• Published 18th Jun 2020
  • 5,669 Views, 738 Comments

Unending Love - Azure Notion



After trials and heartache, Firefly, undercover changeling love collector and wife, received a wonderful and joyous gift. But what will happen when the inevitable fallout of the failed Canterlot invasion reaches her home?

  • ...
9
 738
 5,669

Act II ~ Chapter 18

Roast’s world fell out from under him.

He felt his body slosh down with some fluid into a big bowl. As he settled into the liquid, he glanced up, and there, on the ceiling was a blurry, bug-like body. A smile crossed his face at the sight of his beautiful wife. He breathed deep of the thick fluid and felt content to sleepily watch her work. She seemed to be tending to a loose, deflated sack.

Though, maybe it was him who was upside down? Then again, he had seen his wife’s friend walk along the very same ceiling. A moment later, he shrugged and realized it didn’t matter. Upside down, right side up, his wife was still his wife.

And she was all that mattered.

A minute or an hour later and the sack fell. It half splashed into the liquid and her eyes followed. Elation filled him as her gaze crossed his. He offered a wave and, the adorable mare that she was, she gave a hesitant wave back. A chuckle came unbidden. It was a true rarity to see her acting so timid.

With rapt attention, he watched her flip around and gently flutter down. He wiggled to get on his hooves and say hello, but as he surfaced, he felt a hoof shove him back down. His brows furrowed. She didn’t want to see him? Then he smiled again as he remembered. His wife must have had a good reason.

She always did.

So he settled back down, happy knowing he’d get to see her when she decided. The sack partly on him folded over and joined him fully in the vat. His green, fluid-filled container sloshed about as he felt it tug him along. A contented sigh left him at the sight of happy, sleeping ponies floating in happy cocoons.

His face scrunched up. That word didn’t seem very happy. Something about it felt off. He didn’t like that feeling. Instead, he filled his mind with thoughts of his pretty wife. Firefly would always be there to take the bad words away.

Soon, his little mobile tub came to a stop and began tilting to the side. Barely a moment later, he and the sack splashed down into a little basin. Slowly, the green liquid drained away. He exhaled and felt fluid dribbling out his nose and down his face. His next inhale burbled deep in his chest and his eyes grew wide in panic.

He slipped as he tried to stand, coughs wracking his body. A green glow enveloped him and he felt himself be set upright and his neck straightened. More fluid dribbled from his nose and mouth.

Even as breath-stealing coughs filled his chest, joy overflowed from his heart at the sight of his black, chitin-covered wife coming into view. He took a step forward, but paused at her raised hoof.

“No, no. Stay there, Roast,” her sweet voice said. “We need to get you clean first.”

He merely nodded and smiled. She knew best, after all. A moment later, a rush of lukewarm water ran over his body. A question rose in his mind, a silly one. But he instantly knew there was no reason to ask, even as the water moved away and shampoo lathered his body. She’d chosen the milder temperature for a reason and asking for anything hot was simply absurd.

“There we go. You’re doing a wonderful job. Almost done,” those soft, gentle, words came, bringing a smile to his face. They almost seemed a little off, but he knew she could change into anything she wanted. Why be stuck with one voice? Why not a thousand?

Soon enough, the water shut off and a towel fell across his body. Rigorous rubbing later, and his fur was merely damp.

“Okay,” his wife smiled and waved a hoof toward herself, “come on out, Roast.”

A grin split his muzzle from ear to ear and he nearly slipped in his rush to reach her.

“Oh, gosh! Ah! Wai—ohhhkay…”

He rubbed his cheek against hers, back and forth, over and over. Giggles bubbled up from within him. He simply couldn’t get enough of her!

“Okay, alright. Stop,” she said and he happily pulled back. “Roast, I need you to listen to me. You’re being held in the changeling hive. You and Firefly were taken. Do you understand?”

“Uh huh!” Roast didn’t, but he knew she’d be happy if he did. He took a step forward and leaned in for another nuzzle.

“Ahp! No, stop.” She pushed him away with a glare. “Roast, I need you to understand. You were taken against your will. You’re being used as food! I need you to wake up. Firefly needs you. Sweet Leaf needs you.”

He almost felt hurt, but that drained away. Firefly was right. She was always right. She needed him and the smile that stretched across his lips hurt from the wonder of those words. “Okay!” He trotted around and plopped himself at her side. “I’m here!”

His joy turned into despair as a frustrated sigh came from his wife. She stepped away.

“No, I’m not—oh my stars. Please don’t give me that look. You didn’t do anything wrong, but I need you awake.” She tapped a hoof against her chin. “Shoot. Patella never mentioned how to…” her eyes flicked up to meet his. “Ohhh gosh, no. He did.”

His wife grinned a strange grin and came close. She put a hoof up to his cheek. “Roast, when you’re awake… please forgive me?”

He nuzzled into her hoof. “Anything for you.”

She took a deep breath. “You say that now…” She pulled her hoof back. “Stand still and close your eyes.”

With a nod, he happily did so.

And stars filled his vision.

Hot pain blossomed across the side of his face. Roast’s eyes flung open and he found himself sideways on cold, dark stone. The heat swelled into a throbbing sting as his eyes settled on a set of black, chitinous legs. He gasped and tried to scramble to his hooves, but his head joined in the pain. “Oh… oww. Dammit.” He needed to get up, this changeling hit him, but his dizzy head swam with strange thoughts. “P-Please don’t, I need to…”

The changeling kneeled down and he spotted relief cross their face. “Oh, thank Chrysalis. Fine Roast, Firefly’s in trouble. I’m her friend and I’m here to get you out. My name is Spindle.”

“Spindle?” He narrowed his eyes as she helped him shakily sit up. “From… Hoofington, Spindle?” His wife’s pretty face was stained with— No… what? She’s not Firefly. “What am I— what’s going on?”

“Yeah, Spindle from Hoofington.” She nodded and glanced warily to the side. “Listen, I don’t know how much you remember, but we’ve got maybe fifteen minutes before another caretaker patrols through here. I know you’ve got questions, but can we please hold them until we’re out?”

Roast hesitated. No questions? She expected him to trust her? Just like that? A frustrated growl roiled up from his chest. “I don’t know. My head hurts and I keep wanting to hug you or touch you or something. What is going on?”

“That’s the, uh… dangit, what did he call it?” Her face contorted in thought. “Hypnosis and something spells. I don’t know if it’ll fade, but maybe that’s a good thing if it doesn’t.”

He gave her a look. Was she really on his side? “What do you mean, ‘good thing?’ And… and I need to know. Why are you helping me?”

