• Published 2nd Oct 2017
  • 1,970 Views, 17 Comments

Flint. - Petrichord



Princess Ember has to perform one of the less pleasant duties of running a kingdom: personally executing a traitor.

  • ...
3
 17
 1,970

A thin, sharp splinter

The misshapen hunk of crystal hung heavy in Ember’s claw, and she wouldn’t have it any other way.

After all, Ember had insisted on making this “sword” herself. It wouldn’t have been a big deal to get some other dragon to give her a sword or make one for her, but it was quicker to do it without asking anybody else. Of course, “making” the sword was sort of a misnomer: All she had done was grab a large hunk of crystal, chomped it down into the right shape, ripped the broken steel out of some unrecognizable ex-weapon found lying in her predecessor’s hoard and jammed her misshapen shard into the empty hilt. Presto, some foreign soldier’s loss from a long time ago was her gain right now, and that was what happened to those who defied her kingdom.

The soldier probably deserved what happened to him, of course. Ember didn’t know all of the details about what had happened to him - or any of the details, for that matter - but it was easy enough to guess the fates of lesser species that took up arms against dragons. The fact was that the story of his life was lost in the dusty haze of history, and it was a fitting fate to those too weak or craven to earn their own glory.

Ember hefted up the hilt of the sword. The vaguely pointy end of the blade scratched dully against the roughly-hewed rock of the cave floor. It was too big for her to use as a “real” weapon, but she didn’t need a real weapon to begin with. What she needed was to stop dragging her tail, step outside of the royal caverns and honor her kingdom.

Part of Ember wanted to look over the sword one more time, to case it for possible flaws or defects. Part of Ember wanted to call a delay of adjudication, to spend more time reading over different etchings on decaying scrolls and weathered stone tablets, searching for the exact right words to say at the exact right times. The rest of Ember knew that denying her position, even if only for ten minutes, would be ruinous to her and the kingdom alike.

All of Ember knew that she didn’t really have a choice, anyway.

Dragging her sword behind her, Ember stepped out of the cave and winced. The cloudless sky glittered in a magnificent sapphire hue, and a breath of morning air filled her lungs with an invigorating chill. She had hoped the weather would be slightly more dour, or at least not so blindingly cheerful. It might have attracted less of a crowd that way. But a crowd there was, from dragons barely as high as her knees to dragons with claws larger than her entire body. Some talked to each others in muted whispers, but most of them stared silently at her, waiting.

And there, in the middle of it all, was Garble. Garble, with arms held behind him by two drakes in rusty plate, glaring at her as if he was trying to kill her with his eyes.

It would have been less craven that way, wouldn’t it? Almost something worth taking pride in. Not that it would matter in two minutes.

Ember drew within spitting distance, as was the custom. Skilled she may have been in other tasks, but if five feet was all she could manage, then five feet it would be. If Garble wasn’t restrained, Ember realized, he would be in a perfect spot to go for her throat. As she locked eyes with him, Ember jotted down a mental note to remember that fact. Not that it would matter in twenty seconds.

“Release him,” Ember said, dropping her sword. Three things happened in rapid succession: Her sword clanged heavily against the ground, the guards loosened their grip, and Garble went for her throat.

Of course, he had telegraphed his intentions like an idiot. He put his arms out like an idiot as he lunged at her, too. Shouldn’t have dropped his guard while thinking she had dropped her guard. Her knees bent as she twisted her body, arms curling up into a lock as Garble sailed through the spot where she had been - then she clinched down, trapping the drake’s right arm while he scrabbled to regain his balance.

Too late. Ember’s foot lashed out, pressing firmly against his side, and his expression twisted from hate to surprise to horror as her foot pushed, her arms tugged-

The pop of his humerus coming clean from its ball socket might not have been audible to the crowd, but Ember heard it clear as the sky. She wasn’t sure that Garble heard it, too, but judging by his shriek of pain and the slight sag of his body, he certainly felt it. And in his pain and fury, he continued to leave himself open. Part of Ember wished that, twelve hours ago, she could have taken aside her self-proclaimed “greatest rival” and reminded him to learn from all the mistakes he had missed, risks to her life be damned..

Instead, she reached out, grabbed his left arm and let go of the other now-useless hunk of muscle. Garble was clearly doing his best to not scream again, but the wince that crossed his face as the arm flopped to his side betrayed weakness. It also betrayed a temporary inability to fight back. By the time he realized he needed to move again, his left arm was tugged in a lock identical to Ember’s first clinch. Up and out came her foot, it pushed, her arms tugged…

Pop.

