• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 1,812 Views, 14 Comments

Rainbow and Pinkie: A Grand Day Out - jacob.galvin



Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie spend the day together

  • ...
5
 14
 1,812

Chapter 1

Rainbow sat bolt upright in bed, the clock on the wall said nine forty five, she was late. Oh no, why today of all days? The one time she actually needed to wake up early, and she had slept in. Rainbow scrambled out of bed, caught her hoof in the thick blankets, and crashed to the floor. She pulled them off with an annoyed grunt, and walked quickly to the bathroom. Rainbow examined herself in the mirror, something she seldom did, "you got this Rainbow," she assured her reflection. Today was it, the day she had been looking forward to for a week, the day she would spend with Pinkie Pie.

You could call it a date, though Rainbow never would, that word sounded completely lame. But what else could you call spending the day with your girlfriend? Because that's exactly what Rainbow was going to do today, first breakfast at SugarCube corner, then Rainbow would take Pinkie to her special place in the Everfree Forest, the place which was her most treasured secret. It was a beautiful spring, deep in the heart of the Everfree, seemingly immune to the chaos surrounding it. Once you entered, the sounds of the forest were silenced. You could float in the water for hours, with nothing but your own thoughts.

Rainbow opened her medicine cabinet, not that she had any, and pulled out an object which she was about to use for the first time in her eighteen years of life. She gently ran the brush through her tangled mane, fighting through years of knots. It was made easier by the fact that she had washed her mane the previous night, finally making use of the stockpile of beauty product that Rarity had given her. Rainbow examined herself in the mirror, "I look like such a dork," she muttered. But it wasn't about what she wanted, not today. She briefly considered putting on makeup, but that was a line she wouldn't cross for anypony, under any circumstances.

Rainbow headed downstairs, and stepped outside into the morning sun. Beautiful day for flying, she thought, but when it came down to flying or Pinkie, Rainbow would give up her wings in a second. She walked to the edge of her cloud, and leaped off, allowing herself to free fall for a moment, before opening her wings and gliding softly to the ground. "Starting now, no flying," she promised herself, "for today at least." Rainbow wanted this day to be perfect for Pinkie more than herself, so there would be no bragging, showing off, or flying, they would be completely equal. Besides, it had been too long since Rainbow actually went for a walk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainbow took a deep breath, "just play it cool, it's only Pinkie pie. She's won't care If I say something stupid." Rainbow was about to knock before she remembered it was a bakery, they were open to the public. Slightly embarrassed, she pushed the door open and walked in. The place smelled pleasantly of cherries, Pinkie must have been making cherry pie. "Pinkie, it's me, she called "sorry I'm late, i just..." Rainbow was tackled to the ground.She looked up to see a pink pony lying on top of her, smiling warmly.

"Hi Rainbow." Pinkie greeted excitedly.

"Hi Pinkie, she replied, her voice cracking. She kissed her pink crush gently on the lips, she definitely tasted like cherry pie."Sorry I'm late, I kinda slept in."

"Oh that's alright, sometimes I'm late too, like this one time..."

Rainbow lay on the floor, enjoying every word of Pinkies rambling. It would have driven most ponies crazy, but Rainbow liked nothing more than to here that cheerful voice, even if it wasn't saying anything important.

"And that was how I learned to make blueberry muffins," pinkie finished proudly. "Do you wanna get off the floor?"

Rainbow laughed, "No, I'm happy right here."

"Don't be silly Rainbow, you can't eat pie on the floor." Pinkie stood up and pulled Rainbow to a sitting position. "I made pie," she said excitedly, "do you want some?"

"Let me guess, cherry?"

"How'd you know?" Pike asked surprised. Suddenly a look of understanding appeared on her face, this time it was her who kissed Rainbow. "How'd I taste that time?" she asked curiously.

Rainbow realized that Pinkie wasn't trying to be seductive, she was genuinely asking. "Oh uh, still like cherry," she answered. It occurred to Rainbow that Pinkie had never been in any kind of relationship before, with a mare or a stallion. She probably had no idea about what to do, about kissing or otherwise. But it didn't matter, she had feelings for Rainbow Dash, even if she couldn't express them properly. Rainbow stood up, "I'd love some pie, she said.

"Pinkie's eyes lit up, I'll be back in one second," she said quickly, before rushing into the kitchen.

Rainbow took the opportunity to get off the floor, and sat down at her favorite table. It was in the corner, positioned just right to catch the morning sun. She leaned back against the wall, taking in the smell aroma, which had become so familiar in the last few weeks.

