• Published 27th Dec 2018
  • 3,090 Views, 44 Comments

GingerBread - Opium4TmassS



All I ever wanted was deep in my heart. Waiting for the eve I can tear it apart.

  • ...
3
 44
 3,090

Gingerbread

Author's Note:

Excitement ran through the small town of Ponyville in anticipation for tomorrow's Hearth's Warming celebration. Once again the cold breeze carried the smell of burning hickory from the chimneys of nearby homes. However, at Sugar Cube Corner the scents of cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla poured from the store. The orders came fast and furious but like every year they were able to keep up, if barely. Meanwhile the twinkling of thousands of strands of magical lights in seasonal colors had been wrapped around long strips of garland and strung from house to house, building to building and pole to pole. The ponies of Ponyville were filled with happiness and good cheer and were more than happy to share those feelings with others, save one. Dusty Bin.

There were a lot of things in Equestria that stressed Dusty Bin. Work, or the lack there of, was one. A year ago he was one of Ponyville's lead pest exterminators. The position however, became moot when Fluttershy intervened and all but put an end to his trade in town. While there was the occasional job that came up it was hardly enough to pay the bills. So he'd had to take on another part time position working retail under a red maned unicorn named Surprise Bouquet. Surprise was the type of manager who was always looking to go younger and Dusty suspected, given his advanced age, that he wasn't long for the position.

If that weren't bad enough his daughter had just sent word that she intended to drop out of college and move to a commune with her art history professor and his other "wives." He was a stallion that was twice her age and from how, "deep" he sounded was probably on drugs. When he'd attempted to intervene she quit speaking to him. She did however manage to spend the bits he'd sent for tuition on something called, 'cosmic stones' that would let her get in touch with her marehood.

Currently though the thing that stressed Dusty out the most was his wife Jasmine. More to the point, her complaining about their situation while she couldn't be bothered to lift a hoof to help was more the issue. That and the fact that she tended to go out and stay out late. Sometimes she'd come home with her mane a bit of a mess and a Cheshire grin slapped across her face. When she did he'd quake in fear, anger, hurt and pretty much any other negative emotion one could heap on a pony. Not that she cared.

In his opinion Jasmine was still as beautiful as the day they'd gotten together. There were several nights he recalled that drunken romp behind the hay bales near the Apple family barn during Nightmare Night all those years ago. It was her idea and it led to their daughter's conception and their eventual marriage, much to her and her wealthy father's displeasure. In those early days she'd show interest in him but she also never let him forget that she'd hoped for more out of life than to be an exterminator's wife. However, in spite of it all he still wanted her.

Dusty Bin let out a sigh staring at the display window of the store "Naughty and Nice." He looked at the mannequins dressed in exotic and sexy lingerie and imagined his wife modeling the outfit for him. Yet, the thought soon turned sour when it occurred to him that he likely wouldn't be the one who she was modeling for.

He remembered the fight that morning over the hat he'd found hung on the hook by the door. She'd spit the usual insults his way but something about it was different. There was a coldness to it, something deeper and more malicious than anything he would have imagined. He'd spent the majority of that day waiting for some lawyer to show up with papers while he was at his part time job or some hoodlum to come in and put an end to him.

Dusty was so lost in thought that he did not notice when the pretty young pegasus approached him until an evil mist of strong sweet smelling scents assaulted him. The offending odors burrowed deep into his nose and mouth. It made his eyes water to the point that he was nearly blind as a coughing fit overtook him.

"Do you like it? It's called Lust by Rarity," said the mares voice cutting through the attacking cloud, "The perfect gift for your wife or girlfriend this holiday season. At only nine bits with free gift wrapping it's quite the deal."

Dusty took a step away from the perfume wielding pegasus. Words formed on the tip of his tongue but quickly evaporated into another coughing fit until he'd finally expelled the noxious stink from his lungs. He wiped the tears from his eyes and looked at the pony who was dressed in a revealing red and white outfit that exposed some of the fluffiest chest fuzz he'd ever seen.

"N-no...I...Zecora," He wheezed. Stopping for a moment to collect himself, "Excuse me Miss..."

"Squiggles."

"Miss Squiggles. I'm here to pick up a package from Zecora. Do you know where I can find her?"

