• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 11,666 Views, 62 Comments

Raising Raindrops - Skyekun



Everypony in town knows -of- Derpy, but how many really know her? A story examining the heart and soul of the mother mailmare as a strange revelation forces her to redefine her understanding of friends, family, and what qualifies as normal.

  • ...
6
 62
 11,666

Chapter 1

VERY IMPORTANT - PLEASE read the author's notes at the bottom before reading this story, or you might be upset you didn't! Thanks!


-------

All good stories with happy endings start with ‘Once Upon a Time.’ This is a fact as old as stories with happy endings themselves. And as one would hope this is a good story, however strange, with a happy ending, there’s no better way to start it.

So, Once Upon a Time, in the magical land of Equestria…

A shrieking, buzzing alarm went off and was promptly swept into the wall with a clang.

“I’m up! I’m up!” A gray body rolled out of bed, and having been caught up in the covers it ended up in an unceremonious heap on the floor. A blond-maned head poked out, her golden eyes swirling in different directions as she groaned weakly. “Mornings are just awful before muffins...”

The pony in question was Derpy Hooves, resident mailmare of Ponyville and odd job specialist. Well, she specialized in getting odd jobs, not necessarily in keeping them. Something always seemed to happen in the worst possible way, at the worst possible moment. It wasn’t her fault though, honest! At least that’s what she’d tell you. The moving business failed because she was just no good with lifting heavy objects. I mean honestly, who expects a pony to haul a piano, even with help? And that... experience with town hall... Well, would you believe poison joke? Most ponies didn’t, but most ponies also loved their mailmare. Derpy was well spoken if a little odd, and the most capable delivery pony even if her vision was a little skewed sometimes. She never lost a letter, ever. Lots of ponies would ask why she went to so much work and why she was always trying for second (and sometimes third) jobs like she did. The answer lay down the hall, Derpy’s destination as she managed to disentangle herself and shuffle off.

“Muffin, it’s time to get up, school starts soon,” she intoned softly, knocking a hoof against the next door down and poking her head in quietly. The room was a pale pink with lots of princess-y things, most of which were bought secondhoof. It might have been the tiniest bit threadbare, but on the whole it was the perfect room for a little filly. She heard a quiet squeak, followed by the soft groan of a small pony stirring. A blond mane and light purple head slowly, sleepily poked its way out from under the covers.

“Mmmnh, ‘kay Mommy...” Derpy smiled softly, knowing Dinky always got up once she woke her. Dinky Hooves, her little muffin, was the light of her life and every day was both a struggle and a joy to make sure she was happy, healthy, safe, and cared for. Ponies never asked who the little unicorn’s dad was, there were some things you just didn’t do for the sake of politeness in Ponyville. Derpy was such a sweet, if a little strange, mare that most ponies had their assumptions. None of them cast a negative light on the mother, but confirming the theories would have been invasive, so they never pried. What they did pry into, however, was the occupant of the next door down, Derpy’s next destination. A slightly louder knock was needed here.

“Sparkler, it’s morning, time to get up!” She stuck her head in, ready to go over and begin shaking or tickling here. Amethyst Star, or Sparkler as she’d been nicknamed, was a bit old to be Derpy’s biological daughter. That didn’t stop Derpy from adopting her though. The pony was stretched out on her back, her dark sheets a tangled mess around her purple body. Her mane was an equal catastrophe, the bicolor purple locks all mixed up every which way. The only standouts in the dimly illuminated room were the three bright diamonds that comprised her cutie mark. Sparkler was clearly a heavy sleeper and hated mornings more than her adopted mom.

“Sparkler, I’ll go get a cup of water if you don’t move in five seconds,” Derpy teased with a little grin, beginning to not-so-sneakily advance. “Four... Three... Two...”

A loud groan.

“Much better.” She giggled softly, close enough now to stroke her daughter’s mane once before turning to go. “Muffins are going in the oven, hurry hurry now silly.”

Ponies did indeed wonder why a single mother with a somewhat tight budget would adopt, especially taking in a pony who would have been out of the foster system in only a hoof full of years. She never had a satisfying answer for them except that “It was the right thing to do.” Derpy’s mind wandered to this very topic as she carefully lined up the muffin tray with one eye, sliding them into the oven to heat up. She only had time to bake fresh on the weekends, these were from Sugarcube Corner. But! The topic at hoof. It was so hard to pin down sometimes, to put it into words why she would take on so much responsibility and challenge like she did. She headed for the fridge to get some glasses and juice, humming as she set the table.

In the end, she never had an answer to give except one. She was a mother. There was no doubt in her mind that it was her purpose, more set and certain than if her cutie mark depicted it. Seeing her children growing up, taking care of them, doing whatever it took to make them happy, it was a great challenge but she lived for it. As the sisters shuffled into the room (well, one shuffling as the littlest bounced excitedly) her thoughts were just reaffirmed all the more. She opened her mouth to greet them as the oven dinged.

“Ohh, muffins are ready!”

“I’ll get it mom... Remember last time?” Sparkler mumbled as she used her magic to open the door and get the tray out. Derpy gave her a sad pouty look.

“That was the only time I ever burned my mouth, and it was because I was late to an interview!” She blinked once. “Job? Job! Must hurry, job!” She babbled a little, wolfing down two muffins before a normal pony could blink, chugging her own glass, and kissing both her daughters. “Be good! Be good! I love you! I love you! Sparkler, make sure your sister gets to school okay, have a great day and learn a lot too! See you both tonight!” And she was off like a shot for the door.

“Bye Mommy, I love you!” Dinky chimed happily, well used to her mother’s frantic morning pace. She was already tearing into a muffin with a happy smile, full of energy like all little fillies seemed to be at the earliest of hours.

“Bye mom, fly safe...” Sparkler managed a tired little wave, making a mental note to ask about a coffee machine again. Money was tight, but maybe they could swing one this time.

-------

“Work! Work! Gotta get to work! Gotta set my alarm earlier this time!” Derpy half galloped, half flew through town for the post office as she recited the same reminder she gave herself every morning. The same one she forgot every night, actually. As she once again berated her spotty memory the last corner before the home stretch came into view. She rounded the building and…

WHAM!

She and a pony both went down in a heap of legs and wings.

“Uhhhh... I just don’t know what went- Raindrops?” Derpy saw a good four copies of the pony in question lying on top of her. Her turquoise eyes looked, well, derped. If it weren’t for the matching mane color and her yellow coat they could have been twins. “Oh geez, I’m so sorry! I was late, I was hurrying, I was...”

“Derpy, calm down, it’s... Woah, everything’s tilted, hehe... It’s cool, honest. Gimme just a sec for the world to stop spinning and I’ll get off you...” The other pony staggered up, stumbling sideways a little before plopping back on her flank. “Breaktime..!” She giggled a little, giving her friend a silly grin. “You forgot again, didn’t you?”

“… I really tried this time,” Derpy all but whined at her friend as she got up, appearing no worse for the wear. Raindrops and Derpy had been friends for quite some time, a relationship borne out of convenience which quickly grew into what they hoped would be a lifetime friendship. Raindrops was perhaps the only pony in town that went through as many part time and temp jobs as Derpy did, so they ran into each other a lot. They also had to live through watching each other get fired. A lot. The piano incident came to mind quickly there.

“I should sneak by and scream in your window each morning!” She grinned again, wings fluttering a little. “What’s the pay?” They both shared a little laugh.

“I really gotta run Drops, I’m sorry... This weekend, normal time right? You’re gonna be able to make it this time?” Derpy asked with a little concern, her one eye roaming comically. Raindrops was far too used to such a quirk to laugh.

“Sure thing, I’ve been saving up the last two weeks, I can swing it,” she replied with a casual nod. “I’ve missed seeing you guys, it’ll be great to catch up. Have a good one okay?” Raindrops hopped back to her hooves, recovered enough from the crash to give her friend a quick hug, then scrambling off. “Got my own interview to get to!”

“Y-You do?! Why didn’t you... I... Good luck!” Derpy managed, shouting loud enough to turn a few nearby heads. She sighed a little, shaking her head. “That mare, I swear. Hey, I could start a song with that!” She grinned to herself, hurrying toward work with a spring in her step as she hummed a tune to her not-made-up-yet song.

As she did her mind wandered a little. Raindrops bounced from job to job as much as Derpy did (outside her post office position, of course) but it just seemed like it was for different reasons. Derpy... Well, if she was honest with herself her vision may have contributed a little to her problems. She tried her hardest, but just had accidents. Drops gave it her all, but in the end she always seemed to come up short. From what her friend had seen and heard, Raindrops would either end up distracted, forgetful, or just utterly flub up the job she was supposed to do. Derpy’s heart went out to her friend because she knew the same awful feelings of failure. But she also had a steady job too. Drops was struggling to make ends meet, she knew that much. What she didn’t know was how to help. Maybe that would be a good topic for the weekend though. Maybe. For now, she had her own job to do.

-------

The rest of the week passed as most weeks did. Dinky got an A on her spelling test, earning it a prominent place of display on the fridge. Sparkler’s secondary education was going well, though she was struggling a bit in finer precision magic. All the letters were delivered as always, and with the weekend here it was time for Girls’ Night Out. The weekly tradition had been going on for ages now, it was nothing over the top but it let Derpy and her closest friends catch up. She had her slightly aging gray jacket and her just-starting-to-fray purse slung around her neck, leaving her looking far more dressed up than usual but not quite in fashion either.

“Sparkler?” Derpy poked her head over the back of the couch, looking down at her eldest who was sprawled out and listening to her secondhoof (possibly thirdhoof) iPony. She popped an earbud out and tilted her head quizzically.

“Sup mom?” Derpy giggled.

“My big muffin’s so cool with her slang and her music.” Sparkler blushed a little and rolled her eyes. Not quite the rebellious teenager, but she was growing up all the same. Her mom was finding it hard to let go, what with adopting her late and all. “I’m heading out, I’ll be home in a few hours like always, kay? Keep an ear out for Dinky, I just tucked her in, and if anything goes wrong-”

“I can go next door and get help from the neighbors,” Sparkler finished for her, smiling a little. “I know mom. Love you, have fun alright?” The two shared a little nuzzle before Derpy hit the door. Literally, as it were.

“Eh heh, oops...” On try two she made it out into the crisp night air and was on the way. It was already a little bit late, and Derpy felt a small pang of guilt for indulging in even this bit of normal, healthy socializing. It was a mother’s job to be home with her little ones at this hour, wasn’t it? She frowned a little, looking up at the sky as she trotted along briskly. Her eyes tracked the heavens until she found her favorite patch of stars; if she used her ample imagination she could make out her cutie mark and Sparkler’s side by side. Just nearby was a little blank spot of sky, her little muffin. She always imagined that somewhere in the stars around it her youngest’s special talent would be reflected as well, there in the sky forever with her family. All she had to do was look.

“No, this is okay… They’ll be fine, they always are,” she reminded herself, drawing an odd look from a passing couple on a late night stroll as she talked to nopony. It was okay to worry about her family, and it was in her nature to do just that. But everypony was allowed time to relax and unwind, and it was hardly causing any harm so it had to be a good thing, right? Her soliloquy would have continued if her destination hadn’t popped up in the distance, making her smile just a little and pick her pace up. She would probably be the last one there tonight, but she was close to on time and the night was relatively young.

The Watering Hole was one of three late night establishments peppering Ponyville. It was a bit more upscale than The Salt Lick, which was pretty much a run down bar. It was also a bit less hip than Club T (or The Trough to those who didn’t know the cool slang), a full on nightclub with a house DJ and booming techno that stayed open till sunrise. It was just a nice, homey place with slightly dated music where the young adult crowd could go without having their eardrums blasted out of their heads. Derpy wandered in, searching the dance floor and tables for familiar sights and faces.

Being the weekend it was a fair bit crowded. In one corner it appeared Flitter and Cloudchaser were being chatted up by Thunderlane, unsuccessfully if the looks on their faces were any indication. Berry Punch was at the bar, unsurprisingly. She already looked a little worse for the wear, also unsurprisingly. Derpy recognized Rarity at a booth with Fluttershy against the far wall, the latter mare looking a fair bit nervous in spite of the rather relaxed atmosphere. A waving hoof pulled her attention though, and with a big wall eyed smile she darted through the tables and skirted the dance floor to where her friends were waiting. She may have bumped a table or three but nothing spilled, which was graceful by her standards.

“Derpy!”

“Heya Derps, took you long enough!”

“I did my best, sorry! Dinky was all excited and bouncy tonight, I had to chase her all around to-”

“Here, drink!”

“Drops, you know I don’t…”

“Drink drink drink!”

“Oh fine, just one though!”

“Don’t I get a hello?”

“Cheer, you’re so quiet!”

“I’m just teasing you hun, good to see you as always.”

“Rose, how’re your sisters?”

“Dramatic as ever, thanks for reminding me…”

Hugs and laughs and greetings were shared as Derpy joined Raindrops, Roseluck, and Cheerilee. She didn’t sit so much as collapse in the chair, giggling a little at the looks she got for it. It had been a long week! She just shrugged and sipped her cocktail, planning as always to go easy. Watching Berry Punch over at the bar hammering shots with the bartender was the best deterrent imaginable.

“Drops, it’s so good to have you back,” Derpy smiled brightly across the table. “Not that I didn’t enjoy spending time with you girls too! You’re special to me, all of you! Or is it each of you? Each or all, I like when you’re here too and it’s always fun and stuff. But, you know, still! It’s different.” She half trailed off, not sure quite how to voice it without sounding silly. That was normal though, and the others were used to it well enough. Derpy was Derpy, her heart was in the right place even when her tongue wasn’t.

“I don’t want to bring the mood down Raindrops, but is everything honestly okay?” Cheerilee cut in with a small worried look. “We all miss our weekly outing sometimes for schedule conflicts I know, but two weeks due to money issues doesn’t sound very good.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t make something up,” Roseluck added with a roll of her eyes. “Like a robopony invasion or a meteor hitting your house, wouldn’t be the first time…” Raindrops giggled, enough to almost snort her drink out through her nose. Fortunately she had it gripped in both hooves so none spilled either.

“Nah, but those are good ones!” She smiled brightly. “I’ll have to remember them!”

“You could come along and not drink,” Cheerilee tried again, “Or you know we could help cover, we’re friends after all.” Drops waved the suggestions off with a wing.

“First, I’m not gonna hang with my best friends and not join in the fun, that’s just silly. Second, I still owe you fifty bits Cheer, you really want me to be in debt to you more?” Cheerilee blushed a bit, blinking in surprise at how nonchalantly a personal matter like that was dropped in public.

“I… No, we just want to help is all,” she finally got out, emphasizing the one word that she hoped would draw a little support from the other girls. Drops didn’t really give them the chance.

“Girls, really! Stuff’ll work out, just give it the chance to! There’s no sense in getting all worked up or scared or thinking about it so much, right? Happily ever afters are real, I’ll get mine if I just hang in there.” She nodded seriously. “Now I wanna dance, come on!” She hopped up, all bright smiles and hopeful eyes. Derpy was quite hesitant and shook her head after a moment.

“I dunno Drops, last time I danced I ended up owing three ponies for dry cleaning on their nice clothes... And one for a new pair of glasses...” Her ears splayed and she looked away. After a few awkward seconds Roseluck sighed.

“Okay party animal, let’s go.” Raindrops bounced in place.

