• Published 8th Feb 2021
  • 5,215 Views, 50 Comments

Return of Amore - AzuraKeres



Sombra and Radiant finally assembled the missing pieces of Princess Amore to bring her back to her homeland. But what they find is a soul stripped of her memories. What could Amore hope in this world without knowing who she is?

  • ...
3
 50
 5,215

04: The Shadow

Amore could not see through the mist around her. Not only was it too dense to make out her own form, but the air was thick to breathe in.

Amore had traversed through the unknown whiteness that felt like a catacomb, for hours. She struggled to keep herself awake; afraid she might forget the paths she has taken. However, her body gradually failed her, often picking herself up from the stone floor.

If Amore doesn’t find a way out soon, she may find herself a permanent resident of this place.

The thought of death disturbed Amore. It was too soon when she had so much to live for. Amore wanted to enjoy a long life with her family. To watch her adventurous granddaughter, grow into a fine mare. To unravel the love story between her daughter, Cadance, and Shining Armor. To be acknowledged as Radiant’s best mare when she finally ties the knot with Sombra.

Amore knew it in her heart Sombra was never going to make the first move.

Amore used her hope as timber to kindle her heart aflame. She refused to drown in despair when she loved ones who waited years for her return. She refused to deprive herself further of their life.

Amore used the stone on the walls to guide her. She would often find a large gap in between that led to a new path to venture in. Hopefully, she may happen upon the exit.

Amore held concerned she was leading herself deeper within the catacomb. This place felt like an endless maze. She had nothing on her person to keep track of her steps, especially with this thick mist clouding her vision.

“None of that,” Amore told herself. “I’m going to get out of this place."

Though she desired to be optimistic, Amore could not think of a fair resolution to save herself. Randomly walking through the catacomb was not particularly ideal, but she held no alternative. Her magic was strangely absent, and no pony has yet to respond to her calls. The latter made sense. A bleary passage like this would deter any traveler from entering. Which begged the question:

How did she end up here in the first place?

Amore found no incentive that would draw her to this place. Who in their right mind would risk themselves getting lost in this dreadful place? Well, Amore guessed she would have to add herself to that list.

However, Amore had to admit there was a sort of familiarity with this place. Not the mist, but the stoned walls she used as guidance. Its smooth surface was stained with a strange powder that trembled through her coat. Amore imagined she would find it abhorrent, but for some unknown reason, it felt reassuring. As if she knew the powder would protect her.

But from what?

“Amore,” a voice echoed through the path. Amore halted at the sound, unsure whether to be anxious or relieved. “Where have you gone? Please, come back to me.”

Amore took a step back. The voice ricocheted through the catacomb, echoing all around her. She had no way to tell where it originated from.

If the two continued to traverse the catacomb, however, eventually they may come face to face. She would have to leave it to the whims of lady luck whether that would be a good thing.

Not a very uplifting thing to hold onto.

“Amore,” the voice beckoned for her again. Though this time it felt warm to Amore’s ear. It was strange to describe, but Amore found it similar to the icky powder stained on the walls. “Please, come back to me. I need you.”

Amore took a step forward. The voice miraculously became clearer to her. She could trace its direction despite its random bounce through the catacomb. Amore wanted to question how it was possible, but a new resolve took the forefront of her mind.

Amore believed she may know this voice. The soft bass in its call elated Amore’s, confused heart. However, she couldn’t understand why. She couldn’t explain anything about this predicament. But Amore knew she needed to find this pony behind this voice.

As the voice continued to call for her, Amore persisted through the catacomb to close the distance. At first, she was slow and cautious in her steps; but gradually, her pace doubled and then tripled. And then she abandoned the stone walls and galloped forth. How she eluded her face from the stone walls she could not explain, but she didn’t care as long as she could find the bearer of that voice.

She discovered it resounding from a dark hazy door her eyes could barely make out. She pressed her hoof upon the door. It was heavy and resounded an eerie creak that allowed Amore to question her action one last time.

What if this is a trap? Amore thought. Her mind weighed between her anxiety and anticipation. She took a breath and pressed forward. Then I will face it head-on.

Amore discovered a place she could only presume to be a chamber. A thick cyan hue shimmered through the mist. The shimmers rounded the walls, revealing the circular frame of the chamber.

She approached the light and rubbed her hoof across it. The texture was all Amore needed to know to unravel the material. It’s crystal. One that instills her with harmony she would find only at the Crystal Palace.

What part of the palace was this place? Amore wouldn’t think the others would permit a hazardous place like this to exist among them. She presumed this section was a restriction. And based on the setting, Amore deduced this place existed underneath the palace.

When she finished her deduction, a red light suddenly beamed at the edge of her sight. It was a small singular light she did not recall seeing the first time she entered.

