• Published 12th Feb 2013
  • 3,223 Views, 72 Comments

Revelations of the Past - Mr101



[Prequel to Lost.] Two years after the events of ‘Lost’ Twilight discovers a tome detailing a different account on how King Sombra was defeated.

  • ...
3
 72
 3,223

Chapter XIV: Shadows on the Horizon (Epilogue)

Revelations of the past

Chapter XIV: Shadows on the Horizon (Epilogue)

I had never seen the Princesses that upset before in my entire life, especially Princess Luna. She had spent a large amount of time alone silently grieving over Turil, out of the three of us she was the one who took his departure the hardest. When she and Turil had been around one another everypony could see how happy they were and how much fun they had together as friends, it warmed everyponies hearts and it crushed Princess Celestia and myself to see her in so much pain.

The day after Turil returned to Cyrium, the Princesses honoured his request and in secret cast a large scale illusion spell using the elements of harmony that subtly filled the minds of everypony that was involved with the war itself, from civilians to soldiers, with the illusion the King Sombra and his forces had been defeated by the Royal Equestrian army, the Crystal forces and the Princesses with the elements before letting the illusion spread over the land.

There were some aspects that they kept to the original story; everypony still knew that Emperor Krustallos was slain in battle with King Sombra. They removed all traces as best they could of the involvement of Turil and Malaskaar with their Gods of Magic, leaving behind only us three with the memories of them.

That is why I wrote this tome, I had been writing it from the very beginning of my journey to the Crystal Empire from the day the Princesses received that letter from the Emperor about his suspicions of King Sombra. It didn’t take Princess Celestia and Luna long to find out about my tome, but I explained that I wanted to have something written down that preserved the memory of Turil and all he did for Equestria, the Empire and for the world. The Princesses agreed to the idea and it was decreed that the tome remain in a secret room within the Royal Canterlot Archives, with my family guarding it as the head scribes from my death till the end of our days.

As I finish writing this, I can’t help but think on what Turil said to us, about the inevitable return of Malaskaar and King Sombra. Will I be alive still when it happened? Or will my descendants have to bear witness to it? All I know is, we will be ready.



Written in the memory of Turil Tailclaw.

Champion of Equestria and Hero of the Crystal War.

We will never truly be able to repay him for what he did.

----------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

Twilight stared at the last page; the corners of her eyes were slightly wet from a small collection of tears that had formed whilst reading the last few pages of the tome. She gently closed the tome and used her left hoof to wipe her eyes, using her magic she levitated the tome from the table and back into its original resting place.

“So it is true…everything Fluttershy told me about Grendel Emeric…and of his world is true.” She whispered.

“Yes it is my faithful student.”

Twilight turned round to see Princess Celestia standing in the doorway that led into the room and smiling softly at her, Twilight trotted up to her and gave her a warm hug to which Celestia returned.

“Do you understand why I never told you Twilight?” Celestia asked.

Twilight looked at her confused and stuttered slightly which made Celestia giggle softly.

“Quill Pen told me you felt somewhat betrayed.”

“I did Princess…but I understand why though…it is really true? That Sombra and Malaskaar will return?” She asked Celestia looking up at her.

Celestia frowned and looked over to the tome, seemingly studying it before returning her gaze back to Twilight.

“If you had asked me that five hundred years ago I would of said yes, if you had asked me that a hundred years ago I would have been somewhat doubtful…but when Grendel arrived in Equestria and saved Fluttershy’s life, I got a glimpse of his and Turil’s world when I was searching for his energy…and now I know for certain that Sombra and Malaskaar will return…and soon.”

“What do you mean soon? How soon is soon?” Twilight asked with concern.

“It’s too early to say I’m afraid Twilight…but I can sense a disturbance in the energy that surrounds the whole of our world.”

Celestia began to walk out of the library followed by Twilight, they walked past the rows upon rows of books passing by several ponies who had come down to the Archives to read and were shocked to see the Princess, not sure on how they didn’t notice her enter earlier and bowed in respect. They passed the desk were Quill Pen was sitting, stamping away at several books when he looked up to see them and smiled, giving them a nod.

“Princess…wait a second.” Twilight said.

Celestia turned round to watch as Twilight walked up to Quill Pen and wrapped her front legs around his neck, giving him a gentle hug.

“Thank you for showing me that tome Quill Pen…” she whispered.

Quill Pen chuckled as he returned the hug, smiling softly to himself.

“Not at all Miss Sparkle…I’m glad you finally have your answer.” He looked up to Celestia and grinned. “She’s a great student Celestia; don’t you be losing her now you hear?”

“I promise I won’t Quill Pen.” Celestia chuckled.

Twilight said good bye to Quill Pen as she and Celestia left the Archives and ascended the stairway up to the palace, as they came to the top and began to walk down the hallways together alone, Twilight looked up at Celestia.

“Princess…what do I do now? I mean, I was the only one Fluttershy told the whole truth to so that makes me and her the only ponies beside you, Princess Luna and Quill Pen who know of the existence of Cyrium.” She asked.

“Twilight, I must ask you one thing first. Please promise me you will not talk to anypony about what you have found out, you may speak with Fluttershy about it as she already knows a bit about Turil and Grendel’s world, but no pony else.” Celestia asked her.