Spindle winced and looked away. “That’s… a long story. I can tell you later, but for now, I screwed up. Firefly’s hurting and needs you. Someling else in the hive is trying to help her too, but it’s up to me to do it.” She huffed and her pained eyes turned back to him. “Roast, helping you means betraying the hive. I’ve already put a lot on the line before I even got to you. We can talk more later, but we really need to go.”

If it really were that desperate, he knew he should trust her. His brain told him to anyway, but that was why he couldn’t. He’d been fooled before.

“That night, before you left, why were you there and not with your source?”

“Roast, please! They come through every—”

“Answer it quick, or I sit here until they do.”

Spindle growled. “You stubborn ass. You have no idea what I’m risking for her. For you. Fine. I bucked up. I tried to make more crystals when I thought I had time. But, I didn’t and Wavy Palette caught me as a changeling. I ran and asked Firefly for some of her crystals so I could leave town.” She stepped up into his face. “Is that enough, or do you want my whole life story, too?”

His eyes flicked between hers. “Yeah, that’s enough. I’m sorry.”

“Good.” She stepped back. “Before we leave, half of this getaway is on you. We have to walk our ponies regularly and we do so with these.” She levitated a leash and chest harness from a hook next to the basin. “However, your part is the hardest. You ponies are brainwashed while you’re here and you think only of your lovers.

“That means,” she gave him a stink eye, “no anger. No frustration. No curiosity. No surprise. Focus on her, and only happy thoughts of her. And don’t react to anyone but me. Got it?”

Roast glared back at her. “You call me an ass, tell me this whole thing rides on my shoulders, and expect me to suddenly be happy-go-lucky? Meanwhile, I’m worried about my wife, about getting shoved into one of those again,” he jabbed a foreleg at the cocoons, “I’m worried about your queen killing me for trying to escape, and I’m supposed to just be happy?!”

“I don’t like this either, but there’s no other way.”

“Not anymore there’s not!”

“Roast!” Spindle stomped a hoof. “The only time we take you out is when we walk you!”

He rolled his eyes and pointed a hoof to his still-throbbing cheek. “Then why didn’t you do this after you got me out of here?!”

She stared for a moment, then flicked her eyes down before closing them. Her shoulders slowly began to slump. A huff came from her nose as she shook her head.

Her eyes opened, filled with fatigue and pain. “Because my signature is screwing up. I always think I’ve thought of everything, but then something comes up and proves me wrong. I’m sorry, but please work with me. I’m risking so much, and someling could come any moment. We need to go.”

Roast closed his eyes and tried to will his frustration away. His face still hurt, but he tried to push his compassion to the front. It was one of the things Firefly said she loved. If the poor changeling in front of him was telling the truth, she was risking exile, or worse, to help.

“Okay.” His lips formed a thin line and he nodded. “I’ll do my best. I have no idea if it’ll be good enough, but we have to try.”

He stood still as she slipped the harness around his barrel. As she fed his forelegs through the straps, he tried to focus on Firefly. On Sweet Leaf and the cafe. Changelings are good creatures. Not bad. They don’t kidnap ponies. They don’t steal them away and stuff them—

“Happy thoughts, Roast.”

His eyes opened and he fought his frustration back down. “Right. Happy… happy thoughts.” He nearly jerked back as green flames engulfed her, leaving a facsimile of his pony wife in her place.

“Right.” She gave him a sheepish smile. “We take the forms of their loved ones to give the ponies something to focus on.” She huffed before a sweet smile crossed her face. “I’m sorry. I really wish we had the time for you to sort out your feelings. We can talk about it later. For now, there’s a maintenance tunnel a little ways from here. The path we’re taking shouldn’t have us crossing too many ‘lings. But we have to go.”

He nodded and tried again. A tug came from the leash as his charge began to walk away.

“Try to put a dopey smile on, too. And keep your eyes on me. I’ll tug if I start to feel anything odd from you.”

Roast tried to focus on his not-wife in front of him as she guided him to the exit and on to the real Firefly. He focused on her sunset orange mane, her lemon yellow coat. Soon came the memories of days spent tending to their customers, then of snuggling by the fireplace on cold, winter nights. As the two turned into a hall, he let a happy smile fill his face.

And nearly dropped it at the sight of another changeling.

The harness tugged on his chest, but the split second was already spent. “Hey,” the other changeling gave him a glance, “you might wanna get him checked. Looks like the hypnosis might be wearing off.”

“Yeah, I know.” Spindle sighed. “I felt it too. He was a little uppity when I rinsed him off, but ponies gotta be walked. I almost think he might’ve been one of the ones at Canterlot.”

“Could be.” They shrugged. “You want some help? I was about to head to the cafeteria, but I could take a detour.”

She snorted. “It might not look it, but this isn’t my first caste. Plus, I get triple incentives from the gym. I doubt he’d make it two meters.”

“Daaamn! That is some dedication I do not have. By the way, what’s your name? I don’t think I’ve met you.”

“Oh! I just got transferred from day shift.” Spindle glanced away and tucked her mane behind her ear. “I, uhh, I’m Spindle.”

Roast quickly reminded himself of how cute Sweet Leaf was when they first started dating and did his best not to react to the blush on her cheeks. A blush for someone else.

Both their heads turned to him.

“Huh.” The other changeling raised their eyeridges. “He did not like that.” They looked back to Spindle. “Sorry, that’s not what I meant. I was only curious.”

“Ah, no, no, it’s my fault. Collector instincts and all. When I’m in a disguise, it feels like everyling is hitting on me.”

“Oh, double damn! You were a collector?! I bet that’s got some stories behind it. Hey, I’m Pygidium. If you wanna grab food sometime, I’d love to hear ‘em.”

“Sure!” Spind—Sweet Leaf smiled. A very cute smile that was meant for him and no one else. “How about—”

Both changelings’ eyes flicked to him again.

“Heh…” Spindle rubbed the back of her neck, “maybe I should get on with his walk before I actually end up having to do something about him.”

“Yeah, that might be best. Maybe add some extra hypnosis before you put him under.” They walked past Roast. “I’ll try to catch you later, Spindle! See ya!”

“Bye!” She waved, then tugged the leash onward. A couple dozen paces later and Spindle turned down a side tunnel. She pulled him into what seemed like a storage room, filled with cabinets and boxes, and closed the door.

“Sorry. This was dumb of me. That was so close I thought I was going to throw up.” Spindle lowered her head before sighing and pulling off the leash’s lead. “This really is all my fault. You’re not a changeling. You’re not even an actor. You’re a barista. I think we need to try something different. I have an idea, but it’s going to be uncomfortable.”

“Okay?” He furrowed an eyebrow at her. “What are you thinking?”

She trotted off and pulled open cabinet after cabinet. At one of them, she reached in and grabbed something before continuing down the line. Finally, she reached into the second to last cabinet and pulled out a towel. She turned back and tossed it to him.