Her curiosity got the better of her.

Amore approached the red light that lay on the opposite end from the door. The light revealed the edges of a gem it resided in. This was the only thing she could see so clearly, a ruby.

Amore peered within its interior. She did not know what she hoped to find, but she was fascinated regardless. For what reason would there be a single ruby here in this foggy catacomb surrounded by crystals?

From its crystalline facets, Amore could find a reflection of herself. That surprised her. Not only could it reveal itself within the mist, but it could also reveal everything around her.

Amore could piece out the chamber clearly through this reflection. There appeared to be tapestries on the ceiling that showed encroaching darkness riddled with ghostly white eyes. A crystal-shaped heart beamed from the center, appearing to strike fear into the dark creatures.

“What is that?” Amore wondered, placing a hoof on her chest. “Why do I feel malice in my heart?” Amore’s skin quivered and her head grew light. She couldn’t tell if it was either from the mist she’s been breathing in or this newfound rage welling up within her.

She took a deep breath, desperate to calm herself. The last thing she wanted was to stress herself even more. There was so little she remembered about her world and the role she played in it. She doesn’t need to figure this out when she has her family and friends to fill in the gaps for her.

After she escaped this place that is.

Amore concluded her best course was to take the ruby with her. Seeing that it can reveal her surroundings, may increase her odds of escape.

Amore dug her hoof into a crevice surrounding the ruby and applied pressure. With a bit of force, Amore popped out the ruby and held it on her hoof.

It’s a bit smaller than she imagined. It barely covered a quarter of her hoof.

She looked through the reflection again and was relieved the ruby could still show her through the mist. Fresh new timber of hope fueled her confidence.

But shouldn’t there also be something else in this place? She could have sworn she heard a voice within this chamber.

And just as the thought crossed her, Amore found a silhouette standing before her.

Amore jumped back, but it was a fruitless effort. The silhouette came upon her and filled her vision with darkness. It happened so fast that she had no time to ponder.

“Amore,” the voice said. “You’ve found me.”


Amore stirred her eyes open upon the light. Its beam was warm and potent upon her face, prompting Amore to defend her distressed eyes.

A groan escaped her as her body continued to stir in the bed. The crackling within her bones resounded loudly in her ears. An unknown part of her despised the lethargy in her body. Something within her commanded her to get up.

What are you doing lazing about on a bright day!? It questioned Amore. Get up right this moment! You have ponies who are in need of loving!

Amore could only groan in response. She questioned where this mysterious voice came from with its optimistic authority. Amore wondered if it was a remnant of her old self spurring into her conscience. If possible, she hoped it would give her at least five more minutes before she had to combat the greatest foe all creatures had to face, getting out of bed.

“Thou have finally awakened,” Amore heard a voice. She adjusted her eyes a noted a blue mare standing at her bedside. The mare’s mane swam in the air, an endless wave dazzling with sparkles like flickering stars.

“Oh my!” Amore shrieked, jumping out of her bed. Her movement was sudden despite her bones lacking enthusiasm. She failed to coordinate her hoof on the bed and inevitably fell unceremoniously to the ground. Amore could not fathom anything more embarrassing than to have her flank hung in the air before the Princess of the Night.

Amore pulled the rest of her body to the floor and tried to catch her wits. She coughed into her hoof and tried to greet Luna. “M-my apologies,” Amore stuttered. “I didn’t know you were here.” Amore bowed before Luna, trying her best to exude of prestigious aura. “Welcome to my humble abode, Princess Luna. It is an honor to stand in your presence.”

If her memory served her correctly, Luna happened to be a strict Princess, devoted to law and customs while her contrary was open to adjustments. Amore prepared herself for a lecture from Luna, who she figured to be offended by Amore’s scandalous presentation.

However, Princess Luna pressed her hoof under Amore’s chin and lift the embarrassed princess to her gaze. Amore was immediately spellbound by the cyan eyes of the Night Princess. Her sparkling bang dressed Luna’s face in a magical light that gave Amore the impression she was looking upon a goddess. Even when her eyes were strangely melancholic.

“Amore,” Luna spoke in a softer tone, something Amore rarely recalls about her. “Please do not address us in such a way. Our connection extends beyond our politics.”

“It does?” Amore excitedly questioned before correcting herself in a regular tone. “It does? My memories are spotted with a lot of blanks. The others have shared that I am suffering under—"

“Amnesia,” Luna finished and took a step back from a rising Amore. “Yes, We have been informed about your condition. And we would be much obliged to fill in those gaps for you. In fact, my sister and we hoped to start your recovery over a cup of tea.”

“Teatime with the Royal Sister!” Amore gasped; her eyes widened. “I would be blasphemous to deny myself such a gift.”

