• Published 29th Jan 2017
  • 2,868 Views, 21 Comments

The Last Day on Duty - Snuffy



Like everything else in life, the service of a Royal Guard has both a beginning and an ending.

  • ...
2
 21
 2,868

Epilogue

It had been hours before he could finally move away from the hallway, holding the album as if it were a newborn foal. His breakfast still stood on the table, but he only took his medicine. There was no future for him here in the capital— just loneliness and regret. He needed to leave, get a fresh start in his new life. One day he would return and mend his relationships, but now was too soon, the wounds too fresh.

He put the folder gently away and began rummaging through the newspaper, searching for the real estate section. It was there he found it: a house for sale in the town of Ponyville, where his son and grandfoals lived.

It would be the perfect place for him to retire, a lovely, peaceful home in the countryside close to family. He had never really gotten along with his lanky son, or his pudgy daughter-in-law for that matter, but this would be a fresh start. They had often complained that they had trouble finding someone to babysit the kids—it was perfect. He had so many stories to tell his grandfoals, like the time he had wrestled with a changeling during the invasion, or that one time Princess Luna had given him a peck on the cheek.

Marble Cake smiled, limping his way out of the apartment.

Things were finally going to be alright.

Comments ( 17 )

I like this kind of gentle world-building. I really liked this epilogue.

I find that, after reading this, I am left with more questions than I initially had.

I also find that the number of answers given is satisfactory all on its own.

Have a like.

7905707
Thanks! That's exactly what I had hoped to hear.

7905702
Not sure I get to count this as any real world-building, it's just a scenario playing out. But I'm happy you liked it.

Awww~
Very sweet, perfect amount of melancholy and relief. Thanks for this!

7906597
And thank you for the—Twilight brings a smart phone to Equestria story. :rainbowkiss:

A good little story. It gave off a kind of 'Gran Torino' vibe.

1) Friggen beautiful.
2) This is a piece that I won't be forgetting.
3) Have a f'n follow.

:3

A good, sad yet heartwarming story.
Good job!

Your an ass, my dog drowned in my tears, this was so sad I can't believe this, absolutely tear jerking and emotional, now I'm going to be in a horrible mood the rest of the day and I'll be thinking about this shitty sad story.

I hate this

Have a favorite and like, can't wait for more

7919367
Hopefully, when our time comes it won't be quite so dramatic. :twilightsmile:

7909021
Oh god, it's a pony Clint Eastwood. I'll need to go see that movie now.

7910954
I wouldn't be surprised if there are still places needing editing, alas, my English Grammar is currently not up to par to find it. But, when I learn and write more I'll definitely come back and comb through the story again.

7910653
I do hope those were happy tears. :heart:

Marble Cake?

And wait till he runs into the employee who is going to be ALL about the OOH youreaMarble and I HAVEamarbletoo!

It'll be a piece of Cake. Or a slice of Life.

9094127
I thought the same

9097451
9094127
Yup, his full name is Marble Cake.

The Roman Centurion's Song by Rudyard Kipling comes to mind:

Legate, I come to you in tears—My cohort ordered home!
I've served in Britain forty years. What should I do in Rome?
Here is my heart, my soul, my mind—the only life I know.
I cannot leave it all behind. Command me not to go!

Login or register to comment