• Published 24th Jul 2016
  • 1,028 Views, 166 Comments

Earth, Magic and Sparkles - Dreams of Ponies



All ponies seek to find their true purpose in life. What happens when the limitations of nature stand in the way of finding your destiny?

  • ...
5
 166
 1,028

Twisted Thoughts and Radiant Hearts

A strange silence had descended as we approached the magically sealed door before us. The dust stirred under our hooves, its thousand year slumber broken as we passed. Twilight began to examine the patterns of the sealing spell, a large circle with smaller, overlapping circles within it that spiraled toward the center. As I watched her work, I started to think about how best to approach the situation.

"So, any idea how we're gonna fight that Siren?" Cirrus asked, correctly identifying my mind's current train of thought.

"Twilight could raise a shield when we step inside. We need to get a good look at it before we can decide what to do."

"That's not much of a plan, Azure." Cirrus gave me a flat look, so I stuck out my tongue.

"We don't have much to go on, honestly, without knowing how big the Siren is, how large the area inside is or if it has any major weak points," I said, laying out the facts of the situation.

"So we're walking in blind," she said as she raised her eyebrow.

"Pretty much." I shrugged as I walked toward Twilight, who was still carefully examining the spell responsible for sealing the door.

"Figure it out, Twilight?" I said. The diagram of the spell was archaic in design, and to further signify its age, the lines of the spell had faded in certain areas.

"More or less," Twilight said as she furrowed her eyebrows. Placing a hoof to her chin, she gazed thoughtfully up at the diagram for a moment longer, then turned to face me. "It's a magical equivalency seal, though its design is completely different that what I've ever seen."

"So, then we just need to match the magical output to unlock the door," I stated. Twilight nodded, but she looked away, then scuffed a hoof against the ground. My hoof reached out and pressed against her shoulder. Twilight raised her head to meet my eyes, a soft uncertainty upon her face, and was met with a easy and confident smile. "Don't worry, Twilight. I know we can do this."

She smiled and nodded as while Cirrus' curious eyes watched us. "So what were the Sirens like in that other place you fought them?"

"Well... " Twilight said as she closed her eyes in thought. "They were vicious and manipulative. They worked to turn ponies against each other through strange hypnotic music and used that to fuel their discordian abilities."

"So they feed on negative emotions?" Cirrus asked.

"From what me and my friends observed, yes," Twilight said with a frown.

Cirrus shuddered, her wings tightened, and her face looked like she was going to lose her lunch. "What's wrong?" Twilight asked as she took a step closer and extended a hoof. Then she seemed to change her mind as she pulled back and kept at a respectable distance.

"Changelings can't really feed on negative emotion... the stuff is practically toxic. It makes me sick just to think there's a creature that can do such a thing."

"Oh, that's... " Twilight's eyes moved upward as she searched for an appropriate word, "interesting."

I stepped up to the ancient door, the gold-lit circular glyph before me, its soft hum like an audience just before the curtain rises. My hoof reached up and brushed against the seal, a soft smile upon my lips, before I turned back to face Twilight and Cirrus.

"How did you beat them, Twilight? Did you blast them with some crazy spell? Or, maybe, you teleported them inside a rock?" I asked.

Twilight stammered, blushed, and then fumbled out, "Um... actually we beat them by... singing." Both Cirrus and I raised an eyebrow at that. "What?" Twilight's coat took on an even deeper shade of purple. "We had to use the magic of friendship, which in that world, was apparently powered by song."

"That's silly," Cirrus snorted. "Does that mean I get to hear Azure sing?"

"Do I look like some sort of stage pony, Cirrus?" I huffed at them and turned to Twilight. "Is that really the only way?" She shrugged and smiled at me, her horn alight with a lavender glow.

"Do you have any better idea?"

"We could... hit it really hard?" I chuckled. Two face-hooves sounded before both of the mares started to giggle. "What!? It's a good plan," I said as I stomped a hoof in faux irritation. That only served to increase the volume and strength of their fit of laughter, and soon, I found myself joining in.

"Alright, Uncle, that's a good backup plan." Twilight smirked, and then said, "Let's try my idea first, okay?"

"How do your plans usually turn out?" Cirrus asked with a curious look.

"They always work out exactly as I intend!" Twilight said, hey eyes focused on anything that wasn't myself or Cirrus. "Okay, so when I open the door, I'll raise my shield around us and we'll go inside. We'll sing as loud as we can and hope—"

"Wait, Twilight," I said as I raised a hoof. "What song do you have in mind?"

"Um..." Twilight said as she looked around in thought. "The Equestrian National Anthem?"

I groaned, shook my head and then sighed. "Fine, so then what?"

Twilight coughed, then continued, "Then we just hope our friendship is strong enough to beat it?"

"Not sure how well I'll be able to contribute," Cirrus said with a frown. "Friendship isn't exactly a Changeling’s strong suit."

"You'll do fine, Cirrus." I waved a hoof at her, then gestured to Twilight. "We have Equestria's leading resource of friendship right here, so if that's not enough, then we're probably doomed." Twilight gave me a flat look, and I challenged her with one of my own. I rolled my eye back, pulled my ears out with my hooves and stuck my tongue out.

