• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 1,484 Views, 48 Comments

Umbral Shadows - pchn00



Is a pony still a pony if raised by creatures so unlike herself there is literally no comparison between the two?

  • ...
2
 48
 1,484

Chapter 4: Origins and Promotions

Chapter 4: Origins and Promotions

I settle comfortably in the palm of mothers’ hand. I am still distressed at her admission but now I am curious to hear her tale. “Colton. This is where I was born?”

She nods, not bothering to hide the pain in her eyes. “Yes. Colton was a pony community on the surface. It was not too far from our tunnels and while we were not close friends, at times we would engage in trade. The ponies of Colton had split from their homeland of Equestria and settled in the valley of the Crystal Mountains above. I know little of the troubles that caused them to relocate but they must have been terrible to uproot from their homes.”

One of her eyes roves over my body, armor tarnished and coat matted with the Grabbers gore. With a little click of her tongue she works the clasps free and places my armor on the floor of her caverns. I fidget again…feeling the hatchling once more as she carries me to a stream of water running beneath her web beginning to clean my fur.

“At first I considered removing them from the valley. Ponies had lived there once many, MANY years ago but a great catastrophe caused them to leave. Those ponies were outright hostile to our kind. Not in the way of the Changelings who seek to take our territory, but if a pony saw a spiderkin on the surface we were attacked without provocation.”

Mother pauses in her story as she dunks me beneath the frigid flow of water. Again I squirm in protest but she ignores me as she always did when I was little and protested such treatment. Once she is satisfied I am clean she hauls me from the water and again carries me to her web. She looks somewhat amused at my no doubt bedraggled appearance. Mane and tail drooping with water. I vigorously shake myself dry showering her with little droplets in a bit of revenge. She smiles as she continues.

“When the valley was resettled it was some ways from their original home. Our scouts returned with stories of ponies frozen solid and a never ending blizzard so their reluctance to settle into their old homes was understandable. They named their new community Colton. I was prepared to dismiss their presence…but they began to explore the tunnels they discovered near their new homes. They had been away for many, many years and seemed to have forgotten our existence entirely.”
Despite my hurt feelings I felt myself drawn into mothers’ tale. She holds me close to her chest, one thumb running from my head to my tail in a gesture I used to find soothing as a hatchling. Evidently I still found it so as an adult, as I grow more calm and relaxed.

“Expecting the same hostile reactions but hoping otherwise, I sent scouts to meet with our neighbors once again. I was pleasantly surprised to find the ponies a good deal more…open to communication with us. Naturally they were surprised and put off by our appearance being so very alien to their own, but these new ponies seemed to have much warmer hearts then their ancestors. I learned much of their troubles. They brought tales of a monstrous spirit called Discord, and of the heroic alicorn princesses who over threw him.”

Alicorn. I sigh as I hear another word whose definition eludes me. I had thought myself rather clever until the obnoxious changeling Tak introduced me to the concept of ponies. Now it seemed a day could not pass where I did not hear something new. Annoying as I find it, it is also somewhat…exciting.

“Most notably they spoke of Princess Luna, the princess of the night. She and her sister Celestia ruled their land of Equestria with kind benevolence. One would see to their subjects needs in the day, the other in the night. The ponies of Colton were mainly comprised of ponies that made up Luna’s night court and their families. I do not know the particulars, but from what I understand something happened to Luna creating a creature they called Nightmare Moon. When Celestia banished her from Equestria, the ponies of the night court felt lost and betrayed. This was the final straw, and they departed for a new home.”

I grimace as my stomach suddenly decides to make its presence known. I have not eaten since early this morning. It must have been sometime since I left on my expedition. Mother just smiles and reaches behind herself. I hear her claws scrape the stone of the walls and she gently deposits some plump mushrooms before me. Gleefully I begin to eat.

