• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 2,507 Views, 47 Comments

The Club's Connected to the Boutique - firebirdabirdoffire



After an interview Octavia was curious about of her best friend, she was acting odd around them, and then she realized that she doesn't know much about her herself. So after the night of her DJ-ing Octavia follows her back home...

  • ...
5
 47
 2,507

The House's Connected the Club, the Club's Connected to the Boutique, the Boutique is Connected to the Answer.

Sweetie Belle and Octavia looked out the window, seeing Magnum hug Vinyl. "Why's dad hugging Vinyl?" Said Sweetie Belle, mostly to herself.

"I wouldn't know. But your parents always seemed to have the closest mother/father/daughter relation with Vinyl I have seen so far."

"And they never told me?"

"Not much we can do about it, broken Pinkie Promises are possibly the closest kind of broken promise that reaches lethal levels. Depends on the weight of the promise of course."

"How heavy must the question be?"

"Who knows?" Octavia said moving away from the window. "Let's sit down and see what you already know." Sweetie followed.


Time Skip

"Bye 'Shy. Hope you're satisfied with those autographs." Standing by the door.

"Oh I am, thank you so much." Fluttershy said much sincerity, like usual.

"No sweat. Now you just enjoy the rest of your day. Bye!" Vinyl waved and closed the door. "Never though she'd be the type, she never told me about at the-" She said to herself before she stopped herself because she accidentally made the umbrella holder fall over. "Dang it." 'Well it's time to clean up my mess and then get back to work.'

She went up stairs to her room and closed the door, and she vanished.

Octavia's ear perked up.


A little bit earlier, Octavia's domain.

Octavia and Sweetie somehow got side tracked talking about Rarity.

"...so I was actually kinda disappointed when Rarity showed as little happiness as she did. Especially since she talks regularly how much she loves you and you're music." Sweetie Belle bag of wind was almost empty. "Did she show overjoyment when she came walking in?"

"No, she looked more sick than anything really. After that she only showed professionalism." Octavia said.

"I think I should have picked a better present." Said Sweetie Belle sounding a bit down. 'Or maybe I shouldn't have asked Vinyl to sign that piece of paper.'

"Don't say that, picking out a birthday present is a risky thing if you don't know what the birthday boy/girl wants." Octavia said to cheer Sweetie up. "Makes me kinda glad Vinyl never seems to celebrate it."

"Wait WHAT?! Why wouldn't she celebrate it? Birthdays are like one of the best days ever. Thanks to Pinkie."

"I've asked several times yesterday, she refuses to answer the question. And she's good friends with Pinkie."

"Strange."

"Well she's a strange pony. She has a blue magic aura, yet her eyes are some kind of violet, I think."

"You don't know her eye color? That's basic information."

"Not if she wears those glasses 24/7, it's a rare occurrence seeing her eyes. To the point that ponies think her eyes are red, which is an one in a million possibility." Octavia let out. "Just like getting in to her room."

"What's so special about her room?"

Octavia thought about telling Sweetie about the Mystery Room. 'Why not?' "Well you see..." Octavia explains all of the things Vinyl has ever done for her. Vinyl disappears often in her room. And her reason for going into her room to make sure what she wants. "...And that's why I need to get in one day, to repay her."

Sweetie, who was engrossed by the short story. "Wow, she's so generous. If I didn't knew any better I'd say you two were in love."

Octavia gave a glare and sighed. "Again, we're in a platonic relation ship."

"Sorry."

"No need, we get that a lot. Vinyl doesn't help at all."

*Door closing sound outside Octavia's room.*

Octavia's ears perked up. "Sh." She motioned. "Be quiet." 'I don't hear the door locking.' Then... nothing. "No, I must be dreaming!"

"What?"

"She didn't lock her door!" Said Octavia uncharacteristically giddy. "Come, let's have look."

Now in front of the door of secrets. "Are you sure about this? What if Vinyl doesn't want you to enter her room." Sweetie reasoned.

"If she didn't want me to do that she would have told me several times already."

"Are you even sure that involving a filly you barely know in this is even a good idea?"

"Well..." Octavia now began questioning this. 'She's right, who knows what kind of filly inappropriate things Vinyl might have in there... She seemed to like the for those things. Or maybe there's a giant mess that she could get lost in. Magnum, Pearl and her sister would have my head, and need somepony else to design my new dress.'

"Let's go inside." Sweetie suddenly said.

Octavia stopped thinking about it and opened the door. It's a true sight to behold. "Wow!" Sweetie Belle said in awe.

"This is overwhelming." Octavia said. "I've always imagined Vinyl's room to be a mess. But this is so organized it hurts my former expectations." Staring at the neat room. Now entering it. "It does lack instruments though."

They turned around to close the door. As they did just that they both saw something... Interesting in the corner.

"Is that a open trapdoor?" Sweetie asked Octavia about a thing resembling a steel trapdoor that's seems to be open.

"Yes, it would seem so."

"Do you have any idea were this could lead?"

"No, but now I how Vinyl disappears. Shall we enter it?" Octavia suggested.

"Cutie Mark Crusader basement explorer!" Sweetie yelled.