"What?" I said, or tried to say, but it probably came out more like, "Wahhta."

Twilight snorted, giggling like a school filly, looking away from me as she tried to regain her composure. Cirrus giggled right along with her, before then doing her own impression of my modern facial artistry. Soon I joined the mares, the sound of our laughter echoing out of the small hallway and into the ancient library. Our cheer lasted for a few moments before we heard a low groan from the room before us. The ground shook, my body rattling as tremors rushed up my legs.

"So if it feeds on negativity, does it hate laughter?" Cirrus asked as she took a step away from the door.

"If not on a biological level, at least on a psychological one," Twilight said, her eyes drifting upwards in thought. "I hope our theory is correct, otherwise we might find ourselves outmatched." She turned to me, her brows furrowed in worry. "Are you sure about this, Uncle?"

I'm sure it'll be a crazy disaster, anyway. "We'll be fine, Twilight. While the knowledge here is still very important to me, I understand how important this is. If anything else, it'll be a great story to tell to my great nieces and nephews one day."

Twilight's coat deepened to a color almost the consistency of blackberries, her eyes meeting mine as a small tear ran down her cheek. A few steps signaled Cirrus stepping up next to us, directly in front of the sealed door.

"You are both adorable, and while I'm loving all this extra gooey emotion, we have a giant, hate-filled demonic creature that needs slaying."

Twilight coughed into her hoof and I turned away to study the wall next to me. Yes, very interesting wall. Most unique, detailed slab of nothing I've ever seen.

"I'm ready," Twilight said. She sported a small, confident smile as she nodded to me. I smiled, looked over at Cirrus who simply preened at her silver feathers, seemingly undaunted at the task before us. My eyes closed as I opened my senses, feeling the energy around me. I could feel the great tug of the world's energy above me, as well as feel something dense and unnatural nearby, which I assumed was the Siren Queen. Taking deep breaths, I filled myself with the life blood of the world until the amount of magic inside me matched the growing sense of nausea building in the pit of my stomach.

When I was ready, I looked back at Twilight, her now glowing violet aura reminding me that she was quite a capable mage in her own right. I sighed and nodded, glancing at Cirrus, who was glowing a nice shade of yellow herself.

"Raise your shield, Twilight," I said as I stepped forward. "I'll open the door." I closed the remaining distance and reared up, forcing magic into my hooves as I did so. With a heavy grunt, I connected hard with the seal and forced the energy outward. The magic rings filled up one after another, golden light shining out from them like a sunrise through heavy, stained glass. A moment later, the glyph flashed bright, then faded into the stone.

Then came a huge boom, the doors banged open with a furious crash and thick red smoke billowed out at us like a monster hungering for three little ponies.

Buck me with a unicorn's rusty corkscrew.

---

I coughed severely, the rancid smell of rotting fruit escaping my lunges, leaving my insides feeling like they'd been scrubbed with a wire brush. My vision was completely obscured by a red fog, tinted by my magical sight, which was even thicker than it had been outside. I made a desperate but futile attempt to search for Twilight and Cirrus, who had been standing next to me only a moment ago.

Was it only a moment ago?

"Twilight? Cirrus?" My voice sounded into the room, and after several moments, came back to me in a distorted mockery. The room must have been huge, though I still couldn't see anything beyond my own hooves. I took a step forward, then stopped, my ears perked as they caught the slightest hint of movement. I could hear the scrape of something hard somewhere in front of me, which sent ever-growing chills down my spin.

"Twilight! Cirrus!" Sweat began to crawl down my forehead as I tossed my head this way and that, hoping to catch a glimpse of a violet coat, or a blue mane and silver tale. I started off at a trot, having no sense of direction as the red mist continued to burn my nostrils. I coughed and hacked, then spat up something even redder than the evil fog that surrounded me.

That's not good.

I upgraded to a frantic pace as I moved through the room, the smack of my hooves against the stone creating a steady percussion line to match the thudding of my heart and steadily increasing patterns of my breathing. Then I stopped as I saw something move ahead of me. It was deep crimson, and as it moved away, reflecting the disgusting red light that permeated this room along polished scales. From the way it scratched against the stone, I assumed it was the tale of the beast. I raced forward, my eyes furious as my hooves surged with energy. Then a huge claw of black steel and blood-red scales rushed at me.

Whoosh!! Razor death sliced the air where I had just been, leaving a large gash in the stone where I had just stood. It was huge, enormous even, its head stretching many hooves above me. The mist moved back toward it, the swipe of the claw having cleared a large chunk in front of the beast. I craned my neck upwards, eyes widening in horror. The siren queen stood more than ten ponies high, its golden eyes bearing down upon me. With wickedly pointed wings and even nastier claws, it seemed that the incarnate of Tartarus itself had arrived. Then it opened its maw and screamed at me, a powerful and terrible sound that sent waves of nausea through me.

My hoof stomped down hard, more to assert my control over my nerves, rather than any form of intimidation. Scraping it across the ground, the cool familiar sense of the cool marble helped to notch down my anxiety back down to normal levels. I narrowed my eyes and raised a hoof, magic tingling from deep within me towards the end of my limbs.

