• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 4,486 Views, 55 Comments

Never Let Me Down Again - Closer-To-The-Sun



Rainbow Dash is given a chance she thought she would never have, to fly with her favorite Wonderbolt, Soarin. Yet, while she has a huge crush on him, how does Soarin feel?

  • ...
3
 55
 4,486

Ch. 4 Ágætis Byrjun [A Good Beginning]

Chapter 4: Ágætis Byrjun (A Good Beginning)

The two pegasus ponies started at each other in an awkward moment that felt everlasting to them both. Both had greeted the other, but from there, neither pony knew what to do.

Dash finally broke the silence, "H-How's it goin'?" she asked in hopes of sounding causal and relaxed.

Soarin was visibly shaking with nervousness, "Doing f-fine, and you?"

"Doing good as well…." Dash replied.

Soarin nodded at her statement and started down at his baked goods, which he just lost appetite for. Rainbow Dash stared out the window to a bench that had a green unicorn and a cream colored pony sitting down on. Neither knew what to say. They both knew that small talk was not what they had on their tongues. As they were silent, Pinkie Pie arrived with a tray of two glasses of apple juice.

"Here are two glasses of apple juice for you two! Now don't feel shy about letting me know if you need anything!" the pink mare said as she placed the glasses upon the table and hopped away happily.

The two ponies didn't touch the glasses; they both sat mute.

Taking a deep breath, Rainbow Dash spoke again, "Look Soarin, I understand if you don't know what to say about how I feel, but I just want you to know. I really do like you a lot, heck more than that! I'm head over hooves for you. I would just like a response from you." Her voice, though soft as to not bother anypony around them, was filled with emotion. Emotion that she rarely expressed to anypony.

Soarin absorbed what Rainbow Dash said to him. Taking his time, he finally replied, "Rainbow Dash, I like ya too. A lot. But…."

Dash's eyes widened, "But?"

"I have yet to get over somepony who broke my heart…." his words were melancholic.

Rainbow Dash's brain couldn't process what he had just said, "Somepony….broke up with you?"

Soarin quietly nodded.

Rainbow stood up in a rage, "Who is she? I'll take her down! I beat her up so bad that even Celestia won't be able to recognize her!"

The light blue pony's shouting had stirred Sugarcube Corner up. All the patrons had their eyes fixed upon Dash, who seem to not care if it was the Royal Guards were surrounding her with weapons that were looking at her. Soarin stood up to urge Rainbow Dash to sit back down and not make more of a scene she already was.

"Easy, Dash, easy," he insisted Dash to sit down, "It's not like either of us wanted it to end, but it seemed that it was for the best."

"What do you mean?" Rainbow was stopped her rage thanks to Soarin's pleading.

"Well, I guess we kind of grew apart. We lived in different worlds," the colt closed his eyes as he began, "We both knew we had personal loves before each other. My love was flying in the sky. Hers was classical music. And then of course no matter what, one of us would be away somewhere," he paused and gave a small chuckle at himself, "Am I making any sense with my rambling?"

"You are. I do see where you are coming from now," Dash replied.

"Alright. Well, we knew it had to end, no two ways around it. So, we called the relationship off. We wanted to end it on our terms and still be friends, so we did. It has been about two months now, but I guess I'm still sore about it all." A few tears formed in Soarin's eyes that he quickly brushed away, hoping Dash wouldn't see.

Rainbow Dash was getting a bit misty eyed herself, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have acted so dumb. I was only thinking about my feelings and not about yours in the least. Guh, why must I be so stupid."

Soarin looked toward Dash, "Hey now, it's not like you could have know what I was thinking. I do have to say that was pretty gutsy of you do tackle me like that," he gave a warm smile and laugh to Dash who blushed at his words. "You are an amazing mare, don't let anypony tell you otherwise."

Dash felt her heart being lifted again. "So….does that mean you and I…." Dash started.

"No." Soarin interrupted, causing Rainbow's heart to fall again. But Soarin wasn't going to let it fall to far, "I don't think I'm ready right yet for a relationship yet, ya know. Again, it's not you, it's me. If I'm going to be in a relationship with a mare again, I want to be able to give all my affection to that mare and only to that mare."

For some reason, those words had an effect on Rainbow, as if he was telling her to be patient. She smiled and nodded, wiping a few tears from her eyes, "I do understand."

Soarin stood up and trotted over to hug Rainbow Dash. As they hugged, Soarin spoke softly, "Thank you."

"Huh? For what?" Dash asked as they hugged, which she enjoyed greatly.