“Dry yourself off some more,” Spindle nodded to the fluffy thing, then set both a mane and coat brush on a box. She slipped her wingtips into the harness straps and pulled it off him. “If you can get dry, brush yourself. I’ll be back in a few minutes. Noling should be coming through here this late, so you should be safe.”

“Where are you going?” He asked as he ran the towel along his mane.

“To get wet.” A nervous smile crossed her face. “Try not to be too… emotive while I’m gone,” she said, before opening the door and leaving.

Get wet? Why would she need to… then Roast’s snout wrinkled at the realization. A grumble passed through him as he ran the towel along his fur and past the harness.

He wanted to think of how crazy she was, how much of a clusterbuck the whole situation was, but that might end up being too ‘emotive.’ The thought of his wife almost crossed his mind, but he knew that would end up sending him into a spiral. He had first-hoof experience with that.

The worst thing that could happen right then was some changeling stumbling upon him. So, instead, he tried to think of… he paused. Roast realized he had no idea what to think about. Had no idea what he could think about, not without driving himself worried or angry or some other damned emotion.

We really need to get out, because this is going to get old, fast.

Barely a few minutes later, the door opened and the pretty guise of Sweet Leaf walked back in, quite damp.

“That was quick,” he said.

“Yeah. Our restroom down here has a shower,” she replied as she began running a hoof backwards along her feathers. “In case we get stasis fluid on us.”

“Huh.” He eyed the feathers she was mussing up. “What are… you doing?”

She snorted. “They train us collectors to be adaptive, to think of the little things. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t and everything goes wrong. We don’t fix your wings or fur until after the walk. Exercise is more important and we can always shove you into a cocoon and fix it all next time. Heh,” she chuckled as she ran her hooves up the last feather. “You know, Patella’s prattling actually turned out useful.”

“Whose prattling?” He tilted his head and finished toweling off his tail.

She grabbed a coat brush and began combing out his fur. “A fellow caretaker I usually grab breakfast with. He has no idea how to tell a story and sometimes I, uh, ditch him before he can finish. But his seemingly useless stories about pony caretaking have somehow been a good thing.”

Roast snorted and began brushing his mane. “Wow. You sound like a good friend.” He felt her pause and glanced over. Her face had taken on a sad, pathetic look.

Great, where’s that compassion now, Roast? He turned back away. “Sorry. I didn’t—”

Spindle’s face scrunched up into a little grimace. “No, you’re right. I’m not, but I’m trying to make up for it. Firefly needed me and I…” She paused in her brushing for a moment. “N-no. Sorry. We can talk about that later. Firefly’s fine for now. We need to focus on getting you out first.”

Roast gave her a little smile and tried to keep his concern under wraps. He didn’t need to worry over her anyway. Firefly could handle herself for a little longer while he made his way to her. No matter what the problem was, she was a strong mare.

A frown crossed his face as it hardly made the desire to protect her go away.

After a few more minutes, Spindle stepped back, “Okay. I think you’re good. Now, I’m assuming you figured out what I meant for you to do here?”

He nodded. “Yeah, you want me to be the changeling.”

“Yep. I know it’s a terrible idea, but as far as I can see, it’s less terrible than expecting you to emote on demand.” Spindle slipped on the harness and held the leash out to Roast. “Slip this on your foreleg. I’ll give you a tug when we’re supposed to turn. It’s an hour or two past midnight and it’s meal time, so there should be hardly anyling around. Hopefully noling will run into us.”

“Hopefully.” He took a deep breath and slipped the leash’s lead on. “What should I say if I do? I mean, you’re a… caretaker, right? What do caretakers talk about?”

“Uhh,” she winced and made a face, “Nothing? All kinds of things? You heard what we talked about back there. Not a lot different from Equestria, but with more, um… hive stuff?” Spindle huffed. “And, of course, we have no time to educate you on any of that. I’d say be a bit grumpy, but you have no emotional guard. So, maybe look serious, but try to think of nothing. Sorry, it’s probably not helpful.”

“No, no.” Roast held a hoof up despite the bit of frustration he was sure she could sense. “It’s fine. We’re stuck with this and no amount of preparation is going to do anything at this point. So let’s just get going.”

“Sure, let me get my dope on.”

Roast snorted. “Your dope on?” He watched with a raised eyebrow as his wife’s borrowed face turned from slightly worried to absolutely in-love… dopiness. There was no better way to describe it, he realized. He barely succeeded in holding back a laugh.

She rolled her eyes, but tilted her head towards the door. He took another breath and turned back to the exit. There was little to it but to go. With a twist of the handle and a pull of the door, he left the room.

He led them back to the main hall and felt a tug to the left, the way they were originally headed. Both ways looked clear as he entered and let out a sigh at the empty hall.

Come on, Roast. It’s okay. You’re meant to be here. There’s no need to be nervous. Relax.

They continued for a few dozen seconds before he heard clopping and a changeling stepped out from a side passage. Seeing another almost spiked his anxiety, but he immediately reminded himself, yet again, that he was supposed to be there. The changeling didn’t—

Or maybe they did. Roast watched them give an odd look at the pair of them. He hoped to Celestia and Luna that he and Spindle could pass by.

“Hey,” the feminine-sounding changeling nearly made him wince, “you taking her back soon? She’s got almost nothing coming from her.”

“O-oh!” Roast turned with what he hoped was a reassuring smile. He cursed their luck and tried to empty his mind at the sight of a suspicious changeling. “Yeah, I know. She wasn’t nearly as friendly when she came out this time. Probably due for another hypnosis spell, but we gotta walk them, right?”

“Yeah, sure.” She came up to Roast and Spindle. “But, like, this seems pretty bad. She might come out at any time.”

Roast shrugged and ran his hoof through his not-wife’s mane. He was a little amused when she nuzzled his hoof. “I’m not all that worried about it. I can handle her.”

“You seemed pretty worried.” She ran her eyes across the both of them. “I… really think you should get her back to a pod.”

He shook his head and tried to keep the panic at bay. “I think I can manage. I get triples from my workouts. There’s no way she’d get away from me. Not with those wings.” He gave Spindle a little smile and patted the ground next to him. She looked as happy as can be to plop herself next to him and nuzzle all over his side. It gave him little kernels of joy to feel Sweet Leaf against him. “In fact, I was more worried about her coming out when she saw you than if I could handle her.”

An eyeridge furrowed on the changeling as she stared for a long moment. “I… guess so. What’s your name, anyway? I don’t recognize your pheromones.”

He kept the smile plastered on his face. “I’m Spindle. Just transferred from day shift.”

“Really?” She squinted at him. “I didn’t hear anything about that.”

