• Published 18th Jun 2020
  • 5,666 Views, 738 Comments

Unending Love - Azure Notion



After trials and heartache, Firefly, undercover changeling love collector and wife, received a wonderful and joyous gift. But what will happen when the inevitable fallout of the failed Canterlot invasion reaches her home?

  • ...
9
 738
 5,666

Act II ~ Chapter 15

“Spindle? Is everything okay?” Firefly sniffled as she leaned out of Spindle’s embrace. For the briefest of moments, she saw a thousand meter stare and felt flecks of some kind of distress slip from her.

A tiny gasp broke the moment as Spindle’s eyes refocused on Firefly. “Oh! Yes, I’m sorry. I just—I realized that if both you and Roast are here, what’s happened to the cafe? I know I wasn’t there for long, but even I loved visiting it. And you, of course. Since, you know, you’re kinda the reason I’d go at all.”

Firefly took a deep, shaky breath. She clenched her eyes and tried to compose herself. “I, uh… I don’t really… know? I guess if I’m being honest, I’m more than a little afraid for it.” She wiped her snout with her unchained hoof. Her mind chose again to remind her of the endless, terrible possibilities for the beloved building. “It’s not like the cleanup crews have a reason to care what happens to it. As long as it doesn’t hurt anypony or reveal us, they could have burned it down, for all I know.”

“Hey, now!” Spindle set her hoof onto Firefly’s restrained foreleg. “I very much doubt they’d do that. It would draw too much attention. And besides, I’m sure once the queen hears your story, you’ll be able to go back.”

Firefly rolled her eyes and snorted, but merely managed to blow a glob of mucus out. “Ugh, yuck.” She reached up a hoof to cover her now-very-unsightly muzzle.

“Here, hold on.” Spindle opened one side of her saddlebags, then the other. Her face lit up as she magicked out a few dining napkins.

“Thanks.” Firefly wiped her face and blew her nose before tossing the napkins aside. She looked back to Spindle and huffed. “See, the thing is, I’m not stupid. I have no doubt the queen’s already heard my story. She's already heard of Roast and Aura and why my crystals are so dense. She’s probably heard it a dozen times.

“And I get it,” she continued. “I broke changeling code and told a pony, my source and husband, who already knew his wife wasn’t what she seemed. But I also don’t get it! Why does she need to hear it another time from you cronies?!”

Firefly glared out to the two guards beyond the bars. “Maybe I’m not as cunning and clever as an infiltrator, but I was trained well. No other caretaker had more than one extra guard nor got locked in the cell with me.” She jerked a head to the nearby guard. “Now we get three when, coincidentally, a friend of mine shows up? Five if you count those out in the hall? Barring the one other pony that figured out who I was, why am I still in here instead of harvesting the best bucking love the hive has ever seen?!”

Firefly nearly snarled across the table to the unflinching guards outside. She couldn’t keep the tremble from her jaw and felt the tears stinging at the corners of her eyes. She drew another deep breath, the habit from training doing nothing to calm her utter helplessness.

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Spindle moving closer. Firefly let out a huff and turned back to her friend, a hoof held up. “No. It’s—it’s okay. I’m sorry.”

“Oh. Alright. I thought you might want…” Spindle trailed off.

“I know. And thank you. It’s just that the days have kinda blurred together. A week here? Maybe two since I left Hoofington?” She took another equally-useless deep inhale, held, then released a few seconds later. “One minute I’m wondering when the collector meeting is going to end so I can get back to Roast for a walk through the park and then shopping for… bread and—and cheese! The next minute, I’m being shipped off back to the hive with the only term of endearment being ‘traitor.’”

Spindle bowed her head. “I’m sorry to hear that. That was wrong of them to say.”

“Yeah.” Firefly huffed. “And the changeling who led me back? Clypeus? Coxa? Capitate? I don’t remember, but I really hope I never see him again. I don’t particularly appreciate getting a hoof to the face for not wanting to be paraded around like a housebroken mutt.”

“What?!” Spindle drew back, her eyes growing wide. “He hit you?”

Firefly reached up and tapped her cheek. “Yep, right there. Knocked me straight to the ground. After I finally gave in, he nearly choked me with the leash more than once.”

“Have you told anyling about this?” Spindle’s eyes darted all across Firefly’s face and neck. “There’s no way that’s okay, even with a supposed traitor!”

“And who’s going to care? The guards? An advisor?” Firefly snorted. “The stars-damned queen herself? If she actually gave a buck, she’d have—”

“That is enough!” A deep growl came from beyond the bars and one of the guards stepped closer. "I will not tolerate you speaking of Queen Chrysalis that way.” He turned to Spindle. “I believe you have a job to do. The other cell is waiting.” Keys were levitated out and into the door, before he pulled it open.

