• Published 22nd Dec 2017
  • 996 Views, 20 Comments

Power of the Mind - Bookpony579



Can Twilight figure out her power in time?

  • ...
 20
 996

Chapter 4

Cadance was in a dark area, like a cave. She was slightly dirty and messy. She was terrified and kept a protective hand over her belly.

"Hello? Can anyone hear me? Please help me!"


Twilight woke up, heart pounding and eyes wide. After a moment she remembered that she was safely in her room and gave a sigh of relief.

Just a nightmare....

She checked the time. It was surprisingly early, and the sun was just beginning to peak over the horizon. Realizing she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep no matter how hard she tried, Twilight decided to get an early start to her Sunday. She quickly got dressed and had breakfast before taking the crystal ball to her lab out back.

She spent hours examining it's structure composition and going over every geology and spell book she had but couldn't find anything.

"Ugh! What is going on with this thing!?" She eventually threw her arms up in frustration.

"Twilight? Are you ok?"

Twilight looked at the entrance and saw her loyal dog, Spike giving her a worried look. On a nearby branch, she could see Owlowiscious looking at her curiously.

"I'm fine you two. Just trying to figure out what's wrong with this thing." She pointed to the crystal ball.

Spike looked at it, confused. "It looks just like a normal ball. Only see through."

"Spike, last night at the carnival. I could see...images of stuff. Stuff that wasn't going on at the moment."

"I don't see anything."

"Exactly. Now it's just a decoration. But last night..." Twilight just sighed before taking a seat. "Oh who am I kidding? I was getting pretty tired. I was probably staring into that ball for so long, my mind was playing tricks on me."

"Hoo?"

"On me!" Twilight answered before realizing it was just her familiar.

"Well, then maybe you should take a break. I mean you've been in here for hours. Its almost lunchtime."

Twilight was startled when she checked her phone and realized Spike was right. "Ok. I guess a little food will do me some good."

"You bet!....And maybe half a sandwich for me as well?"

"Nice try Spike."

Spike groaned and Twilight rolled her eyes as they made their way back to the house. Just before they got back in however, she noticed her brother's car pull up and park.

"Shiny! What are you doing here?" Twilight walked up to great her brother.

"Like I said. I was coming to see you." Shining Armor reminded her as he got out of the car. "Cady suggested that we should invite you to lunch." He gestured to his wife who was still seated in the passenger's chair.

Cadance gave a strange smile, "I thought it's been a while since we got together. So why not?"

Twilight got a strange feeling again but decided to ignore it for now. "That sounds great! I'll see if mom's up to go." As Twilight left, she didn't see Cadance's smile start to strain at the mention of her mother.

Unfortunately after a night long writing spree, Twilight Velvet had passed out as soon as she hit the bed. Twilight just smiled and tucked her mother in and shut the curtains. She was used to this behavior whenever her mother was busy writing.

"Looks like Mom's still in her 'writing-frenzy'."

"That's ok. That way it'll just be the three of us."

Was something wrong with Twilight or did Cadance sound...relieved at the news?

"Yeah! Now hop on in and we'll get going!" Shining, however, sounded just fine and Twilight entered the car.

"Bring me back a doggy bag!"

"Sure thing Spike!"

Twilight didn't the notice the look of shock on Cadance's face.


They choose a nice 50's themed diner with a jukebox and waitresses with rollerblades!

They had just sat down at a booth when a familiar figure approached them...

"Pinkie Pie?!"

"That's me! Hi Twilight! How did you know that I worked here?"

"I didn't." Twilight was pleasantly surprised to see her friend. "Pinkie this is my brother Shining Armor and my sister-in-law, Cadance!"

Shining greeted her cheerfully but Cadance just gave her a wry smile.

"Please...just Mi Amore Cadenza will do."

Twilight turned her, shocked. Cadance never used her full name and instead preferred her casual nickname.

"Alrighty then, Mrs. Mi Amore Cadenza! Once again my name is Pinkie Pie and I'll be your server on this beautiful day!" Pinkie dropped off some menus and left them to decide while she waited on other customers.

"This Pinkie...she's the Element of Laughter, correct?" Cadance asked, brow raised. Twilight nodded.

"So....I'd bet that you keep the Elements of Harmony nearby, just in case, right?"

"Sorry, that's kind of a secret." Twilight was starting to feel uncomfortable now. Why was she getting such an odd feeling around the woman she's known for most of her life?

"Understandable. Wouldn't want any thieves getting their hands on the most powerful magic in the world, right honey?" Shining nudged his wife.

"Right..." Cadance tried to hide her disappointment.

After Pinkie came back and got their orders, Shining got up.

"I gotta use the restroom, be right back ladies." He said, leaving Twilight alone with Cadance.

"So Twilight, how's being an Element of Harmony been?"

"Uh...exciting, I guess? I have so many new responsibilities now and I have to prepared for any crisis at a moments notice."

"That must be very stressful."

"Yeah, sometimes."

"Well, if there's anything you want to talk about, just come to me." Cadance reached out and grabbed Twilight's hand. Twilight was surprised at how cold it felt.

"After all...we wouldn't want something bad to happen to you."

Twilight looked into Cadance's eyes and for moment they flashed green! Twilight shook her head and when she looked back, they were their usual shade of purple again.

What is going on with me?


The rest of lunch was uncomfortably quiet until Shining dropped Twilight off at home. She could feel Cadance's eyes on her as she entered the house.

"Hi Twilight! How was lunch? Did you get me anything?"

After feeding him, Twilight took Spike on his daily walk, with Owlowiscious flying nearby. She would normally listen to music or read a book along the way but right now she just couldn't get her mind off Cadance.

"Twilight? Are you sure your alright? You've been acting kinda weird since you came home."

"It's nothing. Did you notice something...off about Cadance?"

"Hoo?"

"Cadance!"

"I didn't get the chance to see or smell her. Why?"

"I don't know why but she's been acting so strange since she and Shining Armor got back from their trip. Like she's hiding something!"

"Maybe it has something to do with the baby?"

"Probably. But if so, why didn't she say anything?"

"Maybe she just doesn't want you to worry."

"Maybe. Augh! What is going on with me this weekend. Maybe I'm coming down with something."

"Hoo?"

"Me!"

"You have been kinda stressed lately. Maybe you should try to get some rest."

"That's probably a good idea."

But Twilight just couldn't shake the feeling that something big was going on....

Author's Note:

Cold hands, warm heart?