• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 1,484 Views, 48 Comments

Umbral Shadows - pchn00



Is a pony still a pony if raised by creatures so unlike herself there is literally no comparison between the two?

  • ...
2
 48
 1,484

Chapter 8: Endings and Beginnings

Chapter 8: Endings and Beginnings

Neela gasps and stumbles, I almost do the same. “ALL of them? All of our sisters and…and the queen?” I can barely speak the words. “How could this have happened?”

The scout matches our pace with ease. “The workers, they are all changelings. They have infiltrated our home. Princess Kilanna poisoned the rest of the princesses at the meeting she called. The scouts are fighting as best we can but it is…difficult. They look like family one moment then attack the next.”

My eyes shift to Tak, the suddenly oddly tall and…I do not wish to say regal looking but I can think of no other word to describe his imposing new form…changeling racing at my side. He is running into danger with no thought for himself. “Kasson take charge of the scouts. Rally them to yourself. Attack anyone behaving suspiciously…err on the side of caution. I accept responsibility for wrongful deaths.”

He snaps his mandibles…clearly agitated. “Should you not be taking command Commander?”

I shake my head. “I must confront Kilanna. Only royalty may challenge royalty regardless of circumstance. Tak I want you do protect Neela. She will show you to her personal chambers.” I look to my sister. “Barricade your chambers. Tak will keep you safe.”

Both changeling and princess protest immediately…shouting over the other to be heard.

“I’m not leaving your side Umbra!”

“I am royalty as well; it is my right to challenge Kilanna as much as yours!”

I stop and slam a hoof down…cracking the stone. Both stop their shouting immediately. “You will do as I say. I am the highest authority in the family aside from Kilanna. Go to your chambers. Tak I am trusting you to protect my sister.”

They both exchange an unhappy look. “Alright Umbra, I’ll look after your sister. But once I’m sure she’s safe I’m coming for you.”

Neela does not speak. We enter our home tunnels to find pandemonium. Bright green flashes of magical light flare in every direction. I hear spider and changeling screams mingle together in a horrible symphony of violence and death. I am no unaffected…and find myself deeply unsettled. I can see my feelings mirrored on Tak’s face…Kasson and Neela however both remain impassive. Each rushing to their assigned duties. Tak casts one last look my way before rushing down a tunnel at Neela’s side.

Satisfied the resourceful changeling can keep my sister safe I make for mother’s chamber. A builder lunges at me from the shadows and I do not hesitate. I rear back smashing my forehooves against its head. It gives with a sickening crunch, and with a flash I find a changeling’s body smashed beneath my hooves. The sticky substance coating my forelegs nearly causes me to retch. I do not know why this violence is suddenly so upsetting to me.

There are small pockets of fighting all around me. My glorious scouts fight bravely, and are more than a match for any two or three changelings…but they seem to have replaced our worker caste completely. They outnumber my scouts at least five to one. I am torn between aiding them and getting to my mother’s side. I was told she was already dead but I refuse to believe it. With a cry I fling myself at the nearest fighting group easily dispatching the scouts attackers.

He looks up at me, hope flashing in his eyes. “Commander, you are here!”

I nod and do not speak as I leap to the next group. Each liberated scout bolsters the force now gathering at my sides. It is slow going…agonizingly so. Each moment I am away from mother tears me apart inside but I cannot abandon my scouts. It takes me a moment to realize we have nearly reached the royal web. I look back at the brave members of the scout caste behind me.

“Kasson is rallying all he can in the western tunnels. Go to him and lend him your aid. Remove these vermin from our home!”

As one they snap off a salute. “Yes commander!” Then they are gone. Any spiderkin can move quietly when they wish to, but the members of the scout caste can be swift and silent as shadows. Soon the tunnels behind me are empty…save the many, many dead. With a shudder I turn back toward the entrance to mother’s chamber and step inside.