“Uh, sure.” Spindle stood and gave Firefly a little smile. “Things are going to be alright. I’m sure of it. We’ll talk after you’re out of here, okay?”

Firefly faced the table and stared down at her meal. “Yeah. Sure.”

“It was really good seeing you again, and it—” the guard cleared his throat and tapped a hoof on the floor. Spindle began her way to the door. “—and it won’t be the last time. I promise.”

Firefly looked up at her friend and managed a tiny smile through her frustration. “Yeah,” she repeated. “I’ll see you later.”

As she magicked up the spoon and toyed with her cold oatmeal, the cell door clanged shut. She glanced up and caught sight of the angry guard and Spindle’s tails retreating around the corner.

The other guard outside, however, caught her eye. They’d kept a cool, expressionless face the entire conversation, but now it was… softer? Their eyes didn’t quite hold the chill they once did and the corners of their mouth seemed to be turned up the tiniest bit. Firefly scrunched her eyeridges and locked eyes. Was it pity? Sadness? Understanding?

Firefly couldn’t tell. She broke from the gaze at the sound of hoofsteps coming back. Her eyes went back to her still-surprisingly lavish meal.

Bringing up a spoonful of oatmeal, she hummed a tiny hum at the sweet food and wondered if the extraordinary meal was some sort of tactic. Her first thought was that they’d set Spindle up with a nice meal to give her. Except they had to know Spindle had no idea she was even here. Either that or Spindle was an exceptional actress and a true mastermind.

Firefly snorted. As mean as it sounded, Spindle wasn’t even close to either of those things.

Her second thought, as she maneuvered some cheese toast around her fangs and chomped, was that they were buttering her up. Trying to make her think they were on her side and had her best interests at heart. But that was silly as well. What would it gain? A dropping of her guard? The only thing Firefly was waiting for was to try and convince the queen. Guarding herself was pointless, as there were but two outcomes.

Either Her Majesty allowed the relationship or… she didn’t. And there would be no convincing Firefly that Fine Roast wasn’t the right option. Queen Chrysalis had to know that.

She huffed. A small, wry smile grew across her face as a morbid thought crept into her mind. Perhaps she was overthinking. Maybe this was a prisoner’s last meal. She’d heard of those who were so far gone, so irredeemable, that death was the only choice. In Equestria, it was a myth. A legend among the Land of Second Chances.

In the hive? There was always a first for everything.

Shaking the thought free of her head, she popped the last bite of toast into her mouth and chewed it down. Firefly swallowed and turned her eyes to the love crystal. With the leftovers from her time with Roast nearly dried up, the fresh hunger she hadn’t felt in several long years was a stark reminder of how little the hive changelings got now. These weren’t even half of a normal meal from before she’d graduated training.

A sigh escaped her at the meager share and she apathetically took in a nibbling wisp.

And her world came to a tumbling halt.

She barely heard her own gasp. The rich, wonderful, familiar flavor flowed through her and her mind was instantly filled with thoughts of him. The love was muted, dulled, but it was unmistakably his and tasted far better than any other crystal she’d ever had.

After a long moment, she broke her gaze with the emptied crystal and looked past the bars. “This—this was one of…”

“What?” the guard that had scolded her asked. “You’ve never had one of your own before?”

She shook her head. “I’ve never needed it. Roast was always… enough. I knew they were different, but I had no idea they tasted like—like this.”

“Wait a second,” the guard within the cell butted in. “Your source was the reason those exist?”

Firefly glanced over at her bewildered look. “Uhh, yes? Were you not paying attention to the conversation?”

The changeling next to her pursed her lips and furrowed an eyeridge at the ceiling. “Uhm… I don’t think I zoned out. I don’t remember that part. But damn. I’d give the queen my inert left ovary if it meant we could get more.”

A deep inhale came from outside the cell and Firefly looked to see the first guard deadpanning at the other. Just as deep an exhale followed. “Vertex?”

“Yes, sir?” The nearby guard responded.

“For your own sake, please be quiet.”

“Y-yes, sir.”


Firefly laid back in the cell bed and traced her eyes along the lines of anti-magic runes. Or rather, that’s what she presumed they were. As harrowing a day that it was, she longed for Hoofington’s cells. At least there she’d only had to suffer half a day of boredom after the mind-numbing anxiety of being detained.

Here, she had no such luxury. Night after night, morning after morning, her only companion was the growing nothingness of the hive’s bureaucracy. Spindle’s obviously-staged visit was a wonderful detractor from the monotony of waiting for the queen’s decision. Except that had been hours ago. She considered asking if the guards had heard back about her request for a book, but with the last two responses of ‘we’ll look into it,’ Firefly doubted she’d get anything besides being labeled as an annoyance.

