• Published 9th Mar 2016
  • 3,817 Views, 13 Comments

Black Longings of the Draconic Heart - RoyalBardofCanterlot



Twilight discovers Spike is bearing a painful secret

  • ...
2
 13
 3,817

Chapter 1

He had many jewels. That is what Spike reflected on as he walked into the basement and curled onto the pile of bits. Most of them were what Twilight had given him. His weekly allowance. Sometimes he got extra if he had been particularly well-behaved. He tried to be well-behaved a lot. The jewels he had collected in the wastes outside of Ponyville. He had collected a great many of them. At first it had only been a few. Then the collection had grown. There were rubies and emeralds, sapphires and diamonds. All of them sparkled among the golden bits. He rarely spent bits these days except to buy candy or comic books. He had few needs.
I need the jewels. Only the jewels. What else could I possibly need? He thought as he burrowed himself into them. Twilight shouldn't be back for several hours. He had completed all of his chores. All that was left for him to do was to rest in his hoard.

Hoard? Is this a hoard?

The word had come unbidden from somewhere deep in his soul, some remnant of his draconic heritage. He had rejected much of his heritage. He tried to avoid greed. But this, this he couldn't avoid. His need for the shiny jewelry was intense, like a hunger. A physical craving. He craved for it more than he craved Rarity. He picked a fire ruby and held it to his chest. This was his most prized possession. Rarity had given it to him a month ago. It was his most prized treasure. He nuzzled it against his cheek thinking of the white unicorn. On some days the thought of her was all that inspired him to get out at all. To not stay with his hoard and never leave it.

I MUST stay with my hoard! Thieves could take it. Thieves, thieves. I must protect my precious jewels!

There was a light hissing sound. He realized it had come from himself.

Oh Celestia. What's happening to me?

Twilight kept trying to get him to get out. To go to Pinkie's surprise party or Rarity's birthday party. He wanted to, but what of the jewels? What if someone took them while he was gone? Besides Twilight was one to talk when it came to getting out more. He snorted. Applejack had once had to practically drag her from the library after she closed herself inside it for a month doing some crazy experiment. Something about sub-molecular particle's affect on growth spells. He'd never figured it out despite her telling it to him. He trusted Twilight. Twilight wouldn't take his jewels. Would she?

Of course she wouldn't! What are you thinking? Twilight's practically your mom. Hell, her magic hatched you. Wait, does that mean she actually IS my mom?

A creak of the door caused Spike to jump up. The purple unicorn he'd been thinking about stood at the opening of the basement. She flipped on a switch. Spike suppressed another hiss as the light flooded the room.

"I'm here, Twi."

"Oh, good."

She walked down the stairs. "I was wondering if you'd like to go with me to the Wingner concert."

"Um, no. I-I have something else planned."

She sat next to the small mountain of gold coins he was resting on. "What?"

"Well, I have to...um...mop the floor."

"You already did that. And you dusted all the books. And you cleaned the bathrooms. And you cleaned our room. And you love Wingner. He's your favorite composer. Even with that scene where Sieghoof slays Fafnir the Dragon."

"Maybe I'll go. I don't know."

Twilight stayed. "Spike, there's something I've been meaning to ask you."

"What?"

"Are you okay?"

Beads of sweat sprung on his face. "What? Of course I'm okay. Why wouldn't I be okay?"

"You didn't go to Rarity's party. Or Pinkie's. You rarely come with me to social events at all. Do you not like the other girls anymore?"

"Of course I do."

She stared at him.

"Well Pinkie not so much. I love her cupcakes though. I still love Applejack for saving my life. Dash is cool. And who doesn't like Fluttershy? You know how I feel about Rarity."

He unconsciously snuggled the ruby.

"Then what is it? Why are you becoming such a recluse?" She nuzzled him. "I want you to trust me enough to tell me if something's wrong."

Spike's lip quivered. He wasn't going to cry in front of Twilight. He hadn't done that in a long time. She nuzzled him again.

"Come on, Spike. I've known you since you were a hatchling. I know something's bothering you."

"It's weird."

She patted his head, rubbed his spines like she knew he liked. He sighed in pleasure.

"Spine-rubs? Oh come on. That's not fair. You know the most ferocious dragon in the world can be subdued by spine rubs."

"I sure do know that." She said continuing. "I swear you spend all your time around this gold. It's like you're turning into Fafnir..." She stopped.
Spike blushed.

"Oh. Spike, is it something to do with this gold?"

"I...I don't like leaving it. I feel like someone will take it. I don't know what's wrong with me."

She stood and took him into her hooves. "Spike. I really think we should go to that concert."

"But-"

"Spike, I don't know what's going on, but you can't spend all your time around gold. It's not healthy."

He writhed against her hold. She released him. "I know it isn't healthy, but when I'm away from it that's all I can think about it. What if someone takes it? Takes all my beautiful treasures?" He turned and looked it over.

Twilight noticed something glinting. She took it in her magic and lifted it up. Spike jumped up for it.

"Spike." She spoke in a very measured tone. "Is this my diamond necklace? The one Celestia gave to me?"