“Mhm! Came directly from the boss.”

The changeling’s doubtfulness appeared to double. “Cercus? Seriously? He’s stepping over my hooves again?” She huffed as Roast hesitantly nodded. “This is getting ridiculous. If he keeps this up, I’m gonna take it to the queen.”

“I’m only doing what he told me.”

“Fine. Whatever. Still, you should have come talk to me first. There’s more that needs done than walking ponies.”

Roast tried to look a little sheepish. “Sorry, were you the leader here?”

The frown deepened on her face. “...Yes. I’m the shift lead, Labrum. He didn’t even tell you that?”

“Erm, no. Sorry. I guess I should have asked more questions when he reassigned me.”

“Well,” Labrum huffed, “if I wasn’t about to get lunch, I’d tell you to pod her and then drag you back to my office. After you’re done, I expect you to be waiting there in an hour, Spindle. I imagine we’ll have a lot to talk about.” The changeling began to turn away. “And I swear, if she gets out, I’m going to have your chitin.”

“Yes, ma’am! She won’t!” He started to give a little wave, but a nuzzle nearly shoved him off balance.

The shift lead rolled her eyes and continued on.

One steadying breath later, and he continued on down the main hallway. Don’t think about it. Everything went according to plan. She had no idea you weren’t a changeling. Don’t think about it!

Despite definitely not thinking about it, he felt sweat drip down his neck. When he’d committed to loving a changeling, being a discount spy was not something he’d expected. Nor was it even something he wanted. He knew the risks of loving her, but living them?

His nightmares were nothing compared to being in the actual hive.

Half a minute later, he felt a tug to the right. They went down a smaller tunnel and the pair turned a couple more times. On the final turn, he halted right before his nose hit a wall. His eyes followed the passage upwards and his ears perked at an odd, higher-pitched sound he couldn’t place.

Spindle came up beside him and shook her head. “You sly, little changeling.” She smiled. “You got lucky as buck. Either that or you’re better at this than I thought.”

“Half half?” He gave a half smile and had to fight to keep his heart rate down. “That was, uh… a lot. I thought for sure we’d been caught. How did she not sense me?”

“Oh, don’t get me wrong,” she said as she began removing the harness, “you were as nervous as could be. But I imagine she took that as you being new and meeting the shift lead for the first time.”

He nodded. Though, the interaction certainly did put a bit more of a time limit on their little operation. An hour wasn’t exactly very long for an escape from the hive. And the badlands.

“Whatever it was, we really gotta get going now,” she mirrored his sentiment. “Here, hold this and I’ll carry you up.” She hoofed him the harness and leash.

A flash of green and Spindle was her changeling self again. Before he could process a sudden feeling of disappointment, her wings buzzed and she wrapped her hooves around his barrel. She hoisted him up, slow and steady. At the top, rapid tacking of wings sounded against stone and he began to flail as they almost lost balance.

“Sorry!” She whispered and darted forward. In the now-horizontal tunnel, the tacks came again, but cut out as she fell on his back.

He felt her warm, smooth chitin sliding down his back and croup and he beat back the urge to have her slide along him more.

“There. Sorry about that,” Spindle said and came up along his side. “It seemed a bit more spacious when I checked earlier.”

“That’s alright. We’re here now…” He trailed off and noticed ahead was a little door that seemed to be making that odd whistling. “Wait a second,” he whispered and squinted at her.

“What?”

He trotted forward a few paces, turned, and nearly blocked the width of the passage. “Are you seriously taking us through air vents? That kind of thing only works in books!”

She rolled her eyes and shoved past him. “And that’s a sign you read too much. Yes, I’m taking us through air vents. Or rather, the stone maintenance tunnel to them. No loud, metal banging. Though, you will have to duck for the first bit. And we’ll need to be quiet. The vents do happen to connect to rooms. Rooms that contain changelings.”

Roast nodded as she opened the door. A flush of air rushed past him and he couldn’t help but think that if he wasn’t dry already, he would be soon.

He followed her into the tiny hole, maybe two-thirds his height, taking care to clop his hooves as softly as he could against the stone. The tunnel slowly became taller and wider, until he could fully stand up. He glanced to the sides and suspected a couple ponies could probably fit if they snuggled extra close.

As they made their way along, a couple of the smaller, crawling-sized tunnels sported conversations. Each one the dual-toned signature voices of changelings.

Eventually, Spindle led him to a wide, windy tunnel that curved up halfway to vertical. Branching off were several other tunnels near the same size as the one they’d exited. On the ground was a pair of saddlebags.

Spindle trotted up and magicked them onto her back. As she strapped them on, she walked back and whispered into his ear, “Okay, this was the easy part. Now we’re going to go up.” She tilted her head to the incline. “I haven’t been here since I was a nymph, but there should only be one guard up ahead, one we should be able to sneak past. They should be a raven, so if you hear a caw, don’t panic.”

Roast raised an eyebrow. “That’s a lot of ‘shoulds.’”

“It’s the best we’ve got. Unless you can think of a better way to sneak out of an unfamiliar, underground, hidden bugpony hive.”

After a second, Roast shook his head. “No, you’ve got me beat there.”

“Thought so,” she said. “And because topside is all kinds of sandy, I’m going to be a sand-colored gryphon. I would have liked to get a tarp to cover you, but I kinda… well, let’s say I couldn’t and leave it at that. You,” she pointed a hoof at him as green flames covered her body, “are lucky enough to have almost-sandy fur.” She put her gryphon claw down. “Any questions before we throw ourselves to fate?”

“Uhh, no? Or, well, what if we’re caught?”

The edges of Spindle’s beak turned into a tight line. “That’s… one thing I hadn’t figured out. Let’s hope we don’t.” She turned and took a step up the tunnel.

“That’s kind of an important bit to gloss over, don’t you think?”

Spindle huffed, looking back at him. “Look, Roast. I had less than two hours to plan this before I lost my window. If you want to complain about how poor a job I did, there’s plenty of changelings around! Pick a tunnel!”

Roast sighed and deflated. “I’m sorry. I don’t mean to seem ungrateful. I’m just… nervous.”

“It’s alright.” She gave him a little, fragile smile. “I understand, because underneath all this, I’m about to wet myself. Or throw up. My body can’t seem to decide which. I’m pushing through it because it’s too late to do anything else.”

She faced the uphill tunnel once more and began up it.

He continued to tiphoof along behind. A morsel of guilt filled him as he realized he hadn’t been thinking at all about her side of things. She was giving up a lot more than he was. He’d already lost everything he could, while she had given up all of her own so he could have a chance.

‘Why’ is what he really wanted to know. Was Firefly really that special to her?