Halfway through tracing the center rune's incomprehensible squiggles, the faint clopping of hooves on carved stone reached her. She kept an ear pointed to the hall, but she couldn’t keep a tiny sigh from escaping. She hadn’t taken notice that day, but figured the prison must’ve been quite out of the way. Few and far between were the sounds of hoofsteps, and they’d usually pass by to some other destination.

The hoofsteps grew louder and her ears perked up as they seemed to resonate down the prison’s little corridor.

“Good afternoon, ma’am!” Firefly heard a guard say, along with the sound of shuffling armor.

“Afternoon. Open the door, please,” the apparently-important changeling replied. Keys jingling and a lock thunking followed a few seconds later. “Thank you.”

Firefly sat up and looked over to the two posted guards just as another walked into sight and faced her. A familiar scent of pheromones passed through her nose and she noticed the visitor had the same insignia as the high-ranked guard who led her down that first night. Firefly still appreciated them standing up for her and sparing her the indignity of being led to the prison on a leash.

“Hello, Firefly,” the familiar-yet-unknown guard said, “I trust your lunch was satisfactory?”

Firefly stood and shuffled in front of her. “Erm, hello.” Firefly rarely bothered much beyond a glance at whomever would address her, but most hardly did more than grunt at her about meal time. This changeling had at least earned a bit more respect. “Do you mean breakfast? Because I did appreciate the company this morning.”

The guard narrowed her eyes at Firefly for a short second before turning to another. “Are you serious? No caretaker has been down to provide a mid-day meal? That should have happened an hour ago!”

“Erm, no ma’am.” A posted guard shook his head. “Noling has been down since the fill-in cleaned the cell earlier.”

A few twitches graced the visitor’s eyes. “I… see. I’ll have to have a conversation with a particular advisor.” She turned back to Firefly. “I apologize. I would send someone to track down why your lunch has been delayed, but I’m afraid there’s little time for that. The queen is ready to see you.”

A heavy heat settled into her stomach. “I see. Should I, uhh, face the wall?”

“No. We will be escorting you as is. I trust you’ll behave yourself.” She stepped back and looked to another guard. “Unlock the cell.”

“Yes, ma’am.” The guard magicked a key into the door. A clunk and it swung open.

“Vespa, Vertex,” The high rank turned to each of the guards posted outside the cell, “take up the rear.” She faced Firefly again as they took their places. “Step out of the cell between myself and the other two.”

Firefly swallowed the lump rising in her throat and did as she was told. The guard walked towards the entrance and stopped at the barred door.

“Lieutenant Labrum,” Firefly’s escort called and the guard posted outside the prison turned. “Please open the door again. And, Labrum,” she said as the lieutenant began to do so. “Remain behind and wait for the caretaker. Instruct them to perform a full cleaning. After they’re finished, lock up everything and report back to your captain for further assignment.”

“Yes, ma’am!”

Without another word, they continued out and down the main corridor. Despite the relatively slow trot, Firefly fought a losing battle to keep her heart calm. It had been so long since she’d been arrested and branded a traitor. So long since she’d been told the queen would decide her fate. So long had she been waiting for the chance to reunite with her love.

But what if Her Majesty said no? What would she do? What could she do?

The questions had been whispering, cloying, horrifying thoughts from that very first day. Even as she walked on to that final moment, she had no idea if there even was an answer. The very idea of losing everything terrified her and sent spike after spike of dread from the tip of her horn down to the pit of her stomach.

What if Queen Chrysalis refused? How could Firefly be expected to just move on to another source after this? Would they even let her? Or would they shove her into some corner to eke out a meager use from her broken heart?

Firefly tried to breathe deep, but she found the air wouldn’t stay inside.

What if she couldn’t even manage that? Everyling had to be productive. They couldn’t afford to support useless changelings. Would they send her away? They couldn’t. It would be too risky. And if she couldn’t be useful and she couldn’t be sent away, what options were there? The queen had to know. She had to know that Firefly wouldn’t—couldn’t—live without him. She had to. And if she knew…

They were going to kill her.

She was going to die. Her eyes squeezed shut as tears built. Breaths came faster and faster. They wouldn’t stop.

She couldn’t die. Not yet. What would that do to Roast? What about their cafe? Or Spindle? Or Aura? No. No no no. No! She couldn’t die! She—

“Firefly!”

Firefly’s eyes snapped open and flicked to so many others. A dozen, two dozen eyes all focused on her. Changelings from nearby tunnels crowded around, staring, waiting for their chance.

“Firefly.” The lead guard gently cupped Firefly’s cheeks and turned Firefly to meet her eyes. “Breathe. You’re having a panic attack. It’s going to be okay, but you need to breathe.”

She managed a tiny shake of her head. Her tongue was made of lead. She felt her legs move back and away, but her rear hooves clacked against something hard, solid, immovable.

They were here for her. They were going to take her! She couldn’t!

