• Published 25th Aug 2016
  • 1,453 Views, 12 Comments

A Belle-lessed Union - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof

  • ...
1
 12
 1,453

Speech Speech

The wedding had gone off exactly as had been expected. Princess Luna took her place and performed the ceremony. The music was on time and in tune. Spike stood at the altar, looking perfect as he waited. Snowy Night was an excellent flower filly, and Little Green Smith Apple was a great ring bearer.

Then The Wedding March started, and Sweetie Belle appeared, making her way down the aisle.

It turned out that Scootaloo was right. As soon as Spike saw Sweetie Belle, everything else was forgotten. The music, the decor, the guests, it all fell away. All that he saw was the most beautiful mare in all of Equestria walking toward him. Her dress, her mane, her eyes, all beautiful, all perfect, and all coming closer to him. He felt like he could stare at her forever.

It was only when Princess Luna started to speak that he broke from his reverie. He smiled at Sweetie Belle, looking at her up close. Now, he could see the blush on her cheeks, and a bit of redness around the eyes. Had she been crying? Tears of joy? Did something go wrong? Unfortunately, it was not something that Spike could ask about. He would have to wait until they were alone, provided he could remember that long.

After the chance for objections -- of which there were none -- came the wedding vows.

Spike went first.

"Before I came to Ponyville, I didn't really have much in the way of friends. And when I came to this town, I didn't think I would ever call it home. As I lived here, I found a place where I was accepted -- even though I was different -- and even loved. Since moving here, I've done a lot of growing and learning, and I've also done a lot of exciting things. I've gone through a lot of changes and taken a lot of steps in life. Now, standing here with you, I want nothing more than to take the next step, to have the next big change in my life have it becoming our life, together. I love you, Sweetie Belle, and I want us to be together for whatever happens for us next."

After taking a moment to collect herself, Sweetie Belle went next.

"Before you came to Ponyville, if anypony had told me that I would fall in love with a dragon, I would have thought them crazy or silly. After you moved to Ponyville, if anypony had said I would fall in love with you, I would have said it was ridiculous. Practically every pony in town could tell how madly in love you were with my sister." She shook her head, letting out a chuckle. "Then time passed and we actually started spending time together. Sometimes it was even just us. We went from Twilight's assistant and Rarity's little sister to friends. Then, it became more. And now, here we are, taking the biggest step in our relationship. When I was just a filly, the was not what I would have imagined. It is much, much better, and I wouldn't change a thing."

With that, Princess Luna was proud to pronounce the pair as officially married. There was lots of loud cheering from the crowd shared their first official kiss as husband and wife.

With the wedding itself done, the reception came next. The couple led the way as they and the guests made their way outside. A dance floor had been set out, and music was already playing. Tables were set up all around for ponies to sit down, eat and talk. There were also buffet tables, filled with beverages, the wedding cake, and treats including those from Sugarcube Corner, Sweet Apple Acres, and Bon Bon's Bon Bons. Some included gemstone on or in them for Spike and the visiting dragons, or whomever wished to try eating them. There were even volunteers who spent time with (the well guarded) Queen Chrysalis and her remaining changelings, allowing them to absorb the love in the air while being well observed.

Music played, creatures danced, food was eaten, wedding cake was cut by the couple and smashed into each others' faces (which Sweetie had an advantage in thanks to her magic). Soon, all became relaxed, enjoying themselves and sharing conversations.

A flare of light blue magic and a musical note caused the crowd to grow silent, turning toward the source.

"If I could have your attention, please," Princess Mi Amore Cadenza said. "We have reached the part of the event where those who know the newlyweds give speeches. Now, traditionally it is the best mare or stallion who gives the first speech." She looked at Scootaloo. "However, if there are no objections, I would like to speak first."

Scootaloo gave a wave of her hoof, then leaned in close to Apple Bloom and Babs Seed, whispering something.

"Thank you."

Cadance turned to face the crowd and cleared her throat dramatically.