“So they settled the valley once more. Now and again they would request aid in construction from us, in exchange they offered fine metal works, something to this day we lack the ability to craft ourselves. The ponies of Colton kept to their old ways and celebrations. While Equestria tried to forget about Luna and Nightmare Moon, they held their annual Winter’s Moon Festival giving thanks to their absent princess for the nights she provided. While Celestia had taken over her sister’s duties of raising the moon and sheparding stars, Colton’s populace still believed Luna had a hand in it.”

More words. Moon, stars? The longer mother speaks the more I feel an odd…yearning. A want to see these things. I had never before considered going to the surface world and why would I? My home and family are here. But despite my best efforts I cannot fully quash these feelings stirring.

“Now I did not witness this myself but only heard second hand through one of Colton’s ponies. However twenty years ago it was said their efforts were finally rewarded. After centuries of silence…Princess Luna graced their festival. I do not know if it was Luna or the creature she had become…this…Nightmare Moon. I do not even know if it was true or merely drunken hallucination. What I DO know, is something happened in Colton that night. Even I could feel the power being wielded above from my web here.”

“It is said that their princess of the night did indeed grace their festival. She even left a gift to her subjects who remained loyal to her name for so very, very long. A child she promised would become her successor. The new princess of the night. I had never heard such frivolous celebration as on that evening. Their music and revelry carried all the way to our caverns.” She allows herself a wistful smile.

“However…I was not the only creature to feel the power unleashed that night. A terrible monster felt the great echoes from its faraway home…and came searching for its source.” Now mother sighs…a deep sadness in her eyes. “Had we known what was approaching our pony neighbors I would have offered shelter to as many as I could have.”

This surprised me more than anything she had said so far. We are a very tightly knit community. Not outright hostile to the idea of outsiders save the wretched changelings of course, but all had strict orders to firmly turn aside any non-family we encountered in our tunnels.

“A monstrous abomination found the valley above, and the nearly defenseless city of Colton waiting to be picked clean. A unicorn pony though he should have long ago passed into the realm of death. A creature alive but not alive…undead is the term used. I do not know his true name, but we call him the Lich.”

“The Lich swept upon Colton with an army of beasts straight from the gates of Tartarus. Colton’s destruction was absolute. The Lich’s hellhouds killed everything that dwelt within the small town. Only their mayor escaped, carrying the child Luna had supposedly left them. It would be her last act. One of our scout patrols was investigating the trouble near the surface and followed the sounds of a crying infant. There they found you Umbra.”

My eyes widen at this revelation. “…am I to believe I am the biological daughter of this…mythical moon princess?”

I see the relief in appreciation in mother’s eyes for my inclusion of ‘biological’ in reference to Luna. Her shoulders rise and fall in a shrug. “If the ponies are to be believed…yes.” She frowns now. “There is some physical evidence to back this claim. So far as I know there are only two alicorn’s in existence. Celestia and Luna. A defining characteristic of the breed is they possess both a unicorn’s horn and the wings of a pegasus.”

I take a deep breath to steady myself. While pegasus is another unknown word to me I believe I can infer its meaning. Unbidden my gaze shifts to my sides…and the imperceptible seam of black against black tucked in tightly to my sides. How I have always loathed those appendages. Bad enough I look more akin to the changelings than my own kin…but to possess…THOSE as well. I am freakish enough without wings. I do not even recall the last time I thought of the things let alone looked at them. And I certainly have not thought of flexing the muscles that control them. For all I know they are withered and useless by now.

Mother of course does not miss my shift in attention at all. Gingerly resting the tip of a claw against my side she tickles at me. I scowl trying to ignore the twitching sensations rolling through my shoulders and the things attached to them…but I cannot hold my composure for long. With a gasp I feel muscles weakened from years of disuse flex…and the hated wings unfurl from my sides twitching feebly. I do not attempt to hide my disgust…or my outrage.

Mother naturally smiles down at me. Slowly my anger fades. I know it is silly to feel as I do…mother loves me unconditionally. I have always known this no matter how many deformities I possessed. Still when she relents I snap the wings back into my sides tightly. Only she and Prince Spinner are aware of them and I intend to keep it that way.