"Where are my friends?! Where are Twilight and Cirrus?!" It didn't speak, but it did smile widely at me, giving me a closer look than I'd have ever wanted into its mouth. That's a lot of teeth.

Then the beast shifted and I caught a glimpse of something lavender behind it. Lightning flashed behind my eyes as the bleeding form of Twilight was revealed just behind the siren's tail. Blood trickled down her chest, which, to my immense relief, was slowing rising and falling. My anger seemed to have followed the same path, initially igniting an inferno that wrapped itself into a small, but still intense pyre.

She's alive. Thank Luna, and maybe even Celestia. But where is Cirrus?

"Alright, beast,” I said as I clapped my hooves together. "Prepare to face the wrath of the mighty Azure, Slayer of a Thousand Monsters, Master of Ten Thousand Magics and the only stallion to ever make Princess Luna... " There was a cough, probably from Twilight, which made me stop and check myself.

"Right, anyway." I coughed, then tapped my moonstone pendant, smiling as the surge of magic washed over me. I focused, tuning my fire and lightning gems together, feeling the crackle of energy and the warm of the flame trickle down to my hooves. Soon, the energy sparked and flared around me, my blue fur now tipped with low embers. Thunder cracked and I sprung forward, flames spouting from my hind-hooves.

The first shot must have surprised the great crimson siren, as it only blinked as I soared up, then right against its forehead. My hoof was molten hot as twin waves of fire and lightning blossomed from the impact of where my strike landed. The Siren Queen reeled back, one of its large scaly legs moving up as it was knocked off balance. My eyes flashed, then in an instant, I passed beneath it and scooped Twilight up in my arms, her blood smearing against my chest as I held her close. I dodged and veered as the Siren took another swipe at me, a fierce roar echoing again and again until I thought I would eventually go deaf. I looked down after ducking and diving between the Siren's legs, then gently brushed Twilight's frazzled mane back into place. Her face was bruised badly, and there was still a trickle of blood somewhere beneath her mane. She groaned, turned her head toward me and opened her eyes to stare up at me with confused tear-ridden eyes.

"Uncle? What happened... "

"Shh, Twilight. You're going to be alright." I smiled down at her, then refocused myself as I flew up toward the ceiling. The roof was made of some old stone material, rather than the sleek marble below. I followed a curved path before I once again was brought back to the entrance. Then I noticed something strange: there wasn't an entrance anymore. Where there had been a long hallway leading out to the grand library stairs, there was now a solid wall.

"Another trick?" I asked, both to Twilight and to myself. I laid Twilight next to the wall, furthest away from the beast, who was slowly approaching me. "Don't move, Twilight. I'll deal with this creature."

"Be careful, Uncle," Twilight said as she coughed, then caught a glob of blood in her hoof. Her face seemed to pale as she struggled to maintain consciousness. "Where's Cirrus?" she asked, her pupils seeming to unfocus as she looked around.

"I don't know, but it looks like she ran away," I muttered. I put that out of my mind for the moment, seeing as I had bigger bugs to squash.

I turned and took off back towards the siren queen, trails of fire and lightning causing Twilight's mane to frizz like a bad blow dry. I floated directly before the beast, its golden eyes narrowing at me. I breathed deeply, pushing more and more energy from my core into my hooves, drawing upon my anger as a primary conduit. The magic collected and concentrated in my right hoof, a vivid torrent of purple flame in my vision.

"This is it for you, monster!" I called up at it. It was answered with a ferocious scream, which continued even as I shoved my right hoof forward. "Flames of Tartarus!" A powerful geyser of flame exploded toward the siren, wide enough to consume the entire top half of the creature and with enough energy that I felt my hoof go numb from the magical backlash. The flames washed over the beast, turning its scales to slag and its face into a burning amalgamation of pain and anguish.

As I watched the creature burn to the ground, which while gruesome, was still slightly satisfying, I looked around once again for Cirrus. Still, she was nowhere to be found.

"Damn changeling... where did she... " I stopped when I turned around and saw that Twilight was gone. Through the clearing fog, I could clearly see the blood stained floor where I had set her down, but she wasn't there, nor were there any streaks suggesting she'd crawled away. I spun around, my heart having decided to thud harder in my chest now than when I was fighting the giant clawed demon. Trotting around, I found myself approaching the smoldering remains of the siren queen, which had now shrunken to a rather small husk.

I stepped closer, my eyes narrowing as I tried not to breath in the charbroiled smoke that rose off the body.

Then I saw it. It wasn't the Siren, or any sort of monster.

It was Twilight. Toasted, boiled and roasted to a crisp.

The scream that escaped me was far louder and more terrible than anything the Siren could have mustered.

---

I gasped for breath, falling down onto my knees with a hard crack against the marble floor. I looked up into the red mist once more, the image of a burnt and smoldered Twilight still lingering in my mind. I stood up shakily, taking a few deep breaths, then managed to call out once more.

"Twilight? Cirrus! Anypony!" Then I heard hoof-steps move towards me.

