• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 1,481 Views, 48 Comments

Umbral Shadows - pchn00



Is a pony still a pony if raised by creatures so unlike herself there is literally no comparison between the two?

  • ...
2
 48
 1,481

Chapter 6: Familial Machinations

Chapter 6: Familial Machinations

It has been several days since my skirmish with the Clackers. My leg has healed swiftly and I was accompanying patrols after a day of rest. Each excursion I have learned more and more from the scouts I tail along with. Of course I do not think I needed to experience being swallowed by a giant worm to learn it was not something I wished to experience, but releasing one of my acids within the beast was enough to affect my escape. It was not an experience I wish to relive, and the scouts teased me endlessly about the odor on the walk home.

That is another change. Now the scouts actively seek my company, whether on duty or not. I have learned several games of chance they partake in on their free time and find I enjoy spending time with them. Of course my tutoring in alchemy has not gone neglected and Neela has proven to be a most wonderful and eager student. She has even begun experimentations of her own…thus far she has learned that a fire beetle bladder is capable of burning her eyebrows off, but her efforts make me proud.

Mother is pleased to see me flourishing finally. I believe she was fearful of my reaction to learning my supposed origin but the names in her story hold no meaning to me save a vague curiosity that I feel no real compulsion to explore. Perhaps this Princess Luna pony is my birth mother, if so she has obviously not felt the need to seek me out so why should I seek her?

I excuse myself from my normal duties today. It has been sometime since I visited the pony ghost and Tak, and I am curious to see how the outpost in the upper tunnels is coming. Tak revealed an entrance to the surface there that he used to enter our territory and while he has been a benign presence I do not want more hostile creatures to blunder into our tunnels.

As I approach the exit into the tunnels I am surprised to find Neela waiting for me. She brightens at my approach and though I am confused to her presence here it pleases me. We have become closer and closer the past week. “Neela is there something you needed?”

I suppress a chuckle as she chews her lip again, somehow never penetrating her lip with her fangs. “Well…I was hoping to accompany you?”

Now my smile fades. It is not so unreasonable a request and one I would normally grant, were I not also planning to visit two very unusual friends in the upper tunnels. “Are you not worried for your safety?”

She shakes her head. “Of course not. With the heroic scout commander seeing to my safety?” She titters her pleasant laugh and I cannot stop a smile from forming.

Slowly I nod. “You may come…so long as you follow my instructions without question. Agreed?”

At her eager nod we set out into the tunnels together. Neela looks a touch frightful and stays close to my side. “These tunnels are very safe Neela, there are no real twists or bends between us and our destination and a sizeable contingent of scouts and builders lay at the end fortifying a new outpost. We are perfectly safe.”

She regards me curiously. “If it is so safe why the question earlier?”

I frown as I realize she has trapped me in a bit of a lie. “I…do not wish to be dishonest. I am visiting two friends as well as checking on the outpost.”

Now her curiosity grows. “Friends? Some of your scouts?”

I shake my head. “No…they are…not of the family.”

All eight of her eyes widen at this. “But they live within our tunnels? Does…mother know?”

I look up at her and shake my head slowly. “She does not…but they are no threat to us. One is a spirit of a deceased creature shaped like myself. The other is…” I am unsure of how to explain Tak’s presence to Neela. He is of a race our family has been at war with for as long as the two have existed so far as I know. “…the other is a source of information.”
She seems more interested in the former. “Shaped like yourself? Another defect?” She immediately winces realizing what she has just called me.

I admit it stings to hear the words, though I know there is no malice in them. “I suppose so. She cannot speak. She has been…a good listener for me.”

Realization dawns on her as she nods, regarding me a touch sadly. “Yes…you were always…very alone when you were young weren’t you?”

I smile up at her to show the past does not harm me anymore. “I was, but then I discovered her and she has been a good companion to me. Even without words I know she cares and is concerned. She enjoys my presence as much as I do hers I believe.”

Neela returns my smile, glad the conversation is turning positive again. “And the other? Information you said?”

I chew my lip now in a good imitation of Neela’s gesture when she is hesitant to speak. “His name is Tak. He is…a changeling.” Neela gasps loudly. “I know…I know it is…very hard to fathom. But Tak has broken from his family, he was alone and dying. I do not know why I helped him…or why I told no one of his presence but he has likewise proven to be a good friend. I have not known him long but I firmly believe he means us no harm. He is not like we have heard his people to be.”