The guard followed Firefly’s eyeline behind her. “Dammit. Everyone who isn’t one of my guards, leave.” Noling seemed to listen. “Get the buck out! Now!”

She had to get out. She had to. But she couldn’t. If she fled like the others, they’d get her. They’d kill her. But she had to get—

“Firefly.” She found the leader looking at her again. “It’s okay. You’re going to be okay. Here. Sit down. They turned to the four armored changelings. Weren’t there two? Why are they here? “Make sure noling else comes down this way. Direct them to another hall.”

Only then had Firefly noticed the hot tears spilling down her cheek. “P-puh… plea—”

“Hush now. You’re going to be okay.” She took Firefly’s hoof in her own and gently stroked it. “Focus on breathing. In… and out. In…” The hoof trailed up her fetlock, “and out.” And trailed back down.

Firefly tried, but her body didn’t want to listen. She shut her eyes tight. Her chest wouldn’t let her breathe right. It heaved and shuddered. “Please. Please… I don’t want to die.”

“Shhh.” The hoof holding hers gave a soft squeeze. “You’re not going to die. That’s not why you’re here.”

She shook her head and looked at the blurry changeling in front of her. “You’re going to take him. I can’t. I need him. He needs me.”

“Things are going to be okay. You have no idea how much time your queen has spent on you. You have no idea how much she cares for each of us. For you. She understands. You need to trust her.”

“How? H-how do you know?”

The guard sat back with a little grin and snorted. “You don’t know who I am, do you?”

Firefly shook her head.

“Collectors…” she rolled her eyes with a smile and a low, calm voice. “I swear, once you lot leave the hive, you forget everything about it.” She tapped her guard insignia. “This is a special rank. There’s only one of them.”

Firefly barely managed to stifle her gasp. “General?”

She nodded. “General Elytra, specifically. It’s alright, you’re not the first Equestria-based ‘ling to forget, and you won’t be the last. After all, it’s not as if there’s a grueling, multi-year training occupying your all’s minds before you’re thrown to another nation.

“As for how I know how much effort Queen Chrysalis has put into you?” she chuckled. “Well, the queen’s military and guard advisor usually likes to be kept up to date with those in her prison.”

“How, um, how much has she…?” Firefly felt her hoof be set back down.

“That’s something I imagine you can ask her.” General Elytra stood. “Do you think you’re ready?”

Firefly began to nod, but paused halfway through and shook her head. “Could I, maybe, have a couple more minutes?”

“Of course. I’ll be right here.” She trotted a meter away and stood against the same wall.

After a few seconds, Firefly said, “Um, General Elytra?”

“Hm?” She hummed with a gentle smile.

“Thank you.” Firefly bowed her head and gave what she hoped was a grateful look.

Elytra stepped closer and set a hoof on Firefly’s shoulder. “I can imagine what you’re going through. After all,” she put her hoof down and her voice lowered ever so slightly, “there’s a reason I was put in the guard.”

Firefly scrunched her brow. “What? What do you mean?”

“Perhaps I’ll tell you another time. This isn’t really the place for a history lesson.”

Firefly nodded and looked back to the floor. With a few more of her signature deep, calming breaths, she began to feel the anxiety drain from a roaring river to a trickling stream.

“I think I’m ready.” Firefly swallowed, before she shakily got to her hooves.

“Excellent. Guards! Return and take your positions.” General Elytra trotted back to the center of the hall and faced Firefly. “We’ll take it slow. If you need to stop, just speak up. Though, contrary to popular belief, the queen does actually have a schedule, and it’s not as empty as one might expect. Don’t feel bad, though.” A smirk spread across her face. “Her great majesty’s agenda could use a bit of a shakeup every now and then.”

Firefly smiled what felt like a weak little smile as the general began her slow walk. She tried her best to hide her emotions before taking her place behind the general. The group moved on with her in the middle and she tried to process what happened.

She’d never met General Elytra before, nor any other general, and this was not exactly what she would have expected. Rough, scarred, hardass, and scowling were more adjectives she’d instinctively thought a general would be. But gentle, caring, and compassionate? Those were far from her vision of a changeling military leader.

Thinking back to her pre-collector days, she’d only seen or heard Elytra’s name mentioned offhoofed a dozen or so times. Firefly couldn’t help but think there had been another general when she was in primary education, learning about the different castes and their leaders. How new was she? Advisors served for as long as they were useful and often were sent to be an educator after their time was up.

Or they were relegated to the short life of an elderly ‘ling if they’d reached that age.

As they turned downward into a vertical tunnel, Firefly’s mind began sifting through the last… she hummed quietly at the realization that she had no idea how long her panic had lasted.

Panic.

