• Published 8th May 2022
  • 3,683 Views, 45 Comments

I Wasn’t There to Catch You - Supernova08



Following Luna’s death Celestia is left heartbroken. What else can she do?

  • ...
8
 45
 3,683

Epilogue

The elements of harmony lay shattered, scattered along with their bearers on the floor. The world outside looked like a scene from a horror movie, houses burnt to crisps, the smell of death and destruction wafted through the air, and the cries of the few survivors holding on to their passed loved ones were slowly decreasing as they gave up their grasp on life.

Above it all, a fiery maned alicorn sat upon her golden throne, her amused gaze fixed on a single lavender unicorn attempting to get to her hooves.

“Well, well, well. I didn’t think you had it in you to survive so long, Twilight Sparkle,” Daybreaker sneered. Twilight glared. Blood trickled down her face from her sustained injuries; her horn was broken, the top part of it ripped off, leaving magic to spill out. “Isn’t it time to join your friends? Your family? What is left for you now that they’re all gone?” Daybreaker laughed maliciously. “It’s a shame really, your friends really did put up a fight. Not like I’ll miss them though, it was quite interesting watching them fall one by one.” Twilight flared her nostrils and pinned her ears to the back of her head.

“Why,” she said.

“Hmm?” Daybreaker grinned and lifted an eyebrow. “What was that?”

“WHY?” Twilight shouted, and tears formed in the corners of her eyes. “I trusted you, Princess Celestia! How could you do this to us? To me!?” Sweat dripped off Twilight’s brow due to the sweltering heat. The sun, which was now brought closer to the planet, produced wave after wave of burning temperatures.

Daybreaker snorted. “Why not? I have all the powers of the sun! Who is telling me not to use them?” Daybreaker’s tone became serious as she turned to face Twilight. “Please remember that my name is Daybreaker, little pony. Your princess and I are not one and the same. Celestia is long gone.” Twilight trembled.

“Cadence, Shining Armor, my friends, and everypony else I knew is gone. And now you are telling me that Princess Celestia is gone as well!?” Daybreaker sported a wicked grin. Tears fell to the floor as Twilight remembered it all. The pained look on Shining’s face as he told her of Cadence’s death, the heartbreaking devastation of Canterlot, the image of her parents’ bodies crushed beneath their burning house, the sound of bones breaking as her friends were thrown across the room. Her normally lavender face turned a few shades redder. “THEY’RE ALL GONE BECAUSE OF YOU!” Twilight stomped her hoof. Breaking into a sprint as she charged toward the tyrant. Daybreaker scoffed.

“You're kidding. You’re kidding right?” Daybreaker readied a spell, charging her long horn with red magic. With a loud crack of thunderous power, Daybreaker let loose, shooting a red hot beam of magic towards Twilight.

“NO!” A voice not her own came from Daybreaker’s voice as her eyes widened. Her head suddenly snapped back, redirecting the beam towards the ceiling and destroying it in the process. Twilight planted her hooves, using the distraction to fire a burst of pure, raw magic from her broken horn. Daybreaker screamed.

“AAAAH!” Thrown backward and crashing into the throne, she struggled to open her eyes. The small glimpses of them Twilight could see were of the frightening gold irises struggling not to turn magenta. Twilight breathed heavily as the rush of adrenaline slowly receded from her system.

“Princess Celestia!? Is that you?” She yelled. Twilight rushed towards the side of the alicorn, careful not to get too close to the fiery mane. “Is it, is it really you?” Celestia’s eyes shot open, revealing they had changed back to her normal color. "Princess!"

Celestia cried frantically, “Please! I can’t keep control for much longer!” She scrambled to sit up. “Run, Twilight! You’ll never make it out if you don’t leave now! You can be in charge of Equestria, I know you’ll do great, just GET OUT OF HERE, TWILIGHT!” The mare in question shook her head. A determined look on her face as tears streamed down her face.

“No! I can’t leave you, Princess! You’re the only pony I have left, I know you can fight whatever it is that’s controlling you!” Twilight held on to one of Celestia’s hooves. Tears, mirroring Twilight’s own, fell from Celestia’s eyes.

A somber look came to Celestia’s gentle expression. “I wish that were true.” Twilight watched in confusion as Celestia’s horn lit up. “Goodbye, Twilight.”

The lavender unicorn’s eyes widened as she was propelled out of the castle, crashing through doors and walls. However, despite the force, there was no pain. A golden shield protected Twilight, softening the blows she received from incoming obstacles. Twilight watched in horror as the same magic protecting her blasted the ceiling of the castle, crumbling and caving it in. All of it no doubt falling and crushing her beloved mentor and friend.

