• Published 6th Aug 2017
  • 1,186 Views, 34 Comments

Fear No Evil - Ice Star



Canterlot is silent and Celestia stands alone, weapon ready as she stalks her greatest foe yet in the dawn hours. Will she fight a monster or risk becoming one?

  • ...
5
 34
 1,186

Fear No Evil

Celestia prowled the hallways of Canterlot Castle sneakily. Her horn was flaring with shimmering, golden light as she breathed in and out with as much calm as she could manage, growing more nervous by the second. Though her long-time home, Canterlot Castle was no longer the peaceful place it had once been in the age when she ruled alone. Even the early light of her sun dawning over Equestria, having been raised moments before, made the simplest things cause her a sense of gnawing worry.

The stirring of the many motes of dust in the hallways was absolutely eerie, and the echoes of her hooves doubly so. Her reflection in a cobwebbed vase caused her to shudder, shaking a single loose feather to the ground. The discard sliver of white felt like an omen of some kind, at least in her mind. Yet, would it be an omen of victory? Or crushing defeat and a life of fear that would follow? She did not know. Perhaps it was too early for such a thing to be divined. Maybe she should wait... no, enough waiting. Could her own strength be trusted?

Her heart pounded and sweat formed under her mane. The sound of blood roaring in her ears was the only thing she heard, save for her own nervous hoof steps. She walked where nopony dared venture, and alone at that.

Here, she would find no mercy from the wickedness of her, who had felled countless others before her, tangling them in the schemes and horrors of the great evil it could unleash. Evil that rivaled any she faced before: Discord, her own fallen sister, Lord Tirek, and King Sombra.

None could compare to what she was about to face. Cold sweat continued its path, falling down her forehead and shining on her pale coat, now three shades paler with pure terror.

This beast lurked in her castle, and nearby, no less. It waited, ready to harm yet another poor soul that she should've protected. How many fragile, small things had been lost because of this negligence to act?

She wondered if things would have turned out differently if she had simply been more proactive. Were she to have risen from her throne and taken action before so much had been taken and so many lives were lost... would things have been any different?

Fear ran through her mind like water plunges down a chute at high speed. Each thought building up in her mind was something even more frightening than the last. What cruel fate would be in store for her if she continued this quest?

The castle halls were abnormally quiet. How long had it been since her home was once a cheerful place? Where was the laughter of ponies and their smiling faces about these halls?

She trembled, and with a shaky hoof, gingerly pushed a strand of her mane back. The shimmering bit of color felt so out of place in these dark times.

Her magic had not yet faltered, but her voice had long since become difficult to use since she set off on this quest. Her throat was dry and tight. She bit into her lip nervously and her eyes darted around the hallways, searching for any sign of the danger that now stalked her home, acting as though it could claim the territory she had vowed to protect with her life, and bring nothing but harmony to.

There were those nagging thoughts again, telling her how much she could amount to if she had simply gotten off her rear so much earlier. Behind her rosy eyes were the flashing images of color and fragile wings... and other features of those that had fallen victim to the foulest beast that had the nerve to walk these same halls with ease, and yet dart about in shadows despite its claim.

The magical aura of Princess Celestia flared brighter with new resolve. She had to win this fight, she simply had to. The lives of many depended on it. Her own mind depended on this - her sanity was hinged on this victory. She would not sleep until this task had been completed and her quest was fulfilled.

Revenge was a bitter thing for her, but it was revenge that must be had if Equestria was to know peace again. With its hunger fulfilled, she could once again rest and rule her land with ease.

Her hoof steps became more confident. The sound of her gold shoes striking marble rung throughout the belly of the yawning edifice.

She shot paranoid looks into every nook and cranny as the brutal embrace of fear tightened around her heart and squeezed at her mind, breaking it like a glass ornament. Was she right to have any confidence in this at all, or would things be better if she simply submitted to the havoc and destruction this creature caused?

No, no. She couldn't quit now. The princess had come too far, she had a duty to her subjects. How could she just quit? She couldn't! Once again, she had to save Equestria — for herself, for her subjects, and for harmony itself! There would be unspeakable violence born from her actions, but what she did now was fight a one mare war, and in war, this must be so. She had seen it before had she not?

And now, before her was the shadow of her enemy. It lurked in the distance, waiting for the mighty hoof-falls of the Princess-Goddess Celestia to run up in a foolish craze, most likely.

Inhaling deeply, Celestia raised the weapon she had grasped for so long, holding it unbalanced. This had gone on far too long for her to care about technique any more.