"My ears... Shhh we want don't to alert Vinyl. I'm going in first."

"Okay." They both looked downwards. They see stairs that go pretty deep down, about a story or two, going down where the basement should be. And there is some light glowing at the bottom.

"I'm going down first."

This is where I would end the chapter, but let's continue.

Octavia went down. And as she did she looked at the trapdoor one more time and noticed something. "This trapdoor, has the qualities to make it soundproof." She inspected it more. "It is soundproof."

"Which-" Sweetie started.

"Means nothing, as far as we know." Octavia finished. She was at the bottom. It looked a little cave-esque. A little round on the ceiling yet... cave-esque. "It's safe down here." Octavia shouted, it echoed a bit. She heard Sweetie coming downstairs. She looked around the Scratch-cave. She observed the furniture, the room had a round rug in the middle, a bed, lamps, a desk with music related things on it, a stylish fashion drawer with a mirror and lots of make-up products on it and finally a DJ set. One of these things is not like the other things.

"Wow, I never thought a cave could be a great hideout." Sweetie said by Octavia's side. "May we should the Cutie Mark Crusaders Miners."

"Do yourself a favor: don't."

"Why?"

"If there's one thing my rock farming cousins Inkie and Blinkie hate it's mining. They say it takes a lot of hard work and dedication."

"It can't be too hard, I mean Rarity does it to some extent." Octavia shrugged. "Look at that drawer."

"I don't think I ever saw Vinyl with make-up on, I swear Vinyl gets stranger and stranger."

"Where is she exactly?" Sweetie said playing with the bottles and looking around.

Octavia also looked around. "Good question. If she went in here and she isn't here then where is she?"

"Maybe trough that door?" Sweetie pointed at the door that Octavia just saw.

"How did we miss that?" Octavia

Hi firebirdabirdmadeoutoffire here, I do pull stuff out of nowhere that a lot. I'm sorry Octavia and Sweetie Belle, not that you two can hear me.

"I didn't miss it, you did apparently."

"It doesn't matter. What's behind that door?" Octavia's curiosity said. "It's soundproof." Again.

"Is it locked?"

She opened it. "No, just soundproof." They were both looking at a long, dimly lit hallway of a cave.

"I think Vinyl's strange now too." Sweetie said to herself.

"Should we do it?" Octavia suggested. "You don't have to follow me if you don't want to."

"I wanna keep going and see where this leads." Sweetie said bravely, because there is nothing to be afraid of.


Time skip, little time has past. Let's say they went at the average human walking speed, and walked about 30 meters.

"A split in the road?" Octavia questioned at the obvious Y shaped split in front of her muzzle.

"'Short-cut ca-'" Sweetie said.

"What?" Octavia saw that Sweetie Belle was reading a sign. "Sorry for interrupting please continue. "

"Thank you 'Tavi." Octavia mentally groaned, Now Sweetie's using the same nickname Vinyl gave her? She would be okay if she doesn't over use it. "The sign reads: 'Short-cut cave, for traveling between work and homes. For two of my best friends by Pinkie Pie and said friends.'" Sweetie finished.

"Pinkie made this? I give her to little credit. A lot of hard work and dedication must have gone into this cave." Octavia said. "And 'friends' and 'homes'? Has Vinyl been dating a stallion underground?"

"Are you jealous?" :unsuresweetie:

"No! But now I have an idea where this leads."

Silence. And do yourself a favour and don't press the link. All of us will regret it.

"Which path shall we take? Left or right?" Sweetie asked.

"With which front hoof do you write?"

"Ponies write with their hooves?"

"Only the higher class earth ponies. Allow to rephrase; On which side does your pencil lean when holding it in your magical grip?"

"My magic isn't strong enough yet for basic levitation."

*Sigh* "On which side of your mouth?"

"It depends. Most of the time it's on the right though."

"Then we go right."


After a while, in right direction, give or take 3 minutes.

"Trotting, trotting, trotting, trotting, trotting, trotting... OH hey look! A wall!" Sweetie said that to herself at an attempt to entertain herself. Octavia didn't blame her.

"Hey look, stairs."

"Yay variety." They saw a stone stair case leading to a trapdoor. One that didn't look soundproof. "Ladies first." Sweetie said.

Octavia giggled.

"What's so funny?"

"You called me a lady. For reason it made me laugh thanks to your high pitched voice." Now Sweetie laughed as well. "Okay here we go." One step, two step, three step, four step, five step, six step, several steps and final step. Sweetie followed closely behind. "Here we go; 1, 2, 3." Octavia gently opened the hatch. She couldn't believe her eyes. "This... Vinyl's..."

"Dressing room? Where we interviewed you two?"

Octavia nodded and closed the lid.

"'Short-cut cave, for traveling between work and homes. For two of my best friends by Pinkie Pie and said friends.'" Octavia quoted her cousins' sign. "OH MY DEITIES! Maybe Vinyl does have a secret relationship with someone. If it's that unlikable Jumping Jukebox I'm going to be sick and crying."

"Jumping Jukebox?"

