• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 2,506 Views, 47 Comments

The Club's Connected to the Boutique - firebirdabirdoffire



After an interview Octavia was curious about of her best friend, she was acting odd around them, and then she realized that she doesn't know much about her herself. So after the night of her DJ-ing Octavia follows her back home...

  • ...
5
 47
 2,506

Slightly Subtle Setup (Maybe)

The Club's Connected to the Boutique.
By firebirdabirdmadeoutoffire
Edited by Manshadow3

It was a slow day at the CMC club house. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were boring off their little hooves waiting for Scootaloo to arrive. They wanted to make an interview for the school news paper, and maybe earn their cutie marks in the progress. They had learned their lesson as Gabby Gums and they thought, let's do something more harmless. So they thought about and came to the conclusion that it would be fun to interview ponies about their day-to-day work. Scootaloo wanted to pick to the the first pony to interview, she was really enthusiastic about it, giddy even. It took a whi- "Hey guys! Sorry it took a while."

"Finally!" Exclaimed Sweetie lying upside down on the newly added couch

"Wha' took ya so long?" Asked Applebloom

"Well I had to ask her indirectly, her security had to send the message to each other. They said she will do it gladly for a loyal fan." Said Scootaloo proudly

"Security?"

"Who is 'her' exactly? Are we gonna interview Rainbow Dash?" Sweetie Belle asked

"Naw. She doesn't have security yet." Scootaloo answered the stupid question "And since I live with Rainbow now that would have been far too obvious. So I went for the next best thing."

"Rarity?" Guessed Sweetie Belle.

"No, And I give you two more guesses"

"Is it Granny Smith?" That was Applebloom's guess.

"If you wanna embarrass yourself again. And besides we already know what she did for Ponyville. So no."

"Mayor Mare?"

"NO! I wasn't planning on to interviewing clowns" *Shudders* "No I somehow managed to reserve an interview DJ P0N-3! and Octavia...... tommorrow!"

"Octavia!! Really?!" Shouted Sweetie Belle "She's Rarity's favorite musician! So we get to interview her too?!"

"Yeah that was one of the two conditions we must go by. 'Only if Octavia gets in on the action' That's what the bodyguard said"

"So wha's the other?" Asked Applebloom.

"Adult supervision... Do you know any adults who would want to look after us?"

"Do our sisters count as adults? I'm sure Rarity would love to have an autograph of Octavia. And if that doesn't work I'll ask mom and dad!" Sweetie was excited.

"Ah'm ask'n Applejack, Big Macintosh and Granny Smith. At least one of 'em has to say 'Eeyup'"

"I think Rainbow said something about being friends with the awesome DJ, I'm asking her then. She is also just as much of a fan as I am of her."

"It's settled then, let's meet back here tomorrow 'nd see how it's gunna go." Proclaimed Applebloom.


*Meanwhile at Fluttershy's cottage*
"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS ADULT SUPERVISION SEEKERS YAY!!!!!"


A few hours earlier. In DJ P0N-3's club: Vinyl's Dressing Room

"Tell her this; I'll do this because I love my fans, but only on two conditions... 1: She and her friends must have adult supervision and 2: And only if Octavia gets in on the action."

"What?" Said Vinyl's friend lying down a couch.

"Tell the kids to meet us backstage after tomorrow's show is over" Those were the words spoken by Vinyl Scratch AKA DJ P0N-3.

"Immediately ma'am." Said the security pony as he left the room, unbeknownst to him Vinyl being a part time prankster that she is placed a 'Kick me' sign on his hind. All the while chuckling.

Her best friend, roommate and Cello player, Octavia Philharmonica sighed at this behavior. Sometimes she wondered why she was was friends with Vinyl. Several years ago Vinyl started out as a fan girl towards her when she first moved in from Canterlot to Ponyville. That annoyed and confused Octavia to no end. 'Why would a Disc-Jockey like her love my music? I thought the only thing they made was that dreadful 'Wubstep' type of music.' They eventually became good friends and things became more clear. Vinyl has been practicing on a Cello when she was little. Vinyl never could get the hang of it. Or any music instrument for that matter. But she LOVED music very much she had to find another way. That way was DJ-ing. In fact she created a whole new music craze: Wubstep. Which ironically she regrets ever inventing it because it's all the crowd ever wants anymore. No more classical music remix into hip-hop, just Wubstep (But she doesn't complain. It pays really well). She always respected Octavia for her dedication to the instrument she never could play as a child. And over the years they grew very close. In fact they grew so close Octavia now lives with her in Vinyl's house happily ever after.