I must admit Kilanna looks impressive in her armor. Each of the princess’ has a suit of their own, though to my knowledge I am the only to receive hers from Spinner. The ridged plates cover her vulnerable upper torso, with a helmet similar to my own upon her head. At her waist a viciously barbed whip is coiled on one side, the other a flanged mace.

I look from my treacherous sister to the queen. My mother’s chest rises and falls…she lives if barely. “Umbra! My dear sister, I am so glad you and Neela returned! I was worried my new friends would have to hunt you down.” That is when I notice the changelings along the walls and ceiling. All cackling wickedly.

“Kilanna! What have you done?! You murdered our kin…and allied yourself with these creatures? Spinner and the warriors will destroy you when they return!”

She throws back her head and laughs. “What have I done? I have claimed my rightful place in the family of course. It will endure and strengthen under my rule and through the pact I form with the changelings. As for Spinner…he is powerful but he is male. He will follow the dominant female…who is me by the way.” She sighs as she turns to regard the queen. “I admit I was worried the poison I had been feeding her would not work in such small doses. Fortunately our sisters had the decency to succumb more quickly…at least they did something right for once.”

My eyes narrow as I lower my head, digging a hoof into the stone. “I will stop you Kilanna.”

She turns to face me again, sneering gleefully. “Will you? WILL you stop me oh mighty Scout Commander Umbra?” The smile vanishes as soon as it appeared. “Kill her.”

Suddenly the walls and ceiling swarm to life as dozens of changelings descend upon me. I kick out with my hind legs crushing the muzzles of the two immediately behind me, and then fling myself forward goring another with my horn. It is…painful. I have never tried to attack anything with the stubby thing, and it is far more sensitive than I ever imagined.
Still I push through the pain and continue my attack. Calling on my leaping magic I spring away from the throng and crush another pair as I land. My confidence rises as I turn to smash my hoof into another’s face…then I see her.

Bleeding Heart! Here? Now? But how?! She-realization dawns on me too late as the changeling who had stolen the image of my beloved friend from my very thoughts spins and bucks me solidly in the jaw. With a solid crack her hooves connect and I am flung into the air to land with a pained cry amidst the changeling swarm that waste no time battering me with their hooves and horns, some try to tear into my exposed flesh with their fangs.

My armor does an admirable job softening the blows, and my flailing hooves send more than one changeling reeling back screeching in pain. But it is too little. I cannot get to my hooves, I cannot focus my magic and there are so…so many of them.

Then I am temporarily blinded as a brilliant streak rips through the changelings immediately above me. They reel back screeching, trailing green flames. The throng parts for a moment and I see them. Tak’s horn still glowing angrily and brightly illuminating mother’s chamber. Neela at his side in her own armor, the daggers she favors still sheathed at her sides but a pair of web sacs filled with one of our alchemical concoctions in either hand.

She does not delay in flinging the sacs into the pack of changelings. They webbing bursts and showers them in hissing viscous fluids eliciting more screams of pain and surprise. Now she draws her weapons and surges forward with a fury I could not have imagined from my timid sister. Her blades whistle through the air leaving dead or dying changelings with each swipe. Her armored legs rise and fall, slashing, gouging, and impaling changelings.

Tak is not content to let Neela do all the fighting. He releases more gouts of powerful magical fire from his horn as he charges at her side. His kin fall before their combined assault with startling efficiency as they clear a path to me. Neela hauls me to my hooves as I slowly regain my wits.

“Deal with Kilanna! We will slaughter this filth!” She is so…fearsome. Tak fights just as hard, but there is pain in his eyes. He is not enjoying the battle with his own kind…but he slays them for my sake. I feel a strange warmth spreading from my chest to the rest of my limbs, forcing the pain and fatigue away.