"Oh," she murmured as her mood went from cheerful to slightly hostile in surprisingly quick fashion. "Well you can find her near the back of the store. Filthy Rich let her set up a small stall to sell some of her potions and trinkets for the holiday. Between you and me I don't think she likes me very much. Always glaring at me whenever I go inside and try to talk to the customers which is why I stay outside." Squiggles sighed and waved a hoof dismissively, "Well I won't keep you any longer as I see you have your own business to attend to. Happy Hearths Warming. I hope your wife deserves your gift."


The department store was filled with shoppers. Their breath and body heat made it almost unbearable as he attempted to push his way though them. More than once a couple of the shoppers scuffled sending him into other shoppers as he tried to avoid the melee. The clerks were ragged and from what Dusty could tell, were ready to go home.

The din of the crowd, crying children drowned out the sound of the small band playing Hearth's Warming songs. The odd odors from perfume assassins gave Dusty a headache. Yet, the exterminator persevered and made his way back to Zecora's stall. It was paramount that he get there.

When he got there he was surprised to see just how small of a space they'd given Zecora. To call it a stall was generous. It was simply a tiny table wedged between display cases of costume jewelry and deeply marked down summer wear. The holiday rush must have gotten to her as well. Zecora wore a look of frustration when he finally made it to her booth. "Hey, I'm sorry I'm late. I was assaulted by a perfume mare and the crowds are out of control," he said smiling politely, "I hope no one has given you too hard of a time today."

Zecora smiled in relief as he spoke. "Why my good friend Dusty Bin has finally arrived," she said and welcomed him to come closer, "I had started to lose hope that the throngs you had survived," she chuckled, pointing to the holiday insanity around them.

"It hasn't been easy getting to you. I got off work early to avoid the crowds," said Dusty who was promptly bumped from behind by a surly stallion. "It seems that I should have left a lot earlier."

"I was getting ready to close up shop. So I am happy that your work you have decided to drop. This year's Hearth's Warming has been particularly vicious. As the ponies this holiday seem to be really ambitious," she spoke while reaching into one of the sacks of what was left of things she couldn't sell, "The gift for your wife is inside this present. I hope Hearth's Warming for you this year is pleasant."

Dusty noticed how large, bright and festive the box was wrapped. Bright red and white stripes ran down the box. Flourished with a red bow twinkling from the gold glitter that topped it. Curiously he opened the box wondering what it was he had actually bought having ordered it months ago from Zecora as something that would guarantee the best Hearths Warming ever. All she required was a lock of his and his wife's hair and as she put it in her rhyming way, 'an open mind,' and of course as many bits as he could spare. He opened the box.

The smell of freshly baked gingerbread slowly drifted out of the box. He stared questioningly at the decorated gingerbread cookie made in the shape of a pony. Even though Dusty didn't particularly like gingerbread too much he found his stomach start to growl from missing lunch again while he peered closer to examine the gift for his wife. Its smile stretched from one end to another made of different colored candies with red gumdrop eyes that seemed to follow him around.

It was the biggest cookie he'd ever seen. It was heavy too. Dusty needed both hooves to hold the box. A small frown crossed his face as he looked at the cookie, "Um ... Zecora ... how is this cookie going to ...." He never finished the sentence as the cookie suddenly began to shift. It slowly sat up and stared at him expectantly. He dropped the box to the table and stared back.

"Happy Hearths Warming," the gingerbread pony cried in a strange high pitched voice. It repeated the greeting several times and stretched out its cookie arms as if asking for a hug. Dusty's shocked gaze shifted to Zecora who chuckled quietly.

When Dusty had told the zebra about his marital and family woes months ago he'd thought maybe she would give him a poultice. Perhaps she'd give him a love potion so that at least his wife would feel something for him again. Dusty looked questioningly at Zecora. "A cookie," he asked finding his voice again, "What do I do with a talking cookie?"

"To get the happiness you richly deserve. This simple trick is what you must observe," said Zecora, " The pony must be eaten by her and her only. In order to stop this feeling of being lonely. Just a simple nibble is all it takes, for the magic from your hear inside to awake," she finished with a smile as she hitched her bags to her side, "Happy Hearth's Warming Mister Bin. I just know that, for you, good things are about to begin." She spoke as she left. Leaving a confused Dusty Bin alone in a store full of angry shoppers.


