• Published 10th Dec 2019
  • 3,625 Views, 161 Comments

Cozy Chronicles - 5u0myn0n4



Cozy Glow, Tirek, and Chrysalis embark on an unlikely search for power, and purpose.

  • ...
7
 161
 3,625

PreviousChapters
The Last Ending Part 3 of 3 — All Together Now (The End)

That's a mouthful of a chapter title. It's the final chapter. It's been an honor writing this story for you all. Let's wrap this up.


Part 11

At the changeling hive, the head changelings were pacing anxiously, brainstorming what to do about their withering mother, Chrysalis.

"We're fighting a losing battle." Pharynx said.
"We've tried everything." Thorax bemoaned.
"I guess there isn't anything we can do to change the natural order..." Ocellus cried.

Nothing they can do to change the natural order that is.

*sob*

"You hear that?" Thorax asked.

They looked around the corner, and saw a little filly walking and crying.

"Amber?" Thorax asked.
"What are you doing back?" Pharynx asked.
*sniff* "I just wanted to see her one last time. Do you mind giving me some time alone with her?" Amber requested.
"Uh, but of course." Ocellus replied.
"Much obliged." Amber said.

The three changelings left the area, leaving Amber alone at the entrance to Chrysalis's chamber. The filly smirked, it was too easy getting them to leave.

"It's all clear!" she exclaimed.

Cozy Glow peaked her head through an opening leading outside, and crawled inside, and the armored pegasus met up with her sister.

Next, the entire side of the wall glowed red, and created an opening for Tirek to stomp inside and enter.

"Now, shh. Be quiet. Not only could we give ourselves away, we don't wanna create any sudden noises that could scare her into... a worse state." Amber said.

Amber opened the door and lead them into the chamber.


Cozy Glow, Tirek, and Amber slowly entered the chamber, and there she was. The former queen of the changelings, Chrysalis. They all gathered around to help their old pal. But was it already too late? She laid in the bed, wrinkly. Even worse than Amber had seen earlier that day.

"...So, what exactly is supposed to happen next?" Tirek asked.
"I don't know. I thought that just having our positive energy surround her would be enough awaken her." Amber said.

But unfortunately, simply having their energy standing idly wasn't cutting it.

"Well, it's a shame that friendship and wishful thinking isn't ever enough." Tirek scoffed.
"But there has to be something we can do. Think. How did Thorax and the rest of the changelings change forms? And why don't they need to "feed on love" any more?" Amber pondered.

Cozy thought back to the few lessons she learned at Twilight's school, in particular, the changeling course.

"I'm only going to say this once, but I wish I remembered what Twilight taught me in school." Cozy said.

While Cozy may not have retained any iota of knowledge from Twilight's school, Tirek seemed to recall something that might be of use.

"Well, there was this one time in Grogar's lair where Chrysalis may have given me a hint." Tirek said.
"What did she say?" Amber asked.
"She must've bemoaned for half the day about her hive and their transformation." Tirek explained.
"And then what?" Cozy asked.
"She told me how she watched friendship infect her hive. She had no idea that a changeling's never ending hunger for love... could end." Tirek explained.
"Hmm, permanently quenched hunger..." Cozy pondered.

From that hint alone, Amber knew what to do.

"So it's exactly what I thought. Guys. You need to tell Chrysalis how much you love her!" Amber said.

...

They both stood silent.

"Uh... I suppose I'll go first. After all. I'm the one who did this to her..." Cozy said.

Cozy crawled up close, and spoke into where she assumed Chrysalis's ears were.

"Hey there, um, hi Chrysalis. It's me, Cozy Glow. I know you probably never expected to see me again. But uh... please wake up. It'd really make me happy to see you lively again..." Cozy said.

...

"Nothing so far..." Cozy said.
"Say something, Tirek." Amber said, pushing the centaur.
"Hmph. Uh... hello, um, Chrysalis. What say we join forces again. For old times sake?" Tirek said.

Amber gestured her hooves, urging Tirek to keep going.

"I-it would be an honor to work with you again." Tirek said, sweating.

Not much. But not nothing. The queen shook slightly, but it wasn't enough.

"Can she even hear?" Tirek asked.
"She's kind of responding, but how do we know for sure our words are coming through?" Cozy asked.
"She needs something a little more personal." Amber said.
"Do we just hold hands, sing a song, and bring her back to life?" Tirek asked, with a snarl.

Each of them thought about what to do.

Think. What's the happiest Chrysalis ever was? Cozy thought. At what moment did she turn from ruthless energy craving creature, into... something more?

"We're losing her!" Amber cried. "Quick, just hold hands!"

With dwindling options, that's exactly what they did. The three all joined together and held hands in a circle surrounding Chrysalis. But were still missing something.

"It's still not enough! What are we missing?" Amber asked.

I have an idea, and it might be crazy enough to work... Cozy thought.

"I don't know what to do!" Tirek exclaimed. "Cozy?"
"I think..." Cozy said, trailing off.
"Think what?" Tirek and Amber asked, simultaneously.
"I think... I know... a way that she can grow... it's time to try something new, something better. Cozy began to sing. No more, solo, trust is the way to go. All we have to do to bring her back is sing together.

The two looked at Cozy astonished, but for different reasons. Amber was in awe at Cozy's wonderful singing voice. While Tirek... wasn't expecting this.

"Really?" Tirek asked, surprised.
"It's worth a shot." Cozy replied.
"I like this plan." Amber said. "Let's all hold hands and siiiiiing!"
"I draw my limit here!" Tirek said.
"Come on. Won't you sing with your old pal Cozy?" Cozy asked.
"No." Tirek replied.
"Will you sing for two Cozy Glows?" Amber asked.

