• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 13,074 Views, 3,276 Comments

My Own Wings - Tatsurou



Fox McCloud raises Sunset Shimmer as best he can while protecting the Lylat System from Andross.

  • ...
28
 3,276
 13,074

PreviousChapters Next
Adventure: Little Steps

As the trio reappeared just outside the Ocean Force Point Temple, Tricky turned to stare at Sunset. "What?" he gasped out. "You mean-"

"Hush!" Fox snapped out quickly, making Tricky pull back in shock. "We won't discuss that anywhere we might be overheard. If it's accurate, the knowledge alone could be dangerous. If it's inaccurate but the idea reaches the wrong people..."

Sunset shuddered at the idea as she wrapped herself in her magic, breathing a sigh of relief now that it was no longer suppressed by the Temple's energies. She handed the staff back to Fox as she got herself ready to continue the journey.

"Okay, got it," Tricky allowed ruefully. "Still...wow..." The group began their return to Thorntail Hollow in silence.


As the group entered the clearing where Fox had unlocked his lightning magic, they caught sight of a young Lightfoot staggering in the middle of the clearing. As Fox began to make their way forward, Sunset tugged hard on his arm to hold him back. "What?" he demanded in confusion. "I'm just going to-"

"Walk into a trap," Sunset pointed out flatly. She then turned to the nearby trees. "Must you all?" she called out, the shapes her lips made showing she'd shifted into a different dialect that was still being translated. "You know how Tricky and I will react if we're caught off guard."

The trees began to rustle, and several adult Lightfoot dropped from the branches, standing about Fox's height. "He is the storm!" one of them snapped angrily. "He is dangerous! He must be contained!"

"He's my father," Sunset countered angrily, taking a few steps forward as her Sunstones glowed.

The one who had spoken quailed. "But...but the Storm...the lightning inside..."

"Was brought out by wrath," Tricky pointed out calmly. "Do you want to see what that brings out in Sunset?"

The entire group let out a startled noise that sounded something like "Gleep!" before scooping up the young one and rushing through the secret entrance to the Lightfoot Village. The last one through turned back with a terrified smile. "Welcome honored guests, please don't kill us, please don't swim!" He then dashed ahead, leaving the entrance open to them.

Sunset groaned ruefully. "Really, Tricky?"

"...well, it worked, didn't it?" Tricky demanded petulantly.

Chuckling, Fox led the way in.

The Lightfoot Village was built at the edge of a swamp, the buildings resting on raised mounds with bridges linking them. The lay of the land and positions of the structures suggested that the swamp water had once been higher, but had lowered some time ago and left very fertile land behind. There were signs that both plantlife and swamp critters had been gathered as food for the tribe.

"This way, Dad!" Sunset called, leading the way to a large mound build of interlocked stones, a round door in the base with a stone circle blocking it. "Ah, they're still keeping it safe," she said happily. She then turned to Fox. "There's a Krazoa chamber down here, but the path to it will only activate when the Spirits are needed. I only know about it because I'm an honorary member of the Lightfoot Tribe." She held her hands toward the door, and it rolled easily to the side. "Come on!"

Fox quickly followed inside. It turned out the mound was completely hollow, hiding a massive internal chamber with a large totem pole in the middle. There was a design on the totem pole, but each segment was twisted around so the design was unclear. "I'm guessing we need to make the design flow true," Fox murmured as he examined it. "But how?"

"There's a switch up here," Sunset pointed out as she clambered up a few boxes, "but I was never heavy enough to activate it-Whoa!" The switch depressed as she stood on it, and the totem pole segments began rotating except for the one on the bottom.

"Here!" Fox called out, tossing her the Staff. "Use the fireball to stop the segments when they match!"

"Got it!" Sunset called as she caught the Staff in her magic, holding it close enough to the pole that she could trigger the fireballs just as the pole segments reached the right positions, completing the pole to display the design of a swirling spirit, the symbology used by the Lightfoot for the Krazoa.

Completing the totem caused a barred gate to raise, revealing a tunnel. When Sunset rushed towards it, she found energy blocking her path. "Looks like another Krazoa shrine," she grumbled fitfully. "Good luck, Dad."

"I think I've got this," Fox said warmly as he rushed through. Reaching the warp pad, he stepped on.


Fox raced quickly through the hurdles presented to him in the Test Chamber, each one being rather simple as it involved activating a switch near the start of the room that raised a gate at the other end, and then getting through the gate before it closed. A quick burst of lightning dash got him through easily, though it did leave him a little singed in the first chamber when he mistimed one of the flame jets.

The Krazoa Spirit, as usual, awaited him in a massive chamber at the very end. It gazed at him as he approached.

This is the Test of Fear, the Spirit told him in his mind. Stand and face your deepest fears without flinching from them, or letting them sway your quest.

Fox felt energy balancing within him, shifting back and forth. He shifted his body to match the balance, keeping it from completely leaving his body.

Succeed and I will be yours to return to the Temple, the Spirit intoned before vanishing.

A portal appeared at the end of the chamber, and what looked like Velociraptors leapt out, circling him for a time before lunging at him. As they leapt, Fox closed his eyes and braced himself, focusing his energies on the balance within. The danger seemed to fade, and when he opened his eyes the raptors were gone. Bursts of fire and ice erupted out of pillars towards him, and he shifted back and forth to avoid them while maintaining the balance.

A sudden scream caught his attention. Turning, he saw a silhouette of General Scales standing over Krystal and Sunset as they backed away in fear. Scales laughed as he reached for them...

Rage erupted inside Fox as the energy balanced within him by the Spirit locked in place. Before he was even aware of what he was doing, his blaster whipped out and discharged a lightning laser straight into Scales still flesh eye. The silhouette bellowed in pain...and the chamber returned to normal.

You have done well, the Spirit intoned as it reappeared in front of Fox. I did not want to show you the true shaping of your deepest fear there. It is...darker than I could stomach. The semblance thereof appears to have been effective, however...even with interference.

Fox blinked in confusion. "...wha?"

It is unimportant, the Spirit explained as it flowed into Fox, infusing him with its energies. Now used to his lightning, the infusion was far less painful and unsettling than the previous one had been. It wasn't long before Fox was warped out of the Test chamber.


Sunset was surprised when the first thing Fox did when he returned from the Krazoa Chamber was to pull her into a tight embrace. She didn't fight it, though.

PreviousChapters Next