Spike whimpered. "I'm sorry."

She breathed, very deeply. As if she were trying to calm herself. "I've been looking for this." She clasped it around her neck.

"NO!" Spike roared leaping towards her. Twilight's horn flared and she caught him in a magical grip.

His jaw dropped. "Oh, Celestia Twilight, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to!"

She let him go. "I know you didn't. I doubt this is something you can control so I forgive you. But we're going to that concert if I have to drag you. In fact, we're going out every day from now on."

Spike shook his head. "I-I don't know if I can do it. I don't know if I can spend such a long time away from my treasure."

Twilight sat back down so she was facing him at eye-level. "Alright. How about once-a-week?"

"I-I might be able to."

"Also, have you stolen anything else?"

Spike looked down at the ground. "A few things."

"First thing tomorrow you're returning them."

"I can't." Spike whimpered.

"Okay. Do you enjoy being like this?"

"N-no."

"Do you want to change?"

Spike nodded. "Of course."

"Then you're returning what you stole." Her voice softened and she embraced Spike. Spike wrapped his arms around her and buried his face in her coat.

"It's going to be hard, but we'll get through this." She whispered. "I promise."

"Twi? Are you mad at me?"

She stroked his spines. "No. I'm just disappointed you didn't come to me sooner."

...
Spike sat by Twilight as Wingner's drama-considered the greatest in the history of Equestrian music-unfolded. The trumpets swelled, the drums beat and the room was filled with the stirring voices of the opera singers. He'd seen the drama before, but it continued to fascinate him.

He lost himself in the music. He lost himself in the strong, powerful melody as Sieghoof sang. Finally the opera came to a close, the last notes slowly dying away. His mind kept drifting back to his treasure, but every time he returned his attention to the play. He almost felt bad for Fafnir as Siegfried plunged the sword through him. Although, Fafnir wasn't really a dragon. Only a pony corrupted into one through his greed.

That legend alone spoke volumes about Pony's perception of dragons. The sad part was that Spike couldn't deny that the stereotype of dragon greed didn't have some truth to it.

Twilight stood and stretched. "So, ya wanna go get something at the Hayshack?"

"Sure!" He responded. He hopped on her back and they were off. Now that the music was gone he found his mind continuing to go back to his treasure at home. He was also starving.
My treasure will be fine. Nopony's going to sneak in and take it. He assured himself. The hayshack wasn't very crowded that time of night.

They found a seat. Twilight ordered fried hay sandwiches for the two of them. Spike preferred gems, but pony food was something he'd acquired a taste for. He munched on the hay sandwich.

"Hey, Twi?"

"Hmm?"

"Thanks for not getting mad at me."

She swallowed her bite of the sandwich. "Don't mention it. I think it's part of your dragon nature. Getting mad or punishing you would be
utterly counterproductive."

"Part of my dragon nature...does that mean I'll always be like this?"

"It's always possible to transcend one's nature. Change is always possible. Ancient unicorns were completely corrupted by their-by our magic. We did terrible things. Starting with Queen Majesty we embraced the noble side of our nature. We learned to use magic to heal, to create. We made peace with the other tribes. We made peace within ourselves." Her voice wavered. "But I understand those ancient ones. I understand your struggle. I too have been tempted by the darker side of my nature."

"Twi...you know nopony holds that incident against you right?" Spike said. "Even Celestia forgave you."

"I know, Spike. But I used my magic to enslave-don't soften the blow-I enslaved them over something so trivial as a late assignment. Like my ancestors would have. What evil lurks in me waiting to come out?"

Spike jumped up on the table and wrapped his arms around her. She nuzzled him.

"Twilight, you've cared for me since I was hatched. You've always been there for me. You use your magic to help anypony-anyone-that needs your help You've used your magic to save this land so many times. You're not evil."

Twilight smiled. "I know. Thank you for saying it though. You're a good person, Spike. Who knows? If you get over this maybe you'll guide the dragons on a better path like Queen Majesty did for the Unicorns."

"Do you really think so?" He chuckled. "King Spike has a nice ring to it."

She chuckled. "It does doesn't it?"

...
The next day was hard. Spike gulped as he looked over the treasure he'd collected. Giving up what he'd taken by deception would be hard. Twilight stood by his side.

Mine, mine....no. No. It isn't.

He breathed when he noticed that he had started shivering.

"You okay?" Twilight asked him, placing a hoof on his shoulder.

"I will be."

He began pointing out the things he'd stolen. A brooch belonging to Cheerlie. A hooflace from Berry Punch. Several items from Ruby Red's jewelry store. Twilight picked them up in her magic and he followed her as they began their solemn journey. The first stop was Cheerlie. She opened the door when they knocked. Luckily it was Saturday and she was home.

"Good morning, Twilight. Spike."

Spike gulped.

"Spike has something he'd like to tell you." Twilight said, like a stern mother.

"Oh? What is it?"

Twilight lifted the brooch from her saddlebag. Spike took it in his claws and handed it to her.

"Ah, finally returning it I see." Cheerlie said. "I thought you would."