Show don't tell? Never heard of it. Hope you like exposition.

"Octy? Hello?" Vinyl waved her hoof in front of her "Equus to the harmonica named Phil"

"Oh sorry there I was day dreaming for moment there, where were we?" Asked the sleepy head.

"Well the club security said some kids wanted to interview me for their schools news paper, so I had the security guard move back and forward to make a deal with kids, and I said I’d only do it if you're getting interviewed too." Said Vinyl full of chuckles as she playfully patted Octavia's back "But you knew that already." Octavia was about to say something about the interview, but... "And since you said 'What?' in the middle of it I figured that you wanted to say something about it."

"Indeed I do Vinyl. It's sweet and all of you that you do this for a school news paper. But do you know who is going to interview us?"

"Nope! But that's part of the fun, not knowing what to expect." Said Vinyl with a prideful pose.

*Facehoof* "For all you know these kids could be a rabid die-hard fans who wants you to sign everything they own." Argued Octavia.

"Relax 'Tavi" Smirked Vinyl as she lied down on the couch with her front hooves behind her head. "If it really is a school project I'm willing to help, I love helping kids. Unless they’re giant jerks of course. As my reason why I included you..."

And why must I join this interview?" Said Octavia (she wasn't very social around other ponies other then Vinyl and her band members).

"Honest Answer?" Octavia nodded "You are getting over shadowed by me a lot, and it seemed unfair to me. So I'm giving you some more much needed publicity."

"Once a huge fan always a huge fan I suppose." Octavia rolled her eyes. There was some silence in between. "What would have been the dishonest answer been?" She said that out of curiosity.

"To annoy you. Which isn't too far from the truth." *giggle*

"Since when do you giggle?" Questioned the more sophisticated mare "Normally you do that annoying chuckle that happens after you make a joke or prank somepony."

If the shades didn't hide her face as much she would have seen a shocked face "That's a weird thing to take notice of..." Vinyl said with a flat tone.

"Something wrong?"

"No nothing is wrong" Faking her usual tone.

"You don't sound too sure" Spoke Octavia with a concerned tone.

"But I am. Oh look at the time show starts in 10 minutes, Octy."

"Alright. I'm going home." Octavia got off the couch. "See you soon, Vinyl."

"'Kay bye 'Tavi" She waved a hoof as Octavia left the room and the door closed.

*Sigh* "Phew, I dodged a bullet there. Not that there was one to dodge. Well time to prepare myself for the show.
First things first; start sooner than normal this time..."


Hours later Sweet Apple Acres, in the living room

"We're sorry Applebloom but AJ 'nd Ah are going to be bucking trees to th' bone tomorrow" Said Mr. McMacintosh himself. "Ah hope we've not disappointing you too much"

"Naw, Ah can ask Grann-"

"Nope." Mac interrupted "Ah've been there once and Ah can tell Granny's old ear won't be able to take it." Applebloom had a disappointing look on her face. Mac came closer to the little apple to comfort her slightly "Again Ah'm sorry."

"Naw it's Okay." She cheered up slightly "Sweetie and Scootaloo are asking permission too, there's still a chance."

"Now that's good to hear." Big Mac smiled as he gave his sister a small hug. "Have fun tomorrow."


Around the same time: Carousal Boutique, the room formally known as the "Organized Chaos Room"

"But Rarity, I thought that you loved Octavia's music." Said Sweetie Belle confused.

"I do, but I can't stand being near dreadful music of that DJ." Replied Rarity.

"Rumors say that Vinyl is a fun pony to be around." Sweetie retorted.

"Somehow I doubt that. Anyways Sweetie, you are not going to convince me. Try asking mom or dad."

"Okay. Do you want an autograph of Octavia?" Said Sweetie surprisingly cheerful.

"I'd love to have one." Sweetie nodded as she closed the door. There was a not-quite-a-slam noise made when the door closed. Rarity resumed doing her work, fixing a dress. "Darn... This presents a problem..." She said as she looked at the door Sweetie just used.


100,042,255,640,000 B.C. Still around the same time: Rainbow's Residence, Rainbow's Bedroom

Wide eyed Scootaloo said "Really you're gonna supervise us?"

"I sure as hay will Squirt, I haven't seen Vinyl in a long time."

"ThankyouThankyouThankyou!" The little filly bounced up and down like Pinkie on a good/every day.

"Calm down squirt... You'll need that energy when you're in the presence of the two most awesome mares in Ponyville." Said Rainbow half jokingly. "You know, to neutralize the lameness the other one brings." The two laughed at RD's comment directed at Octavia.