“Yay! Come on come on come on!” She scrambled off, her fondly exasperated friend following. The remaining two giggled a little, turning enough to watch while they enjoyed the music and their drinks. Small talk ensued for a time till the topic turned back to well-intentioned gossip.

“I don’t know what to do about her, Derpy,” Cheerilee began, sighing a little as she watched the dance floor. Raindrops was dancing rather terribly, but the big bright smile on her face told she was having the time of her life. “We’ve all watched the way she just... drifts. Job to job, burning each one out like she does. Her heart’s in the right place, and she’s just so full of life...” She shook her head. “It’s like she just doesn’t get how the world works though. I’m worried it’s going to catch up with her one day and she won’t know what to do.”

“That’s where we come in though, Cheer,” Derpy replied with a little smile. “We’re her friends, we’re here to make it better right? We help her pick up the pieces and move forward.”

“But what if she doesn’t know how to do those things?” Cheerilee countered with a worried look. “She has to learn sometime, we can’t be there forever.”

“Woah girl, whatcha mean?” Derpy shook her head, frowning a little. “Cause muffins... I as... I sure as muffins intend to be!” She took a slow, deep breath, trying to bring her frazzled mind back on track.

“No no, I don’t mean we’re going to leave her!” Cheer corrected quickly. “I mean... Oh, how to explain..!” She pondered for a second before trying again. “Think of one of my students. I love them, and I want them to succeed. I teach them, help them, and give them what they need to get there, but at some point I have to step back and let them discover the lesson for themselves. Raindrops is the same way. She’s my friend, but when it comes time for her proverbial test, we can’t take it for her.”

Derpy listened to all this quietly, introspectively. Her eyes were lined up a little more than normal even, downcast at the table though they were. She understood the whole analogy. She knew where Cheerilee was coming from. She even agreed with it to an extent. Just like with her children, there was a time to hold on and a time to let go, right? She turned to look out at her other two friends, but especially Raindrops. She was giggling and bouncing around to the music, not a care in the world. Like all the cares she should have were as far from her mind as possible. What would happen when they crashed back in? How bad would it get if they all crashed in at once? Something in the depths of Derpy’s heart rebelled against the idea of leaving her to learn. She just didn’t understand it though, or why she was feeling it. “I… M-Maybe, Cheer,” she finally said softly. “Maybe...”

-------

“Closing tiiiiiime..! Da da do duh dah duh dah, do do dah bleh blaaaaah blah blah BEER!” Raindrops sang with a big grin, bouncing along beside Derpy as the pair walked the moonlit streets. The night had worn on until it was time to go, and as usual the girls were together longest as their residences were in the same direction. Raindrops was far from drunk, she’d only had enough bits to pay for two drinks that night. It didn’t stop her from singing though.

“I know whooooooooooo IIIII waaaaanna take me home! I know! Who! I! Waaaaanna take me hooome!” Punching motions were included for reasons beyond even Derpy’s impressively eclectic trains of thought. “I know whooooo I-”

“Drops..?”

“- Waaaanna take me home!”

“Raindrops?”

“Take me hooooooooOOOOOOOme!”

“Raindrops!” Her friend stopped mid bounce, looking sideways. She was no Pinkie Pie though, and as such she toppled and flopped the landing.

“Oof..! Owwie..!” She whined a little, sitting up and rubbing her foreleg. “That’s gonna bruise... Yeah Derps? Was I singing too loud again?” She giggled a bit sheepishly, blushing and looking around. At least nopony had thrown a potted plant from an upstairs balcony this time. That had been rough.

“No, that’s not it...”

“Don’t like the song?”

“No, the song’s fine...”

“Then what’s eatin’ ya?” She tilted her head a little in concern, giving her full attention.

“It’s just…” Derpy struggled for a second before it all came rushing out at once. “I’m super worried cause you’ve been having a hard time paying the bills and I wanna help but I don’t know how and Cheer was talking about tests but I hate tests and they’re hard and I don’t want you to fail it Drops and I just wanna do something but I feel like I know what it is but my muffin brain won’t link up the feels and the thoughts so I dunno what I’m supposed to think or what I feel means and-”

“Derps, easy, easy!” Her friend cut in, waving her wings disarmingly. “Look, there’s nothing to worry about, honest! Thank you, really, thank you.” She smiled softly. “It means a lot that you care so much. But... It’s gonna work out Derps... It has to...” Her voice had trailed off a little by the end, leaving a statement of conviction sounding less reassuring and more like she was trying to convince herself. “Work’ll come through soon, you’ll see.” Derpy perked up.

“That’s right, your interview! I meant to ask, how’d it go?” She smiled brightly, but that smile froze and wilted as Raindrops looked away and down, her ears splaying.

“Can we... not talk about that, please?” She mumbled. An awkward few moments of silence passed before she spoke again. “Well, we’re almost at my place, and I should probably get some sleep. ‘Nother day ahead, you know?” She smiled big, but Derpy could tell it was a little forced. It was the same smile Sparkler gave her when her magic education hit a particularly nasty snag, or when she wandered a little too close to two ponies who had been looking her way and were laughing about something involving ‘eyes’.

“I... Understand,” she nodded in reply. “Lemme walk you to your door at least, it’s on the way.”

“No no, I got it,” Raindrops shook her head, before reaching out and catching Derpy in a big hug, knocking her onto her rear. “See you around, okay?” She turned and hurried off, just two more doors down and up the path to a small little thatched roof rental she called home.

“O... Kay. Bye...?” Derpy sat there, watching till she got there and the lights came on. Well, they didn’t come on, but Drops was going to bed. So she just waited. After a few minutes she stood again.

“Night Drops, sleep tight...” It was a long walk home and her own sleep was a bit troubled that night.

-------

The rest of the weekend passed without much fanfare, and the new week followed with the usual late alarm clock and morning rush to work. Dinky was excited about show and tell, even though she was bringing her favorite dolly for the fourth time. Derpy was saving where she could to get her daughter a nice new one and a playhouse for them come Hearthswarming, but that was a ways off still. Sparkler was set to try precision cutting her first real gemstone that week, no more practice on rocks. She was nervous, really nervous, but Derpy had seen to it that she received the last of the homemade muffins left over from the weekend for lunch. The smile on her eldest’s face had been subdued but genuine, and Derpy hoped the small gesture would be enough to help. Her thoughts always seemed to run to her family and friends while working, but they were snapped back as she passed through the main square of town and saw somepony familiar across the way.

“Hmmm?” She blinked, thinking. “Mint green, instrument cutie mark, why am I staring?” She asked herself out loud. It took her a moment before… “Oh! Of course, cause I have a letter to Lyra in my mouth!” She did indeed. She looked down cross-eyed at it and giggled. “Well, no time like now to deliver it!” She mumbled around the notice in her care, changing course to follow.

Lyra was one of the ‘cool’ ponies, at least in Derpy’s mental breakdown of the town. You had the Elements first, Twilight and her friends. The national heroes, ponies on a first-name basis with the Princesses, paragons of ponykind, names her foals’ foals would be learning in school, etc. etc. Derpy could ramble up titles for an hour if she wanted. They were the top tier of Ponyville, naturally. Then you had the cool crowd, ponies like Lyra and Vinyl Scratch and Cloud Chaser and Flitter. Ponies that to Derpy just kind of had a style of their own, they made a statement in how they lived and acted that just screamed ‘cool.’ Of course this might have been because Derpy had always been in the, well, whatever-came-after-cool group. They were all adults though, right? Not like she was going to get a swirly in the bathroom between classes or something. At least not anymore. Her mind was wandering.

“My mind’s wandering.” She uttered out loud around the envelope, drawing a strange look from a passerby. Back on the topic of Lyra, while she was cool she was also super nice and open with everypony, Derpy included. They didn’t talk often, but it was always a bright and fun conversation when they did. Lyra was one of the most fun ponies Derpy was casual acquaintances with!

Which was why she found it a little odd the way Lyra was… sneaking about? At least that’s how it seemed. Shy kept looking around as she trotted right at the edge of the square, slipping around a corner and up a side street. Well, Derpy’s letter wasn’t going to deliver itself! She followed, of course. Around the corner all she saw was a mint green tail tip vanishing into what appeared to be an alley.

“What’s she up to...?” Derpy frowned a little and picked up her pace, forgetting her wings as she often seemed to when overly focused. She hurried to the alleyway and slowly peeked around the corner, ignoring the fact that anypony in the street watching her would be staring right at the world’s most obvious spy.

Lyra was standing in front of a heavy metal door at the back of a building. She bounced from hoof to hoof, appearing a little nervous as she waited. Finally the door cracked open, and a happy smile lit her face up as she conversed with the pony inside. After a moment the door opened more and she rushed on in, sealing shut again behind her. Derpy waited just a moment before creeping into the alley, a million thoughts rushing through her head. Was Lyra a salt lick bootlegger? A super secret spy pony working as a double agent for the griffins? Was she cursed and Derpy would forget this all happened in a few minutes? Her increasingly, ahem, plausible ideas ground to a halt as she got close enough to read the sign on the door.

“Emergency exit only, deliveries please use front door,” she mouthed slowly. “But... What’s Lyra doing going in through here?” Her suspicions only deepening, Derpy hurried out of the alleyway and around toward the front. “It has to be a pasta restaurant,” she mumbled to herself decisively. “That’s where gangster ponies hang out. Or the laundromat. Or Ponyville Pawn. Oh no oh no, what’s Lyra gotten herself into, she’s gonna get hurt, or what if she’s hurting other ponies?!” Derpy gasped. “No! Nonono, she’d never, she’s just the victim in all this, I’ll have to bust in commando style and get her out of the…” She rounded the building and looked up to see a sign with a bottle and safety pin on it.

“… Baby supply store?” She finished, utterly confused. Her brain needed a moment or three on this one. No good spy story ever involved gangsters or agents in a place like this! “But what could this mean..? Unless…” She frowned a little, thinking hard. Suddenly her eyes lit up and she gasped!!

“Lyra and Bonbon are adopting!!” She squealed, bouncing in place. “Oh this is so wonderful! It’s about time for those two! Oh, filly or colt? I have to find out! I have to get a gift! I have to..! Wait...” She stopped again, blinking. The store was closed. Nopony was in the front, at all.

“Why… Would she be secretly shopping for her new baby, using the back emergency door? And if she just went inside, where is she now?” Derpy asked herself slowly. This was a grand puzzle, one she was struggling grandly to puzzle out. Derpy was a simple pony though, and in the end she came up with a simple strategy. Why go through all this effort when she could just ask?

-------

Lyra slipped out the back door of the shop, still on cloud nine and with a big paper bag floating in front of her. A really big bag. Like, two weeks of supplies big. Her and Bon usually got stuff delivered to them, but thanks to a back order snag this was how it had to be done today. Not that she minded, she was on great terms with the shop owner and had made plenty trips to the secret back half of the store in the past. She blushed and giggled a little, Bon was gonna be so jealous that she’d gotten an extra-

“What’re you doing Lyra?”

“WOAH!”

Lyra jumped a good three hooves back, stumbling and falling right on her plot. The grip on her purchases weakened, the bag tilting and spilling out into the alley. The color drained from her face as the goods were revealed to the world, or more specifically to the other pony in the alley. She turned to look, incredulous.

“D-Derpy?! W-What’re you... How did you... Why were you following me?” She finally managed to demand. Derpy smiled a bit sheepishly, scooting out into full view from behind the nearest dumpster.

“Sorry Lyra, I didn’t mean to spook you so badly... Here, let me help.” She moved to get to the spilled bags, her initial reasons forgotten. Her ears were splayed and she really did feel bad for the scare, she wasn’t trying to make that happen... It was perhaps the genuine nature of the other pony that stayed Lyra’s voice for just a second too long.

“N-No wait, I can...!” Too late, Derpy had snagged the first item, a big plastic wrapped package of...

“Diapers? So you are adopting, I knew it! Filly or... or colt...?” Derpy trailed off as she got a good look at what she held in her hooves. They were diapers alright, she’d raised Dinky alone so it’s not like she didn’t know what they were or what they were for. Bright package, pretty designs on the tapes, but something was off. Two somethings really.

“These are... Really big... Adult pony sized. And they have your cutie mark on them...!” She looked up at Lyra, her eyes both focused right on the other pony and a look of genuine shock and confusion on her face. Lyra was pale at this point, gulping, and looking more than a little terrified.

“Derpy... Please, just... Can we talk somewhere else?” She finally managed. “Just lemme have those back, let’s talk at my place, please?” She looked over. Derpy’s confusion was for once not just because she was Derpy. Even she knew that she had every reason to be puzzled beyond rational belief right now. But the pleading, desperate look on Lyra’s face was enough to stay her questions. She nodded softly, eyes still wide.

“I... Have work... I can come by after...?” She tried, earning a quick nod in return. Lyra all but snatched the package back, jamming it into the bag along with everything else (the poor puzzled pegasus hadn’t even gotten the chance to see what else there was) and muttering a quick and nervous goodbye before she was off like a shot. If Derpy didn’t know better she’d think Lyra teleported. It was a good five minutes before she moved or spoke, sitting there alone in the alleyway.

“You forgot your letter...”

-------

It wasn’t very often that Derpy went somewhere right after work, so she had to go home first. Putting on as normal of a face as she could, she asked Sparkler to start on dinner and gave her daughters each a big kiss and hug before heading back out to “deliver a piece of almost-lost mail.” The girls didn’t question it, they knew how serious their mom was about never losing a letter and technically it was true. Still feeling a little guilty for the half deception, Derpy made it to Lyra’s house and knocked softly on the door, stepping back and fidgeting nervously. After an almost awkwardly long wait the door cracked and an amber eye peeked through the gap. The door opened achingly slow, revealing a nervous and blushing unicorn.

“Hey Derpy...”

“Hey Lyra... I, umm, brought you a letter...”

“Oh, thanks...! Glad you did...”

“So...”

“So...”

“Can I... Come in, I guess...?”

“Oh! Yeah, yeah sure...”

Lyra awkwardly stood aside and let Derpy in. The wall-eyed mare wasn’t sure what to expect, having never come in before. But the house was as normal as any, mostly clean, nothing out of the ordinary.

“You have a lovely home, Lyra...” Derpy knew the value of being polite.

“T-Thanks, we try. Bon’s out working still or she’d come say hey.” She replied, smiling nervously. The awkward silence continued for a little before Lyra finally sighed. “Look, Derpy... I just... Don’t really know what to say or how to say it... This is all hard to explain and kind of scary too...” The pegasus blinked once, trying to place herself in the other mare’s horseshoes like her momma taught her to do.

“Lyra, I know what I saw and... Well, I know that any explanation I get is probably gonna be a bit... different. But I promise you, this stays between us, okay? I know you wouldn’t be sneaking in a back door like that unless you wanted things to stay quiet. Or unless you really are a spy pony and if that was the case I’d be dead already.” She paused, then looked worriedly over at Lyra. “You’re not gonna kill me and send my body to a glue factory, right?” Dead silence reigned before Lyra exploded with laughter, all the tension bleeding out of the room as she fell on her rear and got it all out.

“O-Oh..! Oh wow! You thought that..? I-I was-! Oh Derpy, t-thank you! That... That helped so much, I needed that!” Derpy just blinked, puzzled.

“Ummm, I don’t know what I did but you’re welcome!” She chimed in with a little smile. After Lyra’s laughing fit ended she rose and hopped up on the couch, sitting in her trademark odd manner.

