouted.

"How much will it cost?" Said Rarity with a fake straight face.

"I don't want to charge anything for teaching a daughter of two friends of mine. We can do this once in a week. If they agree."

"I will ask them."

"Okay, can I get a pen and paper? You'll need my address in case that you're allowed it would be nice to inform me." Given, written and hooved over the paper. And then something popped in into her mind a little late. "Say, Miss Belle. Why did you ask what was written on the autograph?"

"Please call me Rarity, all my friends do. And as for that well... When I was younger I was almost blinded by some gems with light reflecting off them. I had to wear glasses or contact lenses ever since."

"Ouch, my apologies that I brought it up then."

"Don't be sorry, it gave me my Cutie Mark in return. And Sweetie do NOT try that."

"Yes Rarity." Said Sweetie. "It's getting late, I'm going home now. Bye."

"Goodbye Sweetie, Say hello to our parents for me."

"Say hello for me too... again." Said Octavia.

"Will do." And she left.

...

"Where were we?" Asked Octavia.

"I was measuring you." Replied Rarity.

"That's right! Speaking of which much will it cost?"

Rarity began calculating "Well, let's see... The fabric...... And the style.... go great with your eyes..... cutie mark... I'll tell you what; I'll do it for free."

Octavia was shocked. "Free?! Why!?"

Rarity just said; "You are the niece of Fancy Pants. He and his family deserves something in return for him just being the perfect example of a gentlecolt." She said it rather dreamily too.

"In that case you won't hear me complain. Unless strings are attached."

Rarity shook her head. "There are none."

"Okay. Wait... How do you know I'm Fancy Pants' niece? That isn't known all that well."

"He told me?"


Later that evening. After that's all over.

"Good-bye. I'll contact you once it's finished." Rarity said

"Okay, good-bye." Octavia went to the door.

"Feel free to come over every once in a while." Rarity waved.

"I'll keep that in mind." *Sigh* 'This day was weirdly spent; it was nice to see the relationship of those sisters. That must have been the sweetest thing I have seen in months. I should do something nice like that for Vinyl's birthday? When is her birthday? I lived with her how long and I don't know. What kind of friend am I?'


Meanwhile, House of the Belles.

"Hello deary, how was your day?" Said Pearl Belle.

"It was okay... I guess." Said Sweetie with little energy.

"'Okay', Did something terrible happen?"

Sweetie told the story, Rainbow's supervising, the interview, the crusading, the landing, Octavia at the boutique, the early gift and the fact that Vinyl, Octavia and Rarity said hi.

"That doesn't sound like a bad day." Said Magnum.

"Well Rarity said she's a big fan big fan of Octavia, but she definitive didn't show it when she was in the building or when I gave her the autograph." Sweetie said disappointed.

"Well we might know the reason..." Admitted her father. "But only Rarity will know for certain."

"Please tell me."

"It's Pinkie Promised."

"Aw..."

Author's Note:

This chapter is dedicated to my recently deceased grandmother. As is in a few minutes earlier as I'm writing this.
R.I.P. Grandma, 20-05-13, died the day before her birthday.
Rarity being near sighted is head canon for me ever since I saw her glasses, don't know why. It's most likely not the case however.
Deleted unimportant line: 'It is a wise idea if you go shopping that you should do it with some bits Octavia.' from octavia. after the facehoof.
My trusty laptop was absent for a while, I played the Rayman Lemons Challenge Apple (Highly additive) and of course the unfortunate incident involving my Grandmother:fluttershbad::pinkiesad2:. Those are the excuses for now.
Tell me your opinion of how I write Octavia, this will not affect the story what's so ever I'm just curious.
This personally feels to fast-paced.
Edited by Manshadow3
02-09-13 or 3?-08-13 My Granpa died (cause: accidental car/caravan crash followed by cerebral hemorrhage). Figures that happens around the 3rd party editing (which I'm grateful for). It all goes full circle.