The laughter died down and Scootaloo said "That was mean."

"Yeah it was..." They laughed some more after that.


You know what time it is... Home of the nicest vacationing, clothes wearing parents around and their daughter.

"Well that's fantastic deary." Said the mother of the Belles. "We would love to accompany you."

"Really?" There was an impossibly huge grin on Sweetie Belle's face right now.

"Of course. After all Octavia is a good friend of ours and so is DJ P0N-3." Her father stated.

"Really?" There was an impossibly confused look Sweetie Belle's face right now.

"Really. But we can't go with you tomorrow." Replied the father.

"Why?" Asked Sweetie forgetting to ask how her parents knew the musicians.

"We have work tomorrow to do... Yeah that is the case..." Said the mother suspiciously

"Aw... Now I can only hope that Scootaloo and Applebloom have better luck than me!" Ever faithful, that Sweetie Belle.

"That's my girl" Said her father petting her back and nuzzling her, the mother joined in. "Those two musicians are great company. If one of you're friends found somepony to take care of you, tell Vinyl and Octavia we said hello."

"Will do." Sweetie went outside to spend for the rest of the day.


Meanwhile around the same time, Vinyl/Octavia's house, Octavia's room.

Octavia was bored. Not because she doesn't have any Cello practice or any hobbies to do. No it was because Vinyl was barely home. Even when she isn't on the job she is somewhere else. But every time she had time to hang out with each other it was a blast.

*Rumble*

It took Octavia a millisecond after that noise to notice that she was hungry. So she went to the kitchen to make herself some Tulip and grass sandwich. She wanted to eat them in her room. On her way to her she trotted past Vinyl's room. Out of curiosity she put her plate of sandwiches down and tried to open the door. "It's locked, nothing new." She said with a mix of casualness and sarcasm. Octavia often called that room 'the Mystery Room' in her head for a reason, she mostly ever saw glimpses of it. Even when Vinyl's asleep she keeps her door locked. Octavia found this always confusing since Vinyl is the most out going and care-free pony she knew. And she keeps forgetting Vinyl to ask why she locks herself up. She never seems to practice in there or do anything for that matter, it was always silent. It drives Octavia nuts... Vinyl how annoying she can be, she is a real great friend, and it's not uncommon for Vinyl voluntary suggesting to pay for repairs for her instruments even if she isn't the one to break it. And she doesn't even ask for anything in return. 'No need to return the favor, it is the least I can do for my best friend.' is a close interpretation of what the DJ would say. Octavia could not take that any more and tried to find a way to make a satisfying way of repaying her, and she believes that her friend's room has the key to finding out. (Asking what Vinyl would want never entered the dignified mare's head.)

*Ding-Dong*

"Of course the door bell rings as soon as I enter my room..." Said Octavia to herself rather dryly. The trip to downstairs was not noteworthy. And it was the mail mare with a letter in her mouth. "Oh, hello Miss Ditzy Doo."

"Call me Derpy, everyone does" She said in a muffled voice thanks to the letter.

"I wonder why..." Of course Octavia could understand Derpy's muffled speech. "I take it that letter is for either me or Vinyl?"

"It's for you." Derpy hooved/mouthed(?) it over to Octavia. "It's from Fancy Pants in Canterlot"

"Thank you Miss Ditzy..." Octavia said muffled. She put the letter down on the table close to the door to ask Derpy this: "Say Ditzy why did you have to ring the door bell to deliver the letter?"

"Well I kinda broke your mailbox and wanted to tell you that in person. The you reason you didn't hear it happening is because I developed a way that if I somehow accidentally brake something, I'll do it silent as a ninja." Admitted Derpy casually. Octavia gave a look that portrayed annoyed, angry and confused. "I just don't know what went wrong. I'll have it replaced by tomorrow." She said nonchalantly. And with that Derpy left, in search of the replacement mailbox and other mail related things.

Octavia sighed, closed the door and picked the letter up and opened it. It read:

Dear Octavia,
You are invited to your uncle 'Fancy Pants' Social Get Together' (his birthday). And we request that you play a solo for us. If you would like. It will be held at the Canterlot castle gardens. Not that many ponies of 'Canterlot importance' will attend so it will be just a nice get together. Some of the guests will include Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight, Lady Rarity, Party Mistress Pinkie Pie, Your grand Uncle and Grand Aunt...

the small list went on

and You. There will be plenty catering for ponies of most tastes. The party begins at 21:00 on the second day of the month and ends at 3:00.
We hope you can make it.