“We can talk this out, or I can just show you, which would make it easier?” She smiled a little, looking nervous still but a lot more at ease than before. Derpy’s eyes derped a little more than normal as she thought hard. What would be easiest on Lyra? She knew the whole situation was something the other pony probably never wanted to go through, but she did want to understand what was happening too... In her experience though, especially with her daughters, it was often a fair bit harder to talk about something difficult when there was an alternative way to explain without words.

“Maybe... You could just... Show me?” She half inquired, looking over quizzically as if asking Lyra if she picked the right response. Lyra for her part took a slow breath and closed her eyes, before sighing shakily and nodding.

“Alright, come on. Down the hall.” She hopped back down again and headed that way, Derpy following with a small amount of trepidation. This was the part where the pony who knew too much was thrown into a cage and fed to lions, and Batmare had to bust in and- Oh wait, Lyra already said that wasn’t the case. They stopped in front of a closed door. It wasn’t the master bedroom, Derpy could see that room at the end of the hall and the door was wide open. Lyra’s nerves seemed to be back full force as she reached for the handle. “Just please... Don’t freak out...” She whispered before turning it and pushing the door open wide.

Derpy for her part just stared. At first it was nothing out of the ordinary to her. A nursery, so what? If anything she was jealous, it was much nicer than what she’d been able to afford for Dinky years back. The walls were painted in soft pastels, and a border around the top depicted a meadow with smiling flowers and butterflies and other happy animals. A big play rug covered most of the soft carpeting, designed to look a bit like Canterlot from the looks of it and made to handle toy carriages and the like. A big dollhouse stood in one corner, much like the one she had been saving for for her own daughter. She saw a closet in the corner, sliding door cracked just enough to reveal a few outfits inside. Changing table, crib, rocking chair, it was all here.

That’s when a couple things clicked in her head though. For one, Lyra and Bonbon didn’t have a foal. They’d yet to adopt, and her theory on that had been shot down today. And for two, everything in here was oversized for a foal. The rocking chair could fit at least two adult ponies, as could the crib. The changing table was extra large and sturdy, as if designed to support a grown pony’s size and weight. If she looked closely she could see the diapers from earlier that day stacked in the cubbies and waiting, along with many others of different themes and varieties. The closet in the corner was holding clothes that seemed a little too long to fit a foal. Couple with what she saw in the alley and Derpy was forced to make one conclusion. She turned to Lyra slowly, eyes wide in wonderment.

“This is all... F-For you...?”

“A-And Bon, yeah,” Lyra admitted softly, looking down and away. A bright blush was on her face, but there was no hiding it anymore.

“But Lyra, why...? Is this... I mean... I don’t know what to say.” Derpy’s tone was inquiring, but it warmed Lyra’s heart just that little bit to hear no judgment there. Maybe she wasn’t so wrong in showing this off.

“It’s... Well, it’s hard to explain... Like...” She looked up at the ceiling and sighed, then tried to begin again. “It’s not like either of us had bad upbringings or anything. It’s not like we’re bugged out over not being able to have foals of our own. It’s just... Life’s so hard sometimes!” She finally blurted, looking a bit more comfortable after getting that out. “I mean, my job’s great but it’s so stressful! And bills, ugh, I HATE bills!” She laughed a little bit, standing and trotting in the room, pacing even. The words just started coming out.

“Even when I was little I hated responsibility, I just wanted to play and have fun and I kept being told I couldn’t, I shouldn’t, and it wasn’t fair! I’d look at ponies younger than me and get jealous, they got to play more, relax more, have fun more. I knew... Well, I knew I had to grow older, but I just didn’t want to grow up! I always snuck stuff when I could and tried to pretend I was little again, I just wanted to enjoy those happy times where I could play and have fun and be myself without getting looked at funny. I kept my blankie till my parents tried to get rid of it, then I snuck it back and hid it. When I got older I started trying to buy more foal things, and I ran into somepony else doing the same. Found out there’s a lot of ponies out there who wanna still be fillies or colts or foals.” She smiled a little bit. “I learned a lot more about it and found where I fit in with it all, and about the places you can go to buy stuff in our sizes... I guess that’s kind of that...”

Derpy had just stood there in the doorway, wide eyed as she took all this in. There were more ponies like this? Why? How? Why did nopony talk about it? So many questions!

“You... Wear all of it too...? Even the...?” She felt embarrassed just asking, but judging from Lyra’s blush answering was even tougher.

“Y-Yeah, all of it... It’s just... Well, part of what gets me into the mindset, you know...? Doesn’t hurt that they’re comfortable as all Tartarus and more than a little cute...” Funnily enough the admission of cuteness was what made the unicorn blush most. Even in the midst of all this Derpy almost wanted to giggle.

“And Bonbon...?”

“Huh? Oh, Bon just likes being cuddled.” Lyra’s expression flashed from goofy smile to loving recollection lightning fast. “She’s adorable, just loves to feel cute and loved and safe...” Derpy nodded slowly, processing this too.

“Sounds like there’s lots of reasons for this? And... You said there’s lots of ponies who do?” Lyra shrugged a little.

“Well, maybe not lots, but a fair amount. And there are lots of reasons. I mean, I miss being responsibility free and I just like playing and having fun. Bon likes it for the cuteness. Some ponies it makes them feel safe, being all swaddled and junk like that. Others out there are parents who live to take care of somepony, no matter how old they are. Some I just don’t think ever grew up to begin with.” Lyra laughed a little, shrugging again. “Maybe they don’t even know how.”

Others out there are parents who live to take care of somepony, no matter how old they are.

Those words replayed in Derpy’s head a few times as she stood there in the nursery. Something in her heart lurched a little, but everything she’d learned that evening had been a little too much to dwell on it right then.

“Lyra, I... I think I need to go,” she began. Upon seeing the worried look on the unicorn’s face she hastily backtracked. “No! I mean I need to get home to my kids. They’re going to worry, and it’s dinnertime.” Lyra relaxed a bit and nodded in understanding, and the two shared a short generic conversation on the way to the door, the mood much less awkward and tense now. Before departing, Derpy took a chance. Reaching out she gave Lyra the best mom hug she could. One of those warm, snuggly ones that little foals melted into and curled up from. To her credit Lyra’s shock lasted only a few moments before she had to strongly fight the urge to do just that.

“For what it’s worth Lyra, I think you would make an adorable foal,” Derpy said upon parting, giggling just a little and heading out. She didn’t quite catch the reply, but it sounded embarrassed. That was fine though. She had too much thinking to do now, way too much thinking. But more important than even that, she had her family to get home to.

-------

The next few days passed in a blur for Derpy. She felt like a veil had been pulled back and she’d been given a tiny glimpse into this brand new world, only to walk back out into her daily life again like nothing happened. She found herself contemplating a lot of things. For one, everypony she passed on the street she looked at twice now. She couldn’t stop asking herself where they fell into the spectrum of all this... adult foal stuff. Were they little baby foals? Toddler age? Caretakers? All? None? Would they scream and run at the mere idea, or be curious and ask questions? Would they denounce it as awful and creepy and wrong, be curiously ambivalent, or wager a shot at it themselves? She found herself trying to picture it all and guess who fit and who didn’t.

And along those same lines, Derpy couldn’t help but question where she fit into all of this herself. Even her daughters had noticed a difference as of late; their bedtime routines had became a touch more tender, the pegasus taking just a little extra time at night to tuck in Dinky, and she even offered the same for Sparkler. This had garnered an odd look and a polite decline, but the girls were wondering just what was up. Derpy refused to get into it, writing it off as “just wanting her little muffins to know how much she loves them,” and they seemed satisfied. Parental love was embarrassing sometimes but it was to be cherished all the same, after all. Still, she wondered just how long it would be until Dinky was ready for bed on her own.

“They grow up so fast,” she summed up to Cheerilee. It was recess time at school and Derpy’s route had taken her by the schoolhouse, and the two friends were talking over the fence and watching the colts and fillies play.

“That they do,” the teacher affirmed with a little smile. “You know it’s going to leave me feeling like such an old nag when the little ones I taught are bringing their foals in for the first time...” She laughed a little and shook her head. “What can you do, right?”

“Right...” Derpy parroted softly, thinking. Cheerilee was one of her best friends, and she really needed to talk about this… But how could she do it without specifics, and especially without betraying anypony’s trust? “Cheer... What if somepony didn’t want to grow up?” She winced. Not quite as subtle as she would have liked, but she had to press forward now. “You think we need to... well, make them? Or just let it happen on its own?”

“Derpy, is everything okay?” Cheerilee immediately went into concerned-friend-and-teacher mode. “Is something happening with Dinky or Amethyst that you need help with?”

“No no!” The pegasus waved her wings hurriedly. “Sparkler and Dinky are fine! I just meant... Well, in general...” She trailed off a bit lamely. Cheerilee frowned a little, hmming to herself and thinking.

“Well, I suppose that we all mature at our own pace, and as parents and teachers it’s our job to support our little ones and help them grow into who they’re meant to be in their own way and in their own time.” Derpy nodded a little bit.

“And say... If a pony never gets there, what then?” Cheerilee’s confused look prompted Derpy to continue.
“Say a pony’s just not ready, or doesn’t want to grow up. What then?” The teacher was silent for a while.

“I really don’t know, Derpy. That’s an interesting question, and I just don’t know. I think... I think we would just have to do what’s best for them, and help them until they can do the same for themselves.” She was silent for a few more moments, contemplating. Finally she giggled. “Not that I can ever see that happening. Growing up is just a part of life! Still, that was a very interesting question! My brain feels energized and ready for the afternoon, thank you! Speaking of which, recess is over. I’ve got to run, but I’ll see you this weekend right?” Derpy blinked once, then put up a quick smile and nodded.

“Of course Cheer, have a good one!” As the two parted company Derpy found herself a little more certain of her own place in things… And on top of it she knew her friend probably fell closer to the “scream and run” category than she herself did. While Cheerilee seemed the type to press a pony on toward self-actualization (don’t ask how Derpy knew that term), the pegasus found something in her heart disagreeing with that. Even if the intentions were good, she’d seen with her own eyes that it wasn’t the only viable way for a pony to live. Lyra and Bonbon seemed to be doing just fine after all. Granted, they lived perfectly normal adult lives too, but if somepony was there to look after them full time and if they wanted it… No, if they needed it… Would it be wrong for that somepony to take care of that big little one forever? Derpy continued her mail route, a bit lost in her thoughts again.

Today however seemed to be a day for bumping into friends. Heading back through the main square of town she couldn’t help but spy a familiar face across the way. Derpy smiled brightly and was about to call out to Raindrops when she noticed something a bit off… Her normally effervescent friend was close to trudging along. Her eyes downcast, ears splayed a bit, tail drooping… Something had to be wrong. Frowning, Derpy hurried over.

“Drops...!” The other pony’s head snapped up. Within moments she was smiling again, waving a wing excitedly, but Derpy was on guard now. She continued closer till she was right by her friend. “What happened, Drops? Something’s up and I know it, don’t hide it from me.” Raindrops blinked once, then giggled and shook her head.

“What’re you talking about silly? Everything’s great! I was just kinda lost in thought is all. How’s the ol’ work day going?” Derpy just shook her head. Maybe it was the last couple days’ worth of introspection showing, or maybe her mothering side was a little strong that day, or maybe she just knew her friend too good to fall for it, but she wasn’t even close to buying that or letting it slide today. Derpy frowned softly, drawing herself up just a little. It was the ‘I’m serious about this’ stance that parents took, the one that was meant to broker no arguing.

“Raindrops,” she began in a gentle but firm tone, “I’ve known you for a long enough time now to know when you’re telling me a lie. And I think you know better than that, don’t you?” She watched, never breaking eye contact (at least with one eye) until Raindrops sunk in place a little, looking down and away. Good. “I thought so. Now, I want you to be honest with me, do you understand? Tell me what happened, it’s okay.” She smiled just a little, not a ‘you’re off the hook’ smile but one that said ‘I’m here no matter what.’ The other pegasus hesitated, biting her bottom lip softly before muttering a reply.

“It’s... It’s f-fine,” she began, trying to lie again. Derpy’s frown came back, just a little deeper, as Raindrops continued. “Please Derps, don’t worry about it? I’ll be alright, today was just a bit of a bad-” A loud growl interrupted the excuse. Derpy’s initial reaction was to panic, because clearly a timberwolf had snuck into town and it was going to be the end of them all. She was about to announce this loudly and begin a traditional Ponyville panic when she saw the giant blush on Raindrops’ face. It didn’t take too long to put two and two together.

“Drops,” she said slowly, “When was the last time you’ve eaten...?”

“I’ve eaten today!” Her friend retorted hotly, a blush still on her face as she looked anywhere but Derpy’s eyes. The color drained a little from Derpy’s face.

“That’s not the question I asked…” Raindrops huffed, trying to push through her mistake.

“Look, I was just in a rush this morning and didn’t have time for breakfast, alright?”

“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!” Derpy was quite defensive of breakfast. “At least tell me you had a big dinner last night!”

Silence.

“Raindrops, I expect an answer,” Derpy started again. “I can wait all day if-”

“Grass, okay?!” Raindrops replied with a bit more emotion and volume than intended, making Derpy draw back just a little with wide eyes. She hung her head a little again, muttering softly. “There wasn’t anything in the pantry, alright? It’s free, it’s food, it’s fine...” Derpy felt her insides go cold as she looked at her friend, all the implications setting in. Eating grass was as close to a social taboo as it got for most ponies. True it was edible, but it wasn’t food in civilized society. Ponies had moved beyond that, the same way griffins didn’t go out into the middle of town and hunt squirrels. Resorting to it meant that Drops had no other options for food, meaning she had to have been flat broke or dangerously close to it by now. Ponies were ridiculed for less, and admitting it even to a friend had Raindrops looking to be on the verge of tears.

Derpy wasn’t quite sure where Raindrops fit in when it came to all the new things she’d learned that week. Even in the midst of this minor crisis it was hard to not wonder somewhere in the back of her head about it. There were a few things that crystallized clearly in that moment, though. For one, Derpy was a mother. She knew that already of course, but looking at Raindrops hurt, embarrassed, and alone in front of her, Derpy knew in her heart that no matter how big or old a pony was, if they were hurting then she would want to be there to take care of them the way a mother would. Drying tears, easing hurts, making pained feelings go away… Those were indeed part of who she was, she’d never been more certain.

For two, any doubts, qualms, queries, or questions she had over the adult foal issue were well and truly erased in that moment. Her heart was breaking for her friend, and she knew that there were ponies out in the world someplace just like Lyra and Bonbon who went through deep hurts like this every day. And ponies like that… Well, they had a certain way they wanted and needed to be comforted, and if it spared them from feeling like Raindrops did right now, she didn’t care what it took, she would want to do it.

Lastly, there were much more pressing issues than either of these to be seen to right then, and she was going to do her job.

“Raindrops, I need you to come with me right now, okay?” She started softly. Her friend looked up, eyes shimmering still as she shook her head and took a small step back. If anything her expression made it look like she expected to be sent to the nuthouse. Or the moon.

“No, it’s fine...!” She replied in a half whine bordering on a sob, looking about ready to make a scene. “Please Derps, j-just lemme go home, I can-”

“Shhhhh…” Derpy closed the distance between them, wrapping her neck over the other pony’s in a gentle hug. “It’s okay Drops, I promise… You haven’t done anything wrong, nothing at all,” she soothed softly, keeping her voice low and gentle. “There’s a couple things I want us to take care of together, that’s all.”