The tunnel curved around and Roast’s eyebrows shot up at the sight of several splits at the end of the tunnel, all of varying sizes. Spindle led him up a smaller one and, a few meters in, it looked as though someone had broken up a bunch of tumbleweeds, then shoved them to the sides.

She turned her head and his ears barely caught the words. “I cleared it out earlier, try not to step on them. Once we’re out, follow me to the right, away from the moon.”

Roast took a deep breath and nodded. He carefully stepped past the broken twigs. Finally, a dozen paces later, he was met with the open night sky.

A heavy weight left his shoulders. He hadn’t realized how much he missed the sky and stars and moon. The thought of being trapped forever in that cave, cycled in and out of cocoons until his dying breath, sent terror up and down his spine. He glanced back and felt a deep, burrowing pity for the dozens of others forever stuck in their tomb.

“Roast!” Spindle whispered and grabbed his shoulders. “It’s okay. We’re out, but you need to get a hold of yourself! You’re a beacon right now. Please!”

He nodded and squeezed his eyes shut, trying to stuff the feelings away. They weren’t out yet. There was still a great deal to get through before then. He turned to the right with Spindle and took his first step towards that freedom.

Roast nearly jumped at a flutter of wings. A raven landed in front of Spindle and looked her over. Its eyes snapped its head to him, then eyed her again.

“You two smell of spit,” it spoke and Roast’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Why are you outside? And why are you,” it pointed a wing at Roast, “so emotive?”

“We, uh, we’re caretakers,” Spindle said. “We were trying to sneak out for a nighttime flight. We thought that we—”

“As an earth pony and a gryphon? Idiots.” The raven shook its head. “You’re both going back inside. Stay here. Or else.” The bird spread its wings and took to the sky.

And slammed into a boulder with a flurry of black feathers.

Roast stared wide eyed at Spindle’s red claw, then to the bird dripping blood onto the sand. Fear washed down his back at Spindle's same wide-eyed stare and pinpricks of pupils at the unmoving bird. He rushed to her side. “Spindle!” he whispered. “We have to go! Guards have to hear that and feel me!”

She slowly shook her head, her eyes never leaving the raven. “N-No… I-I can’t. They’ll die. We… we have to…”

“Spindle!” he spoke louder. “We don’t have time! If we don’t leave now, that’s going to be you!”

“I’ve n-never k-k-killed before. If we leave them here, they’ll… I can’t let them. She’ll hate me and I’ll never be able to…”

She was stuck in her head. He knew it. He’d seen it with Aura a few times. But he didn’t have time to gently guide her down. Roast stepped in close and grabbed her face. “Listen to me. They’re not going to die. Here’s—”

“They will!” Spindle nearly shook out of his hold, but he held strong.

“Listen! I’m going to yell, when I do, we’re both going to run. West,” he jerked his head to the side, “towards the moon. Got it?”

She shook her head. “No. No that… they’ll still—”

Roast took a deep breath and tilted his head back. “Help! Someone help!” He glared at Spindle. “Are we leaving?”

“Buck!” Spindle stared at him for half a second. “What were you—”

Roast growled and sprinted off. If she didn’t follow, that was her own damn fault. He heard flapping behind. A gasp tore itself from his throat as he felt four legs grasp around him and his hooves left the ground. He flailed and tried to kick at his captor.

“Stop! It’s me!” He heard her breath against his ear. He nodded and felt her back legs snug tighter along his belly.

The sandscape sped past, faster and faster, only a dozen hooves below. Behind, distant caws began to fill the night sky. Roast tried to peer behind, but Spindle’s forelegs held him tight. He kept his ears pointed back, but was relieved to hear the guards’ calls fade away into the darkness.

A jerk to the side nearly wrested a cry from him. He saw Spindle had turned behind a rocky outcropping. She turned again, flying lower and dipping into a valley.

A few minutes later, as they came out, he noticed the moon to his right. He tapped her leg. When she didn’t respond, he tapped harder and opened his mouth.

A claw snapped over his mouth and he winced as a talon nicked him. She slowed enough to let the roaring wind die down. Her beak met his ear once more and whispered, “yell, and I drop you. What do you want?” She put her ear next to his head.

“The moon is to the right. We’re going the wrong way.”

She pulled away and said, “Yeah, that’s because somepony decided to alert the dozen or two guards outside that we killed one of them.”

“That was because—”

She growled. “I am fully aware why you did it, and I’m still pissed. At you and at me.” He flinched as she clacked a beak in his ear. “You have no idea what just happened. What this forced me to do. To become.”

Roast wished he could see her eyes, if only to try to calm them. “No, I’m sorry. I don’t know all the implications of what I’ve done. But you were frozen! I had to do something before I lost the only chance I had.”

“I. Am. Aware! You think I’m—” A deep rumble came from her chest, distinctly felt against his back. She held him tighter. “I don’t have the time to process what I did. I feel like freaking out or breaking down and crying, but I can’t! Scouts will be following us soon, and they’ll probably be sending a letter to all the nearby infiltrators too. It won’t take them long to figure out who we were. And after that…”

“But weren’t—” he winced, almost wishing he hadn’t begun the question. “You broke me out. Weren’t they already going to come after us?”

“No.” She shook her head the little their situation would allow her. “Well, maybe. I don’t know and this isn’t the time to explain. Now, I need you to hush. Time wasn’t our friend before, but now it’s our enemy.” She raised her head and the wind blazed past them once more.

Roast closed his eyes against the dry, cold air and tried to get comfortable.


Pre-dawn light shone around the small, northern badland mountains high above. The gryphon holding him was panting. More than once in the last minute, her grip had begun to slip.

“Spindle.”

A grunt came in reply.

“We need to stop. You’re exhausted. And I’m afraid you’re going to drop me.”

He felt her entire body shake back and forth as much as her head did. “T-There’s a little… valley… up ahead.” She panted. “Another—another minute, maybe. Gonna… stop there.”

Her legs nearly slipped again and he felt her barely keep from digging her claws into his sides. He couldn’t help but look down at the rising cliffs below. “Spindle! You’re going to hurt me as much as yourself if you keep this up. It won’t help us stay ahead if you pass out and get us killed!”

“I… can make it. Please… be quiet.”

Roast sighed and tried to make himself as easy to hold as he could. Her talons were uncomfortably sharp against his ribs and every flap of her wings made them jab that bit deeper. Ahead was a ridge, and the small valley beyond, he assumed.

He hissed as a talon finally pierced his hide, just as they crested onto a plateau. A low yelp came from his throat as he fell half a meter and stumbled a short ways. A heavy thump to his right found Spindle flopped on her belly in the early morning dark.

Ahead, he spotted a stone outcropping, almost cave-like, but with signs of being pony- or changeling-made. Probably to keep the worst of the elements away. He sighed and walked to Spindle. “Come on, let’s go take a rest.”