Ember let go, and Garble staggered. He was clearly struggling to stand on his feet, and Ember didn’t doubt that pain-induced clumsiness might cause him to trip. But all he needed was a little assistance to topple him completely, and a kick to his spine, barely harder than a punch, sent him in an unbalanced sprawl into the rocky earth.

Even if it wasn’t practiced, it would have been simple and obvious. Shatter a dragon’s wings and wreck a dragon’s hind legs, and they’d still crawl over to tear their ankles off with their teeth. Cripple their arms, and you cripple their autonomy, and as it turns out without autonomy she felt like-

He probably felt like nothing at this point.

“Stay.” It was an order no more respectful than it would have been to a pet, but Garble evidently got the message. As the red-scaled dragon lay with his muzzle pressed into the dirt, Ember turned back towards the guards. “Get me a stone. Large enough to rest his head on.” To their credit, the guards exchanged confused looks before they left; it would have been uncanny if they had obeyed a command without question.

Ember turned and hefted her sword up again. Garble didn’t move, and neither did the crowd. But to the credit of the crowd, there were some knowing stares, some barely perceptible nods of the head. They understood, even if they didn’t understand why. A true leader was supposed to settle grievances with tooth and claw, not with tools. But her tools were just, the tools of a leader. They understood. Of course they did.

“Garble.” Ember began. There were ways she could have pontificated, turned the event into a grand speech. But the words, self-congratulatory and full of the bravado of generations past, felt ugly and bitter in her mouth. A merciful crowd might understand that expediency here was no less important than the expediency she had shown when she left the cave. Silently, Ember prayed that they would be merciful.

For what they asked of their princess, surely it wouldn’t be remiss to ask for a small slice of clemency?

“Let it be known that you have been charged with the crime of high treason,” Ember continued. “Reports from the Royal Guard described an uninvited intrusion into my caverns, coupled with a failed attempt to enter my personal quarters as I slept. They showed me a vial of a highly lethal contact poison. Do you deny this?”

Garble said nothing. Ember wished that he would at least try to lie to her, and make this last minute feel somewhat more justified. Somewhat more autonomous. But the guards returned, and as they tugged his head off the ground and wedged the stone underneath it and slammed his head back down again, he remained silent.

“I will allow you fifteen seconds to interject and state your thoughts. Should you choose not to, or fail to capture my attention, I will pass judgement.”

Garble remained silent. Drop the act, Ember silently begged him. Talk to me. Something better than this can come if you tell me the one thing i need to hear. Please.

Fifteen seconds. Ember pulled the sword in front of her, reached out and with her other claw, lifted the blade high into the air. Its dull, roughly-chomped edge gleamed in the light of the sun, and it wasn’t her fault the sun caught the blade that way, wasn’t her fault the blade was lifted into the air at all, these weren’t her choices. This was what she was supposed to do. This was what she had to do.

Perhaps Garble had fainted. Perhaps he had given her his choice when he gave in to pain. Which meant he deserved this, if he wasn’t strong enough to handle his consequences. It was for the best that he fainted, then, wasn’t it?

“Garble, as you have offered no convincing testimony to the contrary, I hereby convict you of high treason, and sentence you to die.”

“Wait!” Garble said, twisting his head to look up at her. “It wasn’t-”

It wasn’t Ember’s fault that the blade fell.

Thunk.

It wasn’t Ember’s fault that a dragon’s bones were so thick. She didn’t have any choice but to lift her sword again.

Thunk.

There wasn’t any liquid on the ground, by her feet, washed on to her ankles. It was a mirage.

Thunk.

This was her duty. There was no choice.


Thud.

Ember reached down and grabbed at the head before it rolled completely away from her. She ignored the warmth of the skull beneath his crest. It wasn’t a head. It was a stone, painted in color but full of nothing. Ember dropped her sword and held the hea - stone aloft as she turned to face the crowd. They waited for her to say something - say the right words, words that she was never told but that she was still supposed to say. A leader did these things. A leader did anything and everything.

Ember cleared her throat.

“Long live the empire!” She shouted.

Most of the crowd stood, confused. Those weren’t the right words.

“Long live the empire!” Ember shouted again. And now, the crowd began to understand. They weren’t a kingdom - they were something more. As was she. As were they all.

“Long live the empire!”

“Long live the empire!” the crowd shouted back. They were the right words, now. They were the new traditional words - the lack of precedence didn't matter anymore. What mattered was the booming multitudes that echoed her words, the delighted squeals of the hatchlings and the earth-rattling echoes of those who had lived for centuries, all of them filling the earth and sky with her name, her words, the new words, the right words.

And now the Princess - no, Empress - Ember allowed herself to fall silent. The crowd said everything for her, over and over, ascending from a murmured assent to a deafening cry. They would not be weak. They would not be craven. And they would earn power and glory with her, and the empire would cover the world and blot out the stars.