*blink blink blink blink* Both Cozy and Amber stared and Tirek at blinked in order to entice him.

[Tirek] Oh please, no thanks, I feel the need to say, I'm smarter, stronger and...

"I'm already singing, aren't I?" Tirek asked.

Cozy and Amber nodded. It seemed like he was in after all. With that, it was time for the main event to begin.

[Cozy] It's time, to find a better way to be bad.

[Tirek and Amber] Do we really need another way to be bad?

[All] United as one-

[Amber] Teamwork? Please! Just one more time.

[Cozy] Combine all our strength, we'll go to any length Once we have a better way to be bad.

"Are you guys really still about being bad? Shouldn't we change the lyrics?" Amber asked.

"..." neither Cozy nor Tirek had an answer to that question.

But as the sound propagated through the air, it had a real affect on Chrysalis.

"It's working!" Amber exclaimed. "Our harmonious melody is reaching her! Don't stop! Keep going."

[Cozy] Let's go, begin, this time we're going to win.

[Amber] The ice she's thin so let's get this right...

The song made memories rush back to Chrysalis, and she was actually starting to glow.

[Cozy] Yes, that's it! She's in!

[Amber] I think I see a grin.

[Tirek] For all this pain and torture I swear you'll paaaaay.

...

[Cozy] This time, we've got a better way to be bad.

[All] Sounds like a long shot, this "better way" to be bad

[Cozy] United as one, please wake up, don't make us sad

[Amber] If this song somehow works, will you please join our way?

[All] Once we have a better way to be bad

[Cozy] We wanted to break their friendship. We wanted to make them weak. You wanted revenge Starlight. You have that huge physique. So let's increase our chances By singing as a team. We'll be together at least, and laugh as they all scream!

Chrysalis was glowing even brighter. They were definitely on the right track.

"Come on everyone, let's bring her home!" Cozy exclaimed.

[All] A better way to be bad

[Tirek] When she reforms, she'll be mad.

[Amber] Please don't die, we'll be sad

[Cozy] If she lives we'll be glad

[All] Now we've got a better way to be...

[Cozy] ... not bad, felicidad...

"Really?" Tirek asked.
"What? It means happiness. Plus, I couldn't think of anything else that rhymed..." Cozy said.
"I think that was a nice change to the lyrics." Amber said.

But their strange alteration to the song was effective. Chrysalis's entire body glowed a blue and yellow glow.

"Come on... you're so close..." Cozy said.

"Um...?" Amber had just noticed that her horn was glowing, and magic propagated around the three of them, which gave Chrysalis the energy she needed to live.

*eegh* Chrysalis twitched, and grunted. Finally, her eyes opened, ever so slightly.

"...C-Cozy Glow? Is that you?" she asked.
"Yes! It's me, Queen Chrysalis!" Cozy exclaimed.
"But I thought you were..." Chrysalis said.
"I was, but I'm back! Despite all odds, I'm back!" Cozy said, crying.

Cozy was over taken by the emotion of being reunited, she lunged forward and wrapped her hooves around Chrysalis.

"I never thought I'd see you again..." Chrysalis said in astonishment.
"Likewise." Cozy added. *sniff* "Now that we're together, let's never be apart again."

Chrysalis peered around, and saw that Tirek and Amber were also here.

"And Tirek, and your sister. You all came just to see me?" she asked.
"Of course we did, silly. We love you, and we didn't want to see you go away!" Amber said.
"And uh, you know. That's what friends do." Cozy added.
"...Friends?" Tirek asked.
"So this is friendship?" Chrysalis asked.

Amber nodded. "How does it feel?"

"It feels..."

"Are you trying to say it's nice?" Cozy suggested.

"It doesn't feel bad I suppose..." Chrysalis replied. "It is nice seeing you guys again..."

"Come here you guys!" Amber cried out.

All four embraced in a nice warm group hug. But in that moment, something magical happened.

Amber noticed her horn started to glow again.

"Uh... guys?" Amber asked.

*ZAP*

A beam of magic expelled from Amber's horn, and zapped the three original members of the legion. Amber's eyes went blank with magic, and she started to float. Their bodies, and entire room started to glow.

A bright glow surrounded all four of them, and the entire changeling hive glowed a brilliant radiant glow.


Meanwhile, outside the hive, the cavalry was coming, so to speak.

Magnolia had rounded up Twilight and her friends, the mane 6, Spike and Starlight, and convinced them to follow her.

"What's so important Maggie that you need all of us?" Rainbow Dash asked.
"There's something you guys should all see." Maggie replied.

But none of them were prepared for the sight to behold.

*gasp* "The changeling hive!" everypony exclaimed.

The entire hive was glowing a silver glow from top to bottom.

"Hearth's Warming Eve Eve!" Pinkie exclaimed.
"It's simply divine!" Rarity exclaimed.
"It's almost as bright as the Crystal Empire." Fluttershy said.
"I haven't seen it glowing like this since..." Twilight said.
"Since a changeling changed..." Starlight said.


Part 12

Inside the changeling hive, a magical transformation was taking place. Chrysalis' body had metamorphosized into something new. The metal rings around Tirek's wrists finally broke off, as did the piece around his neck. And Amber's flank shined a radiant glow.

When the glow dissipated, the four were huddled together in a big group hug in the middle of the hive.

"Woah..."
"Wow."
"Is that..." The changelings in the hive looked at the group in awe.

Tirek was the first to open his eyes and realize they were surrounded.

"So uh... we really butchered that song back there." Tirek commented.
"Eh. It was the best we could do in a pinch." Cozy said.
"I thought you guys were spectacular!" Amber exclaimed.