“The scouts brought you to me, unsure of what to do.” She chuckles…I so dearly love mothers laugh and so rarely hear it. I only wish I Was not in so foul a mood that I could enjoy it. “I was unsure of what to do. I cannot count the years I have lived, ruling our family Umbra. But that squalling pony hatchling had me utterly stupefied. When confirmation of Colton’s destruction reached me I had at first thought to send you to Equestria. Though I dismissed that. I knew its name and nothing else. Not even which direction it lay in. And so…I swore those scouts to secrecy. My own royal eggs were close to hatching and I passed you off as an…aberration to the common members of the family.”

Slowly she lowers me back to the cavern floor, and I rest on my hooves once again. “So yes Umbra, you are not my daughter by birth. You ARE a pony. That said…I could not be more proud of you or what you have accomplished. All the handicaps you have overcome to not only survive, but thrive within our family. It pains me more than I hope you ever know to not be able to fully entrust the family to your ruler ship. Though I hope you understand why?”

My head is whirling with innumerable thoughts. I feel weak and dizzy. And suddenly oh so tired. But I manage to nod slowly. I DO understand.

She relaxes visibly. “I love you dearly Umbra. And as far as I and any are concerned…you ARE my daughter. And while I cannot name you my proper successor, I CAN entrust you with the same responsibilities as your brother. I will speak with him at length soon about you relieving him of his duty overseeing the scouts. He has enough with commanding the warriors I think. I believe naming you Commander of every scout in the family is fair yes?”

Now I look up, eyes wide. My brother is second only to the queen in terms of authority and leadership. If he so chose he could even command my sister’s in times of emergency. To be given the same amount of responsibility. My eyes burn and I swallow to push the tears back.

“More than fair mother.” I bow my head.

She nods and her mask slips back into place. “It has been a long day Commander Umbra; I suggest you return to your chambers and rest. Your new duties begin tomorrow.”

With another bow I slip away. I manage to hold my stony countenance for some ways. Almost making it from the family tunnels fully before the wide smile finds my face and I break into a full run. I do not even bother trying to remain quiet as I follow the usual turns to my friends cavern. News such as this must be shared.

I round the corner to her chamber and am surprised to hear laughter. Then I recall Tak, who I told could share this space. With a frown I realize that while he may be benign, Tak IS a changeling and somehow he infiltrated tunnels controlled by my family. Perhaps I should find out how.

I approach and find the changeling engaged in a one-sided conversation with my friend who seems to be enjoying herself. I relax and casually cross the span to the pair, letting my dark sight fade as the silvery illumination from my friends form stings at my eyes.

She sees me first and lifts a leg in greeting…waving a hoof. Tak takes notice and does likewise. “Hey kid, y’look like yer in a good mood.”

I nod. “I AM in a good mood. Mother confessed the truth that I am indeed a pony.” At this Tak and my friend look to one another. I find myself doubly annoyed as they roll their eyes at the same time though I push it aside quickly enough. “I was given command of a scouting party this morning.”

My friend now looks excited. She knows how long I have wished for such responsibility. Tak shrugs. “Congratulations?”
I beam at them both. My friends. And nod. “Thank you! It was exciting. I discovered some resources and slew a Grabber.”
Tak gives a low whistle while my friend looks at me in astonishment. “Jeez kid not bad. Them things don’t go down easy. How’d ya do it?”

I grin again and crouch low. “My troops and I entered its cavern and it immediately seized several of the warriors! I rushed up the wall to the base of the monster and…” I rear back delivering a kick to the stone behind me, leaving very sizeable indents.

Tak and the specter look to one another in confusion, then back to me. “Ya kicked it?”

I nod. “Well I kicked it three times, but yes.”

They share another look. “Ya kicked a GRABBER…three times. An’ it died?”

I wrinkle my nose confused, a gesture my friend makes that I typically don’t realize I make as well. “Well yes.”
Now Tak crosses his arms over his barrel and plops down. “Bull.”

I blink. “Bull?”