The last rays of golden light were slowly starting to sink below the horizon when Dusty Bin finally made it home. The streets were packed with ponies and other creatures that, when away from the stores, were in a much more joyous mood. They sang, meandered and generally got in Dusty's way as he'd made the trek home. Of course the cookie hadn't been too helpful either.

As he'd walked along the cookie shook and bounced around in the box as much as it could. It wished unseen passersby a seasonal greeting of one sort or another. It desperately wanted to escape and join the festivities. However, once he'd arrived at his home the cookie had settled down. The air was thick at the Bin house and unlike the others it wasn't decorated. Dusty gave a mournful sigh when he opened the door and stared into the darkened foyer of the house. He flipped the light on by the door, entered, shut the door behind and set the package on the table.

The chaos of the day had left him drained. All he wanted to do now was take a nice hot shower and relax until his wife got home from hanging out with her 'friends.' He shuddered and slowly began to climb the stairs. Yet after climbing three stairs he heard the loud snick of the door behind him.

"Oh, you're here. I didn't think you would be home this early," said Jasmine her voice dripped with disappointment.

"I went shopping for Hearth's Warming," said Dusty as he watched his wife quickly make her way from the foyer into the living room.

"Ha! With what money? You don't have any Dusty," said Jasmine as she walked back to the foyer with two suitcases.

" Jasmine what are you doing? Why do you have...," Dusty's voice dropped off as his heart sank into his stomach as the cold feeling returned.

"Happy Hearths Warming! Happy Hearths Warming!" the thing shouted joyously in its strange tinny voice that was thankfully muffled by the box while starting to sing holiday songs

"I had hoped I would be gone when you came home and you would just read the damn letter on the bedroom nightstand. That would have been so much easier," said Jasmine. The ember colored earth pony with her mane dyed blonde to hide the streaks of grey. Slowly walked over to him, "I'd ordered a taxi a half hour ago when Gar ...," she cut herself off from finishing the name then continued," ... I'd ordered it from his home. We're going on a trip. I don't know for how long and then I'm divorcing you. Simple like that. You don't have much but when I'm done with you you won't have a pot to boil cabbage in."

Dusty's heart pounded in rage and felt like it would burst through his chest. He held his breath and blinked as a fire began to burn within him. He wanted to shout at her and strike her. He wanted to squeeze her neck until she went from ember to blue, but he didn't move. He couldn't but he glared and in that moment whatever goodwill he'd had for his wife was gone.

"Happy Hearths Warming!" The cookie continued to shout. Growing more and more frantic with each cry while both of the ponies ignored the thin stream of smoke starting to pour out of the box as it fed on something deep inside of Dusty Bin. "Happy Hearths Warming! Hot! Happy Hearths Warming! Happy Hearths Warming! Hot! Hot!" It screamed louder. Finally shutting up when Dusty walked over to the table and slapped his hoof against the top of the box.

His anger coursed through him like a river. He picked up the box and as he did he realized that the cookie had finally shut up. The pretty paper had blackened and an eerie calm washed over the room.

In that calm Dusty Bin realized he hated his wife. He hated everything about her and the way she'd treated him for so long. He'd been civil but that was over as the oceans of hate swept over him. Dusty glared at Jasmine who took a half step back in shock but didn't say anything. Dusty smiled in response.

"Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-laaaaaaaaa" the cookie in the box crooned in a voice growing more perverse the longer Dusty held it. He looked at it briefly and then back to his wife.

In as even of a tone as he could muster he spoke, "Well, dear wife I suppose that's it then. I guess I'm licked. I'm sorry that ... I was such a miserable husband for you."

Jasmine took a step forward her cheshire grin returning, "Well it's too late to be sorry Dusty, but you were. I deserved better than what you gave me."

Dusty nodded quietly. "Well, I can't make up for that but, before you go I'd like to give you one more gift as a peace offering."

"Peace offering?"

"Let me keep the house. For old time sake."

Jasmine snorted, "Please. That's the first thing I'll sell."

There were so many things Dusty wanted to say but couldn't. Instead he held out the box to her. "For you my wife."

"Happy Hearths Warming! Oh come all ye faithfulllll,l" The thing cackled. Finally drawing the attention of his wife Jasmine.