With a nod I spring toward our eldest sister who has already readied her weapons. The whip snaps out at me and I turn my head at the last second and it merely cracks against my armored side. Then I am upon her. I lunge to the side as her mace strikes the space I occupied seconds ago sending up a shower of sparks and splintered stone. With a cry of triumph I turn and buck my hind legs directly into the carapace protecting her vitals where her upper and lower halves meet.

Something is not right however…there is no crack, in fact I am pushed back. Then she laughs. “Mighty Umbra! Slayer of the fearsome Grabber! Victorious over roving packs of Clackers! Did you truly think your deformed little STUMPS could harm me? Could pierce the shell of TRUE royalty?” Her mace whips down again and just clips my side but it is enough to send me stumbling back. She laughs again and comes on in a rush now. Her legs slamming the ground all about me trying to pierce my armor…and I know they shall if she lands a hit.

It is all I can do to hop, skip, and scramble away from her relentless assault, barely keeping one step ahead. Then I stumble on a rock and stagger back. Kilanna crows in triumph and rises to slam a killing blow…when a green ray lances over my head and strikes her in the eyes. She recoils with a shriek…unprepared and unused to the bright light.

I do not waste the opportunity Tak has given me. I leap forward and slam my hooves down upon her softer shoulder. She screams in pain now, even through her armor she feels the force of my blow and the arm holding her whip goes slack. One of her flailing legs catches me and flings me away, but there is little force and I land on my hooves, charging again. I am emboldened to find Tak charging at my side, his horn flaring and peppering my sister with several more blasts staggering her back with each that connects.

I am upon her again, this time leaping onto her back and slamming my hind hooves into her armored back…now there is the crack I am waiting to hear. She screams in pain and to my horror whips around to glare directly at Tak, her sight recovered. One of her legs hitches around my own and flings me to the side even as she raises her mace and smashes it with bone crunching force upon my changeling friend’s head.

My legs fail me and I stagger to my knees as Tak falls. The glossy black carapace of his skull cracked and weeping blood. With a disdainful grunt Kilanna kicks the changelings’ body aside and he lands with a thud beside me. I look down upon my friend and for the second time feel tears flow unbidden. I do not even react as she stalks up behind me.

“You managed to harm me Umbra…I will admit I am impressed. But I am through playing with you rejects.” I do not try to move as her leg raises and she brings it down upon my back. I only gasp softly as it pierces through my armor and out my abdomen. I hear Neela shriek a denial and Kilanna is flung away, the leg impaling me violently ripped out.

It is…harder to breath and I lay beside my dying friend. I do not care that my life is ending. I have lost nearly everything that I care about…it is better this way. I do not belong here…I never did. I crawl closer to Tak, resting my nose against his. If I am to die…at least it will be with my friend.

Then…his eye cracks open. “…you look…terrible…”

I laugh…and taste coppery fluid upon my tongue and lips. “As do you.” Then I remember his appearance when we first met. He was hurt, perhaps not as badly as now…but still. Feeding from my emotions healed his wounds. “Tak…save yourself.”
The mirth leaves his eyes. “Umbra I can’t…you’re too badly hurt. You’ll never survive.”

I cough again. “You grow stronger…the more you take yes? Promise you will destroy Kilanna…and I will die happy.”
He groans and closes his eyes…for a moment I fear he has passed. Then his horn flickers to life. “Think of…something powerful. A powerful emotion…the strongest you can.”

I know precisely what to feel. I have never felt something this strong in my life and will be glad if I do not feel it again. I feel the transfer begin…it becomes even more difficult to focus as Tak feeds…longer than he ever has before. He stops…and I feel the power radiating from him. With great effort I watch as he steps over me, and I shuffle to see what has his focus.
Neela is still fighting Kilanna, both sporting numerous wounds. My younger sister is fighting valiantly, but Kilanna is nearly twice her size and strength. The end is an inevitability. I want to cry out as Kilanna’s mace smashes against Neela’s arm, crushing it and sending her sprawling. Then Tak’s horn flares and he shouts his fury…another beam lancing out and striking Kilanna in the chest.