Clip-clop. Clip-Clop. The mist seemed to both part and twister around the pony figure that slowly approached. A flash of violet eyes, followed by the unfurling of wings announced Twilight's appearance.

"I'm here, Uncle."

Her hooves clopped against the marble floor with slow, deliberate steps. Each one seeming to echo louder and louder into the chamber, my heart beginning to hammer along to the same rhythm. Her eyes stared into mine, never wandering, never blinking, until finally she was only a pony's length away from me. A small smile crept onto her face, but didn't reach her eyes as she spoke.

"Goodbye, Uncle."

What?

Then I was hammered with an immense blast of magic, which tore straight through my side. I staggered, almost losing consciousness on the spot. I gasped for breath, my vision blurring as I felt to one knee. I looked up into Twilight's violet eyes and saw nothing. No life, no soul, no spark, and then I understood.

"This is just another illusion... isn't it?' I asked, both to Twilight and myself. She gazed down at me, no hatred or malice, only a blank empty stare.

"Maybe," she said as her horn lit up once more, “but are you willing to take that risk, Uncle Azure?"

She fired another blast of magic at me, taking the form of violet lightning bolts. This time I dodged, tumbling sideways the best I could manage. My sides screamed in pain. Illusion or not, the loss of blood not only hurt more than almost anything I could imagine, but also made me feel rather woozy.

"Stop this, Twilight," I said, even though I knew that she probably wasn't real. She stepped closer. Clip-clop. Clip-Clop. Ever Closer.

My hooves slid back, instinctively playing towards a defensive stance. I didn't want to fight Twilight again, magical illusion or not. I tapped my moonstone pendant once more, feeling the hum of my water stone resonate along with it. As I readied myself, Twilight once more charging her horn for an attack, I noticed something strange. If that last fight had all been in my head, then why were my magical reserves far more depleted than they had been?

I didn't have much time to contemplate this as Twilight ripped the ground out from under me, a great heaving slab of marble, easily twenty times larger than her body. It twirled in the air, a spray of small rocks and pebbles showered down upon me. Then Twilight flicked her head forward, and it sailed towards me at the speed of, "Oh, for the love of Luna."

Water blasted from the tips of my hooves as I launched high into the air, the red mist swirling away like red dye down a shower drain. Twilight, or the illusion that had assumed her shape, called forth a spark of flame which quickly grew into a massive sphere of burning death. My hooves touched back down and I cringed in pain as blood gushed from my side. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and then felt cold flow from my body. The water coating the tips of my hooves turned to ice, which I quickly used to seal the wound.

Sweet, merciful Luna, that smarts. I scowled up at the flame, like a miniature sun at this point. Ice crept out along the marble floor, emanating from my hooves.

"I don't want to fight you, Twilight!' I shouted up to her. The searing flames obscured the air in front of her, making it impossible to make out her facial expression.

"This is the way things have to be, Uncle," I heard from over the blazing heat. She hurled the massive fire toward me as I readied myself, hooves up and breath held.

Then it was all gone. Twilight, the giant sphere of fire. Even the blood and ice dripping from my side.

I looked around, but the room was empty, save for the ever-present mist tinted red by my magical vision. Though now, that was also beginning to fade, a sure sign that my magical reserves were faltering. I trotted around, my eyes searching automatically, but again, finding no sign of Twilight or Cirrus. My hooves echoed into the massive chamber before I skidded to a stop and held them up to my head.

"What the buck is going on!" I screamed into the void. Then I heard something strange. A voice from the other side of the madness. Soft, sweet and sure, I heard words spoken to a dear friend.

"But now it's moving closer to the light. How long will a broken heart stay whole?"

I spun around, frantically trying to spot the source of the voice. But then, somehow I felt that it was coming from outside the cavern, but also, inside my head. I groaned in confusion, then there was a flash of light.

The giant ball of fire flew towards me, and I barely had a chance to react, the heat seeming to have melted my mental faculties before it even singed my silver mane. I screamed as I slammed my hooves down, the ice crawling from the impact point, which formed a magical glyph upon the floor.

"Seal of the Windigos: Torrential Ice Wall!"

The magical symbols shone brightly, then I was thrown back as a wave of ice irrupted outward in an enormous wave. The tips of the tsunami of ice forms into raging horses, their ferocious neighs almost laughing the wave of flame as they smothered it with ease. I panted hard, the magical exertion having almost drained me completely. I fell back, then groaned again as the aching wound in my side throbbed terribly. I held my hooves over the red ice as I watched the rising steam, the result of the large amount of ice enveloping super-heated flame.

Then I saw Twilight step out for the cataclysm of magic, unmarred and unfazed. Her eyes were blank as she slowly made her way toward me.

"This isn't real... " I said as I looked away from her.

"It feels real, and that's all that matters," the fake Twilight's voice oozed.

"You twisted, evil, manipulative monster," I said as I stood up. "Get out of my head before... before I get peeved!" Then she grew the first sincere smile since we started this little travesty, a wicked thing that didn't belong on my niece's face.

"We're going to keep you here forever, Uncle." The words felt like venom from her lips, her eyes now filled with a terrible energy. "We're going to make you suffer in this world, until you finally crack."