"As the princess of love," she stated, "it is always a joyful occasion whenever loves come to full bloom. Having the opportunity to see such a time, to hear two declare their love for each other, brings warmth to my heart and a smile to my face. As a princess -- and on behalf of us all -- I congratulate you on finding each other and wish you a long and happy marriage."

There was a brief round of applause. Cadance's eyes narrowed as she smirked.

"On a more personal level, as the sister-in-law of the groom, I would like to ask on behalf of his family: 'when are we going to see children?'"

This got some laughter from the assembled, including Spike's adoptive parents, Twilight Velvet and Night Light.

"Now if the best..."

Scootaloo and the other two had vanished from their table.

"Well... it seems they're up to something," Cadance said. "Let's hope next time we see them isn't during an explosion." She chuckled, but was alone in the matter (as several felt that it was a legitimate concern). "Anyway, let's go ahead and open it up more. If any out there would like to say something next..."

Rarity held up a hoof before standing up.

"Oh, come now," she purred out, running a hoof through her mane. "Surely, you did not expect that I would get through this without trying to steal the spotlight at least once." She grinned, getting some laughter in response.

She then turned to face Spike and Sweetie Belle, the smile fading.

"As she is my little sister, I have known Sweetie Belle her entire life. I have changed her diapers, and put out many fires when she attempted to cook. There have been times when she frustrated me to no end, and times when I would do anything to make her happy, even if it meant shaving myself completely bald from head to hoof. When we had those rougher times, we still loved each other very much and always patched things up. Even if it meant getting... a lot dirty."

The last line got a confused look from the married couple, to which Rarity sighed and shook her head.

"While not since birth, I have known Spike -- 'my little Spikey-Wikey' I used to call him -- for quite a long time. As many of you were already aware -- and the rest heard during the vows -- he did have quite an infatuation for me. One admittedly I did take advantage of at times even if I never returned it."

Spike slumped down in his seat, blushing while Sweetie Belle giggled.

"Anyway," Rarity continued. "As Spike grew, I watched him develop some absolutely wonderful attributes. He's a very kind, gentle, and affectionate dragon, who will protect any whom he cares for, or even those he doesn't. As such, I could not think of any other creature on this planet that I would trust more to take care of Sweetie Belle." Her eyes narrowed. "That being said, let me remind you, Spike: should you ever harm my sister, I shall skin you alive and use your scales to make a lovely suit of armor."

She raised her glass.

"To the bride and groom."

The room was silent, staring at Rarity as the threat at the end of her speech loomed in the air. It was broken by a cough as Twilight Sparkle stood up.

"Well, seeing as this is my home, I guess it's up to me to break the tension," she stated. "And considering the groom," she grinned "I guess it's also my turn to embarrass him with 'gushy girly gunk,' as he would put it."

Spike groaned as he sank lower in his seat.

"Much like Rarity with Sweetie Belle," Twilight said, "I have known Spike for his entire life. I was there the day he was hatched, and he's been by my side ever since. He's been my friend, my little brother, and my loyal assistant." Tears started to fill her eyes. "He has been by my side through it all, cheering me on at the greatest moments, and comforting me in my darkest moment. He was even there when I got pretty crazy, trying to keep me from going too far." She let out a laugh. "Not that it did much good. But he tried."

The tears now started to flow freely from her eyes.

"And now look at you," she said, her voice rasping a little. "All grown up and getting married. It still seems like just yesterday you were the little dragon that was helping me, learning how to write and cook. I... I..."

Her horn flickered with magic and in a flash, she was over by Spike, pulling him into a hug.

"I'm so happy for you," she said, "and so scared. I don't know what I'm going to do without you."

There was silence at the two hugged, none gathered wanting to interrupt the moment. It was well over a minute before Twilight pulled away.

"There... probably was to be more," she said as she wiped her eyes, "but I can't remember it now. So, just consider my speech done."

She soon flew back to her seat.

That was when Apple Bloom and Scootaloo appeared, picking up a squealing Sweetie Belle above their heads and running toward the stage where Babs Seed already stood.

