• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 2,507 Views, 47 Comments

The Club's Connected to the Boutique - firebirdabirdoffire



After an interview Octavia was curious about of her best friend, she was acting odd around them, and then she realized that she doesn't know much about her herself. So after the night of her DJ-ing Octavia follows her back home...

  • ...
5
 47
 2,507

Bonus Chapter 2 - Romance is overated

Arackn
A chapter that take place at Heart and Hooves where the CMC/ the Mane 6 / Magnum and Pearl try to put Octavia and Vinyl in a date ? No... Not enough original. Well, I don't have any other idea :applejackunsure: And I'm sure the sister hooves social will be awesome...

I liked this idea enough, so many possibilities with this. But I can't have all of the mane six directly involved with the plot. Indirectly is no problem. And no Magnum and Pearl, they're traveling again. But in honestly they started it all, so that should be good enough, right? No? Sorry.


Ponyville's spa, the usual time.

"...and that's why I'm a fan of you, Vinyl. It felt strangely good that I was secretly your friend for so long. Your music helped me deal with so much emotional baggage it isn't even funny." Fluttershy felt relieved to share that.

"That's so wonderful, Fluttershy." Vinyl almost teared up, their other spa buddies (Rarity and Octavia,) were also touched. A while after the miracle birthday of the twins they decided that it would be fun if they occasionally went to the spa together. Octavia and Vinyl went often alone too.

"Does anypony else have a story to tell?" Rarity asked.

"I got one." Octavia said. "I got hired to compose a song or two for an upcoming show."

"'Of Dancers and Guns'?" Vinyl asked.

"Yes. How did you know, Sweetie?" Octavia asked, teasing her again with her name. Vinyl's jaw tensed a bit.

"They commissioned me to for that too, at first they wanted me to just write music and borrow some equipment. But then one of the dancing girls caught an illness, and the replacement got fired. They want me to perform and act as a show girl, complete with a outfit. Yanno those ones with the top hats with a feather attached to it, magician jacket, stockings, cuffs, a proper wavy mane style, a cane, and for some reason a beauty mark. I was apparently the only mares around who could temporarily fill the gap."

There were a few seconds of silence. "Are you going to do it?" Rarity asked.

"Hay yeah! This is something I have to experience at least once, it just sounds fun to do." Octavia and Fluttershy blushed furiously. Rarity was just jealous

"Can I watch, Vinyl?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"No Sweetie Belle, you're not a teenager yet." Vinyl said. "Wait,"

"Sweetie Belle!?" Rarity, Vinyl and Octavia (who also cared for her since she's her music student and pretty much honorary sister) yelled as they looked at the destructive trio in spa uniforms.

"Hi sisters, Octy and Fluttershy."

"What're you doing here, Sweets? That goes for Applebloom and Scootaloo too." Vinyl asked.

"We're filling in for Lotus." Scootaloo answered. "She caught something."

"Should we be afraid?" Octavia whispered.

"CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS SPA PONIES!!! YAY!!!" They yelled so hard it caused the water to wave.

"I think we had enough for today, haven't we girls?" Rarity said to her spa buddies.

"Um... okay."/"Totally."/"Yes, yes we have." They as they left.

"Have a nice day, Sweetie." Octavia said. "Not you, Vinyl."

"Mom and Dad are vacationing again. With who do you want to stay?" Rarity asked her little sis.

"Vinyl." She chose.

"'Kay. I'll prepare your room then." Vinyl said.

"I'm so proud of you." Fluttershy whispered as they left.

"Dat went better the' expected." Applebloom said.

"Yeah that wasn't bad, it was almost like we didn't do anything." It's hard to tell if Sweetie's sisters sarcasm rubbed off on her.

"It was fun listening to them. Who knew Fluttershy had a boyfriend, I always thought that if she had a boyfriend the world would end. What would her kid be like if the stork brought her a kid? Even shyer?" Scootaloo unneedingly shared.