My sister lapses into an uncomfortable silence as she processes this information. Several moments pass before she finally speaks. “I do not believe you would have allowed his presence if he were a danger. I trust your judgment Umbra.”
I smile brightly. “Thank you Neela. You will see, they are good…creatures.”

We are nearing our destination before she speaks again. “Umbra…what is the specter’s name?”

I shrug helplessly. “As I told you she cannot speak, so I do not know.”

She looks confused now. “Surely there are other ways of communicating aside from speech Umbra.”

The simply observation causes me to frown. She is correct. If I had tried hard enough I am sure I could have riddled her name out by now. Am I so self-absorbed that I only thought of the spirit as a silent source for me to vent on? A sort of sentient journal?

“You are right Neela…we shall endeavor to correct that today.” My sister smiles at the determination in my voice.

We finally enter my friend’s cavern and Neela cannot hide a gasp at the great skeletons strewn about. She scuttles toward one in excitement as I approach my friends resting place. I do not immediately see Tak about…perhaps he is not here. Or hiding from Neela. My sister’s attention is pulled from the massive draconic skull as the spirit appears in a swirl of silvery motes. Neela approaches slowly, hand held over her eyes to stave some of the harsh glare.

My friend looks from her to me questioningly and I smile. “This is my sister, Princess Neela.” My friend turns to Neela and dips into a low bow as she approaches.

Neela circles her and the pile of bones that were her mortal body slowly, examining her carefully. “Goodness Umbra she looks very much like you does she not?”

I am not hiding my nerves well. “Indeed…it was what drew me to her in the first place. We were both born with such deformities after all.” I give the spirit a pleading look.

She rolls her eyes and though she makes no sound, and no air escapes her nostrils I know she is snorting in exasperation. Though she looks to my sister and smiles radiantly.

“Have a care, do not touch her remains. The shield she bears reacts poorly to any trying to touch her.” Neela instantly snaps back the curious hand she was reaching toward her.

“Tak are you about? It is safe to come out.” Neela jumps back at the sound of Tak’s buzzing wings slowly descending from the cavern ceiling above. She watches his approach stiffly, looking ready to spring for the exit. I move to stand at his side, to show Neela it is safe.

Tak looks from her to me with a faint frown. “Uh…good t’see ya again kid. This…one of yer siblings then?” At my nod he mimics the spirits bow. “A pleasure yer highness. Yer sister’s been very good t’me.”

Neela seems to have recovered her wits somewhat, put at ease by my relaxed posture and Tak’s surprising politeness. He certainly does not speak so formally to ME. Gingerly my sister approaches again. “I…thank you…Tak. Umbra has spoken highly of you.”

He looks at me and flashes the smirk I am far more used to seeing on his face. “Izzat so? Betchur a little smitten with ol’Tak eh kid?”

I snort and stalk passed him to take my customary seat by my first friend’s remains. Neela does not attempt to hide her giggling at my expense. I look at the spirit with a slight frown. “Neela has made me realize perhaps there is a way you can share your name with us without words?”

She raises her eyebrows at my query and sits, tapping a hoof to her muzzle in contemplation. Tak’s wings buzz as he lands on the other side of her. “Hey good idea. Why don’tcha do some charades or somethin’ for us.”

She brightens almost instantly at his suggestion and nods standing again. She taps a hoof silently on the cave floor twice. Neela and I exchange equally clueless looks while Tak chuckles at our ignorance. “Two words. Her name’s two words ladies.”

She nods rapidly as the realization dawns on me. “How are you so knowledgeable about this…communication method?”
Tak rolls his eyes. “It’s a game fer foals an such among ponies.”

Neela blinks and looks from the spirit to Tak. “What is a ponies?”

Tak looks to me and seems at a loss for words for once. My own eyes are wide as I try to subtly shake my head no. “Er…ponies’re folk who live up on th’surface. Don’t worry about it princess.”

Neela seems satisfied with his answer and we again look to the spirit. She seems to ponder a moment, and then draws a spectral blade from the shield on her leg. She pantomimes drawing the blade across her throat, then with her hoof mimics…something spraying or gushing from the wound.

“Slash!

“Wound!”

“Gush!”

I tilt my head. “Bleed?” She blinks and gestures.

“She says that’s close kid. Uh…izzit bleeds? Bleeder?”

“Bleeding?” Neela asks.

