• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 13,074 Views, 3,276 Comments

My Own Wings - Tatsurou



Fox McCloud raises Sunset Shimmer as best he can while protecting the Lylat System from Andross.

  • ...
28
 3,276
 13,074

PreviousChapters Next
First Star I See Tonight

The next course the group set took them to the central point of the Lylat system, Solaar. While not somewhere they would have gone normally, scans indicated Andross' armada was engaging in some sort of activity there, and that was enough for them to investigate it. As they approached, Rob read off what data was known about Solaar for Krystal's benefit. "Solaar is at the center of the Lylat System, but not its primary star. Oddly enough, what gravity can be perceived of the location is not congruent with a Red Dwarf Star, nor any other natural celestial formation. In point of fact, Solaar defies long distance scans, as any data collected from probes returns garbled and illegible due to the energy and radiation of the area. While said energy and radiation has been determined to be non-harmful to sapient life of the system, Solaar puts out enough heat to drastically raise the temperature of the space around it for a good distance despite the vacuum. As such, our heat shields will be straining long before we reach an orbit, and the Ar-Wings' systems will have to be rebalanced to prioritize heat shielding over other systems, meaning a drop in speed, maneuverability, and weapon strength."

"So how soon is that going to be a concern?" Krystal asked worriedly as they approached Solaar. "Are we going to have to worry about overheating in here?"

"I will stop the Great Fox before we reach danger levels," Rob assured her. He pointed to a display reading the ship's internal temperature and the status of the heat shields. "We should start noticing fluctuations soon."

Krystal stared at the display...and at how neither temperature nor heat shields showed a moment's variation. "So...how close can we get before we start seeing an effect?" she asked Rob curiously.

"We should be already," Rob observed in confusion as the Great Fox continued its approach. "But the only thing sensors are indicating is a strengthening of the magic inside the Great Fox...and in Sunset Shimmer."

"Wait, what?" Krystal gasped, spinning to face Sunset. The little filly sat staring at Solaar as it slowly grew larger on the screen. The marks on her flanks were glowing brightly, and her entire body was wreathed in flames that did not seem to bother her. Carefully, Krystal extended her hand towards Sunset...and felt only gentle warmth as her hand entered the flames. "Elemental affinity," she breathed in amazement.

"Elaborate?" Rob inquired intensely.

"Another theory regarding exceptionally strong magical fields in individuals," Krystal explained. "The magic can develop affinities, which can cause the individual to become stronger - physically and magically - in close proximity to the source of their affinity. It seems Sunset's affinity is fire. That would explain why her magic is spiking without pain or buildup as we approach Solaar..."

"And why the Great Fox is showing no strain from the approach," Rob deduced. "Sunset's magic inside the Great Fox and the Ar-Wings grants them a fire affinity as well. Solaar's heat will not affect us so long as the magic lasts...and the ship will be gathering more magic from Sunset as Solaar's proximity drastically increases her magical production."

"So how long until you rename this ship Dragon Fox?" Krystal asked teasingly.

"Never."

Sunset giggled happily, both at the feeling of flames surging through her body and the discussion.

Before long, Fox and the others moved close enough to Solaar to send back information...and the information was quite surprising. "This is no star!" Falco called out in surprise. "We're flying over lava!"

"What?" Krystal gasped in shock. "How can a planet have such a strong gravitational field? Or give off so much heat?"

"I think I have an answer!" Slippy called out. "I think Solaar was originally going to be another planet in the Lylat System...but it got caught in the gravitational anomalies caused by the intersection of the energies from Sectors X, Y, and Z. As a result, the planet was bombarded by so much stellar energies that it never moved past the molten stage of planetary formation, creating a planet of magma-yipe!" On the screen, all four Ar-Wings could be seen diving out of the way of creatures that erupted out of the magma to attack. "And one with life adapted to these extreme conditions! Bouncing bog bumps, this place is incredible!"

The creatures were about the size of the Ar-Wings, and seemed more territorial than hostile as they only attacked if the fighters flew too close, and otherwise ignored them. Eventually, however, a massive creature that seemed to be a golem made of living magma erupted out of the molten sea, roaring as it lunged for the Ar-Wings.

"Is it a bio-weapon?" Peppy gasped in shock.

"I'm picking up some sort of tech bonded to the creature!" Slippy called out. "It's been modified and-Sunset! What are you doing?"

Krystal gasped as she saw Sunset, wrapped in the flame aura, shooting straight for the creature. Turning to where she'd last seen Sunset, she found...Sunset, slumped over as though napping, her aura missing as her marks seemed to flash rhythmically like a beacon. "...well, that's not fair at all," she grumbled irritably.

"Explain," Rob inquired curiously.

"Astral projection is incredibly difficult due to needing to divert a certain amount of your magic into maintaining the link to your body so you know how to find your way back," she explained somewhat petulantly. "But apparently, Sunset's species have a biological spirit beacon to call their soul back from projection, making it that much easier for them to do so since as long as they don't stray too far they can feel their bodies."

"Okay, so she's not physically here," Fox deduced as he watched Sunset fly up to the golem creature. "So what is she-holy shit!"

The reason for his exclamation became apparent as Sunset flew into the creature, causing it to flare even brighter as what had looked like humanoid armor plates burst explosively off its body. The creature promptly lost its bipedal shape, taking on a more insectoid appearance complete with a semi-solid stone carapace and extra eyes. Sunset then floated out of the creature and began to scratch its head, cooing. The creature seemed to appreciate the attention.

At that moment, several of Andross' ships came in, plainly a resource gathering unit. "So that's what they're doing!" Slippy deduced. "The molten nature of the planet makes it a gold mine of mineral resources! We need to stop-"

The giant lava-bug turned and ate the resource ships at Sunset's directive.

"...or not," Slippy allowed as they made their way to dock with the Great Fox before seeking their next destination.

As they moved away from Solaar, Sunset returned to her body and woke up. She then turned her most adorable pleading expression Krystal's way. "Mama-"

"You may absolutely not keep it," Krystal responded firmly. "Even if we could get it off Solaar without killing it, there's no way you're old enough to housebreak a pet that size."

Sunset pouted.

PreviousChapters Next