• Published 6th Jun 2013
  • 8,940 Views, 240 Comments

My Tiny Pony: Friendship In Miniature - The Well Dressed Ninja



What happens when you have teeny tiny ponies living in your bedroom?

  • ...
13
 240
 8,940

Chapter Nine: If I had a nickel for every time I played charades with a tiny pony.

Celestia stared at the monster leaning on the back of the couch. The monster leaning on the back of the couch stared back. In the seeming eternity that it took for the monster to respond, Celestia took the opportunity to study the monster's face. Among the many creatures that Celestia had met over the millennium, this one looked most similar to the Great Apes of Zebrica. Unlike their neighbors, the Zebras, they never seemed that concerned with having an international presence. They just seemed content to live their lives in the dangerous jungles they called home. And in a way she was glad. Like the monster before her, their ears always looked like they were laid back in a constant state of annoyance. It made dealing with them, and this monster, rather stressful. Not that she couldn't focus on the facial expressions. There were several species in Equestria that didn't even have ears, and she could read them just fine. But with the ears tacked on to the side of the head, she just couldn't help but feel like the monster was annoyed by their presence. Which she could understand. A small army showing up and chasing you onto your couch was not exactly a pleasant experience. Another pang of guilt poked at Celestia's Cutie Mark at that thought.

However, it seemed like the monster finally decided on it's response. It started with little twitches with what she assumed was it lips, slowly stretching out and upwards into the facsimile of a grin. A rather mischievous grin that she usually used when she was pranking, but maybe that was just her imagination. It was quickly followed by a response in it's rumbling tongue. Celestia gave a wide smile of her own to the monster, before turning her head slightly to Shining Armor.

"Well, that seems like a good sign," Celestia said with a relieved sigh.

Shining Armor nodded continuing to watch the monster's visage. "Hopefully. Though I think it's safe to say we still don't understand each other."

"All in good time Captain," Celestia responded before returning her attention to the monster.

"We graciously thank you for your cooperation. I hope that we ponies and your kind will become close allies in the name of Harmony. May we someday look back on this as the start of a long and prosperous friendship," Celestia declared with a flourish of her hoof. As part of Equestria's diplomatic doctrine, the Guards quickly followed it with a great shout, "BEST FRIENDS FOREVER!"

However, that didn't seem like the response the monster was looking for. The monster leaned it's head back, eyes widening. That was not good. That wasn't good at all. Quickly going into damage control mode to try and salvage any good will they still had, Celestia started to calm the monster. "I'm sorry if we frightened you. We assure you we mean you no harm," Celestia quickly declared hoping they hadn't frightened it to badly. Of course it was hard to tell, but it certainly looked scared by pony standards.

When it didn't lose the expression, Celestia quickly turned back to Shining Armor. "It seems we have startled it. Have your stallions pull back. We want it feeling comfortable with us here, not frightened."

Shining Armor gave Celestia a hard stare. "Princess, I cannot in good conscious leave you unprotected against such a large, unpredictable monster who's kind we know next to nothing about."

Celestia was quick and to the point with her rebuttal. "Captain, move them back. Now."

Shining Armor stared at Celestia for a second longer, before turning and calling out. "Lieutenant, have your men form up behind me a couple lengths. Be as nonthreatening as you possibly can, but stay sharp."

Orders given, the platoon soon formed up behind Celestia and Shining Armor, holding Parade Rest. Rainbow Dash and Applejack, who had decided to help "stand guard" over the creature, also moved away from the couch, though they took up positions on the sides of Celestia and Shining Armor respectively.

While the monster seemed to have relaxed a bit, it's eyes were still rather wide compared to a few minutes ago. Though, now that she focused a bit more on it, Celestia could see that the two tufts of fur above it's eyes were also raised. She'd have to find out what they meant later. Now she had a giant monster she needed to calm down before it decided to step on them or call more of it's friends.

And as she had learned from over the millennium, the best way to banish fear was to show trust. Shown time and again by her student and her friends.

She stepped forward from the group, and extended her leg in the traditional ritual of the hoof bump. Hopefully this will work, the monster would return it.