Cozy, Tirek, and Amber joked and laughed around. But Chrysalis was much less cheery. She looked at her hooves. They were whole, and shaded a bright green. She looked at her reflection through a shiny part of the wall, and there she was. At long last, Queen Chrysalis reformed. (Almost)

"NOOOO!" Chrysalis exclaimed. "It has happened! Friendship has CURSED ME!"

...

"And is it so bad?" Thorax asked.
"No... it isn't that bad, I suppose..." Chrysalis admitted. "Frankly, I was expecting the bright colors to burn. But it actually feels kind of..."
"Nice?" Ocellus asked.
"It's not that unpleasant." Chrysalis replied.

*applause* All of the sudden, every creature in the hive started to applaud.

"They're assaulting our auditory sensors with the stomping of their hooves!" Chrysalis exclaimed.
"No, silly! It's an applause! They're cheering for us!" Amber said.
"But we mustn't stay! We're totally vulnerable for an attack!" Tirek said.
"Why would we attack you guys? You just saved our mom." Pharynx said.
"It was our pleasure. She's our friend too after all." Amber said.

They really did. Chrysalis was bright, and radiant, and full of life finally. But Chrysalis wasn't the only one who had a transformation.

*gasp* "Amber, your flank!" Cozy exclaimed.
"What about it?" she asked.
"You got your cutie mark!" Cozy said.
"Really?! What is it?! Is it a Bishop? Maybe a Knight piece. It's, it's..."

They all gathered to see, it. Amber spun around herself in excitement, trying to see what it was.

"It's..."

At long last. Amber Glow got her cutie mark! And it was not actually a Chess piece, or anything to do with Chess, but instead it was...

"CHECKERS?!" they exclaimed.

Amber's cutie mark was of two Checkers pieces.

"Oh! That's uh... neat." she said.
"Checkers is like filly's introduction to Chess..." Chrysalis said.
"You know, Checkers is pretty neat." Cozy, talking up to her. "Still plenty of strategy to be had. It's pretty cool."
"You guys are pretty cool." Amber said.

Amber leaped up and Tirek caught her in his arms. Chrysalis gathered closer to embrace Tirek, and Chrysalis got closer to see her cutie mark. Together the three of them huddled and enjoyed each other's company.

Then there was Cozy Glow herself...

Cozy Glow gave out a great sigh of relief. At least, the outcome she wished for at the moment of her disappearance, only she had to come back to fix things herself. Chrysalis was alive, Tirek was free, and Amber had a family she was happy with. And that just left...

"Cozy Glow?" somepony asked.

Cozy looked up, and was face to face with her worst nightmare.

"Oh dear..." she said.

"Twilight Sparkle?!" they exclaimed.

In front of them, was Princess Twilight Sparkle, and her friends, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Starlight Glimmer, and Spike, and Cozy's friend Magnolia was by her side.

Cozy's legs shook as she shuttered before her greatest adversary.

"It's a surprise to see you again." Twilight said. "You're looking quite garish in that lunar armor."

Cozy thought long and hard. She looked back and saw the legion now as a family at last. Tirek's wrist bands and neck piece were destroyed. Chrysalis transformed, and Amber got her cutie mark. And then there was Cozy...

"Twilight Sparkle... I... *sigh* "I am here... to turn myself in." Cozy said.

*gasp* every changeling, and even every creature in the room gasped.

"What the?" Tirek asked.
"Sister?" Amber exclaimed.
"Cozy, no!" Chrysalis said.

"Really?" Twilight asked.
"Yep. No strings attached. Just me, accepting the consequences for my actions." Cozy said, with a strait face.

The legion behind her seemed confused.

*Psh* "She's distracted. This is the part where you guys sneak away and live together, safely and far away." Cozy whispered.
"What was that, Cozy?" Twilight asked.
"I said, Princess Twilight Sparkle... m-my work here is done. It's impossible to beat friendship, so there's no point in trying. Do your worst." she said.

She got on her knees and bowed before the princess. Twilight merely stood in place, silent. Cozy looked up, confused. She looked to her sides to the other mane 6, and they gave affirmative nods.

"Alright, Cozy Glow. If you say so, here comes our worst!" Twilight exclaimed.

Cozy braced for impact as the mane 6 inched forward.

They all lunged at her and-

"AAAHH!" Cozy screamed.

The 6 surrounded her and gave her a big ol gigantic hug!

"Ugh! So this is it! This is how I go out! Strangled to death by Twilight and friends." Cozy said.
"No, silly. It's a hug!" Pinkie exclaimed.

Cozy didn't know what to say. None of them had ever been so nice to her.

"I don't understand. Isn't a big metal cage supposed to fall from the sky trapping inside? Or aren't Discord's hands supposed to glow, trapping me in stone?" Cozy asked.
"Why would we do any of those things?" Applejack asked.
"That's no way to treat the pony who defeated the Rainbow of Darkness!" Fluttershy said.

Cozy opened her eyes as she realized what was going on.

"What, that? You think that was some noble heroic act? Pah. I just did that to save me and my closest frie... allies, you know." Cozy said.
"Regardless of why you did it, you did save all of Equestria in the process you know." Rarity said.

Cozy broke down. Was she a hero now? But that was not possible.

"I don't understand! You sent the message that friendship wasn't for me! By sealing my away for what was supposed to be forever, you taught me that I could never do friendship *sob* so I never bothered to try!" Cozy cried.

Cozy pressed her face against Twilight and wept.

"And that's why I regret letting that happen to you on that day. I'm the Princess of Friendship, and what does it say about me if I use cruel punishment to try to change other ponies' minds?" Twilight asked.

"Ultimately it didn't do anything to change your minds. After you escaped, you were furious, and immediately thought of a new world domination plan. Maybe that's another case against you, but I think that just proves the stone punishment was not an effective way to change your minds." Starlight said.