"I won't let you win, monster!" I stood up, my gaze fierce even as I tried to keep steady.

"You don't have a choice." Fearsome red lightning crackled from her horn like evil hands reaching out to strangle me.

Then I blinked, and she was gone.

The chamber was empty again, my side was no longer a bloody mess of ice and fur and the carnage from a moment ago was cleared. I looked out into the emptiness and wept.

"Somepony! Anypony!" I yelled, hot tears trickling down my face. Then I heard it again. That same bright voice, quiet, but strong.

"I know you're afraid, but don't let go.
No, I won't let this be our last goodbye."

"Who's there?!" I called out, my head turning so hard it cricked my neck as I searched. "Anypony?" The voice seemed to reverberate through the stone, then through my very bones.

Then I was struck through once more with lightning. I roared in pain, the fiery sensation now ripping through my entire body. I looked up see Twilight smirking, just before her horn flashed again. Another flash, this one blinding, filled the cavern and Twilight disappeared again.

"This is madness... " I muttered. Standing up, I closed my eyes and listened, listened for the song I knew would come. Soon enough, it trickled into my ear, the sweet honeyed melody of a pleading friend.

"How long is forever in your eyes?
'Cause I'm not giving up on you tonight.
I want to believe love never dies,
but now it's moving closer to the light."

This time, I actually picked up on a direction, my hooves taking me forward through the mist, now white as my magical vision faded completely. The voice called out, the venomous mist being pushed away in the opposite direction I headed. Louder and stronger, the sweet voice called into this world, my mind or not, and I followed, because the alternative was torturous.

"Lost in time,
my open heart,
left behind.
A world apart,
with nowhere to run.
I'm broken and bruised,
and I don't want to live without you.
A different expanse,
just too far away,
you left me without a mainstay."

There it was, a shimmering golden light, the shape of a full-length mirror. It glowed softly as I peered into it, and my eyes widened at what I saw: Cirrus, crying with her head arched upward, her mouth moving in song. Tears streamed down her coat as she held a small glowing orb close to her chest. The same orb we had been given by the old zebra in the village. Then my mouth fell open when I noticed my body sitting in front of her, my face free of any sign of life. I quickly reached into the shimmering air, which tickled my fur as it passed through the surface.

---

Like falling out of bed, I moved wearily as the world reoriented itself around me. I turned around, the ground still seeming to spin, and looked right at Cirrus. The pegasus was smiling at me, her blue mane hanging down past her watery eyes. I reached over and gently pushed the strands back and smiled back at her.

"Thank you, Cirrus. I'm... I'm sorry for doubting you." She just continued to smile at me, most of her focus on the glowing orb between her hooves. I could feel a radiant energy emitting from it, but somehow it felt different than it had earlier in the forest. Just outside the gentle magic was the tainted fog, threatening to tear at our minds and hearts.

"Where's Twilight?" I asked as I glanced around. "And what was that song?" Then I saw the soft feather along the ground, Twilight having fallen forward with her wings outspread. I ran to her and pulled her away from the edge of the magical aura. As I turned Twilight on her side, her face showed the same emptiness mind had. I frowned as I shook her shoulder, first gently, then a little harder.

"Twilight! Twilight, wake up!"

"She's trapped... " came the strained voice of Cirrus from behind me. "Just as you were."

"How do we save her? I asked. "How did you save me?"

"The magic of friendship," Cirrus said with a small chuckle, her face still strained in focus. "I'm almost out, though."

"You're feeding it your own energy?" I carried Twilight next to her, setting her gently across my hooves as I sat next to Cirrus. She held the orb out to me, the small golden sphere still emitting a feeble pulse. The aura of protection seemed to fade and shrink each second that passed, so I grabbed hold of the orb as well. A warmth spread through me as images flashed through my mind. The familiar voice of a mare echoed in my mind, but I couldn't quite place it. She sang of love, of friendship, of loss and persistence.

Words of the old zebra came floating back to me as I gazed out into the fog, "This gem will shield you for a time, without the need for songs of rhyme. But if for some reason its magic should fall, into the mist your voices filled with love must call"

So be it. I opened my mouth and sang, sang along with the words of the gentle mare that rang in my mind. Together, Cirrus and I filled the room with our voices, a wave of warmth to fight against the tide of foul fog.

"How long is forever in your eyes?
'cause I'm not giving up on you tonight.
I want to believe love never dies,
but now it's moving closer to the light.
How long will a broken heart stay whole?
'Cause I feel like I'm falling apart inside.
I know you're afraid, but don't let go,
no, I won't let this be our last goodbye."

The aura of golden light expanded outward, the mist seeming to give an angry hiss as it was pushed back. I looked down at Twilight, her head resting against my legs. After a few moments, she stirred, her eyes fluttering as she looked up at me. She groaned as she slowly sat up, having to press one hoof to the ground to steady herself.

"Ugh, what happened?"

"Mind control, epic battles and finally, a ballad of friendship," I chuckled.