The chamber is silent for a moment. It is illuminated by Tak’s still glowing horn…and we can see the hole the size of her own fist burned cleanly through Kilanna’s chest. It is Tak who speaks first.

“Your sister is very angry with you. VERY angry.”

Kilanna staggers and clenches her hand against the garish wound. So preoccupied with her own plight, she does not take notice of Neela slipping behind her.

“We are both very angry.” Then Neela plunges her dagger into the back of Kilanna’s head. Our eldest sister’s body goes rigid…then slowly slides to the floor.

Tak is at my side then…Neela on the other. Both have such sad looks on their faces. It is making me want to cry all over again. Before either can speak our gaze is drawn to the queen. Who is slowly moving. She is so pale to be almost white, with agonizing slowness she lifts her legs, descending from her web to settle among us.
“My…daughters. I am…heartened to see you survive.”

Neela does not bow as is customary…and I cannot for obvious reasons. Instead my formerly timid sister stands tall. “I am glad we could speak one last time mother.”

She nods slowly. “Yes…I am not long for this world.” She has to pause to take several labored breaths. “But I leave it knowing a strong and good queen will lead our family into the future.”

Then mother shifts her gaze to me…and the changeling at my side. She smiles…then laughs weakly. “Oh my little Umbra…such strange friends you make. And so very unbecoming of you…to let your emotions so decide your actions.” She clicks her tongue disapprovingly. “I thought I taught you better.” But there is no malice…no true disappointment I her tone and her smile does not fade. She gently scoops me into her hands and lifts me to eye level with her.

I lift my head weakly. “I…do not know why I have been behaving…so poorly. I beg you…forgive me.” My own breathing is as labored as mothers…I feel better knowing she will not be departing alone.

She shakes her head slowly. “It is…in your nature Umbra. Who you are meant to be…and whoever you become…know that you are always my daughter. And that I always love you.”

Now it is my turn to laugh. “Of course I know you love me…as I love you mother. Though I…” I grit my teeth against a wave of fresh pain. “…I do not believe…my future is of consequence.”

Another reproachful click of her tongue. “Silly child…it is just a little cut…” She lifts me to her lips, as they gently brush against the garish wound in my back. “It is customary for mother’s to kiss such…inconsequential sores to make them better.”

As her lips touch my back I feel a cool rush of energy surging through my body. Then…the pain is gone. I lift my head in wonder…then let it fall when I see the light in my mother’s eyes is gone. She is dead.

I rise to my hooves and make my way back to Tak’s side…I can tell he is barely containing himself and so with a heavy sigh I am the first to step forward, resting my head against his shoulder in an embrace he swiftly returns. I am still crying…but the tears feel different…refreshing.

Neela coughs gently and we part. “Umbra we must cleans the rest of the tunnels of these invaders before we rest. Come…your scouts need you.”

My eyes are closed as I stand still…taking several deep breaths to collect myself, before I finally nod. “Yes. Let us finish this awful business.”

There is little for us to do at the end of it. Kasson has done an admirable job routing the changeling force on his own, the reinforcements I freed up turned the tide decisively. Soon we are dumping changeling carcasses by the dozen in the feeding rooms. “Kasson select several veteran scouts to perform duty in the hatcheries. With our worker caste decimate they will need to fill in until more are hatched.”

He grunts. “Doubt many are going to be happy about that, but they will do their duties of course Commander.” We are alone and so he steps closer. “…are you alright?”

I take a deep breath. “No. I am…I am very far from alright. But I will see my own duties through to the end. For now let us attend Queen Neela.”

Kasson looks as if he wants to say more but I stride briskly from the chamber toward the royal web. Mother’s body is gone…I know what Neela has done with it, but I do not think on it. That is the way of the spiderkin. The dead are used to strengthen the living. She will grow strong feeding from our mother.

