• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 13,074 Views, 3,276 Comments

My Own Wings - Tatsurou



Fox McCloud raises Sunset Shimmer as best he can while protecting the Lylat System from Andross.

  • ...
28
 3,276
 13,074

PreviousChapters Next
His-Story

Falco sighed as he sat across a table from Sunset. "So you don't like History," he observed idly.

"Nuh-uh!" Sunset countered, shaking her head vigorously. "It's boring!"

"Can't argue with you there," Falco allowed. "I found it the same, and mostly coasted through it." He chuckled as that got a grin out of Sunset. "Though if you don't like History, how come you like story time with Peppy so much?"

"Because Grandpa's stories are awesome!" Sunset stated firmly. "They're tons of fun!"

"So if I could make History fun and awesome, then you'd want to learn?" Falco suggested slyly.

"...maybe..." Sunset allowed nervously. "Don't think that'll work..."

"You don't think I can do it?" Falco bridled, taking it as a challenge.

"Don't think it can be done," Sunset corrected.

"Well, if anyone can do it, it'll be me," Falco stated firmly. "So let's see...the first part of History to cover would be Planetary History, covering how each planet developed through its known History, covering the culture and customs of the peoples who lived there in those times..."

Sunset blew a raspberry to express her opinion of that subject matter.

"Yeah, the textbook version is really stupid, isn't it?" Falco countered. "But you enjoyed playing pretend, right? Acting in character when you played with Krystal or Rob?"

"...yeah?" Sunset asked curiously as she turned a thoughtful look Falco's way.

"In that case..." Grinning widely, Falco started tapping a sequence away on the holo-table they were sitting around. A three dimensional grid of several planets appeared, each planet covered with a hexagonal grid. Several data files were connected to each planet, waiting to be reviewed. "Pick a planet and roll up a character. The better in character you act, the more roleplay XP you get." Seeing the confused look on Sunset's face, Falco chuckled. "You'll see. Just pick a planet and we'll go from there."

Shrugging, Sunset reached out and touched the holo of Corneria...


A few weeks later, Falco laid out the next set of coursework. "Alright, Sunset, we've spent enough time covering Planetary History," he began carefully.

"We have?" Sunset asked in confusion. "I thought we were playing Planets and Pauldrons?"

"Same dif," Falco allowed readily. "Now it's time to cover Interplanetary History." Seeing Sunset pout, Falco chuckled. "Now don't be like that. I've seen how eagerly you look at the Ar-Wings."

"I want My-Wings," Sunset pouted irritably.

Falco laughed aloud at that. "Well guess what? You get to." Grinning ear to ear, he plugged a controller into the holo table and called up a space map. "Get ready to lead a charge through space, as you step into the boots of the mighty warriors that defended and united our system until we achieved the peace we have today..."

Sunset's eyes widened as explosions and space fighters filled the screen, laser fire and bomb blasts echoing through the room. She slowly grinned as she began to play.

Watching, Falco grinned easily. And Fox thought this would be hard...


"So let me get this straight," Katt began a few weeks later as she stopped in to talk to Falco...and visit Sunset. "You were told to teach Sunset History."

"That's right," Falco confirmed easily, grinning as he lay back in his chair.

"And you spent the time you were supposed to be teaching her History...playing table top and video games with her," Katt continued.

"Yup!"

"And how long were you able to keep this going before you got caught?" Katt inquired carefully.

"Six months!" Falco crowed proudly. "With Sunset loving every minute of it!"

"And how much trouble did you get in when you got caught?"

Falco chuckled playfully. "Got yelled at by everyone! Was kinda fun, actually...especially since I'd told Rob to go test Sunset's History knowledge while Krystal was dragging me off to get yelled at."

"Why especially that?" Katt asked curiously.

"Cause I got to watch everyone's faces fall off as he came back in the middle of their rant and announce that Sunset had tested out of all Academy required Lylat History courses with straight A's!" Falco laughed happily. "Complete with using the characters she built for each of the campaigns as the basis for the special cultural projects those classes require!"

Katt couldn't help but laugh along with him. "And that got you off scott free?"

"Eh...not quite," Falco allowed. "See, Rob let Sunset go back to her interrupted game after she finished the tests, and...she'd just gotten to the most recent conflict that had been made into a game...the conflict seven years ago."

"Seven years..." Katt murmured as she sorted through what she remembered clearly of recent events.

"Sunset is seven years old," Falco pointed out to refresh her memory.

"...you mean...James?"

Falco nodded. "She got to the point where the game let her play as Peppy, flying out of Venom as James bought him time to escape Pigma's betrayal and Andross' rage..."

"I...take it she didn't take it well?" Katt clarified.

"She's down on Dinosaur Planet right now," Falco explained. "She's been...rather emotional about it. And there's less stuff to go flying around like crazy when she starts screaming down there. That and depending on where she is, the citizenry isn't as fragile."

"Yikes!" Katt murmured worriedly. "Is she going to be okay?"

"Yeah," Falco confirmed. "Peppy's down there now taking care of her, along with Fox and Krystal. They're gonna talk her through it, stop her from doing anything stupid."

Katt blinked. "...doing anything stupid?"

"Somehow she got ahold of a book of Necromancy and was trying to program a course for Venom into the Great Fox's computer," Falco explained ruefully.

"She was trying to raise James from the dead?" Katt gasped in shock. "...would that have worked? Where did she even get the book?"

"Shabunga, the merchant down in Thorntail Hollow," Falco explained. "He's not kidding about being able to get anything...though he really shouldn't have sold a cursed book of forbidden magical knowledge to a seven year old. Krystal managed to strong arm him into taking it back with a full refund, with orders not to sell Sunset anything magical without one of them present to approve."

"Cursed?" Katt asked curiously. "How?"

"Apparently using it would have raised an army of unholy demons," Falco allowed. "Not sure why that would matter if it would be on Venom..."

"Can demons fly space fighters?"

Falco blinked for a time. "Okay, point made."

"Speaking of Venom, though..." Katt began carefully. "The Hot Rodders have been picking up Venomian signals on Titania. Can you spare the time to swing by and help us investigate?"

"Sure!" Falco agreed readily. "I'm in the dog house here anyway..."

PreviousChapters Next