• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 13,059 Views, 3,276 Comments

My Own Wings - Tatsurou



Fox McCloud raises Sunset Shimmer as best he can while protecting the Lylat System from Andross.

  • ...
28
 3,276
 13,059

PreviousChapters Next
Racing Danger

Sunset quickly sent the alert out to her friends. "Girls, we need to get moving now!" she snapped over the comms. "This place is about to go from live training to live battle, and we're ground zero!"

"What?" Raquel demanded as she raced up. "How did that happen? What's going on?"

"A battle against the last of Andross' forces!" Pris called out as everyone gathered, Faris getting there just ahead of Jackie and Diane somehow already being there. "We need to get back to base now-yipe!" She leapt up as the tree she was standing in unfolded into a gun placement that began firing randomly. "That's not supposed to be there!"

"I don't think this was an accident," Sunset stated as she pulled Pris out of the tree, getting the group to ground level and ducking under an automated tank's view as it rolled by. "Did it seem to anyone else that this field trip came out of nowhere...and has suspiciously few adult overseers?"

"Y-you think it was a trap?" Faris managed to ask. "But why?"

"Because in addition to being in the accelerated courses, some of us also happen to have rather significant connections to the military and quasi-military forces that might be thrown against the invading force," Raquel pointed out with a growl as she rapidly began tapping on her wrist console, causing everyone's Diffusion Weave garb to shift coloration to a more camouflaged shade. "Thus making us ideal hostages to use against General Pepper-" She glanced at Diane. "-or Team Star Fox." Her glance shifted to Sunset. "Not to mention others of rank high and low throughout the military." Here she glanced at Faris, who ducked her head to hide under her hair.

"Then why not send in Team Star Wolf?" Pris demanded urgently. "They may not have as stellar a rep as Star Fox, but they've gone straight and Wolf O'Donnell would love to have McCloud owing him one for saving his kid!"

"Wait, O'Donnell?" Jackie demanded in surprise. "Dark blue and silver fur, about yea high-" She gestured a height not much taller than herself. "-missing his left eye?"

"Of course you know his looks, he's infamous-wait," Pris paused, turning to Jackie. "How come it's his last name that tipped you off?"

Jackie carefully looked away. "...no reason..." she began awkwardly.

"Other than being registered in school as 'Jaqueline O'Donnell'?" Raquel pressed gently.

"You're related to that mercenary bastard?" Pris gasped in shock.

"Hey!" Jackie snapped angrily. "Gramps may not be choosy about jobs, but his folks were definitely hitched before he was conceived!"

Gramps? Sunset thought in surprise, finding the situation oddly humorous...a humor quickly dispelled as they were all forced to duck under further fire as the forces engaged in the skies above. "We can talk family histories later!" she snapped out. "Right now we need to avoid getting killed or captured and used as hostages."

"We'll have better luck on that if we can get in the air," Pris spoke up quickly, her feathers shifting as she sought familiar landmarks.

"Well that's rather obvious," Raquel complained. "But it's not like one of us just happens to have six Arwings stashed somewhere nearby that no one knows about!"

"...back at the temp dorms, actually..." Faris offered meekly.

Everyone turned to stare at her in shock. Sunset was the first to find her voice. "And...how do you just happen to have six unaccounted for Arwings to stash?"

"...he may be a pervy ass most of the time, but he's also rather overprotective..."

Pris stared at her in shock. "Faris, if we make it out of this alive, tell Zeke to join us for lunch, okay?"

"But he still needs to mind his manners while eating," Raquel insisted.

"Well, for now we need to get to the dorms while they're still standing and get in those Arwings!" Sunset insisted. "And last I checked, that's about 30 miles that way." She pointed through the heaviest part of the active combat, where laser fire, missiles, and bombs turned the once tranquil forest into a war zone. "I don't suppose anyone has any ideas how to do that safely?" She sighed as no one responded. "...how about stupid-awesomely?" she asked desperately.

"Sorry, left my trading cards back at the dorms," Diane apologized helpfully.

Five heads rotated to stare at Diane...who was standing in front of six All Terrain Hover Cycles not unlike those Sunset had raced on back on Dinosaur Planet, each bearing a single patch in their colors among the camouflage.

Sunset shook her head ruefully. "I really shouldn't be surprised, should I?"

"Oh dear..." Faris observed nervously as the group raced for the cycles. "I don't know if this will work-"

"Holy shit, these things have guns!" Pris squealed excitedly as she found the targeting controls.

Author's Note:

Another short chapter, but I wanted to get it written. Hope you all enjoy anyway.

PreviousChapters Next