"For being you," he paused as he enjoyed the hug as well, "This is a good beginning for us, don't you think?"

Rainbow Dash smiled, "I know that I like it a lot."

----------------------

A few weeks had past since Dash and Soarin had their encounter with each other at Sugarcube Corner. Ever since that day, the light blue mare seemed to have more vigor and strength in her everyday activities. On a certain day, Rainbow Dash was helping Pinkie Pie in the bakery that day by making treats at Sugarcube Corner when a gray mailmare with a blonde mane stopped in.

"I brought you a letter!" she called out to Pinkie Pie.

"Mail! Mail! Mail! It's the mailmare! Yay!" Pinkie bounced over to the gray pegasus who had a few letters for the bakery. Taking them, she read through them, "Lemme see here, bill, bill, supposed to go to Applejack, bill, supposed to go to Photo Finish, you may have just won a million bits, bill, for Mrs. Cake, bill, supposed to be for Rainbow Dash, bil- Hey, wait! Rainbow Dash is right here! Hey, Rainbow, I brought you a letter!"

"Hey!" the mailmare seemed annoyed that Pinkie stole her line.

Rainbow Dash came out of the kitchen when she heard her name, "What was that? A letter? But this isn't my house."

Pinkie was holding the letter up to the light, "It looks super important! It says it's from Canterlot."

Dash opened the letter and read it silently to herself. Her face was overcome with joy and bliss. She squeaked in happiness as she rushed outside and jumped up into the air and flew swiftly across the sky.

Pinkie and the mailmare started oddly as the blue pegasus raced out of the building, "What the hay was that all about?" Pinkie Pie asked aloud. She walked over the letter that Dash left lying on the floor as she quickly bolted off. The pink earth pony and the gray pegasus read the letter together.

The letter read:

Hey Dash,
I want a rematch of that last race, think you're up for it?
Love, Soarin.

END

Comments ( 18 )

I like this story very much
However there could be some improvements...
improvements as in character development with Rainbow Dash and her love for Soarin
I think she could've taken more time discovering her feelings
Overall I think this is a good story :twilightsmile:

1083664
What you said

YAY! :yay: I expect a sequel also (points to the YAY!) SEE WHAT i MEAN?! :rainbowhuh:

Not sure if Icelander or Sigur Ros fan :trixieshiftright:

Thank you for the story, this site needs some more Soarin x Dash.
Keep up the good work :rainbowdetermined2:

great story dude and are you making a sequel? :twilightsmile:

1088739 There is a possibility of a sequel, but don't get your hopes up right now. Currently, I'm just transfering my fics from deviantArt to over here, and this was actually one of my first fics. So, as of right now, 4 down, about 24 or so to go.

the end???? sequel then!!!! nao!!!!!!! :flutterrage:

When i saw what the fourth chapter was named, i was like dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Lyra_ooh.png , but then because i understood it ( I'm Icelandic ) i was like dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/misc_Cloudchaser_dealwithit.png { Hell yeah
Awesome Story btw, i really enjoyed it :twilightsmile: i hope there will be a sequel

Omc your profile pick is so funny :pinkiehappy:
:unsuresweetie: no offense

really like the story. honestly:ajsmug:I can say that it does
help me with a crush that i have, so thanks.
Ohh! and I like your profile pic:heart:

4462285 I'm really glad you like reading it. As for it relating to your life, I'm glad it could help you in some way with your life, I'm honored to hear that. Truth be told, this is one of my more personal stories, dealing with a few real things that happened with me and someone I liked it. Glad to have helped in some way.
And thanks for the comment on my avatar.

This is cute!

This was a fun little read, nothing over the top, just enjoyable. Thanks for pitting the time in to write it.

I realize it's been almost five years since this came out, the SoarinDash shipper in me still wants it to get a sequel in which they get together for real.

Rainbow stood up in a rage, "Who is she? I'll take her down! I beat her up so bad that even Celestia won't be able to recognize her!"

Whoa ok that kind of escalated quickly I'm glad that she tried to help but I don't think that's not what he wanted

This is a pretty nice story a little short but pretty nice so it looks like both rainbow and soarin are okay with each other he's just not ready for a relationship after a reason break up which rainbow never knew about that then she felt ashamed about that but he wants to reassure her she didn't do nothing wrong just a miscommunication so was that both of them are okay and within a few weeks it looks like he sent a letter to Rainbow and it looks like he probably wants to make this work and she's happy about it again this was a pretty cute story keep up the good work

Login or register to comment