• Published 22nd Dec 2017
  • 996 Views, 20 Comments

Power of the Mind - Bookpony579



Can Twilight figure out her power in time?

  • ...
 20
 996

Chapter 10

"Well here she is. You'd be surprised how often I get asked about this."

The girls, Flash, Cadance and Velvet were back in Luna's office. Velvet was seated on the couch with Twilight and Sunset of either side while the rest of the teens were crowding around to look at what Velvet was holding.

It was an old photo but still in good shape. In it was a woman who strongly resembled Velvet and Twilight, but with light pink skin and white hair with a single purple streak tied in a loose bun. She wore a brown leather jacket with matching gloves, jeans and black lace up boots. She had a slightly bulky brown over the shoulder bag around her. Her eyes were the same violet as her granddaughter, and sparkled with intelligence, wisdom...and a little bit of mischief.

"Oh my, you two really do look like her!" Rarity gasped.

"What was she?" Rainbow asked.

"She was a detective." Twilight answered.

"Wait..your grandmother was THE Detective Aurella? The greatest supernatural detective and puzzle solver of the past century and possibly of all time!?" Flash asked excitedly.

"Yup!" Twilight smiled and nodded proudly.

"Woah..." AJ said in awe.

It was at the moment Celestia and Luna walked in. Celestia despite being a little bruised and beaten from her earlier confrontation, was quickly recovering. Shining himself had gone to help lead the search.

"Well they have search parties on the lookout now but I wouldn't expect anything. Likely the Changeling Queen shape-shifted again and snuck out of the country." Luna explained.

"Hopefully this will raise awareness and people will be more prepared if anything like this happens again. It seems like Chrysalis will have to bide her time until she can try anything like this again." Celestia finished, giving a hopeful smile.

"Oh thank goodness!" Rarity said.

"Well I'll certainly have an exciting story to tell you father when he comes home!" Velvet added.

"Though only one question remains: How did you two find Cadance?" Luna asked, looking at Twilight and Flash.

"Well...I'm not really sure myself. It was Flash's idea to head to Shining and Cadance's camping spot." Twilight explained. "Though you never mentioned why you wanted to bring me out there."

"You see..." Flash opened his backpack and revealed the book he had shown Twilight earlier. "During my study period I had more time to read through this. One of the studies mentioned bringing a psychic to a particular spot and their powers would lead them to a new discovery or they would have a vision about something significant that happened there."

"Psychic?" Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

Twilight glared at Flash, "I told you psychic powers were NOT real."

"Actually they are very real Twilight." Luna stepped forward. "I should know."

Everyone (excluding Celestia) turned to her, shocked.

"Wait, your..."Twilight could barely get the words out.

"Psychic? Yes...to a degree." Luna said simply. "Apparently the Moon Goddess thought they could help me with my dream magic. I've also studied parapsychology for several years."

"Wait...did you know?"

"I suspected at the carnival when I saw the Element beeping, but I wasn't sure until I asked you to give me a fortune. When I heard the rumors of your other predictions coming true, I knew your power would be certain psychic abilities."

"But the Crystal ball-"

"Is just a decoration. What you did at the carnival was called scrying. By looking at and focusing on certain reflective surfaces, someone with certain psychic abilities can see visions of certain events. Originally I suspected some form of precognition but it appears you have several other abilities as well, if what Flash said is accurate."

"I-I don't know! In the woods I just had these....feelings like something was guiding me. And in the cave I saw a vision of Chrysalis casting a spell on Shining Armor!"

Luna put a hand to her chin in thought. "Interesting.....you don't typically see someone develop such a wide variety of ESP. But they are common abilities of psychics. Now then, I can help you train and hone your abilities as best as I can. We will meet often, perhaps during training, and work through various exercises to help develop your psychic abilities."

Pinkie gasped excitedly, "I knew it! You are psychic! Isn't this so exciting Twilight!?"

Twilight's eyes widened and she sat very still, as though she were trying to process all of this. Finally, "No.....nonononono!" She ran out of the office and down the hall, all the while still muttering her "no's".


The group soon found Twilight in the Lair. She had taken the beeping Element of Magic out of it's case and yelling at it while holding it in her hands.

"Take it back! Take it back!" She commanded. The Element continued it's rhythmed beeping, as though ignoring her pleadings.

"Twilight, what are you doing?" Sunset asked as they entered.