The spirit nods emphatically and now the three of us exchange a look at her gruesome nomenclature. She huffs and waves for our attention again. This time drawing a pair of curves in the air with her hooves, then sloping them downward to meet in the middle.

She has once more stumped Neela and I but Tak just smirks. “Heart. Yer name’s Bleeding Heart.”

My friend…Bleeding Heart…nods with a happy smile. It is such a simple thing, having ones name known. Yet I can see the happiness and relief in her eyes. It must have been painful to have no name for so long. “Bleeding Heart.” I speak the name slowly, as if testing it. “It is a bit…morbid.”

She crosses her forelegs over her chest affecting an offended look, but Tak laughs. “Nah kid, it’s a phrase up above. They say if ya got a bleedin’ heart yer a real…generous an altruistic sort. It’s a good name.”

Bleeding Heart nods in approval of Tak’s information and I slowly nod, looking at her in a new light. Reluctantly I rise to my hooves; I have an actual duty in the upper tunnels today. “I will return soon.”

Neela looks at me unable to conceal her nervousness. I suppose being left alone with a ghost and a changeling WOULD seem a bit daunting, especially for my timid sister. I smile to her though. “I will not be gone long Neela, stay and speak with my friends.”

Slowly she nods her assent and I turn making my way out. I can hear their quite conversation as I proceed through the tunnels toward a massive chamber. It is tall enough I cannot see the ceiling, though I know a number of scouts and workers are above. I make my way up the nearest wall and onto the thin span of stone that crosses either end of the chamber. It is a long climb and a highly defensible position. It is why I had the outpost crafted above rather than below.

The rustling above is almost impossible to detect, but gazing up my dark sight clearly outlines each of the spiderkin milling about above me. I gesture and the squad leader spins a thread and lowers himself to the span beside me. Snapping off a crisp salute that I return, he relaxes. “Good to see you Commander. To what do we owe the pleasure?”

I look about slowly, their outpost is nearly finished. Very thick webs spun about the ceiling make perfect places for rest and food storage. I look from the ceiling toward a smooth round tunnel leading upward steeply. I speak as I walk toward it. “I wished to see your progress and determine how well you were settling in. Nothing more.”

He nods as he moves at my side. “Careful Commander, do not look to the tunnels end for long.”

Despite the warning now I am curious. I peer through the smoothly cut tunnel and gasp flinching back. At the end is by far the brightest light I have ever seen. It takes me several moments of rapidly blinking to get my sight back. “This tunnel leads to the surface!”

The scout nods with an annoyed clack of his mandibles. “It does. Though it has not been used in who knows how long. Many years if the dust and dirt about is any indicator. We were planning to block the entrance.”

“No!” He actually jumps back in alarm from my sudden shout. I frown and shake my head. “No…do not block the exit.”

He looks at me, I can see the desire to question my order in his eyes but he is too well trained to actually voice it. “Very well Commander…what are your orders regarding it then?”

I look down at the floor beneath my hooves, considering. Why DO I wish it to remain open? Surely it would be safer to seal it and forget its existence. But…no. No. I shake my head firmly. “I was in error. Make preparations to seal it properly.”

He seems relieved. “Yes Commander. Perhaps one of your brews could melt the stone and seal it up proper?”

I turn my gaze back to the tunnel and nod as I consider it. “Yes that is a fine idea. It will take several days to prepare enough, but I can be done. Carry on.” Another exchange of salutes and I make my way back to the spirit…to Bleeding Heart’s cavern.

All eyes turn to me as I enter. “All is well Umbra?”

I nod to my sister. “The outpost is finished. A tunnel to the surface has been discovered. I will seal it soon.”

Tak and Heart exchange a look as Neela nods. “That is good. Though unlikely we do not want any surface monsters making their way into our home.”

Now the pair seems on the verge of bursting into laughter looking from me to Neela, who mercifully seems oblivious to their growing mirth. “I believe we should return home Neela. You and I have much acid to craft.”

She nods and rises looking from Tak to Bleeding Heart. “It was a pleasure to meet both of you. And worry not; I will not divulge your presence either. A friend of my sister is a friend to me.”

Both bow again and Tak flashes her a subdued version of his smirk he seems only to use for me. “Y’have my thanks princess. It means a lot t’me.”

I notice Tak looks…thin once again. “Neela go ahead of me. I will catch up shortly.”

She blinks and chews her lip before nodding. “Yes sister…I will see you at home.”

She scurries out without another word and Tak chuckles. “She seems like a good kid.”