“L-Like what?” Raindrops asked shakily, unconsciously leaning into the attention as she worked to blink away her tears. Thanks to the simple accepting gesture her tense, flighty stance no longer had quite the desperate and fearful edge to it.

“First, we’re going to go by my work. I need to take the day off.” Derpy replied calmly. This simple statement had the opposite effect of calming, however. It was more akin to a bombshell on the level of Applejack bringing Rainbow Dash to the Apple Family Reunion as her date without any forewarning. Or Luna casually telling her sister “No thanks, I’d like to keep the moon up a little longer today. How’s forever sound?” Raindrops staggered back as if struck and fell right on her rear, eyes wide as dinner plates and jaw loose.

“D-Derpy..?! Y-You don’t..! E-Ever! Take a day off..!” Drops stuttered after a few moments. Derpy nodded calmly in reply.

“That’s right. Now come on, I need to find somepony to fill in for the afternoon route.” She turned and slowly started off toward the post office. After a few paces she turned and looked back, her expression clearly stating ‘Are you coming or do I need to come back there?’ Raindrops stood and followed, picking up her trot till she was alongside her friend. Any upset or embarrassment was gone in the face of the overriding shock.

“O-Okay... So what’re we doing then?” Derpy smiled softly.

“Oh, you’ll see.”

-------

“Derps, I don’t like this…”

“You need it Drops, it’s for the best and you know it.”

“I-I guess... But it’s so embarrassing!”

“Nopony knows but you and me, and I don’t plan to tell a soul.”

“Still… Kind of small don’t you think?”

“It’s all they had available right now, silly. We did arrive unexpectedly you know.”

“That’s true… But it’s still small!”

“You picked it out!” Derpy giggled, looking across the little corner booth at Raindrops, who was still sulking.

“Because I’ve never eaten here before and I always wanted to!” She replied with a little grumpy look and a heated blush, making Derpy giggle some more.

The pair had stopped off at the post office, where Derpy’s declaration had nearly put her boss in the hospital after he missed a stair and tumbled down half a flight. It had taken a good twenty minutes to get the office running again and find a replacement for her route on the shock factor alone; nopony knew what to do, it was like the sky had fallen around them. Derpy dealt with it all though, head held high and a gentle, firm smile as Raindrops watched with something akin to wonder. How such a silly, klutzy mare could step in and take complete control of the room had her in awe.

Afterwards Derpy had stated in no uncertain terms that Raindrops was to choose anywhere in town for them to eat a big lunch at, price and exclusivity meaning nothing, bar none. She had done a good job trying to get out of it, but Derpy had already heard it all from her daughters. She shot down every excuse until her friend had no choice but to capitulate, and after a short wait they were seated at a near-upscale pasta restaurant that ponies never got into without reservations come the weekend.

“Still, this booth..!” Raindrops grumbled, wriggling her flank and trying to get more comfortable. “I needed a shoehorn to get in..!” Derpy couldn’t pass on it, grinning and opening her mouth to-
“No fat jokes!” She shut it with a small snap. After a moment the two began giggling again.

“I wasn’t going to say that!” Derpy finally replied. “You just need something more comfy to sit on is all!” Huh, where had that come from, queen of all obvious statements?

“Like what?” Drops laughed back, arching a brow. A thought crossed Derpy’s brain and she acted on it before she had the chance to second guess herself.

“Maybe I should get you a booster seat instead,” she answered with a little smile, making sure to take any teasing or sarcasm out of her expression. Drops blinked once, then turned her nose up.

“If we had bread I would throw it at you.” Derpy smiled a little more. She was curious for a good number of reasons at how Raindrops would respond to a little mothering. Her first tiny test wasn’t a total failure – unresponsive to the comment, but immature. She pressed just a little.

“Now now silly, no throwing food in the nice restaurant! You’d be in soooo much trouble later!” Raindrops for her part lost the faux-snooty look and giggled.

“Fine, you win for now… At least until the waiter’s not looking.” Derpy smiled in reply, shaking her head a little. Foals. Wait, did she just think that? Her surprised expression went unnoticed as the waiter showed up, looking down his nose at both of them as he took their orders. Derpy ordered a large salad, trying not to wince at the price. Raindrops excitedly went for the spaghetti dinner, being sure to make faces at the waiter behind his back as he trotted off.

“Drops, be nice,” Derpy chided softly, earning a pout.

“But he was being mean! His nose was halfway to Cloudsdale!” Derpy did her best to not giggle like she normally would.

“And what do we do when a pony’s mean to us, hmmm?” Raindrops blinked, not having expected that response. After a moment her pout came back and just looked away, blushing the tiniest bit. Derpy couldn’t help but smile a little, it really was cute.

“Anyways… You really, really sure about this Derps?” Raindrops shifted the topic rather abruptly, looking over at her friend. Her look nearly broke Derpy’s heart again, seeing those normally happy eyes showing so much vulnerability mixed with hesitation. At the same time though, it was warring against something else. She wanted this meal, she really did. But she felt wrong for wanting it too. “I don’t need this… I can take care of it on my own, and this place costs a lot on top of it… Maybe we should just go.” She looked down, ears splayed, defeated. This would not do.

“Raindrops, look at me,” Derpy began softly. She waited patiently until her friend’s sad eyes came up enough to meet hers. A warm smile was waiting there for her, a small bit of comfort from across the table. “You do need this,” she continued, pressing on through the ashamed look that was beginning to form, “And that’s completely okay, do you hear me?” Raindrops didn’t answer directly, but her hesitant look was enough for Derpy to assume that she was at least listening and open to the topic at hoof.

“I know… I know that you want to be successful. We all want that in life, I think,” she began, her thoughts only half a step ahead of her mouth as she tried to put her feelings to words. “But Drops, being successful is about more than making bits, it’s about more than having a job. If that’s not who you are, then it’s not who you are and there’s nothing wrong with it, nothing at all!” She continued, her voice still quiet but more passionate. Raindrops for her part listened raptly, surprised at the conversation but listening all the same.

“When I look at myself in the mirror Drops, do you think I see a post office worker? No. I’ve never lost a letter, and I’ve never missed a day of work till today. Not even when I had that stomach flu and threw up in the flower beds outside the library, not even when Dinky was sick and I pushed her stroller with me all day. I have so much to be proud of with my job, but you know what I see when I look at myself?”

“W-What?” Raindrops couldn’t help but ask softly, eyes wide.

“I see a mom,” Derpy answered softly, smiling warmly back. “My little ones are my world, Drops, and I would do anything for them, give anything for them. My job? Who cares, I’d quit tomorrow if I had to choose between it and my little fillies. We’re more than what we do, Drops… When I look at you… I see a pony that’s… That’s just so fun and full of life!” She smiled a little again at her friend’s small blush. “Your smile lights up any room you go into, the way you never let things get you down is amazing, you’re the heart of our little group of friends. Your value’s in… Well, your innocence, I guess…” Derpy’s grand speech fizzled out a bit lamely as she realized how much she’d said. She settled back, looking down nervously. “I-I guess… I mean…”

“No, Derps… I think I get it,” Raindrops cut in quietly, looking back with a weak but grateful expression. “I really do. I just… It’s so hard sometimes, to keep smiling like that… When everything’s coming down around you…” She finished barely above a whisper, sniffling a little. After a quiet pause Derpy reached across the table, her hoof gently brushing her friend’s cheek.

“Then I’ll do what I have to so you can keep smiling like that, silly filly.” The pair’s eyes met for a long moment, Derpy’s look one of loving acceptance and Raindrops’ an expression of fearful hope. The food arriving broke the small reverie before more words could be said, however. A duet of small smiles was the only conversation for the next five minutes as they began to eat. It didn’t take too long before the mood began shifting though.

Raindrops was, in a word, a slob. Her bites, which had started off small and subdued thanks to her mood, slowly evolved as her hunger and temperament took back over. Before long she was happily slurping her spaghetti, sauce all over her muzzle, not a care in the world. Derpy watched this for a little bit without comment, but her soft smile refused to go away. Before long her friend caught on.

“What?”

“Hmmm?”

“You’re smiling.”

“I know.”

“What about?”

“Oh, nothing.”

“It’s something.”

“Says who?”

“Says me!”

“Hmmmmmmm…” Derpy took on a little thinking pose for a moment before shaking her head. “Nooooo, I don’t think it’s something,” she said in that tone which screamed ‘oh yeah, it’s something.’

“Tell me!” Raindrops demanded, her food and messy face forgotten as she looked imploringly across the table. Derpy giggled softly.

“I couldn’t..!”

“Yes you could!” The whiny pout in the yellow pony’s tone was so endearingly cute that Derpy just had to giggle again. “Now you’re laughing too! Teeeeell me!”

“Weeeeeeeell… What’s the magic word?” Raindrops blinked at that.

“Do I have to?” She grumped a bit, dignity long since forgotten by now. She wanted to know what had Derpy smiling like that!

“You sure do, silly. Good fillies use please and thank you.” Raindrops groaned a little, fighting a small blush as she looked down in frustration.

“Fiiiine, please tell me what’s so funny!” She huffed, earning one more giggle. Derpy was quiet for a moment before leaning forward and replying simply.

“You need a bib.”

All was silent for a good five seconds as Raindrops stared wide-eyed across the table at her friend, before her eyes slowly crossed as she tried to get a good look at her face to see for herself. Derpy exploded in a fit of giggles, earning a big scowl.

“Stop laughing!”

“But it’s so funny!”

“It is not!” Derpy’s giggles continued unabated, which caused Raindrops’ scowl to turn into a self conscious blush and pout. The gray pegasus realized she may have gone a little too far, offering a small warm smile as her laughing stopped.

“It’s okay, silly filly. Hold still, I’ll get it.” Hopping down, she grabbed a napkin and trotted around the tiny booth to see to Raindrops’ face, not even giving it a second thought. Watching her friend eat, pout, whine and blush was doing a fine job of bringing back memories of Dinky in her high chair learning to feed herself meals, so by this point it only seemed natural. Raindrops was having none of it however, and did not appear to be above making a big scene in the middle of the restaurant as she did everything she could to avoid the napkin.

“D-Derps, s-stop! I don’t need it, I’m fine!”

“You’re a mess, now hold still you silly thing!”

“I am not silly!” The struggle continued for a solid minute before Derpy sat back down, a satisfied look on her face to counter Raindrops’ sulking one.

“You are silly, but you’re a clean silly now,” Derpy giggled softly, her smile carrying no hint of teasing. “Can you eat the rest without making a mess?” Raindrops huffed, looking away… She then blinked a few times before blushing heavily.

“Umm, Derps? Maybe we should get the rest to go.”

“Hmm? Why?” Derpy replied cluelessly, looking around herself.

The whole restaurant was watching them by now.

“Oh.” Yes, to go would be nice, she decided.

-------

“I can’t believe you did that back there,” Raindrops groused as the two wandered down the street with their to-go bags. The waiter had seemed quite happy to be rid of them early. Derpy just smiled back, trying not to blush at the memory of it herself. She had to be the grownup here after all.

“I wasn’t about to let you leave there a mess, Drops. You needed it,” she answered simply.

“I did not!”

“Raindrops, no pouting now.” Said pony just pouted more, making Derpy sigh good naturedly and lean over to give her a nuzzle. Raindrops unconsciously swerved so her route kept her just a little closer to the other pegasus, but her pout refused to go away. “There’s nothing wrong with being a messy eater, Drops,” Derpy tried again.

“You’re not,” she replied, a bit foalish even for her. Derpy just smiled in reply.

“And everypony is different, you shouldn’t be ashamed about it. Besides, if I’m here to help then what does it matter?” Raindrops frowned a little bit, close enough for the pair to nearly be brushing wings.

“But… You’re not supposed to,” she finally said, looking over with a sad, confused look. Derpy offered a comforting smile and a simple answer back.

“Says who?” Raindrops blinked, looking even more puzzled at the turn of the discussion.
“Drops, ponies say a lot of things, and if you give them the chance they’ll tell you how to live your life and what you should and shouldn’t do until you just lose yourself in it all! They mean well, but they’re not you. You should just be yourself, and your friends will love you for it. I thought lunch was a lot of fun today, just like I think our Girl’s Night Outs are amazing even when you’re being all silly and singing the whole way home. No… Especially because of that,” she reaffirmed with a nod and smile, “because it’s what makes you you, and we all love you for that. Be yourself, and we’ll always be here to support you.” Everything was quiet for a few paces before Raindrops turned and glomped her friend tightly, sniffling a little bit.

“Thank you Derpy... I really needed to hear that...” The gray pegasus blinked once in surprise before smiling and hugging back warmly.

“Of course, Drops. Now, we’re almost back to your house. Would you like to take my salad in too? I have the rest of the day off, we could spend it together if you wanted.” Raindrops finally let go, smiling a watery smile but shaking her head a little.

“No, I want to but I just… I can’t right now, Derps. Kind of tired, I was thinking about taking a little nap and then following up on a job lead. Thank you for lunch though. For everything. It means so much to me.” Derpy smiled a bit and nodded.

“I understand, and you don’t need to thank me silly filly. It’s what I do, at least when it’s you involved.” She giggled softly at her friend’s little huff and eye roll. “I’ll see you this weekend again, right?”

“You got it, no way I’m missing out this time!” The two shared one last warm smile before parting ways, leaving Derpy quite looking forward to the weekend.

-------

But the weekend never came.

Well, that was a little overly dramatic. It did come, but there was no Raindrops to be found at Girls Night Out. Roseluck and Cheerilee were just as clueless, each having seen Raindrops over the last day or two and each receiving confirmation that they’d all get together that night. Derpy was having none of it. Assuming Drops was skipping out again due to money, she got up and marched right out of The Watering Hole.

“Derpy, not you too!”

“Are you okay, dear?” Roseluck and Cheerilee had followed her to the door. Derpy stopped and turned back, a reassuring smile on her face.

“I’m just going to go and get our wayward friend and bring her back guys, I’m okay, I promise. If anything more serious is going on… Well, I’ll catch up with you both as soon as I can, okay? Please, just relax and have fun until I get back.” The two looked a bit hesitant but agreed, and Derpy set off for Raindrops’ house.

The first thing that she noticed several minutes later upon drawing near was that all the lights were off, even with the sun already down. As if that wasn’t enough, there seemed to be something on the front door. Alarm bells starting to go off in her head, she quickened her pace.

Raindrops had never been much on home maintenance or yard work, but tonight the place looked positively abandoned. Between the lights out, general air of neglect, and whatever was on the door… No. “No, it can’t be…” Beginning to panic, Derpy hurried the rest of the way there and skidded to a halt. It was dark, but she could make out enough words to enter freakout mode.

By Order of the Ponyville Sheriff…

“Drops?! Raindrops! Raindrops, open up right now!!” Derpy yelled through the door, pounding a hoof on it. The lack of reply only made her all the more frantic, knocking harder. “I’ll… I’ll break the door in Drops, I swear I will! Let me in right now!” Trying the handle, she was surprised to find it unlocked and threw the door wide open without hesitation, barreling inside and looking around wildly with the hope that her friend was still there.

She almost wished that she hadn’t been.

The inside of the house was, quite frankly, in disrepair. It was dark, which by now Derpy realized meant the power had been cut. She couldn’t remember the last time she saw lights on here and this took on a whole new awful meaning. Even in the gloom though, she could make out the dust, grime, and piles of very old pizza boxes around the room. There was a bucket in one corner and Derpy could make out the barest hint of a crack and water stain on the ceiling, meaning the roof had been leaking. There were very few possessions left, the majority of the place being empty of all but junk; Derpy couldn’t make out anything in the back room either, at least the one she could see into from the doorway. She could only assume the resident had been selling things for quite a while to help make ends meet.