"He's one of Vinyl's employees, we don't get along. I hope that the other hallway doesn't lead lead to his house. I can't imagine what it's like." Octavia was visibly shaken at that thought.

"Do you want to go there?" On they're way back or to the other path.

"Should I as Vinyl's friend and house mate know what's going on there?"

"Maybe?"

"Correct. If we arrive I'll go alone through the trapdoor to see the possible horrors."

"Okay."


Time skip, don't ask how long. All need to know is that they took a right turn and now...

"Another soundproof door?" Sweetie said.

Octavia quoted a pseudonym she heard randomly on the streets. "Eeyup." She opened the door.

"Why is this room so... neatly decorated?" Sweetie asked herself. The room had everything the previous underground room had. But fancier. And squarer, this room (more like a basement) had even wallpaper. Very familiar wallpaper for both Octavia and Sweetie Belle. Even more so for Sweetie Belle. "Hey look, it's the same desk as in Vinyl's room. And it has more make-up."

"I don't think Jukebox would own a room like this. Unless he lives with his relatives." Octavia said.

"Maybe he's-"

"No, that can't be it." Stopped whatever the implication is Sweetie might have made if she didn't interrupt. Looking at the stairs. Leading to a trapdoor. It's soundproof of course. Poof. Octavia was underneath it. '1, 2, 3!'. The door was open, Octavia raised neck. And used her eyes. And closed the door.

"Sweetie Belle... you should see this. You'd most likely not believe me if I told you." Said Octavia with a voice of confusion.

"Um... Okay." She went upstairs where the classical pony is.

"Brace yourself. 1, 2, 3!" Door opened and Sweetie looked around.

"It's the ground floor of Carousal Boutique!" Sweetie shrieked in the middle of said boutique.

"Nice observation." Deadpanned Octavia.

"Does this mean Rarity is Vinyl's possible girlfriend?" Sweetie said setting hoof on the just figuratively a centimeter away from her eyes.

"What is it with you and your father constantly implying romance?"

"No idea. Should we go see Rarity ask her what this basement is about? If she's home."

"Good idea."

"She's probably in her room making a dress. Follow me."


Meanwhile, in Rarity's room.

*Yawn* "What's taking those two so long?" Rarity(?) said to herself growing impatient. "Give it time Rares, they'll here any minute now. I hope." Said Vinyl(?) to Rarity(?).

The door slammed open. "Halt, explain yourself and your relation with my house mate, Rarity." Her eyes and Sweetie's widened at the mare in front of them.

"Wow, subtle 'Tavi." Said a white unicorn with purple shades in a lady-like voice, blue mane and tail, with purple curly extensions on both, she also seemed two have two cutie-marks. A musical note cutie mark on the left. And three gems stones on the right.

"Rarity/Vinyl!!!!!" Shouted both Sweetie Belle and Octavia in unison together.

"Yes, I was both this whole time. I wanted to you to tell first before my birthday. You see-"

"So my annoying best friend was really a sophisticated mare this whole?" Octavia said rather angry.

"Yes..." The white unicorn cringed, realizing she might have made a mistake.

"So I had an really awesome sister this WHOLE time. One who possibly doesn't care about getting dirty?" Ask Sweetie fiercely.

"Yes..." The unicorn ears drooped enormously.

"I could have friendly 'lady-like' conversations all these years?" Octavia said.

"Well not reall-"

"So you're not your own girlfriend?" Sweetie asked her sister(?).

"...What..."

"Well I'm out of here. No dinner for you Vinyl." Octavia was on her way downstairs.

"No wait 'Tavi!" The DJ fashionista cried.

"Don't call me that. I don't wanna see you in a looooooong while, Vinyl. Rarity. Whoever." Octavia was pretty much scowling at her friend and going downstairs.

The unicorn sighed and looked at her sister. She also looked really, really angry. "Sweetie Belle..."

Sweetie Belle turned around frowning. And followed Octavia.

'I should have thought this out better.' The white unicorn cried for real now.


"Pst... Octy. Have we been little to harsh on her?"

"It served her right. She's been lying to us both and who knows how long and who else."

The front door opened. "Mom, Dad!" Sweetie said to guess who? Carrying saddle bags.

"Hello dearies. Seems like our eldest dear told her secret." Pearl Belle said happily.

"Kind of. And it was unacceptable! She's been lying to us all these years."

"So you know that she's a got a double life and that we're her parents?" Magnum asked sitting down.

"Yes, why did she not let me know she was more cooler then I thought she already was?" Sweetie said with a little rage.

"Did you two even let her finish?" Pearl asked.

"No..." Octavia and Sweetie said sheepishly together.

"We knew this was a possibility and we came prepared." Said Pearl levitation several photo album books, one was labeled V. Scratch, the was other R. Belle and again some other books and things. "Let us explain."

Author's Note:

Plot twist! Like you didn't see that coming. If I only knew how to write.
This story was inspired by my impatience for waiting for an other chapter from this story: The Real Rarity. I really like that story. And I did my own thing with it.
Bonus points if you get the intended reference in the title.
And yes I know that Vinyl and Rarity don't have the same hue of white, shut up. Not that it matters anyway.