I shrug. “She is my elder in fact. I am the youngest after all. I did not wish her to see you feed. It may unsettle her.”
Pain flashes across Tak’s face as he nods. “Ah...yeah it’s pretty awful I s’pose. I can’t thank ya enough fer puttin’ up with this kid.”

I wave a hoof dismissively. Bleeding Heart just smiles approvingly at me as I settle on the floor. The now familiar feel of Tak drawing on my emotion sweeps through my body and I lazily blink off the drowsy sensation. The changeling is of course back to full health.

As I turn to go his voice stops me. “Y’know…we could go up.”

I turn back, brow furrowed. “Go up where?”

He gestures with a hoof. “All th’way up. Th’surface y’know? Aint’cha a little curious bout where ya come from kid?”
Immediately I shake my head no…even if his words stir something in my heart. Am I not the least bit curious? Perhaps…perhaps I am. I raise my eyes to meet his and do not see his usual cocksure smirk. He is concerned, deeply concerned for me I can tell. I look to Bleeding Heart and to my chagrin see her expression mirroring the changelings.

He continues before I can speak. “I know ya love yer ma an yer family an what not kid. This’ yer place, where ya belong an that’s great thatcha have it but I know somethin’ about wonderin’ about where ya came from kid. It ain’t a good feelin’ t’know y’can NEVER go see it.”

Course manners aside Tak truly does seem to possess a worldly wisdom I sadly lack. While I do not now desire a visit to the surface, is it impossible I will not wish to go at some future date? It seems unlikely there are a large number of exits to the surface near home. Every one discovered is sealed up. For all I know this is the very last exit near home. Still…my duty is to my family. We have rules in place for a reason.

I shake my head. “It is not entirely my choice to make. I cannot jeopardize my families’ safety to satisfy a potential curiosity at some unknowable point in the future.”

The pair of them exchange a rather resigned look but he nods. “Well I can’t faultcha for yer integrity there kid. Still…just think about it alright?”

“Mm. Very well I will think on the matter. I will return soon.” I bid them a farewell and make my way out. I am not entirely surprised to find Neela lurking about outside Bleeding Heart’s cavern entrance. “How much did you over hear?”

It is an amusing sight, eight nervous eyes darting to and fro trying to avoid meeting one’s gaze. “Over hear? Nothing! Er…well…some…” She chews her lip. “All of it.”

My scowl could rival that of our mother’s when she is in one of her rare foul moods…and the look on Neela’s face is identical to that of one of us being on the receiving end of mother’s wrath. “Neela…you understand that what you overheard cannot be repeated to anyone in the family. Not the lowest worker and not any of our sisters.”

She does not seem to like this newest secret I am asking her to keep. “Umbra…you are not my sister by blood are you?”
I am relieved she phrased it as such, rather than saying I am not really her sister. This shows she considers me family still despite our different birth mothers. “I am not Neela. I am a…pony. Like Bleeding Heart. I have only just learned of this myself a short time ago from mother.”

Instantly relief floods her face. “Mother already knows? Thank goodness. I do not think I could keep so large a secret from her.”

I raise an eyebrow. “I would be very surprised if mother was unaware of the circumstances of one of her own hatchlings birth.”

Neela gives a nervous titter and shrugs. “True…I am sorry this is a lot to take in at once. I am sure you are already aware. I cannot imagine what you must have felt.”

I shrug as we walk. “I was angry at first. Hurt and betrayed. But I came to realize, mother loves me as her own despite not hatching from one of her eggs.” For that matter, do ponies come from eggs? I will have to ask Tak. “While I obviously cannot become queen, I am pleased that she has allowed me more authority and responsibility. It shows she trusts me implicitly.”

My sister smiles at my words. “Does anyone else know?”

“Spinner. Obviously Tak and Bleeding Heart. Otherwise no. And NO one, not even mother knows of the latter two.”
She chews her lip again as she mulls this over. “Well I will not tell anyone of your friends. Though…are you thinking of visiting the surface?”

Now I snort in exasperation. “Yes Neela…I am thinking of it. Just as I occasionally wonder at the taste of the toxins and acids I craft. Or of what it would be like to feed the way you do. I think of a great many things that I will never do.”
One of her legs gives me a playful poke in the side, tinking loudly against my armor. “I was only curious. You do not need to get so upset.”

“I apologize. It has been a very…strenuous time for me. Most of the changes have been pleasant but one obviously not so.”