"Mmm hmm." the rest of the mane 6 affirmed.

*sob* "I wouldn't say it did nothing. It definitely scared me, and made me worry about getting caught again. But instead of scaring me into surrender, it only inspired me to come up with an even more ridiculous revenge scheme." Cozy said.
"So wait, you admit that petrification was an effective way to teach you a lesson?" Spike asked.
"Effective or not, I don't want to be the princess who tortures and scares her opponents into submission." Twilight said. "That's not the way I want to go about handling things from now on."

"It only served as a means of torment." Rarity added.
"Not to mention-" Rainbow Dash started.
"Alright, I get it! I get it!" Discord's voice echoed.

"Discord?!" everypony asked.

*snap*

*poof*

Suddenly, Discord appeared.

"I get it already! I messed up. This is all Discord's fault! Discord's the true villain of this tale." Discord suddenly appeared.
Cozy wiped her face of the tears. "Well, don't get yourself too down, Discord. After all, I do have you to thank for reviving me." she said.
"Oh, uh... you're welcome." Discord said.
"Saving me was a nice gesture, but I simply don't belong here regardless." Cozy said. "I already accomplished everything I wanted. I was lucky enough to come back. I crafted the ending for my team mates. Tirek and Chrysalis are now united with my sister Amber. There nothing left for me."

Cozy hung her head, but then she felt a nudge in her forelegs.

"But, Cozy, you should join us." Amber said.
"Amby, I..." Cozy said.
"Your journey isn't over. It's only just begun." Maggie said.
"R-really?" Cozy asked.

Just adjacent, Chrysalis was about have her own revelation, thanks to an old "pal".

Fluttershy, Pinkie, Starlight, and the changeling leaders gathered around Chrysalis.

"Stop, don't get too close to me!" Chrysalis said, leaning away from the ponies.
"You know, it did always feel unsatisfactory that you never got to reconcile with your hive." Fluttershy said.
"But now you have all the time in the world to watch your hive grow and mature!" Pinkie said.
"Yes... yes I do." Chrysalis said.
"Say, mom, are you hungry?" Thorax asked.
"Me? Not particularly." Chrysalis replied.
"So then you'd say you're no longer hungry for love?" Thorax asked again.
"I suppose not, because my hunger for love... has been fulfilled..." Chrysalis was standing to understand now.

Thorax nodded. "Now you understand the point of our new forms. We can still live off love, but instead of stealing it, we share it with the ones we care about!"

"And don't worry, us Changelings can still thrive in these new forms." Ocellus said, holding a little larvae.
"G-gwandma?" they asked.

The sight of a new changeling generation was enough to make an old bug weep.

"I never thought I'd live to see my offspring produce a new generation of larvae." Chrysalis said, holding the precious pupa.

"So, you still interested on getting revenge on me?" Starlight teased.

Chrysalis seriously thought about the prospect, but came to a startling realization.

"You know... I don't see much a point to that any more." Chrysalis replied. "My hive loves and adores me now, and now they're thriving. So, what is there to get revenge on any more? Sure, they look a little different, and their traditions are a little different too than what I'm used to. But if unfamiliarity is the worst of it, then... I've got some learning to do."
"That's the spirit." Starlight said.
"You already begun to understand how to..." Thorax said.
"COMPROMISE!" Starlight and Thorax shouted together.

But what of Tirek you ask?

Tirek flexed his muscles and looked at his massive biceps. Then he realized once again, he had a lot of magic stored he could use at any moment...

"And you, Tirek? You look like you've got the collection of magic. What are you gonna do with it?" Discord asked. "Are you going to continue to chase the dream of impressing your father? Or do you want to join in something more..."

Tirek thought long and hard, but came to his own realization.

*ring*

Tirek willingly relinquished the magic her acquired from Grogar into the betwitching bell, held by Discord. So there he stood, strong, but not over powered.

"There, a little more manageable." Tirek said. "Now I can look forward to growing out these biceps the traditional way."
"Does this mean you're done with the whole..." Applejack asked.

Tirek crossed his arms.

"...A reserved truce, sure." he replied. "After all, I know when enough is enough."
"That's good enough for me!" Amber said, jumping onto his back.

*Heh heh* Tirek chuckled, when Amber jumped around and played.

"Well, I guess that settles it then." Applejack said.

Twilight extended her hoof out to Cozy.

"Cozy Glow, with our newfound bond, how would you like to join your sister in a course of friendship lessons?" Twilight offered.
"Hmm... friendship lessons you say?" Cozy asked.

Twilight nodded, affirming her unbelievable offer. There was much anticipation as every creature awaited Cozy's response. And ultimately, her response came to the shock of many.

"Hmm, thanks... but no thanks." Cozy said, winking.

"WHAT?!" every creature exclaimed.
"ARE YOU KIDDING!?" Discord exclaimed. "I was about to drop this party ball in celebration of your progress, and you just turn her down?!"

Not the reaction I was expecting. Cozy thought.

"It is a nice party ball. You should drop it anyway." Pinkie commented.

*poof*

Pinkie activated the party ball and confetti came flying out.

"What I mean is, no thanks, to personal friendship lessons that is. I think we're better off doing friendship our own way." Cozy said.

She flew over to join the legion, and the four of them joined forces, but instead of being bad, they found something better.

"You might be the Princess of Friendship, but that doesn't mean you know every way to be friends." Pinkie said.
"I suppose you're right, Pinkie Pie." Twilight replied.
"Talking to me? I didn't say anything." Pinkie said.
"Then who..." Twilight said.

Twilight looked over her shoulder, and there was nopony where she thought Pinkie was standing. Odd.

"But first, Twilight, do you mind helping us with a favor?" Cozy asked.
"Of course, Cozy." Twilight replied.