"I'm trying to get this thing to take back these abilities but it won't listen to me!"

The group exchanged other worried looks.

"Twilight, Ah don't think it's works that way." Aj said.

"Besides, you know the rule! 'No takesies backsies'!" Pinkie exclaimed.

"I don't care! These powers don't make any sense and I don't want them!"

"Twilight..." Luna began before being cut off by her adopted niece.

"Aunt Luna...I think I can handle this." She turned to the others. "Could you give us a moment?" They complied and walked out of the room and shut the door, leaving the two in-laws alone.

Cadance gently took the crown out of Twilight's hands and put it back in the case. "Let's sit down." She and Twilight then sat side-byside on one of the couches.

"Twilight, what's going on? I thought you were excited about getting your power?" Cadance asked gently.

"I was...but psychic abilities? They're not scientific or magical! Theoretically they shouldn't exist."

"I understand. But I've also lived with Luna most of my life so I know these kind of things do exist, if only rarely."

"It's all just so...illogical! They don't make any sense! They're not like the other's powers! They just seem to come and go at random! I-I don't know the first thing about controlling them!"

"Twilight..." Cadance took the scared girl's hands in hers and gave them a comforting squeeze. "I know how scary this might seem and I cant imagine what your going through. But remember this: those same powers helped you realize what what Chrysalis was doing before it was too late. They helped you find me and got us out of those caves."

"But what about the predictions! At the carnival I saw visions of people getting into trouble and they all ended up coming true!"

"Maybe they wanted you to warn those people about what was going to happen so they'd be prepared when it did. Or maybe even prevent them altogether? The future isn't always consistent you know. Luna knows a lot more about these things than I do. Maybe she can help you figure out what's going on."

"I just don't know...

She looked Twilight right in the eyes, "If there's anyone I know who can figure this out, it's you. Your the smartest person I know! Not to mention one of the most powerful and skilled mages in all of Equestria! If your power helped you get through this, imagine what you could do when you do learn to control it! It'll be harder and take longer than the other girls powers, but I know your up to the challenge."

Twilight smiled, wiped tears from her eyes and hugged Cadance tightly. "Thank you."

Cadance returned the hug. "Anytime."

They called the others back in and Twilight faced Luna.

"Can you really help me learn how to use my powers?"

Luna smiled gently, "Twilight, I've studied parapsychology for many years and helped develop my own abilities along with many others. I would be more than happy to help you develop your own abilities."

Twilight nodded. "Ok then."

In the case, the Element stopped beeping.


Thankfully Sugarcube Corner was still open when the girls decided to get celebratory shakes. The others had gone home, exhausted after such a turbulent day and Velvet was chatting with Mrs. Cake, giving the girls some privacy.

"Well, we've finally got all our powers." Twilight announced.

"Ya know...I was a bit skeptical when ya told us about them. But now that we've got 'em, they're pretty darn cool!" AJ said.

"I wonder what's going to happen next?" Fluttershy wondered.

"More awesome adventures?" Pinkie exclaimed.

"More monster fighting?" Rainbow wondered excitedly.

"New friends to share fashion tips with?" Rarity added.

"Whatever is coming our way next, I know we'll be able to handle them together, as friends!" Twilight exclaimed and Pinkie pulled all of them into a group hug.

There would be more adventures coming there way, but at the moment they felt like their friendship could get them through anything.

Author's Note:

And....DONE! The final story for the first Arc is complete!

Who can guess who I based Aurella on?

I want to thank all you readers for giving me the encouragement to keep going with this, with all your views, likes, and comments.

I'll be taking a break for the next few days, but don't worry, I've got plenty of story ideas after this!

Happy New Year!

Comments ( 3 )

Hey there. Excellent job on this epilogue. Once again, VERY good job on the exchanges, characterizations and future story set-up in all the right places. I particularly liked the reactions to the reveal of Twilight's power(s).

As for Aurella's basis, the best I can think of is a female cross between Sherlock Holmes and Van Helsing, but I KNOW that is probably wrong .

At any rate, I will certainly be looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the next arc, but I am also perfectly willing to be patient because I know real world concerns need to come first.

8635902
Thanks!

I actually based her looks on G1 Twilight and Faust's concept art.

8635911
You're welcome.

And thanks very much for the correction. I figured I was wrong anyway.

Login or register to comment