Luna blinked at Amore and then smiled. “We must say, we have not seen this expressive from you in years. We wonder if your amnesia has led, thou to be more honest with your feelings.”

“Am I now?” Amore asked, confused. “I can’t imagine a Princess representing love would hide her feelings.”

“The effect of the years of ruling perhaps,” Luna guessed. “Your time of rule was riddled with enormous difficulties your predecessors had never experienced. But you held strong and carved a fruitful future for your ponies as the Princess, we know you would be.”

“Oh,” Amore said, rubbing the back of her head. “Thank you. I wish I could remember these moments you were talking about. It would do me wonders to instill my daughter with wisdom as the former Princess…I am a former Princess, correct?”

“Ponies will always remember you as their Princess,” Luna chuckled and surprised Amore with a hug. The wispy mane brushed softly upon Amore, prompting a strange urge for her to nibble on the mane. “And we are all joyous to have you back.”

“This is like a dream come true,” Amore confessed, reciprocating Luna’s hug. “I think I’ve always yearned for both of your acknowledgment.”

“That dream has long been fulfilled. Now, it is time you fulfill our dream with you.”


“Amore, you simply must try this,” Celestia cheered, prodding a cup of tea onto Amore. The cup gingerly passed to Amore’s magic; however, she would be lying if said she didn’t have difficulty circumventing through Celestia’s magic. There was so much vigor in its light that Amore’s nearly dissipated. “I had it brewed in your melon flavor. You used to gush so much over it.”

“Melon flavor?” Amore repeated. Despite having the tea in her magic, she wouldn't bat an eye from the exhilarated Sun Princess. The regal alicorn swooned over Amore as if she was her idolized celebrity. In Amore’s mind, the scenario should have been the reverse.

The earthy aroma of the warm tea drew Amore’s lips. She calmly took a sip and was initially perplexed by the bitter taste that ran smoothly in her. It held a grassy flavor she surprisingly found pleasant. “Oh my,” Amore gasped. “This is wonderful.”

“I knew you would love it,” Celestia proudly stated. “You’ve always had a deep fascination for the tropical life. Sometimes you would lose yourself over the thought of the beach and warm winds.”

“Did I now? Well then, I should most definitely arrange a time to experience this tropical life.”

“We doubt it would trigger an old memory, however,” Luna interjected, placing a plate with a whole cake atop a table they shared. “Amore never had the opportunity to experience the tropical life.”

“Then that is even more reason to go, yes?” Amore asked.

“All in good time,” Luna assured. “Now try this.” Luna whisked a knife to cut a slice of the cake to place on a smaller plate. She then floated the plate before Amore to grab with a hoof. “We had baked a banana nut cake. It is a recipe we crafted for dear sister’s birthday.”

“You really want to share this with me?” Amore asked, astonished. In fact, her astonishment has been constant since she has woke this morning. To be catered to by her idols is the greatest wish for a pony.

“Do not be shy,” Luna chuckled. “We assure you that it is wonderful.”

Amore adhered to Luna’s wish and took a bite of the banana nut cake. Its soft texture moved the cadence of her taste buds. “You were right, this is wonderful,” Amore commented. “I didn’t know you were an exceptional baker.”

“We were not,” Luna revealed. “This happens to be one of many hobbies we have adopted since our retirement. My dear sister used to depend on our servants to brew tea but has now learned to do so herself.”

“And it has deepened my appreciation for their hard work,” Celestia added. “I always knew it required patience and precision, but nothing proved that more than to master it myself.”

“It’s still hard to believe that you two have retired,” Amore said. “To be honest, I didn’t think that was ever a possibility. This Twilight Sparkle you spoke of must have proven a great feat for the bestowal of the crown.”

“She certainly has,” Celestia proudly confirmed. “But it’s you I’d like to talk more about. Tell me, how much do you remember about us?”

“Well,” Amore started, placing her tea and plate of banana nut cake on the table. “I remember viewing the two of you as an idol to aspire to. There was a time when I was ecstatic about your arrival but was struck with an illness that left me bedridden. My father tried to sway me from leaving the bed, but I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to meet you two. But in your generosity, you visited my bedroom to entertain my sullen self.”

“We still remember the first time I saw you,” Luna shared. “Thine father was practically skipping with joy, showing you off to the world like you were the most precious gem in the world. And a brilliant one you turned out to be.”

“I don’t know about that,” Amore modestly responded. “I couldn’t have been that different from my predecessors. My daughter and granddaughter are alicorns, after all. Now those two are true brilliance.”

“Don’t discredit yourself,” Celestia urged. “You were among the best Crystal Princess I had met. Countless times you provided support to Equestria when chaos struck our lands. You were essential to our centuries of peace with Yakyakistan. And you managed all of this while remaining a mother for not just Cadance, but to all your subjects of the Crystal Empire.”