In Tartarus, every creature creatures appeared on the top section.

They peered around, and saw several interesting things.

"Grogar?" Twilight asked.

Grogar was caged. He was caged in between now and the previous chapter.

"Hello you old, goat." Discord said.
"Discord, you've joined these merciless ponies too?" Grogar asked.
"'fraid so." Discord replied. "Say, what are you doing here anyway... wait a sec..."

Discord realized there's only one way Grogar could have come back.

"Oh... right... uh... well at least you're under control now." he said to himself.

Grogar wasn't the only creature Cozy added to Tartarus.

"Excuse me, I'm here too!" Sludge exclaimed. "I've been in here since the darkness was vanquished! Why am I still in here?" Sludge asked.
"Eh. Let's leave him here just a little longer." Spike said.
"Alright." Twilight agreed.

They were getting distracted. There was only one creature Cozy was interested in freeing.

"We'll deal with these guys later." Cozy said. "There. He's the one we want."

Cozy pointed to a different cage. The one with her dad trapped in stone.

"Discord, if you don't mind." Cozy said.
"It would be an honor." Discord replied.

Discord's rubbed his hands together to build up a charge. His limbs glowed with lightning. Only this time, he would use his powers to free, not trap.

*ZAP*

Discord zapped the cage, and the statue inside. The statue was undone, and the pony inside was free.

He opened his eyes, and looked up. He saw the grown up Cozy and Amber staring down at him.

"...A-Alisha?" he asked.
"Hi, dad. Call me, Cozy." she said.
"Cozy... you've matured..." he said.
"Pappy?" Amber asked.

"And Amber, you got your cutie mark." he said.

It was a bittersweet reunion. Cozy put him in there, but even in this relatively short amount of time, she grew a lot.

"So... are you kids ready to come back?" he asked.
"Nah. We're just here to set you free." Amber replied.
"Then what are you going to do?" he asked.
"We have our own plans in mind..." Cozy said.


Part 13

Two weeks later:

Cozy had one final meeting with her old pals she met while forming their little village.

"You just came back, and you're leaving already?" Suri asked.
"Are you sure you guys wanna just leave?" Lightning Dust asked.
"I'm positive." Cozy replied.
"But..." they all said.
"Leading the village was fun and all, but I'm taking a break from leadership. You guys will be fine." Cozy said.
"I think she's right. And it's all thanks to your fantastic leadership skills." Rolling Thunder said.
"Me? A fantastic leader?" Cozy asked.
"Absolutely." Short Fuse said.
"We were all lost in the world, but you brought us together, and motivated us to use our unique talents to benefit a larger group." Suri said.
"You're really good at bringing creatures together to work in tandem." Lightning said.
"I always interpreted my cutie mark as control, but if you guys think I'm a great motivator... *sniff* You're all too kind..." Cozy said, blushing.
"But, who will lead us?" Svengallop asked.
"I'll find somepony to lead you. If not, then I'll default to Svengallop being mayor." Cozy replied.

"But before you go, we have something to give you." Rolling Thunder said.

They presented Cozy with a... pilot's jacket?

"Wind Rider isn't using it any more, and we thought you might want it." Lightning Dust said.

"I think it'd suit you much better than that gaudy armor." Suri said.

Cozy put down her armor, and put the jacket on. The sizing fit her new larger mare body perfectly. She looked rather proper in it.

"It's neat. Rather fitting actually." Cozy said. "Thank you."


Later that day in Ponyville, everypony was standing together.

Cozy was perched on Tirek's shoulder, wearing her jacket, and Amber was sitting on Cozy's head. Amber was wearing a neck piece, similar to the one alicorn Cozy wore in Ending of the End. It was a neat thing that made her feel special. Chrysalis stood beside them, as her radiant body reflected the sunlight.

Cozy, Tirek, Amber, Chrysalis, and the mane 6 & Spike, standing together, in harmony.

"You know, Twilight. When Pinkie Pie dropped that enormous cupcake on our heads, if you had just talked to us, we might have come around then and there." Cozy said.
"Yeah, well, think of all the valuable lessons you learned along the way." Twilight said.
"...Nah, being in stone pretty much sucked." Cozy said.
"HAHAHAHA!" Cozy, Amber, Tirek, and Chrysalis all laughed together.
"And we only came out more angry which lead to... this long journey."
"But hey! At least that was one delicious chaotic treat that landed on your heads." Pinkie said.
"It was actually quite tasty." Chrysalis said.
"At least everything worked out in the end." Twilight said. "Even if it did take a while..."

*exhale* Cozy breathed a sigh of relief.

"Yep. It all worked out for the best." Cozy said, relieved.
"I can totally see that you're twins. It's like you two were an alicorn, but you split up, now Cozy's the pegasus, and Amber's the unicorn!" Pinkie said.
"Uh, Pinkie, you shouldn't say anything too offensive to them." Rarity said.
"Not to mention. Wasn't Amber born much later? Not exactly a separated at birth situation." Rainbow Dash said.

Cozy and Amber actually giggled at the prospect of them being split from a singular alicorn.

*giggle* "I like your headcanon though." Cozy said. "Princess Cozy Glow! Mighty alicorn, split at birth, into Cozy and Amber Glow!"
"When Amber is sitting on your head, it's almost like you two combine into an alicorn." Spike said.
"Hmm, I guess you're right..." Amber said, lighting up her horn.
"Rrawr! I am a mighty alicorn princess!" Cozy exclaimed.
"You all will quiver before us!" Amber added.

Cozy tried to look vicious, and Amber sat Cozy's head, to add the horn.

Cozy flew across the landscape with Amber on her head, that was until-

"AH!"

*crash*

Cozy and Amber crashed into the base of a tree.