A hum in the negative was all he got.

“Spindle, you know this area better than me. It’s probably more comfortable over there.”

A groan came in response.

He rolled his eyes and grabbed her saddlebag strap in his teeth. He strained to lift the heavy gryphon, but received no other complaints. Her claws and paws dragged along the ground as they passed under the overhang. He gently set her down on the cool, packed dirt and looked around. Roast was almost surprised to find a large, rugged travel chest set in a far corner.

He trotted over and unlatched it. His eyebrows rose at the surprisingly well-lubricated hinges; not a single squeak of protest as it opened. Inside, he found many camping supplies and began rifling through for something useful.

“You know,” Spindle’s tired voice came from behind him, “they used to… keep love and bits hidden here. After the invasion, they decided to make these spots a little more… anonymous.”

“Huh,” Roast pulled out a sleeping bag. He turned back to her and raised another eyebrow as she grunted and stood.

“Don’t bother,” Spindle said as she sat upright. “Ten minutes is all we can spare.”

Roast pursed his lips at her. “Seriously? You’re dead on your hooves. We have to rest.”

She shook her head. “We can’t. Unless the schedule has changed, the first train out of Dodge Junction leaves in a couple hours. We need to be on it. There’s no telling when they’ll catch up.”

“You,” Roast trotted up and shoved the sleeping bag into her chest, “don’t have the energy. You need rest.”

Spindle shoved it back at him. “And I’ll have even less when I wake up. I burnt most of my love getting here. If I sleep, I’m using even more. There’s no food here that’s not in my bags and no reason to stay.”

He squinted at her. There was still that lingering sense of… need when he thought of her. Moreso when she was in her changeling form. He wondered… “Change into Sweet Leaf.”

She snorted. “Yeah, okay, sure. Let me, your not-wife, change into your wife’s disguise. ‘Cause that’s definitely how love works.”

“You really think it won’t?”

An unamused expression coated her face. “Roast, I am—I used to be a collector. Love was my speciality.”

He shrugged. “Then all you have to lose is a little from transforming. You’ll need a new disguise anyway. There’s no way the guards didn’t see at least the big gryphon.”

She stared for a moment longer. “Fine. Whatever.”

The same green flames he’d seen dozens of times before surrounded Spindle. A second later, in front of him, stood another near-exact replica of his wife. A bit shorter mane, maybe a shade off her coat color, but in the growing light of day, it was a spitting image.

He missed her more than he realized.

“Hey, sweetie,” Spindle trotted up to him with one of those loving smiles he knew so well. “How have you—are you bucking kidding me?”

“What?” he leaned forward and ran his cheek along hers.

She pulled back and squinted at him. “Are you… this better be for her.”

It was. Mostly. Bobby Pin was a very cute mare and had a wonderful personality. It certainly didn’t hurt that she shared a lot in common with Spindle. Though, seeing her become his wife? That was the cake.

And he found he kind of wanted to eat it, too.

Roast gave her a little smirk. “If a changeling can’t tell then who can? Now you wanna snuggle or what?”

“You and your wife both…” she sighed and plopped herself next to him.

He promptly put a hoof around her withers and pulled her close. Her tense muscles didn’t go unnoticed. “What about us?”

Spindle didn’t answer right away. Several seconds later, a tiny huff escaped her and she relaxed into his embrace. “She hit on me. Or rather, she tried to hook up with me.”

“Huh.” It was kind of amusing. He knew neither of them wanted any but each other. “I’m not worried about it. Were you posing as me? Or did you not have your pheromones open?”

“It was just us, changeling to changeling, and she was serious, Roast.”

He shrugged. “I trust her completely. I didn’t know changelings liked each other like that, but it makes sense with how much Firefly enjoys… well, I’m sure you know. I’m sorry if that made you uncomfortable.”

“Wait a second,” Spindle leaned a tiny bit away and looked at Roast. “Are you two in an open relationship? Erm, I mean…”

Roast couldn’t help but enjoy her cute blush, much like the ones Sweet Leaf had back when they’d dated. “Why? You looking to join?”

“No! I mean, you’re both wonderful, but that’s not for me. And I’m not really into—”

He hugged her tighter. “I’m joking, Spindle. We aren’t into that either.” His eyes narrowed at nothing. “As far as I know, anyway.”

“That’s not what I…” she puffed. “Anyway, it did make me a little uncomfortable, but mostly because of… other reasons.”

“Ah, I see.” Roast nodded in understanding. “Well, when we get out of this, I can tell her you don’t swing that way.”

“No, that’s not it.” She shook her head. “I actually kinda prefer mares. For Firefly, it’s more that she was taken, and… ugh.” She rubbed a hoof against her head. “It’s too complicated to explain right now.”

Roast hummed and lifted his foreleg off slightly. “Would you prefer I take my hoof off?”

“No, it’s fine. If it helps you, then go for it.”

He furrowed a brow. She may have thought it complicated, but they had some time. Love couldn’t fill her up in an instant, after all. “Can I ask a question about that?”

“Sure.” She shrugged and he felt her lean into him. “I’m trying not to think of things anyway, so go for it.”

“You said you’re lesbian, or at least leaning more that way. Why Wavy Palette, then? Why not a mare?”

Spindle chuckled. “That’s easy. I don’t really know what to do when I’m with girls that way, even though I was trained for it. Mares make me feel all… squiggly and squirmy inside. Enbies kinda do that a little too. Early on in training, I decided to choose stallions because then I can emotionally distance myself from them.”

He snorted. “Of course. Out of all the changelings, it would be you who would pay attention to that lesson.”

“How do you know about that?”

Roast gave her a look. “I’m married to a changeling. Plus, she kinda did the exact thing that lecture said not to.”

Spindle glanced away. “Right.”

Roast really did wonder if his hoof around her made her uncomfortable. Though, getting to hug a facsimile of his wife’s disguise was helping with loving her. That brought with it another thought and he stole another glance at her. “So, you like those other than stallions. Do you find… ponies attractive?”

That drew a deep sigh from her. “Look, Roast, I just gave up everything, including any chance at ever being a collector again. How I feel about anyone, changeling, pony, or otherwise, means nothing at this point.”

He couldn’t help but squeeze her tighter. “You don’t know that, Spindle. I have no idea how I’m going to stay with Firefly, but you better believe I’m going to find a way. Who’s to say there’s not a way for you too?”

Spindle shook her head. “Wishful thinking. That’s all it is.”

“Come on,” Roast gave her a friendly little shake, “you’re trying to not think about things, so let’s think about something else. Your dream creature walks up to you one day. What do they look like?”