“PRINCESS!” Twilight cried out. She fought back with her own magic, trying to stop the force from moving her farther away. It was futile, no matter how hard she pulled or how much she struggled, Celestia’s magic held tighter. Twilight eventually gave up, letting the magic bring her out of the castle, setting her down in front of the gates. By then the whole castle had been reduced to rubble.

Twilight sat on the ground, sobs leaving her as a small puddle of salty tears formed beneath her hooves. Picking herself up she recalled Celestia’s words. I know you’ll do great. Celestia believed in her. Everypony believed in her. She would rebuild the nation with her own bare hooves. “I’ll make you proud, everypony.”

Determined, she set off towards the survivor camps.


Celestia opened her eyes and was greeted by an astral plane. A blinding white light glowed far away, beckoning for her to go to it. Lying on her back, she wallowed in her despair. There was a pang in her chest as she relived the moments she now regretted and despised with her very being. She closed her eyes, letting the tears dampen her once pristine coat. In the distance, she could hear soft hoofsteps coming closer to her. She didn’t care; she deserved the deepest pits of Tartarus anyways. Might as well get it over with.

Opening her eyes again, a pair of turquoise irises stared back with a melancholy look. Celestia let out a gasp.

“Sister.”

Celestia wailed. “Luna, I’m so sorry!” She jumped up to wrap her sister in her wings. Two smaller hooves hugged her back.

“Shh, it’s okay, Celestia. It wasn’t your fault.” Celestia felt hot tears against her chest. “I’m sorry too. I didn’t realize how much you cared for me. Forgive me for being so blind, sister.”

“I can never be forgiven for what I’ve done, Luna. Nothing will make it better.” Celestia hung her head in shame.

“Please, sister, you were not yourself. I should have stayed. I realize that now. If I hadn’t gone through with it, then the creature would not have been able to take advantage of you.”

“No, it’s all my fault, Luna. I didn’t notice how much you were struggling before it was too late. I-I should’ve been there for you, but I wasn’t.” Celestia sniffled. “I have caused everypony so much pain, there is no forgiveness I can accept for all the families I have left heartbroken and alone without their loved ones. I’m a monster.” Celestia felt a hoof against her cheek. She opened her eyes to look at Luna’s.

“Perhaps. Perhaps everypony still living will never forgive you. But you feel remorse do you not?” Celestia nodded. “It shows you are no monster, Celestia. No more than me. We are simply two mares who were misguided by the same creature, and who now have made enough mistakes to fill an encyclopedia.” Luna pulled away from the hug. Celestia instantly missed the warmth she had longed for. “Fortunately I know of one mare who forgives you,” Luna said.

“What? Who?”

“Cadence.”

“No! Really? After what I did to poison her?” Celestia’s eyes welled up with more tears.

“Yes. You were wise to ascend her to alicornhood. She is as knowledgeable and as kind as a princess should be. She told me that she would love you no matter what because you are family to her.” Luna smiled. Celestia sobbed louder.

“I don’t deserve her forgiveness, let alone her love,” Celestia said.

“In her eyes you do.” Luna held out a hoof, her astral mane flowed in an unseen wind. “Tia, come with me, everypony is waiting for you.” She pointed towards the light. “Let us simply be sisters again, we stick together forever right?”

Celestia stared at Luna with red eyes, then smiled. “Of course, we were meant to stay together, little sister.” Together both alicorns walked towards their final destination. Holding each other close, they prepared to see their friends and family once more.

“I missed you so much, big sister. I'll never leave your side again."

Author's Note:

I don’t think this epilogue was needed, but I got bored and wrote it anyway.

I enjoyed writing this story.

Comments ( 11 )

This nightmare thing is really really good at its job

All I can say is wtf (in a good surprised kind of way)

Also somehow it says the chapter was released on the 8th but it's still the 7th for me lol

Comment posted by sunr4y deleted Jun 8th, 2022

11265690
A gift from the future

Comment posted by sunr4y deleted Jun 13th, 2022

Cadence needs a big hug from Luna.

Comment posted by sunr4y deleted Jun 13th, 2022

That was saddening

My heart hurts now :(

In this ending,every choices are worst.
Three princess haven't enough power to protect their pony,everything was changed.
Isn't a happy ending,but it also is a good story.
Thank you sir,have a good day:ajsleepy:

Is Twilight even an Allicorn? Or at least at the moment? With the 3 remaining princesses gone does there power go to Twilight now? Wouldn't be to surprising since they gave Twilight there powers in that 1 episode with Twilight fighting Tyrek, although not entirely sure, I only watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 and haven't watched any others after that.

Login or register to comment