• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 13,059 Views, 3,276 Comments

My Own Wings - Tatsurou



Fox McCloud raises Sunset Shimmer as best he can while protecting the Lylat System from Andross.

  • ...
28
 3,276
 13,059

PreviousChapters Next
Over Time

Time seemed to move both very slowly and quite fast aboard the Great Fox with Falco's absence. He did keep his promise to Sunset to regularly check in with her, and sent her a thoughtful gift - along with a video message - on every birthday and holiday. While Sunset appreciated it and sent messages back talking about everything that happened, she found she didn't like having part of her family missing...at all. Sunlight seemed less bright, grass less soft, flowers less pretty and with a duller scent, and the sparkle of water seemed dimmer.

She wound up spending less time down on Dinosaur Planet and more time on the Great Fox, dedicating herself to her studies. She continued to push further with what she could do with her magic, as well as studying everything she could about the Lylat System, its planets, and the history and cultures thereof. She also threw herself into the maths and sciences, finding peace from her conflicted feelings in her studies.

One thing that surprised everyone was when she asked Fox and Krystal to teach her how to fight. It came completely out of nowhere, and seemed to have no explanation. However, she was adamant.


"Mom, Dad...I want to learn hand to hand combat."

Fox and Krystal exchanged startled glances as Peppy nearly fell over in his chair, Slippy dropped his tool, and Rob dropped his hand. "You what?" Fox managed to get out.

"I want to learn hand to hand combat," Sunset repeated simply. "I've looked over the Academy course work and pre-req's for the various courses, and the only thing I'm missing to get the Advanced Placement and Flight courses I really want is combat training. I don't need training with laser guns as they're little different from shooting a blast of magic from hand or horn, and all other weapon training is derived from the basics of hand-to-hand...so I want to learn hand to hand combat."

Fox couldn't fault her reasoning, though one thing about what she said caught him off guard. "Wait, you've been going over Academy course work? You want Advanced Placement?"

"Well I checked with Brobot about where I stand against others my own age, and apparently in the maths and sciences I'm already at post graduate level for the standard curriculum," Sunset explained simply. "And AP courses can push you through Flight and Command courses before graduation, so I want to give it a go and see just how far I'll get. That way I won't have to spend too much time in the classroom once the ACSU suit Uncle Silly and Shabunga are working on is finished. More I can get under my belt before then..." She turned away. "More time I can do other things when I actually can do more than study or explore a planet I know like the back of my hand..."

"And maybe make more friends?" Krystal suggested gently.

"...maybe..."

Sighing, Krystal stood up. "I can't fault your logic, so I'll start by teaching you Cerinian combat. It's more suited for mixing in magic like you can. Once you've learned it, Fox can teach you what you need to know of Lylat styles."

"Well, what I know," Fox allowed.


Sunset's combat training with Krystal went quite well, and she was able to grasp some of the basics relatively easily. Training with Fox didn't go as well, as he was forced to admit that he had never really specialized in hand to hand combat, since he was more of a pilot.

However, Falco managed to fill in the gaps, flying in to land on Dinosaur Planet to meet up with Sunset to train her without letting the rest of the team know he was there. In addition to the happy time spent with her Uncle who was gone for so long, Sunset especially enjoyed having a secret she could keep. There was a sort of illicit thrill to the training as a result that made it all the more exciting and fun.

Unfortunately for Sunset, things did not remain as happy as she would have liked. One day while the Great Fox was in orbit around Solaar to re-energize its mystic stores - and Sunset was astral projecting down to play with the lava bug she'd named Volca - a distressing message arrived from Dinosaur Planet. The planet itself had...shattered.

"How is that even possible?" Fox demanded as he stared at the image of the chunks of the planet floating some distance away from the core, like some insane jigsaw puzzle.

"Dinosaur Planet's core releases a huge amount of mystic energy," Slippy explained as he read over the details of the report. "More than the planet can ordinarily contain. To keep it in check, there are dark-matter crystals called Spellstones that absorb and disperse enough of the excess to maintain balance, allowing the planet to stay whole."

"That sounds like the whole planet was...constructed," Fox pointed out. "How is that possible?"

"Has something to do with the Krazoa Spirits," Slippy explained. "That's all I know. I'm afraid I can't really explain anymore, or get accurate readings while the planet is like that..."

"I'll go investigate further," Krystal spoke up insistently, grabbing her staff.

"Krystal?" Fox asked in surprise. She'd been silent from the moment the image had appeared on screen, and looked oddly pale as she spoke.

"The last time I saw a planet look like that..." Krystal started to say before swallowing against the lump in her throat. "I was flying away from Cerinia..." She looked straight at Fox. "I need to investigate this, in case there's a connection. I..." Her voice trailed off.

Fox looked at her for a time, worry and understanding warring in his eyes. "...you've got two days after Sunset comes back to her body to get there, investigate, and report back," he said finally. "After that, Sunset's going to want to come after you, and the only way to stop that will be for me to go myself, after contacting Command to officially take the job. Be careful, okay?"

"Will do," Krystal promised as she leaned in to share a chaste kiss with him before rushing to her fighter.

PreviousChapters Next