Pinkie emerged a moment later, carrying a tray with slices of pie. She placed it down on the table, "What'd you think?" she asked eagerly.

"It looks delicious," Rainbow answered. Seriously, pie for breakfast, she though to herself. Was that a common thing for Pinkie? She observed the pink mare quickly devour a slice, like it was nothing. Rainbow picked up a piece and bit into it, an overwhelming sweetness filled her mouth. " Uh Pinkie, could I have something to drink," she gasped.

"Sure, just a sec, Pinkie got up and raced back to the kitchen. She returned immediately with a bottle of soda.

Rainbow drank it eagerly, desperate to rid her mouth of the overwhelming sweetness. "H...how much sugar did you put in that pie?"

"A lot," Pinkie answered cheerfully. "Can we kiss again?"

Rainbow almost spat her drink out, she didn't know what to say. The question was so out of nowhere, yet refreshingly honest. Pinkie wanted something, so she asked for it, did she really have no idea about what was socially acceptable? It seemed ironic that the friendliest, most social pony in town, had no idea how to actually... No, never mind, Rainbow decided, Pinkie had a unique way of being social. She put her soda down, looked Pinkie in the eyes " of course we can, but this time, you have to kiss me."

Pinkie giggled, and pressed her lips awkwardly against Rainbow's.

Rainbow almost laughed, it really was Pinkie's first time. She was surprised to feel tongue enter her mouth, not that she was complaining. Pinkie was still giggling like mad, even with her tongue preoccupied. Rainbow felt a hoof gently rubbing her flank, it took all of her willpower to finally pull away, "Not yet," she said softly.

Pinkie looked disappointed, "how bout later then?"

A smile crossed Rainbow's face, "definitely later, but first I'm gonna show you something really cool." It's way out in the Everfree forest, nopony else even knows about it."

Pinkie just stared at her, as if she didn't understand. "Something seems different," she finally said.

"Whatdya mean different," Rainbow asked nervously. Had she done something wrong?

"Pinkies eyes lit up, "it's your mane," she cried, "your mane looks different."

Rainbow blushed, "yeah I brushed it, does it uh, look nice?"

She ran a hoof through Rainbows mane, returning it to its natural messiness. "That's better," she declared "you looked kinda dorky with neat hair."

She smiled warmly, "thanks Pinkie, you know me better than I do."

Comments ( 14 )

I expected them to go to the moon. :trollestia:

You might want to do some proofreading, and break up some of the longer paragraphs.

1473776 I'm glad you got the reference. However they won't be going to the moon, I just liked the title.

looking forward to more.
/me twiddles hooves
Is there more yet?

Minor point about Dash's mane: Unless it's been years since the gala, Rarity's done her mane up at least once. Not even a minor deal, but I'm a bit OC wrt Dash

Aww, thats cute :pinkiehappy:

How come when peps make a really good or interesting fic we are gonna have to w8 for the rest of the story :pinkiesad2:

1475394 To be honest, I think Rainbow not caring about her appearance at all is just kind of OOC. Seems more like AJ's territory to me. I mean, Rainbow's complaints about Rarity's outfits are never that that it's girly frou frou nonsense or whatever. She simply fears they're not cool enough for her or that they will interfere with her flying. And in May the Best Pet Win she dedicates an entire segment of the competition to dressing up and seeing whether or not her pet can look as good as her. In the story it is stated that she would never put on make up - but she already has done exactly that in the actual show.

Still, that's a rather minor issue. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

1478788
Meh. I can buy her never having put makeup on. I always figured Rarity did it.
From my PoV, Dash doesn't usually care about her appearance, she's apathetic. Whereas AJ is militantly against frou-frou-ness. There are some things that can be taken as factually wrong, I figured it was just pre-season 2.

So... Dash rather cripple herself of her wings and her greatest dreams than put make-up on?
Conclusion: Dash has a mental problem...

Insult is best pony! Really liked this but I noticed this.

"Pinkie's eyes lit up, I'll be back in one second,"
It should be like this( Pinkie's eyes lit up, "I'll be back in one second,"
thought you should know.

Hello mate, it has been a while since I've seen an update to this story, which makes me sad. So I just wanted to know if all is well? And do you've any future plans for continuing it? :) Also, I hope you had a nice December and came back out on the other side in one piece <3

Author's been gone for 5 years, this could use a cancelled tag.

Login or register to comment