• Published 13th Jun 2017
  • 13,059 Views, 3,276 Comments

My Own Wings - Tatsurou



Fox McCloud raises Sunset Shimmer as best he can while protecting the Lylat System from Andross.

  • ...
28
 3,276
 13,059

PreviousChapters Next
Adventure: Direction

It didn't take long for the pair to scour the entire well area for the White Grub Tub, though it eventually fell to Sunset to scan through the darkened areas for the majority of them. Despite the fireflies released from the lantern providing light in darkness, that light couldn't be directed the way Sunset could direct the light from her sunstones. The fireflies' light extended outward in all directions evenly and continuously, but Sunset could focus the sunstone light like a flashlight, or make it blaze like a flashbang, as well as only give a small amount of light if she wanted details but to avoid notice.

Once they'd managed to gather six - and saw there were no others growing as yet - the pair made their way back to the temple. "Your majesty," Sunset spoke up swiftly as they reached her. "It's Sunset. We've got White Grub Tub for you."

"Ah...Sunset..." the Queen murmured as she began to eat the proffered fungus. "Clever as always." Once she'd eaten the last, she slowly got to her feet, once more standing upright. "However, I see your father with your mother's staff. Has something happened?"

"We don't know," Fox admitted sadly. "In addition to trying to fix what's happened to the planet, we're hoping to find out what happened to Krystal."

The Queen blinked a few times. "It seems whoever programmed your translator forgot that we do not translate proper names," she observed idly. "At least, I assume so."

"I'll fix that!" Slippy called out through the comm link. "Just gimme a bit!"

"Is there anything you can tell us?" Fox asked hopefully. "About...anything?"

"This is all the work of General Scales," the Queen explained as she nuzzled Tricky, who had rushed to her side the moment she was upright. "He has risen to power among the Sharpclaws, and set his sights on conquering the entire world, with the intent of using the ancient power of the Krazoa to extend his reach further. It is for this reason he has removed the Spellstones from their proper places."

"But without the Spellstones, the world is tearing itself apart!" Sunset pointed out. "Because of how much magic is generated in the core of the planet. The Spellstones regulate it-"

"General Scales wishes to harvest the excess energy instead," the Queen interrupted. "It is his intention to use his technology to turn the core of the planet into a massive power generator for a magic armada with which to conquer the Lylat system. And if the Spellstones are not returned to their places to regulate the energy soon, he may just succeed."

"But the systems that restore damage to the planet can't be activated without the power of the Krazoa Spirits!" Sunset added intensely.

"You have learned our history and lore well," the Queen complimented Sunset. "That is indeed true. The Spellstones must be returned to their places, and the Krazoa Spirits gathered to the Krazoa Palace. When Krystal came here, she sought to deduce the locations of the Spellstones through raiding General Scales' flying flagship, and from there she intended to investigate the Palace in hopes of learning clues to the locations of the Spirits. However, she had the assistance of the Cloudrunners in doing so. Now, the Palace has moved beyond the reach of any dinosaur. Only magic or technology can reach it now."

"The Warpstone said he could send us there if we found a Krazoa Spirit," Fox pointed out. "That shouldn't be too hard-"

"Take warning!" the Queen spoke up intensely. "You must not allow Sunset to become a vessel for a Krazoa Spirit. Her magic is too potent, and the binding may become permanent...or the severing of the binding damage her when the Spirit is released." She then turned to Sunset. "And you must be wary of how freely you use your magic in this damaged environment. Until the Spellstones are returned, careless use of magic might cause the magical fields to react oddly to a powerful enough discharge...and carrying too many Spellstones may weaken you as they absorb your released power."

"So get the Spellstones to their Force Point Temples one at a time, Krazoa Spirits to the Palace one at a time, and Dad's gotta carry them all," Sunset concluded. "And don't break the planet even further. Got it."

"If a mechanism exists to progress forward, make use of the mechanism rather than trying to circumvent it," the Queen cautioned. "They have been put in place for a reason. And be wary of General Scales. He is far more powerful than he has ever been before, and we have deduced no explanation for this."

"And we need to have Tricky with us," Sunset concluded.

"Okay, I was with you both until that last part," Fox countered worriedly. "I mean, you and I can defend ourselves easily, but-"

"We'll just have to look out for him," Sunset insisted. "The Spellstones need to be activated once we put them into the Force Point Temples, and that requires 'a dinosaur of noble birth' to 'breathe life' into them. Otherwise, they're just rather unique hunks of rock."

"So we need him along," Fox allowed ruefully. "That's just great..."

"Our spies have indicated that Scales was last seen in the Darkice Mines," the Queen spoke up helpfully. "You will need the help of the Gatekeeper, Garunda Te."

"Neither that place, nor the name, seem familiar," Sunset pointed out in surprise.

"The Gatekeepers generally keep to themselves outside times of crisis," the Queen explained, "and only a Gatekeeper can release the seal on a location such as the mines so that others can enter. Presumably, General Scales found some way to force his cooperation. You will need to be most careful. He should be somewhere in the Snowhorn Wastes." She pulled out an oddly shaped key. "The Sharpclaws dropped this when they attacked me. Perhaps you will find it useful."

"Wasn't there a gate in the Wastes we could never get past?" Tricky asked Sunset excitedly. "That looked like it needed a key?"

"I always wondered about that," Sunset agreed as she grabbed the key.

"Good luck Fox, Sunset," the Queen spoke as they made their way out of the Temple.

"So where are we going?" Tricky called out as he followed.

"Your Mom just said-" Fox began.

"Are we there yet?" Sunset inquired excitedly.

"Sunset, you know this world better than I-"

"Where are we going?" Tricky demanded excitedly.

"Are we there yet?"

"...seriously?"

Author's Note:

Would have made the chapter longer, but...that felt like the good spot to end it.

PreviousChapters Next