Speaking of which, something moved. Derpy’s attention snapped to a lump in the middle of a foldout sleeper couch in the center of the room, the only piece of furniture. A small sniffle could be heard as the lump curled up tighter. Slowly, hesitantly, Derpy moved forward into the house.

“Drops…?”

“Go ‘way,” a soft voice mumbled weakly, followed by another sniffle. Derpy’s heart broke.

“Oh Raindrops…” She moved over to the couch, reaching out for the pony lump hiding there. Said lump flinched and pulled away violently.

“Lemme alone!!” Derpy pulled back a little, then quietly sat on the floor at the end of the foldout bed, waiting patiently. When nothing else was forthcoming, she finally spoke up softly.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” A pair of hurt turquoise eyes appeared from the covers, shimmering with unspent tears in the moonlight.

“What was I supposed to say?! The part about being evicted? The part where I-I’m starving and living on grass like an a-animal?” Her breath hitched. “O-Or h-how about the part where I’m a f-failure, huh?” She choked back a sob, closing her eyes and curling into herself more. “I did everything I could… I t-tried my best… I d-don’t get a happy ending to all this,” she whispered to herself, sounding utterly defeated as Derpy listened in something akin to horror. “I-I’ve got nothing left… I-I just wanted... I w-wanted...” But whatever she wanted wouldn’t come out, leaving her to curl up all the more.

“Raindrops…” Derpy tried again softly, making to stand.

“No! J-Just leave me alone…” Her defiant shout returned to a broken whisper again as she curled in on herself again in both body and spirit. “I deserve this, I can’t do any better…” The next several seconds of silence seemed like an eternity before Raindrops heard a pony moving and felt a weight on the bed. As the other body moved closer and made contact with her through the covers she began to thrash and fight, resisting as best as her tired and upset body could.

But Derpy was having none of it, none at all. She’d cry herself to sleep tonight, but Celestia damn her if she shed a single tear right now. Calmly, patiently, she gathered Raindrops up as best as she could, weathering the fight as her friend thrashed and struggled.

“L-Leave me alone..!!”

“No, Drops.”

“J-Just lemme go!”

“I can’t.”

“I-I deserve all of this..!”

“No, you don’t.”

“I-I don’t..! I d-don’t need... I…” A loud sob wracked the yellow pony’s body as the damn finally burst. The hurt, the fear, and the loss all came pouring out as she spun and clung to Derpy for dear life, her whole body shaking as she held desperately onto the one last lifeline she could see as her world finally came down in shambles. She sobbed and cried, burying her face in the other mare’s neck as she held on tightly, needily. She cried for the loss of her security and the stability she’d once had, and the fear of knowing she was just days away from life on the street. She cried for the shame she felt of being seen like this, in a home she just never bothered to care for and with a life she never figured out how to get on track. But what she cried most for was the loss of her dream, her belief that everypony got a fairy tale ending no matter who they were so long as they waited and never gave up. She’d waited so long, and tried so hard, but it just never happened and that hurt so much. Now she was facing a dark, lonely, humiliating, and uncertain future that she was even less prepared to deal with than her life previously. Raindrops just couldn’t see a way out.

Derpy, for all her big loving heart, could not think of a single word to say as she held the sobbing wreck of a pony tightly against her. There was none, she realized. Not a single word she could say would fix this, nothing in Princess Celestia’s vocabulary itself could make this better. However, Derpy knew something else as well, and it was so much more important.

She didn’t need them.

Pulling her friend tighter, Derpy wrapped her wings safely around Raindrops’ shaking form, shielding her from the rest of the world as she began to gently rock her. One hoof soothingly rubbing her back, Derpy began to hum softly. There were no words, she didn’t even know them herself. But her mother had sung it to her, when she was too little to remember anything but the music, and she had sung it to her own daughter in turn. It only felt right to do so now as she held Raindrops safe and secure against her, laying her head atop her friend’s. Raindrops curled up tighter, feeling so small and defenseless in Derpy’s embrace... She gave her a small, reassuring squeeze as she continued her gentle rocking. Every sob, every wiggle, every desperate grab for reassurance Derpy was there to meet and assuage. It felt like hours, and it may well have been, but finally the tears began to dry, and the needy clinging lessened just a little. Derpy suspected that Raindrops had merely cried herself out. Still she rocked her friend soothingly, rubbing her back and humming until she felt the tension bleed away. Raindrops had her face buried in Derpy’s neck, trying to block out the whole world around her as she took refuge there, shielded by the gray wings around her. It was a little while still before Derpy finally spoke.

“Raindrops, is there anything here that you want to take with you?” Her friend whimpered weakly, hiccupping once and snuggling closer.

“T-Take where...?” She mumbled miserably. “The c-cloud I’m gonna go live on? O-Or the field o-out in the forest...?”
“No silly,” Derpy answered softly, “My house. You’re coming to stay with me for a couple of days.” Raindrops groaned softly and shook her head.

“I’m just a burden...”

“I didn’t ask, sweetie,” Derpy admonished gently, giving her friend a reassuring squeeze. “I only asked what you wanted to take with you. Come on now, I’m sure there’s some things you don’t want to do without, right?” After a quiet few seconds a yellow hoof shakily pointed at a cardboard box near the couch, then tugged weakly at the sheet. Derpy made a face; the thing was filthy. She nodded nonetheless.

“Okay then. I know it’s hard right now Drops, but I need you to get up, okay? I’ll get the box, and your sheet. Come on now, I know you can do it.” Never breaking contact, Derpy carefully helped Raindrops off the sleeper. Drops seemed more than a little needy for comfort still and remained tucked against Derpy’s side the whole time her personal effects were gathered up. She was silent except for an occasional whimper or little hiccup.

“There, all done,” Derpy said softly, giving her friend a reassuring nuzzle. “Now let’s get going. The girls will have to spend the rest of the night out without us, we have more important things to do.”

“L-Like what?” Raindrops muttered weakly, leaning against the other pony as the two slowly made their way out the door. Drops didn’t seem too sad to go; she had everything important left in her world with her and she was walking away from nothing but memories of failure, after all. Or maybe she was just too upset to care.

“For one, we need to let Sparkler and Dinky know you’ll be staying over for a bit,” she replied, ambling along at an easy pace. “For two, we need to wash your sheet, it’s dirty. And for three, you need a bath.” Derpy was hoping this would get a little rise out of her friend, but none came. The sojourn was silent for a good couple minutes before Raindrops spoke again.

“Why...?” Derpy knew she wasn’t asking about the bath. In reply she put her wing over Drops’s back, pulling her closer as she contemplated her answer. It didn’t take much for her to reply, right from the bottom of her heart.

“Because it’s the right thing to do.”

-------

“Girls, I’m home!” Derpy called out warmly as she led Raindrops in through the door, out of the night’s chill and into the bright living room. Sparkler was stretched out on the couch like a sloth, Dinky on the floor coloring from the looks of it. The two heads snapped to the door in surprise.

“Mom? You’re home way early.” Sparkler rolled off the couch and to her hooves, looking over with concern. “Did something happen?” Her gaze was immediately drawn to the defeated Raindrops, whose head was bowed sadly as she leaned on Derpy ever so slightly. Dinky looked on innocently, her concern mirroring her big sister’s not out of understanding but just because Sparkler seemed worried too.

“You two remember Raindrops, right?” Two affirmative nods prompted her to continue. “Well, she’s going to be staying with us for a few days.” All was quiet for a moment as Derpy’s two daughters both blinked in surprise. Sparkler looked to Raindrops, then her mom, then her face grew slightly stonier. Dinky broke the silence.

“Hi!” She smiled brightly and waved a hoof excitedly. Raindrops, for all her broken heart, couldn’t help but smile softly.

“Hi, Squirt... Long time no see, whatcha up to...?”

“Coloring! Wanna see?” Derpy smiled softly as well and gave Raindrops a little nudge.

“Why don’t you two play for a little?” She giggled quietly at the weak, baleful look she got from her friend, but Drops went to do just that, trudging over to see what the little filly had been working on. Derpy meanwhile set the box of personal effects in the corner, then took the sheet to be washed. She felt more than heard a pony behind her, turning to look. Sparkler was in the doorway, looking slightly perturbed.

“Mom, what’s really going on? I’ve never seen your friend like that, and there’s a box of things too? Why’s she staying here?” Derpy gave her daughter a long, searching look. Her eldest was growing up, she knew that. She deserved an explanation, but at the same time...

“Sparkler, I need you to trust me for just a little while, okay? There are a few things I need to do so I can try to set this all right. If I can get everything taken care of, I’ll sit down with you and explain everything, but until then please just do everything you can to make Raindrops feel at home with us. She needs a family right now, more than ever.”

Sparkler looked back at her mother, her stance and expression not quite defiant, but slightly troubled. After a few moments she just nodded and left. Derpy watched her go with a worried look of her own, but shook it off. There would be time for explanations later, she had a great deal of errands to run tomorrow... But first...

“Raindrops, I expect your little flank to be in that bathtub in 2 minutes or I’ll chase you in there with a wet washcloth!”

-------

Sunday dawned and Derpy was up with the day’s namesake, letting her daughters sleep in as she quietly bustled about. She put the leftover muffins in the oven and wrote a note for Sparkler on how long to heat them for, as well as telling them all that she’d be out running errands for a while. As she headed for the front door she stopped short at a small snore from the couch, and she crept softly around to look.

Raindrops was curled up on her side, wrapped tightly in her bed sheet and clinging to it like a security blanket all at once. She mewled softly and mumbled something incoherent, lost in dreamland as she curled in on herself a little more. A corner of the sheet found its way into her mouth as she drifted off deeper.

Derpy smiled softly, just watching for a moment. It really took something like this to compare to, but she was now realizing how much stress Drops had really been carrying around with her daily, and for how long. She looked so peaceful and relaxed now, her troubles miles away. If Derpy had anything to say about it, it would be that way for good. Determination overtaking her, she drew herself up and hurried out the door.

“Don’t you worry Drops, I’m gonna make this all better. I have to.”

-------

Lyra groaned as she heard knocking on the door for the third time now. Third. Time! It was like, not even noon on a weekend! Floundering in bed, the mint pony reached out to poke her better half, trying to get Bon Bon to take care of it for her.

“Bon... Somepony’s atta d’r...” She managed to mumble sleepily. The unintelligible groan she got back didn’t even qualify as communication.

“Bon... Come onnnnnn...” Slowly the other pony rolled over, cracking an eye open balefully.

“... Kay, geez...” Struggling out of her warm bed, Lyra plodded tiredly to the door, interrupting the fourth knock by tugging the door open and nearly getting a knock on the head for her trouble.

“Lyra, good morning!” The tired glare she got back was enough to make Derpy squeak and back up a bit, smiling sheepishly. “Oopsie... Ummm, I’m real sorry but this is real important, and I really need your help Lyra...” The imploring look was enough to break the sleepy grump, and with a little sigh she pulled the door open and stumbled to the couch, flopping down and stretching out there.

“Kay, what’s going on?” Derpy sat down, taking a deep breath and then just going for it.

“I need to borrow your nursery.”

“W-What?” Lyra blinked and sat up, a fair bit more awake now. “I... Wow, you didn’t strike me as the type.” She grinned a little. “Must be some emergency if you wanna that badly.”

“No, not for me!” Derpy shook her head emphatically. “Well, not entirely for me. For another pony. A friend.”
Lyra tilted her head inquisitively, prompting the other pony to continue.

“Well... One of my very best friends... Oh, I don’t know where to start!” She wailed, prompting a shushing from Lyra.

“Bon’s sleeping...! Why don’t you start at the beginning?”

So Derpy did. She talked about everything she’d been thinking about since her last visit, how she began to feel more and more certain that she was a caretaker at heart. How she saw little things in other ponies that made her think about how they’d fit in with it. But more than anything, she talked about Raindrops.

She told Lyra all about Drops, her little quirks, the way she made a mess when she ate, sang silly songs way too loud, and danced like nopony was watching even when they all were. She talked about the way her friend saw the beautiful side of life no matter what, the joy that always seemed to be in her heart, and the way she shared it with everypony around her. She described her innocent outlook on life, the way she believed in her convictions wholeheartedly even without any proof of them. And finally, taking a big leap of faith, she told Lyra all about the evening previous.

“... So that’s where it all stands,” she finished with a heavy sigh. By now Bon Bon had crawled out of bed and made the three mares hot chocolate, and the couple was listening raptly to the story.

“That’s... Wow, a lot to take in, Derpy,” Lyra finally offered, her tone both surprised and subdued. “I’m sorry to hear about all that, but... Well, how do we fit in with all this? You need the,” she blushed a little and looked at Bon Bon, “nursery, and come to us with ohhhhhhh...” Lyra rocked back a little as the implication set in.
“You think she’s... That she could be...?” Bon Bon queried quietly, a light blush on her own face as well. Derpy shook her head.

“No, it’s not that I think she could be. I know she already is.” The surprised looks from the other two made Derpy giggle as she elaborated.

“Girls, I’m a mom. It’s just who I am, and... Well, after everything you showed me I can look at her and tell. She’s lost, and she’s not ready to grow up yet. She just doesn’t know that a world like this exists, and I don’t think she knows that she needs somepony there to take care of her. I want to, and I can’t let her get hurt like that again. It goes against everything I am to let a little one, no matter how old they are, be hurt and alone...” She swallowed heavily before continuing. “So, if I bring her over would you two please, please talk with her? Let her see what this all is? It would help so much, and then... Well, then maybe I could help show her...” She trailed off nervously, looking over at the other two. Lyra and Bon Bon looked at one another, sharing a long, silent conversation. Finally they looked back at Derpy, both of them giggling and smiling brightly.

“Deal!”

-------

“Derps, I thought I was gonna be staying at your place today...” Raindrops plodded along next to her friend, that sad defeated pallor still hanging over her like an unbucked storm cloud.

“Drops, you can’t just hide out all day,” Derpy chided gently, wrapping her wing over her companion and pulling her closer without any heed for who might see. “I know you’re not feeling well, trust me, I do. But I have something that might help. You just need to trust me... And maybe keep an open mind.” Her best efforts failed to keep a nervous giggle from escaping. Raindrops blinked, turning her eyes from the cobble street to stare at the pony beside her.

“What have you done now?” Derpy replied with a soft poke to Raindrops’s muzzle.

“Just trust me. Think of it as a... A playdate.” The yellow pony blinked.

“What am I, seven?” Derpy’s ensuing giggling fit was a true puzzle.

“Definitely not! Just trust me, okay?”
The pair turned up a side street and soon were trotting up the walkway to a house Raindrops had not been to before. She gave Derpy a curious glance, her broken mood easing just a touch more in light of her budding inquisitiveness. Derpy merely smiled back, giving her a light squeeze as she softly rapped on the door.

A thundering of hooves akin to a stampede came from inside before the door was thrown open, revealing Lyra grinning and bright eyed at the proverbial peak of her excitement. Twilight Sparkle, had she been there, would recognize that look as appearing anytime a new library book came in involving a certain cryptozoological topic.

“Hi guys! You must be Raindrops, awesome to meet you! Hey, you wanna come in? Bon’s making cookies, with candy in them!” She giggled excitedly, bouncing in place on her hooves.

Raindrops blinked slowly, her upset mood warring against her natural disposition. Slowly a smile worked its way onto her face though and she nodded; it warmed Derpy’s heart to see the shy quality hiding in the motion.