-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-<+>-

Well, that was unexpected. I hadn't expected my little joke to garner such a response. The hoof waving, the squeaking, and that little scream at the end. It could only mean one thing. They wanted my surrender. Or pie. Hopefully pie. You ever have pie for breakfast? Friggin genius. Anyways, I had to admit I was a little surprised. You ever have 20+ high pitched voices yelling at you? You get your head out of the immediate blast zone quick. My ears are still ringing from that influx of hyperactive cuteness. Truly a powerful attack, even with their supposed lose of magic. But how do I convey my (fake) surrender to tiny ponies that spoke another language? You got anything brain?

"Yeah, charades."

Genius! Again! Except one problem. How do I convey complex body motions through text on a computer screen?

"You don't need to describe it. Just tell them what you want to motion. They'll just fill in the blanks."

Thrice a genius! I'm on a roll today. But before I could move a muscle. Celestia started squeaking at Shining Armor, who squeaked at the rest of the ponies. Said rest of the ponies quickly form up like little toy soldiers behind the first two, RD and AJ taking flanking positions. Then Celestia raises her front leg out. Huh. Guess she wants pie. Or maybe cake. Or is she actually serious about the banana thing. Oh Jehoshaphat, please tell me she isn't serious about the banana thing. I don't even like bananas!

"You know, maybe she just wants to hoof bump?"

... Brain, did you forget that I'm physically incapable of creating a fist after that horrible masturbation accident a couple years ago?

"Oh. Yeah. Forgot about that one."

I'll just shake instead. Leaning over the couch, I slowly grasp Celestia's hoof and gave it a few shakes. I was not prepared for the burning sensation that followed.

Author's Note:

Here it is! 1000+ words as promised.

Now for some more head-canon. Firstly, you may have noticed that thing about the Cutie Mark. My thoughts on it are this: Humans have two hearts. Our physical one, and our emotional one. We feel emotions in our heart, we keep memories there, it's where our soul is, it is the very center of our beings. Our heart makes us who we are. That when we feel strong emotions, we feel it in our physical one. (Yes I know, there is a scientific explanation behind this etc., etc. But we're talking about magical ponies from another dimension here, so just keep wearing that suspension of disbelief you put on everytime you log in here.) I'd think that would be true, but different for ponies. For them, their cutie marks are the center of who they are. Those images are supposed to say something profound, if a bit abstract about a pony. Everything in their life revolves around it. If you don't have one, you might as well not be alive. Thus, I'd think those physical emotional response would be centered around their Cutie Marks instead of their physical hearts. Or something like that. If you don't like this, please present your argument. As it stands right now, I only need to delete a line of text to fix it. If I build my world on this assumption, it'd be harder to get rid of. Ponies emotional nerves are connected to their plots. Edit: I'll think of something more deep later.

Secondly, I am using equine facial/body cues and combining them with human ones. If you think I should just keep with human ques and use them for all species, leave a comment/argument below. If no one objects, I'll try to do this for all the species we'll be meeting in this fic.

A Special Thanks to AppleJared for pre-reading!

Comments ( 55 )

YES HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!:pinkiehappy:

My argument against feeling emotions in the Cutie Mark:
>implying the CMC can't feel emotions yet, since they don't have Cutie Marks yet.
>implying only ponies who have earned their Cutie Marks have real emotions

And...the second half of the chapter was very confusing.

4552092
Hmmm... Those are some very good points. But, like the heart, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. I guess I didn't explain my idea very well.

Our protagonist might be insane. I'm not sure. My usual plan is to stay up 'til 12 before writing his bits. Once I get past first contact, which is more focused on ponies than the human, I might be able to nail down a more developed character.

4552370 Sonic Rainboom is magic. Tiny ponies teleported into the basement. The main character cannot make a fist because of a masturbation accident, and is thus incapable of hoof bumping. What kind of fic did you think you were in?

4552349 and what about the masturbation incident?

4552382 A mixture of the Noodle Incident trope, a plot device, and insanity born out of lack of sleep.

4552349
Except the physical heart - which we consider the location of the metaphorical heart - can still be perceived all our lives. We feel our pulse, the warmth from our core, etc.

And the problem with that for the Cutie Mark is, until it appears, you have no idea what it is or what it will mean. If the Cutie Mark is the center of a pony's being like that, then until it appears, that pony has no center, no core, no heart. The fact that even magic can't make a cutie mark appear before its time implies it doesn't exist until it is revealed. (Considering the number of fanfics that explore ponies developing with different upbringings resulting in them getting different Cutie Marks as they develop different talents supports that.)