In the kitchen on that rainy day, the evening of her release, she learned that anxiety was an every-day thing for Aura. The poor mare was no stranger to panic attacks. They were something she had no control over. Now, Firefly had more sympathy for her than ever before.

No. Firefly gave a small shake of her head. I think I can call it empathy now. At least a tiny slice of it.

She did not envy her friend. Not at all. And as she thought about exactly who she was heading to see, she couldn’t help but hope that Aura was far, far away from her and the hive. As they exited onto the lowest level, the royal level, Firefly resolved to fight for Refined Aura as much as she would for Fine Roast. That wonderful mare didn’t deserve this fate.

Firefly began to wonder how many of the ponies in cocoons mere hundreds of meters away really did.

Before she could entertain what was certainly a slippery slope to actual treason and existential dread, a single set of doors emerged into view.

The throne room.

Firefly took a deep breath and only barely finished exhaling by the time they stopped in front of those looming double doors.

“Ma’am!” The pair of guards flanking either side saluted.

“Afternoon.” She returned the salute. “The queen is still inside?”

“Yes, ma’am. It’s been silent since you left.”

General Elytra nodded. “Very good.” She turned to Firefly. “Wait here for a moment.” Without waiting for a response, she pulled open the doors and passed through. A brief glimpse of columns and torches were all Firefly could make out before her sight was cut off.

Firefly closed her eyes and breathed. She could only hope what the general had told her was true. She had to believe it. It was the only thing keeping her afloat.

Fine Roast crossed her mind. She tried to entertain thoughts of him, of what she’d say to convince the queen. Convince her of the virtue of their relationship, but they were all blurry and indistinct. All the arguments she’d prepared since leaving Hoofington had drifted well beyond her grasp.

The doors opened again and out stepped General Elytra. She closed them and faced Firefly. “Do you remember your royal etiquette?”

“I think so? Though, it has been a while.”

“Right. It’s simple.” Elytra nodded. “Walk to the dais, give a single bow, and wait for her to address you. She’s a little particular about being called ‘your majesty’ too much, so try to limit the honorifics a bit. Use ma’am if you feel you must.” Elytra began to turn before she paused and glanced back. “Oh, and please don’t make the nymphish mistake of calling her ‘highness.’ She’s not a princess.”

“I at least know that one. But, thank you.”

“Right.” Elytra nodded again and reached a hoof to one of the doors. “A guard inside will tell you to enter shortly.”

Firefly watched her enter and managed a single more calming breath before the throne room reopened a few moments later.

“Firefly?” A guard’s eyes landed on her. “The queen will see you now.”

She steeled herself as best as she could, then entered through the held door.

It had been many years since she’d been in the throne room; not since she was a nymph on what ponies might have called a ‘field trip.’ It was as bright as she remembered, a far cry from the prison or its halls. Along the floor, leading directly to the dais, were intricate grooves.

Her eyes drew further along and alighted on the throne. Seated on it was Queen Chrysalis, the royal gaze reflected back on Firefly. She averted her eyes and looked to the queen’s right. One step down the dais stood General Elytra. Firefly nearly sent a smile to her, but caught it before she could make a fool of herself.

Along the wall further left was a changeling at a small desk with a quill and paper. The scribe, Firefly assumed. Trailing her eyes to the queen’s left found another changeling, similarly a single step down.

Firefly’s nose nearly crinkled as she realized the queen’s pheromones were the only ones she could smell. She felt a bout of self-consciousness flush over her at her own active glands. Should I have shut them? General Elytra didn’t say anything, so I hope not?

Finally, her musings were cut short as she reached the dais’s bottom step. Firefly bowed low, and raised back up to meet her queen’s gaze.

“Firefly,” Queen Chrysalis began. “Before we begin, I understand there was a small issue on the way here.”

“Yes, your majesty. I apologize for the—”

“I am not concerned with what scene may have been caused, nor any ‘disturbance’ to others in the hive. Firefly,” Chrysalis said, her voice taking a far softer tone than Firefly would have ever expected, “are you okay?”

Firefly stood and stared. During the visit to the throne room as a nymph, she and many other nymphs had met the queen. It was the last and only time she’d been in direct company of the royal changeling and she distinctly remembered it as what she envisioned a stereotypical royal interaction as. The queen had given a summary of her duties and answered a few questions.

Never had Firefly thought of her as ‘motherly.’

“Firefly?”

“Oh! Uh, yes, your majesty. General Elytra was very kind and allowed me to recover.” Half a second later she remembered her manners. “And, uhm, thank you for asking.” Firefly gave a bow of her head.

“I’m glad. If there is something I care about above all else, it is the wellbeing of my changelings. There will come a point where I will have to return you to your duties and be unable to offer you much. Until then, for today, please do not feel afraid to take a moment should such a thing occur again.”

Firefly nodded and tried desperately to keep confusion from leaking out of her heart. “Thank you, ma’am.”