“S-Sure, that sounds great... What kind of candy?” Drops trotted into the house quietly, looking around a little bit before looking back to Derpy with that same shy undertone, who smiled softly and came over to give her a gentle hug.

“You have fun, okay? I’m going to come back here really soon, I need to run a couple errands and then I promise I’ll be here. You three are gonna have a great time, Lyra and Bon Bon are very good little ponies.” Derpy giggled quietly at the blush on the mint pony’s cheeks, which went unnoticed by Raindrops. After a moment she nodded hesitantly.

“Well, alright... Just... Come back soon?” She half asked. Derpy’s nod of approval made her relax just enough to wander deeper into the house, the smells of baked goods and sugary confections providing an almost irresistible siren song. Derpy and Lyra lingered by the door till she was out of earshot.

“Lyra,” she began in a motherly tone, before a little giggle snuck out again. “Don’t eat too many sweets now, if I come back and she has a tummyache we’re going to have a talk.” The other pony squeaked softly, looking at Derpy with wide eyes. She just giggled softly as she turned to go.

“I’ll be back soon, just two stops to make first, if all goes well...” Swallowing nervously, she began to head home. It was high time she discussed this all with her family.

-------

The front door closed softly, but it felt far heavier than it should have as Derpy arrived home. There was so much on her mind, so much to do, but this... It all came down to this, more than anything. She knew in her heart what was right, but... Her daughters came first. If they couldn’t understand, and in the case of her eldest, if they couldn’t approve... She found herself realizing that she may very well be forced to do the wrong thing for the right reasons. Being a mother first, and these two being her fillies, they had to come first. Those heavy thoughts buzzed in her head as she called the two into the living room, busying herself with folding up Raindrops’s sheet and setting it on the armrest.

“Mommy!” Dinky all but bowled into her mother, earning a happy laugh and a snuggle for it. Sparkler followed at a more sedate pace, leaning against a wall and tilting her head curiously.

“What’s up mom?” Derpy smiled softly.

“We need to have a talk, girls...”
Dinky blinked her wide eyes, tilting her head curiously. It was rare, really rare, that Mommy put it that way. Normally she just asked her to do something or said what was on her mind. The last time she could remember hearing that was when she was asked about the baseball through the window that day her and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were trying to earn cutie marks for high speed pitching... Oh. This must be something important. Dinky’s ears lowered a little and she sat down, looking a bit nervous and hoping she’d not done anything bad that she’d forgotten about. She tried so hard to be good, she really did!

Sparkler’s face took on a look of recognition and understanding rather quickly, however. This was about everything that was going on around the house, about her mom’s friend coming over last night and staying for a bit. She was hoping this would give her an answer as to just what was up.

“This about Raindrops?” She asked, polite but bluntly. Derpy sat down on the floor and leaned back against the couch, not answering directly but instead throwing a completely different question out.

“Girls... What would you say if I told you we were going to have another foal in the house?” Dinky’s eyes went wide and Sparkler’s jaw unhinged at Sonic Rainboom speed, though for completely different reasons. Only one of the two was old enough to know where foals came from after all, and she looked to be on the verge of having a minor stroke.

“I... I... Y-You... I.... Wuh... And... Who...?!” Was all Sparkler managed. “W-Wait, no, don’t tell me...!”

“Yaaaaaay! I’m gonna have a little brother or sister!!” Dinky cheered happily, far more focused on the important part of the news, at least to her. Derpy giggled softly and pulled Dinky close, snuggling her warmly.

“That’s right my little muffin, you just might. But, there’s more to it than that,” she turned her gaze to Sparkler, focusing on her with at least her good eye. “And it’s not like that,” she finished, shaking her head to try and dissolve her eldest’s obvious concerns.

“W-Well... Then what?” Sparkler’s brow furrowed, trying to make sense of it. Her mom’s trains of thought were notoriously convoluted though, and she knew by now to just hang in there till the end when she didn’t understand something. Still, the topic was so unexpected that she was having a hard time not being utterly floored.

“What if... What if we were going to have a new foal, but she was a little... Well, a little older than most foals?” Derpy was trying to be subtle, but this was honestly the best she had right then. Both her daughters looked quite puzzled, prompting her to elaborate.

“Say that this pony... Just never grew up, like my two big fillies have.” She smiled lovingly at them both as she continued. “This pony got older, but inside she was still just like you both were when you were little. She would need lots of love, and two big sisters to be there for her and care for her and treat her extra special. Would that be something you girls would like?” Derpy focused on Dinky first, knowing her little one’s response would be much easier either way. She was expecting a yes or a no without too many questions. Dinky appeared to be thinking rather hard before she looked up at her mom.

“If she’s just a baby, then we’re gotta take care of her, right Mommy?” Derpy smiled warmly and gave her daughter a squeeze.

“That’s right muffin, or she’d be all alone.” Dinky gasped and shook her head excessively.

“No! That’s bad, foals aren’t supposed to be alone!” Derpy nodded.

“And if she was Mommy’s size, but still a little foal inside?” Dinky blinked, having to think about that again. After a few moments she answered.

“If she’s bigger then that means she needs more love inside to fill her up and make her happy again, so we just have to try extra hard.” It was Derpy’s turn to blink, finding herself amazed at the simple innocence of her daughter following her heart no matter the circumstances. Finally she smiled warmly, hugging her youngest closer still.

“I love you, my little muffin. You’re so smart already, you amaze me every day. Sparkler, what do you thi-” Derpy looked up and over, freezing.

Sparkler was gone.

-------

“I thought you’d be in your room,” Derpy said quietly as she stepped out the back door, closing it behind her. After sending Dinky off to play in her room she’d scoured the house for her older daughter, finally finding her out back, just sitting on the small patio and looking off into the distance.

“It’s her, isn’t it?” Sparkler replied without preamble, her tone chipped. Derpy was surprised; her daughter was never blatantly disrespectful but this was just about as close as it had ever gotten to it. She sighed softly, trotting a little closer and replying.

“It is.” Sparkler snorted, turning to glare at her mother.

“And how exactly is this our problem?” Derpy blinked, eyes widening a little. Her daughter didn’t give her time to answer before snorting and turning away again, changing the topic.

“I don’t get it. Little, like how?” Struggling to keep up, Derpy took a slow breath and did her best to explain.

“Sparkler... In her heart she’s just a little filly at best, a foal even. She’s been struggling so long, trying to make a life for herself, but she’s... I just don’t think she’s ready, sweetheart. She doesn’t get it. You’re out there already, getting ready for your life. But Drops... She failed out of weather work, and... Well, everything else too. She’s hurting, she’s alone, about to be homeless, and she needs a family to take care of her. I think... Maybe if we took a shot at raising her, she’d be ready one day. Maybe. She would just need a lot of time.”

“And if not?”

“Well, then I take care of her forever.” Sparker snorted again, scowling. Actually scowling.

“So you’re gonna what, stick her in a crib and dote on her forever?” She replied angrily. Derpy recoiled a little.

“And why wouldn’t I, if she needed it?” The harsh tone was truly throwing Derpy for a loop, her daughter had never been like this before.

“What good does it do? It’s not gonna fix anything! So what if she’s some... Some big foal! Coddling her isn’t gonna make anything better, it’s not gonna find her a job and make her into anything! If the world’s not gonna wait for her to grow up then why should we, huh?” She kept her back to Derpy, shaking just a little.

“T-That’s enough now, Sparkler! You weren’t there to see her, you don’t understand what she’s been through and how hurt she is. If you just took a little more time to-”

“I don’t need any more time to see what I need to see! Babying a grown mare is a waste of time and you shouldn’t do it!”

“Sparkler, what’s gotten into you?” Her daughter stood and whirled on her mother... But her eyes were glimmering with unshed tears.

“What’s gotten into me? What’s gotten into me. You know what’s gotten into me, mom, is watching you-” She paused, taking a shaky breath and trying to calm her tone. “Is watching you throw yourself at... At cause after cause, at pony after pony... M-Me... Her now? When... When’s it time for you? When do you get to just... Just stop all this, stop struggling for jobs, stop hitting your head against the door rushing to work, stop worrying over money and more mouths to feed... I know you do, I see it! You think I don’t but I do!” She sniffled, looking away. “I just... I’m so tired of you doing things like this and making things harder on yourself... You deserve a break, you’ve done enough...” The fight burned out of her and her feelings finally on the table, Sparkler was too distracted to see the enveloping hug the she was wrapped in from behind.

“Oh my big girl... You’ve grown up so fast on me, sometimes I just forget how smart you and how big your heart is,” Derpy said softly, hugging her daughter close. Sparkler didn’t resist, but neither did she lean in to the attention. She just sat there working to compose herself again.

“Sweetheart... Maybe it’s time I start being a little more direct with you about running the house, you’re right. Money is really tight, and doing something like this will make things harder. In fact, I might need to borrow a little from some of my friends to help us over the hump. But Sparkler, there’s two things that I want you to think about.” Derpy gave her a gentle squeeze, continuing.

“For one, a burden is what you make of it. You are not a burden to me, and never have been, and I never want to hear you suggest that again, not ever. I loved you from the moment I saw you, and I knew you were my daughter right then and there. Drops... Well, it’s taken much longer, but I feel the same way now. In my heart she has a place in our family, and I really, really want you and Dinky to feel the same way about her. She needs us, and in my time raising you I hope I’ve taught you that doing the right thing isn’t always easy, but it’s always its own reward.”

“Secondly, you need to trust your family more, my muffin... Enough to come to me with what you’re worried about and share with me, so I can try to make it better. This whole talk could have been avoided if you’d just been honest with me a long time ago and told me you were worried about our money. When you let it build up, you snap at somepony who doesn’t deserve it. You don’t think Drops deserves that, do you?”

Sparkler shook her head a little.

“Okay. You’re... Princess above, you’re nearly an adult now, all grown up right before my eyes. Just a year or two more and you’ll be out there in the big wide world, all successful and chasing your dreams.” Derpy smiled lovingly, leaning in and whispering conspiratorially. “And you want to know something extra special, Sparkler?” Her daughter turned her downcast eyes up, head tilted curiously in a silent question.

“I will never, ever be proud of a little foal in the same way I’m proud of the young mare you’ve become,” she replied with a warm look. “You amaze me every day, and I love you very much.”

Sparkler blinked, her eyes growing a bit glassy again as she hugged her mother tightly back.

“I love you too mom... I’m sorry for yelling...”

“I know you are, my muffin. That’s why I’m only taking your music away for three days.” Sparkler pulled back, looking shocked.

“W-What? Why? I thought you were proud of me!” Derpy smiled again and nodded.

“I am. But even though your heart was in the right place, you expressed it in the wrong way. I know you’ll do better next time though, because I believe in you.” Giving her eldest a little nuzzle, Derpy turned and headed back in, leaving a mildly puzzled Sparkler sitting there to puzzle it all out.

“She punishes me... Because she loves me. Ugh. I hate mom logic...”

-------

About an hour later a lightly blushing, slightly nervous Derpy found herself standing on the front step of Lyra and Bon Bon’s home once again, a big paper bag from the foal supply store hanging out of her saddlebags from the stop she’d made after leaving the house. Her girls were still at home, most likely talking up a storm about the possible new arrival to their household. Concerns for her mom aside, Sparkler had no real problems in regard to the... different situation at hoof. A pony was a pony, she’d decided. In the end she was standing behind her mom, even if she was bummed about being bereft of music for a few days.

Knocking quietly yielded no response, so Derpy tried a little louder. That failing, she pressed her ear against the door. Nothing... Wait... Faint squealing laughter. She blinked, then giggled a little and tried the knob, figuring it would be okay to let herself in this once. The house appeared empty inside, but she could hear sounds from the hall and headed that way, stopping again outside the nursery door and listening. Yep, definitely ponies in there. Derpy quietly turned the handle, cracking the door just a teensy bit to see inside. The sight she was met with melted her heart.

All three ponies were inside, and from the looks of it they’d been spending a good portion of the last couple hours in there. Toys were strewn messily all over the floor, from building blocks to little toy chariots to dolls, even a couple picture books. It looked like a tornado hit the place! The reason why might have been the two ponies chasing each other wildly around the room, giggling up a storm and paying no heed whatsoever to their surroundings.

Raindrops must have been “It” because she was chasing Lyra, her look of focused determination interspersed with occasional wild giggles and empty taunts. The weight of the world was again off her back, if her carefree posture was anything to go by. Taking a turn too slow she tumbled wildly into a big pile of stuffed toys, drawing big squeals and giggles from the other two ponies.

Lyra for one used the opportunity to taunt her, sticking her tongue out and blowing a loud raspberry while crossing her eyes. Derpy had no idea just what specific paths the conversation had gone down in her absence, but seeing as Lyra was currently dressed in one of her diapers it must have covered quite a lot. Turning around and shaking her flank for good measure, she darted off again as Raindrops let out a mighty war cry and pounced her way, falling short by quite a distance. Giggling madly, the mint pony tried to scramble for the crib at the far side of the room to take shelter there.

“No! I’m staying out of this!” The final occupant of the room giggled softly from her safe spot on the bed as she tried to raise the bars to protect herself. Bon Bon, true to her love of being warm and comfy, was dressed in a fleece sleeper that matched her coat color almost perfectly. Little candies covered the whole thing, the cuffs alternating in pink and purple to match her mane. Clearly it had been made just for her. Bon Bon’s desperate attempt to pull the bars up failed, but was enough to make Lyra revise her plan. Flopping on her tummy, the pony shimmied under the half raised bars and took refuge below, calling out frantically.

“Drop em, drop em!”

Bon Bon complied with a giggle, giving Lyra a safe spot down below as Raindrops skidding to a stop. The two ponies peered at each other through the bars, the perfect recreation of a zoo exhibit, before both grinned triumphantly at once.

“I win!” They exclaimed in unison, before blinking in surprise.

“Huh?” Both looked at each other, having managed to utter than in unison as well. After a small silence Raindrops went first.

“I trapped you! You lose!”

“But you didn’t tag me! So I win!” Raindrops huffed.

“That’s not in the rules!”

“That’s the name of the game though! ‘I win!’” Lyra giggled more, a proud grin on her face as she lay there. She stuck her tongue out again for good measure. Raindrops tilted her head a little, then began grinning widely in return.

“Oh yeah? And what if I don’t let you out, winner?” She giggled, rearing up and placing her forelegs atop the downed crib bars. “Bon Bon and I could just go for more cookies, riiiiiiight now!” Lyra gasped, her eyes going wide as she squirmed a little in place.

“Foul brigand! Thou wouldn’tst dare!” Raindrops giggled more in reply and gave Bon Bon a conspiratorial look.

“Shooooould we?” The quietest of the trio appeared to ponder it in classic thinker pose, only reaching a hoof down to bat teasingly at Lyra to shush her pleas and ‘I love yous’.

“Weeeeeell,” she dragged out, “On one hoof, it would be fun to eat them all up right in front of her...” Lyra’s pleading only intensified. “But, if I do then she’ll be pouty with me all night...”

“T-That’s right!” Lyra desperately grasped onto her lifeline to cookies, trying to look up at Bon Bon above by smooshing her face into the bars. “I’ll be a pain all night! I’ll make you sleep in here!”

“No, you’ll sleep on the couch and I’ll get my choice of which bed I want,” Bon Bon replied seriously, leaning over and looking back with a glint in her eye. Lyra squeaked and cowered a little bit.