Spinner has returned and is already in the royal chambers. He is…agitated, constantly clenching the hilts of his blades as if trying to will an opponent to appear. Our remaining sister is perched on mothers…on her web looking only slightly intimidated. She brightens as I enter.

“Umbr…er…Scout Commander! Things are going well? The tunnels are clear?”

I nod. “Yes my queen, our home is secured once more.”

“What of Tak? I wished to thank him personally.”

I glance at our violence prone brother. “I believe he felt it prudent to await me outside the home tunnels.”

Neela frowned now. “Awaiting you for what purpose Umbra? You are needed here. There is much to do.”

I scuff the floor with my hoof now. I knew this would be difficult. “I…am leaving Neela. I plan to travel to the surface.”

I do not know if Spinner is shocked by my lack of protocol regarding the queen, or my pronouncement. For Neela of course it is the latter. “L…LEAVING? After all this?! What of the scouts?!”

Poor Spinner’s head is whipping from his insubordinate sister to his unseemly emotional sister. Our poor brother is looking more unsettled as the conversation continues.

“I wish to formally pass my title to Kasson. He has more than proven himself worthy of the position.” Neela has descended to stand before me. “I have to go Neela. I do not know who I am anymore. I am your sister…and I love you dearly but…I am also a pony. I feel I must go out into the world and learn what that means. I only hope I will be welcomed home when I return.”

Neela’s eyes shoot to Spinner and I could see her wrestling to contain the words she wanted to say…she did not hold them back for long. “You cannot go Umbra. I need you here with me…at my side. Please sister…I cannot do this alone.”

I smile now. “You will not be alone Neela. You have Spinner…you know how capable he is. And you will have Kasson. He served mother longer than any of us were alive…he will be a valuable font of wisdom. I do not ask you to understand…merely to accept that I must leave.”

She was silent for several moments. “While I do not understand…I give you my blessing on your journey. Know that your sister, and that your queen wish you well. A safe journey and speedy return.”

Partly because I wish to more than anything, and partly because I am getting a considerable amount of joy from so unsettling our normally cool and collected brother I throw my forelegs around Neela’s waist in a firm embrace. One that she returns just as strongly.

“I will return with stories of the surface Neela. Perhaps with new friends for you to meet.” We finally separate and I approach Spinner, whose eyes widen and he backs off hastily. With a snicker I stop and bow formally. “Thank you brother, for everything you did for me.”

He clears his throat gruffly, clearly uncomfortable with the raw emotion in the room. “Y…yes well…as her majesty said. Safe journey and speedy return Umbra. Kasson is only interim scout commander, the title is yours.”

I bow my head accepting his words. “Until then, keep each other safe.” I turn and trot briskly from the chamber leaving the only family I have left behind. I have little I need to gather from my own chambers. I sling my bag across my back. I do not need to turn to know who has entered behind me. “I am disappointed we cannot see Colton together.”

Kasson snaps his mandibles in his usual sign of agitation. “You could have asked me if I wanted the position before thrusting it upon me.”

With a little smirk I turn to face him. “It could be no one else. If not you than Spinner would have to take the burden upon himself again, and I have a feeling he will be incredibly busy as it is.”

Another sharp snap. “…I suppose that is true. Still…you must be careful on the surface. While the beasts and dangers are not as numerous, it is not free of them. Listen to your pet changeling; he will guide you well I am sure.”

With a frown I shake my head. “Tak is not a pet…he is a friend. As dear a friend to me as you are.”

He turns away now. “You are most certainly a pony. Go find your own kind…learn what you may of them and return if you wish.”

I nudge his side with a hoof. “Goodbye Kasson, I will miss you too.”

And then I am gone, leaving my home behind hopefully not for the last time, but certainly for the longest time. The trip to Bleeding Heart’s chamber passes all too swiftly, and I find Tak waiting for me.

“Heya kid! Y’ready t’get goin’?”