"Are you guys okay?" Twilight yelled over the distance.

"We're okay!" Amber yelled.
"I do need help going up though." Cozy said.

"Allow me." said somepony.

Cozy looked up and it was her old pal Magnolia. She lent a hoof and helped Cozy stand up.

"There you are." Maggie said.

They were greeted by Magnolia, and their dad, who was holding hooves with Maggie's mom, Heather.

"Hey you guys." Cozy said.
"Long time no see, Cozy. My, how big you've grown." Heather said. "There's my little hero of Equestria."
"Oh gosh, quit overstating what I did." Cozy said, humbled.
"I'm proud of you, Cozy. And I know your mum would be too." he said. "Not because Cozy plus Amber are sort of like an alicorn, but because of the extraordinary things you two have done. Your mum and I thought only extraordinary ponies could do extraordinary things. But you showed everypony that anypony has the potential to be extraordinary."
"Thanks, Pappy." Cozy said.
"You, Cozy, are truly resilient." Heather said. "You never gave up until the very end. And look where you got."
"Of the little support I got as a filly, I'm grateful to have had you guys who believe in me now." Cozy said.

Cozy was about to head out, when she remembered something important.

"Oh, before I forget, Mag, I have an offer for you." Cozy said.
"An offer?" Maggie asked.
"How would you like to lead my village as mayor?" Cozy asked.
"Me, mayor of TCGC?" Maggie asked.
"Mmm hmm." Cozy affirmed. "There's nopony else I trust as much as you. You'd do a great job as a leader. Plus, there's already infrastructure, a castle, and ponies to lead, a trade route.."
"You mean we'd have to move from the sanctity and comfort of Ponyville?" Pappy asked.
"-and move all the way out there and live in the cold?" Heather asked.
"...Yep." Cozy reaffirmed.

"Hmm..." they thought about Cozy's offer.

"Let's do it!" Pappy and Heather exclaimed.
"I guess that settles it. Me and the old geezers are heading out." Maggie said.
"Excellent." Cozy said. "Now, as we discussed earlier, I relinquish Amber to you."

Cozy handed Amber off to Maggie, and the mare wrapped her hooves around the unicorn filly.

"I look forward to seeing you again, little Amby." Cozy said.

Amber was too emotional to speak up. She teared up, and smiled.

"Now then, be careful on the epic journey you're embarking on." Pappy said.
"I will, dad. I will." Cozy said.
"Good luck you guys on whatever the future holds." Maggie said.


Later:

In the early morning, just before the sun was ready to rise:

Twilight Sparkle, mane 6, Starlight Glimmer, Spike, Luster Dawn, Discord, as well as the student 6, all the changelings, and a bunch of other ponies all gathered at the outskirts of Ponyville to witness the going away party for Cozy Glow, Chrysalis, and Tirek. They were ready to leave, and venture into the vast world of Equestria, and beyond.

And just adjacent to them, was the village party. Suri, Lightning Dust, Rolling Thunder, Short Fuse, Svengallop, as well as their new mayor Magnolia, along with her mom, Cozy's dad, and Amber Glow all gathered in a large vehicle driven by Flim and Flim. They were about to depart themselves, and head back to the outer parts of Equestria where their village sat. In fact, the vehicle was adorned with the flag Cozy designed for the village way back at the beginning of the story.

"You sure you guys don't need a ride?" Flim asked.

"Nah. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey." Cozy replied.

"Suit yourselves." Flam replied.

But before they headed out, they gave some last minute goodbyes.

Cozy walked up to Luster Dawn.

"Luster Dawn... thanks for saving my life." Cozy said. "And enabling me to defeat the Rainbow of Darkness."
"I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier. Thanks for the chaperoning you did." Amber said. "I look forward to seeing you again."
"Likewise. You two are crazy. In a good way. I like you guys." Luster said.

"And thanks, Discord. If you ignore that middle bit, and just focus on the fact that you introduced us together, and brought me back to life, I say you didn't do too bad." Cozy said.

"I'll take it." Discord said.

"I'm proud of you, Cozy." Fluttershy said.

"Keep working those abs, Tirek." Rainbow Dash said.

"May whatever the future holds treat you all kindly." Rarity said.

*bzzzz*

"You hear something?" Pinkie asked. "Parasprites?"

"No, it's..." Tirek said.

A swarm of baby changelings appeared, and surrounded every creature.

"Wow, look at all the changeling babies!" Amber said.
"How many you pop out today, Ocellus?" Cozy asked.
"At least a couple dozen." Ocellus replied.

Cozy held one of the larvae in her hooves.

"She's so adorable." Amber said.
"I am so glad the changeling hive is booming with new larvae again." Cozy said.
"It's wonderful..." Tirek said.
"It's everything I could have hoped." Chrysalis said. "The future is bright of changelings, and all the creatures I suppose."

Cozy took one last look at every creature. A crowd of ponies staring at her fondly, what an odd sight.

"Twilight Sparkle... I bid thee farewell." Cozy said.

"I'm so proud of you. Good luck out there." Twilight said.

It was tough saying goodbye, but it was time to go.

"Well we're not gaining daylight by sitting here." Flim said.

"Indeed. We must be off." Flam added.

*engine start*

Flim turned the ignition key, and their vehicle started moving.

"Let's head out as well." Cozy said.

Tirek and Chrysalis smiled, and followed her lead. They turned around, and started to head in their own direction.

"Goodbye!"
"We'll see you soon!"
"Til our paths cross again!" Every creature in Ponyville waved goodbye.

It was a nice change of pace to have a group of creatures all say something positive to you, at least that's what Chrysalis thought, and Tirek thought the same.