“Everyone here views me as their mother?” Amore questioned, alarmed. “This is terrible. There must be countless birthdays I have missed since my return.”

“Your subjects are aware of your condition,” Luna said. “What they want now is to relax as your memories come back to you. Besides, the greatest present you could have given was your return.”

“That’s nice of you to say,” Amore said. “I just wished I had the memories to prove it.”

“They will come back in due time,” Celestia assured. “I am certain the love of your friends and family will restore all that was lost.’

“Speaking of which,” Luna interjected. “When we found you in bed this morning, you appeared to be having a nightmare. A loss of memory is tied to your psyche; therefore, your dreams could hint at a clue for us. We tried to assist you from your nightmare, but something strange deterred my presence. Perhaps if you allow us to look into your conscience, we may unravel a swift remedy to your predica—”

“That won’t be necessary,” Amore snapped. Her response surprised her, noting the urgency in her tone. The reflex didn’t feel like her own, almost as if an unknown force impelled the response out of her.

“Are thou certain?” Luna asked. “Thou may garner thine memories soon if thou allow us.”

“Let’s not press her on this matter,” Celestia advised. “We should take solace in the fact that she is here with us. The world has shown us a fortune by finally bringing back everyone dear to us.”

“Fair enough,” Luna complied, taking a sip of her cup of tea. “Then what shall we do now? We happened to bring a set of board games we hoped to play with Flurry.”

“Oh yes,” Celestia agreed, clapping her hooves. “Let’s play a game of Life.”

“What is your fascination with this game?” Luna sighed. “It’s always the first game you wish to play.”


After rowdy rounds of board games with the Royal Sisters, Amore excused herself when she learned her granddaughter was alone in her bedroom. Apparently, her sweet little Flurry had tuckered herself out last night when greeted by Celestia and Luna.

Her granddaughter attempted to hog their attention and to even went so far as to lock them for herself. Shining had shared that Flurry did this a lot when he and Cadance would pick Amore up from Twilight’s castle.

Amore recalls stories of princesses being the captive damsel of a dragon but never had she heard a princess playing as the dragon. If Amore hoped to experience the tropical life, the safer course of action would be to bring Flurry with her.

Amore observed Flurry sound asleep in her bed. Her body sprawled about and legs twitching like a pup stuck in a dream. It was utterly adorable.

“Such a cute little gem,” Amore quietly cooed. Never had she felt a desire to grab hold of something so much in her life. However, Amore wondered about the truth in that. After all, there were still memories of Cadance absent from her. She wondered if she held the exact feeling, she does now Flurry.

Amore…

Amore’s ears twitched at the sound. However, she refused to turn her gaze from Flurry.

This voice has beckoned to her countless times, and she grew tired of its call. It was like a constant echo that chased her throughout the castle.

Amore, come this way.

Amore sighed and brushed Flurry’s cheek. She couldn’t understand why this voice continued to vex her. Was it real or was it all in her head?

Regardless, Amore decided to end it here and now.

Amore left her granddaughter’s bedroom and followed the sound of the voice. She came across numerous Crystal guards who honored her with a bow and relieving expressions. Amore rewarded each of them with a hug, noting their shiver.

How long could I have possibly been gone for? Amore wondered.

Amore eventually came across a crystal wall at a dead-end of a hallway. She noted the lack of shimmer in the crystal, almost as if the light beaming toward it went passed it.

Amore pressed her hoof onto the wall. To her shock, her hoof phased through it as if she was a ghost. “It’s an illusion?” Amore discovered.

Amore, you’re nearly there.

“…what am I doing here?” Amore said. She knew wanted to go through the wall, but was that truly the best thing for her? She should probably inform others about her discovery. What if she ended up getting lost or worse, trapped beyond these walls? But what if this was her answer to her memories? Normal ponies don’t just have voices talking to them. Amore figured there had to be a reason for it to exist, and her answer may lie behind this illusive wall.

“…”

Without another thought, Amore proceeded through the wall.

Comments ( 6 )

Delighted to see a new chapter in the story! I'm excited to see what lies beyond the wall and what is luring Amore! I suspect Umbrum are responsible, but we'll see in the future!

It was worth the wait.

11196821
I apologize for the long wait. Had some personal issues with myself had to work out. Nothing serious however. It was just a long overdue reflection I needed in my life.

11197346
As Jmunoz13 said, it was definitely worth the wait! Life always comes first, and I hope everything is working out for you! Take all the time you need!

Luiza #5 · Jul 29th, 2022 · · 1 ·

Continue the story please

Will you going to continue this?

Login or register to comment