I scowl. “Why are you small again? And sound stupid again…”

He affects a hurt look. “Stupid?! I’ll have ya know this here is a gen-u-ine Fillydelphia accent y’little ingrate.”

I snort at his antics…but they make me smile. “The entrance the intruders used is sealed; do you know another way to the surface?”

His wings buzz as he crosses the chamber to land at my side, then sets out along the path sloping upward. “Sure do, stick with me kid an’ I’ll gitcha all over Equestria! We’ll see all th’sights. Las Pegasus, Filly o’course my personal fav’rite! The Big Orange herself, Manehattan! Mebbe Canterlot…though them Canterlot folk ain’t too fond’a my kind.”

“I wish to meet Princess Luna.”

He urks and staggers a bit. “Uh…kid meetin’ onna th’princesses ain’t exactly somethin’ just anypony can wander in an’ do. They’re pretty big deals.”

I ignore him and continue walking the direction he was leading a moment ago and he rushes to catch up. “I also intend to find the thief who stole Bleeding Heart’s sword.”

This seems to please him even less than my previous goal. “What for kid? They’re probly long gone.”

“I do not care how long they have been gone. I will find my treasured friend’s property and return it to its proper resting place. Will you assist me or not?”

With a sigh and a shake his head he chuckles. “Yeah yeah I’ll help ya kid, ‘course I will. Y’don’t even hafta ask. But things don’t work th’same up there. Ponies don’t take kindly t’strangers attackin’ em.”

“If the thief surrenders the shield without incident then there will be no need to attack anyone.”

“Anypony.”

I raise an eyebrow and look back at him…he simply shrugs. “Hey y’wanna blend in y’gotta learn th’lingo. Anypony…not anyone.”

I scowl. “That is moronic.”

He shrugs again. “Hey I didn’t singlehoofedly craft th’equestrian language kid. I just speak if fluent-like.”

I scowl at his use of singlehoofedly. “Is everything in their speech based around…ponies and their anatomy.”

My changeling friend laughs aloud now, shaking his head. “Oh kid…y’got NO idea.”

I had not even realized we were approaching the end of the tunnel…and it opened up to the surface. Tak moved ahead without hesitation. I pause only a moment…then take my first steps out into the surface world.

Author's Note:

Hope everypony enjoyed this! I had fun writing it. The second part of Umbra's story should start sometime next week, it'll be called Umbral Travels so keep an eye out if you wanna follow her journey up in surface Equestria.

Comments ( 13 )

I just ralized that this story remembers me of Drizzt Do'Urden's... But I have to say that I like this even more :pinkiehappy:

2161993
And Umbra isn't whiny all the time! :x (I do not like Drizzt XD) I'm all about Liriel Baenre for a drow main character in a novel. The only surface drow who still acts like a drow!

2162269

The name doesn't ring any bell, but I agree with you: born as a drow, live like a drow!

2166467
She was the lead in a trilogy by Elaine Cunningham. They're on the older side by now, Daughter of the Drow was the first.

If this story is going to have drow references, you better have on for Jarlaxle, damn it!

2468751
I hadn't even thought of that. Now I feel like the opposite of a drow fan. :/

2468937
How the hell do you forget Jarlaxle!?!? :twilightangry2::flutterrage::facehoof: The guy slept with a dragon for Luna's sake. He should be the second drow that ever pops into your head. The first, obviously being Drizzt.

2471100
Though Tak is pretty similar to Jarlaxle. With the flippant attitude but cunning mind underneath. :o Plus he's crazy dangerous when riled up.

2752618
I used to do a lot of online RPing, DnD sessions and such. We used them a lot for pauses in words, it's a bad habit I kept I'm afraid.

yay dan dan dann lol :heart::heart::heart::heart::fluttershysad::fluttercry::fluttercry:

This story is definitely underrated.

This is really strange.
The town I live in is called Kasson...:rainbowderp:

interesting and good.

Login or register to comment