"Ah'm more curious what Vahnyl's like." Applebloom said.

"What?" The other crusaders said.

"Don't say tha' she an' Octavia don't bicker like an ol' married couple." Applebloom said.

"Makes sense, did'ya see Octavia's massive blush when Vinyl made her imagine herself in a magician costume?" Scootaloo said.

"But Fluttershy blushed too." Sweetie argued.

"She blushes if you told her that Princess Celestia used the same air freshener as her."

"Why would that make anyone blush?"

"Fluttershy would've found a way. Anyways Sweetie, what do you think about Vinyl and Octavia as a couple?"

"Well Vinyl sometimes calls her by sickening names (like Cheerilee and Big Macintosh did,) usually after Octavia insults her, or calls her 'Sweetie'. Octavia's reaction to being called ''Tavi' is consistent."

"It ahll makes sense nohw!" Applebloom proclaimed. "There are obviously in love. I mean they live together, both are classy mares (even if Vinyl hides it), go out regularly t'gether, do lots of stuff t'gether, they call each other affectionate names an' Bicker like an 'ld married couple. "

"That still doesn't say anything, Rarity calls everypony 'darling' or 'dear'. But it still makes sense." Sweetie said.

"Shall we play potion free match makers regardless?" Scootaloo suggested.

"I'm on board. I wouldn't mind another sister." Sweetie said. "Let's ask for help, I'm sure her friends would like to help."

"Let's avoid Rarity asking than, doesn't she have a that weird telepathy thing with Vahnyl?" Applebloom reasoned. "Wait ain't it Hearts and hooves day soon? That works out perfectly!"


Sugarcube Corner, a while later... Is it Sugar Cube, Sugarcube or SugarCube? Nobody knows it I think.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders decided to split up and ask Vinyl's friends if they will help. Sweetie asked Pinkie Pie. "Of course I'll help, Sweetie Belle, I'm supporter of Vinyl and Octavia shipping." Pinkie Pie said.

"We're sending them on a cruise?"

"Sounds great, let's write that down. I'll see ya later in front of your club house."


A random cloud.

"I'll pass, Scoots. I'm not good with romance. I'd probably screw it up if I tried. I'm awesome on many levels, just not on romance. But Vinyl and Octavia are made for each other, strangely. Vinyl seems like the type that enjoys a generic romantic night, however. It's what Rarity would want. And I guess Octavia would like the same." Rainbow Dash said. "Don't tell anyone I'm a decently good love advice giver." She said in not quite good sentence in structure wise.


Sweet Apple Acres, at a tree

"Are ya sure 'bout this, Applebloom?" Applejack. "The last time ya pulled this off, according to Big Macintosh, ya almost got 'im and Cheerilee too love struck to function."

"But Octavia and Vahnyl are alriddy in love, Ah think, we just wanna push'em into the right direction is all."

"And ya need mah help for that because?..."

"We alriddy have an idea, we just need you to keep it convincing as ya can."


Fluttershy's Cottage

"Hey Fluttershy, we're hooking Vinyl and Octavia up, and we need your help, and we heard at the spa that you apparently had some experience with love, not only that but you're also really good friends with them, and would know what they prefer, can you help us?" Scootaloo asked bluntly.

"Um... Sure, I'll help you however I can, and don't forget that." Fluttershy's was a bit calmer than normal.

"Thanks, see you at the club house, Fluttershy, bye till later. Please don't tell them." Scootaloo said as she left.

'They grow up so fast...' Fluttershy thought, I guess at the youth in general, Iunno.


Inside Golden Oaks Library

"Hey Applebloom." Said Spike who's lying against the stairs. That can't be comfortable.

"Howdy Spike, is Twahlight home?"

"She's upstairs, but don't bother her, she's studying like crazy."

"Oh, okay. What were you going to ask her?"

"Setting up Octavia and Vinyl for a date."

"And you were planning to ask Twilight about that? Let me do it, at least I have an idea how love works."