He nods. “Yeah bull. Them things’ shell is stronger’n steel kid. No way some skinny unicorn filly kicks one t’death.” I snort as my other friend nods.

I look to the things tucked against my sides for the second time today. Twice more than I’ve thought of them in several years really. “Well…I am told I am not a unicorn.”

I bristle as they share a laughing look. “No? Maybe yer ma said yer an earth pony?”

Another snort as I flex my shoulders and spread the wings again. “An alicorn.”

Now I am not entirely sure of the reaction I wanted to elicit. Obviously some surprise from my first friend, Tak maybe less so. But the wide eyed horror on Tak’s face causes me to frown. My other friend immediately dropped to her front legs in a deep bow.

“Yer…yer a princess kid? What the hell’re you doin down here?!” He practically screams.

Immediately I snap my wings shut with a scowl. I had hoped to show them up…not terrify and cow them into submission. “I already told you I was a princess Tak…”

He shakes his head violently. “Crazy pony princess o’the spider folk is one thing! But yer an alicorn! ACTUAL Equestrian royalty!” The unicorn spirit eventually lifts her head, nodding with his assessment.

I settle down comfortably and begin to relay the tale as mother told it to me. Omitting nothing from the supposed visit from Luna, (which causes the spirit to gape so much I fear her mouth will detach and hit the floor), to the assault of the Lich and my delivery to the spiderkin. By the end she is nodding and he still just looks befuddled.

“Jeez kid…Luna’s filly huh? That’s a big deal! Wonder if that’s why she’s always lookin like she’s gotta stick up her…” The ghost gives him a look. “…rear end. Cause she thinks yer dead!”

I shrug as if this news means nothing. Though I am surprised to hear this Princess Luna is still about. From mothers story it seemed she was to be imprisoned forever. “That is not even the most exciting news.”

Tak frowns while the spirit blinks. “Kid I dunno if I can take any more big news t’day. Y’just about popped my heart as it is.”
“Mother is appointing me scout commander. I will work alongside my brother coordinating all of the scouts of the family. It is a tremendous honor!” I fairly gush with excitement.

Another look passes between my companions. She looks pleased…though pensive. Tak is of course the vocal. “But whatta bout yer ma?”

I furrow my brow. “I told you, she appointed me scout commander.”

He shakes his head. “No kid yer OTHER one, Luna. Don’tcha…I dunno, wanna meet her?”

I shrug with a little huff. “Not particularly. There is no guarantee this Luna is in fact my birth mother. I find the whole story a bit ridiculous. As far as I am concerned I have one mother, Queen Spinnerette. She is the only mother I have ever had, and ever needed. Or WILL ever need.”

The finality in my tone seems to reach them as with a hint of sadness she nods and he shrugs. “Well its yer business I s’pose kid. Congrats then. Sorry I didn’t say it before…y’were tossin out curve balls left an right.”

I smile. Though I do not recall throwing any balls of any sort his thanks warms me. Even the spirit is nodding with a small though still sad smile. “Thank you. I cannot stay for a long visit today, it has been very busy and I am quite weary. If you hunger Tak you may…dine.”

I see the relief in his eyes at my invitation. He wastes no time in approaching and gently resting his horn against my cheek, the same as before. I clench my eyes shut against the ensuing flash of light…and shake of the same lethargy as before. The invigorated changeling steps back apology in his eyes. “Thanks kid…yer a real life saver.”

I wave off his gratitude and frown a touch. “I will be sending several scouts and likely a warrior or two to secure these tunnels. Your presence here tells me that this is a blind spot in our security. I will give instructions to leave this particular
chamber alone…though I recommend you do not venture far from it in the future.”

He looks a little worried at the new, but gives me a nod. “Well thanks fer th’heads up kid. I know how t’keep my head down.”

Bidding both farewell I return home head held high. Unceremoniously I collapse into my bedding and let sleep claim me.
Despite the bit of troubling news from mother…this has been another excellent day.

Author's Note:

Kinda a big talky chapter but there'll be more action in the next one! :o