“I promise Princess.” Twilight promised.

“I know you won’t let me down.” Celestia smiled at her. “As for what to do…I’m afraid there isn’t much we can do but wait, I’ve already begun to prepare the soldiers for the inevitable march to the north. Your brother and the other soldiers are unaware of what I’m preparing them for; they simply think it’s just a routine drill.”

Twilight giggled along with Celestia, Shining wasn't always the brightest tool in the bunch with certain things.

“Princess…If I may make a suggestion.” Twilight started.

“What is that my student?” Celestia asked her.

“I think I should tell the others, since we wield the elements now I think they should be made aware of what I’ve learned. In case Sombra and Malaskaar do return during our lifetime.” Twilight said.

Celestia didn’t reply straight away, she stopped walking and looked out of the window in thought as she contemplated on what Twilight said to her. She didn’t really want more ponies then necessary to know of the existence of Cyrium, but she had to agree that Twilight’s idea was a good one.

The bearers of the elements should be made aware of the existence of a possible threat and besides one of the bearers already knows of Cyrium’s existence.

“I have to agree with you on that Twilight; it would indeed make more sense for the other bearers to know of the existence of Cyrium as well as the potential threat of the return of Sombra and Malaskaar. But I’m trusting you to only tell them Twilight, no pony else.” She replied.

“I won’t Princess, you can count on me.” Twilight replied with a determined smile.

Celestia smiled at Twilight and gave her an affectionate nuzzle to her cheek, as they continued to walk down the hallway they came across Shining Armour and Princess Cadence.

“Hey Twily!” Shining grinned. “I see Princess Celestia had to drag you away from the Archives again.”

Twilight giggled as she and her brother shared an affectionate hug before giving Cadence once.

“Did you learn anything new?” Cadence asked her.

Twilight looked to Celestia and giggled, Celestia herself giggling as Shining and Cadence looked at the pair in confusion.

“You could say that.” Twilight replied.

----------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

Far to the north of Equestria, past the border with the old Empire something was stirring. A black shadow crept through the long abandoned hallways of the old palace of the Mountain Kingdom, the soft sound of hooves being made on the stone floor that echoed all around the hallways. The shadow pushed open an ancient door that groaned as it was pushed open; it walked past the dusty skeletons of ponies long since passed, some wearing the old armour of the King of the Mountains.

The shadow seemed to stare at some of the skeletons for a while before it looked towards the ruins of an old throne, covered in layers of thick dust and cobwebs. The shadow turned around and walked back down the hallways, once more filling the once silent hallways with the soft sound of hooves on stone floor.

It came out of the ruined palace to a balcony it once stood upon a thousand years ago, to green and red eyes appeared on the shadow along with two thing glowing purple wisps. As the shadow began to fully form into a solid form, it let out a low chuckle before looking towards where the capital of the Crystal Empire once stood.

----------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

Here is the sequel to Revelations of the Past.

'The Return of the Empire.'

Author's Note:

[Edited version to come.] Any errors feel free to let me know!

Comments ( 10 )

Well here it is, the final chapter of the story. I hope you've enjoyed reading it as I have enjoyed writing it, it was good to be able to write a story that required a fair amount of serious detail and description in it. I hope you will all stay with me for the upcoming sequel of the story.:twilightsmile:

I'd like to give a shout out to the following three people for being my pre-readers, as well as giving me feedback on different sections of the story as it progressed.:pinkiehappy:

Berry Punch

Bocaj518

RainbowBob

Thank you guys. :twilightsmile:

and once again thank you to all of the people who have been reading this since I first published it, and were patient as I temporarily stopped in order to work on another story. You guys are all awesome. :rainbowkiss:

I like the fact it is a nice lengthy (but not overly so) epilogue; because I don't like really short, couple hundred word ones.
I love all of the stories you have written in the Cyriverse and I am most definitely looking forward to future chapters.

Keep up the great work my friend :raritywink:

2751022
Epic ending boss. All of my love! :pinkiehappy:

2751022 Well Mr 101 all i got to say is you thank you for writing and sharing this story. Loved it:pinkiehappy: I can see myself reading it again in a month or 2.

Can't wait for the next story in this series to get started. I'm assuming their will be more.

2752839
Hehe, you shall soo see as you keep reading. :twilightsmile:

2751448>>2751729
Thank you both. :twilightsmile:
2752989
There shall be a sequel to this and 'Lost' which I'm going to be working on next week, after that I may or may not be planning another trilogy that may or may not have a mane 6 character arriving in Cyrium....:trollestia:

Anyway thanks for all your support! :twilightsmile:

Left me in awe with this story my friend, and what a cliffhanger at the end. Now, let us just hope that the Elements of Harmony will be strong enough to fight against the return of Sombra and Malaskaar.:twilightoops::rainbowdetermined2:

2758586
Thank you.:twilightsmile: I'll hopefully be starting work on it this evening and have it ready the following Saturday.

Okay let me get this straight. So I read this one first right lol i'm a little slow :derpyderp1:

cool story. will start on the sequel.

Login or register to comment