"Sounds like one of my bad fanfictions," Twilight said with a snort. I laughed, still holding onto the orb. I looked at the pair of hooves that held it alongside mine and followed them to meet Cirrus's bright green eyes. Then, before my eyes, her coat melted in a billow of green flame, her black shell shining like polished obsidian. She slumped, and I moved forward to catch her as her face fell toward the marble floor.

"Cirrus?' I asked in alarm. She struggled to sit back up, the golden orb still held shakily in her hooves.

"I'm almost out... of love," she gasped, then pointed behind me, "and the door is... "

I turned to see the magical sealing glyph shining on what I assumed was the opposite side of the door we had entered. Whole and intact, it obstructed any chance of immediate retreat. I hadn't planned on running away, but knowing that this had to be settled here and now helped give more weight to the surreal situation in my mind.

"We need to end this as quickly as possible, " I said as I turned back to face then. "Twilight, can you... " I started to ask, then stopped in shock as I saw Twilight focus. Her horn lit briefly, then sparkled and fizzled out. She hung her head in defeat.

"I can barely feel my horn, let alone cast a spell... I was just fighting that thing, but how... " she trailed off tried to process what happened.

I'm feeling rather drained myself

Cirrus, who was barely standing upright, the sphere of light clutched in her hooves, groaned in anguish.

"I'm... I'm not gonna last much longer." Her front knees buckled, and I rushed to her. My hoof went out and steadied her, Cirrus's chitinous head resting against my chest. "I can't feel my hooves... "

"What can I do?” I asked her, the green light in her eyes slowly fading, like a setting sun reflected off a kelp-filled ocean. She gripped the orb tightly with one hoof and grasped my leg with her other.

"I need food," she said, her grip slipping.

"What, I've got fruitcake and bread and... " Twilight put her hoof on my shoulder and shook her head.

"She means love energy, you silly blue pony."

"Oh, well... " I looked down at Cirrus, her Changeling form seeming to shrivel before me. She had given everything she had to protect us, and even had saved my life on several other occasions. Sassy, silly and a bit perverted, I feel like we were getting closer as friends, but love, it'd been so long since I'd felt that way about a mare.

"I can't say I feel that way about you, Cirrus, not so soon. But I do care about you, and you've proven yourself a good friend." I pulled her to me and kissed her forehead. "Take my love, little cloud. I give it freely."

It didn't hurt, not in the least, but it did feel strange. I could almost see strands of green energy flow from me into the mare, her chitin seemed to shine. I hummed along to the tune I had heard moments ago, then turned to Twilight and my mouth fell open. Her horn was trickling soft purple motes of energy, flowing from her to Cirrus. Twilight looked at me and blushed slightly as we shared a warm smile. Soon Cirrus coughed, then sat up blinking. She stood, her body consumed by green fire once more. Soft silver wings emerged, a wonderful blue mane falling down across her back as Cirrus's green eyes looked out at us.

She beamed at us, holding the sphere of song between her wings. Her eyebrows narrowed in determination before she turned and walked toward the center of the chamber, her voice loud in song. It was strong, bright and beautiful, her voice filled with a strength that I was surprised to here. The smoke seemed to scream as it retreated from the moving golden aura surrounding our group. We marched forward, Cirrus leading the way in song until we reached the center of the smoke. There, lay something strange indeed.

It was immense, both beautiful and terrifying, the Siren Queen. She didn't move, nor did I believe she could. Her entire body was solid stone, frozen in a position of eternal slumber beneath the royal library. Her large claws and razor teeth couldn't hurt us, but I spotted something that definitely was a subject of concern: A royal red ruby. It sat nestled between her eyes, embedded in her forehead. It seemed to spew forth an endless supply of mist, fueled by the very essence of the stone statue.

Cirrus stepped forward, holding her orb as she sang, my voice following the words alongside her. Twilight watched the statue wearily as we approached. Cirrus sang louder, her voice growing in both volume and conviction as she pressed the orb ever closer to the red misty ruby. I watched as the smoke screamed in anguish, then the ruby cracked, like a wave of thunder across the room. Then it shattered completely, sending a wave of energy out that send us flying across the room. I tumbled back, landing on my face with all the grace of a lobbed brick.

I stood up shakily, both of the mares flapping their wings as they stared down at me. I blushed, but then looked forward as I heard a noise. The statue was moving, no, it was falling apart. Before my eyes, the Queen of Sirens turned to sand, hopefully never to return. The mist however, persisted. I looked around to Cirrus and nodded. She smiled, then held the orb between the three of us. We held it, feeling the song of a mare long gone wash over us as we sang along.

The mist was pushed back, first just up, then against the wall like a cornered beast. Then, with one final push, it was dispersed in a gold wave of magic. We fell backwards, utterly exhausted, and I passed out on the spot.

---

I blinked, staring up into the moving masses of water and lava that crossed the skies of the ancient library. I turned to see the cheery face of Clover and Twilight, before looking over at the ghost of Starswirl, who gave me a respectful nod. I stood up slowly, my head throbbing slightly, and for some reason, a painful spasm in my side. As I made sure I wasn't bleeding profusely, and trying to make sense of exactly what had happened, Starswirl stepped forward.