"Alright, mares, gentlecolts and all ya others," she said into the microphone. "Now that we got all them sappy speeches over for ya, we have a special treat. Let's hear it for... The Cutie Mark Crusaders!"

There was a round of -- rather confused -- applauds at the announcement. As the audience watched, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo hopped up onto the stage, setting Sweetie Belle down between them.

"Hey!" Scootaloo shouted. "You're in for a special treat tonight."

"For those of y'all who don't know," Apple Bloom picked up, "the three of us are --"

"The Cutie Mark Crusaders!" all three of them shouted, including Sweetie Belle, who was now grinning.

"When we were younger," Scootaloo continued, "we tried anything and everything we could think of to try and get our cutie marks."

"And often failed," Sweetie Belle added. "Horribly and with lots of property damage."

"But we had fun," Apple Bloom said, "and always stuck together."

"Not just because we were covered in tree sap either," Scootaloo interjected, getting a laugh from the three of them and the crowd.

"Now some of our failures were pretty spectacular," Apple Bloom said, "but some of 'em were worked out pretty well in other ways."

"And one of those, was when we entered the talent show. We failed as a music band, and didn't get our cutie marks, but we had a lot of fun, and won first place for COMEDY!"

At Scootaloo's words, Sweetie Belle tensed, eyes going wide as it dawned at her. She looked at one side of her, where Scootaloo stood, then at the other, with Apple Bloom. They were both looking at her with wide grins.

"Wait," she said.

"And now that we know that Sweetie Belle's special talent is singing," Scootaloo said loudly to the crowd, "we thought it was time to perform our prize winning song again. Only this time with her being the lead."

"Girls, no!" Sweetie Belle cried out. "It's been years since we sang that. I don't even remember the words anymore."

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo looked from Sweetie Belle to each other and grinned. Opening her jacket, Scootaloo pulled out something and unfolded it to reveal several sheets of paper.

"Lucky for you," the pegasus said with a smirk, "we know the original author, and she still had the lyrics. Even made extra copies." Her eyes narrowed. "You know, in case anything happened to them. Like an 'accidental surge' of magic setting these on fire." She then held a sheet out to Sweetie Belle, who took it in her magic, rolling her eyes.

"You two aren't going to let me out of this, are you?"

"Nope," Apple Bloom and Scootaloo both said at the same time.

Sweetie Belle looked at the paper, then at her friends. A smile spread across her face before she began giggling, giving a shake of her head.

"Okay," she said. "But... if we're going to do this, we should do it properly. All of the crusaders." The magic around her horn grew stronger as she took a hold of Babs Seed, pulling her up onto the stage.

"What're ya doin'?" Babs cried out as she was set down next to the others. "I wasn't here for this. Don't think I was even a crusader at the time."

"Doesn't matter," Sweetie Belle declared. "You were and are a Cutie Mark Crusader. That means you are singing with us."

"Yeah!" Apple Bloom and Scootaloo cheered. Scootaloo then pulled out another sheet of paper and passed it to her.

"Told you she'd want you in it."

Babs rolled her eyes, but took the paper and looked at it.

"Ready?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Ready!" the others cried out.

Taking a deep breath, Sweetie Belle stepped forward. She looked at the sheet, taking in the lyrics, and remembering how hard Scootaloo had worked on it all those years ago. It was funny, it was all so obvious in retrospect now. Although the fun had been in the journey anyways. There were no other ponies in the world she would have wanted to share those adventures with.

However, there would have to be one minor change to the lyrics.

The music started. Sweetie Belle took a deep breath, and started to sing.

"Look, here, are four little ponies..."

Comments ( 3 )

"That being said, let me remind you, Spike: should you ever harm my sister, I shall skin you alive and use your scales to make a lovely suit of armor."

Yipe.

7524466 Mom mode had been activated. Try to avoid agro.

Great chapter!!

Huh, nothing blew up.

Login or register to comment