"What in Celestia's name is in that," she asked and looked suspiciously at the box. "Did you get some singing cat thing? You know I hate those."

"Please open it."

"No it's too flat for a cat. It's probably garbage anyway," she said as she began to move toward the door, "Goodbye Dusty. Happy Hearth's Warming."

In a surprising bit of dexterity Dusty moved in front of the door and held the gift out for her to take. At first she tried to push passed him but he would not be pushed. He saw the rage build in her eyes as he stayed in place.

"Enough!" Jasmine screamed and slapped the box out of his hooves, "Get out of my way!"

Through the air the package tumbled until it hit the wall next to the hat rack. Its lid flew open as the gingerbread pony fell out onto the floor smearing everything it hit with a light coating of frosting. Dusty saw the thing roll around the floor for a second. It was different now. It was bigger, darker and scarier. Its body looked crooked and jagged with cracks running across the cookie. Its buttercream frosting bubbled and dripped off the gingerbread pony leaving a sugary red stained trail.

The pair of ponies could only stare as the cookie tried to get up. It took a few tries, appearing disoriented in its attempts to stand on its gingerbread hooves as it moved around in a small circle until it was able to get its bearing. its melted and smudged gumdrop eyes locked onto Jasmine who gazed back in utter shock.

"Happy Hearths Warming," the gingerbread pony shouted joyously with a slight undertone of menace in its voice. Its candied and icing mouth growing even wider with insane glee as it finally saw the pony it had been created for and galloped towards her with its hooves outstretched and giggling all the way.

Jasmine screamed and backed away from the freakish cookie thing that bore down on her. "What did you do," she cried as it reached her and pulled her down.

Dusty shrugged as he watched the cookie wrestle and pin Jasmine to the floor.

"Dussssstttyyyyyy!" She yelled. Pleading with him for some assistance, "Get this thing off me."

"Happy Hearths Warming," the gingerbread pony yelled once again. Laughing and singing while it finally reached her head prying her mouth open with a wink to Dusty before cramming itself into the pony's mouth. Forcing itself deep inside her.

Jasmine's cry became a muffled choke as her limbs flew to her throat while gingerbread crumbs began to pour from her mouth. "Dusty? What did you do," croaked Jasmine before another choking fit overtook her as she writhed on the floor.

"I guess ... celebrating."

***ONE HEARTHS WARMING LATER***

There was no house in Ponyville that shown brighter for Hearth's Warming than the house belonging to Dusty Bin. Ponies would approach him when he walked the streets, jokingly comment that his house could easily be spotted from the moon. They even went so far as to say his house rivaled Twilight's castle in opulent splendor.

In response of course he would just chuckle and shrug dismissively. It was the holiday after all and what better way was there to celebrate than to spread as much cheer as possible. This was especially true for the four ponies that had joined him for the Hearth's Warming dinner he had so carefully made for them to enjoy. Conversing with them as the group made their way outside after dinner.

"That was awesome dad," said his daughter Strawberry Field, "I didn't know you were such a great cook."

"That was really good," said his daughter's newest coltfriend a zebra named Da'Vinci whom she'd met after leaving the commune. The idea of being wife number four didn't sit well with her.

"Fantastic meal," said Surprise Bouquet his marefriend who planted a kiss on his cheek, "As much as I would love to stay longer I have a train to catch. I did promise my brother I would visit the family for the holiday. I'm sorry sweetie."

"Us as well. Da'Vinci is doing his first art exhibit in Prance and we're just so excited." Strawberry Field turned to her father and asked, "Are you sure you won't come? It would be good for you to leave the house after mom ... you know," stopping herself.

"It's okay sweetheart. Your mother and I had just grown too far apart. I should have realized it sooner," said Dusty as he looked down at his lap, "It would have saved me years of heartache."

"Well, you can't blame yourself," said his daughter, "If ..."

"Oh now don't worry about it," said Dusty looking up at Strawberry Field with a smile, "It's in the past."

They continued to chat and laugh until it was time to go. At that time he walked them to the front door. He hugged his daughter tightly before kissing his marefriend goodbye. "Now you all have a happy Hearth's Warming and hurry on to the train. It won't wait forever!"

"If we hurry. I'll tell you how your father and I started dating," said Surprise to his daughter, "It was so cute the first time he asked me out."