The cart of village ponies all waved happily to the legion was they departed. But one little filly was quite restless. Amber couldn't stand to watch them leave and be separated from her.

"Cozy!" Amber leaped out of the vehicle.

"Amber!" all three cried.

Cozy flew forward and caught the unicorn in her loving arms.

Amber clung to her big sister and said. "Take me with you, please."

"What? Really?" Cozy wondered.

Her dad waved affirmatively as he drifted away.

"Just promise to keep her safe!" he yelled, as they drove off.

"I will..." Cozy replied.

And just like that, the village ponies left, and Amber got to stay with the legion after all.

Cozy placed Amber on Tirek's shoulder. "So, I guess then the four of us are off to see the world."

Once again, every creature waved bye, now to the four members of the new legion, as they set out for the world on foot.

"Are you glad?" Spike asked Twilight.

"More than I can express." Twilight replied. "It turned out the only friendship they really needed, was each other's."

Twilight Sparkle lit up her horn, and commanded the sun to start rising, bathing the landscape in the warm orange glow of sun rise.
She and all the friends waved goodbye to Cozy Glow, Tirek, Chrysalis, and Amber Glow. No matter what adventures awaited them next, they were ready to tackle the world, together.


As they left Ponyville, they took the time to reflect, and bask in each other's presence.

Chrysalis's arc was complete. With her new form, she breathed life once again, and she took solace knowing that with queen Ocellus, the changeling hive was in good hands.

Tirek found a sense of belonging he never knew existed, or knew he needed. Cozy and Amber gave him a sense of joy, he'd never felt before. But of the four of them, his background was definitely the most... unresolved thus far...

Cozy Glow, even with a huge gap in time, she finally got to age up, and experience marehood, and little Amber was happy to join them on their adventures, serving to remind them of what Cozy looked like as a filly.

*exhale* "We almost had it all, didn't we?" Chrysalis said.
"We could've covered Equestria in darkness and ruled the world." Tirek said.
"But a world covered in darkness is a world where I'm not capable of loving you. And that's no world I wanna live in." Cozy said.
"You do have to admit, this is a much better ending." Amber said.
"This is the best outcome I ever could have hoped for." Cozy said, wrapping her hoof around Tirek, and he enjoyed it. "A loving family. The respect of everypony. It's better than any takeover plot I ever could'a come up with. It just don't get much better than this..."


United as one, the four of them ventured into the unknown, to explore Equestria, and beyond.

No longer did the bewitching bell toll. For Cozy and Tirek... different bells might soon toll for them.

Together forever, once again. Only this time... they were happy.

The perfect ending at last, for one special pegasus, and her closest friends.

The End

Author's Note:

And there you have it, the longest and slowest reformation story you'll ever read. From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank each and every one of you who have read any of my stories. If you read the whole thing, mad props to you. Even if you didn't, that's okay too. Your feedback is what made this possible.

I began writing this story pretty much immediately after I watched the Ending of the End. I watched the episode early, and published the first couple chapters to Fanfiction.net before the episode aired in the U.S. I was just so personally disappointed with how the last episode was handled, that I wanted to write my own take on the future, and well, the story quickly spun out of control, and became way more ambitious than I could have anticipated. And exactly 11 months later after writing the roughest first draft, we're finally done. Not the longest it's taken me (my Spike fic took 2 years to complete), but this is longer and actually took half the time. It's been a crazy year.

I had a basic but near complete outline of the story from the beginning. It started off as a story where, in the future around Last Problem time, Cozy Tirek and Chrysalis escape, run far away, and live on their own, leading a village and everything.
The body swapping, and the climatic end where Cozy destroys the Rainbow of Darkness and herself, and even the revival in the mirror pool were all outlined in late 2019.

Amber Glow came about when I wrote the hostage scene, and as I continued to write, she developed into her own character.
Magnolia of course mostly just a royal guard who turned traitor to help Cozy. She almost didn’t happen. I initially considered having Suri and Lightning Dust suddenly appear to rescue her, but chose to create an original character, and I’m glad I did.

Thank you everyone for being a part of this incredible journey. It's been a pleasure, but akin to how the best outcome was for Cozy Glow and friends to depart, it is time for me as well to bid thee all farewell. Now that this story is done, and my stories submitted to the short story contest, I am taking a break writing fanfiction.

I wrote this touching goodbye in the author's notes, but a couple days ago I accidentally came up with an idea for a direct sequel to Cozy Chronicles. Whoops.
Also a couple of people requested a sequel to A Different Kind of Ending, so either one of these might become a reality in the eventual future.

It's been a pleasure, and I bid thee all farewell.

With love, I am 5u0myn0n4 aka, J 2

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 12 )

Well done, buddy. Well done. Farewell...

Aww, I love happy endings<3 Everything was wrapped nicely in a bow, and That’s what every last chapter really should. It was fun following along this fic, every update was exciting and great to read.
A really nice story of the trio:twilightsmile:

No longer did the bewitching bell toll. For Cozy and Tirek... different bells might soon toll for them.

..... Wait huh?

Congratulations on finally finishing this story! I am happy everything turned out alright in the end. I still think the best part of the story was the beginning, where everything was still just a crazy adventure; later when the clone backstory was introduced and the narrative became a lot darker in general I wasn't so interested anymore. The lighthearted plot also synergized a lot better with your writing style, which is very informal: you break the fourth wall, you throw in plenty of onomatopoeiae and leave a lot up to the reader's imagination in general. This is great for a parody and it works for a comedic story, but when the situation turn dire it becomes a bit jarring. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you will write next!