And it wouldn’t be her fault. This was who they were, what they expected of each other.

It wasn’t her fault.

Please, let it not be her fault.

Comments ( 17 )

A powerful tale of obligation and its consequences. You said quite a lot with a little here. Hauntingly well done. Thank you for it.

Even when he's given a chance to show SOME amount of bravery in facing death..... Garble became a coward. Like he always was.

Omake:
TS: Hey Spike, remember Ember, the dragon you left in charge of the Dragon Lands? Well, she may have kinda turned into a bit of a powermad tyrant, declared the Dragon Lands an empire with herself as empress and swore to spread conquest across the land in a newfound quest for world domination.

S:......Crud.

Spike's spines then light up as the cutie map displays his symbol hovering over a hologram of the newly formed Dragon Empire.

S: Double crud.

silvadel #4 · Oct 3rd, 2017 · · 1 ·

A dragon that kills by poison isn't even a pony.

The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

—A Game of Thrones

An interesting story that shows the difficulties of ruling an empire, country, kingdom, or any similar entity. Ember's character and her thoughts while preparing to execute the traitor were done masterfully, and it was given just the right amount of emotional weight to where it conveyed a darker tone, but not so dark that it took away from the story. The premise was enough to grab my attention, and the story itself was entertaining as well. Keep up the good work. :twilightsmile:

8462372
Seems to me the actual coward is Ember. She does everything in her mind to deny the simple fact that yes, this is her doing. It falls on her. Nobody else.

8466044
You mean executing an assassin who thought he could at least die with some dignity only to back down at the last second? She may have hated what she did but for a bastard like Garble she had no choice.

8466053
That's it. She did have a choice. Nobody put a gun to her head. She wants to be empress, but she doesn't want responsibility. She blames everyone for it, from Garble to every other dragon in existence. She's in denial over what she's doing, because she's unwilling to face reality. She even tells herself it's not a head she's holding up, it's just a rock, because she is too scared of what she has just done.

8466549
Okay. Keep making Garble seem more innocent for what he did so you can feel good about supporting him.

8466552
Oh? Can you prove me wrong then? Pivoting to Garble doesn't address my points.

Here, look at this:

And it wouldn’t be her fault. This was who they were, what they expected of each other.
It wasn’t her fault.
Please, let it not be her fault.

This is what I'm talking about. Ember refuses to acknowledge her actions. She's begging for it. She's a coward.

8466567
She's still a TEENAGER.

8466568
They both are. But no matter, is the quote wrong? It's just one instance. Ember keeps making excuses for herself because she can't deal with what she's done.

Look, attempted murder by poison is cowardly. So is forcing an execution and then acting like literally everybody else made the decision instead of yourself. That's not how it works.

8466580
She's in a position of power Spike gave to her and overtime she'll learn that sometimes being a leader is tough. Garble was going to be a monstrous dictator who would wage war on Equestria. I feel bad for her but she had no choice. It doesn't matter if her blaming others is cowardly. Garble is even more cowardly.

8466582
She is cowardly, though. Whether or not she overcomes it will define her future.

Hap
Hap #15 · Feb 5th, 2018 · · 1 ·

This right here is the crux of the story:

Cripple their arms, and you cripple their autonomy, and as it turns out without autonomy she felt like-

She is the one who is without autonomy. Though she is armed, she is without arms.

Have you ever been shot at while armed? You have very well conveyed what it feels like to have power, but not autonomy. To look at the man pointing a gun at you and be angry. Not angry that he is trying to kill you, but angry that he has removed your agency. Angry that he is forcing you to become something you never wanted to be.

In gunfighting school, they tell you to ponder the ethical, moral, and philosophical implications of killing. Because if you wait until someone is shooting at you to deal with those issues, you will hesitate. I hesitated, the first time. I will never forget those sixteen shots, or what went through my head in that short eternity.

But here, Ember had a night to ponder and reflect - a sleepless one, I am sure. This was no split-second decision she made. She could have walked away from her position, from the dragon kingdom, from the authority that bound her hands. What sort of violence would have erupted in the wake of such a power vacuum? In light of this assassination attempt, probably a lot of it. This one execution probably saved many dragon lives, but... She did make a choice.

Interesting dilemma, but an even more interesting story, because you skip the dilemma entirely. We don't even know whether Ember is aware there is a dilemma. But we feel her powerlessness.

8466589
I honestly think you both are right.
Garble was a coward for all events leading up to this. But so was Ember, she could have given him just 5 more seconds to explain himself. But she didnt and they both ended up paying for it. One with there sanity and one with there life.

Login or register to comment