Queen Chrysalis nodded and stayed silent for a few, long seconds. “Now, to begin with, these are… quite the set of circumstances that have led you before me. Some of these have irked me greatly. I shall let my advisor, Odonata, say his piece before I continue.”

“Thank you, your Majesty,” the changeling to the queen’s left said as he stepped forward. “Firefly, my name is Odonata, and I am the queen’s infiltrator advisor.”

It took a great deal of effort to keep the worry from painting Firefly’s face.

“It had come to my attention that parts of this situation were… mishandled. I’d like to first apologize for the way one of my infiltrators behaved and I would like to thank you for mentioning it this morning. The changeling by the name of ‘Coxa’ is currently out on a mission, but is being recalled due to his exceptionally inappropriate treatment and use of force against you.”

“Odonata,” Queen Chrysalis said. “Do not mince words.”

A tiny huff escaped the advisor and he offered a small bow of his head to Queen Chrysalis. “Of course, my queen. Apologies. What I mean to say, Firefly, is I apologize that he hit you—punched you—in your cheek. He had no authority nor reason to do so, nor did he have any right to treat you as a common pony pet on your travels here. When he returns, he will be given appropriate punishment and reeducation. Again, I apologize for what you’ve been subjected to.”

Silence reigned for several seconds before the queen spoke again, “Thank you, Odonata. You may leave.”

“Of course, majesty.” Odonata turned to Queen Chrysalis, bowed, and stepped away from the throne to a door near the back.

Firefly was unsure what to feel. The queen forcing an apology to her felt… off. Why was she being treated so well? There was nothing to gain from a young collector’s favor. Why the show if she was going to have her husband returned to her? Why the mercy if she wasn’t? Her eyes wanted to narrow, her brow offered twitches into a furrow, but as the door clicked behind Odonata and the queen’s gaze alighted on her once more, she stuffed the feelings deep and away.

“We are too few and spread far too thin to allow that kind of nonsense infighting,” The queen puffed a great lungful from her nostrils. Firefly couldn’t help but notice as her tail twitched back and forth on the throne before settling. “I hold my advisors to a higher standard and they ought to know to keep their changelings from committing such ridiculousness.”

Queen Chrysalis’s face softened as she continued, “Discounting what you have done for the moment, right or wrong, I do apologize for what you went through as you were brought back. Odonata and my other advisors have been informed with no uncertainty that acts such as this are to be reserved for escalation of force, not simple disagreements.”

Firefly felt there was little to do but nod. “Um, thank you, your majesty.”

Queen Chrysalis offered a nod in return. “Now, to return to the beginning, and why we are here at all, it is quite the set of circumstances that led you to my throne today. Your name has been traded a great deal between myself and my advisors. There were many calls for action, but when I heard the first report from the infiltrator team assigned to you, I knew there was something… off. That something didn’t quite fit. Though, you already know what it was, as it was you who lived it.”

A breath forced its way down Firefly’s throat as she tried to stay calm and under control. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Except… even after the survey finished and I was given the full report, I wasn’t satisfied. For a ruler of a species such as us, do you know what the most important resource is?”

Firefly’s eyeridges did furrow this time and she thought. Immediately one pony, a friend, came to mind. “Secrecy?”

A small smile came to the queen’s face and she shook her head. “Not quite, though that is important, to a degree. No, for a changeling queen, information is key. Or rather, accurate information.”

Firefly couldn’t help but wonder if that was why everything went to tartarus in Canterlot all those months back. If she were a more bold and brash ‘ling, perhaps she would have asked. But her focus had to be kept on one thing, and one thing only.

“By the way, did you enjoy your breakfast this morning?”

“Erm, yes, I did. Thank you?” Firefly winced at her own awkwardness.

Chrysalis gave a short laugh. “You’re welcome. I thought you may appreciate it after the last eight days stuck in that cell. I have to say, it was quite interesting to see such camaraderie between collectors. It’s very clear that Spindle cares for you a great deal.”

Firefly nodded. “Yes, your majesty, she and I were quite close back… in…” Firefly fought to keep her eyes from growing wide. See? She could only stare and begin to blush as a small smirk formed on Chrysalis’s lips. Oh, buck me.

“Indeed, as you’ve likely come to the conclusion. Information is key. I wanted to see and hear for myself, though I didn’t quite expect it would bear the fruit it did. This morning was more than enough confirmation for the ‘crony’ that I am. And thus here you are.”

A chill went through Firefly’s back and into her legs. She couldn’t decide if apologizing was expected. She forced her hooves still and decided to instead ask, “Confirmation, your majesty?”

“Before I inherited this hive from my mother, would you care to guess what my very first profession, my first caste, was?

Firefly fought down the frustration at the lack of answer and constant run-around. Why does it matter?! Am I going to receive a judgment, or my husband?! She settled for a single grind of her teeth.

