• Published 14th Aug 2012
  • 4,487 Views, 55 Comments

Never Let Me Down Again - Closer-To-The-Sun



Rainbow Dash is given a chance she thought she would never have, to fly with her favorite Wonderbolt, Soarin. Yet, while she has a huge crush on him, how does Soarin feel?

  • ...
3
 55
 4,487

Ch. 3 Love, Reign O'er Me

Chapter 3: Love, Reign O'er Me

Rainbow Dash felt the hooves on her chest push her away from the kiss. Soarin broke the kiss finally, his cheeks were the same as Dash's, tinted a heavy pink.

Now that he pushed Rainbow away and finally caught his breath, Soarin finally asked, "Wh-What in Celestia's name was that?"

The female pegasus was stunned by his comment, she wasn't excepting Soarin to react in such a manner, "It-It was a kiss, S-Soarin…." Rainbow Dash was finally able to mutter.

The colt was still on his back, trying to calm himself from the surprise, "Obviously, but where on Equestria did that come from?"

Rainbow didn't respond to the question, "I-I really like ya a lot…." Her cheeks were blazing red as she was finally able to mutter the words she longed to say to the colt.

Soarin's cheeks turned pink as well before he turned his head away from Dash to the horizon which had dark clouds moving quickly in, blocking sunset they viewed minutes ago. He felt he should say something, but he didn't know what to say at that moment.

"S-Soarin?" Rainbow Dash was fishing for a response.

"I like ya too, Dash, but….I don't know…."

"Don't know? About what?"

"About us, things going on in my life, things going on in my head, and a lot of other things," the pegasus was finally able to say.

"What do you mean?" Dash pleaded for an answer.

Soarin was silent, watching the dark clouds move in from the west quickly. The sunset had been fully engulfed by the clouds and the stars and moon were blocked from view as well. Finally, after what seemed an eternity of waiting for an answer, Soarin replied with a crestfallen tone, "We should call it a day, I'll see ya around." With those words, Soarin took off from the cloud and flew in the direction of Canterlot.

Rainbow Dash stared as she flew off. In her heart, she wanted to chase after him and demand an answer, but she knew if she did and pinned him down to ask, she would not be able to either find the right words or be able to speak. Tears slowly formed in her eyes as a million thoughts raced through her mind. She held her tongue, knowing that her words would fail entirely, no matter what she wanted to say; it would be a jumbled mess.

Rain began to fall from the clouds, slowly and lightly at first, but steadily growing. Below in Ponyville, earth ponies and unicorns alike were scattering to get indoors where it was dry and warm. Rainbow didn't care. The cold rain was hitting her body, and it at least let her know that she was still able to feel something other than a broken heart. The falling water splashed on her face, merging with her tears and finally allowing the tears to fall down her cheeks. Rainbow was finally fully crying, letting her emotions out.

Dash took off from the cloud and flew to the center of the storm. The falling rain began to pelt her body harder, but she flew onward. She struggled to keep going, which was an oddity for her, but she was completely aware of the reason why it was difficult. She didn't want her emotions to get the best of her, making such a normally easy flight a struggle. She had to prove to herself she was stronger that this.

Thunder and lightning started to reveal themselves as she flew through the rough storm. Rainbow Dash didn't care. She kept flying, even when the wind was making it almost impossible for her to fly the direction she started in. She began to grunt as she flapped her wings harder. Slowly, she was moving forward aimlessly. She had no idea where she was going or what she was doing. The only thing she knew was that she wanted to keep flying against the storm. She shouted more as the storm continually pushed her back.

Finally, giving in the storm, Rainbow Dash stopped fighting the storm and soared back in the direction of Ponyville. Tears continued to flow down her face as she found a tree to take shelter under. Beneath the tree, she curled up and shivered from the cold. Even though Rainbow's coat was slowly beginning dry under the tree's protection, her eyes were still drenched.

-------------

The early next morning, the Celestia's sun was shinning over Ponyville, drying up the soaked land from the previous night's storm. A yellow pegasus with saddlebags on her back was walking down the dirt path near her cottage, enjoying the gentle breeze in her pink mane. As she trotted, she sang with her bird friends joyfully. However, her singing was cut short when she saw not too far off the beaten path a light blue lump under a tree with a few touches of rainbow coloring. She hurried over to the tree to see her friend asleep.

"Rainbow Dash?" she called out to the sleeping pony.

Rainbow Dash's ear twitched at the calling of her name. She opened one of her eyes slowly to see her friend Fluttershy, "Fl-Fluttershy? What are you doing in my house?"