~ Your aunt, Fleur de Lis

"Second day of the month, that's a week from now. Do I have any dresses that still fit me?" She hasn't worn any since moving into Ponyville, kind of weird seeing she's a Canterlot mare, they wear those things 24/7. She went to her closet full of clothes and tried a few on. "Drat, they don't fit anymore. Well I suppose after the interview I'm going to hunt for dresses."

She heard the door opening downstairs. That meant either somepony was going to rob her blind or Vinyl's home. "'Tavi I'm home!" Vinyl's home.

"That's good to know, how was your day?" Octavia shouted so Vinyl could hear it. Vinyl came progressively closer upstairs.

"The usual, ponies getting their socks rocked and me being the sock rocker." Vinyl chuckled, Octavia rolled her eyes.

"I'm sure you have, Vinyl." Said the gray mare dryly.

Octavia's door opened, obviously Vinyl's doing. Coincidentally Vinyl also was behind the door "By the way, what is up with the mailbox? No wait let's me guess... Pinkie Pie accidentally broke it while trying to to surprise you for an 'Insert a thing party' by jumping out of it."

"Close enough it was Derpy. She said she shall replace it as soon as possible. And she gave me this invitation." She handed it over to Vinyl so to speak. And she read it (what else would you with a letter, eat it?).

"Good for you. You get to go to Canterlot for the first time since Fancy Pants' last party. I guess he really likes your music." Vinyl shrugged. "As everyone should." Vinyl giggled.

'There's that giggle again... Why am I getting suspicious over this?' Octavia thought. "Maybe..."

"I'm going to sleep now 'Tavi, G'night."

"Good night, Vinyl." Octavia replied. And with that Vinyl went to her room and locked her door. She didn't make a single sound the rest of the night.


The next day
Ponyville's school for Fillies (really needs an official name)

"Okay class, that's all for today. Don't forget your to do your home work."

It was a normal school day today and the Crusaders went to their club house, on their way they discussed about the supervision. "So did you guys have any luck?" Asked Scootaloo.

"Naw, Big Macintosh and Applejack are too busy."

"Mom and Dad are working and Rarity seems to hate DJ P0N-3 more then she loves Octavia."

"Typical. Well good thing Rainbow Dash agreed to do it!"

"Really?!"/"Really!?" Said the two filly choir.

"Really! This is gonna be the best interview ever." All three fillies were excited .

They arrived at the club house, and Applebloom asked: "So when 'nd where is Rainbow Dash gonna pick us up?"

"She said she would meet us here, so all we have to do is wait."

"So we're are supposed to be at the club within 45 minutes, we could probably walk there from here in about 25 minutes (15 if Scootaloo brought her scooter with her), but with Rainbow Dash it will take who knows how short so we could expect her in around 35 minutes give or take." Sweetie Belle said. The other two's jaw malfunctioned.

"So you're now a dictionary and a math book?" Asked Scootaloo.

"Speaking of math we should probably git our stuff ready, ya know our note blocks, pencils, pencil sharpeners."

A few hours later

The CMC were bored, all their stuff was ready, Sweetie once again layedlaid upside down on the couch. Applebloom was pacing around and Scootaloo practiced crashing Flying. When suddenly!

"'Sup, everypony" Rainbdow is in the club house just making her landing "Are you ready to meet awesomeness incarnate (besides me of course)?" RD gave a dismissive hoof gesture at that last one.

"YEAH!"

"Are You Ready?!"

"YEAH!"

"Are you sure?"

"YEAH! GET ON WITH IT!"

"Okay grab your stuff and jump in the wagon I hired for today. And we need it to bring you there as fast as possible." So they did. The Jump in the wagon bit at least. "Hold on tight!" The wagon sped-up at some more-then-decent speed. Rainbow started a little talk. "So any quick first pre-interview impressions of the two musicians?"

"Why?" asked Applebloom

"Just curious."

Sweetie was the first to speak "I like Octavia because of Rarity, she loves it to no end. But her love for her seemed to be less and less. And DJ P0N-3... I only heard bit and pieces of her music. Rarity can't stand her."

"Typical Rarity." Rainbow Dash commented.

"Heard them here an' there, I like what I heard." Applebloom said.

"DJ P0N-3 IS AWESOME!!" said Scootaloo with an incredible force behind her voice. And a good portion of Ponyville must have heard that. "And Octavia is lame." she said in contrast of what she said before.

"Better not say that out loud Scoots, both of them wouldn't like that fact." said RD jokingly Scootaloo chuckled the other two just them disapprovingly "We're almost there."


DJ P0N-3's club: Vinyl's Dressing Room, half-a-minute ago...

