• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 13,056 Views, 3,276 Comments

My Own Wings - Tatsurou



Fox McCloud raises Sunset Shimmer as best he can while protecting the Lylat System from Andross.

  • ...
28
 3,276
 13,056

PreviousChapters Next
Adventure: Dire Stakes

Leaving the area of the Volcano Force Point Temple proved to be relatively easy, with no new obstacles getting in their way. It took nearly no time at all for the group to make their way back into Moon Mountain Pass. Once they were on the slope back down again, Sunset's aura faded and she rejoined Fox and Tricky on foot...and not long after, they were caught off guard by an unexpected voice: Krystal's.

"Help me..." she was calling out in Dinosaur Language. "Please help me...I'm dying..."

"Krystal!" Fox called out worriedly. "Where are you?"

"I need Krazoa Spirits or I will die..." Krystal's voice continued. "Help me..."

Fox frowned. That doesn't sound like Krystal, he thought worriedly. Turning, he saw Sunset looked...tense.

A masked figure appeared, only half-physical, the mask high above the trio with a long robe hanging down. Tricky gasped in shock. "A Krazoa..."

"Do you wish to accept our test?" the Spirit asked Fox.

Fox glanced towards Sunset thoughtfully. "Test?" he asked quietly.

"The Krazoa Spirits won't loan their powers to just anyone," Sunset explained quietly. "Anyone who wants to call on their power has to pass their trials, and they exact a terrible price from anyone who would seek to circumvent their trials."

"You know our ways well, Child of the Sun Raiser," the Krazoa Spirit responded readily as he seemed to become more physical. "However, as you have been instructed, your magic is too strong to safely carry us. To attempt to do so would risk both the Spirit's pure-magic form and your high-magic life force. Of your group, only the elder is a viable host. As such, the trials are only open to him...if he wishes to accept them."

"I'm here to find a way to fix the planet," Fox responded readily. "I understand I need your help for that. I accept the test."

The Spirit looked at Fox for a time. "You are of stronger character than anticipated," it observed thoughtfully. "Do you not fear the danger to your mate?"

"That's not Mom," Sunset stated flatly. "It's her voice, but it's Ku-so'tsno, not Ku-so'tsuno. Mom's very particular about pronunciations, and wouldn't make that mistake even when calling for help. Someone's using collected samples of her voice to try and make us think she's calling for help." She smiled sourly. "Besides, if she were really in desperate need of help to the point her mind wandered to that level, she'd be calling out in Cerinian, not Dinosaur Language. We both know it."

"It is a pity you must be denied to our trials," the Spirit observed thoughtfully. "Already, you show both courage and wisdom. Know however that she is in danger, and only our power can free her...and help you repair the planet. Five Spirits still must be gathered to Krazoa Palace. Find their shrines..." The figure faded out of vision, as a nearby ancient door slid open. "Defeat the creature to collect a moon seed..."

"Creature?" Fox asked in confusion as he moved towards the now open door.

A strange beast with a thick body, bulbous head, and crab-like arms lifted half way out of a nearby pit in an attempt to attack Fox. Sunset quickly subdued it with a barrage of fireballs to the back of its head, causing it to drop the Moon Seed in question, a gray-purple seed shaped like a crescent moon settled on its ends. "I recognize these from texts!" Sunset declared excitedly. "These grow when exposed to fire into thick vine-like growths that even the heaviest of creatures can climb!"

"Which means we should probably plant it there," Tricky pointed out, indicating a patch of ground next to a wall near the open door.

"Then I'll check out the door first," Fox stated, heading into the revealed tunnel.

Sunset and Tricky waited patiently. Before long, Fox came back out. "More magic for the staff," he explained. "The Ground Quake spell."

"That sounds sweet," Sunset purred as she planted the Moon Seed. A bit of fire, and it sprouted into a climbing vine. "Let's go!"


The deeper path into the Moon Mountain Pass proved a bit more hazardous, as other dinosaur-like mutants that roamed with great rage and little mind. One such example was a creature that seemed twisted inside a spiky shell, generating intense flames from its body when approached, and only breaking down when frozen.

Moon Seeds proved greatly useful in opening paths for the trio to maneuver, as did the manipulation of gas vents. Deeper into the Pass, they came across a doorway with odd decorations into a small chamber with a large teleporter...a chamber that actively repelled Sunset. "Huh?" Sunset demanded in confusion.

"Must be a Krazoa Shrine," Fox observed thoughtfully as he easily walked in. "The Spirit did say they would be closed to you."

Sunset's face fell. "You mean I don't even get to see it? That's not fair!"

"I'll wait out here with you!" Tricky offered helpfully as the teleporter sent Fox elsewhere.

Sighing, Sunset leaned against the wall. "This sucks..." she grumbled irritably. "First I couldn't see the Volcano Force Point Temple because my magic was too strong...now I can't even see the Krazoa Shrines for the same reason! It's not fair..."

"They weren't much to see," Fox stated as he stepped back out of the teleporter, purple miasma filling his eyes. "Just an obstacle course and a puzzle, and the architecture wasn't really anything that impressive. Honestly rather bland."

"Still..." Sunset complained, only for her voice to stop as she caught sight of the glow in her father's eyes. "Dad, what the hell?"

"Language, young lady!" Fox scolded. "I don't want you swearing until you're at least 13."

"But your eyes!" Sunset insisted.

"Yeah, that's the Spirit's energy," Fox explained, touching his face awkwardly. "Come on, let's get back to the Warpstone so he can send us to the Palace."

As Sunset started to speak, the Krazoa Spirit that spoke to them before suddenly appeared. "You have proven yourself to be pure of heart," it spoke calmly. "Bring the Spirit to Krazoa Palace, and I will guide you further. Come to Krazoa Palace." It then faded away.

Sunset frowned thoughtfully. "That...that wasn't the same spirit as before..." she murmured worriedly. "It...it wasn't speaking the same language..."

"Then we'll just have to be careful," Fox decided firmly.

PreviousChapters Next