"Great, we're meeting at the club house."

The rest of the day was just scheming.


Vinyl's house, around breakfast

Sweetie Belle and Vinyl prepared breakfast, they waited for Octavia. "Yo, 'Tavi, breakfast's ready!" They heard her mumble loudly upstairs, yesterday she felt like working late. "We're gonna start without ya! Sweetie looks hungry, we might it all!"

"Should we really?"

"No, well yes, you can start if you like, dear." Signs of Rarity appeared there, happens time from time.

"Okay." Sweetie said as she took toast and smeared peanut butter on it.

Octavia came finally down with a ridiculous bed name.

"SWEET CELESTIA, YOUR MANE!" Vinyl shouted.

"You know Vinyl, after the fiftieth time you'd think you'd realize it was never funny to begin with."

"Yes I know, and you should know that your reaction, makes it worth it every time."

Octavia just grumbled.

"Somepony's grumpy this morning." Snarked Vinyl deadpan.

"How did you guess?"

"Your left arm always twitches when your stressed."

Octavia just slowly looked at her shaking arm. "I honestly never noticed that."

"Anyways if you want I could cheer you up. I'm no Pinkie Pie,"

'One can never thank goodness enough for that.'

"but I'm always here to help."

"You know Sweetie, not you, Vinyl, is not going to get all our in-jokes right?"

"I don't really care."

'Waiting for an opportunity will take forever, it's now or never.' She giggled. 'That rhymed.'

"What's so funny, Sweetie Belle?"

"Oh nothing. Speaking of nothing," Sweetie Belle pulled out two pieced of paper from under the table. "I wanted to show you this yesterday but I forgot to."

"What has this to do with nothing?"

"Nothing."

Octavia read it out loud. "Hearts and hooves blind date pen pals?"

Congratulations number 43! You won this ticket for a free, and that means a free blind date for Hearts and Hooves day. You're one in fifty who did, and one in twenty-five who're female. This is how it works:

Write down your address, so we can sent the location of your date. You rip the bottom part of and you can send your letter via the box located in Sugarcube Corner. Its randomized, but don't worry, you'll get a pony from the opposite sex, guaranteed. Also keep in mind that if you two don't agree on restaurant choices we will choose between those two for you.


P.S. Don't be a heart breaker, and please try to spend your with your date even if it doesn't work out.
P.P.S. This is legit I swear, Pinkie swear even.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address:_______________________________________________________
Code Name:____________________________________________________
Number: 43
Date location:
Blue elephant [ ]
Sugarcube Corner [ ]
The Zen Dragon [ ]
Pizza Shack [ ]
The Golden Ocean [ ]

"I don't think this is professionally written. Where did you get this, Sweetie?"

"Scootaloo won them, she had no use for it."

"Sounds... Fun? I think. I might try this, I haven't dated somepony since I was with Rarity." Vinyl said.

"Don't the stallions at your club basically beg to date you?" Octavia asked.

"Even a few mares, more than you might think actually, for both. None are my type actually. Too wild."

Octavia held back her laughter, but failed. "Too wild? Your fan base is nothing but wild, minus Fluttershy and maybe Rainbow Dash."

"Sad but true, sometimes I wonder why I keep doing my job."

"Because disappointing your fans leaves you devastated?"

"Something like that. Anyways 'Tavi, we're getting sidetracked. Will you try it?"

"I want some confirmation first, where did Scootaloo win this, Sweetie Belle?"

"Sugar cubeCorner." Sweetie answered.

"I shall go there for answers than."

"I won't allow you to leave until you combed your mane, young lady." Vinyl joked.

"I'm a year and a half older than you." Octavia deadpanned.

"Doesn't matter, you still need to comb your mane." Octavia missed to opportunity to call Vinyl a hypocrite.


Sugar cube corner

"Welcome to Sugarcube, Octy. What brings you here?" Pinkie eagerly asked.