She ran forward, screaming a berserker's scream as her hooves pounded the castle floors in a fearless and brazen charge. Her frenzied attack would be known, and it would be loud! She screamed a warrior's cry and raised the proud weapon that would have to suffice against this creature, lest Equestria fall.

Princess Celestia brought the broom down on the spider again and again, until at last, she was sure it was slain.

Author's Note:

[Revised for printing on 8/30/2020.]

Comments ( 34 )

Why all of the spider hate?

8348537
I'm sure spiders hate us too, if it's any consolation.

8348545
They only hurt us out of self-defense...We hurt them because of evil fanfic authors need horror fuel.

Hehe. Spiderlestia is a cutie.

Even if i even prefer snakes over spiders.

I laughed so hard at the end. :rainbowlaugh: Welcome to my following list. :twilightsmile:

8348597
I don't even hate spiders; I just write a Celestia who does.
8349731
Oh, thanks! Maybe you're already following my main too, and maybe not. This is where I dump all my really lackluster stuff.

8350745
Yeah, my page says I'm an alt.

8350898
Uh, an alternate account?

8351054
:pinkiegasp: Really!? No wonder your stories are so good!

8351066
Oh! Well, thank you! I'm glad you're a fan~:twilightblush:

Never... EVER... tell Fluttershy what Celestia did. It would break her heart. ;)

8351274
It was totally the spider's fault.

Emm. Spiders bring luck. Have a dislike.

9789392
(Is this a joke comment?)

9792450
Not really. Killing spiders, no matter if it's a comedy story or not - I don't approve. Period. Writing's good, pacing, but the fact that you kill a spider? It doesn't matter that it's fiction, it just rubs me the wrong way.

9792652
It’s a spider in a silly story about arachnophobia. The spider isn’t named or even elaborated on as a character... it’s just a particularly unlucky spider. I don’t really see why that’s something so unforgivable.

9794536
Doesn't look like arachnaphobia. This Celestia doesn't run away, or calls for exterminator/pest control. Not that unless it's a dangerous spider with poison there's no reason to kill spiders at ALL. She hunts that spider down.

9794727
She’s afraid of a spider, so she kills it... which is a very normal reaction y’know? I’m quick to kill a bug if I’m fearful of it or just don’t like it, and there’s no reason for a grown horse princess not to be able to handle a buggo on her own. 🤷‍♂️

9796166
1) It's not a phobia, since Celestia can actively hunt insects.
2) She's supposed to be smart enough do know the difference between harmful spider(call pest control), and a harmless one(do nothing).
3) Out Of Character. Celestia is not one to hunt down anything. She's not Fluttershy levels, and she will fight if there's no other option. But she will not go out of her way to harm a living being.

So, NOT a normal reaction.

9796958
In the case it had been sapient, yes, that would have been the wrong response. For an ordinary, non-magical spider? There's no single correct response for handling something like that because it's just a spider. (And, uh, might wanna brush up on your definition of phobias?)

9798752
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/phobia
Doesn't seem like a phobia. Just an unhealthy dislike of spiders. Phobia would be if she locked up in fear, or something. As it stands she hunted the spider. By herself. She didn't call for an exterminator. Also, just becuase it doesn't think is no exuse to kill anything.

9798795
Phobia, if presented as a condition, is an irrational, exaggerated, and persistent fear of something that could be deemed non-harmful. Celestia showed clear signs of in-narrative panic aligning with a reaction to a phobia and had an exaggerated response in how she decided to dispose of it, opting for an ax instead of something far more normal, like a newspaper. Even the definition you linked supports how she reacted.

And again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with killing spiders. I'm sure it's a cultural taboo somewhere, but there's really no need to be so outraged over it.

Now imagine how bad that arachnophobia got after getting cocooned by Chrysalis at the wedding...

9952337
She’d honestly probably declare war on the spider(s).

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

So pleased you're out there countering the show's pro-spider rhetoric. :3

I have to admit, I was waiting for the "monster" to be a young Twilight in need of a good tickling. :V

9963674
I honestly don’t remember the show having a clear stance on spiders

(I would’ve tagged Twilight if she was in this, also who tickles a filly with a weapon?)

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

9963698
Like a feather duster or something? :B It's all very metaphorical up to that point.

And just look at what happened with Yona. Porpaganda, I say!

You really outdone yourself here. You made this confrontation to be so epic and profound only for it to be a itsy bitsy spider. Hilarious!

10070354
Thank you for the high praise!

Login or register to comment