Fluttershy giggled softly, "I'm outside, Rainbow Dash. And so are you."

Rainbow blinked a few times before she realized where she was. Sitting up and rubbing her eyes with her hooves, she looked at her surroundings. "How did I get here?" she asked herself aloud.

"I was going to ask the same thing to you. Are you okay?" Fluttershy asked with concern.

"Wait," Dash interjected as she stood up onto all four of her hooves, "first let me say I'm sorry about the other day. I was a complete mule to you. To be honest, I'm surprised you're still talking to me after how I went off the handle like that."

Fluttershy smiled and gave a comforting pat onto Rainbow Dash's back, "Oh, it's completely alright, Rainbow Dash. Rarity told me that you went to see her as well that night and what you two had talked about."

Rainbow Dash looked at Fluttershy, "You talked to her?"

Fluttershy shook her head, "Yup, and she told me that you were sorry about how you acted. She said she didn't know for what, but she would not let you down," Rainbow smiled knowing Rarity did give the message, "Care to walk with me to town as we continue this conversation? I do have some things to pick up."

Rainbow Dash nodded and the two continued down the path toward Ponyville.

"Ya know, I honestly don't see how you can be fine with trotting. I mean, this walking thing is for the earth ponies and unicorns," Dash said as her sore muscles reminded her of what had happened the previous night.

"Oh, it's not so bad when you get used to it. Besides, you can take in more of the beauty around you, "Fluttershy replied as she watched a few birds chirp happily in a nearby tree.

Rainbow Dash followed Fluttershy's eyes to see the cheerful family of birds. A smile crept to her face without her knowing it as she looked at the carefree creatures, "Huh, I guess you're right."

As the two walked at a leisurely pace toward the town, they soaked up the atmosphere and beauty around them. From watching birds singing joyful songs to watching families of forest critters such as rabbits and turtles waking up to start their day. The two even stopped to watch a mother duck with her ducklings swim through a puddle. Rainbow Dash felt the tension that was built up inside her literally melt away like Celestia's spring sun melting the winter snow.

Fluttershy took notice of this and smiled before asking, "Um, Rainbow? If you don't mind me asking now, may I ask how you are feeling now?"

Dash took a deep, cleansing breath before starting, "I'm really feeling better now, thanks to you. Compared to last night, anyway, it's a world of difference."

"Oh my, what happened last night?" Fluttershy asked as they neared Ponyville Square.

"Well, to make a long story short, I made a complete fool of myself in two ways: one with Soarin and the other with trying to fly against the storm. Anyway, that's done and over with now, I need to not focus on my dumb past mistakes. So where do ya need to go? I'll come with ya."

Fluttershy thought for a second, "Um, I do have to go by Sugarcube Corner and pick up a few things and talk to Pinkie Pie."

"Alright, to Sugarcube Corner then!" Rainbow Dash said, leading the way for Fluttershy.

As they arrived to Sugarcube Corner, Fluttershy went to the counter to talk to Mrs. Cake about her order. Rainbow Dash found Pinkie Pie and went up to talk to her.

"Hey, Pinkie. What's up?" Rainbow Dash asked as she saw her pink friend.

"Oh, hiya Rainbow Dash!" Pinkie Pie greeted her with her usual energetic personality, "You'll never guess who is here right at this very moment!"

Rainbow's ears perked up, "Huh? Who's here?"

Pinkie Pie's hooves latched on to Rainbow Dash's head as she moved the pegasus' head to a table with a light blue colt sitting down with a few baked goods on the table. His Wonderbolts uniform was covering his entire body except his head. It was Soarin. Rainbow Dash's face lost all expression as she saw the very colt that broke her heart less than twelve hours ago. She wanted to burst out of the bakery and fly as far as she could.

But Pinkie had other ideas, "Come on! I'll have you two sit right next to each other!"

Before Rainbow Dash could object, Rainbow Dash was transported to the seat across from Soarin by Pinkie Pie's randomness. Rainbow Dash felt her body tense up, making movement impossible. Soarin saw Rainbow Dash across from him and he froze just as well. The two stared at each other in awkward silence.

"I'll be back with some apple juice for you both!" Pinkie Pie cheerfully and oblivious to the fact that the two pegasus ponies were in an extremely uncomfortable situation.

For a few minutes, neither of the two said a word or did more than blink and breath.

Finally, Dash managed to say something, "H-Hey…."

Soarin replied, "H-Hey…."