"I want confirmation on this blind date thing."

"Its for real. Isn't that right, AJ, Spikey, Flutters?" Those friends who happened to be in the same building at the time said their hello to Octavia.

"It is a real thing Octavia, but I don't have proof. I gave mine away, I don't want history to repeat itself." Fluttershy explained.

"Is 'ere something ya wanna talk about, sugar cube?" Applejack asked concerned.

"No, its nothing."

"Anyways sugar cube," Applejack shifted her focus. "I still've mine." Applejack pulled out her brochure out of her hat.

"I got one too." Spike waved his in the air. Both his and Applejack's bottom were ripped off.

"Does anypony know why this is happening or know who's responsible?" Octavia asked.

"Well Mr./Ms. anonymous thought that not anypony is fortunate enough to get a date and get a special somepony out of it." Pinkie Pie explained.

"Hey guys," Vinyl said entering. "I'm submitting my entree. How's your progress, 'Tavi?"

"I got conformation, it's real."

"Are you gonna try it, Octavia?" Fluttershy asked.

"Hmm. I don't recall ever dating before. I might as well." Octavia said. "Pinkie, can I use a pencil?"

"Sure thing, cus."


Later at home

"What're you hoping for 'Tavi?"

"For what?"

"What kinda stallion you want."

"Why do you ask?"

"Just curious."

"I never had much preference in love, and the most instances I've experience I had with love are the stallions at eye at me occasionally, most notably Jumping Jukebox and your family's constant teasing. I guess anypony would be fine, as long they're not Jumping Jukebox or around his level of personality."

"Ditto, I hate to say that he only got his job out of pity."

"What are you hoping for?"

"A gentlecolt of course."

"I didn't see that one coming." Octavia said with sarcasm.

"I know. I hope he'll be like Thunderlane, he's dating Rarity this Hearts and Hooves."

"Rarity dates Thunderlane?"

"Yup. I saw it with my own eyes when my I was there when I happened to drop by. Blaargh, redundancy."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carousal Boutique, Flashback

"So you've a date with Rarity, eh?" Vinyl said towards Thunderlane.

"Yes," He nodded. "I can hardly wait for it." He was sincere.

*Grabs him and daggers viciously* "You'll treat my sister nicely, right?"

Thunderlane was shaking in fear. "Y-yes I will, I wasn't planning anything else but to date her for the moment, to see how things work out. Sister?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I could've handled that better in retrospect." Vinyl admitted.


Vinyl's house, a day before Hearts and Hooves

Opened the door, 'twas a hard day of work, mostly sitting in one place. She looked to see stuff on the door mat. "The mail, oh, there's the Hearts and Hooves ones. "Tavi! There's mail for you!"

"Slide it under my door. I'm busy with composing for 'Of Dancers and Guns'."

"'Kay."

"Perfect, as long they don't reveal each others code name we're set." Sweetie whispered in her room to the fellow crusaders. "Now act naturally."


It was hearts and hooves day. Love is in the air, Jumping Jukebox is rejected again and it's time for the complicated phase two of complicated plan. Location, the restaurant: Blue Elephant.

"...wow, I didn't expect this place to have that." Vinyl muttered to herself while reading the menu. "Its also surprisingly cheap for a restaurant of this class. Still expensive, but compared to the competition."

"Tell me about it." The mare sitting behind Vinyl said.

"I know that voice, oh, hello there 'Tavia." Vinyl used a more fancy vocabulary for this fancy place, but no accent.

"Hello Vinyl, didn't think you would pick the Blue Elephant of all places."

"Its the only restaurant I haven't eaten at yet in Ponyville."

"Fair enough. Why are you wearing a tuxedo?"

"I'm waiting for my date, I can't wait to see his reaction to me wearing this. And Tuxedos always fitted me better than a dress. It has something to do with my tomboyish side, not that I mind wearing dresses, mind you. In fact as you know my more feminine side loves them."