She leaned away to glance at him, though he did notice the tiniest of smiles. “What is this? A slumber party?”

He laughed. “It could be! There’s a couple sleeping bags right over there!”

She snorted, but fell silent and looked down. Several seconds later she said, “I’ve only ever met changelings and ponies before, so I guess they could be either. But, at this point, I feel like it might be more rare for two changelings to love each other than for what you and Firefly have.” She sighed again. “I don’t really know. They’d have to love me, at the very least. Maybe dote on me a little bit. I’d also love to be able to dote on them too.”

Spindle glanced at him. “I’d ask what yours would be, but I feel like you already got your dream mare.”

“Yeah.” He sucked in a breath, “I can’t lie, she’s… amazing and I still have no idea how I got so lucky. Her disguise’s name was perfect, she really is sweet. She’s strong and independent, but is…”

Roast trailed off as guilt seeped into his chest. He realized he’d just listed all the things Spindle didn’t have. As she turned to him with a questioning look, he decided to try playing it off. “Uh, speaking of, I guess now’s as good a time as any. What happened to her?”

His brows furrowed in worry as Spindle’s shoulders went slack.

“I… don’t really know. I was able to meet her before she went to plead with Queen Chrysalis. That morning, she cried on my shoulder and yelled at some guards. She was completely set on fighting for you.

“A couple days later, two days ago, at that, she comes and finds me. That’s when she hit on me. We went back to her room to talk and she acted completely different from how she had before. I think she was trying to ask for help, like the queen had done something to her. She kept saying ‘I can’t tell you what happened,’ and I was stupid and got angry at her. We fought and I left.”

The worry deep in the pit of Roast’s heart reared its head once again. “What do you mean the queen did something to her?”

“I don’t know that she did, but it’s the only thing that makes sense. I think maybe she threatened Firefly.” She gave him a little smile before it fell into a guilty frown. “I didn’t pick up on the signs, but they’re so obvious looking back. That’s why I’m helping you. That, and another changeling was trying to help.”

Roast raised an eyebrow. “Another changeling?”

“Yeah,” Spindle nodded. “A guard, or rather, our general. General Elytra. She said Firefly’s hiding how much she’s hurting and that she needs help. So she… recruited me to help Firefly? I guess that’s the best way to put it.” She slumped further. “But then I went and killed one of her guards.”

“Hey,” he squeezed her again and pulled her up, “you have no idea what happened after we left. I know they heard my yell and probably got help.”

“I… don’t know if I can believe that.” She glanced up to him and he saw tears pool in her eyes. “I’ve never killed anyone before, Roast. I never thought I’d kill a pony, let alone one of my own people. I’m truly a traitor now. I don’t think even General Elytra could convince Queen Chrysalis to accept me back anymore.”

“You don’t know that,” Roast said and pulled her into a hug, but she pushed him away.

“I don’t get you.” Spindle wiped her nose on her fetlock. “How are you not freaking out? Your wife probably got threatened by our queen for wanting to be with you. Yet you’re taking pity on me?”

He gave her a gentle smile. “We’re on our way and will find out what really happened to her. I am worried, and I know you can tell, but we’ve made it this far. Together, Firefly and I can handle anything, I believe that. As long as we can get to her, we’ll be okay. We made it through Tartarus once and came out with a friend. But you want to know something?”

She merely raised an eyebrow.

“For the last year, I’ve been most worried about you.”

Spindle reared her head back. “About me? How? Why? Were you afraid I was gonna come back?”

Roast shook his head and chuckled. “I was more afraid you weren’t. Firefly told me what happened and how no help was going to come for you.”

She merely stared at him for a long moment, then shook her head. “How in the hay did Firefly get so lucky?”

He laughed. “You call this luck?”

“You know what I mean.”

“Mhm.” He nodded and sat himself next to her. “The universe works in mysterious ways. No matter the luck, good or bad, I wouldn’t trade her for anything.”

Silence sat between them. He had wondered why he’d been so lucky, yet at the same time, so very unlucky. He loved his wife with all his heart, but being married to a changeling came with certain… disadvantages. His current situation being one of them.

Yet, he felt he was more lucky than not, as his fur brushed against his faux wife. Spindle was a good friend and Roast found himself elated that Firefly managed to find one like her. He wondered if Spindle would one day consider him one as well. Goodness knew he and his wife needed more friends in common.

His thoughts were interrupted as Spindle stood.

“Well, I still don’t get it, but I feel like I’ve got at least a half day's love, right here.” She tapped her chest.

Roast puffed out his chest. “Maybe I’m just that good!”

Spindle rolled her eyes. “Sure, sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night.” Green flames surrounded her once more and a light gray mare with a darker gray mane and tail stood before him. She had purple eyes and a cutie mark of a blue feather crossing over a white one.

“Hm?” Roast hummed. “And who’s this?”

“An old disguise of mine. No one, pony or changeling, will recognize her. I used this girl,” she fluffed out her wings and readjusted her saddlebag straps, “in my trip over to Cincinneighti. You can call me Meadowlark.”

He grinned. “Well, Meadowlark, you think my love is enough to cross mountain tops?”

“Ugh.” She rolled her eyes. “How does she put up with you?”

“It’s my dashing good looks, obviously.” Getting The Look from her was nearly as exciting and amusing as it was with Firefly.

“Uh huh,” she said and crouched low. “Hurry up and get on before I decide to leave you behind.”


Roast slipped off Spindle’s back, taking care to avoid her saddlebags. She’d set down a couple kilometers outside of town and he needed no explanation. It would be rather strange to see a pegasus hauling an earth pony around. As the air around them settled, his nose scrunched at the smell of old-fashioned body odor.

“By the way, we kinda stink,” Roast said and sniffed his own pits. “Should we stop somewhere first?”

“Nope!” Spindle shook her head as she trotted on. Roast caught up to her and she continued, “That’s actually a good thing. If a pair of strangers came from an overnight walk, it would seem odd if they were clean and showered, don’t you think?”

“Huh.” He tilted his head. “I didn’t think of that.”

She gave him a smile. “And that’s why you have a trained individual like me. Which, by the way, I’m your hiking buddy and we made our way from Appleoosa.”

Roast tilted his head the other way and raised an eyebrow. “A pegasus that likes to hike? That’s not odd?”

Spindle shrugged. “We had worse covers in training. Turns out ponies are willing to accept strange things if you spin it right.”

“I suppose so.” Roast let silence reign until the two crossed some train tracks and entered Dodge Junction proper. On the edge of town sat the train station. He followed Spindle up and barely tuned in to her buying tickets. He turned his sights to the little community.

There was a long strip of several dozen houses and businesses on either side of the road. For the relatively-few buildings, there seemed to be quite a few ponies about so early. He figured it must be a farming town thing. It came to him that he’d ordered Dodge Junction cherries on more than one occasion.