"DJ P0N-3 IS AWESOME!!" That is what a good portion of Ponyville heard alright. Including Vinyl and Octavia.

"I'm willing to bet 5 bits that is the one who suggested this interview." said Octavia

"This is pretty much an instant win situation for me Octy." replied Vinyl. Octavia's face frowned now, she will lose this bet because Vinyl somehow already knew the answer. Vinyl recognized that yell. It belonged to Rainbow Dash’s recently adopted sister. So much for the mystery interviewers. The other Ponyville trouble makers would accompany her as expected she sees them together usually. "They'll be here any minute."

A security pony opened the door. "They’re in front of the building, do you want to meet them there or do you want us to bring them here?"

"The latter please. You know in case last minute before interview emergencies."

The pony closed nodded the door. There was some silence. "Vinyl, tell me, how do you know the ones we are going to be interviewed by, even though you didn't know yesterday?" Asked Octavia.

"Um..." Silence, Vinyl looked around before answering "Heard word on the street..?" She said.

"From who?"

"From Mr. Luck" She said unconvincingly.

"Who?"

"You know the Pure Blue Pegasus with the clover cutie mark down the street."

"That is a unusually dark color for for a Pegasus. And if there was there was a such a colored Pegasus he would easily stand out in a crowd, and Pinkie would have thrown a party announcing his newly found home. I'm not convinced he exists."

Vinyl replied kinda shaking "Well he i-"

"They are right behind me now." Said the security pony who opened the door stealthily with ninja like reflex. That's what the musical ponies assumed anyway. The conversation went forgotten for now.

"Are you ready 'Tavi?" Vinyl recollected her cool.

Octavia sighed "Let's get this over with."

"They're ready. You can come in." The security pony widened the door. And was run over by Scootaloo.

"ohmygoshomygoshohmygosohmigoshDJ-P0N-3!!!" I should start a 'said Scootaloo excited' counter. The security pony was on the ground in pain, the other three guests help him stand up and make sure he is okay. After that he left them alone.

"Hey kid." Said Vinyl, and then Rainbow caught her eye "Yo Rainbow!! Haven't seen you in like three months."

"I've been busy."

"That's a lie and you know it."

"You got me. But this is no time for us to catch up, I'm only here to look after the kids here. I'll be leaning against the wall for the entirety of the interview. It's boring but... boring."

"I see. Wanna hang out soon?"

"Sure. You'll contact me like usual?"

"Sure" *Brohoof*

Scootaloo could do nothing but squee. "Awesome, you weren't kidding that you were friends with DJ P0N-3!"

"Well we're not really friends per see, just equals in awesomeness who hang out sometimes, right?"

"Pretty much." Confirmed Rainbow .

"Still awesome!" Said Scootaloo. The other crusaders kept quiet during this brief moment.

"Watch your volume... What're your name's?" Asked Octavia.

"I'm Scootaloo, and these are my best friends Applebloom and Sweetie Belle." She pointed (as much as a hoof can point anyways) to her friends. Vinyl didn't seem to pay attention to the introduction. Rude.

"Scootaloo, and all of you for that matter if you're all that loud." Vinyl grinned and quietly giggled at that. "I already hear enough loud Dubpstep a day. I mean no disrespect." Said Octavia.

"Okay we'll shall not shout miss Octavia and Miss P0N-3" Said Sweetie Belle.

"You can call me Vinyl. Vinyl Scratch." She gave a facial reaction which was hard too read. It looked kinda familiar to Sweetie.

"Aren't you guys supposed have an interview here?" Said Rainbow Dash leaning against a wall.

"Oh, right. So how are we gonna this? Q 'n A style?" Asked the DJ.

"It's almost like should have thought this through better." Replied Octavia.

Everyone ignored that comment for different reasons. "Wha's a Q 'n A?" Asked Applebloom.

"It's short for 'Question and Answer', in which one asks question and another answers. Does that answer your question dear?"

"Now Ah git it. Shall we do it like that?" Applebloom asked her friends. They nodded. "Okay Ah ken write everything down. Ah don't have much to ask. So you two ken ask th'm things. Is that alright miss Octavia 'n Vinyl?"

"That system will work fine. What do you think 'Tavi?"

"I was thinking the same thing."

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADER INTERVIEWERS! YAY!!!"

"My ears..." Whispered Octavia. Rainbow and Vinyl just winced.

Author's Note:

Don't worry, most of the confusing stuff will be cleared up in the next or later chapters.
Any idea how a southern accent works? I don't know.
Ditto for DJs
If you have feedback to give don't hold back.
Edited by Manshadow3