4552415 But then we have the ponies that get cutie marks that go against the grain. While your environment has an effect on you, it's not the only force shaping you. The Cutie Mark is there, ponies have their talents ever before the get their Cutie Mark. When it's appears, it means that the pony has learned something profound about themselves. It can be seen in each of the Main Six's Cutie Mark stories. Their special talents closely tie in with what they represent.

4552474
Then it's a Nature v Nurture argument regarding Cutie Marks. The fact of the matter is, that can't actually be answered canonically, making it a matter of personal opinion.

However, if the Cutie Mark was also considered the center of emotion for ponies, that would make the 'Blank Flank' insult cruel to the point of traumatizing, and I doubt DT and SS could get away with it more than once, assuming it would be tolerated at all.

4552498 So to avoid all this, could I just put: Ponies emotional/sensitive nerves are connected to their plots?

4552511
So you're saying their metaphorical hearts are in their asses?

4552522 *looks around fimfiction.net*

Yes?

4552522 In fact, that would actually be par for the course in this story.

4552529
This one I accept more than your other one.

4552525
Because I asked about ponies, not bronies.

4552533 It's official! Everypony love butts!

burning sensation that follows.... I'm confused why does this have to do with being a sun goddess or matter from another realm or something ?

I found a very minor thing you may want to edit.

Celestia started squeakiing at Shining Armor, who squeaked at the rest of the ponies.

You know...I almsot feel like the DTT needs to show up at some point for any reason, might be amusing...

Well, I'm happy to see an update on this fic. *hums* Probably is my favorite miniature-mlp fics that I've found just yet.
I hope more updates are to come. :pinkiecrazy:

Anywaays. I feel the mix is better than full humanization. It makes for more believability in the divide between the species/culture, and misunderstandings are fun. :twilightsmile: ...Unless you get lynched by miniature horses. :twilightsheepish:

... Brain, did you forget that I'm physically incapable of creating a fist after that horrible masturbation accident a couple years ago?

I'm sorry... What? Just... Seriously the amount of confusion that you just hit me with is... MORE than dazing...

Just HOW? HOW does one FAIL to fan their 'Oh-la-la'? UGGHHHH my brain! :twilightangry2:

4552388 Your writing process sounds hilariously interesting on paper.

4558647 Process implies some kind of plan. All I have is a scenario that my brain wants to play out on paper.

4556397

Could be worse I have a buddy who just had a surgery after an unfortunate incident that I refuse to let him give me the full details of.

Have you though that maybe cutie marks just appear there BECAUSE that's where the soul is centered on a pony, not the other way around?

sooo is it alive?:unsuresweetie: *pokes it with a stick*

4978001 :applejackconfused:*cough-cough* ..........Ow:fluttershysad:

So thats a yes or no :applejackconfused:

4978095 Yes, I will absolutely update this some point in the future. If I don't, I will let everyone know. This is simply a low,low,low,low, priority. Sorry.

4978233 ok :twilightsmile: good to know its not abandoned

Keep going!!

5173718 Sorry, still busy! I will make a blog post when I begin writing the new chapter.

Balls! No more Dx
I'm sad now, but I enjoyed what was written.
Nicely done so far.
I hope to see more soon! :D

6296949 D'x
All the feels are felt.

6297005 I also the feels, even more so, because this was an idea I had long ago, but I never got around to writing it. Now I can't even original.

All grammar mistakes intentional (possibly).

6297071 I have also had that happen to me DX Wanted to write an idea and someone already did it :flutterrage:

6297421 Though, judging from the right on the Also Liked stories, a lot of different people have written something like this.

5321097 When is the next chapter coming out? Also, are the ponies and other species ever going to return home and will the human defeat DTT?

7165839
Hahaha, that would be pretty adorable XD

any chance of this being not on hiatus?:twilightsmile:
would really like to read what would happen next!:twilightsmile:
more please...:fluttercry:

7456174
7165945

Chapter Ten is currently in writing block hell. It's turned into one of those stories where at first you think 'hey this is pretty neat' but turns into 'I wish I mad this a one-shot'.

7461270
dangit!!!!:facehoof:
CURSE YOU writers block!!!!!:flutterrage:
hope you get out of that funk dude!:twilightsmile:
woot!:trollestia:

7461270 ey, I know what that's like. ^w^ writer's blocks suck, but I normally avoid them by either putting 6 random ideas down and rolling dice, or asking a friend.

If you need any help, I'd gladly help you.

Login or register to comment