No sooner had the trio stepped a hoof through the open door that Dusty stopped them. "Wait," said Dusty to the group of ponies, "have some more of that gingerbread I made. Something for the road. Train snacks are usually awful."

"Oh thank you so much," said Da'Vinci already salivating as the thought of more gingerbread, "I've never had cookies that tasted that good before!"

"Are you sure that won't be any trouble," asked Strawberry.

"Nonsense," Dusty exclaimed, "just wait right there," he said already making a beeline towards the kitchen.

It took but a moment to work his way to the back of the kitchen and into the pantry. A moment more to remove the fake shelving, revealing another door that he quietly opened. His ears perked up for any unwanted sounds of company approaching.

"Hello honey," Dusty said softly to the giant gingerbread cookie.

Her candied mouth still stuck in a silent scream showing off rows of peppermint teeth and a chocolate tongue made from a brownie as the cookie was covered with a thick, rich, red butter cream frosting with licorice hair and Gumdrop eyes seeming to follow him around the room. Although she was just a cookie Dusty had the sense she was somehow still very much aware of the world around her. And somehow could still feel everything.

Grabbing the kitchen knife he kept hung on a nail by the doorway. He slowly approached his cookie wife with a lopsided grin crawling across his face. he watched her try to scrunch away from him as he got closer.

There was just so much of her to eat it was going to take some time to devour every part of her as he had been feasting on her for quite some time. Though she had been locked up for a year in she was still as fresh as the day she was made.

"We haven't talked like really talked in a while. So, I just thought you should know that your father died about a month ago. You were the only heir so you got the money. It took some finagling on my part but Surprise Bouquet is just a whiz at signatures." He quickly ran the whet stone across the blade as he sharpened it, "Oh our daughter has a new coltfriend. I like him. He's a good kid and I think he'll take care of her."

Slowly Dusty approached the quivering cookie, knife in hoof. he knelt down and slowly marked along her front leg where he was going to cut. "They're all going on a long trip ... somewhat together so I figure they need something to eat on the way." He said as he slowly began to cut into the cookie's leg. As he did strawberry filling oozed from the wound, "You know ... if it's any consolation they thought you were delicious at dessert. I can't wait to have them over for the same thing next year."

Comments ( 34 )

This is so well done!

9419187
Thank you that means a lot.

9419318
Anytime! Seeing horror of any kind is welcome and I think that this deserves a lot more attention!

9419319
Thank you I hope you enjoy my other stories.

I don't feel sorry for her, that's karma at it's finest.

Karmic horror.. I love it!

9602913
Thank you very much.

Serves you right you horrid nag. She got her just desserts! :rainbowlaugh:

Even as a horrifying version of its self, that gingerbread cookie thing is just so adorable! I want one now 😍

9640120
As a pet or dinner?

9641281
Definitely as a pet! :rainbowkiss:

Wonder how Zecora would react to this?

9686652
Good question. She probably wouldn't be too happy thought I kinda feel she had an idea that something wasn't right.

Oh dear, I have the feeling that Dusty's wife is greatly regretting her decisions. That was a "sweet" little read, as I've always enjoyed the concept of taking something harmless and transforming it into a horror of Eldritch proportions. The scene where it built up to the gingerbread pony emerging from the box was rather satisfying, like seeing all Jasmine's sneaky ways come crashing down on her head. It gave me a pleasant Twilight Zone-esque feel, sadly Mr. Sterling wasn't able to narrate. Definitely food for thought when I reach for a gingerbread cookie during the holidays.

9824983
Thank you that means a lot.

Jeez Zecora, no wonder every pony thought you ate ponies!

Um... Zecora are you sure this was the intended result?

All's well that ends well.

10017179
That was awesome. Thank you. XD

9983476
From what I can tell in the comments, this was not the intention. The cookie seemed to change it's purpose and behavior itself. Maybe it was meant to strengthen bonds and show love, but as her true nature was shown the gift became a curse.

Loved this story! Jasmine had it coming!

Ho ho holy shit

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

you have such a way with... something, I don't even know what, but I love it XD

11499372
Lol thank you and I mean it. It really means a lot coming from you.

When is your next story

11515557
Soon. Been in kinda a burnout for awhile slowly I am getting out of it.

Login or register to comment