“I’m… not sure. Infiltrator?”

The queen huffed with a wry smile. “While I did later become an infiltrator to even out my skillset, no. It was not my first.”

She narrowed her eyes ever so slightly. “You were a collector?”

Chrysalis nodded. “Indeed I was. Over a century and a half ago, I stepped my first hoof into Equestria. I believe you’d find this amusing. Nearly seven years ago, in Manehatten, you replaced your very first source’s wife, did you not?”

“I did, yes.”

Chrysalis nodded. “As did I. We were both quite the foolish collectors, thinking we could take on the world.”

Firefly nearly shook her head. She may have been a little too cocky, but she never thought she could do any such thing. Young and stupid is what she thought of her old self, but not self-aggrandizing.

“Technology may have been different then,” Chrysalis continued, “but ponies remained much the same. Changelings, too, though our tactics did change and improve over the years. Similarly, my source held little difference from ponies today. She was a beautiful mare and a very talented musician, as was her wife. It was truly a shame the day she never got to play again.”

Chrysalis paused and stared beyond Firefly for a long moment. Right as Firefly was tempted to check what was behind her, the queen’s eyes drifted to Firefly’s again.

“As collectors,” Chrysalis’s voice became shockingly somber and Firefly reared her head back the barest centimeter, “there is one difference between you and I. Do you know what it was?”

Firefly could only shake her head.

“There is a pony saying that dates back as far as the first waxing poet: you never forget your first love.”

Silence filled the room and no amount of restraint could have kept Firefly’s eyes from shooting wide before narrowing at the mare seated above her. It couldn’t be. Queen Chrysalis knew what it was like! She knew! And yet she still had Firefly put through Tartarus and back. “Wait. How is that any different? If you were there this morning, then you know how I feel towards Fine Roast.”

A frown formed on the queen’s face. Firefly’s eyes were drawn to the queen’s right as General Elytra adjusted her hooves. Firefly found an eyeridge raised in disappointment and yet couldn’t bring herself to care.

“Firefly,” Chrysalis hardened her voice, “only with the circumstances we find ourselves in do I allow your tone to pass. Do not forget your place.”

A huff and a grinding of teeth was held back before Firefly stoppered her emotions. “Yes, your majesty. I apologize.”

“We are different not because we both fell in love.” Chrysalis nearly growled. “We are different because of what happened after. My mother, my queen at the time, had yet to add the lesson you collectors now laugh and scoff at. It was taken for granted at the time, and for many centuries before, that changelings did not lay with ponies. Ponies were beneath us. They were food. We thought our hearts needed no guarding. Yet, much like ponies, we can do little when, unguarded, they are stolen.

“We are different not because we both hid how we felt nor because we had our hearts taken. We are different because when I revealed myself to Crystal Viola, she had the good sense to hate me. When she tried to flee, I subdued her. I placed her into a cocoon and she lived the rest of her days feeding the hive.”

Firefly couldn’t keep the scowl off her face. Hateful words flew through her mind and threatened to spill from her. She tried. She tried so very hard to stay silent, but her wounded heart refused.

“So since you couldn’t have yours, I can’t have mine either.”

“This is who we are, Firefly!” Chrysalis growled out and slammed a hoof down. “This is who we are forced to be, the way it must be!”

Firefly took the first step up to the throne. “It’s only that way because you decided it would be! I earned my love! I earned his love! And it is the best love this whole damn hive has ever seen! How bucking selfish are you to dare throw—”

“Yes,” Chrysalis stood and stomped down the platform, step by step, “I do dare. I dare, not because of the incredible love, but because you so naively return it.” She lowered her neck and looked straight into Firefly’s eyes. “You have no idea of the dangers you’re playing with.” Her horn lit, “Get off my dais.”

Firefly fell backwards and landed hard on her flanks. She shot to her hooves and tried to speak, but found her mouth wouldn’t open.

Chrysalis stood tall, her horn still lit. “Guards. Leave. Except for Elytra.” After a moment of shuffling and the throne room door closing behind Firefly, pity slowly won over the anger on Chrysalis’s face. “What I am about to say to you does not leave this room.” She glanced over her right shoulder. “The same for you, General Elytra. And Alary—” the changeling at the writing desk looked up “—this is not to be recorded.”

Firefly felt the pressure on her jaw release. Chrysalis huffed and seated herself back on the throne. “Long ago, the gryphons made themselves enemies of the ponies. Changelings remained hidden throughout the conflict, both in the hive and in plain sight. War, though…” The corner of Chrysalis’ mouth curved upward. “it has an amusing way of drawing a species together. It’s no longer about what pony might steal your crop or hijack a wagon, it’s about keeping those clawed bastards from doing the exact same.”