"Obviously, you've 'modeled' often for your sister." Octavia said bending the truth a little.

"Want to talk while we wait?"

"Of course, Sweetie."

"'Tavia, please, if I cringe too much I can't chew."


"Sheesh, it takes forever for him to show up." Vinyl complained.

"That 'Master of Bass Disaster' sure is something for keeping a lady waiting."

"Mmm-hmmm." Vinyl murmured. "He sure does. 'Scuse me?"

"You are excused." Octavia giggled.

Vinyl rolled her eyes and then went back on track. "What was your date's code name?"

"Master of Bass Disaster."

"Governor Treble?"

Octavia just looked at Vinyl. "You are my date?"

"You didn't figure it out with my code name?"

"Since when do you fish?"

Vinyl facehooved. "You're a musician. You should think bass as in 'base' waaay before bass as in 'fish'. For a lady you sure have your moments of ditzyness, you know that right?"

"I don't have anything witty to say on that matter. Can we get back on subject?" She politely asked.

"Gladly."

"Why are you on table six? We're supposed to sit on eight."

"What are you talking about? This is eight."

"Take off your sunglasses and levitate that number in front of your eyes."

"Oh."

"Can I call you a ditz now?"

"Only behind my back where I can't hear it. Not that it has anything to do with it, not my fault I'm visually handicapped, and that the numbers are written in purple."

"Some guaranteed opposite sex policy. Not only I get a mare, I get my best friend. That's not an insult, Vinyl."

"I have an idea what's going on. Get out of hiding everypony, right now!"

The Cutie Mark Crusaders and Pinkie Pie threw off their fedoras and trenchcoats. "How did you know?" Sweetie asked.

"Don't think I didn't do similar stuff when I was your age, Sweetie Belle. By Celestia, I felt old just saying that." Vinyl explained.

"Why?" Octavia asked. "And just as importantly: how?"

"A lot of us thought that you two were made for each other." Sweetie Belle explained.

"So we set up this elaborate several phase plan to get ya two up fer ah date." Applebloom elaborated.

"Who else is in on it?" Vinyl asked.

"We came up the idea, Fluttershy came up with the plan, Applejack, Pinkie, Spike and Fluttershy were at Sugercube conrer to make it as convincing as possible. And Pinkie's money was in the envelopes so you could eat here." Scootaloo finished.

"I didn't need it." Pinkie said concerning the money.

There was silence. Vinyl and Octavia looked at each other. "Let us tell you guys something; we ain't a couple, guys... redundancy... hurgh." Vinyl said, Octavia went into further detail as Vinyl was whispering to herself.

"We're just really good friends that somehow managed not to rip each others throat out over the years. Honestly it still amazes why we're still friends through all those years."

"You needed a place to stay that was cheap."

"That's it, but that hasn't been the case for years, we're just that good friends."

"Understood?" Vinyl asked.

"Okay. Is it wise to try plan B?" Sweetie asked to everypony in general.

"You're grounded, Sweetie Belle!" Vinyl screamed. "We'll discuss the rest of your punishment later, sorry." She regrettably did that.

"Awwww..." Sweetie said as she sadly shambled away...

"And I'm requesting Granny Smith, Rainbow Dash, Mr. and Mrs. Cake to do the same to you." Vinyl said at the other three.

"Awwww..." They said as they mimicked Sweetie Belle.

-------------Mission: Failed-------------

"Well," Vinyl said towards her not date. "shall enjoy the moment anyways? I wouldn't mind having dinner here, it's free and I heard the food's quality is excellent. Whaddya say, 'Tavi?"

"Of course, Sweetie~"

Author's Note:

What would you guys like first?
1) The next and final bonus chapter. Except not really.
2) Go into Fluttershy's past, a prequel.

I love how Vinyl call Octavia a ditz, while Vinyl herself forget her name.

I hope you liked it, Mr. Arackn, and the rest of course. I'm not sure if how I handled this chapter. What else is new?