"Master Azure, thank you for your bravery in defeating the blight of the Siren's. I will make the full knowledge of my library available to you, though you might want to attend to another matter first." I glanced at him as he nodded behind me. Turning around, I found Cirrus, still in pegasus form, laying unconscious against the stone circle.

"What's wrong with her?" I asked to Twilight, who had bent down next to her.

"She's critically low on emotional energy," Twilight said with a sad smile. "She gave everything she had to destroy the mist, more than she had, really... "

"What can we do?" I asked Starswirl, my voice wavering slightly.

"She'll awaken soon, and well... " Starswirl said, and for a ghost, he still seemed able to blush. "She'll need a lot of love."

"That's fine, we can just do what we did before," I said with a wave of my hand.

"No, I don't think you understand, Uncle," Twilight said as she gave me an understanding smile. "She'll have a deep, savage, biological craving for love."

"And there's only one way to decide who's going to take the fall," Clover pipped up.

"Agreed," Starswirl said solemnly.

"One... two... three... not it!" Clover yelled.

"Not it!" Starswirl and Twilight chimed in unison.

My ears drooped. "You ponies are serious?"

Then I heard sound from behind me, and I turned to see Cirrus stand up uneasily. Then her eyes widened and she jumped at me, gripped around my chest and heaved me into the air. In an instant, I found myself carried across the library, towards a series of labyrinthine bookcases.

If I must put a friend's needs above my own, I shall. I looked up at her soft feathers and blue silky mane. And there’s just something about fliers...

Author's Note:

Hey, ponies! Here it is! This chapter sat at like three paragraphs for several months, my mind on other things. I'd like to thank Mr. Toast for motivating me to continue, picking me off my ass and handing me my pen. This chapter was written in the span of two days, and I loved it. Azure is a lot of fun to write, as well as Twilight and Cirrus. I've had requests for a, um, saucy one-shot as a separate story, and I'll think about it. If that's something any of you want to here, let me know. Also let me know if you think I've improved over my little hiatus, eheh.

Here's a link that the song that I used in this chapter: Boop

Here is a little M rated chapter that takes place between end of this chapter and the beginning of the next one. It's cannon, but not-crucial to the plot, still if it's your kind of thing, here it is

finally, I want to thank Peerimagination for doing the proofreading on this, the little editor I keep tied up in my basement.

As always, lemme know if you see any errors we missed and I want to hear any and all comments and questions you have for me.

With love and dedication, Dream of Ponies :twilightsheepish:

Comments ( 15 )

Hmm... I really like this chapter, but I feel the reference to fanfiction is out of place. It removes the reader from their immersion briefly, which is not something to do in a serious fic like this.

Alternatively, you could have Twilight mention how it sounds like something from one of her amateur novels, or something of a similar nature. But I have always found that referencing fanfiction, this site, or the Brony community in general within a fic that is not strictly comedy doesn't really fit that well.

Of course, this is just a suggestion, and you can do whatever you want.

Can't wait to read!
Edit (After Reading): YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Anyways, I'm almost done with the picture.

8157681 I guess the running joke of Twilight writing shipfics in her spare time isn't as funny as I thought. I didn't realize it was such an immersion breaker though... :twilightoops:

8157777 Yeah, while that was kinda funny, that joke is only known by a certain section of Bronies. I knew about it, but it's an older joke, and some might not get it. So it might also be a bit confusing to those people.

The joke about her writing shipfics might have worked, though, in a different situation. Like if another character discovered them accidentally, or Twilight accidentally "revealed" a ship that she particularly liked.

But it is a lot harder of a concept to introduce when only some people know the reference anymore. And these sorts of concepts are really hard to introduce without breaking the immersion.

Think of it as something like including a meme in the story. The meme may be hilarious, but the reader will have only seen it before in some other, real-life situation. Their mind goes to that first, and away from the story. Same with a lot of other reference humor. It can be done, but it is very hard to do. Hence why I try to avoid it in my own writing.

Of course, I don't think you should stop trying to do things like that. But I do think that you should have a prereader of sorts to ask, "Do you think this reference is all right in context with the story?" or something. Just an idea.

You need to write faster moonass. Seriously, you are slow as hell.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
8:49_5/13/2017

8160197 If I'm as slow as hell, then you're as slow as molasses, you edging little pony :facehoof:

8161356 Bro, I don't have much time to do shit...

~Crystalline Electrostatic~
21:3_5/13/2017

That went a little bit easier than expected, really. Sure, a bit of illusions wasting some of their energy and Cirrus coming close to death, but for the most part they managed to come out unscathed, and now Azure has booksbooksbooks. Looks like his niece inherited that from him, at least.

Before I read this, what is the Dark tag for ?
And how bad does it get ?

*Waltzes in after a multimonth fimfic break like nothing's happened*

"That's silly," Cirrus snorted. "Does that mean I get to hear Azure sing?"

Bwa ha ha, I wish.

If anything else, it'll be a great story to tell to my great nieces and nephews one day."

Oh Azure, how I've missed you.

I turned away to study the wall next to me. Yes, very interesting wall. Most unique, detailed slab of nothing I've ever seen.