“How about some muffins instead girls? I think you’ve had enough cookies for now.” Three heads whipped to the doorway where Derpy was standing, a warm smile on her face. Three simultaneous blushes soon followed, and the two free ponies started trying to help the third out of her predicament.

“Lyra, Bon Bon, how about you two head out to the kitchen for snack time. I’d like to talk with Drops alone for a little.” Nodding a bit, the couple obediently headed for the door, Lyra waddling just a little bit as neither had bothered to change clothes. Derpy watched them go with a little giggle before turning back to Raindrops, who was standing near the crib still and fidgeting some.

“I hope you had a good time while I was away, did everything go okay?” Derpy wandered into the room a little more, watching Raindrops as she nodded shyly.

“That’s good, I’m glad to hear that. They talked with you about everything too, I’m sure.” Another nod.

“And... Drops, you’re a smart pony, I don’t think I need to hint around at what this is all about, do I?” She smiled again, a warm, patient, loving one that held no judgment but held no room for denial either. It was a look that said ‘I know, and it’s okay.’

Raindrops looked down at her hooves, blushing brightly and mumbling softly.

“I didn’t catch that, silly.” Derpy came closer, stopping just in front of the other pony and waiting there.

“I-I said... That... T-That you want this for me,” Raindrops mumbled a little louder, still refusing to make eye contact. “I kinda see it now... The way you’ve been treating me here and there, t-taking me in... H-How long have you been wanting this Derps, and why did you never tell me?” Raindrops finally looked up inquisitively, almost looking a touch hurt at the conclusion she’d drawn. Derpy in turn just smiled and shook her head, sitting and reaching out to pull the other pony closer.

“That’s not it at all, Drops. I just learned about all this myself. And as I did, I found myself thinking about who I knew that would fit into this world, and guess who I saw?” She giggled softly at the little blush forming on Raindrops’s cheeks. “I saw my very best friend. The silly pony who loves life so much it hurts, who wakes up each morning believing the day’s gonna be the best one ever, the pony who still believes in happily ever after, when so many others lose that as they grow. You have such a big heart, but it’s so innocent too. I just realized... Well, you never grew up, silly filly. And...” She found herself struggling a little for words again, but pressed on to the point. “And I know it would be a big change, but my girls and I talked and we would all love for you to come and live with us. You can be as big or as little as you want, so long as you’re happy. I just... I love you, Drops. You’re my best friend, and... If you wanted to, you have a place in our family too.” All her cards on the table, Derpy just held her friend quietly and waited to see the hand she’d been dealt.

It was silent for a time. Derpy waited patiently, her heart hoping deep down for an affirmative response. It was right about the time that worry was barely beginning to bud that the pony held against her whirled and squeezed her in a crushing embrace, burying her face in Derpy’s neck and holding on for all she was worth. Derpy almost lost her balance and toppled, her wings flailing to give her purchase before she was able to return the embrace, hers warm and accepting and inviting where Raindrops’s was needy and clingy and desperately hopeful. Slowly wrapping her wings around as her balance returned, the two stayed like that for a long time, mother and daughter.

Sometimes, no words needed to be said for two hearts to reach out to one another.

-------

*THREE WEEKS LATER*

Derpy’s sweet and muffin-filled dreams were shattered without the barest hint of mercy as a yellow and cyan bomb landed in the middle of her bed. Yelping and flailing in place, she sat bolt upright, only to find herself muzzle to muzzle with her grinning youngest daughter.

Well, youngest was a matter of perspective in the household these days.

Raindrops had moved in to the Hooves household to stay, and though it had taken a couple days for her to warm up, things had never felt brighter for her or the other occupants. Derpy and Drops’s friends had been informed of the move, but not the specifics. They might have formed their own opinions about the nature of the two ponies’ relationship, but the mares were too amused by the incorrect conclusions to bother setting them straight them yet.
What had started out as playful offhoof comments had slowly eased into a more foalish role for the big filly, including bibs at mealtimes (which she really needed, nopony could possibly dispute that) and story times and a pacifier for bed. Drops had been a bit resistant at first, but it was more out of shyness than true dislike for the special attention she received. Time had worn that down bit by bit until she found herself in trouble one night for throwing a small tantrum when the routine wasn’t right. A punishment of missing one of her regular playdates with Lyra and Bon Bon had fixed her bad attitude going forward, however. Her wardrobe around the house had slowly been changing as well.

“Told ya I make a good alarm clock!” Raindrops grinned a bit more before plopping back on her diapered backside, tail flicking back and forth as she waited for her mother’s response.

“Hmmmmmm, it’s missing something,” Derpy replied faux-thoughtfully, screwing her face up in a mildly sleepy thinking pose. “What could it beeeeee?” Raindrops giggled nervously, but smiled all the more.

“What? What?!” She was practically bouncing in place, her wings fluttering just a touch.

“It’s right on the tip of my nose, what is it?” Derpy drew the tense moment out just a little more. “Oh, I know!” In a deft motion she launched herself forward, gently knocking Raindrops back onto her back before leaning in and blowing a huge raspberry on her tummy. The shrieking squeals of laughter would have probably been enough to wake the rest of the household.

“Alarm clocks make noise!!” She giggled and did it again, renewing the giggle assault and pleas for mercy. Raindrops was devilishly ticklish, Derpy had found. She had also found that she had no qualms with exploiting it, pretty much whenever she pleased. The happy laughter seemed like it was washing away all the little emotional scars that her baby’s brush with homelessness had left. It warmed Derpy’s own heart to see what a little bit of loving attention could do in the life of somepony who so desperately needed it.

“Okay you little giggle monster, get going for breakfast, and please wake your sisters on the way if they’re not up and moving.” Giving her baby a warm nuzzle, she helped the big giggling foal up off the bed and sent her on her way with a playful swat to her crinkly rear, which elicited another squeal and giggle as she ran out of the room.

Raindrops had been especially nervous about trying diapers or any other foal clothes at first. In fact, she’d refused outright to begin with. It had taken a week of coaxing (and a week of teasing from Lyra about her being naked) for her to finally try it, just once. She never, ever fathomed using them, but the comfort and security she felt overrode her qualms and nervousness instantly. Now the only times she found herself without them on around the house were the rare occasions guests were over. The warm and safe feelings were only compounded by the loving acceptance she found in her new home. For the first time in her life, she was loved inside and out for just being herself.

‘I guess... It just never hit me till all this happened how perfect this is for me,’ Raindrops summarized to herself as she wandered down the hall.

“Hi Drops! Did you sleep good?” Raindrops was pulled from her musings, looking down and into the eyes of her, ahem, big sister Dinky. She smiled brightly back and nodded.

“Yay! Don’t forget to brush your teeth after breakfast or Mommy’ll be mad.” She bounced happily down the hall, leaving a lightly blushing Raindrops in her wake.

“... Not gonna forget again, yeesh...”

Dinky had taken to treating Raindrops as her little sister, just as much as she would had the pair been flesh and blood related. The two would spend time coloring together, playing tag in the backyard, and Dinky was more than happy to share her toys with her new sister as well. Derpy found herself amazed and proud at how her not-quite-as-little-anymore muffin was learning responsibility, and knew in her heart that she was going to grow up into a fine young mare someday. Raindrops on the other hoof found herself feeling smaller and smaller every day as she was consistently treated the age she acted rather than the age she was. Hmph.

“Don’t hog the hallway crinklebutt,” a teasing voice came from one door down, though the playful smile on Sparkler’s face disarmed the comment entirely. “If you take too long I’m gonna have to feed you breakfast again, and we both know how big of a fuss you make over that.”

“I-I do not! And it’s cause I don’t need it!” Raindrops stuck her nose up in the air all snootily, but this only caused her to miss the incoming hoof that ruffled her mane and made it a big mess. She squealed a little and plopped down, reaching up to fix it.

“H-Heeeey..!” A playful chuckle was her reply.

“Come on, hurry it up. I’m gonna make pancakes, I’ll let you lick the batter if you get there before mom can see it to bust us.” She winked conspiratorially as Drops perked up, nodding a great deal and making a mad dash for the kitchen.

While Sparkler had been vehemently opposed to the whole situation at first, it had never truly been on the grounds of opposing Raindrops herself, nor had she been excessively disturbed by her new sister’s foalish tendencies. The heart of her worries had truly been for her mom and how this change was going to affect her. It had not gone unnoticed the changes Sparkler had been making the last couple weeks. From cooking breakfast to picking up a few more chores around the house to applying herself a little more diligently to her studies, the eldest daughter had chosen to ease her own concerns by making them go away herself. She told herself that a little extra effort would make it that much easier on her mom, and maybe that would even everything out again.

Derpy’s head poked around the corner as she watched Raindrops try to stick her face right in the bowl of pancake batter, only to be given an extra spatula to lick. She giggled softly. Sparkler had been a teensy bit weirded out at first, but Derpy would be an inattentive mother if she’d not caught her oldest spying on their story time in the doorway at night.
While they’d managed to snag and clean the foldout couch from Drops’ house, they were acutely short on spare rooms. This left Drops bunking with Dinky, the two being closest in age (technically). While things were ever so slightly cramped, it made for a very easy story time each night for Derpy and her two youngest. One night she had called Sparkler on standing just out of sight. Getting to read a bedtime story to all three of her little muffins at once was a memory Derpy would cherish for the rest of her life.

Taking her time, Derpy finally entered the kitchen and saw to getting juice poured out into three glasses and one sippy cup. Raindrops saw this and pouted, but whether it was because she wasn’t allowed a glass too or because it wasn’t the bottle she had started getting at night was anypony’s guess. In a treat never available before due to waking up so late, the four pony family sat down to a real breakfast together, talking happily about the upcoming day as Drops made a total mess of her face with syrupy pancakes.

“Alright girls, time for work,” Derpy lamented as she finally rose, taking a wet washcloth around the table and beginning to clean Raindrops’ face without preamble. Said pony squealed in discontent, her wriggling and fighting doing little to stop her persistent mother. Derpy was used to it by now.

“You two have wonderful days learning, I love you and I’ll see you both tonight,” she smiled warmly at her two oldest. “And you,” she turned back to Drops, “I still desperately need a foalsitter for. Can you be a big filly for me for the next hour till you need to leave?”

“Yeah, yeah...” Raindrops nodded, sulking ever so slightly but agreeing all the same. It was true she didn’t like the times she was told to be responsible, even if all it entailed was ‘don’t destroy the house when there’s nopony here to stop you.’ Even so, Drops was finding it easier than she had expected to, well, pretend to be a grownup, as she put it. For the age she acted and felt inside, she was still mature enough to hold down the fort alone, if need be.

After the others had all left a short time later, Raindrops flopped down on the couch, stretching out with a little crinkle as she wrapped herself up in her sheet and pondered her life. Never in a million years would she have believed this was where she fit in, but... She couldn’t argue with how she felt. She had two sisters and a mom that loved her dearly. Those dark, scary days where she didn’t feel safe and secure seemed like a bad dream now, one she’d woken up from and into a far more joyous place. She made a face at having to change out of her comfy attire shortly, but she’d never be caught outside dressed as she was and it was a bit of a walk to Bon Bon’s shop. Her new friend had encouraged her to come by for a couple hours a day and help around the candy store. Nothing huge, just some simple cleaning and lending a hoof on small tasks. It was not a job. And the little bit she was taking for it was not a paycheck. She was just hanging out with an understanding friend during the day so she stayed out of trouble.

Raindrops giggled softly, finding her pacifier and popping it in and enjoying just a little bit more time to unwind and relax before heading out the big wide world outside. It wasn’t scary to her anymore though. She’d found her happily ever after in it.

-------

Late that night, long after all three of her girls were off in dreamland, Derpy slipped outside onto the back patio. It had been another good day; not perfect, but what day was? A little mug of hot cocoa in her hooves that was an unnecessary ward against the temperate evening, the gray mare sat down and took a slow sip and relaxed. The crickets were chirping and the whole world seemed utterly tranquil and at peace, mirroring the pony’s own heart.

A flash of light drew her attention upward, leaving Derpy in awe at the sight of a shooting star. She contemplated making a wish, but before anything could come to mind her gaze fell on the terminus of the meteor’s glowing path - a little patch of night sky where if she looked hard enough there rested a set of bubbles, three diamonds, and a blank spot there in the endless sea of stars. She blinked, her eyes lining up flawlessly for just that moment. She could just make out the three water droplets there, clustered with the others, forever in the sky with her family. Derpy smiled softly, realizing in her heart that for all the twists and turns on her road of life, this was meant to be all along.

All she had to do was look.

Author's Note:

Howdy all. Before I start I need to make a decent disclaimer. I've had this story done for a month now but I've been terrified to submit it due to its content being almost universally blackballed by the community. I don't relish the idea of the mean comments that I'm no doubt going to get in spades for this, but a friend convinced me to finally do this, so here I am. I'll cut to the quick..

This is a diaper/ adult foal story.

Before you start slamming the downvote button and coming up with awful things to say to me for submitting this, I'm well aware of the perceived quality of many of these kinds of stories, that they can sometimes pander and be largely fanservice for those who already have interest in these things. While everything has its place and there's nothing wrong with those stories when they're well written, I wrote this with a more general audience in mind, hoping that I could use a different topic to approach the more general themes of love, family, and belonging that I was trying to hit. If you're still against it, then please hit back and forget it was ever here. If you read it and hate it, by all means downvote me for it, honest opinions are more than fine with me. But if you're just looking to be mean for the sake of being mean.. We're all ponies, aren't we? I don't think this is the community for that, or at least I don't want to think so. Anyways, I hope you enjoy if you do decide to give it a try, and thanks for your time reading if you do.

All credit for my inspiration, and courage to post this, goes to The Conflicted Writer. He's a great writer and great friend, go watch him and upvote his stuff!

Lastly, I apologize for paragraph formatting issues, i.e. failed indentations here and there. I fought with that for ages and it's a battle I just can't win, it always reverts.

Comments ( 62 )

It was a cute story. Not my cup of tea but you have done a very good job. I was drawn in with the first few paragraphs enough so that I was not bothered by the topic.:moustache:

1988400

Thank you so much!! That means a ton, honest!

You know how I feel already. :pinkiesmile:

So far it seems good ^^

My mind.
It is full of endless wat.
But it was a well-written wat-filling experience, so I'm not sure how I feel about this.
i still don't think i even though not one bit

This story really really hit home for me. So many things I could relate to in it, it was truly amazing. I'm not ashamed to say you actually had me in tears my good man.

Now for a little bit of Criticism :heart: There were a couple places where you should have put periods instead of commas but we all make mistakes :scootangel: I'm not a stickler for formatting like other ponies but sometimes Dialogue was a little hard to follow! All in all though dude this was really really good. It touched on some very serious things and I commend you for your bravery on writing this story I really do,

Very cute story, even though it’s not really my cup of tea, you mixed in enough humor and true reactions due to personalities to keep me interested though. I do have to ask though, do you plan to do a sequel?

2007628

Hey, thanks a ton, i'm really happy you liked even if the subject matter's not your thing. <3 I was really, really hoping i would be able to appeal to people outside and inside this interest alike.