Firefly felt the anger diffuse to a simmer. In the back of her mind, she wondered why Chrysalis thought she could trust her.

“Ponies were far more lonely then, their relationships far less stable. Thus, those relations developed far faster. Those days made for easy pickings. Love flowed in the hive and hunger was a mere memory. The changeling species thrived.”

Chrysalis’s face turned dark. “But that made us just as complacent.

“It is unknown what sparked the disaster that followed. What is known is that the condition is… contagious. It spreads not through virus or bacteria, but through desire. It promises happiness and prosperity and other changelings hardly need convincing to join.”

Firefly’s eyeridges furrowed and her head pulled back in incredulity. How had she never heard of this? If it was such a big deal, why wasn’t it covered in training?

“Collectors began to love their ponies. They gave the love they’d collected back to those from whom they had taken. The records say it happened quickly. Across Equestria, within a week, over half its collectors succumbed. Within two weeks, half of the hive. Then three quarters. Their natural forms suddenly changed. No longer were their shells black and their eyes blue.

“No. They became a rainbow of chitin and ocelli and wings. Every one of them unique, just like the ponies they preyed upon. Except… they no longer hungered. Love was no longer necessary nor even an option. They could change into ponies and be among them without consequence. Without need of theft. For the first time since changelings were created, prosperity seemed to be on the horizon.”

Chrysalis’s darkness turned into a deep frown. “And they all died of starvation within a month.”

“What?” Firefly took a step back. “How? How have none of us heard this?”

“The ones dubbed ‘The Loveless’ were buried along with the very idea. Those who survived knew better and the queen recorded and preserved. Each passed it down from queen to princess, much like my mother did for me. Much like I shall do for my own.

"Ponies were no wiser and mourned. They watched their friends and loved ones grow progressively weaker, before one day dropping dead. The disease is contagious and spreads before it can be contained. Its promise of a hunger free life is too alluring for so many. Were the lesson to be kept, and its meaning ever twisted or forgotten, our hive may end as we know it."

Chrysalis's head rose, regal and imposing. “And so changelings changed once again. No longer could we be allowed to love. Love, for us, is nothing but a meal, to be consumed, but not experienced. Our cursed creators made sure of that.”

She stood from her throne. “You and I are different not because Crystal Viola hated me and Fine Roast loved you, but because I was lucky and you… were not.”

Not… not lucky? What does she— Ice ran down her back. She was. She really was going to— Firefly took a step back, then another. As she turned to flee, she felt her hooves seize as Chrysalis’s horn lit. “No!” Firefly shook her head and willed with all her might to leave the ground. “I can’t believe that! I’ve loved Roast for months. Nothing happened! I didn’t change, I still produce and need love!”

Chrysalis slowly stepped down each step. “I do not know how or why you have yet to trigger the transformation, nor why I did not. But for the sake of the hive, you cannot be allowed what you desire.” She came to a stop in front of Firefly and knelt down. “None of us can.”

Tears poured down Firefly’s cheeks. She looked away, to the general she had so trusted. The general that had betrayed her. But on the other mare’s face, Firefly found only confusion and concern.

“I do this, Firefly,” Chrysalis said, “not because I hate you, nor because you have what I could not, but because I love you. A changeling queen is nothing without her children and any queen that does not do all she can to protect them does not deserve the title.” She leaned down and rubbed her cheek along Firefly’s.

“Please. Don’t take him! Please!”

Chrysalis drew back and closed her eyes. “I know your pain… and I am truly sorry.” Eyes still shut, she tilted her head forward and Firefly felt the clack of the queen’s horn against hers.

A flash of green filled her vision and everything went dark.

Author's Note:

It's up. It's finally finally up.

This is the chapter I've been dying to show you since the very first word of Unending Love went up. Three years and some change and we're finally here. But don't worry, this is only the beginning. We still have another 25~ chapters to go!

As for Chapter 16, it's done and edited and ready to go! Shouldn't be more than a month, hopefully less. It's just waiting on, you guessed it, chapter art!

Speaking of chapter art, lookit that gorgeous art of Chrysalis and Firefly! Huge thanks for Maxiima for the absolutely awesome art. Go check out their stuff over here -> https://twitter.com/maximasmac

I'd actually debated whether to post chapter 15 when 16's art was closer to completion... but then I remembered. What's an Azure fic without at least a few weeks of cliffhanger?

You'll all also be happy to hear that my participation in NaNoWriMo went v well! It turns out this year was the year. The first year I finally met the goal! 52K words was the total, which got me up to chapter 20! Chapters 17 and 18 are awaiting edits and the first drafts of 19 and 20 are done, but are in the process of revision. Which means more frequent chapter updates! Horray!

As always you non-binary pals, guys, and gals, thank you so very much for reading. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday or non-holiday of your choice!