“Changes?” It is a new voice…feminine like Neela’s though far deeper. More akin to mother’s. We look ahead to see our eldest sister Kilanna blocking the tunnel. She is twice as large as Neela, and most assume she will assume mother’s crown when she finally passes. “What sort of changes dear sister?”

She says sister with a sneer…as she always does. I stifle a sigh. “Merely my increased duties as Scout Commander. I am finding it a pleasant role though more demanding than my past pursuits.”

She nods with feigned concern. Moving to my side and nudging Neela less than gently away. Neela gives me an apologetic look before scurrying ahead to our home caverns. “If you find the role too difficult I am sure mother would relieve you of this burden. You always did seem happiest with your little plants.”

I force a smile and polite tone. “I am touched by your obvious concern dear sister, but I will have to refuse your most generous offer. While I find my alchemy easier, I enjoy my new role. It makes life easier for both Spinner and mother. And she has so many problems already.” I do not say she has six very specific problems, though Kilanna is perceptive. She knows my feelings for her.

Slowly she nods. “Yes you have always had a big heart Umbra. Mother’s favorite little pet.”

I bristle at her words but keep my temper under control. “Was there anything else you wished?”

She stops my brisk pace by slamming one large leg to the ground before my nose, the razor tip sinking into the stone slightly. “Yes. Mother is feeling unwell and has asked that I take on more of her duties. I have deployed Spinner and a large cadre of his warriors to the southern tunnels. Your scouts have seen increased changeling activity there yes?”

I cannot hide my alarm at her words. Mother is sick? I do not believe she has ever been sick in my entire life. And now she is sending a veritable army out to the furthest tunnels from home? “Yes…there have been more changelings though not in any number that my own patrols cannot handle. I believe sending Spinner is unnecessary.”

She shrugs and lifts her leg, allowing me to keep walking. “What you believe is of no consequence to me. Mother has put ME in charge little Umbra. Keep your head down and keep your queer little nose out of my affairs and I will leave you to your own.” With that she sweeps away, scattering worker and builder alike as she stalks through the tight tunnels.

I do not bother to hide my worry as I dash through the tunnels. I do not have to worry about colliding with anyone else in the tunnels, my hooves thunder loudly against the stone scattering any from my path well before I might run into them. Bursting into mother’s chambers I am both relieved and dismayed. She does not look…terrible. Though she is visibly unwell. The flesh on her humanoid half is closer to gray then its usual ebon black. Her eyes are half-lidded and she visibly sags in her web.

I approach in a more reserved manner. “Mother?”

Of course she heard me coming and seemed to have been waiting for me. “Hello Umbra…you look disturbed.”

I am practically hopping from hoof to hoof in a most undignified manner. “Kilanna said you were ill…I was worried.”

Slowly she nods. “I am feeling a little sick. It is nothing to be overly concerned about. I AM getting on in my years; I will be fine in a day or so of rest. Until then I have tasked Kilanna with more duties. She seems pleased.”

I am sure she is. More authority means now she can demand the groveling she so loves rather than having to go to mother and complain when it is not given. “She has sent Spinner to the furthest tunnels. With a good number of our warriors.”
Now she looks down at me with more focus. “Was it not your own scouts who reported a large swell in changeling activity there?”

“Well…yes. Though it is not so large a change my scouts cannot handle it. Sending Spinner and so many warriors was unnecessary.”

She shrugs. “Perhaps so great a force was not entirely needed, but neither will it hurt. They will put the changelings back in their own holes and tunnels. It is a heavy handed solution but one that will succeed. I expect you to show Kilanna the same amount of respect and deference you show me.”

I bristle but bow. “Of course mother. I am glad you seem well enough. I will leave you to your rest.”

She nods and settles back into her web, preparing to doze I would guess. I leave briskly. I do not enjoy feeling…angry with mother. Of all my sister’s Kilanna is the only one I actively dislike. The bulk of them may be useless whiners but they do not actively antagonize me as Kilanna does.

I give orders to the workers in my lab to prepare mass quantities of a potent stone melting acid. With all the scout patrols bringing me load after load of components it is not difficult to create; it will simply take time to ferment properly.

My last duty done I return to my chambers. I do not even bother to remove my armor…it is too much a hassle to take on and off by myself and I would rather not bother one of the workers with so menial a task. I simply thud onto my bedding with a grunt and close my eyes.

Between the nonsense with the tunnel to the surface and now Kilanna…this has not been a good day.