Bwa ha ha

Oh, yay, we do get to 'hear' Azure sing after all. Beautiful~

I don't agree with Delsella; the reference to fanfiction existing doesn't feel that immersion breaking.

But I do agree with Emperor that this was a little too easy. It was a good beginning, seeing the horrifying illusions and having Cirrus break Azure free, and then having them break Twilight free together. But I was hoping to see Azure deliver an epic beatdown to a boss monster and it didn't happen. We finally get a chance to see Azure cut loose on something he can kill (...can't remember if there was another fight in the meantime but I remember a lot of events that were not fight scenes...) and we don't get to see what he's capable of.

What you have is good, but I was hoping for something more.

8420604
It's nice to see you again, Magic, I've honestly missed your comments. It's also nice that I wasn't stormed by a bunch of error being pointed out (not that that is unappreciated) and to see that you enjoyed this bit.

The only thing I can say in regards the Azure conflict is that, while he's pretty strong, and that I love magical writing magical duels, this was more to show his weakness than his strength. If it had been just a physical fight, then, yeah Azure would probably have won spectacularly, but nopony is infallible. In the end, it was a great moment to for another character to shine, and honestly, while the scene might not have been as 'epic' as it could have been, I'm still very satisfied with the turn of events.

I just need to sit down and actually write the last chapter, before really thinking on the sequel. I've a ton of other stories rattling around in my head as well, and it's a wonder it doesn't explode from all the crazy. I've written a few stories since you dipped out, maybe check 'em out? Especially the Octi-Scratch, you'll love that :pinkiehappy:

Please don't dip out for so long again, bud, you're one of my favorite commentors :twilightblush:

8420937
Well, there weren't many errors to point out. Either you've gotten better or you've gotten a better editor. Either way, congrats!

Twilight...took a step closer and extended a hoof. Then she seemed to change her mind as she pulled back and kept at a respectable distance.

Jesus, Twilight, get over it already.

"Does that mean I get to hear Azure sing?" [1]
"Do I look like some sort of stage pony, Cirrus?" [2]

[1]Probably not. [2]You really want an answer? :derpytongue2:

Our cheer lasted for a few moments before we heard a low groan from the room before us. The ground shook, my body rattling as tremors rushed up my legs.

Lesson learned. Never bring Pinkie here.

Yes, very interesting wall. Most unique, detailed slab of nothing I've ever seen.

That just made me laugh for some reason.

I coughed and hacked, then spat up something even redder than the evil fog that surrounded me.

...Yum. Yeah, that's not good.

Then a huge claw of black steel and blood-red scales rushed at me.

Black and red? Really? :ajbemused: ... :rainbowwild:

"Prepare to face the wrath of the mighty Azure, Slayer of a Thousand Monsters, Master of Ten Thousand Magics and the only stallion to ever make Princess Luna... "

Shut up and do something, Azure.

Where there had been a long hallway leading out to the grand library stairs, there was now a solid wall.

Well duh. Everyone knows you need to kill the boss before the exit opens up.

"Flames of Tartarus!"

Yelling out attack names? What is this, Digimon?

Then I saw it. It wasn't the Siren, or any sort of monster.
It was Twilight. Toasted, boiled and roasted to a crisp.

:rainbowderp: Dude, what the... Given the chapter title, this better be a dream or something.

"This is just another illusion... isn't it?'

Friggin' better be.

"What the buck is going on!"

That's what I wanna know!

"Seal of the Windigos: Torrential Ice Wall!"

Icedevimon, everyone. :trollestia:

"This is madness... " I muttered.

Madness? THIS. IS. EQUESTRIAAAAAAAAAA!
...Sorry. :twilightsheepish:

"Lost in time...
...you left me without a mainstay."

Damn. Those are some intense lyrics.

"How long is forever in your eyes?...
...no, I won't let this be our last goodbye."

Wasn't this a Luna song?

"Sounds like one of my bad fanfictions,"

Metahumor FTW.

"Take my love, little cloud. I give it freely."

D'awwwww.

...but I spotted something that definitely was a subject of concern: A royal red ruby.

Eyyyyyyyy.

I tumbled back, landing on my face with all the grace of a lobbed brick.

Quite graceful. Quite.

...trying to make sense of exactly what had happened, Starlight stepped forward.

Miss Glimmer, what are you doing here? :trollestia:

"One... two... three... not it!"

Totally saw that coming. :rainbowlaugh:

If I must put a friend's needs above my own, I shall.

And I'm sure it's going to be absolute torture. :trixieshiftright:


Well damn. That was quite a lot to take in. Mostly a mental battle, which in the end didn't seem to be all that climactic, but pretty well written action-wise. I like the development between Twilight, Azure and Cirrus (took Twilight long enough, geez), and to see her be the one to eventually shine was quite satisfying, especially since she claimed she wouldn't be much help at the beginning. Of course, that little end bit certainly helps. New ship on the horizon!

...Now where's the next friggin' chapter?? :flutterrage:

The combo breaker boop. All finished! You know what that means. Mwahahahaha!

8573153
Such is the life of a royal guard :fluttershysad:

Login or register to comment