That... ... ... was quite interesting for a ending but the Chrysalis part was expected because the author won't let her die though i do feel the villains would have been a bit less cooperative with the heroes but the question is


w i l l t h e r e b e a n o t h e r

10409028
Thank you.

10409182
:twilightblush:

10410008
Thank you. I will take your feedback into consideration for the future. I'll admit, there was a factor of fun to just writing these three interacted on a fun little adventure.
I think in really early drafts this was just them maintaining their village. Writing the more dramatic half was definitely much harder. In many people's headcanons, Cozy really is a psychopathic maniac villain, so this was my take on what her ideal revenge scheme would be (given the circumstances that befall her).
There were times when I thought I went completely overboard, and that I spewed out an illegible narrative mess. And maybe I did, but I tried my best to make it believable.
I felt that given how Twilight wrote Cozy off as a lost cause twice, (she put the kid in Tartarus and then stone, and both times Twilight felt no concern for her well being) I felt only death, and the risk of death, would make Twilight feel anything for Cozy.
And I guess I basically did the same thing in A Different Kind of Ending. Whoops.
Sounds grim, but it just goes to show how unsympathetic Twilight is for Cozy in canon. So I put Cozy in a crazy weird dire situation, then pretend to kill her off, then had the clone became an interesting way for Twilight to start over with a filly who looked like Cozy Glow.
Maybe the ideas were too outlandish and didn't jive well with the first half, but what's a story without some drama?

10413006
It was always my goal to write a happier ending, so of course this story was always going to have a happy ending.
It doesn't necessarily end with the legion cooperating with the mane 6, it ends with the legion leaving and doing their own thing because they have their own unique way of expressing their friendship for each other, and Twilight finally accepts that and lets them go.

In an earlier draft of the ending, it was just Cozy, Tirek, and Amber together. They would have been visited by a sickly Chrysalis one last time, and happened to her next would've been left to reader interpretation. However, when I introduced the idea of Chrysalis dying, based on the feedback from the tease of Amber with Tirek and Chrysalis, I thought about what I really wanted from this fic, and then I realized it was best for all of them to be together.

w i l l t h e r e b e a n o t h e r

If you asked me two weeks ago, I would have said no, but last week a premise for a follow up story popped into my head. Whether or not I pursue this premise is the real question. And my answer to that is not right now, but there's plenty of time in the future, that's for sure.


Thanks again to everyone for commenting and viewing. I was thinking 1k views and 100 comments by the end would have been crazy, but 1.1k and 120 comments is even crazier. 1.2k views and 80+ likes on A Different Kind of Ending is just unbelievable. The support is really what kept me going, and I'm grateful that anyone feels anything from my silly stories.

"More than I can express." Twilight replied. "It turned out the only friendship they really needed, was each other's."

This line is just perfect. Actually this ending is just perfect. Feels don't get much better than this.

*exhale* "We almost had it all, didn't we?" Chrysalis said.
"We could've covered Equestria in darkness and ruled the world." Tirek said.
"But a world covered in darkness is a world where I'm not capable of loving you. And that's no world I wanna live in." Cozy said.
"You do have to admit, this is a much better ending." Amber said.
"This is the best outcome I ever could have hoped for." Cozy said, wrapping her hoof around Tirek, and he enjoyed it. "A loving family. The respect of everypony. It's better than any takeover plot I ever could'a come up with. It just don't get much better than this..."

You said it Cozy and Amber. It really just doesn't get much better than this. Thanks for writing, and hopefully I'll see you down the road.

10409182

No longer did the bewitching bell toll. For Cozy and Tirek... different bells might soon toll for them.

..... Wait huh?

I second that confusion.

This was absolutely amazing. Simply beautiful. Watched it from beginning to end just yesterday. It's a shame I didn't read this when it was created. God, just an amazing Cozy Glow story, but without ignoring Tirek and Chrysalis. The addition of Maggy was a nice touch. Definitely the right choice even if she wasn't planned at the start.

Amber is almost like Cozy Glow, in a purer but also twisted mentally that if Cozy herself didn't show up, she might've turned like her older sister eventually.

A bit sad that Cozy and Twilight will have no further interaction, but it's completely understandable that they want to have a bit of an exploration/self-reflection.

I read this story way back in December of 2020 when I'd just started to really gain the burning hatred that I now possess against the Finale. This story warmed my heart by an indescribable amount, so I might as well leave a comment saying how good it is...

...nearly two years later.

11266532
...And over a month after your comment, I thought I would reply saying that comments like these really do mean the world to me. The fact that a story of this nature staring Cozy Glow has touched so many readers just goes to show how much untapped potential she had, but now that potential lives on with stories like this. But more importantly, reading your comment saying that you liked my story really does light up my day, as cheesy as it sounds. This is still my favorite story that I've written, so I'm glad readers are still enjoying it.

11299283
…And I should probably stop doing the ellipsis thing.
But, no problemo!
I am happy to give feedback on any story, whether good or bad. This just so happens to be one of those stories that proves even after three years of unregistered reading on this site, you can still find gems if you dig far enough. This story is most certainly on my list of all time favorites and I guarantee that won’t change.
Also, I’m also going the be following the sequel closely. I know Centaur Conspiracy is on hiatus, but as I always say: take your time on writing, after all, a finished story is of greater value than a rushed one.
And just to add, this story quite literally changed my life, as Cozy did yours. It isn’t easy to get so high on a veteran’s list of stories, but doing so has proved you as an author who is capable. So, let me reiterate this: you owe us nothing, but we owe you for this wonderful story that I hope will one day go down in the fandom’s history.
I’ma find new topics to read on, but this story will forever remain in my mind.

Bye,

—info

P.S.: you don’t have to read my comments, they’re just here out of enjoyment.

my reaction while reading >

this is the real ending and not the original one from Hasbro, it's just tired shit they want to end, but this masterpiece did what the Turks didn't: a really good ending and play on emotions.

Login or register to comment