Then, it suddenly hit Roast that the cafe must have been closed for days, if not weeks.

His shoulders deflated at the thought.

He missed the hustle and bustle of the long days. He missed the customers and the coffee tasting. But most of all, he missed her. They were going to see her again, but… he closed his eyes as it hit him.

“Hey,” Spindle came up beside him, stuffing a couple tickets in her saddlebags. Her voice lowered to a more gentle tone. “What’s going on?”

Roast tried to give her a smile, but found it wouldn’t come. “I, uh, realized we can’t go back.”

“Back?” Spindle scrunched her brows. “What do you mean?”

“To Hoofington. To the cafe. They’ll be—”

Spindle cleared her throat. “Excuse me, dry mouth.” She put a little kiss on the side of his head and whispered, “We shouldn’t talk about that now. Sorry. For everything.”

He forced a shaky smile on his face as she pulled back. “I, uh, love you too.”

Maybe another time he might have been offended by her snort. “Mhm,” Spindle said as she stood. “The train will be here in a little under half an hour and we’ll be in Ponyville later this evening. I’ve got food already,” she tapped a wing on her saddlebags, “so I’m gonna get some water for the trip.”

Roast tried to look happy as she walked away. A tiny part of him wanted — needed — to follow her, to be close to her, but he shoved the strange feeling away. Instead, he sat back and tried not to think of the cafe that was wrested away from him. He tried to think of Firefly. Of what it would be like to be with her again. How she always knew what to do.

He hoped she still did.

Author's Note:

Sorry, no art this time around. I've been wanting to find another artist or two to diversify the art styles, but I've been so busy with life that I haven't made much progress on that bit. Mayhaps next chapter tho! Or mayhaps not. Who knows!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the chapter and thanks so much for reading. Stay amazing and have a wonderful weekend.

Comments ( 14 )

Yay a new chapter~

Hope returns. Happy day. All the other massive hurtles are something I can handle with the spectre of hope now present

Ah, the return of Meadowlark!

"A pegasus that likes to hike?" What if Spindle removed her wings from her Meadowlark disguise?

Edit: What if someone does recognize Meadowlark? Like one of the ponies that was on the train back in chapter 1 or 2?

Personally, I hope he never gets back with Firefly after she abandoned him and left him to die. But I know with the way these types of stories goes he more than likely will. Ah well.

11871349
Why? She fought for him until she got brainwashed. Although if she saw him now, she might snitch, so maybe it’s best saved for later.

11871349
Under the influence of a loooooot of indoctrination, plus effectively having her emotions towards him suppressed by highly invasive magical means.
It wasn't exactly a well-reasoned decision, and she certainly is in no state currently to make a decision on it that would count as her own free will, without breaking off those two massive influences first.

This remains the story I am always most excited to see a new chapter for. I just love the entire premise of all this. Please keep it up!

bkam #8 · 3 weeks ago · · ·

With rapt attention, he watched her flip around and gently flutter down. He wiggled to get on his hooves and say hello, but as he surfaced, he felt a hoof shove him back down. His brows furrowed. She didn’t want to see him? Then he smiled again as he remembered. His wife must have had a good reason.

She always did.

Starting off with both adorableness, and a reminder of why I want to introduce Chrysalis to the wonderful world of Napalm and White Phosphorus. Also, I don't quite think that is Firefly.

His face scrunched up. That word didn’t seem very happy. Something about it felt off. He didn’t like that feeling. Instead, he filled his mind with thoughts of his pretty wife. Firefly would always be there to take the bad words away.

Yeah, I really want Chrysalis to burn.

“Okay, alright. Stop,” she said and he happily pulled back. “Roast, I need you to listen to me. You’re being held in the changeling hive. You and Firefly were taken. Do you understand?”

Hello Spindle, it's great to have you with us.

His wife grinned a strange grin and came close. She put a hoof up to his cheek. “Roast, when you’re awake… please forgive me?”

Oh no :twilightsheepish:

He nuzzled into her hoof. “Anything for you.”

She took a deep breath. “You say that now…” She pulled her hoof back. “Stand still and close your eyes.”

With a nod, he happily did so.

And stars filled his vision.

:rainbowlaugh:

Nothing like a little blunt force trauma to the head to clear up any brainwashing.

“Spindle?” He narrowed his eyes as she helped him shakily sit up. “From… Hoofington, Spindle?” His wife’s pretty face was stained with— No… what? She’s not Firefly. “What am I— what’s going on?”

I'm super happy to have Fine Roast back.

He rolled his eyes and pointed a hoof to his still-throbbing cheek. “Then why didn’t you do this after you got me out of here?!”

She stared for a moment, then flicked her eyes down before closing them. Her shoulders slowly began to slump. A huff came from her nose as she shook her head.

Unfortunately, Fine Roast does kinda have a point.

“Where are you going?” He asked as he ran the towel along his mane.

“To get wet.” A nervous smile crossed her face. “Try not to be too… emotive while I’m gone,” she said, before opening the door and leaving.

Well this ought to be interesting.

‘Why’ is what he really wanted to know. Was Firefly really that special to her?

I'd say she is.

And slammed into a boulder with a flurry of black feathers.

Roast stared wide eyed at Spindle’s red claw, then to the bird dripping blood onto the sand. Fear washed down his back at Spindle's same wide-eyed stare and pinpricks of pupils at the unmoving bird. He rushed to her side. “Spindle!” he whispered. “We have to go! Guards have to hear that and feel me!”

Things just got very real.

Spindle chuckled. “That’s easy. I don’t really know what to do when I’m with girls that way, even though I was trained for it. Mares make me feel all… squiggly and squirmy inside. Enbies kinda do that a little too. Early on in training, I decided to choose stallions because then I can emotionally distance myself from them.”

That actually seems like a pretty good idea.


That cave scene was equal parts wholesome and adorable.

11871388
I agree. It’s not even close.

11871388
11871414
Aww jeez, you're making me blush. Well, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that next chapter will be the longest chapter so far.

Thank you for the comments. They're always very much appreciated. :heart: :twilightsmile:

11871413
It's been a bit since we had any kind of cute, adorableness, or fluff. Who says escape chapters have to be completely gritty and super serious?

11872151
Fair enough, I'm glad that you went with that option, it certainly makes things less stressful for us readers.

Absolutely in love with the world you have built for us! When I read the first chapter I knew I couldn't put it down. ^^.

His eyes opened and he fought his frustration back down. “Right. Happy… happy thoughts.” He nearly jerked back as green flames engulfed her, leaving a facsimile of his pony wife in her place.

Happy happy joy joy...

Login or register to comment