As for a sequel, i'm not opposed to it and if i can get inspired i think i will. I write as ideas come to me, sometimes it takes a while to latch onto something that really speaks to me. When i do though, you can be sure i'll get to work on it ^_^

2007436

Thanks so much! Hearing things like that really makes me happy, i put a lot into this and posted it honestly expecting a nasty backlash more than anything. It's really heartwarming to see my fears appear to be so unfounded <3

As for grammar and dialogue, i know i tend to write a little oddly at times =P As i get ideas i guess they kind of just flow out onto the page, and sometimes i don't slow down enough because i really see the scene clearly in my head and i forget to fill in some of the blanks. I always want to find a balance between setting the pace i want in the narrative and making sure everything is clear and properly descriptive before i move on, sometimes i fall too far to one side or the other though ^^;; I'll try to remember to slow it down a little next time and get some more sentence breaks in there.

2007037

It's totally okay to have a bit of a O_o reaction to this kind of story if it's not your thing, no worries. Thanks a lot for reading and commenting all the same, that you enjoyed it in spite of it not being your interest means a lot to me!

I want MOAR! :flutterrage: I don't care if it is complete MOAR!

2008351
2008381
2008367
Most people put all their replies in a single post, rather than spam their own story.
Just a thought.

Despite the big length of this fic I enjoyed it with all my heart. I really don't think there needs to be more. :eeyup:

Very good, very cute. Sequel perhaps?

My heart! Ugh, I can't take it. This was painfully sweet and heart-wrenching. To say I liked it would be a crime. I loved every moment of it. Great work, Sunnypuff.:twilightsmile:

This was a great read. Well done!

2009463

Thanks a bunch!! Makes me really happy to hear that!

2011538

It's not entirely out of the question, if not a direct sequel involving this little family then something tangentially related that takes place in the same universe. If i do the next piece might be something more lighthearted and cute before i try tackling another more lengthy idea, but at the moment there's not a lot floating around in my head inspiration-wise. Once something hits though, i'll get on it ^^

2012525

Nyaaaaaah!! ^///^

2016436

Thank yoooou! ^_^

I'm amazed more people didn't have heart attacks from this. Now I can't get the idea of writing an adult foal story of my own out of my head...

By the way, The Conflicted Writer led me here.

I will be honest with you, the general topic isn't really my cup of tea going into this. But...wow....I'm impressed. This fanfic is really well done! I don't understand why people just see the topic and instantly dislike it. What makes me different than other outsiders is that I came here with an open mind. And I have to say was it worth it. The emotion that surges through you reading this fic is quite intense, and gave me a new sense of Derpy in the fact that she is a great mother and puts her family first. Even though she may not be the richest pony ever, she still takes Drops in. I mean, this story is believable. Very believable. In fact this fic made the topic at hand understandable for me in general. I think with the stresses of life today, and what Raindrops was going through, I now understand why that happened, and happens in fics and IRL. It makes sense. And when I imagine Raindrops at the end hopping kind of like a joyous Pinkie skipping around, it warms my heart. I couldn't stop thinking about it for 2 days after I finally finished it. So I can not give you enough appreciation for writing this, and don't understand why some instantly dislike it. Bronies are criticized for sexual deviancy, who are we to do the same! This actually makes the #1 fic in my book to date. :twilightsmile:

First off, never feel like you shouldn't post a fic because of the subject matter.

If you like the subject, then I can guarantee that someone else will, and sharing a story that you enjoyed writing with one person that enjoyed reading it outweights random asshats that goes "trololololol diapers downvote" because seriously, who the fuck cares about them?

So if you ever write anything else, be it adult foals or anything else, just hit that publish button as soon as the editing is done, I can guarantee you that someone will enjoy your story.

Now onto the story itself, or rather what I tought of it.

It was actually much darker than I had expected, and the part with Derpy cradling Drops inside Drops house had me misty eyed, so good work on that.

The playdate with LyraBon along with the ending had me go D'aawwwww:heart: wich I'm sure was something you were going for, so good job on that as well.

I really like Sparkler in this fic, being your typical teenager, lazy, hates morning, smarter than one think but hoof in mouth and bottling up stuff stops people from seeing it. That and her initial objections had some very good merits from a practical standpoint.

In short, good job on this, I greatly enjoyed it (so much that it kept me up to 3:30AM), and I wouldn't mind seeing more fics from you in the future.

If you asked me 4 months ago if I liked Adult Foal stories I would have looked at you funny, times change eh xD?

Oh and I blame/thank ConflictedWriter for making me read this.

2065970
Hehe, i'm glad to hear that! The more stories out there the better, if you decide to i wish you luck and hope i get to see it when it's posted!

2120863
Thanks a bunch for your comment! As for posting it, i'm just a really shy person and i dislike dealing with drama and conflict, so it just made it real hard putting up something that i knew some people would give me trouble over just for fun. Fortunately, that's not happened and i really am glad to hear so many have liked it so far. I'm really glad you liked it too! And i'm definitely happy to hear that you're enjoying this whole little genre of stories now too, the more the merrier ^^ I'm not opposed to writing more, if i can get a solid idea to latch onto i'll start planning so we'll just have to see ^_^

This was the best fic i have ever read. Can we have a second one? Please? Please mommy?

What initially caught my interest was the subject matter. Adult foals? Infantilism? I opened up the story somewhat warily, unsure what exactly I would find, whether it would be a decent story or crudely written fetish material. I didn't bother reading the disclaimer at the bottom, opting instead to dive in blind and with an open-mind.

What I had found amazed me. You managed to create a story that touched on several themes that a general audience (read: someone who doesn't know what adult foal stuff is) could relate to; it managed to hit home in many places for me. There were several teary moments, like Derpy embracing Drops with her wings, or Sparkler's feelings about being a burden to Derpy. Even the image of Drops and Lyra waddling around in diapers was cute, and Derpy acting as a mother figure to them all was heart-warming.

I was honestly surprised at the length of this story, which by all means helped me relate to the characters and setting before the adult foal topic came up. By the time it did, it didn't feel forced. Sure, imagining "adult" characters reverting to a younger state was strange (if only because of the nature of their alternate lifestyle), but I accepted it as being just another way for them to cope in a harsh and unforgiving "grown-up" world, and I definitely understand the reasoning behind it. Overall, I'm very happy to have stumbled upon this. It was a sweet story full of love and hope. You get a favorite and an upvote from me. :twilightsmile:

2196400 Thanks a bunch! Another story is in the works, -barely- in the works but it's lightly planned out and i'll get it done eventually xD

2269069 Thank you soooooooo much, you honestly made my day with that.. <3 All the goals i set out to reach you kinda confirmed i landed. Thank you for giving it a shot, there's a lot of stereotypes that anyone writing something a bit, ah, alternative, has to kinda combat. Open minded ponies who give new things a try make me happy ^_^

What a great story. I've been following it for a while, but never had the chance to finish it. It took me longer than it should have, but as I read I found myself enjoying it more and more. I really like the jokes and references, they help keep a not-so-serious mood. The small lines you used for separation really helped me find my place when I had to leave and come back to it later, and I could only find one spelling error which is rare for me (dam not "damn finally burst"). The part where drops was evicted, and the argument with sparkler showed off derpy's motherly nature, a key point in this story. Sparkler's character felt real and her concerns about her mother felt genuine. I've read a few sad stories on this site before, but this was the first one to actually give me a strong feeling to want to cry. I especially loved the ending and the reference to the stargazing from the beginning of the story. It was a touching tale and I can't wait to read the next story you have planned.

Comment posted by Smitty91 deleted Apr 8th, 2013

This story was so touching! I loved it! Still, I would have liked to see more interaction with Lyra and Bon Bon concerning Raindrops, particularly after Derpy left. I can't help but want to read about what happened after she left. I don't know why. A very well-written, well-paced story that I hope will get a sequel eventually. Well done! I can't believe someone would criticize this or downvote it. It's just a story, a work of fiction. Nothing more. No need to get upset over it. Sparkler's reaction to the news was realistic and very touching as well. I'm really glad you included Dinky.

This story was so touching! I loved it! Still, I would have liked to see more interaction with Lyra and Bon Bon concerning Raindrops, particularly after Derpy left. I can't help but want to read about what happened after she left. I don't know why. A very well-written, well-paced story that I hope will get a sequel eventually. Well done! I can't believe someone would criticize this or downvote it. It's just a story, a work of fiction. Nothing more. No need to get upset over it. Sparkler's reaction to the news was realistic and very touching as well. I'm really glad you included Dinky.

This story was so touching! I loved it! Still, I would have liked to see more interaction with Lyra and Bon Bon concerning Raindrops, particularly after Derpy left. I can't help but want to read about what happened after she left. I don't know why. A very well-written, well-paced story that I hope will get a sequel eventually. Well done! I can't believe someone would criticize this or downvote it. It's just a story, a work of fiction. Nothing more. No need to get upset over it. Sparkler's reaction to the news was realistic and very touching as well. I'm really glad you included Dinky.

This has been the best read I had in quite a while. Thank you for that. :rainbowkiss:

I love the way you wrote the dialogue, it felt really natural and is some of the best I've seen until now. The story itself was very good, too and the way you portrayed the characters... oh, sweet Celestia, the way you portrayed the characters. Overall, you have earned this:

[img]blog.flickchart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/citizen_kane.gif[/img]

This story is surprisingly good, especially given the subject. I'm surprised it doesn't have more views and upvotes - it almost seems mainstream.

Beautiful and heartwarming, qualities I seldom see in stories on this theme. Absolutely wonderful. :derpytongue2:

That was a very cute story. I'm glad I finally read it.

I have to be honest, I was actually glad you added the disclaimer, because it spared me from getting blindsided. I had to do some research on sexual fetishes for a college newspaper article once, and I'm (unfortunately) familiar with some very disturbing concepts - compared to that, a person voluntarily regressing to their childhood on a temporary or permanent basis is no big issue. A few friends of mine indulge in "pony play" sometimes, and although I was seriously weirded out at first, I had little choice to just accept it as a thing that they did, as long as no one got hurt and they were able to lead productive lives in general. I weighed whether to give the story a miss or a try, and picked the latter.

All in all, a cute story, and it touches base on the social pressure of an adult to act like an adult and follow the norm of society. Stories should evoke critical thought, and this did so. And it was consensual and clearly what Raindrops needed to heal. I do hope though that she will grow up eventually once she's ready.

Also, what does Raindrops' real parents think about this?

Well done. You have a good story here and I'm glad you chose to go ahead and put it out. It kind of sums up what I feel is Derpy's prime quality greatly. I won't deny it made me tear up several times and not just out of sadness at some of what was going on.

i'll say the same thing i said on pinkie dinky pie, i never did like ab/dl stories. they always laked color, character, plot, sometimes story in general but this, this has truly thrown me a curve ball. It aplays to all sides of me (and you will find there's a lot) as for my writing side, it is a beautiful plot, amazing character interaction and most importune CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. To the brony side of me it doesn't take the character's out of what they would actually act like (with exceptions of course). And to the "normal" side of me it doesn't creep me out and i find it entertaining. Well done. :raritywink:

This is a very well written story. So far I love how some of the stories I've read include a few common elements like the secret adult foal shop and characters like Lyra and Bon Bon. This story hits right at home for many people. Adult life can be hard and not everyone is meant to grow up nor can handle those stresses. And I truly believe there are the caretakers and the adult "babies" out there that still dont realize they are.

I myself am an ab, and I do know at least one person who is a natural born mommy. Even others feel the same way about her. And she is the only person i've confided my secret in. But i respect her and our friendship to much to ask her to participate in any way. My only problem with being ab is my disability which prevents me from doing anything ab involved for myself. But i dont dare ask for anyones help, and nor have i had luck finding anyone like characters in these stories have been fortunate enough to find. Someday....

3030039

Someday is right, i keep telling myself that too. Keep your chin up, kay? Anything can happen if you don't give up hope. Thanks for reading too!

When I decided to read this story, I had no idea that it was a babyfur story, but when I read the author's notes, I started to laugh because I am a babyfur too. You really should put that info in the "warning" explicitly, so that ponies who want to read babyfur stories can find it.
I have to admit, I don't often come across stories that delve into family dynamics like this one did. It could have used a lot more attention in the nursery, but I enjoyed reading it.

Reading this story left me with a warm feeling, and I really want to write a clever comment as a thank. But can't really think of any clever things to say.
I really loved it though, its well written and touches a subject that I've lately found is surprisingly close to me. Besides being pleasant to reed stories like this really (I think I overuse that word) helps me figuring a lot out.
So in short, let me just thank you for posting this.
(Although I might regret staying up this late to reed it tomorrow)

This isn't a good story.





IT'S AN EXCELLENT ONE! Talk about writting skill. Could you do a sequel about their other friends discovering the whole thing and their reactions?

That was such a heart-warming story! This story had something in it that I find is lacking in a lot of the stories I have read. It brought me into the story and made my heart warm. You have written a truly wonderful and beautiful story, and it is going on my page for all of my 20(at least those that are still on the site) to see. I also feel it deserves recognition, so I will include a link to this in my next blog(if I remember because I don't know for sure when that is).
Overall, this was lovely, and I am glad I gave this a read, and I am glad that you posted this wonderful story for everyone to experience.

I love reading stories about what one might consider "alternative" topics.

This one did not disappoint. It was very fuzzy and heartwarming. I am glad you found the courage to post this story, I for one enjoyed it.

There are a few errors which I can point out in a private message. or another comment, (your choice) but it is about two in the morning at the moment and I don't feel up to logging on to an actual computer, so I will do that later.

You've earned yourself a favorite and a follower, thank you for the good read, and keep writing what makes you happy!

I believe I wrote this story off before due to the rather lazy formatting errors. Missing a double-space between paragraphs is one thing, missing them several times is simply lazy.

That said, now that I've read the story, I will say it is a fairly solid piece of work besides your apparent disregard for the Enter button. The only part that felt a little too forced was Lyra and Bon Bon being DLs, but I suppose I feel that way about any canon character just happening to be them and is through no fault of your own, considering we don't actually know anything about those two. The exposition dips a little too deep into the Informal side of things on a regular basis, but never enough to really ruin the experience. All in all, I would recommend it to people looking for such a story, although it would be passed over for more polished affairs if they were simply interested in a good read.

Very good story, hits its intended mark perfectly. Outstanding work.

Many manly tears were shed during the process of reading this fic, what got them flowing was when Sparkler confronted Derpy. You can tell that she cares about her mother so much that she just wants to ease the load on her back, it was just very very touching.

You did a great job with this fic and really reached the goal that you aimed when writing this. It really made me feel warm and happy inside.

Wow, this was reeeaaaally good... Actually made me step back and look at my own life and personality 0.0 so... Thank you I think? Lol, anyway great job!

Why has no one made adorable art to go along with this story?

This was a super cute, adorable read, full of wonderful emotion. :twilightsmile: If I have any criticisms, it's that I feel like it didn't give us enough detail on the titular character and her plight. We get to know Derpy quite well (which is great, because your Derpy is a treat to read), but I didn't feel like I fully got to know Raindrops.

Overall, a great heartwarming fic. I'm annoyed that I overlooked this one for so long. :scootangel:

7054999
Hey, thanks, i'm glad you like it! I still read the comments even after all this time and it still makes me really happy to hear the story was enjoyed <3 I get where you're coming from on Raindrops only getting so much exposure. The story really was more about Derpy than her though in spite of the title. I had started on a followup but i made the mistake i often do and thought i could write a chaptered story.. Had i managed to really do what i wanted with it, Raindrops would have gotten the focus entirely. I had planned to have it be an odd mix of sci-fi (her imagination) and slice of life (showing what was -really- happening when she was imagining), but it didn't work as a chaptered story and i never managed to finish. Maybe one day though, yeah?

Login or register to comment