"Wait, you mean you knew I took it?"

"I saw you when you did it last week. If you hadn't returned it by now I'd have told Twilight. But, I know you. You're good at heart so I knew you'd return it."

"Wow. Um, thanks for the vote of confidence." Spike said.

She smiled down at him. "See you around town." She said before closing the door. In point of fact, she had never actually liked the brooch which was a gift from her color-blind sister.

"That was easy." Spike said.

They then went to find Berry Punch. After Twilight explained the situation Berry grabbed the hooflace from Spike's claws and put it on.

"You thieving brat! You should know better!" She shouted.

"I'm sorry." Spike mumbled.

Berry shook her head. "Well, you'd best not do it again." She said slamming the door in his face.

"That didn't go as well." Spike commented.

"Well, not everypony is going to be so forgiving as Cheerlie I'm afraid." Twilight said as they walked towards Ruby Red's store. Ruby Red, as his name implied was a red Earth Pony with a silver mane and tail.

"Good morning, Twilight."

"Good morning, Mr. Red."

She made Spike hand him the jewelry he'd taken after explaining the situation. Ruby's face turned redder as he blushed in anger.

"Give me that you little thief! Good-for-nothing, Scaleback!" Ruby shouted taking the jewelry. "Next time I catch you stealing-"

"There won't be a next time! I promise!" Spike said.

"If there is I'll call the guards and have you turned into a purse for my wife!"

Something in Twilight's brain snapped. "Spike. Go outside."

One look at Twilight compelled him to obey. Twilight got muzzle-to-muzzle with the now nervous store owner.

"I understand you being mad at Spike. I'm not pleased with him myself at the moment. But no one-absolutely NO ONE threatens to hurt him. Got it?

"You should control him better."

Twilight snorted. "Parenting advice from you? That's rich. At least Spike has the good graces to acknowledge when he's done something wrong and tries to fix it. Unlike Diamond Tiara's little pet hoof-licker, your daughter."

"There is no need for such language."

"Call Spike a scaleback, I'll call your daughter a hoof-licker. And when ARE you going to put your hoof down with her? Last time I saw Applebloom she was in tears over something Silver Spoon said to her."

"The way I discipline my daughter is none of your concern!"

"Nor is the way I raise Spike. Good day. I will never set hoof in here again."

She marched out the door. Spike was waiting for her.

"What'd you say?" Spike asked her. She patted his head.

"I just set some things straight. Wanna go get some ice cream?"

...
"You know, I'm proud of you." Twilight told him as they enjoyed the chocolate ice cream cones.

"Proud of me? Why?" Spike asked her. They were seated on a park bench.

"Lots of kids steal. You had the strength to return what you stole, to take responsibility for your actions. And I know how hard it must have been."

"Yeah. Yeah, I guess you're right." Spike said leaning into her. She kissed his forehead.

"You're going to be okay, you know that? We'll get through this."

Spike nestled closer to her and continued licking his ice cream. "As long as I have you to help me through I think I will be."

Comments ( 13 )

´soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucking nice

:moustache: sorry Rarity I'm a thief, a clepto . . .
:duck: I must confess Spike I too have stolen something of value
:moustache: wut????:twilightoops:
:raritywink: Your heart Spikey poo........:facehoof:

pre09.deviantart.net/17a3/th/pre/i/2015/318/a/0/color_family_run2_by_hillbe-d9gpigs.jpg

Quite a cool idea. I would support a continuation if one were to happen.

A beautiful bit of storytelling, especially the use of colorful language. This story made me sad, made me really angry, and left me happy. Bravo!

Wow. Another stirring of Spike's greed. I don't know what to think about this.

Well done, I like how you brought up Twilight's own mistakes. She is definitely the pony who would understand Spike the most cause of their close bond and respective brushes with their own worst instincts. The next pony I could imagine Spike dealing with this alongside is Rarity because she has been shown to also have a severe problem with greed and after Twilight she is closest to Spike. I guess Applejack would be third cause of her humble nature and honesty, making her the opposite of greedy. Fluttershy, Rainbow, and Pinkie would probably help Spike out with this, but they wouldn't have the impact the others would.

Interesting idea. I like it. Reminds me vaguely of addiction, which makes a lot of sense. I've always been told that giving up an addiction or living with compulsion is a lot like what you portray here. An interesting angle and one with a lot more potential than "get gift, get consumed by greed."

Well done, have a like.

Why did you take the series down?

7552206 With the exception of this chapter, it wasn't very good. It's my fanfiction.net account as "Family Matters" if you want to read it.

"You thieving brat! You should know better!" She shouted.

And like that, I wouldve kept it for myself if I were Spike. Geez, Berry, he's trying to be NICE and RETURN IT!

Spike wants to abduct Princesses and eat unicorns, like all proper dragons.

And there's plenty of both in Equestria! Lucky him! :pinkiecrazy:

What happen to rest of the series I don't need sleep I need bloody answers

9802708
The series dealt with vignettes revolving around different moments with the Mane 6 and their families...other than this one it wasn't very good.

Login or register to comment